Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 13, 2022 12:18 PM

Jan 2018
Awesome start. I'm already invested in the characters and the story too. I hope Akane-banashi does well and sticks around. Really looking forward to more.
Feb 13, 2022 12:24 PM

Oct 2019
Yes, the first chapter was very sweet, and I like the premise of the story. This is a good change of pace since the current shonen series are dropping bombshells of action and depression.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 13, 2022 1:05 PM

Apr 2021
The ending of the chapter had me completely hooked; let's see where this goes.
Feb 13, 2022 3:37 PM

Aug 2012
I was excited when I saw the cover of this pop up because my mind went straight to Rakugo, and what do you know, it was a Rakugo series. I have no expectation that it could even begin to match Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu managed to accomplished, but that series did develop in me a fondness for Rakug so I'm glad to see it tackled again.

And I don't think they did a bad job of displaying the art-form, I rather liked how the character's Shinta was imbueing was painted with those traditional Japanese painting thick outlines.

If there's one problem with the first chapter, is it really only endeared me to Tohru, the fact that Akane is going to be the main characters feels like such a downgrade now. I did like her introduction, with her reciting what happened with the bully in Rakugo-form, that was a clever way to establish her love & gift for Rakugo, and her personality too. But otherwise, the chapter's focus was on Tohru's, we got a lot of good insight into his situation, motivations, and thought process that I kinda wish we were just following him.

But really, if they can accomplish that for Tohru, there's no reason to expect they can't for Akane. To be honest, I'm an idiot and at first thought her father legit died that day until I realized she was just being dramatic with his Rakugo name, so my opinions were a lot more negative at first.

Not sure I care this being a revenge story of sorts because an old fart had an old fart tantrum over Shibahama but I suppose this does need shonen hook to it.

As a side note, Shibahama is easily my favourite Rakugo story, thanks in large part to Rakugo Shinjuu but even removing the context of that show, it's just a really well-written story. Granted, I've only seen the performance in Rakugo Shinjuu (and I guess this, but they barely tell anything, whereas Rakugo Shinjuu adapted the full tale) but I couldn't believe that one guy thought the best scene was describing the beach lol. Different strokes I suppose, I couldn't imagine anything I care less about in that story than the scenery of the beach.
Feb 13, 2022 5:41 PM

Jul 2017
That was the best first chapter for a Jump manga that I've read in a while, although it made me feel more for Shinta and his journey than Akane. I still like Akane trying to stand up for her dad though and am interested to see where her journey goes. It was endearing and the ending left me curious as to why with the expulsion and where the story goes from here. I really enjoyed this and felt refreshing reading a Jump manga focusing on rakugo out of all things. I can only hope the direction for the story is interesting and not just a revenge storyline that feels contrived and stale. But for first impressions, this did its job well.
Feb 13, 2022 6:16 PM

Jan 2011
Was excited when I saw a rakugo manga announced and this first chapter didn't disappoint. I am a little worried if it can last in Jump though.
Feb 13, 2022 6:26 PM

Feb 2016
I didn't like it at all.
Hope you guys like it.

Anywhere in the Galaxy
Feb 13, 2022 6:35 PM

Feb 2012
Really refreshing Jump Start this time, rakugo is very captivating and I hope this series does well and stands out

Huge fan of Rakugo Shinjuu as well, very pleasant to see in Jump
Feb 13, 2022 6:36 PM

May 2010
1 chapter and I am already invested in the characters. Seeing a lot of potential but also a lot of pitfalls that it could fall short. The real battle starts in the second chapter and I cant wait to see where it goes.
Feb 13, 2022 7:25 PM

Oct 2016
Yo, that was fucking great. This was only the first chapter, but it already inflicted me with p a i n. These kinds of stories are just my type of shit. I hope it keeps it up.
Feb 13, 2022 9:11 PM
Dec 2020
A very good chapter. Excited for more.
Feb 13, 2022 10:04 PM

Jul 2010
First comedy, now rakugo? Count me in. Great start, this is manga I will be following too.
Dad didn't deserve it =_= his performance was spectacular. And expulsion, seriously? I wonder how everyone even tolerate this geezer. It doesn't matter how good he is if he acts like an ass towards EVERYONE.
Feb 14, 2022 1:49 AM

