Forum Settings
Forums

If you had to recommend one Isekai anime, which one would it be and why?

New
Jan 10, 2022 11:02 AM
Feb 2014
now i will proceed to type a bunch of words so that im allowed to post this, happy 2022

30/characters
Not all who wander are lost.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 10, 2022 11:20 AM

Mar 2020
Overgeared (Manhwa) and Shangri-La Frontier (Manga)

Overgeared is the best imitation of a video game in any manga/manhwa/anime medium, it has the best video game systems, best writing based on those systems and it dodges the shitty aspect of most manhwa with only the first 3rd actually behaving like a game and then later forget it, Overgeared is strong all the way. Overgeard also has the best journey of the MC to becoming OP, stuff he gets early in the story still remain relevant later and the display of his power level is ALWAYS consistent.

Shangri-La Frontier is basically the same thing but in a manga format, it also writes MMO RPG gameplay with extreme attention to details and the writing is incredible at how well it makes the game feel real (they use some “exploits” of game mechanics in the story and they all sounds pretty legit, like exploitable mechanics that actually exist in MMORPGs). It also shares similarities with Overgeared in how well it presents video game quests, they constantly pop up and MCs grind them for valuable rewards and the quests themselves are legit and feel like they’re from a real MMO.

Note: none of them actually have an amazing and deep story, they’re standard power fantasies with action, you’ll mostly appreciate the worldbuilding (game systems in this case) and MCs grind.

Can’t recommend anything else since pure fantasy reincarnation isekai are all pretty terrible
Tendo_GMJan 10, 2022 11:30 AM
Jan 10, 2022 11:23 AM
Jul 2018
Chihiro is the best isekai. It is a really profound movie for both children and adults. Not only can it be enjoyed just for entertainment, but you can also look deeply into its social commentary.
Jan 10, 2022 11:23 AM
Feb 2014
Tendo_GM said:

Overgeared is the best imitation of a video game in any manga/manhwa/anime medium, it has the best video game systems, best writing based on those systems and it dodges the shitty aspect of most manhwa with only the first 3rd actually behaving like a game and then later forget it, Overgeared is strong all the way.

Shangri-La Frontier is basically the same thing but in a manga format, it also writes MMO RPG gameplay with extreme attention to details and the writing is incredible at how well it makes the game feel real (they use some “exploits” of game mechanics in the story and they all sounds pretty legit, like exploitable mechanics that actually exist in MMORPGs)

Can’t recommend anything else since pure fantasy reincarnation isekai are all pretty terrible

Im a huge fan of MMORPGs so im definitely going to be checking those 2 out
Not all who wander are lost.
Jan 10, 2022 11:27 AM

Mar 2020
Xin16 said:
Tendo_GM said:

Overgeared is the best imitation of a video game in any manga/manhwa/anime medium, it has the best video game systems, best writing based on those systems and it dodges the shitty aspect of most manhwa with only the first 3rd actually behaving like a game and then later forget it, Overgeared is strong all the way.

Shangri-La Frontier is basically the same thing but in a manga format, it also writes MMO RPG gameplay with extreme attention to details and the writing is incredible at how well it makes the game feel real (they use some “exploits” of game mechanics in the story and they all sounds pretty legit, like exploitable mechanics that actually exist in MMORPGs)

Im a huge fan of MMORPGs so im definitely going to be checking those 2 out

Glad to hear it, I just updated my post and added in a little more info. You can read the original post again to get a better idea
Jan 10, 2022 11:28 AM

Mar 2015
Jahy-sama. It's a reverse isekai but close enough.
Jan 10, 2022 11:29 AM

Aug 2018
Twelve Kingdoms is one of those that only "technically" qualifies as an isekai. A person from the real world gets transported to a mythical fantasy realm. That's the only thing it has in common with the modern isekai variant.

Now if you're looking for something with more traditional isekai trappings, Iruma-Kun is damn good.
Jan 10, 2022 11:40 AM
Jul 2018
https://myanimelist.net/anime/43523/Tsuki_ga_Michibiku_Isekai_Douchuu

doesn't take itself too seriously, but at the same time it's not a goofy comedy either, it's an actual story with some interesting characters
Jan 10, 2022 11:42 AM

Sep 2020
Mushoku Tensei cause best isekai,
But honestly studio bind has did it so well taht it screams peak
Jan 10, 2022 11:46 AM

May 2021
I'd totally recommend Mushoku Tensei.
Apart from its controversies that have to do with pedophilia (which is the only reason many people hate it), it is a very good work in terms of animation and story. Not for nothing was it the first anime I inmediately rated 9 (which, in my opinion, is such an achievement).

Jan 10, 2022 12:11 PM

Mar 2021
If I could only choose one Isekai to recommend it would be "Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar".

