Forum Settings
Forums

So, why is everything so highly rated here ?

New
Jan 22, 2023 2:23 PM

Dec 2014
I dont think i ever seen an anime with lower than 5 score (maybe like 1-2 idk ive seen having 3)

Anyway, why do yall refuse to use the 1-10 scale and instead rate on 5-10 scale, its at the point when you see a 6 average score you know its gonna be a 3-6/10 at max

Are anime fans just to generous or something ? 

MAL might as well at this point force a 1-5 rating system and even then i believe lowest rated stuff will be 3 at max ...

I know it really doesn't matter, in the end u watch what u fell like, but it would be nice to have a more accurate representaion of a shows public opinion so you know at least what type of quality your getting into without having to think "Hmm this is rated 6.3, probably a 4/10 show at max"

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 22, 2023 2:30 PM

Aug 2018
dunno. Maybe most people are like me and they drop bad anime without rating it. Which leaves only the people who like it or think it's okay to decide the final score.
Jan 22, 2023 2:32 PM

Oct 2011
If you actually look at the anime with a 1-3/10 average compared to the ones you think deserve that score, you'll truly see there's a huge difference in how bad those are.
Jan 22, 2023 2:33 PM

Apr 2012
I know a lot of people with an average rating below 6. But based on my experience, maybe people just don't watch something that is capable of causing them such a strong dislike in the first place.
Jan 22, 2023 2:39 PM

Dec 2019
How I look at it is that people generally watch what they like and can usually tell if they are going to like something. So, people's scores generally lean positive.
There are plenty of sub 5 anime out there. For example, this stack: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/3480
Jan 22, 2023 2:54 PM
Dec 2021
My average is at 8.20 because:

-I ask for recommendations before watchIng something 
-I have never watched anything rated under 7
-I don't rate anime that i dropped because it's unfair.
-Unlike you, i don't watch genres that I dislike. 

Check out this example from your list. you rated:
tsuki ga kirei a 6
plastic memories a 3
shigatsu wa kimi no uso a 6
white album 2 a 5
Tonari no katbutsu kun a 5

That's on average more than 3 whole points less than myanimelist scores
you obviously don't like romance so be smart and stop wasting your time watching that genre.
AnimeIs4KidzJan 22, 2023 3:17 PM
Jan 22, 2023 2:55 PM

Apr 2018
when a series is a 5 or below, the exact number doesn't matter. if we were forced to watch every anime and value it, that would maybe make it worth. but since i wouldn't watch anything with a 5 or below, what would be the point in giving the bad series different values?
Jan 22, 2023 3:01 PM

May 2020
most people only use the top half of the scale, and to be fair, most people won't sit through a 1-4 show show so they never show up on their lists. Definitely people overrate things systematically for sure but then again numerical scores are kind of pointless anyway so I don't really care all that much.
Jan 22, 2023 3:07 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Yea in a lot of peoples eyes a 6/10 is a bad score, goes for anything, not just anime.
Jan 22, 2023 3:10 PM

Oct 2022
i have no idea what you're talking about, there are so many anime with an average score below 5. 

my lowest rating is a literal 1 too, but okay

Jan 22, 2023 3:14 PM

Aug 2018
Roevhaal said:
Yea in a lot of peoples eyes a 6/10 is a bad score, goes for anything, not just anime.
that's why 5-star rating systems are better. For some reason, a 3/5 seems like a good score while 6/10 seems like a bad one.
Jan 22, 2023 3:16 PM

Dec 2019
For most people on here I'm assuming that anything they rate from a 1-5 is "trash", a 6 is "bad" a 7-8 is "average", 9 is "good" and 10 is "really good" to "masterpiece."
Jan 22, 2023 3:24 PM

Aug 2022
I haven't watched that many anime, so it would make sense that the ones I have decided to watch have not been too bad up until now. Otherwise, what would be the point in watching anime?

Also, if I generally don't like Isekai anime, I am less likely to give a new Isekai anime a try. Therefore, only people who are generally interested in a series/genre/theme will be the ones watching it, and as a result the score will overall be higher. Scores on this site are not representative of what the average anime watcher watches anyways.

epidemia78 said:
dunno. Maybe most people are like me and they drop bad anime without rating it. Which leaves only the people who like it or think it's okay to decide the final score.

