Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 1, 7:57 AM

Nov 2011
Man, the expression and reaction of Rose seeing all those who fell in battle...heartbreaking and horrifying. It's understandable tough given what the demon army have done to them.

Rose put all her effort to not just survive but fight for the sake of her comrades. I feel like Rose's shout wasn't just pain but also a grim reality of death really is. This episode goes to show that Rose truly valued her party members.
Mar 1, 7:58 AM

Dec 2021
So that's how Rose lost her eye, eh?

In the murky depths of the Darkness of Llinger, Rose's forces clash fiercely with the Demon Lord's Army. Just as Rose and her soldiers begin to assert dominance, Nero, a commanding figure among the enemy ranks, issues a ruthless command, urging his troops to charge heedless of their own safety. With each passing moment, Rose's comrades fall, casualties of the brutal exchange. Nero presses on relentlessly, his onslaught driving Rose to the brink of fury, her composure shattered in the face of unyielding assault.

This episode escalated quickly with Owl's demise being fairly predictable since she wasn't part of the present. Rose's retaliation against the demon was a powerful scene. The challenge posed by this stupid Darkness of Llinger continues to trouble the Rescue Squad, regardless of whether they're dealing with it in the past or present. I love how they go into Rose's grief, it adds depth to her character. Despite her pain, Rose remains a strong and determined character. It's heartening to see her finally able to find that person she was finding for, with Usato.

Now, back to the present, we’re gearing up for war, there's a hope that the mistakes of the past won't be repeated.
IzanaSolosMar 1, 8:01 AM

Mar 1, 8:37 AM
Apr 2020
Why is there a fart sound played when the first female knight (Naruka i believe) dies? It sounds so funny to me
Mar 1, 8:52 AM

Mar 2013
Whoever said she was a hidden antagonist,
they couldn't be more wrong.

Another best girl died.

What a tragic episode.
I finally get to see this adapted.
Owl's voice is so cute... (reminds me of Roxy from MT)

Rose and Usato can finally be 🚢 together... not that I want to. 😏
CrazyButNot4UMar 1, 9:09 AM
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Mar 1, 9:26 AM
Sep 2015
This episode is hard to watch even though I know what's gonna happen to the first generation party. Or it could be that it's hard to watch BECAUSE I know what's gonna happen to them.

Rose is such a great character, a kind that I usually see in male character, so it's nice to see her being a female and also being great at the same time.

Meanwhile I assume there's some kind of surprise information on who's that black knight.
Mar 1, 10:14 AM
Nov 2022
This is going far past an average isekai teritory
Mar 1, 10:34 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
I expected tragedy and I got a handful of that. It’s nice to see that the vice commander’s final words finally clicked in for her to move past the incident and she’s finally found someone like her in our main character.

Nothing’s more terrifying than a troop who’ve no regard for life, huh? Didn’t expect the demons to take that up…

Looks like the bad demon commander did die after all? At least that’s the vibe from the end there. Time to face the little disciple that she let go now. That’s not going to be easy either, I’m sure.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 1, 10:51 AM

May 2019
We got the conclusion to Rose's backstory and it's a shame that none of her party members survived, and that Aul sacrificed herself to save her.

At this point I'm not sure who that black knight could be but I have a feeling that Usato will have to deal with him.
Mar 1, 11:07 AM
May 2021
Reply to Moyii
Why is there a fart sound played when the first female knight (Naruka i believe) dies? It sounds so funny to me
@Moyii Bro that's the sound of skull crushing and blood spluttering
Mar 1, 11:49 AM

Jan 2013
Wow how weak was that team to get destroyed like that. The panic and lack of resolve was very pathetic. Who the hell trains these losers?
Mar 1, 12:06 PM
Feb 2024
Watching Rose’s teammates fall one by one was heartbreaking. Seeing the ones she loved, respected, trained, just disappearing one at a time and then losing her eye as if to add insult to injury. We all knew it was coming, but seeing it actually HAPPEN felt more real. Watching Aul sacrifice herself for Rose was the worst part though, you could tell that that hurt Rose like nothing else in the world.
Mar 1, 12:14 PM

Jul 2020
Reply to Vooo
Wow how weak was that team to get destroyed like that. The panic and lack of resolve was very pathetic. Who the hell trains these losers?
@Vooo I agree, imagine a bunch of supposedly well-trained soldiers getting killed by a household hammer, lol.

