Forum Settings
Forums

Do you want Hollywood to adapt more anime and manga?

New
Do you think that Hollywood should adapt more anime and manga?
May 18, 2021 8:43 AM
Jul 2020
Just moments ago I finished watching the Netflix adaptation of Death Note. To be honest, my expectations were not high keeping in mind the previous track record. But even these expectations proved to be to high. The film is a disgrace to the original source material and they completely butchered the character of Light. The film made me think about whether Hollywood should stop adaptating manga and anime. Hollywood, as you guys and gals may already know, is now looking towards anime and manga in order to to obtain its next big cash cow (now that comicbook movies are finally getting stale). To be honest, news of such adaptations strike fear in my heart. Films like Ghost in the Shell has already proven that money is not a problem. Things like cancel culture and SJWs are also a problem. In Hollywood, nowadays, movies are increasingly being made to fit a certain political narrative and this is something the Japanese authors and mangakas hate. The news about Netflix making an adaptation of Gundam is also heart rending. However, the biggest problem is that Hollywood is still looking for a way to adapt Naruto for the big screen. As if one Boruto was not enough. So what do you guys and gals think? Should Hollywood adapt more anime and manga or should they just stop trying?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 18, 2021 8:46 AM

Apr 2020
Yes, but not because I want to watch them but to listen to people complain and shit on them.
May 18, 2021 8:46 AM
May 2020
Please no...not again

Now that One Piece Live action is in production , all i can do is praying xD
One Piece is bad, really
May 18, 2021 8:49 AM
Jul 2020
Kozuki_0den said:
Please no...not again

Kozuki_0den said:
Please no...not again

I agree with you whole heartedly. I hope it at least turns out to be bearable. Heard that Oda is heavily involved in the production.
May 18, 2021 8:50 AM

Mar 2020
Fuck no, and don’t ask that retarded question again ffs
May 18, 2021 8:50 AM

Feb 2020
No thank you very much. Although to be fair, Japan's live-actions aren't exactly great either, especially their plastic-looking CGI. Bleach was an exception.
May 18, 2021 8:52 AM

Apr 2020
Of course not, we all know that most of the live action movies suck.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 18, 2021 8:58 AM

Jun 2016
Apart from one good (edge of tomorrow) and one average (speed racer) adaptation their track record is bad. They are better off doing anime inspired films like the matrix or pacific rim. Those worked out really well.
Otakughosh said:
The news about Netflix making an adaptation of Gundam is also heart rending.

I hope it's G Saviour 2.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
May 18, 2021 9:01 AM
Jul 2020
Theo1899 said:
Apart from one good (edge of tomorrow) and one average (speed racer) adaptation their track record is bad. They are better off doing anime inspired films like the matrix or pacific rim. Those worked out really well.
Otakughosh said:
The news about Netflix making an adaptation of Gundam is also heart rending.

I hope it's G Saviour 2.

Alita Battle Angel was also OK I guess. And Detective Pikachu, although it's is a game first of all. But anyways, I think you get my point.
May 18, 2021 9:04 AM

Mar 2018
Hollywood can go fuck itself. They’re consistently horrible at adopting anime. They have their hands full making a decent non anime movie - they should probably nail that down first
May 18, 2021 9:07 AM
Jul 2020
MichaelGracio said:
I mean, Alita worked perfectly, so if they know what they're doing, I wouldn't mind one bit.

If anything, it can't get any worse than Dragonball: Evolution.

