Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 7, 2021 8:45 PM

Dec 2020
cried TWO times on the first episode of an anime ive known or even heard NOTHING of this is insane

its really nothing special, just a kid want grow up dad no agree trope but fuckkkkk😭😭 i still cried. probably because of how they presented the characters, not in a smart clever way but in a way that got me attached to them in minutes

not a fan of mecha especially cgi ones but this is pretty nice, definitely something ill look forward to a lot every week
Oct 7, 2021 9:04 PM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Jesus, that was pretty fucking sudden and brutal at the end.

Frankly, might be my favorite first episode so far, only bad thing about is the CG for the kaijus which looks pretty wack.
Oct 7, 2021 9:53 PM
Panzer Vor!

Jun 2014
Great start, but feelsbad to kill two great characters like that....well my bad for not noticing the absurd death flag.
Oct 7, 2021 9:54 PM
Sep 2019
Connected with the dad aspect a lot, and the buildup throughout the episode was so flawless, than seeing the father daughter conversation and the resolve, almost made me tear up. Great. Really excited to see the story progress.
Oct 7, 2021 10:00 PM

Mar 2017
Favorite premiere so far!
Oct 7, 2021 10:12 PM
Jun 2020
Really good first episode! The sense of adventure reminds me of Made in the Abyss, with a dash of Deca-Dence. Father-daughter dynamic is rare and I actually like their chemistry. Already looking forward to this!
Oct 7, 2021 10:41 PM
Anime Cat

Aug 2017
Everything is amazing except the CG which worse than Muv-Luv.

An impactful moment right at the start. Mememp thought she is already a grown-up and want to be free from her father. But after a slap of tragedy, she realized she still needs her father.

Only one episode needed to create some painful death. That was brilliant. Lydia, Walsh, you're gonna be remembered.

That chuckle still hurts.
Oct 7, 2021 10:52 PM

Aug 2012
FMmatron said:
Such a great start. Reminds me a lot of Gurren Lagann. Quirky charas, mecha, working underground and the whole style of the rustic futuristic setting. Like the City has also something of Kamina City

One of the highly anticipated title this Fall and this episode definitely left a strong impression.

F for Walsh and Lynda.

nightcrawlercyp said:
The animation is great but the story... up until the monsters attack is shit. I mean it promotes the worst feminist propaganda ever, From the child abusing the father just because she wants to go somewhere to everyone supporting a 9 years child in attemoting a life threatening journing, to everyone telling Gagaumber he lost when his daughter tells him that because he is the sole money winner he isn't allow to keep most of the money he earns for himself. The ungratitude is huge. If she were my kid I would have made her arse red. Also her dream is dumb... there was a reason humans left the surface, going back without first establishing a safe route from kaijuu is suicide. And how about the idea of a genius child at 9... really now? That is total bs.

It's always you 🤣

You young chicks should watch Married with Children. Unfortunately what was comedy back then became sad reality today
Oct 7, 2021 10:59 PM

Aug 2012
theGodde said:
this irritates me in so many ways
first of all why have her be 9 years old? not only does it stretch believability that a 9 year old graduated college, invents things, and behaves like a grown adult, but there would be absolutely no loss to her character if she was 12 or 13. I don't think you'd have to change the character design whatsoever. But as it stands, no 9 year old would ever act like this. Do the writers just have no experience writing children whatsoever?

that aside the world building here feels rushed and uninteresting. What helped Made in Abyss' world building was how the characters treated the abyss with such awe and reverence, and them talking about it and finding out new information was always delivered at an appropriate time in the story.

The pacing here was frenetic and wild. And the dad's character seems a little messy atm. So he's incompetent and unambitious, but his friend said in a passing line that he had this big reputation and that he gave it all up for his daughter. However his character is delivered in such a way that I can't see him ever having been some big deal hot shot. It seems more like he's set up for a "rags to riches" type story where he grows as a person through this trip with his daughter

Also the death of both the dad and daughter's friends at the end felt like a very generic and stupid decision. Not only do we lose two important characters that took half the screentime of this first episode, but the result of their deaths could have been accomplished easily without any of this. The traumatised reaction of the daughter would be perfectly realistic if she witnessed anyone dying, or literally just from being confronted by the big monster. In fact if that was the case, it would have worked better since it's a character flaw to overcome (being afraid of monsters).

My reaction was frustration. We've only been introduced to 4 characters, and now 2 are dead right off the bat. Which means next episode we'll need to be introduced to even more characters. It's just uneconomical writing for no good reason.

this is not good storytelling folks. This is rushed, tonally inconsistent, and incredibly messy. If you wanna see good storytelling from this season, check out Heike Monogatari or Takt Op. Destiny. Both have far better written introductions.

