Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 30, 2019 7:02 PM

Nov 2016
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I was so hyped, but this episode was surely a buzzkill.

Already starting to stretch the shit out of the episodes with filler material in form of recycled flashbacks. Wouldn't surpsrise me if Toei will do the same for all the acquaintances at the Reverie.

Effectively only about 8 pages were adapted here.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 30, 2019 7:29 PM
Jan 2019
meh not that good of an ep, it was mostly recap, but was new and wasn't that bad
nothing_kayoMar 30, 2019 8:42 PM
Mar 30, 2019 7:50 PM

Apr 2014
I did not care much about the recap nostalgia. It just brings back good memories of how good One Piece started off on. X3
Mar 30, 2019 7:51 PM

Jan 2008
FMmatron said:

Already starting to stretch the shit out of the episodes with filler material in form of recycled flashbacks. Wouldn't surpsrise me if Toei will do the same for all the acquaintances at the Reverie.

I too was hyped, but am now disappointed. It looks like each episode will be half recap and half new material. I get that it's really old and they're probably doing this to refresh some people or give background to new viewers, but come on. A line needs to be drawn in the same somewhere. Hopefully it's just this week and next week, but if it's for everyone, I'm going to have to drop the series for a while until they head to the next arc.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Mar 30, 2019 7:58 PM

Sep 2013
I was waiting for this to happen in the anime but it's only 8 pages wtf.
The recap was so unnecessary though I get why they did it but cmon pick it up and reveal it more on the next episode.
Mar 30, 2019 7:59 PM

Nov 2016
kevin_video said:
FMmatron said:

I too was hyped, but am now disappointed. It looks like each episode will be half recap and half new material. I get that it's really old and they're probably doing this to refresh some people or give background to new viewers, but come on. A line needs to be drawn in the same somewhere. Hopefully it's just this week and next week, but if it's for everyone, I'm going to have to drop the series for a while until they head to the next arc.

If that proves to be the case, then it would suck. I mean there are better alternatives. Preferable, a bunch of flashback episodes for the characters who are going to attend the reverie, similar to the ones we had in Enies Lobby for the Straw Hat's. That would basically mean a break for several weeks, but it's surely better than fucking up potentially great episodes.

But I guess they could be afraid that less people would watch One Piece during that time frame.
FMmatronMar 30, 2019 8:03 PM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Mar 30, 2019 8:06 PM

Mar 2016
Yep, a recap after a long-ass arc, just like the old days.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Mar 30, 2019 8:53 PM

Jul 2007
Guys just read this in the manga. Do your self a favor. This was butchered all to hell. I can't believe the studio fucked this moment up so bad. Not only are some of the events out of order, for example luffy recognizing that his bounty went down before we cut to reverie and the reveal of shanks was supposed to be sort of shocking. The anime really didn't encapsulate that at all because the episode began with his reveal.

Check the manga to see how the order of this material should have been represented.
ArtimesGamerMar 30, 2019 9:01 PM

Mar 30, 2019 10:02 PM

Jan 2014
The recap wasn't too bad, but I think the episode would've been better without it, or at least, with a shorter recap. It's not like the recap is technically needed with all the Episode of East Blue/Sorajima plus all of the previous flashback episodes.

I suppose it just seemed to fall flat because the last episode hyped us up so much. I'm hoping that the following episodes don't follow this one's format.

Personally, I was rather hoping that this one would show everyone's reactions to the news, all the acquaintances they met as well as the rest of the crew's that are in Wano. It showed a little, but not that much.
Mar 30, 2019 10:24 PM
Luny Tunes

Feb 2012
link9us said:
Guys just read this in the manga. Do your self a favor. This was butchered all to hell. I can't believe the studio fucked this moment up so bad. Not only are some of the events out of order, for example luffy recognizing that his bounty went down before we cut to reverie and the reveal of shanks was supposed to be sort of shocking. The anime really didn't encapsulate that at all because the episode began with his reveal.

Check the manga to see how the order of this material should have been represented.

kevin_video said:
It looks like each episode will be half recap and half new material.

I'm actually worried that this might become the format of the upcoming episodes of this arc.