Not a big Dragon Ball fan but I wish that film didn't exist.
May 18, 2021 9:11 AM

Dec 2020
Oh look another thread of angry weebs trashing the evil evil Hollywood
May 18, 2021 9:12 AM
Jul 2018
I don't see the issue with them trying. Maybe one day someone will pull off a decent live action adaption
May 18, 2021 9:12 AM
Jul 2020
CLADDAN said:
Oh look another thread of angry weebs trashing the evil evil Hollywood

I prefer to call myself an Otaku.๐Ÿ˜…
May 18, 2021 9:14 AM
Jul 2020
ErwinTaichou said:
I don't see the issue with them trying. Maybe one day someone will pull off a decent live action adaption

They can try. But the fans will be tortured as the road towards redemption is a tough one.
May 18, 2021 9:17 AM

Mar 2017
Hell no. Their excessive use of nudity and swearing would kill everything. It's one of the main reasons why I dislike most of Western Media . I mean just look at the Original English Dub of Yakuza 1. The needless swearing and replacing the word girl with bitch.. ugh cringe
May 18, 2021 9:18 AM

Mar 2021
If they have competent people working on it who also happen to be fans of the anime/manga, it probably wouldn't be terrible. But most of the time, these companies don't care about source material, they just want money

May 18, 2021 9:21 AM

Oct 2017
Nope never, I want them to stay away from anime.
May 18, 2021 9:23 AM
Jul 2020
munchiedonut said:
If they have competent people working on it who also happen to be fans of the anime/manga, it probably wouldn't be terrible. But most of the time, these companies don't care about source material, they just want money

I completely agree. I mean nowadays, most production companies are dreaming the "MCU Dream"
May 18, 2021 9:29 AM

Jul 2020
01Sharjeel said:
Hell no. Their excessive use of nudity and swearing would kill everything. It's one of the main reasons why I dislike most of Western Media . I mean just look at the Original English Dub of Yakuza 1. The needless swearing and replacing the word girl with bitch.. ugh cringe

agree, i think the cultural gap between japan and america will be a very hard job to do when adapting anime/manga. maybe they need try to adapting the series that have less japanese culture (like vinland saga).
~This is not a SIGNATURE and English is not my main language, so I'm sorry~
May 18, 2021 9:31 AM

Jul 2019
No, the Westerns should stay out of Japanese entertainment. They just ruin it and lessen the value in anime/manga
May 18, 2021 9:35 AM

Nov 2016
Alita has shown that they can do a good enough job as long as they put the right people behind that are both motivated and respect the source material they are handling, now finding those people might be the tricky part.
May 18, 2021 9:53 AM

Aug 2018
I think it is fine, only if they truly understand the source material, and are able to respect it.

In an ideal world, it would be great if the team in charge of the film making was a fan of the source but this doesn't seem to be the majority of the case. However, this can be argued not only in Hollywood but for some of the Japanese live action adaptation too. For example, the 2017 take of Fullmetal Alchemist, was to say at the very least, terrible in design, story and everything else, but this is my opinion.

Honestly, I don't think Hollywood adaptations are necessary. These days, anime is quite popular, and people are generally happy to view the original source, no matter how old it is. It is a shame if Hollywood adapts anime and manga badly, and people would only watch it as a parody *cough* Dragonball Evolution *cough*. This could potentially add to the image that anime and manga is simply a joke, and not a strong source of entertainment and more.
May 18, 2021 9:56 AM

Mar 2018
MichaelGracio said:

If anything, it can't get any worse than Dragonball: Evolution.

The worst part about it (and the other bad adaptations like death note, etc) is that they’re still done professionally. It’s still made with professional actors, writers, production etc, and even though those things are all done poorly, it’s just professional enough so it can’t be enjoyed as a “so-bad-it’s-good” film in a Neil Breen/Tommy Wiseau way
May 18, 2021 2:14 PM
News Team
Demon Spawn

Apr 2017
I think certain manga could be great as live-action adaptations. Both Hollywood and Japan just need to understand that not everything can work in live-action. Stuff like AOT, which Japan already tried in live-action, just can't really be done without looking ridiculous because of the titans' faces and body shapes.

But something like Alice in Borderland was, imo, done so well in live-action. They took an otherwise edgy plot and actually made me give a shit about the characters. It didn't involve heavy CG and had a story that used real people in an otherwise real setting so nothing looked super fake. Plus the camera quality was superb which was not what I was expecting
May 18, 2021 2:22 PM
Jul 2018
The most entertaining thing Hollywood could ever do is explode in flames.
May 18, 2021 2:23 PM

May 2015
Good God no. The absolute last thing anime needs is Hollywood getting their mitts on anything
May 18, 2021 2:32 PM

Mar 2020
Yes, anime that doesn't require a lot of CG or action scenes can be adapted fairly well, I think.