DoubleBox said:
It was very good first episode, we were introduced the main goal, characters, story, and sudden twists. Although a lot was introduced, it didn’t feel rushed or just random, everything was introduce well. Hope this keeps my hype of this anime.

el_morris said:
right off the bat you have the basic elements of the story, personal motives of the characters, the world they live in and add a good animation, and you got this hell of a good show.

You know it's a bad introduction when normies are able to identify the story construction. The point of a good introduction is that it all feels natural and invisible.

Last comment sums it up perfectly!
Oct 7, 2021 11:16 PM
Apr 2017
Loved the first episode, hope it stays as good as this.
Oct 8, 2021 2:16 AM

Oct 2016
Here I was, really enjoying the wholesome vibes and then they hit us with that, damn. That was a great start! I am enjoying the father-daughter duos... Well duo. RIP Lynda and Walsh, especially Lynda though.

Show reminds me of Deca-Dence and a bit of Made in Abyss, just some aspects of those shows, but Sakugan is definitely it's own thing. Looking forward for some father-daughter adventure, with more fun and less pain please.
Oct 8, 2021 2:17 AM

Jan 2021
I really like the character design of this series and also like their family feeling.

Oct 8, 2021 2:27 AM

Jan 2014
Really digging the vibes with this one so far, and with how it pretty much showed how nothing is a given, with ow they just basically almost destroyed a nine year old's spirit by killing her best friend like that. Fucking ouch.
Oct 8, 2021 2:30 AM
Jan 2021
Memenpu has a character, very unique. She was just a little girl. But I could sense that she was going to face something more terrifying than a child this age could accept. I want to get to know her better.
Oct 8, 2021 2:36 AM

Jan 2021
The two genres (or themes) that I avoid the most are sci-fi and mecha, but seeing the trailer looks fun so I decided to watch it and it turns out that episode 1 is already interesting and really fun.

By the way, since a lot of people say it's similar to Deca-Dence and Made in Abyss, does that mean there's going to be an adventure?

Oct 8, 2021 2:45 AM

Oct 2018
Good first episode. It was unique, had good worldbuilding, a nice father-daughter duo with good chemistry, and an engaging twist to top it all off. The writing isn't amazing, but you can clearly see that this anime has it's own vision and is doing a great job of achieving what it sets out to do so far.
I'm fine with the girl acting pretty mature for a 9-year-old, worrying about a character's age in anime is pretty dumb for the most part

theGodde said:

You know it's a bad introduction when normies are able to identify the story construction. The point of a good introduction is that it all feels natural and invisible.

Is your idea of a 'normie' just someone that enjoys something that you didn't?
g1lOct 8, 2021 2:50 AM

Oct 8, 2021 4:18 AM
Apr 2021
G1llette said:
I'm fine with the girl acting pretty mature for a 9-year-old, worrying about a character's age in anime is pretty dumb for the most part
"It's anime so it can ignore logic" is a bad argument, especially considering this is a character behaving unrealistically - and relatable and grounded characters are necessary for many viewers to connect with the story.
G1llette said:
typical internet response to criticism - completely miss the point of the conclusion and ignore all the previous statements qualifying that conclusion.

it's perfectly fair to enjoy whatever you want, but once you offer an objective statement like "x point is irrelevant because anime" or "y show is good because it does the bare minimum for a pilot episode" then I'm gonna jump in and point out what's lacking. They're not normies because they don't enjoy the same things as me, but because they engage with media in a surface level way (which is fine, but normal - hence "normie").

it's so obnoxious and dumb to write off any form of criticism as opinion or personal attack. Although you did try and defend the age/maturity aspect somewhat. But it wasn't based on actual arguments and instead on downplaying basic storytelling so it's not like you ever tried to engage my points in any meaningful way.
Oct 8, 2021 4:32 AM

Feb 2017
This one was really good. I was already looking forward to this show and now I am even more excited to see what it will offer.
Oct 8, 2021 4:34 AM

Oct 2018
theGodde said:
G1llette said:
"It's anime so it can ignore logic" is a bad argument, especially considering this is a character behaving unrealistically - and relatable and grounded characters are necessary for many viewers to connect with the story.
G1llette said:
typical internet response to criticism - completely miss the point of the conclusion and ignore all the previous statements qualifying that conclusion.

it's perfectly fair to enjoy whatever you want, but once you offer an objective statement like "x point is irrelevant because anime" or "y show is good because it does the bare minimum for a pilot episode" then I'm gonna jump in and point out what's lacking. They're not normies because they don't enjoy the same things as me, but because they engage with media in a surface level way (which is fine, but normal - hence "normie").

it's so obnoxious and dumb to write off any form of criticism as opinion or personal attack. Although you did try and defend the age/maturity aspect somewhat. But it wasn't based on actual arguments and instead on downplaying basic storytelling so it's not like you ever tried to engage my points in any meaningful way.

