Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 15, 2023 9:46 PM
Jul 2018
Emo ended, goth went out of fashion except among trans women, punk’s dead, hipster indie went pop… yet somehow metal is still going strong. It’s not as trendy as before but there is so much metal from so many sub genres of metal that is coming out. Why is being a metalhead the only counter-culture thing still alive?
removed-userFeb 15, 2023 9:49 PM
Feb 15, 2023 11:30 PM

Feb 2015
None of the things you listed as being dead are actually dead. :p Emo and punk are very much alive, even going through a bit of a resurgence at the moment, if anything. It's funny you single out metal as the sole exception. Sure, subgenres like metalcore are thriving, but hair metal is all but dead.
Feb 15, 2023 11:59 PM

Jun 2016
Because there are so many types of metal I don't even know if the things I'm listening to right now are metal or not.
I mean they do say "metal" on wikipedia but what is metal really?
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Feb 16, 2023 12:34 AM

May 2019
Because metal is built on a solid musical foundation and doesn't carry a certain type of life style with it unlike emo, goth and punk. You can be the happiest most positive person on earth and still listen to slipknot and system of a down. I'm not a big metal music fan but i do listen to it all the time especially soad.
Feb 16, 2023 12:41 AM
Jul 2018
AnimeIsWrong said:
None of the things you listed as being dead are actually dead. :p Emo and punk are very much alive, even going through a bit of a resurgence at the moment, if anything. It's funny you single out metal as the sole exception. Sure, subgenres like metalcore are thriving, but hair metal is all but dead.
Name me a popular emo band that came out in the 20s. I’ll admit some indie bands coming out are are punk influenced but that’s it. Find me somewhere a Mohawk with leather jacket is a style trend.
Feb 16, 2023 4:24 AM

Dec 2015
Like above said, Metal which is related to Rock Music not to mention the sub-categories are not foundaments of a specific lifestyle like Emocore. + Powerfull intrumentals covered with vocal/screms with strong Drums, Bass, Electric Guitar are way more nice to listen than the stuff you've mentioned. Obviously all of them are genre of Rock Music but nonetheless there is a huge difference.
I am unable to tell the difference between majority of metal genres or anything like that ehhh it is impossible for me.

Idk how it comes to others but I actually like to switch on some Death/Heavy Metal or other stuff and have a nice walk around a neighbourhood/district and there are still some bands who begin doin that or which are completely unknown in public and do metal just because they want to do that.
I ain't that good with history of Rock, but isn't Metal actually the oldest stuff from all of the stuff you've mentioned, it seems like these are just failed attempts [at least I ain't seein it/hearin it anymore] x).
I can't even remind myself what was from the stuff you've mentioned, I won't be surprised if I have never listened to them, while with metal type, I do listen at daily manners stuff which are unknown/unpopular x)

Will give you some ex. as I often listen to it, by name of band + year they started doin music and ended if they ended:
Ironbunny - 2018-2021
Ancient Myth - 2009 - xxxx
Asura - 2014 - 2021/xxxx
SLR-Sonic Love Reckless - 2017 - 2017
Dragon Guardian - 2006-xxxx
Emille's Moonlight Serenade - 2015-2021/xxxx

inebriation said:
Find me somewhere a Mohawk with leather jacket is a style trend.

Go to any Rock Event/Festival and you'll find alot of people like that. Best example is Woodstrock now known as PolAndRock in Poland, it isn't hard to find such person x)

Agnieszka Chylińska sometimes has Mohawk and idk if her music related to Punk tbh - Checked and it seems she makes Rock/Metal music, I guess Mohawk is not only for Punk x) The other 3 bands are Punk Rock.