Overall, I really enjoyed this backstory episode though.
Mar 1, 12:36 PM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
Best episode until now.
I got a little emotive by the end, i can only hope that this get a second season one day.
Mar 1, 12:55 PM
May 2019
S tier retarded writing. They defeat the demons, but of course they don't kill them so they can magically become kamikaze. Then, at the end, for extra points, let the general escape. I guess he must be now the black knight or some other villain that will appear in the future if this gets another season. Now we can have Rose all sad, in case it was not really obvious from previous eps. Really disappointing, this series is coming down fast.
Mar 1, 1:16 PM
Jul 2020
This was the worst episode of the show so far, point blank period. Poor writing, contrived emotions, uninspired story beats; what a waste of two weeks of my time on these flashbacks.
Mar 1, 1:17 PM

May 2015
It wasn't really like we learned anything new from these two episodes... I don't think they were completely necessary, they lacked emotional impact because we weren't attached to any of those characters in the first place and we already knew what would happen to them and how it affected Rose... But if they made the background story even longer it would have been too boring to watch. All in all, I didn't hate it but I'm glad we are back to the main storyline.
Mar 1, 1:37 PM
Aug 2023
As much as I knew the whole squad would get wiped out, I still almost teared up at two precise moments (Aul’s last moments and Rose finally letting herself cry a bit)

My worry was that the flashback would take up the entire episode again and we wouldn’t even get back to the present day. While they did avoid that, with four eps left I’m still a tad skeptical if they can get through all of the looming battle without having it seem rushed
Mar 1, 1:53 PM
Aug 2023
@bitz1209 They didn’t defeat all of them, only two were dead if I remember right and the rest were in a stalemate with Rose’s team (who was already outnumbered). And it’s not like the spell the general cast brought the dead ones back to life either.

Also I doubt Rose would be sad in the present day if the General turned out to be the black knight more than angry and vengeful, and Tbf either one would go against her vow to not show weakness anymore
jpexistsMar 1, 1:58 PM
Mar 1, 1:59 PM
elk sensei

Oct 2013
TWO EPISODES OF FLASHBACK - WHAT IS THE POINT OF THIS ANIME ANYWAY!!

This anime had so much potential, and it's just thrown it all away - I'm disgusted and nearly ready to drop it!!!!!!!!!
elkensteyinMar 1, 2:04 PM
Mar 1, 2:11 PM
Nov 2016
What a waste of time. I love the manga but 2 flashback eps in a row is crazy. Might be fine while binge watching/reading but weekly ? Hell no.
Sad, til the flashbacks i really like the anime but now it's a 6/10 at best, with no way up.

Fuck is the point of a flashback we all knew the result of anyway ? Should've summarized it in 2 minutes.
Mar 1, 2:26 PM

Feb 2019
Well we knew it was coming but it doesn’t make Aul and the battalion’s death any easier.. very emotional episode that showed Rose’s transition to the character we’ve come to know and love now. “Continue to be the person we admire” 😢 man I wish things had gone differently for Aul.

Rose could’ve gone for the kill on Nero too but refused to because of Amilia being there.. reminded her too much of Aul..

Josh’s parents stopping Rose on the street to thank her for reforming their son was such a sweet moment. She was understandably down in the dumps and felt she let her subordinates down, but the reality is she changed all of their lives for the better and they were more than willing to die in battle under her.

Her seeing their spirits or imagining their presence, however you wanna classify it, was such a nice scene too. The great Rose breaking down and crying.. showing her vulnerability was a touching moment. Instead of wallowing in her grief she’s determined to honour their memory by training a new generation for the upcoming fight.. perfect way to lead us into this big battle.. and she’s got Usato now too who is exactly the type of person she’s been wanting to fight alongside.

I hope we finally get into the war next week. Been ready for this war for like 4 weeks now lol.
Marinate1016Mar 1, 2:54 PM
Mar 1, 2:52 PM

Jun 2016
We saw her only for 2 episodes but Aul will be missed, she was so cute.
Very emotional episode, we could see it coming but it was hard to watch anyway...
Mar 1, 3:03 PM
Apr 2018
Reply to Vooo
Vooo said:
The panic and lack of resolve was very pathetic

@Vooo They only know attack move, retreat is not an option. The well-trained party had no useful ability whatsoever even being in a fantasy world.
Mar 1, 3:36 PM

Sep 2023
At first I thought these 2 flashback episodes will contain something important for the plot, but now we all can clearly see that it wast just a waste of time. Wasting half of episode on Rose telling her story, and then having 2 weeks of flashbacks about the same story in a row were a complete letdown...

guidipolito said:
The well-trained party had no useful ability whatsoever even being in a fantasy world.