I wasn't necessarily trying to argue any of your points, I was just wondering about the way you used the term normie as I'd always interpreted as people with a basic and mainstream view of anime (only having seen stuff like FMAB, AOT, etc). You cleared that up now though so I have no issues.

I don't disagree with you that the representation of a 9-year-old is pretty silly here, but with other anime such as Made in Abyss doing similar things it bothers me a lot less. I'd enjoy the anime the same if she was a teenager, but I suppose they made her younger to emphasize the father-daughter relationship.

Nothing against the other points you raised, the themes are pretty surface level to be fair. I just personally found that it had an interesting enough narrative and directing to make up for it at the moment, but I can definitely understand how some of the major flaws can turn people off this anime.

Oct 8, 2021 4:41 AM

Feb 2019
Definitely one of the strongest and most realistic father-daughter relationships in the entire medium. The fact that they're going to be the only two named characters going into the next episode will definitely make the act of leaving Pinyin feel much more poignant.

Visually, also, there's clearly a lot of thought and talent. Scenes such as Memempu and Gaganbar in front of the explosion or her and Lydia crossing hands in front of the map were very well framed, and I see that Satelight has elected to use more variable designs to magnify scenes of high energy.
Well I for one already loved Lain.
Oct 8, 2021 4:50 AM

Oct 2008
okay...1st episode IN and we have character deaths huh...let's see where this goes...
5/5.

Oct 8, 2021 4:58 AM
Apr 2021
G1llette said:
I wasn't necessarily trying to argue any of your points, I was just wondering about the way you used the term normie as I'd always interpreted as people with a basic and mainstream view of anime (only having seen stuff like FMAB, AOT, etc). You cleared that up now though so I have no issues.
sorry for the misunderstanding, I'm glad you've taken this with such grace

G1llette said:
I don't disagree with you that the representation of a 9-year-old is pretty silly here, but with other anime such as Made in Abyss doing similar things it bothers me a lot less. I'd enjoy the anime the same if she was a teenager, but I suppose they made her younger to emphasize the father-daughter relationship.

I think the issue here isn't age, but believable behaviour from the characters. The Made in Abyss characters were for the most part portrayed as realistically immature. Sure normal kids wouldn't be as accustomed to violence as them, but there are millions of real world examples of children who grow up around war and violence to build upon for characterisation. I could see actual real children behaving the way they did. But here the daughter behaves with incredible maturity aside from some select scenes where the difference was so stark that it felt like I was seeing two different characters. This just isn't how children behave and that was my problem.

G1llette said:
Nothing against the other points you raised, the themes are pretty surface level to be fair. I just personally found that it had an interesting enough narrative and directing to make up for it at the moment, but I can definitely understand how some of the major flaws can turn people off this anime.
Fair enough. If I'm being honest it's more fun to be less strict and just enjoy entertainment. I'm in so deep that I'm hard wired to nitpick and take everything seriously. It's rare these days that I can sit down and enjoy anything that isn't incredibly well made. I'm glad you can have some fun watching a relatively mediocre show.
Oct 8, 2021 5:02 AM

Sep 2016
Director has a nice sense of humor. Kill 2 characters then blast some jolly motivational music seconds later.
Oct 8, 2021 6:33 AM
Sep 2008
LOL @ her eyes just straight up turning into the same color as that green kaiju stuff
Oct 8, 2021 1:39 PM

Feb 2014
To be honest, if I didn't read the synopsis of this series before watching the first episode, I would've thought that Trigger animated it. Satelight did a very good job in terms of production values here. The CGI used for the mechs and kaiju was about average, which is fine with me.

Memempu and Gaganbar have a rather dysfunctional relationship where they're at each others throats since Memempu wants to go adventuring, which her father vehemently says no to it. Their friends, Lynda and Walsh, do inject some needed words of wisdom and advice towards Gaganbar, but I didn't expect the duo to get killed in the first episode during the kaiju attack.

It was enough to open Memempu's eyes about the dangers of the world around her, but it was also enough for Gaganbar to shift his views and agree to take Memempu with him in his own mech and go out on their adventure together.