Emo [or at least where I was searching they were in categorise of emo music]:
Nothing Nowhere from 2015, Mom jeans 2014, Glass Beach - 2014, Origami Angel - 2017, Algernon Cadwallader 2005-2012 and from 2022 they are reborn, EKKSTACY - 2021 I guess I found something from 20s?, Edo Saiya - 2018, Have Mercy 2009-2020 and 2022 are alive again, Asian Glow - 2022 [Can't find anything of them to be earlier], carpetgarden - 2018, Forrest. - 2018, Jack Kays - 2021, LHLS - 2017, Thunderstoms [do not mistake with Thunderstom] - I guess they are from 2020 but they spam so much playlists/albums in SPotify/Youtube that after few minutes of scrolling I was barely able to reach 2021 tracks, Fredo Disco 2017, Arm's Length 2019.

"Popular Emo Band" when the music is not even popular. That's all I could find, I won't sacrifice more time into searching you can do that on your own.

ZettaikenFeb 16, 2023 5:24 AM
Feb 16, 2023 4:40 AM

Feb 2021
I think metal just became way too big during it's time to die so easily, kinda like how hip hop and rap are still going strong nowadays, they just evolve with time. 

Metal certainly was much bigger than punk, so I'm not surprised punk died and metal is still alive. 
Feb 16, 2023 5:57 AM

Feb 2015
inebriation said:
AnimeIsWrong said:
Name me a popular emo band that came out in the 20s. I’ll admit some indie bands coming out are are punk influenced but that’s it. Find me somewhere a Mohawk with leather jacket is a style trend.
I don't think I will be able to give you a satisfactory answer. For one, genres of music are not fashion trends. Emo is more than being sad and punk is more than a mohawk leather jacket style pumping your first shouting about hating the establishment. Furthermore, punk and emo are in a sense synonymous: emo is a sub-genre OF punk. Please tell me you knew that. Finally, just because there aren't any brand new "popular" bands in the genre doesn't mean it's dead. If that's your criteria, then metal's just as dead (something that metal snobs say all the time).

Genres never truly die, so I disagree with the premise of your thread. Even ones that basically are dead, say hair metal or grunge, just evolved or were subsumed into something else. You know, like Pantera's origin story! Or maybe we all died along with the great genres too, which is why stuff like Alice in Chains and Soundgarden are things of the past, but Nickelback endures in our present hellscape. shutters
Feb 16, 2023 6:48 AM

Oct 2018
Oh yeah? Name some metal bands that are new and significant today? Pretty much no real metal bands. Bunch of posers or retards who know nothing about playing an actual instrument, music history or to make a good song. Most are old bands who became shit or soft and their new music is irrelevant. 

Feb 17, 2023 8:14 AM

Aug 2009
*mainly listens to technical death metal and progressive metal*

...I think I know what you're saying, but I'm not sure.

Feb 17, 2023 11:23 AM

Jun 2015
Emo, goth, punk, etc. aren't dead, they're just in the underground like everything else. So is metal. The culture surrounding the modern metal scene has been incredibly influenced by guitarist YouTubers, soundcloud/bandcamp indie, and a lot of the non-metal, yet equally technical newer bands (like Polyphia) share an aesthetic and sound that a lot of modern metalheads and core fans can get behind. You're not really going to see a band with a thrash/old school death metal style sound making waves, but rather stuff that shares a certain DNA and aesthetic; such as blackgaze, proggy math rock and mathcore, scenecore-esque stuff, soft fluffy indie stuff, and covers of certain one-hit wonder songs like Through the Fire and Flames. That's what's popular in the west right now. It's just a generalization of course, but that's how I see it.

Not to mention, you bring up emo, goth etc. but those scenes are still thriving. A lot of these things are going through a resurgence, and some just have other elements added to them, like shoegaze etc.
Feb 18, 2023 7:40 AM

Oct 2022
Mila91 said:
Oh yeah? Name some metal bands that are new and significant today? Pretty much no real metal bands. Bunch of posers or retards who know nothing about playing an actual instrument, music history or to make a good song. Most are old bands who became shit or soft and their new music is irrelevant. 
All the cool new metal bands I've been listening to were fake the whole time? Damn... that's crazy! For a bunch of bands who aren't real, their music sure is nifty. 
Feb 18, 2023 4:44 PM

Aug 2020
There are strong bands still around, such as Metallica and Megadeth. The other reasons were already mentioned above.