It's also this. If I watch 1 episode of an anime that I think is bad, I quit watching it. I am not going to bother giving it a 1, since I think that's quite unfair after having watched only 1 episode.

Jan 22, 2023 3:25 PM

Jan 2013
Well, the lower half of the scale is only useful if you choose to watch bad shows, and I'm just talking about personal enjoyment, so it should be easy to avoid them.  The real issue is that there's no weighted scoring, it's just an average score, where everyone's vote counts the same, but someone who watches only the anime classics and someone who watches nothing but trash, probably shouldn't have an equal say. 
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Jan 22, 2023 3:27 PM

Mar 2015
I prefer to rate in accord to mal's own keywords: if the show is good I rate it as 'good' (7), if the show is bad I rate it as 'bad' (4) etc. quite simple really
Am I a good person? No. But do I try to be better every single day? Also no
Jan 22, 2023 3:38 PM

Jan 2010
I personally drop anime that I don't like (and I do mean "I don't like" because some anime I drop are actually good but they're just not for me).  the lowest score I gave an anime that I have completed was 5. I only watch shows that I'm interested in so eventually my average score ends up being around 7. 

Jan 22, 2023 3:41 PM

Dec 2022
People here are expected to like anime, so they'll naturally rate the anime they watch pretty highly. There's no point watching media if you prejudge it and decide to dislike it in advance, because that will obviously end up negatively impacting your perception of it.

There's also a tendency to scope out premises or qualities about an anime that users here are interested in advance. I don't think most watch completely random anime with no sort of selection process. A 5/10 rating is completely neutral; it only looks "bad" because there's a justifiable trend to look for media you think you'll like, rather than media you think is just passable.

Shaded Horizon

Jan 22, 2023 3:43 PM
Jul 2018
Everyone rates differently anyways. Some rate against their own personal opinions and others rate based on enjoyment. So, community ratings aren't going to have the conformity you want. Plus, emphasis on "community ratings." Whatever the general consensus is about the MAL community's opinion towards an anime doesn't necessarily mean that you're going to have the same experience. Although, that's speaking more for people who complain about highly rated anime that deceive their expectations. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't hesitant or reluctant to watch low rated anime. I just don't want to waste my time getting into something that's likely to be unenjoyable.
Jan 22, 2023 3:45 PM

Oct 2019
i'm not sure why that is.

i for one use every score.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jan 22, 2023 3:46 PM

Nov 2022
From reading synopsis and looking at art you can get the broad idea what show is about. If it is sounds like not for me the I just do not watch it.

Only sometimes synopsis or people's recommendations are so misleading that it makes me watch show I end up hating and rate low.

I do rate shows I drop, but not yet shows that I only read synopsis, saw art or heard on internet about.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Jan 22, 2023 3:58 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Because highly rated anime tend to be popular and vice versa, and no one really wants to talk about low-rated anime that's why you rarely see it.

Also many people here also use score 1-5, usually for dropped anime that is.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Jan 22, 2023 4:13 PM
Jan 2018
it's highly because most dropped anime we forget to give the rate, me for example i have 8 full watched anime below 5 score, but what i really don't like and i drop i forgot to rate, my average score is 7.50
Jan 22, 2023 4:17 PM

Apr 2020
Why is this a problem to anyone?

"God, these Anime fans do like their Anime a bit too much, I feel. They generous or something?"

xD So weird, reading through Threads like this one.
Jan 22, 2023 4:20 PM

Sep 2010
Most people choose anime that sound like they would like them so of course their average score is above 5.
Jan 22, 2023 4:27 PM

Feb 2014
You can use AniDB, the scores there seem to be closer to what you are looking for.
Jan 22, 2023 4:28 PM

Feb 2014
After 40+ years of watching anime I have a knack for avoiding shows I will not like. 
MAFTY - No Exceptions To The Rules
Jan 22, 2023 4:29 PM
Apr 2021
My rating

1 - dropped

2 - watched a few episode dropped

3 - didnt care for the anime

4 - finished didnt like it or liked plot

5 - average. didnt like didnt hate

6 - liked more but will forget about it down the years

7 - okay. remember plot and stuff might rewatch

8 - liked the anime. probably rewatch every season if no good anime shows up.