Not only is "Tenchi Muyo! War on Geminar" an "original" Anime but it's probably one of the 1st modern Isekai I ever seen that was epic enough for me to ever give an actual 10 out of 10. This OVA series doesn't waste any time in entertaining it's audience. Unlike most Isekais, the fantasy world the story takes place in is extremely unique. Without even explaining much about this particular title, you could basically watch this Anime a couple of times and still never find a single moment watching it boring.
Jan 10, 2022 12:21 PM

Jul 2016
Ignoring the parodies or subversions like konosuba or Re;Zero I'd recommend - I can't believe I'm saying this but World's Finest Assassin. By the author of the lovely little series called Redo of a Healer. It's got the usual isekai schlock of OP protagonist who is fawned over by a harem as well as there being some really nasty reminders it is Redo's author who made it. But it also has some great, likeable characters, decent world building, and a well-paced story. Only took the genre 8 years to get up to standard.
Jan 11, 2022 2:21 AM
Jul 2018
I'm pretty sure just saying this manga is an isekai is a major spoiler, so proceed with caution.

the reason I put the manga is that I haven't seen the anime yet, but I reckon it's really good.
Jan 11, 2022 3:59 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I'd recommend not wasting your life watching seasonal anime. If that's not an acceptable answer, watch whatever would piss people who don't shut up about how much they hate it the most. Fuckin' Isekai Smartphone or something. Promoting something that makes that type of person mad can only ever be a net positive.

Jan 11, 2022 4:06 AM
Jan 2021
Grimgar: Ashes and Illusions - Action, Adventure, Drama, Fantasy
Ascendance of a Bookworm - Slice of Life, Fantasy-
It is shocking to find how many people do not believe they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.
Dune
Jan 11, 2022 4:17 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
Youjo Senki, because it's damn good, and also the only one I can think of, off the top of my head.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Jan 11, 2022 4:26 AM
Anime Emperor

Jan 2019
If I suppose we are talking about recommendations to a newbie, I'd recommend Overlord or Tensura because they are a great introduction to the genre. After them I'd go with Re:Zero and Konosuba because I think they are the best at what they do.
Jan 11, 2022 4:31 AM

Jun 2021
I am surprised no one is talking about Re:Zero .. The best isekai anime of all time in my opinion...
Haven't found a good anime dialogue to copy yet!!
Jan 11, 2022 4:32 AM

May 2021
Never watched too many isekais because I just don't really like this genre. However, the one that I actually enjoyed while watching is That time I got reincarnated as a slime. I don't you need any brains to watch this. The MC is also not edgy and annoying in my opinion.
Jan 11, 2022 4:39 AM

Feb 2021
If by chance you play Samurai Warriors or Warriors Orochi, then you should try Drifters. The cast is a host of familiar historical figures and clever strategy-based combats (seriously, using feces as an agent for gunpowder? some resourceful shit). Animation is up to par with its many hectic and violent fight sequences. Also, banger ost selection.
Jan 11, 2022 4:48 AM

Aug 2020
The Cat Returns. Why? Bcoz no one watches it. I mean it's a Ghibli movie.
Jan 11, 2022 4:52 AM

Jan 2021
Youjo Senki. Its the first that comes to mind and it does things a little bit differently from most generic isekais. Also a fucking war loli.

チュブリツァ

Jan 11, 2022 5:03 AM
Jul 2018
Juuni Kokuki (The Twelve Kingdoms). Diverting plot and amazing female mc. Literally engaging.
Jan 11, 2022 5:04 AM
Jul 2018
Jan 11, 2022 5:06 AM

Mar 2019
If the person don't mind ecchi stuff, then Mushoku Tensei.

If the person is a non-anime fan, then Spirited Away.

If the person is an anime fan but a stranger, then Tensura.
Jan 11, 2022 5:12 AM

Nov 2020
Probably mushoku tensei since it’s my favourite isekai and it’s so gooooood
Jan 11, 2022 5:15 AM

Jul 2021
If it was a beginner, probably That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. The best-done isekai that I've ever seen: a driven plot, likeable characters, great world building. For a more experienced watcher, Mushoku Tensei, because it's so good lmao.
Jan 11, 2022 5:17 AM

Jan 2019
Probably Re:Zero or Konosuba. I feel like they have the broadest appeal, at least out of what I have seen.
Jan 11, 2022 5:21 AM

Feb 2021
Mushoku Tensei and Rezero, both has great animation and story with well written characters unlike other modern isekai
Jan 11, 2022 5:24 AM

Jun 2019
inuyasha simply because it's one of my favorite animes and coincidentally it's isekai

fanart credits: @yeetoldy
Jan 11, 2022 5:29 AM

Jan 2017
Mushoku Tensei is peak fiction, I recommend it to everyone.
(⁠☞⁠ ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)⁠☞ YouTube @ The Pirate Collector ԅ⁠(⁠ ͒⁠ ⁠۝ ͒⁠ ⁠)⁠ᕤ
Jan 11, 2022 5:29 AM

Feb 2020
Digimon or Jahy-sama wa Kujikenai!
Jan 11, 2022 8:00 AM

Nov 2021
Konosuba coz of the best comedy isekai anime
Jan 11, 2022 8:16 AM

May 2020
Probably Re:zero and Konosuba. Happy 2022!

Maybe try sleeping?