With vibes of Made In Abyss and Deca-Dence with its setting, I think this show will be an enjoyable ride, even if pain and suffering might be around every corner to snuff out the amusing comedic moments here and there. Dark horse of the season? Who knows, but only time will tell on that one. =)
Oct 8, 2021 2:27 PM

Apr 2021
Amazing episode, the first episode shocked the hell out of me! Loved the character designs and the immersion. It might be a rushed, but that was still sick and enjoyable to watch. Looking foward for it!
Oct 8, 2021 2:52 PM

Dec 2015
While Takt Op. didn't (yet) make me look forward to the next episodes ...
this one started a lot better.

Yeah girl a bit annoying and the comedy with repeating the same words over and over.
But the setting is much cooler and the adult male main - is much better than the "generic boy a high schooler age".

Plot probably won't be too interesting - fit gets to aventuring + no deeper interestign story. And I liked the other adult male - that got killed and other 2 chars listed as main on MAL ... don't look too interesting.

But we'll see. For now this was a lot better than Takt Op.
Oct 8, 2021 3:58 PM

Sep 2017
Holy shit I didn't see that coming. Was thinking it was gonna be the catalyst for a time skip where our 9 year old accepts that she's too young for this (even tho she is an actual genius considering she has graduated college), but seems like that is not the case. Kinda woulda preferred that but I'm still onboard. It's kind of like how Riku is so attached to the abyss. Who knows what this series will get into with that regard. Feel like the legendary Marker Uropopo or w/e (who they explicitly said is female) could be a Lyza from MiA situation.
Oct 8, 2021 8:07 PM
Mar 2012
i like the silliness with Decadance feeling, mix beautiful chinese city with westerners, & mc bit like Tanya. Well fast rip.
Pacing feel very weird tho, maybe too much talk of marker & adventure instead of actually trying to leave. Has potential as a dad & kid journey.

Oct 8, 2021 10:58 PM

Mar 2018
Lynda my new waifu died in this episode lol

Anyway great episode
Oct 9, 2021 1:13 AM

Aug 2015
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOT THE MILF AND THE GILF
Oct 9, 2021 1:15 AM

Dec 2019
I don't know what is Deca Dence y'all talking about all these time might check it out later~

I hate Gurenn Lagann and not a big fan Mecha genre, somehow I kinda little bit interested on Sakugan..defo waiting next episode!
The Characters name so cute <3 Memenpu
Once a flower withered, it can never bloom again..

Oct 9, 2021 4:09 AM

Jul 2021
I actually really liked this episode, and it's definitely not what I expected but I'm not complaining. I love the art style and character designs, and the setting is interesting. Definitely excited for the next episode.

Also was not expecting Lynda and Walsh to just go out like that out of nowhere. What even happened there?
Oct 9, 2021 7:09 AM
Jan 2010
this was the most boring shit I've seen this season and it's a miracle with jobless faggot airing at the same time
9 year old genius university student i mean seriously fuck off
also they have a lot of nerve calling this sakugan with half of the show being CG trash
Oct 9, 2021 7:38 AM

Oct 2010
I am here to crack a joke:
'Sakugan no Sana'
On a serious note:
Strong deca-dence feeling. Especially with that '3D-scanner in general house possession' and rows of monitors.
Also ep1 execution felt a bit rushed at the end.
Oct 9, 2021 7:44 AM

Aug 2020
Goddamn it . Everything was very well done , until the last few minutes . the father daughter relationship , the compromises and the hardships they both have to deal with , the contrasting relationship of the other father and daughter and how the fare in comparison , all was done with extreme care and understanding of the theme .
I had few gripes with the introduction of their world with how incongruous it was , but they are things that can easily be pushed under the rug as it could be touched upon later .

But for fuck sake , the way how she and her father got over their shock , temporarily as it may (or could )be , was just way too unnatural and jarring . they could have atleast ended the ep at where those 2 died , gave a few minutes of the next ep to bring up the topic again and how they will go on from there and how the characters are doing mentally , AND then moved onto the mecha loading . but that was way too rushed and gave little to no value to the deaths of 2 very lovable characters with how it was done . So disappointing , and its even more frustrating when these are things that could have been avoided .

I know they want to make an epic 1st ep , and give reason to watch it again , but not like this . Not like this .

And i expected the CG to be the strong point for this series and the 2d to be very mediocre . turns it is quite the opposite . the CG looked very poorly rendered and the animation itself left a lot to be desired .
TweedleDaneOct 9, 2021 12:08 PM
Oct 9, 2021 10:27 AM
Oct 2019
Wow what a Strong First Episode. It's quite emotional tbh and of course relatable if you are a father right now.