Feb 18, 2023 6:20 PM

Jul 2012
i think metal is slowly coming back to mainstream. BMTH is in my opinion the biggest gateopener for new generations at the moment, with headlining huge festivals or making featurings with artist like ed shearan. Electric Callboy former Eskimo Callboy from my home country germany put metal back into the news, with the eurovision bullshit from last year. EC has grown since they got the new singer. They even played on a german EDM festival Parookaville as the first metal band in the history of this festival. 

Feb 18, 2023 6:29 PM

Apr 2020
As someone whose brothers are in a Punk Rock band, I can tell you that genre is very much not dead.
There are still several small tours going around (my brothers managed to be invited to play in Mexico, Brazil and Europe), but I'm pretty sure you have to be in those circles or related to someone in them to be aware.
I never liked the Emo subgenre, so I never bothered following it's evolution, so I can't tell about it.

Anyway, I think Heavy Metal itself at one point just got so big and so diverse as to be impossible to kill it off completely now. There are some old big name bands still playing and serving as inspiration for younger bands. Metal festivals are still being organized to this day, some of them accepting all kinds of metal to participate, like the Tuska Open Air Festilval, some of them even being subgenre specific like the Hammer of Doom Festival or the ProgPower USA.
Also, a lot of action video game music is very metal sounding, and sometimes it's just straight up metal. This is also a very good way to keep it alive and to serve as a starting point to the genre for the younger generations.
Mar 5, 2023 11:07 AM

Dec 2019
"Emo ended" is straight up wrong bc we are currently in the 5th wave of emo aka post-emo and its sick 
Mar 5, 2023 11:28 AM
Jul 2018
dreihk said:
"Emo ended" is straight up wrong bc we are currently in the 5th wave of emo aka post-emo and its sick 
Can you link me “post-emo” fashion/music? I was emo in high school and, naturally, grew into a hipster. Now I’m just LGBTQ+ lol.
Mar 5, 2023 12:13 PM

Dec 2019
inebriation said:
dreihk said:
Can you link me “post-emo” fashion/music? I was emo in high school and, naturally, grew into a hipster. Now I’m just LGBTQ+ lol.
now that i think about it post emo doesnt really have much a of fashion scene since its mostly an online thing. some of my personal favorite releases are: 

To See the Next Part of the Dream - Parannoul
Downfall of the Neon Youth - Parannoul, Asian Glow and Sonhos Tomam Conta
Weatherglow - Asian Glow and Weatherday
Come In - Weatherday 
Paraglow - Parannoul and Asian Glow 
Hypnagogia - Sonhos Tomam Conta 
모호함 속의 너 Nebulous You - Della Zyr

Mar 5, 2023 5:58 PM
Jul 2018
dreihk said:
inebriation said:
now that i think about it post emo doesnt really have much a of fashion scene since its mostly an online thing. some of my personal favorite releases are: 

To See the Next Part of the Dream - Parannoul
Downfall of the Neon Youth - Parannoul, Asian Glow and Sonhos Tomam Conta
Weatherglow - Asian Glow and Weatherday
Come In - Weatherday 
Paraglow - Parannoul and Asian Glow 
Hypnagogia - Sonhos Tomam Conta 
모호함 속의 너 Nebulous You - Della Zyr

“Real emo” (Sunny Day Real Estate, etc.) never had a fashion, I was referring to the 2000s trend scene kid emo in my posts.
Mar 5, 2023 11:09 PM

