Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 23, 2020 12:04 PM

Jan 2020
Threads discussing this topic probably have been created before, but I'm very interested to learn about anime that didn't age well because of the controversial topics they decided to include or even focus on in the anime.
IrrelevantGuyJul 23, 2020 12:11 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 23, 2020 12:37 PM

Jul 2019
In my opinion, Serial Experiments Lain is an anime that aged absolutely horribly.
Jul 23, 2020 2:38 PM
Aug 2015
Elfen lied and future diary. Yandare protagonists, useless blood and gore, useless male leads
Jul 23, 2020 2:39 PM

May 2019
Aside the aesthetics, right? to be fair. There are many old anime with great stories that could receive a remake without to change the plot itself.

So i think about spies stories and stuff following the fashion of 70 and 80s Cold War.

It is a pain to watch something like Golgo 13 today.

From late 90's and the decade of 2000's, i guess most of Shoujo+Bishounen anime.

The boys are still the same with shounen, but looks like the girls changed their tastes.
Rob7Jul 23, 2020 2:48 PM
Jul 23, 2020 3:08 PM
Jul 2018
i think nanatsu no taizai aged like milk
Jul 23, 2020 11:06 PM
Jul 2018
Slayers, Higurashi, Trigun... list can go no and on.

These shows just have a different sense of humor, slow paced, or are irrelevant these days.
Jul 23, 2020 11:08 PM

Jan 2009
Darling in the FranXX it was so popular back then now its forgotten unless its Zero Two fan arts
Jul 23, 2020 11:13 PM

Apr 2020
must be SAO, from genre defining, to butt of the joke

Jul 23, 2020 11:15 PM
Jun 2020
The majority of anime produced by Bee Train.
deg said:
Darling in the FranXX it was so popular back then now its forgotten unless its Zero Two fan arts
I prefer more Ichigos
Jul 23, 2020 11:17 PM
Jul 2018
wape said:
The majority of anime produced by Bee Train.

Yeah the emo moody action flicks that are just an excuse for guys to see lesbian action did not age well at all...
Jul 23, 2020 11:39 PM

Jun 2013
I found GS Mikami really hard to watch. It had a lot of humor in it that was funny in it's time, but now not so much...
~Where's Gnasty Gnorc? I'll torch him!~
Jul 23, 2020 11:54 PM

Feb 2020
Elfen Lied. I can somewhat see what the hype was all about back when it first aired considering how it handled pretty dark topics that weren't often found in anime, but now that it's not the case anymore this show, in my opinion, comes off as pretty immature and very edgy in comparison, with a very big use of unnecessary violence just for shock value that back then worked, but now kinda makes it look like the writer didn't know how to handle dark topics without shocking the audience in an attempt to keep them invested.
Not only that, but the art and the characters didn't age well either. The characters are for most of them very bland, the few interesting ones barely got any screentime, their depth is very superficial... And as for the art, it looks just as bland and the animation is very bad.
Jul 24, 2020 12:19 AM
Jul 2018
I guess I'm going to second Haruhi, it's not a bad show by any means but I imagine modern viewers would be dumbfounded at how it managed to achieve such overwhelming popularity and hype.
Jul 24, 2020 1:43 AM

Mar 2014
Evangelion (the TV series) for me.
I get that it's one of the most influential series ever, but it has a lot of tropes that I don't like in anime. I also found Asuka to be super unbearable. And what the heck were those last 2 episodes? If they didn't have enough budget, why planned that many episodes in the first place?
Maybe I'm a bit too harsh on it since I was pretty damn late to the party (I first watched it a year or two ago), but on the other hand, I actually think The End of Evangelion is a great movie. Haven't watched any of the new movies, tho. But I might consider it someday.
Also "A Cruel Angel's Thesis" is an opening theme that ages like a wine fine. That is still a banger of a song.