Alita was great, Alice in Borderland was also good, I think they should adapt series that are more "mature" instead of trying to bank on huge animated franchises like AoT or Naruto or whatever.

A hollywood adaptation for something like Steins;Gate can't be too bad, or something like 3-gatsu no Lion, Koe no Katachi, or Kimi no Na wa, series that rely more on human interaction than complicated action sequences. Of course, it depends on what kind of motivation to make it is there. And how good they want to make it.

Winter Sonata anime was a good adaptation of a really good live action series, so it definitely can be done. Just needs to be dedicated to a good adaptation and faithful adaptation, instead of "this is popular haha".

Ghost in the Shell 2017 was a terrible movie, because it got rid of everything that made the original so good, and just took random parts from SAC series and mixed it all together into a shitty plot. Not because of sjw reasons or PC culture. It's like how Redo of a Healer was an awfully written story and people only focussed on the "rape" part.
May 18, 2021 4:54 PM

Jul 2020
No for obvious reasons. I think Japan is the only reputable place where anime and manga should be executed. Nobody does cinema better than Hollywood has. Let Hollywood stay in its own realm. They don't need to leech off of other forms of media.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 18, 2021 5:38 PM

Aug 2020
nooo thank you, nonononononono!

i feel like hollywood would ruin it, you know?

however, if BOLLYWOOD made adaptations of anime and manga... i'd definitely watch c:
May 18, 2021 5:48 PM

Oct 2017
Not really even if it's adapted well I just can't see why I would watch that version versus just re-watching the original anime. Unlike a book to film or manga to anime adaption there is no inherent benefit to converting animated works to live action.
May 18, 2021 5:52 PM
Jan 2012
Yes, because getting drunk and watching Hollywood adaptations of anime and manga with the boys is an absolute fun time.

On the real though, I'm not against Western adaptations, but I'm against the way Hollywood adapts them. If someone outside of Hollywood, like a youtuber or an indie studio, decided to adapt anime or manga then I wouldn't immediately groan and have low expectations, I'd give it a chance. Hollywood adaptations are made for the same reason soulless remakes are made, to cash in on a franchise that already has a fanbase that's probably gonna watch the movie no matter how shitty, while spending as little time possible making the movie good. You can also add streaming service adaptations to my shit list alongside Hollywood adaptations, for obvious reasons.

Edit: I should clarify, I am specifically talking about Western adaptations when it comes to streaming service adaptations, Alice in Borderland was a great live action adaptation, but it's staff is Japanese and it was in no way Westernized. No idea what Netflix's involvement with it was, but just to be sure, I wanna note I'm not shitting on it specifically. People should watch it, it's good.
May 18, 2021 6:08 PM

Jul 2020
Only if they do it like alita. If they go dragon ball evolution then hell no.
May 18, 2021 6:15 PM

May 2021
That's a horrible idea, no. Not to mention it's a transition to a completely different aesthetics, I don't enjoy looking at live actors as much as I do at anime characters (if I like the art style, of course).
May 18, 2021 6:53 PM
Jul 2020
venxiao said:
nooo thank you, nonononononono!

i feel like hollywood would ruin it, you know?

however, if BOLLYWOOD made adaptations of anime and manga... i'd definitely watch c:

Bollywood? I guess it can happen. Bollywood is nowadays crazy about adapting South Korean movies. Take for example Salman Khan's latest release Gadhe,which is a poorly executed version of the South Korean film Outlaws. Thus, BOLLYWOOD might just turn to Japanese media for its next big hit.
May 18, 2021 7:09 PM

Mar 2019
Of course not.

30 characters limit.