Apr 2022
Well subculture music is subculture music because its cultivate a anti meanstream mentality so they are not dead...just alive and thriving in their on little niche and why is such...well because most fans of this genres want it that way and do not want to go mainstream. Actually metal is the same and lot of people into metal thinks most pop metal bands sucks for the sake of being popular. Personnaly i dont give a shit if good music as one or one million viewers as long as i like it but knowing most people into that kind of music subgenres do care about it in a anti mainstream music way i'm quite doubtful metal popification actually sounds like succes to most metalheads...as least all my fellow metal heads i've heard talk about that thinks the popish metalhead scene with few exceptions overall suck and real metal is indie band/lesser known ones...i hardly thinks judging this genre liveliness on wether they are popular or not with mainstream people is a pertinent criteria as most of their lovers live to be underground and subversive and would consider such disinterest by averrage people on their fave music a success rather than a failure. And as some said before in the underground all of this substyle are thriving right now many have a revival and most people who like them the most myself as a long time metalhead girl very into black and death metal who do also love some stuff from the most discrete goth scene included are quite relieved that the most "just here because of hype" types of people listening to it moved elsewhere and let true fans enjoy it between themself. I'm not full purist edgelord thinking anything not made in shitty production in parent basement is poser shit but i think a good average between that and over mainstreamization is needed to keep this genres true to what they are substantially as music that supposedly try to be rebellious and anticonformist as one of their purpose is provoking the masses and creating a counter culture so fashionable is what they actually try not be as that would need quite a few sanitzation they arent interested in and i thinks its for the best.

Tifa Lockhart (FFVII) - Forum Signature by craftyaegis on DeviantArt

Mar 6, 2023 4:33 AM

Sep 2009
I'm glad metal has survived even though it's an underground scene right now. However my preference is more lo-fi sound than overproduced cleaner sound that most of modern bands have. So I'll stick to the old school classics.

Mar 6, 2023 1:14 PM

Jul 2014
I think it mostly has to do with the sheer amount of variety the genre has to offer. It encompasses everything from Judas Priest to Deftones.
Take care of yourself

Mar 6, 2023 11:27 PM

Jun 2022
metal diversified, its a very diverse genre, and divsrsifications off punk arent always grouped together. i mean hell theres a lot of overlap historicall, u get grindcore
Mar 7, 2023 12:21 AM

Feb 2019
Because it doesn't make you want to bludgeon your own ears like modern pop """"" music """".
Mar 7, 2023 4:55 AM
Jul 2018
DaddyClapCheeks said:
Because it doesn't make you want to bludgeon your own ears like modern pop """"" music """".
That’s because blasting metal does it for you.
Mar 7, 2023 9:44 AM

Jan 2015
Perhaps you're just hyper-focused on metal, all those genres seem just as alive as metal, from my perspective, infact, I might even consider metal more dead. Metal is arguably one of the more popular genres, out of those listed, so maybe that's just the reason for it staying, lots of people like it. I don't really know many people who hate metal, most people don't mind it and even enjoy it.
その目だれの目?
Mar 7, 2023 6:04 PM

Mar 2008
Every genre ever made is still being made to some extent. I dont think popularity matters, just how active the musicians and fans are. Metal just happens to follow a general trend in music making everything louder and louder because it got more attention on the radio though that’s less relevant now. There is a lot of subgenres which is what keeps it around technically someof them you couldnt even consider metal but separate genres if you wanted since classification is arbitrary anyway.
Mar 9, 2023 11:55 AM

Dec 2015
I'm not particularly a fan of metal but whenever I hear a heavy drop D guitar riff it makes me instinctively headbang.
So I guess in some way metal is a natural type of music that humans like.

Mar 9, 2023 11:58 AM

Oct 2022
Everything you just stated was a matter of opinion which i totally disagree lol
opin·ion
[əˈpɪnjən]

NOUN

1. a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge:"that, in my opinion, is right" ·

Mar 9, 2023 12:00 PM

Oct 2022
Bobby2Hands said:
I'm not particularly a fan of metal but whenever I hear a heavy drop D guitar riff it makes me instinctively headbang.
So I guess in some way metal is a natural type of music that humans like.
Very fitting character for what you just said XD 
opin·ion
[əˈpɪnjən]

NOUN

1. a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge:"that, in my opinion, is right" ·

