Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bottom-Tier Character Tomozaki (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 29, 2021 4:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Welp, the social life experience continues. This is like the story of a life coach and its student. Plus, I did find the character chemistry between Tomozaki and Yuzu to be rather entertaining. I wonder how much Yuzu appreciates Tomozaki's presence. I love how they close they reference Super Smash Ultimate as even the training stage looks the same.

One thing for sure is that Yuzu is a kind girl, one that seems to get along well with others including Tomozaki.

Quite a busy day for Tomozaki though. I also hope we get to see more of Erika Konno this season as she displays a rather cool personality.
Stark700Jan 29, 2021 4:37 AM
Jan 29, 2021 4:45 AM

Apr 2020
Tomozaki can't forgive anyone who makes a fool of his favorite game. I wondered if romantic comedy would start with Kikuchi or Izumi, but the youth drama started.

Erika is kinda annoying.
Jan 29, 2021 5:02 AM
Jun 2020
This episode concludes the adaptation of volume 1. There's a little bit of dialogue that was changed:
When Izumi asked Tomozaki to teach her Atafami, she invited him to her house. In the novel, Izumi asked him to teach her Atafami in his house, but then Tomozaki suggested that they do it at her house instead. The reason is, Tomozaki's little sister is Izumi's junior in the Badminton club. She didn't connect at first but then realized that "Zakki" from 1st year in her club is actually Tomozaki's sister (of course since they're so different in personality).

I really like Sato Gen's voice acting here, especially when he enthusiastically talked about Atafami. It sounds just like his normal voice (if you've been listening to Tomozaki's radio show, you'll know it). The talk between Izumi and Tomozaki about "character" and whether if it's too late to change it was nice. It's one of few things that really resonated with me when reading first volume. You can change and improve your character if you put efforts in it (I've seen it firsthand to my friend in HS too, he was totally introverted in middle school but became more extroverted in high school).

Nakamura also showed a character development here, he didn't blame the game again and refused to change his character. He also practiced a lot that even surprised Tomozaki and it was really respectable. Too bad that Erika interrupted with the stereotypical "queen bee" attitude. Well, we won't see Erika often in the anime, but later in LN (after the anime end), she will come out again in volume 4-5, so if you're intrigued about what would happen after the anime you can check the english translation.

As for Tomozaki's speech, I think it was a great performance by Sato Gen. I like how he nailed Tomozaki's break down during the speech and how he lets out all the truth and what he's been thinking.
I agree with him, it's not fair to make fun of people who puts all their effort into something, especially if the person who mocked them is not even trying. I know his speech is not easy to listen to, but considering Tomozaki is originally an awkward guy who didn't know how to communicate, it was realistic. (FYI Sato Gen is completely the opposite of Tomozaki in real life, he has always been cheerful and energetic, and he even became the student council president during High School).

Also, another thing that makes me love the series is how Tomozaki's approach toward people, especially to Kikuchi. Instead of using Hinami's tactics, he chose to told her the truth. He chose the sincere/genuine path. Good for him for using the tickets to invite Hinami too (although got shot down lol).

All in all, Tomozaki's volume 1 adaptation was thorny at the beginning, but gradually improved a lot and that's what I felt about the book too. Volume 1 might not be the ideal beginning, but looking back after reading up to volume 8.5, it's definitely getting better (you might argue that volume 1 is the weakest volume). Now I can't wait to see the adaptation of volume 2, since this volume is what truly made me fall in love with the series. Also, Mizusawa will appear quite a lot too since this volume, so for Nobunaga Shimazaki's fan I think you're going to love his character.
Jan 29, 2021 5:18 AM

Jul 2017
The whole teaching and training of Yuzu, it's very detailed and through, great explanations and teaching from Tomozaki, and Yuzu also didn't take it for granted and tried her best on the training and mastered it in such short time. The method using broken stopwatch is quite clever, I like it. Actually something can be mimicked irl.

Glad to see how much Nakamura has grown mentally, a great character development, no longer blaming his character for his loses, and he actually going for a long training before actually re-challenged Tomozaki. Even tho he keeps losing he still tried his best there. He becoming a solid rival of the series.