The Introduction, the Characters, Goals, Good Animation (CGI was alright), Great Music, Great Character Design & Interesting Storyline.

It's rare to see Anime having a Father and Daughter relationship as the main story right?
I can't even think one on top of my head.

Definitely Underdog from this Season, not many people gonna watch while it's airing.
Oct 9, 2021 12:09 PM

Jul 2012
I always get a little nervous about original anime, not because I think they'll be bad, but just because there's no roadmap so no one has any idea how it'll go and whether it'll collapse on itself. But I guess that's part of the fun.

In any case, I think this is one of my favorite pilots of the season. It looks great, has personality, interesting world building, and really has an impactful sentimental message about fatherhood. Def also see the gurren lagan and abyss influence, so I'm kinda already sold on the premise if they do it well. I'm very excited for where the series could go and hope it carries the momentum from this killer ep 1.
Oct 9, 2021 12:39 PM
Oct 2011
sKyBlazer08 said:
Here I was, really enjoying the wholesome vibes and then they hit us with that, damn. That was a great start! I am enjoying the father-daughter duos... Well duo. RIP Lynda and Walsh, especially Lynda though.

Show reminds me of Deca-Dence and a bit of Made in Abyss, just some aspects of those shows, but Sakugan is definitely it's own thing. Looking forward for some father-daughter adventure, with more fun and less pain please.

Yeah, I absolutely loved this first episode, got so attached right away.

The art and animation was fantastic too, gave me some Trigger vibes from all the "personality" and expressiveness, great music too.

So much potential.
DangerMouseDMOct 9, 2021 12:49 PM
Oct 9, 2021 12:47 PM

Nov 2019
wow I guess the DJ K voice is Kamiya Hiroshi-San
Oct 9, 2021 5:33 PM
May 2018
theGodde said:

"normies"... xd.
Oct 9, 2021 7:19 PM

Mar 2014
a combination of a father and a daughter...but this may end the same way like Gurren Lagann
Oct 9, 2021 8:57 PM

Jul 2016
DatRandomDude said:
Jesus, that was pretty fucking sudden and brutal at the end.

Frankly, might be my favorite first episode so far, only bad thing about is the CG for the kaijus which looks pretty wack.

The sketchlines as Lynda and Walsh bought it were brutal and so well placed...
Oct 10, 2021 8:13 AM
Dec 2019
This first episode was pretty good. The world is pretty interesting and I like Memenpu and Gagumber.
Oct 10, 2021 8:54 AM
Jul 2021
Man this was a little bit hard to understand, will get used to it
Oct 11, 2021 6:13 AM

Jul 2019
The CGI wasn't great but damn I am hyped for the rest!
The world seems really unique and interesting with a great cast of characters: I love the dynamics between the father and his daughter. The animation is top notch with some Trigger feels to it.
This has a lot of potential and I got me hyped real quick.
If it is anything like Made In Abyss (and it seems like it is) then I am all for it! There's also some really heavy Deca Dence vibes which was a great anime full of surprise (sadly it passed a bit under the radar though).
Oct 11, 2021 11:39 AM

Apr 2015
I liked the aesthetics and the animation is great, but the premise feels like a watered down version of certain other shows and the pacing was off(mostly rushed)
Oct 11, 2021 1:22 PM
Ooga Booga

Jul 2020
A bit of Made in Abyss vibes but its seems like a pretty nice concept. Hopefully it'll live up to my expectations ^~^

smoochie smoochie[/center]
Oct 14, 2021 7:31 AM
Propmaker/Etsy

Jun 2014
that was a hell of a first episode
cant wait to see what their journey has in store!
Oct 14, 2021 9:06 AM

Jul 2017
I watch this because my friend told me that this Lynda character died in the first episode. but oh god it's still caught me off guard wtf was that!!!
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sakugan Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 25, 2021

51 by Talamare »»
Jun 17, 10:20 PM

Poll: » Sakugan Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2021

67 by RioAl »»
Nov 3, 2023 11:27 PM

» Will there be a second season?

LovelyTekki - Dec 27, 2021

5 by Ionliosite2 »»
Mar 13, 2023 12:36 PM

» yay or nay

Wlad- - Feb 8, 2019

33 by PulpoPol »»
Oct 18, 2022 7:50 PM

Poll: » Sakugan Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2021

39 by Titadou »»
Jul 14, 2022 3:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.