Forum Settings
Forums
Mirai
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Sep 8, 2019 10:17 PM

Jul 2016
Lovely movie. Really liked the concept of the daily life of a typical household seen through the eyes of a kid and though there were some aspects that didn't fully convince me, it was still an enjoyable experience.

Regarding productions values, the way they were handled was great. The animation was consistent and those hand drawn backgrounds were pure eye candy. The BGM was also quite nice but not as remarkable as the previous aspects I mentioned.

Now, on the other hand, I think the last part in the train station was dragged a bit too much for my taste and the way how Mirai explained the tree's role in the story felt rushed as well. Honestly, I would have wished the fantasy aspect to have more development since I found it kinda inconsistent as it was but unfortunately, that wasn't the case. Probably the weakest point in this movie.
And also, on a side note, Kun's VA wasn't really of my liking but other than that, I liked his character. His behaviour was absolutely convincing for a 4 years old.

7/10 - Enjoyable and touching for moments but nothing truly special.

P.S.: Seeing so many people hating Kun because of him being a brat is... interesting to say the least. I mean, as if they had never acted just the same when they were 3 or 4 years old, come on...
Sep 14, 2019 7:04 AM

Jun 2013
I just finished watching this today. I loved the story, although I wish, they could've featured his future self and his great-grandfather more. Honestly, the great-grandfather was the best part of the movie. Of course, Kun and Mirai were both adorable as a young child and baby but the great-grandfather unknowingly bonding with his future great-grandson was so touching it made me tear up several times. That part where the great-grandfather raced his future wife was also quite touching. I wish they made more Anime that took place during that time period.
臭い-
Feb 9, 2020 1:37 PM

May 2015
Great grandpa was badass.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Apr 26, 2020 7:37 AM

Jun 2014
Most annoying brat ever.
Rely on nothing under heaven
Jun 6, 2020 3:24 PM

Jun 2017
This movie was soo cute and entertaining!! And as some said before the visuals were really nice! I agree that Kun was a little bratty but you have to realize he's only four.
Also, I teared up when the great grandfather and his future wife were racing and her letting him win. It was a sweet moment.
Jun 6, 2020 4:31 PM

Nov 2014
I liked this a lot more than Boy and Beast. BB was very average outside of animation. This is a lot more enjoyable.

Jun 6, 2020 4:31 PM

Nov 2014
Sisslith said:
Most annoying brat ever.
yeah bro, you hit the bulleye

Jun 13, 2020 1:42 AM

Jan 2019
It was good, that’s all I can really say about it. I watched the dub, and the kid is so fucking annoying but I really liked the dad for some reason. Overall it kinda reminds me of when one of your grandparents tells you a story from their childhood, and you get filled with some sort of strange nostalgia, but it can also be excruciatingly boring sometimes. That’s basically this movie. The time travel scenes are great and interesting, the story of the grandpa was very heartwarming, but everything else is just soooo ffffuuuccckkkiiinnngg boring.
Jun 27, 2020 2:39 AM

Nov 2011
This was so amazing, fun filled family movie, had so much heart. Really connected with this movie too, i also have an over achieving little sibling that i might get compared to sometimes so i felt Kun-chan's feeling for most of it, yes, some oh his reactions were a bit over the top but at the same time i am living with a 2 year old right now, and the portrayal is not that far off from reality, all in all, fantastic movie, will recommend to any young family. 8.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Aug 15, 2020 11:41 PM

Nov 2017
This film is criminally underrated, I've never seen such a well made family movie like this one. The baby Mirai was so cute that Everytime it showed up i made weird noises. I shed tears , I laughed and enjoyed it till the end. This film reminded me again that how adorable a family can be and how important it is. A solid 10/10 . No doubt it won the Academy award in Japan.
KuroidenshaAug 16, 2020 12:00 AM

Sep 8, 2020 9:05 AM

Jan 2013
The movie was saved by the final 10 minutes.

I just couldn't get over the fact how obnoxious Kun was, paired with the fact that the voice actress that voiced him felt out of place and didn't fit the character at all. (Apparently this was her first role too)
Surely the parents would've at least taught him to not resort to violence the moment he doesn't get his way.
And somehow Kun was raised with never knowing the word "No" except when it comes to using it himself, whenever he's asked to do something he doesn't like as much it's immediately followed up by a tantrum.
Maybe I'm looking too much into it, I'm not a father myself but that really made it less enjoyable for me.