Oh, I'm also gonna third Suzumiya Haruhi. The only anime that I would truly call "overrated" and I hate using that word.
That "Endless Eight" arc can go to hell. I actually watched all of those stupid pointless eight episodes of torture thinking that there would be something clever underneath them and I was dead wrong. You want us to feel FOR the characters, not for us to feel LIKE the characters.
And the rest of the show are just the most generic SOL nonsense with some mystery & sci-fi element shoehorned in. I guess the "meta comedy" was groundbreaking at the time, but that's about the only thing going for it (and the soundtrack I guess) and a lot of other series (like Gintama, Monogatari) has done a far better job at "meta comedy" since.
But funny enough, like Evangelion, I actually really liked the Suzumiya Haruhi movie (and the Nagato Yuuki-chan spinoff series). It's just the main TV series that I just couldn't stand. I think the Nagato Yuuki-chan series is far too underrated and waaaay better than Suzumiya Haruhi (TV).
Jul 24, 2020 2:04 AM

Dec 2018
Lucky Star. I love it, but I don’t think newer fans will get as much enjoyment from it.
Jul 24, 2020 2:09 AM

May 2018
Monochrosanity said:
Lucky Star. I love it, but I don’t think newer fans will get as much enjoyment from it.

I know what you mean. It's pure SoL at its finest
Jul 24, 2020 2:10 AM

Nov 2016
The first saint seiya tv show, I love it to death but man rewatching those earlier eps was the brutal awakening.
Jul 24, 2020 4:19 AM

Jan 2018
DBZ has aged like milk to me. Sure it's undeniable what it's done for battle shonen, but there's plenty of series that have done better with its formula.
What a beautiful Duwang
Jul 24, 2020 4:52 AM
Aug 2013
I usually think all the old anime get better as they aged, I don't think any of the old anime aged poorly. However the only anime I can say aged badly were the old anime with CGI in it like the first beyblades, beast wars and initial D. Besides that those anime are actually still quite enjoyable to watch now even with the badly aged CGI
~AnimeDownUnder~

Jul 24, 2020 7:37 AM

May 2019
Random MAL users opinion is random.

I'll open a thread about "Anime that are still very contemporary and haven' t aged at all".

I'm sure that 1/3 of the awnsers will match with entries mentioned above.

Jul 24, 2020 10:21 AM

Aug 2017
I like Saint Seiya (main show) but it aged pretty bad. Pretty repetitive.

I'm surprised that SAO was mentioned, S3 revived the franchise.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 24, 2020 10:23 AM

Oct 2010
PerfectAzul said:
In my opinion, Serial Experiments Lain is an anime that aged absolutely horribly.

I'd be particularly interested to know the reason behind this.
Jul 24, 2020 10:35 AM

Jun 2015
uhh... honestly, the way most shows, not just older ones, represent women is fairly archaic

like, sao is a pretty good example (especially if you consider kirito's literal rapist scene in the ln.. tho a lot here may defend it as a culteral standard to keep going when the girl constantly says no)

but, i guess in context, looking at a lot of tomino's work is eye opening
and go nagai requires a lot of patience

also, i watched this ova recently, and while the animation is god tier, the use of women is pretty disgusting (still worth watching for animation tho)

Jul 24, 2020 10:37 AM
Jul 2018
Madalineko said:
Elfen lied and future diary. Yandare protagonists, useless blood and gore, useless male leads

This is exactly my answer, i can't agree more.
Jul 24, 2020 10:38 AM

Jun 2015
Rob7 said:

I'll open a thread about "Anime that are still very contemporary and haven' t aged at all".

yeah
i tend to avoid AD since the responses here are somehow worse than in CD and CE
and that says a lot

Jul 24, 2020 10:40 AM

Aug 2009
I still fuck with Elfen Lied, but there are shows out there that handle mental illness better.

Jul 24, 2020 12:22 PM

Nov 2008
Most early 2000's harem anime, the only ones that are even remembered well in Japan are Love Hina, Negima, and Sister Princess. Anime such as Futakoi and Happy Lesson have been mostly forgotten today (the latter though aged the poorest of the two).