Are you talking about ability to swipe your sword to kill someone? Then they shouldn't have joined her squad.🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Mar 1, 4:13 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to phantomfandom
This episode is hard to watch even though I know what's gonna happen to the first generation party. Or it could be that it's hard to watch BECAUSE I know what's gonna happen to them.

Rose is such a great character, a kind that I usually see in male character, so it's nice to see her being a female and also being great at the same time.

Meanwhile I assume there's some kind of surprise information on who's that black knight.
@phantomfandom I will not be surprised if the black knight form the demon army is also an isekai character from their original world. Spoiler maybe.??
Mar 1, 4:49 PM
Apr 2021
Wow that was actually sad seeing Rose’s team on screen instead of her just talking about them and tbh it was tearjerking a little bit bc I’d never expected to see Rose in such a state of depression before, her sitting on the ground curled was NOT something id see a person of her character to do, and her hallucinating her teammates was also sad this woman was going THROUGH IT☹️😔☹️

I see a lot of hate about the flashback taking up almost 2 episode and tbh I don’t see a problem I mean ppl wouldn’t like it if Rose’s backstory was only for one half of an episode, y’all would say “tHis WaS a hAlf aSS bAckStoRy” or some shit😒 I’m happy we got a fleshed out backstory to get to know the characters
instead of just mindless isekai action🤷🏽‍♂️

The beatdown Rose gave to that demon was satisfying she laid out that nigga with them left right hooks ong I just wish she killed him but that demon girl reminded her of Aul so she didn’t it’s shame but homegirl was traumatized

The ending song giving visuals dedicated to Rose’s team got me man especially seeing Aul and Rose together it’s like they were mother and daughter yk😭
Treyv0nMar 1, 4:57 PM
Mar 1, 4:54 PM

Sep 2023
The backstory continues and as expected, Rose old team gets massacred, it was brutal. However, the ending was pretty wholesome with Rose complimenting Usato. Next week, we will finally see the start of the war!
Mar 1, 4:57 PM

Nov 2021
I know a lot of people didn't like how long this flashback was but I really loved it and made me appreciate Rose as a character way more. I was tearing up by the end of this ep. There is still 4 episodes left so I am not too worried about the pacing.
Mar 1, 5:55 PM
Mar 2021
oi, what kind of flashback episode is this? I can feel the emotion from Rose. No... 😭😭😭
Mar 1, 5:57 PM
Oct 2019
cool episode, I liked seeing Rose's past, it was incredible and I like her a lot more, please marry me!
Mar 1, 6:13 PM

Sep 2011
Boy this flashback really made Rose and her squad look dumb. The demons' plan only worked cause they panicked and fumbled hard. Also so super convenient that the bad guy just happened to have a mana disabling sword
Mar 1, 6:26 PM

Mar 2007
That ... that was a 10/10 episode!

We already knew Rose's team died, but seeing how it all happened was still shocking. And then when Rose was all alone in the mess hall and her team came back and reminded her she needs to live and STILL be the commander they all respected, OMG the feels (T.T) I just couldn't help crying.

Expected an average isekai, wasn't expecting a hard hitting yet emotional backstory and now loving Rose even more as a character.

This is how you do a backstory. During a break in the story, and not thrown into the middle of some fight (looking at you, Demon Slayer Swordsmith Village Arc).
Mar 1, 7:23 PM

Nov 2009
RIP cute senpai would be.

Sadge that current MC ends up with burly men instead...

Rose's downfall was cause she didn't think the Demon would commit Kamikaze...

Which is even more ironic when Rose let that Demon commander go cause the Demon dude apparently also had a rookie that looked similar to Owl (Aul)...

The Flashback was extra sad when Rose reminiscence about her party members and talked to their "ghosts" (aka inside Rose's head, cause she's gone crazy) before they "left"

LOL @ Usato's reaction to Rose complimenting him with "I am glad I found you"

Also... did Rose just mentioned "I need a healer that can run around and taking out threats"?... not "run around and heal"? HUH? LOL...

So she doesn't really want a healer, but rather some sort of Monk that heals and fight at the front?