But like I said, the final 10 minutes however, absolutely beautiful!
Other things I did enjoy was the portrayal of all the future characters, Yukko, Kun's older self, Mirai's future self ... and MOST OF ALL ... the great grandfather, his story how he met his wife, the scene with Kun riding on his horse and motorcycle.

And I get that the story is how everyone we meet and interact with is what makes us who we are (showing us with the help of the tree) but I think the movie could've done a better job of telling us without Kun not knowing any decent behaviour.

Oh and I loved the design of the house, great touch ^^

7/10
Oct 17, 2020 5:00 AM

Jul 2019
the film is probably Chizu's least ambitious movie, which explains the score of ~7.3

in any case however, it was a bit confusing from time to time but you can tell that there was no intention to make this the next big thing for Chizu. oh well, was still a nice watch I guess.
Nov 10, 2020 3:09 PM

Oct 2013
Fine movie. Lighthearted and family friendly. I expected something, though. I read a lot of very positive reviews and opinions around the time this movie was released in the cinemas. Back then I didn't have time to go to the cinema to watch it (I regret it, as for anime movies are very rarely shown in the cinemas in my country), but after I saw it lately I can say that it was fine, but only fine. Not that good as people described it to be.
Dec 29, 2020 4:20 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Like a other people, I thought this would be more about Mirai and Kun, but it really wasn't, lol. it doesn't really matter to me though, because I didn't think Mirai's future self was really interesting anyways? Kun and future Mirai's interactions weren't amazing or anything, although the last bit was nice.

So obviously this is going to be very biased, but I could not get into the movie, from the first moment Kun opened his mouth. The voice and character did not match at all imo. It took me out of immersion, well actually, it didn't allow me to get immersed in the movie in the first place because of the voice. But I thought maybe I'd get used to it, yet I felt like there was another problem I had with Kun...his lines. I'm not sure how he really spoke in Japanese, but the English subs did not make it feel like he was a kid to me. I've worked with kids beginning from 1.5 year old, and while he is 4 years old, he sounded and spoke older than some of my 7 year old students. The moments when he threw tantrums were accurate of children that age (kids a bit older can still act like that), but the way he spoke most of the time flowed too well, it doesn't have the cadence(?), the inflection, and lack of rhythm children at that age typically have. If they went with actors/actresses for the VAs as most other original anime movies do for realism, then why stop there? Why not get a real child to voice Kun? Especially how they actually had real children voicing the kids at the park, which made me confused. No, I'm not saying to have a 4 year old voice Kun. Surely they had time to find an 8-9 year old kid to voice Kun, just as Barakamon did for all the kids in the anime, or maybe even 14 year olds could do a pretty good job, like in Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi and Seirei no Moribito. I wouldn't have minded if an adult voiced an older child, like in Sanzoku no Musume Ronja. But a 4 year old voiced by an 18 year old? It really doesn't work, imo.

Kun's behavior and tantrums are realistic though. I liked how he was really knowledgeable about trains, too. It reminded me of a 3 year old toddler that I had worked with and how he knew many things about airplanes that I didn't even know of (granted, I know almost nothing).

I liked the theme of how everything in the past is connected to the present and the future, but overall, the movie fell flat to me. I think the execution was a bit lacking. I love slice of life and family stories and I don't think there needs to be a "point" to every story, or even character growth, if it's in a movie such as this. I understand why there's no real character growth here especially since Kun is a 4 year old. How much character growth can a 4 year old get, lol. Even if he grew up to not be the most agreeable teenager, it doesn't really matter. Families don't always change for the better, they might just stay the same way for a good chunk of the time when the kids are still kids. It's actually quite realistic that no one really changes in the movie. I liked the "time travel" to the past part with the mom as a child (as it correlates to how she disciplines Kun, also that was just sad to see, brought back some unpleasant memories) as well as the part with the MVP, the great-grandfather. But the movie didn't feel cohesive. The whole train station part made me go ?? I honestly don't have the words to explain how I feel about Mirai no Mirai. It was neither about Mirai, the younger sister, nor was it really about the future. I read most of the review after watching the movie to see if maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really think so. Maybe in the end, it's because I didn't feel any emotional resonance with the movie.