Jul 24, 2020 12:25 PM

Jun 2019
I fundamentally don't understand the concept at the basic level of something "not aging well". As in, the premise makes no sense to me.

Time passing doesn't reduce art's quality. It only increases public ignorance of and prejudicial attitudes toward it, narrowing accessibility. It's still as worthy at its essence as it ever was. To me proclaiming things "don't age well" is just a shallow and dismissive mindset which unnecessarily and artificially constrains and limits people's ability to be open to experiencing a wide variety of things across mediums for no good reason other than banal fickle pure superficiality.
Jul 24, 2020 12:37 PM

Dec 2017
I think Black Clover was better at the beginning also One Piece was better in the past and now its still good but less
Don't fuck up the present, it's connected to your future!
Jul 24, 2020 12:40 PM
Sep 2017
I watched Clannad: After Story a year ago, and I didn't really like it. It was mainly because I couldn't get used to the art style, but a lot of it was also because the character tropes are really annoying. It was fine as a comedy, but when it got serious, it became bad. Maybe it's because it didn't really age well. I enjoyed Little Busters though, as it is still rather modern.
hello
Jul 24, 2020 12:42 PM

Nov 2008
Rose_Player said:
I don't know, but i think that isekai genre won't age well...

That's actually true but moreso in the LN medium, that whole genre in the LN medium will not age well and will end up being forgotten much like 2000's harem anime where only 3 are fondly remembered.

Jul 24, 2020 1:08 PM

Sep 2014
SAO Alicization season 2 part 2 (the one airing right now). Who would have thought it would be a good idea to show tentacle rape in a show made for teen in 2020?
Jul 24, 2020 1:24 PM

Feb 2016
My #1 answer is the manga known as Ayako. The only readers who have any chance of understanding the story are those who lived through postwar Showa Japan. I'm baffled it was ever translated.

hverfa said:
uhh... honestly, the way most shows, not just older ones, represent women is fairly archaic

The women of Kirihito are poorly written even by Tezuka's low standards. It's considered one of his best seinen manga, with a MAL score of just under 8.

Rob7 said:

This would not surprise me.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Jul 24, 2020 4:36 PM

Jun 2015
@lucifrost
i havent read, but my small exposure to tezuka leads me to believe you

Jul 24, 2020 7:38 PM

Jul 2019
Ouran high School Host Club fasho. When I watched it i noticed a few things that everyone seemed to overlook since it was an anime that a lot of people watched when they were pretty young, and then people started rewatching it and seeing the same things (not because of me, just generally lmao)
NO LONGER ACTIVE
LOCATE ME AT https://anilist.co/user/gr1mreap3rEXE/
Jul 24, 2020 9:43 PM

Jul 2007
Ikki Tousen. I liked it when I was a kid because it had cool fights and the plot about schools battling was neat. I wasn't yet old enough to realize it was just a fucking wank fest.
โ˜†โ˜†โ˜†
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
โ˜†โ˜†โ˜†

Jul 26, 2020 2:23 PM

Mar 2018
PerfectAzul said:

Agreed. I just rewatched it a year ago and was very much surprised how badly it aged. I remembered it as a cerebral freaky show that I loved but it feels very antiquated.

Jojo S01 is not old but feels ancient. Something that might have worked in the early 80s but now simy feels insulting.
Feb 24, 2023 4:14 PM
May 2017
deg said:

Mmmm I still feel like it’s pretty popular. Loads of Zero Two simps still around.
Feb 24, 2023 4:20 PM
May 2017
removed-user said:
I guess I'm going to second Haruhi, it's not a bad show by any means but I imagine modern viewers would be dumbfounded at how it managed to achieve such overwhelming popularity and hype.

I’m a modern viewer as I only saw it 5 years ago. I thought the movie was absolutely phenomenal and the series was pretty good too.
Feb 24, 2023 4:21 PM

Oct 2013
That's a thread I'm not going to pull, because if you start pulling that thread you realize everything from your past aged poorly in one way or another...It's just a matter of by how much, and that all increases as time goes on.
Feb 24, 2023 4:44 PM

Feb 2014
I feel like the most controversial anime are rather recent, like Mushoku Tensei.