Apr 2020
That's an epic start
Feb 14, 2022 4:12 AM

Mar 2020
I loved the art style and character designs!
"The best defence is a good offence" - Kiyoshi Fujino (Prison School EP 11)
Feb 14, 2022 4:13 AM
Aug 2020
This looks promising. I hope that it will success.
Feb 14, 2022 4:20 AM

Apr 2009
Pretty unusual premise for a Jump manga. Have high hopes for this one.
Feb 14, 2022 9:52 AM

Dec 2016
It was ok for me.
They could better established who is talking like it was done in Magu chan or go more abstract like in 6P or like thay did in page 21 so we would see those characters all the time because they need to replace main aspect of Rakugo which is sound into visual aspect.
And that guy Issho, what an ashole... if this happened in "the West" he would be considered as a "Old Man Yells At Cloud" xD

Also her father really died or just his career as Rakugo? because if he really died it would be hilarious.

Now we need to see how/if story and rakugo will be able to carry this series.
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.99/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.170/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.90/? - weekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.67/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.56/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Feb 14, 2022 3:43 PM

Nov 2016
Nice start and definitely not your average Jump stuff. The title made it clear that this would be about Akane, even tho this chapter made me almost forget it with Shinta's performance. I hope she won't have to carry this series entirely on her own.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 15, 2022 2:45 AM
Dec 2008
Pretty much enjoyed this opener. The art is ok, plotwise it has potential, so looking forward to how Akane will perform.
Feb 15, 2022 7:22 AM

Aug 2020
i thought that was good but I didn't expect this good of a reception here lol.

nonetheless I'm interested. Looking forward for this to stick around.

also wtf he died bruh Akane better live up to her father.
Feb 15, 2022 10:33 AM
Dec 2019
She only states that "Shinta Arakawa" did, which was his secondary, Rakugoka name. He's still alive, but in the world of Rakugo he's "dead" so to speak.
Feb 15, 2022 11:53 AM

Apr 2009
Good start, I am intrigued.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Feb 16, 2022 12:39 AM
Mar 2018
After watching Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, I've been fascinated with Rakugo. And now a new manga on Rakugo, having a complete different perspective, it's nice
Hope in the next 2-4 years, there's an anime adaptation for it
Feb 16, 2022 2:31 AM

Jun 2020
Damn. That was a really good first chapter. Will see how the story follows.
Feb 17, 2022 1:20 AM

May 2019
dompsterfire said:

also wtf he died bruh Akane better live up to her father.

Nieznajomy43 said:

Also her father really died or just his career as Rakugo? because if he really died it would be hilarious.

When it's said 'Shinto Arakawa died' it's about his 'rakugoka self', so he died as a rakugoka, meaning he won't be doing it anymore.
Now he's just Tohru, the father.
Feb 17, 2022 12:30 PM

May 2009
She looks like Rikka
Feb 17, 2022 12:46 PM
Jan 2021
The start of the chapter had me somewhat bored but when we got to her fathers rakugo performance and the ending of the chapter I started to feel more invested in where the story will go from here. I feel like this will either be really wholesome, really depressing or a mixture of both.
Apr 20, 2022 6:21 AM

Oct 2017
This was a nice start, the end part of the chapter was quite shocking. The characters seem interesting and likeable. Also I really like the character designs and artwork.
May 29, 2022 3:50 AM

May 2020
Well i won't pretend i got the gist of what exactly Rakugo is from this first chapter itself, but still looking at someone working that hard and even then becoming a laughing stock for others is something I'd never agree with. Indeed a good start, should've started a tad early I guess.
Jul 8, 2022 5:45 PM

Apr 2018
I honestly did not expect to be so interested in Rakugo. This was an incredible and well written first chapter. Perfectly set up Shinta's character from the start, build his personality and gave him some depth. All for him to get expelled in the end but that's where the real story comes from. Akane is going to follow her father's path and probably get some kind of revenge on the school. The art is really well done, especially when they show the story that's been told by the performers.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Aug 21, 2022 11:08 AM
Apr 2020
i just liked, stop asking me questions mal
May 17, 2023 11:23 AM

Dec 2020
Wow...expelled?!