I surely hope these recaps won't cover much of the upcoming episodes because if the studio keeps doing this format, then this would become a terrible adaptation of this arc. I'm assuming Toei plans to stretch this out so the Wano arc can begin by July? That won't be cool. A small filler arc before Wano would have been fine but stretching out these next episodes with recaps is totally unacceptable.

They made some slight chances with the OP now that we're entering this arc, and they were alright. Looking at this one part gave me goosebumps.
Mar 30, 2019 10:31 PM

Apr 2016
we'll probably be getting a lot of flashbacks at the beginning of this arc which isn't really surprising at this point
but we did get to see Sanji acquiring his raid suit, Nami's Zeus power-up and Luffy being called Fifth Emperor, which all BIG NEWS!!
this arc is short but also one of my personal favorites in the series, it's going to be awesome once it picks up
Mar 30, 2019 10:57 PM

Mar 2017
it's mostly recap because the anime is catching up to the manga and that I understand.

definitely loved the part when Cavendish and Bartolomeo were interviewed haha, it feels nice to see it being animated 😂 especially the heart heart at Bartolomeo lmao.

It looks like they won't be showing Luffy's new bounty yet haha, I think there's going to be more recaps in the next episode. Probably from the people at Dressrosa.

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Mar 30, 2019 11:40 PM

Jun 2012
They should have put fillers between chapter 903 and 904, not cut 903 in half. -.-"
Mar 31, 2019 12:16 AM

Dec 2013
With the amount of characters returning this arc there's going to be a massive amount of flashbacks...
Mar 31, 2019 12:23 AM

Jul 2007
G_Spark233 said:
With the amount of characters returning this arc there's going to be a massive amount of flashbacks...

As long as they keep them minimal it won't be an issue, but if they pulled what they did with this episode and have like 15 min of material for each god damn character, that will be bull shit.

I mean even oda gave flashback stories for some of the characters re-appearance so i expect flashbacks anyways, but keep them short like a few min and it won't be that big of a deal.

Mar 31, 2019 1:02 AM

May 2018
2/5 just because 80% of the episode was flashback of the very first episodes of OP.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 31, 2019 1:04 AM

Jul 2016
link9us said:
G_Spark233 said:

As long as they keep them minimal it won't be an issue, but if they pulled what they did with this episode and have like 15 min of material for each god damn character, that will be bull shit.

I mean even oda gave flashback stories for some of the characters re-appearance so i expect flashbacks anyways, but keep them short like a few min and it won't be that big of a deal.

I don't mind this for the revierie arc. Will allow the manga to 0ull out further from the anime again so we can not have a snails pace during the bigger arcs.

I would actually like a short filler arc between the reverie and wano as well if possible.
Mar 31, 2019 2:20 AM

Jun 2015
i didn't have a problem with half recap eps but narrative of new material was really bad, in manga luffy thinks that his bounty went down while everyone else's went up and at the end of news article when its reveled that he is the 5th emperor Brook finds out it actually went up.
at this point i think we are gonna see flashbacks of all members that he haven't seen for a while. but i hope they don't fuck up new materials like this episodes.
Mar 31, 2019 2:44 AM

Oct 2015
Vindicater said:

I don't mind this for the revierie arc. Will allow the manga to 0ull out further from the anime again so we can not have a snails pace during the bigger arcs.

I would actually like a short filler arc between the reverie and wano as well if possible.

I'm pretty sure most people want to have a filler arc at this point, but what's going on right now is unacceptable. Which is better? An interesting smaller arc going at an extremely slow pace to get some distance, or putting a filler arc before Reverie, so we can have normal pacing for the smaller arc, too? I wish they had a filler arc before the reverie. Would make much more sense.

I have been looking forward to this episode for like 2-3 weeks because of all the big news, and it turned out to be horribly butchered, leaving the most important part out. If not the following chapters, at least this one should have been adopted without any change, or just smaller changes, because it was epic in the manga.

They should have just put a filler arc here until summer, or longer, I don't care, just don't butcher the series.
Mar 31, 2019 2:58 AM

Mar 2014
with 878 eps, recaps is needed

I loved thos episode and remembered why I love the One Piece anime so Bad!!!
man even the recap it self was way too short... I got surprised that we had so much time to adapt like everything!

every manga fan knows what happenes next, so why won't we enjoy and relax with the best series ever? I mean if recap did nothing to your heart... just read the manga
Mar 31, 2019 3:10 AM

Oct 2018
Usopp8000 said:

man even the recap it self was way too short... I got surprised that we had so much time to adapt like everything!

every manga fan knows what happenes next, so why won't we enjoy and relax with the best series ever? I mean if recap did nothing to your heart... just read the manga

We don’t need any more damn recaps. The anime already has too many flashbacks, recaps, reused scenes, and still shots/screen panning. We don’t need more.