Dark Knight: "I don't care if they're monsters or not"

OH... You'll going to be seeing REAL Monsters... I can already see Rose and Usato going crazy on the battlefield...
Nothing Written Here But Us Anime Bunnies *boing boing boing*
Mar 1, 8:14 PM
May 2023
for me, this kind of backstory is important for the character development for Rose especially when she overcome from regret having her teammates being wiped out by the demons, although it should be shown later according to LN/manga (i don't read both of them thought), despite all those comments earlier

Previously i thought that the dark knight might be the one from previous Rose teammates, but for now i think Nero (the demon captain that almost died?) might be the dark knight himself.

and also why suddenly when Rose saw amilia saving her master, rose kind of stopped for a while, kind of remembering Aul/Owl on amilia's face.

we might can get an unexpected ending, who knows...
Mar 1, 8:22 PM
Dec 2019
I liked the flashback.
Mar 1, 11:30 PM
Apr 2023
That backstory was worth it after seeing how Rose made Nero a vegetable in mere seconds - and the way they changed the ending theme to show Rose's fallen subordinates are kind of touching.
I guess we'll see how OP Usato can be in this final stretch of the season.
Mar 2, 1:19 AM

Feb 2018
Oof tragic flashback do be tragic. Waiting to see how the upcoming battle will turn out

Never ending plan to watch list...

Mar 2, 1:29 AM
Dec 2023
bro i can't believe i cried watching this episode lol
Mar 2, 1:47 AM

Apr 2011
Reply to Vooo
@Vooo They held against beings that are explicitly stronger and have more mana than them even though they were massively outnumbered until their enemy used suicide rush.

Well, it's true they lost their composure, but Linger until that point was peacfull nation. I doubt any of squad member even experienced actual fight against someone that posed danger to them.
Mar 2, 2:18 AM

Aug 2017
Back to back flashback episodes, normally they would bore me but this actually made me look forward more to the future events, we all knew Rose lost her previous comrades but giving us this background episode made me care more for her past trauma and the future battle that is going to happen against the demons, since she has a score to settle.
Mar 2, 3:16 AM

Apr 2022
I usually hate flashback episodes, especially two in a row - but I love Rose and her story so I enjoyed this quite a bit.
Mar 2, 6:56 AM

Jun 2016
very sad episode but this take too long duration
Mar 2, 11:22 AM
Feb 2024
Really Captivating Episode And I hope the series continues✨🔥
Mar 2, 1:43 PM

Oct 2019
So this is how Rose was made... Rose. She was already quite strong but that experience forged her into being stronger; it was also what made her establish her current brutal healing magic training.

Arguably the best episode yet. I expected Nero Argence was going to be Amila's brother but he was her master after all. But who is that fully armored demon? Could he be the demon sword in demon form?

So Amila thinks the rescue team are "kidnappers who steal the wounded". This and the willingness to sacrifice their own in battle shows how different the demons are.
Mar 2, 3:24 PM
Feb 2020
I like how the dark elements of the series are starting to develop
Mar 2, 6:26 PM
May 2018
One episode of flashback is enough, didn't expect another.
Mar 2, 8:08 PM
Aug 2022
This flashback was nice, but why did we need an extrapolation of events that were already heavily alluded to? It does add depth to Rose's character but that added depth is so minuscule compared to what is already established about her. We spent two episodes for a sprinkle of character development when it could just been half of an episode.
Mar 2, 11:32 PM
Jul 2019
It was a very dramatic and sad episode, I'm looking forward to the new episode.
Mar 3, 1:25 AM

Oct 2017
Already knew this was gonna happen but it was still hard to watch, Aul my girl and the rest of them. The despair Rose must have felt, damn. I want to see them kick Amilla's ass, trying to act like the victim, like bruh. Btw uh is the black knight Aul by some chance? Maybe they used the cursed sword to do something to her. They do seem to have that same cursed aura.
Mar 3, 3:11 AM

Mar 2022
Still enjoyable but feels like its lost its pacing a bit, i guess they want to build to a finale for the end of a season, it was nice to see ross's backstory but it feels very much like it would of been better as single episode.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chiyu Mahou no Machigatta Tsukaikata Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 29

109 by G_Spark233 »»
Jun 10, 4:29 PM

Poll: » Chiyu Mahou no Machigatta Tsukaikata Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22

59 by G_Spark233 »»
Jun 10, 3:48 PM

Poll: » Chiyu Mahou no Machigatta Tsukaikata Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 15

68 by RicFie »»
May 26, 2:43 PM

Poll: » Chiyu Mahou no Machigatta Tsukaikata Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 5

140 by ALUCARD47 »»
May 26, 1:01 AM

Poll: » Chiyu Mahou no Machigatta Tsukaikata Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 19

75 by EvandroBraz »»
May 5, 6:01 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.