9 - love the anime. definitely rewatched multiple times

10 - nothing is perfect so no anime should ever score a 10 
Jan 22, 2023 4:37 PM

Jun 2022
HAJOKESONU said:
My rating

1 - dropped

2 - watched a few episode dropped

3 - didnt care for the anime

4 - finished didnt like it or liked plot

5 - average. didnt like didnt hate

6 - liked more but will forget about it down the years

7 - okay. remember plot and stuff might rewatch

8 - liked the anime. probably rewatch every season if no good anime shows up.

9 - love the anime. definitely rewatched multiple times

10 - nothing is perfect so no anime should ever score a 10 
Similar to quoted for me, but I try to watch every series. Pokemon is the only one that broke me.
Jan 22, 2023 4:39 PM
Jul 2022
I'll bet it's partly because others are similar to me; they mostly only watch things with good reviews/recommendations or what they think they will like.
Jan 22, 2023 4:41 PM

Nov 2018
Many users gravitate towards higher rated shows because they know it's worth more of their time, compared to a much lower rated show.

I guess not many people have gotten to the point of actively seeking out the lower rated shows yet. I think there's easily 1/3 of the entire anime DB that hasn't gotten a score yet.

Also people barely watch all the side entries to a main entry of a series.
So I've been banned from MAL-Badges, after spending nearly two years of my time and dedication to helping out, being the club's spokesperson, and planning for the revamp, it all goes down the fucking drain. What a joke the club has become. I advise everyone to stop using the feature and stop showing their support for the site and the club. We were promised that we will see changes come to the site, and nothing's been done for the past year. I doubt the site will be touched for the foreseeable future. If you're angry and annoyed about the lack of development, then good, you should be.
Jan 22, 2023 4:50 PM

Jul 2021
perfectionFound said:
-I don't rate anime that i dropped because it's unfair.

No it's not. If the anime didn't want to be dropped and rated low it should have done a better job at being entertaining.
Jan 22, 2023 5:14 PM

Jan 2014
10 = masterpiece

9 = great

8 = good

7 = average

6 = bad! 

lowest score 6 except for mangas got 4 that was really trash that i regret watching xD
Jan 22, 2023 5:17 PM
May 2017
I realized a lot of people (not just MAL users) seem to think 7 is an average rating. I remember my friend asked me what I would rate a particular video game and I said 6/10. He was like "DAMN was it that bad?" like what??? 6 is above average but generally people think it's negative.

Aside from that, a lot of people have this "all anime is good" mentality, so this probably a reason as well.
Jan 22, 2023 5:35 PM

Jun 2022
It already been answered above, but obviously people are more likely to check out shows they think are good, thus a lot of anime, even one that are relatively bad, have high scores because most people who watch it are fans of that genre. Watching anime or any hobby for that matter is an investment of time, and most people don't have a lot of free time so they have to be particular in how they choose to use it.

For me personally a "5" is average, so if someone was being perfectly objective in both their scoring and completely random in their choosing of which anime to watch, their mean score should be around a 5. However that is almost never the case.

In my opinion even a "4" isn't that awful, it's a bellow average show that has enjoyable moments but the bad parts outweigh the good. But that's just my take on it. 

If you're looking for anime with an average score of bellow a 5 look no further than here:
Bottom 40 TV/ONA Series on MAL - Interest Stacks - MyAnimeList.net
Lowest Rated (Actual Anime) - Interest Stacks - MyAnimeList.net

Jan 22, 2023 5:39 PM

Jun 2022
Quanda1eDing1e said:
I realized a lot of people (not just MAL users) seem to think 7 is an average rating. I remember my friend asked me what I would rate a particular video game and I said 6/10. He was like "DAMN was it that bad?" like what??? 6 is above average but generally people think it's negative.

Aside from that, a lot of people have this "all anime is good" mentality, so this probably a reason as well.
That's accurate, in fact when you look at the statistics, "7" is by far the most common score given in both anime and manga. (see here: Global statistics - anime.plus). 