My favorite things about the movie are the amazing great-grandfather and the design of the house. I love unconventional layouts, and that house really hits the spot. Great job, Hosoda, hiring the architect~ Okay, and yes, Hosoda's directing was nice, too. I didn't focus on it as much this time around, though, since I was too distracted by how Kun didn't feel like a real kid to me :'D
Apr 23, 2021 7:50 AM

Aug 2012
This is Hosoda's weakest film imo but it was still good. I just felt like the idea was interesting certainly but the story itself was lacking. Most of the time travel elements felt random and too convienient and the explanation of the family index tree was almost a dues ex machina excuse to try and tie everything up.

Again I think there is a nice idea here and perhaps a different approach to the story could have improved the film but what in the hell do I know. Hosoda is a genius but for me his powers were at their lowest with this entry.

May 12, 2021 10:01 AM
Aug 2013
Wow, I remember when this was being praised all over the place because it was nominated for an Academy Award. I saw it way back in February 2019, just a few days before the Academy Awards. And I couldn't believe how bad it was. Even during its height, the MAL score was around 7.60. Now it's gone down to 7.31, as more people haven't bought into the Emperor's New Clothes.

How this got nominated over Liz and the Blue Bird or I Want to Eat Your Pancreas was astounding.
May 29, 2021 4:40 AM

Jul 2019
Underrated movie, should be an 8.00+

The entire last 1/3 of the movie is a 10/10

Gippy said:
How this got nominated over Liz and the Blue Bird or I Want to Eat Your Pancreas was astounding.

This one has the best animation by far and it's from a successful film studio that's on the rise, those things matter to American awards, Japanese awards are more fair because they know what they're doing

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
KuniiJun 2, 2021 12:56 AM
Jun 18, 2021 6:11 AM

Nov 2017
Bruh, the main character has to be one of the most insufferable brat in anime.
Jul 27, 2021 12:07 PM

Sep 2020
This movie was surprisingly good , MC's mom somewhat remind me of my mom ngl.
Aug 5, 2021 4:18 PM

Dec 2015
Seen on ARTE, for the Tôkyô 2021/Japanese cinema summer cycle.

A nice film about several aspects of family (as expected), with a slim coming of age for the newly appointed brother as its backbone, that lacks organization. The highlights are the humour and approach to family (parents would probably appreciate that part).
Closer to real life than than Hosoda's previous works, maybe more personal, it loses a good deal of its potential appeal by surprisingly making the fantasy explicitly real (something totally unnecessary in this kind of story, but making the writing far easier) and losing itself in a futile fantasy adventure toward the end, tacked on what was clearly a collection of "slice-of-life" vignettes. A pity that Hosoda didn't contain his needs for a fantasy show (or didn't trust the audience enough?).

The fact the true to reality young hero is 4 years old is quite easy to forget watching the film, wich is a plus since the director quickly forgot about it too. It's also helped by the small child's voice, never sounding nor acting like one.
(I'm baffled to read such strong reactions over his behaviour.)

Featuring simple character-designs you've come to expect from Studio Chizu, the anime is visually very pretty (I regret missing its cinema release) and offers quite an appealing setting with the architect house. But it suffers from a few attempts to provide depth to the panorama and from the computer-like style of several backgrounds (especially the house) and movement scenes. And Hosoda's typical "virtual world" style is even forcefully included for a few pictures.

Score: 6,5/10
Enjoyment: 4/5
A nice change to Hosoda's formula on his favourite themes, promising but requiring some polishing.
(A promise cancelled by his soon-to-be third "Digital World" movie).

Special mention to ARTE, that aired a copy very poorly encoded on the two scenes full of moving CGI objects (like the whirlpool one) ! I can understand it for their streaming videos, but not for their TV broadcast...
Rei_IIIAug 5, 2021 4:24 PM
Sep 2, 2021 3:07 PM
Jun 2021
PASSION PAYS OFF!