That girl Erika is so annoying, degrading everything she sees as not cool. Keep using "Creepy" like a lil b. Should've appreciate Nakamura's determination and hard work. Well it made sense tho that it's revealed she only goes after him because he is the most popular. Glad to see Tomozaki and Yuzu put her in her place.

Really liked all the character developments in this single eps. Tomozaki, Yuzu, and Nakamura are all better than they were in all the previous eps.

P.s. : Super Smash Bros is truly a God-tier game. Thanks Tomozaki for spitting facts.
Jan 29, 2021 5:25 AM

Sep 2019
Almost every character is annoying. They managed to make me, someone who doesn't care about a character's personality as long as they're cute, get annoyed by a character who's really cute. Even though I didn't like the shouting scene at all, Tomozaki's VA's performance was great.

KIMOI KIMOI KIMOI
Jan 29, 2021 5:28 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
As if someone like Tomozaki would dare to talk like that to a bully. Ultimate otaku self insert "don't bash my favorite videogame you normie princess!". I wish they would do this more subtly.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 29, 2021 5:53 AM

Jul 2020
their relationship is starting to develop. <3
and that dude can't really accept his loss that makes it more uncomfortable.

Just don't shout man it's just a video game lol
Jan 29, 2021 5:54 AM

Jul 2017
Stage 2 of Tomozaki-kun's talk: Izumi, with the former teaching the latter about Smash Bros. in the otaku setting, I just can't literally for the life, watch and believe an adaptation of Nintendo's god-tier game on the small screen.

It's easy to relate to Tomozaki-kun when he switches to full otaku mode, and being a NEET before Hinami changed his life around, 180 degrees. The amount of input from Tomozaki is slwoly starting to pay off.

At long last, the fated battle between Nakamura and Tomozaki through Smash Bros., and it's already a one-sided thrashing of a battle from the start. For the battle between the both of them to expose the falsehood of Erika's rant against Nakamura, and Tomozaki standing for the loser in outburst, WOW did his VA nailed that 2-3 minute verbal complaint.

Is Tomozaki totally aiming for Hinami now?

The best episode by a long shot.
Jan 29, 2021 6:04 AM

Nov 2016
Not letting yourself be slowed down by others. Tomozaki's mindset ain't that bad, he just should've directed that energy somewhere else where he could've met people similar to him. Playing Tackfam just seems like an excuse for escapism. Well anyway, he eventually met Hinami. Her being pushy apparently paid off. Great development for Tomozaki. He acknowledged that life is good after all if you put in the effort, had a moment there with Yuzu and an honest conversation with Fuka. Even asked out Hinami. Talk about leveling up.

That outburst was a bit too much,but funny and that bitch Erika had it coming.

Enjoyed this episode, even tho it feels like the story is moving fast.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 29, 2021 6:12 AM
Jun 2020
i hate this erika bitch she reminds me totally of miura from oregairu blond long haired bitch she acts like a alpha female like a hyena that reminds me of a bitch back in my class hate girls like her

and my boy tomozaki told her off that was the best part of this episode
Jan 29, 2021 6:18 AM

Jul 2020
Damn, I can't stand characters like Erika at ALL. Thank God Tomozaki stood up and defended his "God-tier game". Still don't like Nakamura as a character but maybe in the next episodes he'll be further fleshed out and turn out more likable. Maybe even become friends with Tomozaki? I'm not really sure. Last part with Hinami was cute though ngl.

I accept random friend requests!
Jan 29, 2021 6:37 AM

Oct 2017
That was a smooth way to ask Hinami in a date, looking forward to it.

Also I dunno why but Tomozaki's speech felt kinda cringe to me but that bitch had it coming so it was fun to see her get roasted and Izumi landed the final blow.
Jan 29, 2021 6:52 AM
Apr 2019
I dunno, but Tomozaki's speech was kinda cringe though it was understandable in that situation. I don't really Erika, she sounds like someone who tries to be alpha. I can't really stand b*tchy characters like her: She reminds me of Miyabi from GTO, but Erika is a lighter one than that b*tch.
Jan 29, 2021 7:09 AM

Aug 2014
Not gonna lie, I cringe a lot while watching this anime. But surprisingly enough, I still like it. Seems more a bit more real than the usual awkward character suddenly turning into a chad and it is actually fun to watch. Him going off on that blonde girl while using cringe words but actually having a point was good to watch tho. I guess he is getting some character development.