Giving it some thought I think it's a consequence of the school grading system a lot of people expireience, a 80% or B grade is considered good but not extraordinary, a 70% or C grade is considered average, anything bellow a 60% or D is considered failing. Maybe that's why so many people consider a 6 or a 5 to be a bad score even though according to the MAL guidelines that's actually supposed to be the average. 
Jan 22, 2023 5:53 PM

Sep 2021
My experience with giving scores was that by watching more anime, I could compare more and realized how bad some shows actually were. I bet there are a bunch of accounts with very few shows that all have a high rating. For example, my mean score went down from 7.5 to 6.6 since I started watching way more anime (which was Spring 2022, 8 months after creating my MAL account). A bunch of the shows I have at 2 or 3 now used to be 4-6 because I didn't know just how bad they actually are (in my opinion). I just didn't judge them so harshly because I didn't know the "standart".

But that's only 1 factor. All the second seasons and shows with high episode count (as far as I know, the score is only applied if the user watched 1/5 of a show) are inflated. 
Jan 22, 2023 5:56 PM

Jul 2022
chronofantasy said:
If you actually look at the anime with a 1-3/10 average compared to the ones you think deserve that score, you'll truly see there's a huge difference in how bad those are.

I think that's a good idea. Challenge accepted! I picked one of the lowest-rated shows of all time, more-or-less at random, whichever artwork caught my eye (some flavour of generic fantasy), from this list:

fluffycow17 said:
There are plenty of sub 5 anime out there. For example, this stack: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/3480

I got Spectral Force (average score 3.60). I watched it from start to finish (it's only two episodes).

My verdict: surprisingly entertaining. The first third or so of episode one was so disjointed that I didn't know what was happening, and all the CGI in that episode was downright terrible, but it turns out the show had a fun story to tell, and it didn't waste time telling it. Really, everything after the midpoint of episode one was a decent fantasy show with mediocre-to-terrible production value.

The mercenaries were fun: I like it when characters have hidden depths of competence and courage. The demon princess had some touching moments. The main antagonist wasn't particularly well developed, though. The twist at the end of episode one was kind of neat, though they didn't really do much with it — don't worry, I won't spoil it for anyone looking to, uh, get into Spectral Force.

In short, I enjoyed Spectral Force more than I was enjoying My Hero Academia when I dropped that show and gave it a four. Surprisingly, I did not see a huge difference in the quality of storytelling, though the difference in production value was enormous.
Jan 22, 2023 6:09 PM

Oct 2011
Once I got down the avant-garde shorts rabbit hole, I was giving away lots of 1-4 scores. Lots of shitty stuff in them
Jan 22, 2023 7:13 PM

Dec 2021
Give the OP a gift
Finally, someone is questioning the idiosyncrasy of normies
If you want to reply to my posts, come up with valid arguments instead of ad hominem HIGHER LEVEL THINKERS ONLY
Jan 22, 2023 7:36 PM

Dec 2014
@perfectionfound

wdym bro, 6 is considered good in my book and is 100% worth a watch that i didn regret, hence why its above 5 ?. Sure its not my favorite genre, but its definitely not a waste of time, you can find good stuff in genres you generally dont enjoy aswell. 

And even the show you mentioned that i rated a 5 is still considered decent in my book and not a waste of time watching

Jan 22, 2023 7:55 PM
Sep 2008
People don't like to use the 1-10 metric and think that everything is a 7, for me I follow the words that are with the numbers so if I think an anime is bad I give it a "4 (bad)"
Jan 22, 2023 8:05 PM
Jan 2022
epidemia78 said:
Roevhaal said:
that's why 5-star rating systems are better. For some reason, a 3/5 seems like a good score while 6/10 seems like a bad one.

No.
The 10/10 system is terrible for me. Not even mentioning 5/5.
Generally 1-100/100 systems - best, 1-19/10 (aka 1, 1.5, 2.0 .... 9.5, 10) - good, 1-10/10 - ok, let it be, lesser evil. 1-5/5 - bad , 3/2 (like, dislike, neutral ) - terrible.
Systems mustn't be affect by people's dumbness.
Yes, many think 6/10 is very bad rating, yes, many put tons of 10s.
Yes, many people are not able to gather their thoughts and express them in several thousand of characters and judge not as objectively as possible, but only by feelings (although they can also be emphasized).
People will ruin any system.
But for the percent of those who are absolutely obsessed with anime (like me) should be possible to make absolutely precise and clear list.
GOL_D_ENJan 22, 2023 8:08 PM
Jan 22, 2023 8:14 PM
Mar 2017
Can't say for everyone else but I put a 1-8 I don't count 9 & 10 as nothing is perfect. I questioned some with 9 & 10 but only those I really care about otherwise even my most favourite are usually 8 and for if I really hated it 1-3.