Mirai is by far the greatest anime films I have seen to date. “But the movie is so cliche like-“ SHUT UP!!! The color full animation, absolutely beautiful visuals, and the music are all in support for the story that creates a breathtaking film! This movie was created with sheer passion and, as viewers, you can feel all that sweat and tears rain down on you like a hurricane. Amazing film I recommend.
Nov 7, 2021 12:51 PM

Aug 2015
That was less of a continuous plot and more of a series of vignettes. I enjoyed a lot it for what it was, though.

This movie was recommended by a friend who loves trains and has very recognizable yellow pants. I had a good laugh when the little boy was revealed to be obsessed with trains and threw a tantrum over his pants.

Absolutely loved the focus on architecture - especially the panning shots in section view from one room of the house to another. Clearly a lot of passion and care went into modeling and drawing these architectural details. But it was hilarious watching the architect dad cadding/modeling using a MAC AND TRACKPAD.

Another friend joked that it was propaganda to encourage the Japanese population to settle down and have kids, what with their rapidly aging population due to the younger generation choosing not to have kids, and also the country's complete aversion to immigration.
  • "Misbehaving kids are so endearing" - Don't worry when you see annoying little brats in public. When you have your own you will even love their worst moments. (In reality, if you think you won't be a good parent and don't want kids, you should just follow your gut instinct and remain childless, even in the face of societal pressure. So many people are so flippant about bring a whole new life into the world.)
  • "You became a better husband after Kun" - Don't worry if your man seems irresponsible and incompetent right now. He will step up after you're pregnant! (WRONG. WRONG. DO NOT TRY TO SAVE YOUR MARRIAGE WITH A BABY. I was enjoying this cutesey story but this line made me cringe)
  • Don't worry if you are a working professional trying to forward your career! Have kids anyway! These parents are both busy working professionals! They're successful and have kids! Look how happy they are! Do not consider the ramifications of trying to take a maternity or paternity leave when the work culture is just grind-grind-grind! ....The mother even has to return to work so soon after her pregnancy. The dad must be quite high ranking if he can work from home for this long. But they pull through, no arguments, no blowing caskets, any struggles are depicted as "cute" and "fluffy". I guess this is also just a staple of slice-of-life, but it is overly idealized.
  • The entire arc with the great grandfather - Do you consider yourself a COOL MANLY MAN? Maybe you think cool manly men should remain lone wolves? Wrong. You should settle down and have kids. Look at how cool and manly this war veteran is. Look how much this great grandson looks up to him. This could be you.

I'd watch an entire show/movie about the great grandpa. Absolute chad. His jacket remained draped on his shoulder without flying off even while he was riding a horse due to the sheer magnetism of his charisma and bronzed physique.
whitherNov 7, 2021 1:09 PM
Jan 10, 2022 3:04 AM

Aug 2020
Bruh, did the mum just watch Kun hit his sister with a train, and she didn't even try to stop him. Good parenting.

The moral of the story, don't get kids. Yeah, just kidding.

I didn't like Kun's sub, so I change to dub. Dub wasn't that special.

I found this series rather boring. I enjoyed the first 20 minutes but got bored later on. Was on my phone the majority of the time. Its expected, since its demography is towards children. Because of it, this movie gets an average, 5/10.

DO NOT Cʟɪᴄᴋ Tʜᴇ Lɪɴᴋ Bᴇʟᴏᴡ:
👉 ʜᴛᴘs://ᴍʏᴀɴɪᴍᴇʟɪsᴛ.ɴᴇᴛ/ᴅᴏ-ɴᴏᴛ-ᴄʟɪᴄᴋ-ᴛʜɪᴤ-ʟɪɴᴋ 👈

Jan 22, 2022 7:46 PM

Aug 2020
what a magical film. Great movie

» [The World's Continuation【世界のつづき】- UTA/Ado ♪] «
0:00 〇────── 4:55
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

Come and Join us!
Evil Club ψ
FuwaFuwa Sanctuary ✿
✿ DeaD Blossoms ✿
May 25, 2022 5:58 AM

Jun 2017
Nothing really special about the movie. The story was just so-so. The animation is impressive though, but I would never recommend this to anyone!

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Nov 26, 2022 9:40 AM
Jun 2022
I've watched this. This is a great stuff i think. Specially for slice of life & adventure lovers like me. Idk why there's some people hate this. Are u expecting something boombastic? Idk. But that's ur rights to rate things.

