Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 24, 2019 4:54 AM

Nov 2015
is it just that im easily entertained or is Japanese entertainment just alot better than American entertainment the only anime i thought was bad was squid girl, the rest are just masterpieces in my opinion even bleach which people dont really like i thought it was amazing.before i started workiing ive done a rough estement and ive watched about 7000 episodes of anime that was a couple of years ago though dont really have time to bIINGE watch anime since i work a lot
Dec 24, 2019 4:57 AM
Apr 2016
Okay what is the question? Could you please state it succinct, clear manner?
Re:formed
Dec 24, 2019 5:00 AM

Nov 2015
Daniel_Naumov said:
Okay what is the question? Could you please state it succinct, clear manner?
ITS IN THE TITLE BUDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Dec 24, 2019 5:01 AM

Jan 2009
you are like new to anime though so the novelty might die out once you get sick of how much anime you watch later lol
Dec 24, 2019 5:04 AM

Nov 2015
deg said:
you are like new to anime though so the novelty might die out once you get sick of how much anime you watch later lol
im not though been watching since 2013
Dec 24, 2019 5:06 AM

Jan 2009
2potatosoneguy said:
deg said:
im not though been watching since 2013

sorry i only check your small list stats and did not read before that you have seen 7000 episodes already
Dec 24, 2019 5:13 AM
Apr 2016
I do not understand but since you mentioned they are better than the American entertainment - yes, they are. As to why, it is a complex cultural thing why almost everything Japanese, except politics, is better than the U.S. counterpart.
Re:formed
Dec 24, 2019 7:44 AM
Jul 2018
Japanese people are better than anyone at creating art is the simple answer
Dec 24, 2019 7:49 AM
Aug 2018
What? Lmao. Japanese entertainment and american enterteinment are just different and appeal to different audiences. Both have flaws and strenghts as any medium, but one isn't better than the other. I'll assume this is a bait tho
Dec 24, 2019 9:34 AM
Feb 2017
deg said:

Idk I wouldn’t say I’m new to anime, and I’m enjoying a lot of it.
Dec 24, 2019 10:01 AM
Jul 2018
BlakexEkalb said:
deg said:

Idk I wouldn’t say I’m new to anime, and I’m enjoying a lot of it.

Same, getting tired of your favorite hobby is rather a sign of depression than your hobby actually became shit in many cases.
Dec 24, 2019 10:25 AM

Oct 2014
I'd say you're just a fanboy who likes everything you watch.
Dec 24, 2019 10:40 AM

Sep 2019
Idk fam. I felt that way when i got into anime heavily back in May and i still feel that way. Most shows old or new never really fail as much to impress me. I guess you can say i'm easily entertained and i'm not really as critical as other weebs i suppose.
Dec 24, 2019 10:42 AM

Nov 2019
Daniel_Dreiberg said:
Japan doesn't have sjws (30 charsss)

This is a large factor. American writing is often ruined by focusing on being subversive at the expense of creating interesting stories and characters. Doesn't matter if it's cartoons, athletics, business, scholarship, etc. When political soap boxing becomes central, it has a high tendency to compromise the original mission.
Dec 24, 2019 10:45 AM

Feb 2013
because they perfected the purest of joy that can only come from cute girls doing cute stuff

or superpowered teens solving everything with fighting and/or holding speeches about their feelings, whichever way you swing there is always some nice variety!
Dec 24, 2019 10:46 AM
May 2018
The Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, each one of these series is worth hundreds of anime.
But the opposite is also true. Many animes are worth hundreds of shitty american shows.

All that to say: no, one is not better, it's actually the same, lol.
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.
Dec 24, 2019 11:23 AM

Feb 2018
You know what OP? Despite not feeling the same way as you (took multiple bad anime before I could find a good one to start my anime-watching hobby), I like the spirit and attitude you've got towards the medium. Good on you!
For me personally, I think my main issue in american live-action shows mainly stem from the ever-present conflict having another layer of drama around its plot to complicate things. Thus, they create a interconnected web of plot so as to reassure the audience that the new layer of drama is necessary. This often creates a non-ending for a lot of shows, since some of the plot threads won't ever get proper closure. Anime on the other hand keeps the main conflict somewhat more separate from other drama happening so as to not create a tangled mess of "everything's connected!" if that makes sense. It may be just a me thing but that's one of the reasons I don't like live-action shows as much (though this doesn't apply to movies as often, so I like live-action films a lot more).
Dec 24, 2019 12:04 PM