"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Jan 29, 2021 7:20 AM
Jan 2021
Great episode! Really liked the speech at the end. Cannot wait for more.
Jan 29, 2021 7:33 AM

Aug 2018
This is really good. I'm actually rooting for everyone involved. Invested.

Thought for sure the show was on a glide path to a reality check for Hinami that her priorities in life aren't all they cracked up to be, but this episode kind of put that on the back burner.
Away from the things of man, my love, away from the things of man.
Jan 29, 2021 7:35 AM

Jan 2013
its nice that our boy snapped like that but...it got kinda cringe lol
Jan 29, 2021 7:40 AM
Jul 2018
Waiting for the romantic comedy :(
Jan 29, 2021 7:43 AM

Jun 2019
Tomozaki finally started to open up more and more which is a good thing for his goal as well. Kikuchi is a cute girl. Maybe he'll ask her on a date in the next episode.
Jan 29, 2021 7:44 AM

Jan 2020
This ep was much better then last ep. I think this anime just keep get better
U-Y-P-W-O-C-U-T-I-K-A-T-I-P-M-I-N-I-I-D-I-H-I-W-T-S-T-I-W-S-T-O-M-P-T-I-L-U-C-H-N-I-D-T-I-I-Y-I-M-N-O-W-S-T-S-W-N-I-B-W
Jan 29, 2021 8:02 AM

Dec 2014
Great episode and I loved the part with Tomozaki teaching Yuzu a lot, I think she might be my favorite along with Hinami for now.

Everyday Tomozaki ranking up his Harem Protagonist skill. xD

I really liked it when Tomozaki stood up for Nakamura and the game, I didn't like Erika either, way too much haughty attitude. Nakamura is shaping up to be a decent guy too, stopped making excuses and just kept trying.
Jan 29, 2021 8:10 AM

Oct 2008
hmmmmm...well it was okay for me...
at least our gloomy MC snapped and made a huge RANT against that bitch. a +1 thumbs-up for me...at least...
4/5.

Jan 29, 2021 8:13 AM

Mar 2012
Tomozaki defending the game was kinda cringy to watch but then again the girl going kimo~ every 2 seconds is even more annoying.
Jan 29, 2021 8:14 AM

Aug 2018
Cute Hinami is best Hinami BTW.

Her character design is on point.

Away from the things of man, my love, away from the things of man.
Jan 29, 2021 8:27 AM

Aug 2013
Tomozaki's rant against that girl called Erika was cringe but at least he stood up for Nakamura.

Hinami at the end there was cute.

Jan 29, 2021 8:38 AM

Feb 2019
I’m so proud of my boy Tomozaki! Dude has come so far after only a few episodes and people had the nerve to write him off after 2 episodes lol. Heaven forbid a character have to actually grow and develop.

Just the fact that he was able to stand up to Konno on behalf of Shuji proves that he’s grown leaps and bounds since we first met him. Then him asking Hinami out to the movies, taking initiative, etc.

Great episode, gonna get the LN next week I guess.
Jan 29, 2021 8:49 AM
Jun 2020
Farabeuf said:
As if someone like Tomozaki would dare to talk like that to a bully. Ultimate otaku self insert "don't bash my favorite videogame you normie princess!". I wish they would do this more subtly.

bro, did you speedwatch it or something? he did talk back to Nakamura in first scene of the first episode, telling him to stop blaming the game. Also with his new self improvement training it's not impossible for him to talk back to other people, even if it was uncontrolled and might bites him back in the ass.

Marinate1016 said:
I’m so proud of my boy Tomozaki! Dude has come so far after only a few episodes and people had the nerve to write him off after 2 episodes lol. Heaven forbid a character have to actually grow and develop.

Just the fact that he was able to stand up to Konno on behalf of Shuji proves that he’s grown leaps and bounds since we first met him. Then him asking Hinami out to the movies, taking initiative, etc.

Great episode, gonna get the LN next week I guess.

True. People just want self-insert escapist protagonists nowadays, so they backed off when the protagonist is put on difficult situation, they just want to escape to their own fantasy and bitching about how Tomozaki is boring, blah blah. Like, the majority of it is projecting, they're not interesting on their own, so they have to seek out something something quirky in the protagonist so they can self-insert. It's sad.