I play BanG Dream! Girls Band Party

Garupa EN ID: 10759829
Garupa JP ID: 36753163
May 18, 2021 7:11 PM
Feb 2018
If they do it like Alita, I'm all in. That movie was great and it didn't try to rush things, just follow the manga and add or change little things here and there.
There's also stuff that shouldn't have live action like Attack on Titan. They want to capitalize on its popularity but the unrealistic and exaggerated movements of the 3D Maneuver Gear and the titans themselves would look really off and stupid in a realistic setting.
May 18, 2021 7:14 PM
โ™ก( โ€ขเฅขโ—ก-เฅข)โœงห–ยฐ โ™ก

Dec 2014
No need as I wont be watching them anyway, not interested at all of live adaptation of an anime.

(ใฃโ—”โ—กโ—”)ใฃ ๐“˜ ๐”€๐“ฒ๐“ผ๐“ฑ ๐”‚๐“ธ๐“พ ๐“ช๐“ต๐“ต ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฟ๐“ฎ ๐“ช ๐”€๐“ธ๐“ท๐“ญ๐“ฎ๐“ป๐“ฏ๐“พ๐“ต ๐“ญ๐“ช๐”‚ ♥
May 18, 2021 8:19 PM

Jan 2020
Not really. It could potentially increase the popularity of the anime but if they fail, then it could leave a scar

May 18, 2021 8:23 PM
Jul 2018
Yes, as long as it's still enjoyable.
May 18, 2021 11:55 PM
Aug 2018
if they can do it properly, sure why not.
May 18, 2021 11:59 PM

Feb 2021
No, I don't want another Tragedy to occur ever again.

(This is how Hollywood insults a Legendary Anime Series)
May 19, 2021 12:00 AM

Jul 2020
Kozuki_0den said:
Please no...not again

Oh F.
The Cgi where Luffy will stretch his arms is gonna be so cringe.I hope it gets Pirates of a carribean type adaptation.
ManWild said:
Not really. It could potentially increase the popularity of the anime but if they fail, then it could leave a scar

Death note failed heavily but it didn't affect the popularity.

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
May 19, 2021 12:03 AM

Oct 2014
Netflix Death Note was rough. I still remember sitting in the movie theater watching the Ghost in the Shell live-action and thinking "Why am I here" and eventually falling asleep.

No, I don't want anymore. Don't wanna see more of my favorite anime get watered down and butchered into mediocrity. The upcoming Cowboy Bebop live-action worries me.
May 19, 2021 12:08 AM

Jul 2020
Nooooooo please, Hollywood just keep doing whatever you're doing, don't even touch manga or anime.
May 19, 2021 12:09 AM

Dec 2016
I wouldn't trust Hollywood to adapt anything. Not even old Hollywood movies. Hollywood isn't Netflix though. I will whine when a Netflix production has a 100+ million production budget.
May 19, 2021 12:15 AM

May 2018
"Do you want Hollywood to adapt more anime and manga?"

Nope, Hollywood simply doesn't get a lot aspects of anime. Or maybe it gets them but can't convey them back to the viewer...maybe because it doesn't respect its viewers to begin with. It always gives them some dumbed down version of the main idea.
May 19, 2021 12:18 AM
Jul 2018
no I never want hollywood to adapt and ruin any anime/manga
May 19, 2021 8:07 AM

Jan 2020
Scordolo said:

ManWild said:

Death note failed heavily but it didn't affect the popularity.

oh yeah, I forgot about that. I guess that's a positive then

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 )

Old_School_Akira - Yesterday

78 by 23feanor »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Would you sacrifice the rest of your life if you could spend one year with your favorite character? ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Jun 3

71 by Shizuna »»
4 minutes ago

» Old OVAs

JoeChip - 2 hours ago

9 by Lucifrost »»
5 minutes ago

» Who is your first and second favorite Jujutsu Kaisen character and why?

Inner_Dragon - 2 hours ago

10 by APolygons2 »»
8 minutes ago

» What is the greatest disguise ever?

SgtBateMan - 7 hours ago

11 by MinakoBestGirl »»
21 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.