Jul 2016
2potatosoneguy said:
is it just that im easily entertained or is Japanese entertainment just alot better than American entertainment the only anime i thought was bad was squid girl, the rest are just masterpieces in my opinion even bleach which people dont really like i thought it was amazing.before i started workiing ive done a rough estement and ive watched about 7000 episodes of anime that was a couple of years ago though dont really have time to bIINGE watch anime since i work a lot

I relate to your sentiment OP.But keep in mind that just because you didn't like squid girl doesn't automitically make it bad,it's a really comedy-centered anime so it might just be the case that the anime didn´t align with your type of humour.Even though is a bit of an exaggeration to call everything a masterpiece,i like your enthusiasm,maybe it just comes from your extreme fatigue of American shows.I understand that one must have pretty low standards for what´s good after seeing what western animation has become.Anime is just better in so many ways.
SummerynDec 24, 2019 12:08 PM
Dec 24, 2019 12:06 PM

Dec 2019
Agreed, i am from pakistan and after i started watching a few quality animes this was the same reaction i had.
Japanese joke quality is a little bit better then the western jokes. ( coming from someone whose favorite show is friends )

Even if a question has a proper answer, sometimes one cannot simply give it away.  – Holo 

Dec 24, 2019 12:09 PM
Jan 2019
Well, if you can give both Kabaneri and FranXX a 10 then I can imagine most of the series you come across you would find to be good lol
Dec 24, 2019 12:14 PM

Nov 2007
You are saying something that a newbie would say. Anime is full of trashy rinse wnd repeats. The only medium that is devoid of bad shows is Korean Drama or K-doroma.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Dec 24, 2019 1:26 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah, that's true, I'm usually more entertained by anime than cartoons despite cartoons usually being better presentation-wise. I attribute this to the varying tones anime uses in comparison to a lot of western cartoons and its lack of formulas on an episode by episode basis which makes it easier to binge. For instance, in Phineas and Ferb there are almost constant comedy scenes(i.e ep 129, ep 81, ep 91, etc ) and very few episodes break the set formula(something the show itself calls attention to in those episodes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpx5u1Ua-ZM). Meanwhile, anime like Angel Beats tend to switch between comedy and sad moments(Yui's dreams vs her wrestling the MC in her episode) and the over-arching plot that makes it so the anime can't just repeat the same thing over and over. There are exceptions, Anne, is pretty formulaic and Avatar switches tones, but generally, in my experience, this is true.
I am not in the anime honeymoon phase like you, so it isn't like every show is amazing, but, yeah, generally, I find anime more fun to watch for extending portions of times.

Missaliensan said:
I relate to your sentiment OP.But keep in mind that just because you didn't like squid girl doesn't automitically make it bad,it's a really comedy-centered anime so it might just be the case that the anime didn´t align with your type of humour.Even though is a bit of an exaggeration to call everything a masterpiece,i like your enthusiasm,maybe it just comes from your extreme fatigue of American shows.I understand that one must have pretty low standards for what´s good after seeing what western animation has become.Anime is just better in so many ways.

I don't agree with either statement. Comedy isn't as subjective as people make it out to be imo. People tend to look at a joke they didn't laugh at and go: "well, the subject matter is the problem" when that has little to do with the basic foundations of a joke that make them work as it only talks about concept, not execution. A lot of times what I find to make a joke work is timing and unpredictability. Think of the most common jokes, the famous " the chicken crossed the road to get to the other side" or "if your refrigerator is running you better go catch it". Pretty much no one laughs at those because of how overplayed they are. It's predictable, that is the problem. Unless there's a variation it's very unlikely someone would laugh. Comedy is subjective in the sense of what your personal experience is and what you would expect, but like anything else, there is a reason aside from personal taste why it does or doesn't work. If squid girl didn't make him laugh, then there's probably a good reason for that somewhere.
Western Animation has its own strengths in its presentation, consistency, and simplicity. Casually watching most cartoons on the tv after the breaks is pretty addicting. Cartoons are enjoyable, most just aren't built to be binged since they are budgeted by networks.
removed-userDec 24, 2019 2:22 PM
Dec 24, 2019 1:32 PM
May 2017
Most Japanese is high IQ,
so Japanese can make interesting Animes and Mangas.
but Im low IQ ;;
Dec 24, 2019 1:35 PM