But just like you say, some people don't like the character grow, they want this "instant" quirky from the start protagonist so they can self insert to and escape from their own reality for a while.
AgehaYoruJan 29, 2021 8:53 AM
Jan 29, 2021 9:11 AM
Jun 2017
Never underestimate someones effort. We all have our own likes and hobbies so we must not belittle those things other likes
Jan 29, 2021 9:30 AM

Mar 2020
Tomozaki's speech was Ok. He repeated the same thing quite a few times.

If someone was trash talking Tackfam before he got help from Hinami he'd probably mumble his comeback. Tomozaki's transforming.
Jan 29, 2021 9:39 AM
Jun 2020
Izumi is seemed a kind girl as she expresses her true thoughts and try hard to give her better at Atafami game.
Satou's voice acting is ok, if i look forward to tomozaki's characteristics.
And also feel good when tomozaki make things with Kikuchi which he feels right.
In the end, Tomozaki and Yuzu' short comedy scene is 🙂

Jan 29, 2021 9:48 AM

Jul 2013
Pretty interesting episode. The reason why groups of "popular" people are interesting to observe is because of people like Izumi and Hinami and their relationship dynamics with people on the top of the hierarchy, like Erika. I hope we will see more of this in the future and that "creepy" won't be the best she can do because that's too unrealistic.
I find Nanami and Natsubayashi a very interesting addition to the bunch. How will Tomozaki blend in and will he even try? There might be more things Hinami can learn from Tomozaki than she thinks.

Kikuchi is very cute and your standard silent and shy gamer/bookworm/otaku type girl. I'm glad Tomozaki chose to be honest with her and I hope that event will be a good foundation for the advancement of their relationship and that he will treat her with great care.
Noir… It is the name of an ancient fate. Two sisters who watch anime. The peace of the newly born, their black hands protect.
Jan 29, 2021 10:03 AM
Jan 2018
spoken like a true gamer, screaming at women protecting his bro

this used to be a so bad that it's good anime for me from the first episode but as more and more episodes come out I'm unironically enjoying the hell out of it.
Jan 29, 2021 10:11 AM

Apr 2020
We got some Izumi x Tomozaki scenes at the start, and our MC of this game told the truth that he doesn't actually read the book that Fuka relates to him.

Though the real highlight of this episode is Tomozaki playing with Nakamura. And damn our blond boy just gets defeated every damn time, he only managed to counter once and that's just it. That's for a #1 Tackdaam player. Another highlight is Tomozaki standing up for Nakamura, damn the voice acting is so good.

Too bad the execution of that scene got nerfed when Izumi spoke, but she atleast defended our MC and the girls led by the hot Erika Konno left from the scene. Looks like there's the potential friendship right there. In the end, we get to see some moments with Aoi, aww her smile at the end refreshes my soul.
Jan 29, 2021 10:12 AM
Jun 2009
Izumi is my second favorite after Mimimi, her and Tomozaki have a fun rapport.

The outburst scene did feel a bit more unnatural than it did in the light novel. That said, I think it's suppose to come across as cringe-like, Tomozaki is not good at effectively communicating and dealing with awkward social situations at this point.
RiichiroJan 29, 2021 10:52 AM
Jan 29, 2021 10:13 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
Overly dramatic? Kind of, but dang do I love our boy going ham like that defending his favourite game. That’s so true though when people call smash bros dumb or shallow when it’s actually deep and has several layers of skill to learn and get through- also blonde dude I forget his name, is totally me losing against my little bro who keeps winning, and me always wanting another game LOL! Love how they even go through some real smash mechanics like the short hop, invincibility, and attack range, and blaming your character for losing lmao, which is petty because the game is so fine tuned that it’s just about 99% balanced

my biggest complaint with this series until now was that mc-kun is too much of a baby. I take that back now because really it’s a pretty petty nitpick on my part as well as he is progressing fast into not being that way. Plus the way he spikes his opponents after a devastating combo is pretty SATISFYINF just like my little bro does to me :)

NYANPASU
whiskey tango foxtrot

Jan 29, 2021 10:18 AM
Apr 2020
Watching this anime makes me feel cringe, but apart from that there are many moments that make me still very comfortable watching it, so far the development of each character has been good, I hope that in the next episode it will be even more interesting
Jan 29, 2021 10:24 AM
May 2017
The cringe is real in this ep
Jan 29, 2021 10:26 AM

Nov 2017
Kiyotaka696 said:
This ep was much better then last ep. I think this anime just keep get better

Yes u right.
I really like hinami smile. The next waifu maybe?