And Akane is going to follow in her father's footsteps and become a rakugoka.

Excited to see how her story unfolds.
May 19, 2023 7:24 AM

Jul 2021
After hearing about this manga for quite some time, I started reading the first chapter when I got bored while traveling long distances. It begins with a guy performing a story, most of the seats in the audience are empty, and the owner of the place shows an expression of dissatisfaction with his performance on the first page. We later see her criticizing him and telling a mob character that he wasn't always this bad. It was unclear to me what he was doing or why it was good or bad. As obvious as this is not a good start for me, I looked for something interesting to continue reading, but only found a classic shonen story about a child avenging her father.

Since I didn't know what Rakugo was, I just read another manga during my travels instead. After some time I heard that this manga was doing well in sales and got good reviews on MAL, but I still did not go back. I've had this manga on hold for a few months, and one of my friends has recommended it to me now, saying it is very good. However, I wasn't convinced since he suggested that I watch Domestic Kanojo last time, saying that it is one of the best animes out there. I watched it, and I haven't regretted doing something more than that. The only good thing that came from the anime was the opening.

As time went on, I decided to return to the manga and read it from the beginning again, but before that, I thought I should reacher Rakugo a little bit to better understand the terms. I read some articles and watched Kyotaro Tanagiya's performance of a story about a grim reaper who gave a man the power to heal people by chasing off reapers.

Since I started reading from the first chapter, I read slowly. One thing I learned during the last 8 months is that every single speech bubble in a manga serves a purpose, so I cannot skip it. It wasn't until the second time that I noticed the mother, so never skim through manga.

In addition to the good art style and the mangakas' attention to detail, I also like the character designs in this manga, and I also like the hairstyles and clothes, they look authentic and cool.

Overall this was a good start, I can see why people might like this, the story of a Rakugoka in the shounen jump is something new, and this manga has a chance in revolutionizing the shonen genre from the battle manga we see every day and pave the way for new refreshing ideas.
“There are only two types of people in the world--those who became otaku and those who didn't--and the latter just can't understand what the former is so excited about."--Ono Norihiro

Jun 18, 2023 11:01 AM

Apr 2021
Rakugo huh? I've seen this here and there in different anime but I guess this is the first time hearing the term. The story is pretty interesting.

Let's see how Akane's story unfolds.
Jul 29, 2023 2:43 AM
Jan 2018
Very exciting and sweet chapter. I am hopeful for the future. 
Oct 10, 2023 8:50 PM

Dec 2022
she's a girl on a mission, she's mad, she's gonna do right by her daddy
Oct 15, 2023 1:17 AM
Oct 2023
I was so ready to go "ohhhh they have failed entertainers in Japan too" at least the manga's not about school. And then you find out the dad's in comedian school.

Did he die? Someone knows how to make me read another chapter.
Dec 31, 2023 8:17 AM

Jun 2021
bought the first volume about a month ago at italian convention Cartoomics, including a nice little bonus (a cardboard of the main character performing). Glad that even in this country it is becoming popular, i wasn't even aware of the existence of rakugo before Joshiraku (a series i adored but it's also into a very different context) and here it seems treated seriously and with a sort of spokon-esque vibe that can easily work flawlessly. Poor father, he deserves to be vindicated and her promising interesting daughter has the best kind of attitude to succeed. Is it too soon to fantasize for a anime adaptation?
Jun 7, 1:31 PM

Dec 2017
I thought this was interesting but I'd be way more into it if it got an anime.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Akane-banashi Chapter 114 Discussion

ARK-13 - Yesterday

2 by Softhenic03 »»
Yesterday, 11:15 AM

Poll: » Akane-banashi Chapter 113 Discussion

ARK-13 - Jun 9

5 by Softhenic03 »»
Yesterday, 11:02 AM

Poll: » Akane-banashi Chapter 105 Discussion

ARK-13 - Apr 7

10 by Rexnihilo »»
Jun 11, 8:38 AM

Poll: » Akane-banashi Chapter 100 Discussion

ARK-13 - Feb 29

14 by Rexnihilo »»
Jun 11, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Akane-banashi Chapter 112 Discussion

ARK-13 - Jun 2

3 by Softhenic03 »»
Jun 3, 12:18 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.