Aug 2016
9.56 mean score. That's a yikes from me dawg.
Dec 24, 2019 1:36 PM

Jun 2012
Those yellow fellows across the pond are on to something I know.
Dec 24, 2019 1:40 PM

Aug 2016
shanimebib said:
You are saying something that a newbie would say. Anime is full of trashy rinse wnd repeats. The only medium that is devoid of bad shows is Korean Drama or K-doroma.
They had us in the first half, not gonna lie.
Dec 24, 2019 2:21 PM
Jun 2019
I haven't seen a single anime I dislike and I have watched a lot of anime compared to some others who consider themselves "veteran" or "experienced" and equivalent. I have never liked a single piece of American entertainment to my awareness.

Anime is simply incomparably better.
Dec 24, 2019 2:24 PM

Oct 2017
I'm not sure if the number of people who put an s on the end of anime is increasing or if I'm just more easily triggered by it but I swear I see it all the time now. Is it meming? Is it supposed to be funny? Or are people genuinely ignorant?
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Dec 24, 2019 2:26 PM
Jul 2018
Now this is some next level weebness, nice
Dec 24, 2019 4:20 PM

Dec 2018
Stop watching shit Western stuffs and then you might find the appeal of Western cinema.
. . .
Dec 24, 2019 4:31 PM

Feb 2018
2potatosoneguy said:

Personally, one of the things that makes Anime good and different from the ''American series'' or any series that is recorded with human beings, is that sometimes not all ideas can be interpreted only with actors and special effects, Anime in that sense has no limits, any idea can have a interpretation depending of the effort and creativity of the workers and the author, and another thing is that emotions are not something that can be done with a simple performance, there are even emotions probably impossible to imitate (i speak from the little knowledge i have of the cinema external to Anime, i'm not insinuating that the external to the anime is bad, but i have enough with Anime, honestly i have never considered getting to see something that is not Anime and i don't think i will do it because everyday i like Anime even more so other type of series are not necessary.)
Dec 24, 2019 6:14 PM

May 2009
2potatosoneguy said:
It's just different, so you and I are both fortunate that we know of anime and know that it (or at least some of it) is something that appeals to our tastes.

I know that I like watching anime more than western stuff because anime has a good supply of fantasy and sci-fi stuff, and also a good lot of this has dramatic plots. Based on your tastes it seems that you're also into some of these more dramatic elements, albeit somewhat different from mine.

(What did you think of Casshern Sins btw? It's on my PTW.)

(Also funny though that the two things you mention are Squid Girl (which I've liked what I've seen of it) and Bleach (which I didn't like what I've seen of it), for which our opinions seem to be opposite lol.)

That said it's not guaranteed that I'll automatically like Japanese entertainment though. Japanese entertainment that I'm not into is also pretty common; I'm not really into manga, or smutty VNs, visual kei, or pachinko, for example.

And when I do like Japanese, the reasons can be rather specific. For example, I tend to prefer Japanese video games because they're (1) more often in genres I like (which isn't always the case either way), and (2) tend to have richer soundtracks. And I tend to prefer Japanese pop music over American pop music because I tend to prefer the chord progressions that are common in J-pop...except I've also found that I actually tend to prefer anison (i.e. anime songs) over more "mainstream" Japanese pop.

(Some people like to make these broad statements like blaming "western influence" or whatever, but I think they miss the point by not realizing that the specifics don't fit their broad statements.)
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Dec 24, 2019 6:29 PM

Aug 2018
Well, mostly of the american stuff is the same boring shit as always, a good looking bad ass genius millionare dude does some cool stuff and gets the chick... and then movie 2 happens, and he does the same and gets a new chick!