Jan 11, 2022 8:24 AM

Jul 2021
Welcome to the NHK, because it's gimmick is that trucks weren't invented yet, which makes the reincarnation part literally non existent, so it has more time on the actual story, and to ensure that the viewers are familiar with the setting, they didn't simply used the generic isekai setting, but straight up the real world.
10/10 isekai

Or like Mushoku Tensei I guess.
Jan 11, 2022 8:33 AM

Aug 2020
Overlord. Be it my personal bias or actual quality, it's just straight-up fun! Essentially, it is a show where the main character is a veteran player who is getting nostalgic for his old game and relives the memories on the server for the final day of online. In the final moments, he sits at his throne and closes his eyes, expecting a message saying "thanks for playing!". But instead, he opens his eyes, and he's still there, but something is wrong. His menu is gone.

And if you are interested watch it! It's made by madhouse and while the CGI in the later seasons is a little worse, it still has an active fanbase with a season 4 and movie coming out this year.
Jan 11, 2022 8:35 AM
Jul 2018
Konosuba because it's a parody of isskai
Jan 11, 2022 8:40 AM

Oct 2018
I'd recommend Mushoku Tensei

The characters are badly written, the world building is nearly non existent, the script is a mess, the main character is a pedocon, but the animation and music are good
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jan 11, 2022 8:44 AM
May 2021
Re:Creators

https://myanimelist.net/anime/34561/Re_Creators

Why?
Because you said, "If you had to recommend one."
Jan 11, 2022 8:47 AM
Apr 2014
Re:zero. It is one of my favorites. Mostly because I like time travel concepts and this one takes it to another level.
Jan 11, 2022 10:12 AM

Mar 2012
Juuni Kokuki - great worldbuilding with a lot of unique concepts, good character growth with a good story.
Jan 11, 2022 10:22 AM
Oct 2019
“Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-“, I mainly recommend it because it’s my all time favorite anime. It has a very interesting story, especially for an Isekai, great lovable character, and BOY will you feel for the main lead. If you could go into this anime completely blind like I did, it’s a wonderful treat.
Jan 11, 2022 10:23 AM

Nov 2013
Like others already mentioned, the answer is still 12 Kingdoms. Despite being unfinished, it's still the best in terms of worldbuilding, characters, character development/growth etc.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Jan 11, 2022 10:34 AM
Aug 2021
Yu Yu Hakusho and Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen.

I consider the two best isekais I've ever watched, so I highly recommend them. Both contain action and comedy, but Yu Yu Hakusho is a fighting anime with more blood, while Honzuki no Gekokujou: Shisho ni Naru Tame ni wa Shudan wo Erandeiraremasen is a super light anime.
Jan 11, 2022 10:44 AM

Aug 2017
I recommend Overlord because the mc is op and he takes over the world. He has op supports as well. Anime has good worldbuilding
Jan 11, 2022 10:56 AM

May 2021
No game no life and mushoku tensei
Both of these are one pretty unconventional to the meta isekai stuff and thats what makes them better than most if not all of the other isekai trash,granted that shows like konosuba are pretty different in their own ways too but the problem with them is that they arent as open and diverse as ngnl or jobless reincarnation,the comedy is all there is to them and that aint bad but it just isn't amazing,there are certain obstacles they will never possibly cross unless they change the very theme of their world,which i am pretty sure is hella hard for a mangaka/author to do,take it or not,comedy us forgettable but an Impactful story,relatable characters and a solid plot aren't....there is still a fair amount of fan service and ecchi scenes but its what akes up for them is important,the best thing about mushoku tensei is that it deliberately creates those moments and then goes full on with wholesome stuff which is pretty genius and no game no life is a battle of wits kinda setting,which is pretty amazing on its own.
Jan 11, 2022 12:22 PM

Dec 2021
I would never be so cruel as to recommend someone an isekai anime. Nobody deserves such a medieval punishment.
Jan 11, 2022 8:33 PM

Dec 2007
If you're limiting it to only one, it's kind of hard to top The Twelve Kingdoms. Convincingly feels as if you've been transported to another world.
Jan 11, 2022 8:46 PM

Nov 2015
juuni kokuki : Adventure but mostly fantasy historical. it's 45 episodes long and can be frustrating at times, but my god is it worth it.

honzuki no gekokujou : slice of life and Myne can make errors even if she's stupidly smart. If you like dr.stone you may like this one.

digimon adventure: simple, actions. and has great moments. would recommend when you want something light, you could get invested in it though.
Jan 11, 2022 8:55 PM

Sep 2020
No Game No Life if they are still kinda new into anime and haven't watched much or Mushoku Tensei once they know that not all anime will be like Mushoku Tensei with the more perverted nature in some scenarios
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Do you feel shameful listening to cutesy Anime Song?

Dragevard - 5 hours ago

16 by APolygons2 »»
1 minute ago

» Love at first sight XD ( 1 2 3 4 )

kirAth-shiAue - Mar 24, 2007

178 by APolygons2 »»
2 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 )

Anjuro - Yesterday

55 by perseii »»
5 minutes ago

» What is the best anime cheering ever?

SgtBateMan - 9 hours ago

16 by Grecefar »»
18 minutes ago

» What are your Anime Hot Takes ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Jun 2

55 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.