I don't finish much past 6-10 episodes sometimes these days so many I could but eh can't be bothered if I'm out of the mood with an anime.

I'm not against putting anime I didn't like based on certain aspects at a 1-8 or Hentai I didn't care for at a 1-3 out of a 1-8 scale.

I usually review niche shows/manga with not any or at least 1-2 reviews so I look for different things than the common ones people will have a review score for. I like looking at niche stuff and being fair towards them no matter how generic if I think they deserve still a 5-8 I'll give it so because it still has some appeal and I'll justify that in my reviews. (Some executions but usually I go for the niche stuff when I do put out a review to fill in a gap on the platform).

If people want to hype up or ignore some by all means but I usually give a score to everything I do finish or want to drop even if it's 1-6 than only providing in the 7+ club. But I do think many of the big ones are overinflated for the sake of it and I just look from a distance without a care at all. I don't watch them nor do I care about the scores I'm doing the niche/underappreciated work.

I do the same with B grade games I'm fair with them regardless of their budget it's clear they tried in some way regardless of their limitations their ideas and execution was still pretty good even if not AAA/S/SS/SSS tier with people of the 7+ score mindset they can do whatever they want I'm not going by that logic.
Suntanned_Duck2Jan 22, 2023 8:18 PM
Jan 22, 2023 8:27 PM

Dec 2018
Because MAL users are a bunch of idiots with no standards that just lap up any garbage that is put in front of them with no regard for quality.
Natsu_dripneelJan 22, 2023 8:31 PM
Jan 22, 2023 9:51 PM
puer aeternus

Sep 2021
Over 90% of Myanimelist users are normies who only have like under 50 Anime on their list and they'd just unthinkingly give every one of them either 9 or 10. Just look at this stat, I don't understand what's wrong with 42k people: 
https://myanimelist.net/anime/39617/Yakusoku_no_Neverland_2nd_Season/stats
Jan 22, 2023 9:59 PM
Jun 2020
I agree with what most people are saying. If an anime sucks I drop after like 3 episodes and don't rate it because at best I watched 25% of the show. IF I invest and watch a whole anime I most likely liked it.
Jan 22, 2023 10:11 PM

May 2021
I believe it's due to how most users rate things. I'm not sure if I'm right, but I think that rating using the MAL system makes a significant difference between the options, and that's why people prefer the "5 to 10" scale more.

And yes, I support the idea of a more simplified rating system, like "1 to 5 stars".

Jan 22, 2023 10:18 PM

May 2020
You know,
Its kinda harsh to rate most shows low when you mostly pirate all the time!!!
" Kindness can sometimes lead you to trouble. "

Jan 22, 2023 10:29 PM
Apr 2022
10 is S 9 is A+ 8 is A 7 is A- 6 is B thats why.
Jan 23, 2023 12:10 AM

Dec 2013
People are lazy. Personally I greatly dislike the fact that 7/10 is the new average. But being to critical and objective, gets you nothing but self-satisfaction. You'll be called an elitist or asked why you still watch anime if you rate it low and apparently hate it.

Sadly even so called anime fans don't care enough about anime, to seriously consider using the rating scale MAL has provided. In stead I think they'd prefer using emojis, to rate they're anime.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Who has the best drip in all of manga/anime?

spaceslut - May 8, 2023

16 by LesyaSchiffer »»
42 seconds ago

» Do you have animes you've rated 5 and under on your completed list, why? ( 1 2 )

melodyily - Jun 15

90 by Saiunknown »»
12 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1044 by SilveryMoonlight »»
28 minutes ago

» Anime characters you like ONLY for their fanservice? (be honest)

asureiwong - Yesterday

30 by Damuzen »»
38 minutes ago

» Summer 2024 Season

OldLoser - 6 hours ago

22 by Brunilde »»
38 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.