But be carefull, there is plently of eastern bs too, you are just too new so you can't tell yet.
Dec 25, 2019 1:46 AM

Jun 2017
OP, only 1 season, just 1 season watch all of airing anime and you automatically will understand not all or even many anime are good
Dec 25, 2019 1:57 AM

Jul 2010
I don't want to be rude, but. How many years have you been watching anime and exactly how many have you watched to come to this conclusion? Your question is purely your opinion, of course. But it smacks of a lack of life experience in this area. Believe me, after watching more than 500 titles, you will understand how wrong this belief is. Bad anime exactly so much same, as and good.
May be some anime?
Dec 25, 2019 5:25 AM

Feb 2019
You probably avoid the trash ones.
Dec 25, 2019 6:22 AM
Jul 2018
Keep your opinions to yourself and you'll enjoy all those trashy series even more
Dec 25, 2019 6:35 AM

Jun 2019
I think you avoided the garbages or you're a true weeb.
Dec 25, 2019 7:30 AM

Aug 2012
Daniel_Dreiberg said:
Japan doesn't have sjws (30 charsss)

Ooh boy, you have absolutely no idea.
Dec 25, 2019 7:50 AM

Jun 2015
Don't ever let people tell you what's bad and what isn't. I also like or at least appreciate most of the stuff I watch. The best way is to just listen to your heart and appreciate things subjectively, rather than follow the opinions of the majority or try and play critic. It'll make your time in this medium way more fun and meaningful, imo

Do I think there's objectively bad stuff out there? Yes, just look at the modern seasonal charts. But I also think that, with all the trashy people whose only objective is to hate things subjectively and sell their opinions as objective criticism, the line gets blurred and the definite best way is to just have your own opinions about everything and not listen to anyone about what you should or shouldn't consume and/or like. No community scores, no reviews.

I would've gotten burned out of this medium many times by now if I'd followed other people, that's for sure.
ShadowMonkeyDec 25, 2019 8:04 AM
Apr 26, 2021 6:08 PM

Dec 2019
Because you have very low standards.
Apr 26, 2021 6:34 PM

May 2014
A few ideas come to my mind...

Storytelling: anime has a wider audience in Japan, it's not intended only to children and young teens; also, there's a lot of collaboration between brands but also physical store, café, etc.; since anime have been adaptating some light novels (actual books even if intended to teen/young adult audience) the stories have been getting better
Art: manga culture is strong; here in France, according to our journalists, we are the 2nd country to buy manga, and we also have a solid culture branch on comics; most anime are original derived from popular manga anyway
Music: depends on the anime, like in the US, you have better and less better bgm/sfx for a show depending on the budget
Culture: japanese people use chinese characters aka kanjis, their language and their way of speaking is much more visual than any other culture in the world
Money: people are ready to pay for anime, manga and merchandise in Japan; most other countries lack sufficient funds to produce quality in a broad scale, which is also why there are so many studios, even small ones over there; somehow it is also linked to cultural influence
Competitiveness: might as well be true to any country or any profession, but japanese animators are very lowly paid so they do put heart in their creation (which is weird since merchandise is actually bought)

I know this is very vague and kind of flying over a lot of things but any of these topics could make a whole article by someone who knows better than me
Apr 26, 2021 8:05 PM

Jan 2020
There are a lot of subpar ones out there lol

Apr 26, 2021 8:07 PM
穂乃果は神

Oct 2015
I agree. Some people have said I'm "easily pleased", but if that means that I find a lot of things to appreciate (especially the small nuances), then I don't care enough to stop finding so many anime good.

Truth is, I'm easy to bore. Despite that, even if I don't enjoy one anime over another, there's always something I like about it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

More topics from this board

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime?

RedTea33 - May 27

46 by phantom346 »»
15 minutes ago

» Favorite English Dub VA and Their Best Performance

Jackof-allspades - Today

16 by Bidoof_PMD-EOS »»
18 minutes ago

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

115 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
28 minutes ago

» Who here has a more Unconventional first ever anime?

TheBlockernator - 4 hours ago

17 by -Kugeki- »»
28 minutes ago

» Who are your favorite canon couples? (Beware of spoilers)

Shizuna - Mar 30

40 by old_geezer »»
34 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.