Jan 29, 2021 10:33 AM

Dec 2015
I can't belive this anime still hasn't had a cease and desist from NINTENDO.

XD
Jan 29, 2021 10:35 AM

Aug 2019
Tomozaki's speech defending the game was very hard to watch.
Jan 29, 2021 11:17 AM
Jan 2019
Tomozaki's speech is ain't that good, that's why this anime doesn't have fast Character Development pls stop being edgy. "the ChaRactEr devELopMenT wAs ToO FasT" being thrown in this anime, look at dat' speech, ain't that fast right?
Jan 29, 2021 11:17 AM
Dec 2017
The speech was so over the top, the idea is fine but the execution was bad. Also the MC pretty much solved all his problems by this point so I guess what comes next is mostly love triangle stuff?
Jan 29, 2021 12:04 PM
May 2019
I know I’m supposed to be inspired by Tomozaki, but he’s literally raging at a girl for having a negative opinion. I couldn’t stop laughing at how stupid THAT scene was. Tomozaki was straight up cringe this episode, and it’s not like he’s as socially awkward as he was in the first two episodes. The show was fine at first, but this episode was a train wreck.
Jan 29, 2021 12:10 PM
Oct 2019
this ep really was sth else, great to see how far mc has come, and great to see how better this anime is becoming better overall, 'cause, god, that first ep was cringy

Tomozaki's VA nailed at that scene too, shouting with that intensity can be difficult

best ep on the series until now, no doubts
Jan 29, 2021 12:29 PM
Dec 2020
That speech was too funny overall good episode.
Jan 29, 2021 1:51 PM

Oct 2015
It was a pretty good episode in my opinion. I surprisingly didn't cringe.
Tomozaki helped Izumi yo get better at Tackfam and it was nice to see them get along. Tomozaki also telling Izumi can always change if she wants to.

Erika was annoying AF, not understanding anything and dissing Nakamura long with the game.

I was happy to see that Tomozaki opened his mouth and said something and also Izumi trying not to fit into the norm anymore like defending Erika.
This is probably the longest thing I have written here ^^
SweetheadJan 29, 2021 1:59 PM
Jan 29, 2021 1:51 PM
Jul 2018

HOOOOLY FUUUUUUUUUUCK THE 2ND HAND CRINGE
Jan 29, 2021 1:52 PM

Apr 2020
School drama

Just school drama video game thing,
(I cringe at this episode SO HARD)
I question myself why I’m still watching this anime, (not like I hate it that much I give it like a 6 so far) it’s just getting cringy, at least for this episode

But I’ll see how this anime gonna end.
Nina supporter for life💕
Jan 29, 2021 2:29 PM
Jul 2018
this was some real cringe... tomozaki snapping was really unexpected and kinda weird
Jan 29, 2021 2:39 PM

Jan 2011
well there is one problem in this anime, they try hard to let us feel that what tomozaki doing is cool but in fact, no one really think that

the author could create a better conversation, you can't feel any depth inside the characters, for example, if you compare tomozaki with Hikigaya from Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatteiru

as both had the same problem with not being social in school, you will find tomozaki trash no depth, someone else controls him
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anyone else disappointed on whom does tomozaki date? (LN SPOILERS)

Elma_fer - Mar 20, 2021

25 by Shubham-gupta »»
Aug 30, 1:43 PM

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jan 22, 2021

124 by vinnywizanime »»
Aug 21, 5:42 AM

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jan 15, 2021

128 by vinnywizanime »»
Aug 20, 6:17 AM

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Jan 8, 2021

245 by vinnywizanime »»
Aug 13, 5:35 AM

Poll: » Jaku-Chara Tomozaki-kun Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2021

186 by iwubanime »»
Jul 31, 10:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.