I think anime and anime scenes encouraging traditional gender roles, specifically regarding women, will be received poorly today.
Personally though, I really enjoy seeing the way people lived and approached life back then so I don't mind.
Feb 24, 2023 4:55 PM

Sep 2020
Bastard. Any complain people have with modern isekai can be applied with Bastard as well.
Feb 24, 2023 7:00 PM

Jan 2020
The original Dragon Ball had jokes that you definitely couldn't make in 2022.
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Feb 24, 2023 9:14 PM

Jul 2016
Slam Dunk. Didn't resonate with me whatsoever plus it ended incomplete anime wise, felt like such a waste of time since it was over 100 episodes...
Feb 24, 2023 9:45 PM
Dec 2015
WatchTillTandava said:
Time passing doesn't reduce art's quality.

The art's quality doesn't change, it's our perception of it that does. There are many shows I watched and loved when I was younger that, on a rewatch, I realized were fairly low quality. With age comes perspective, after all.

I'm not sure I'd say it's a stand-out example, but I was re-watching Log Horizon with a friend recently and forced to come to the realization that it was nowhere near as good as I thought it was on my first watch. The tropes feel tired and clunky, and the plot failed to catch my interest past the initial concept of, 'but what if the game world was real?' We stopped watching shortly after, and moved on to re-watching Samurai Champloo instead. Now that show aged well.
Feb 24, 2023 10:00 PM

Jun 2022
Some of the titles above were more polarizing, so really time has been the decider, whether forgotten (like Doujin Work or Ramen Fighter Miki), well liked (like a lot of mid-2000s Kyoto Animation anime) or dislekd (like Ikki Tousen), a lot of the titles were argued over whether they were good or bad.

Personally, I would say Death Note has aged horribly. It was an anime popular with emos and has all the hallmarks of edgy emo trash that is still put on a pedestal as a holdover from the time when skinny jeans, black eyeliner and My Chemical Romance were cool. Otherwise it is full of plot holes lapses in logic when it comes to world building, an unnecessary second arc and characters who act the opposite as they are described to be. 

Love Hina is another competitor, though the manga is so much better than the anime in almost every way.

However, if we talk about score changes on MyAnimeList, then Mai-HiME, went from being the 9th highest rated anime in 2006 to having a 7.5 score, Dear Boys/Hoop Days also went down in score too (though the score is starting to go back up again).

Additionally a lot of 2000s anime come across as generic, even if they were somewhat well-known in the early-mid 2010s (for example, Stratos 4).
Feb 25, 2023 8:58 PM

Mar 2017
I have described Buttobi!! CPU as the most "so bad it's good" anime I've watched to date. One factor is the many references to computer technology, companies, and the state of the Internet at the time of its release, which was in 1997. Now of course they are quite dated but being old enough to remember that time period, I found them quite amusing.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Feb 25, 2023 9:05 PM

Feb 2021
already been mentioned in this thread, but I would tend to agree that Elfen Lied has not aged well.
Feb 25, 2023 9:39 PM

Sep 2022
nagasarete airantou aged well, it's a good anime but i think it's not known by many especially the new comers.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Favourite Anime Backgrounds/Scenery

Steve_Meave - Jul 17

19 by DarkFirefly72 »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime that would be better if it had one more episode

JoeChip - Jul 24

14 by DarkFirefly72 »»
8 minutes ago

» How was the first date with your waifu?

SgtBateMan - 5 hours ago

4 by AnimePedestrian »»
9 minutes ago

» I am so tired of 12 episode seasons

Ki11grave - Yesterday

43 by DarkFirefly72 »»
11 minutes ago

» Is Nana the best Romance anime with adult woman?

Krystopher - Yesterday

34 by nishant0 »»
12 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.