I'm not a movie freaks, so i don't have some high standards & expectations while watching movies n series. Simply i just want to entertain myself. For me, as long as the synopsis is interesting, i'm gonna give it a shot. Including this ani-movie. I'm gonna memorize if it was great, and simply forget if it wasn't good.

I can relate Kun-chan's character, despite i'm the only child in my family. Maybe i'm gonna act like that if i have younger siblings. But Kun-chan got a bunch of lessons through time travel (n btw this is my best anime-time travel experience). Overall, i'm satisfied.

I give "Mirai no Mirai" 8/10. ⭐

And i'm kinda surprised enough that Gen Hoshino took a role here. I knew him & his songs few months before he goes viral with his "Comedy" in SxF. I think he's also good as a Seiyuu.
Feb 25, 2023 1:53 PM
Dec 2022
It was simply beautiful....
Mar 5, 2023 4:25 AM
Mar 2023
i absolutley love it ,and the characters are amazing !
May 9, 2023 1:26 AM

Mar 2023
This fucking sucked tbh.
May 16, 2023 6:35 AM

May 2020
Such a wholesome movie about young family. Man i freakin love how the characters interact with each other.

I couldn't stop smiling while watching. Stellar animation, beautiful visuals, heart warming story, great characters, all working together to create this great movie!

This is the second hosoda mamoru film i watched after summer wars and i was really surprised to hear the same singer did the credit song again. Both songs are amazing! I'm looking forward to see his other films.
┏────────┓
WHY
Is HoneyComeBear so Underrated?

─────────
┗─────────┛
May 28, 2023 3:20 PM

Feb 2016
As someone who has worked with kids for almost a decade, to some extent Kun did act his age. (I felt some of his lines were way too detailed for a 4 year old, like others have mentioned here.) My main issue was with the parents, more specifically the mom. I don't know if the dialogue was changed much for the dub, but she was practically insufferable. All she did was complain while the dad struggled to do everything. And then at the end of the movie, she was like "I'm a good mom, right?" No. You're really not. I've worked with enough parents to spot someone who isn't mature enough to nurture a child. I think I would have enjoyed this movie more if the parents were written better, because their shortcomings really injured my take on this movie, rather than leaving me feeling endearment towards them.
Jun 8, 2023 4:56 AM
Jul 2018
I rewatched this movie last month and it was really spot on, especially the scene where the kids cry, then the dog howls too and the parents are just giving up lol. Yeah have been there.
Jun 25, 2023 12:19 AM
Jul 2020
This movie was really good. It perfectly gets the day to day challenges and imperfection of parenthood and was also one of the most accurate and one of the cutest depictions of a toddler I've seen in anything animated. I loved seeing Kun go through these little milestones in his development and I enjoyed how the fantasy aspect meshed so well with the grounded stuff and made these normal challenges into something very exciting.
Oct 8, 2023 5:07 PM
May 2020
it was good! =^● ⋏ ●^=
Jun 7, 5:16 PM

Jul 2012
Another boring anime, skiiipp..

Oct 12, 12:51 PM

Jun 2017
dad looks and has experiences to that of a doormat and it's a no wonder the eldest turned out to be bratty coz the one who should do the parenting feared confronting the child's tantrums.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Mirai got Nominated in Golden Globes but not Your Name even in Oscars?

KotoriMinami - Jan 9, 2019

10 by Kuroidensha »»
Aug 16, 2020 12:05 AM

» Have Mirai of the Future come out? HELP ME PLEASE

secretmoonlight - Nov 10, 2018

8 by tsaavik »»
Jun 7, 2020 7:37 AM

» Nominated for Best Animated Feature at the 91st Academy Awards

Electrowanderer - Jan 22, 2019

14 by mushroomcloud »»
Apr 20, 2019 9:38 AM

» Mirai nimnated for Golden Globe...

DonTrumpolino - Dec 7, 2018

12 by DonTrumpolino »»
Jan 5, 2019 3:54 PM

» BD release?

Kamiyan3991 - Nov 9, 2018

3 by arsonal »»
Nov 23, 2018 9:36 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.