Mar 9, 2023 12:24 PM

Feb 2020
inebriation said:
Emo ended, goth went out of fashion except among trans women, punk’s dead, hipster indie went pop… yet somehow metal is still going strong. It’s not as trendy as before but there is so much metal from so many sub genres of metal that is coming out. Why is being a metalhead the only counter-culture thing still alive?
Excuse the ramble here, i've been in alternative circles for a few years now so I have some things to say about this. I won't really be speaking on punk as I don't have much experience with it, but as far as I know it is alive, just very underground. Also I know absolutely nothing about hipster indie so I'm leaving that out. Of course; here's my obligatory "I'm biased" because most people I surround myself with are alternative in some way, shape, or form, even if it's just music taste.  You don't have to read all of this below!

Mar 9, 2023 2:34 PM

Jul 2021
Because metal is art. Well, the good ones, not all of metal is good.
Mar 12, 2023 6:00 AM

Jun 2014
These things still exist, it's not that they're dead. It's just that they're in a more underground form now. Metal is a very broad genre with a huge array of subgenres and microgenres within it, so in terms of scope it reaches a vastly larger amount of people than something like punk or gothic rock. 
Mar 14, 2023 1:18 PM

Dec 2022
Music styles/labels all have the same story.  People trying to make something new and/or different (obviously always influenced from prior generations).
People label the genre because of conversations like this thread, corporations use those labels for marketting.  Styles don't die.

If kraft dinner disbands tomorrow it doesn't mean mac n cheese is dead.  It just means mac n cheese won't be in peoples conversations as much anymore because it's not kraft dinner, it's just mac n cheese.

The news would cover a story about someone choking on kraft dinner if they died.  Not mac n cheese.
Mar 29, 2023 5:35 AM

Jul 2013
I laugh at old people that strongly assumed heavy metal music died in the early 90s. At around the same time, I laugh at applesauce eating, old normies that assumed all heavy metal bands they watched tumbling and falling in the 90s were hair metal or so-called Metallica clones.

Grunge didn't kill heavy metal which was actually hibernating the whole time. :)

Everyone knows that new heavy metal acts are still being formed without expecting Michael Jackson-style popularity, mainstream success, etc like Metallica or Disturbed.
Apr 2, 2023 4:51 PM
Dec 2017
Its because newer metal kids get into all sorts of bands as time goes by and the list goes on and on.

Apr 16, 2023 1:20 AM
Nomad

May 2014
Mila91 said:
I assume you mean in terms of popularity? Because there are tons of bands coming up in the metal scene in recent years, Cane Hill is a big example, they managed to survive through COVID despite going independent which that alone is a big success.
Bit ridiculous to generalize every metal artist out there though and say "they're all posers or r*tards who don't know anything about playing an actual instrument" 
Metal is just a genre of music, it's not mainstream anymore but still requires talent, same as classical or any other non-mainstream genre of music. 
art by @u_zuta on twitter

Apr 16, 2023 3:41 AM

Sep 2009
Actually there are tons of decent underground metal bands that waiting to be discovered however huge part of them won't go above decent for me because what does never click with me is their overproduced, clear sound and uninspired riffs. So I lost interest in discovering new bands. Imo 80s and 90s were the golden age of metal. It went downhill after 1999.

Apr 18, 2023 11:14 AM
Apr 2023
Didn’t Jack Black tell ya? Nothing can kill The Metal.

More topics from this board

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7838 by RenaPsychoKiller »»
36 minutes ago

» Post songs that you are addicted to right now ( 1 2 )

tsukareru - Apr 26

92 by scarydragon »»
8 hours ago

» What was the last TV show episode (non anime) have you watched? ( 1 2 )

Vargnatt - Mar 23

52 by PsychoticDave »»
9 hours ago

» J-Music recommendations.

pludel2 - Jun 8

4 by bellingsince05 »»
Today, 12:06 AM

Poll: » share your latest song/album purchases

DreamingBeats - Nov 3, 2023

45 by BookBirdie »»
Yesterday, 5:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.