If you want a recap, go on YouTube and watch. They have almost all important and funny scenes.
Mar 31, 2019 3:22 AM
Nov 2015
I don't know why you all are hating this episode. I also want to know, how it goes on, but the recap has done a good job. It brings the old memories back and I had after a long time again goosebumps in One Piece. I loved this episode. After a long time I'm hyped to watch the next episode
Mar 31, 2019 3:22 AM

Dec 2013
link9us said:
G_Spark233 said:

Nah they’ll probably be doing what they did in this episode again repeatedly. Toei loves dragging things out in this series.
Mar 31, 2019 3:29 AM

Sep 2014
What the hell was that recap...thought I'd get used to them by now but damn.
nerfxMar 31, 2019 3:33 AM
Mar 31, 2019 3:39 AM

Sep 2017
If anyone was wondering why Luffy was depressed was because of his bounty went down.
But I wonder if it's true..
AlcaMar 31, 2019 3:50 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 31, 2019 4:12 AM

Nov 2012
MisterGildarts said:
I don't know why you all are hating this episode. I also want to know, how it goes on, but the recap has done a good job. It brings the old memories back and I had after a long time again goosebumps in One Piece. I loved this episode. After a long time I'm hyped to watch the next episode

This is the 5th fucking time we have been shown the Romance Dawn story: episode 4, one in Enies Lobby, Episode of Luffy, Episode of East Blue, and now here. Enough is enough. No one needed this.

Toei has the capacity to hire any decent script writer to make competent filler that flows well. But no they waste animators talents on a half assed remake of a classic scene.

Read Chapter 903 to see how badly this was handled.

And the worst part is the next episodes will pull this shit again. I expect chapters 905 and 906 in particular to be stretched to 3-4 episodes.

Biggest dissapointment in 2019 since World Seeker.
Mar 31, 2019 4:43 AM

Feb 2013
So, we got another small recap of the beginning of his dream.
Apart from that, Sanji could transform in the future if he wanted to, I really want to see that, but haha, they now know he's a Vinsmoke, he was super happy he surpassed Zoro.
Loool, Luffy is the mastermind of everything haha, poor Bege.
Mar 31, 2019 5:00 AM
Dec 2008
Finnally another recap of Luffy/Shanks. I was afraid they'd leave us with onle like 43 of those, luckily they're 44 now. Cant wait for the next recap.
Mar 31, 2019 5:34 AM
EDM ❤

May 2012
I was expecting a slow paced episode but nothing really happened, and the episode "punchline" was it's title.
Personally was one of the arcs i least enjoyed so i'm happy as it can only get better from here.
Mar 31, 2019 6:35 AM

May 2015
Big yikes. What the fuck are you doing, Toei?
Mar 31, 2019 7:18 AM

Oct 2018
I thought here we are discussing about new emperor...but yeah agree with you it studio ruined this.
Mar 31, 2019 7:46 AM

Dec 2014
well this was a filler but not bummed ...we got to see that luffy is the potential 5th emperor nice
Mar 31, 2019 7:46 AM

Aug 2015
so many complaints about the recap its hilarious. it fit there because that was what shank was reminiscing. also there shouldn't be any complaints since the anime is nearing the manga ofc there might be some filler to slow it down.
Mar 31, 2019 9:05 AM
Apr 2011
SuperRed said:

Toei has the capacity to hire any decent script writer to make competent filler that flows well.

I disagree with this comment, I do not think it is easy to make a filler for OP without ODA observing or checking the script if it is not prepared from previous chapters and the reason should be obvious... (and that is the reason I believe they stretch episodes like Luffy!)

But this chapter was pretty odd for me, voicing felt different, seems to not have enough Ommph in it :(
ManiacreatorMar 31, 2019 9:13 AM
Mar 31, 2019 9:30 AM

Oct 2018
Probably only anime watchers gonna hate this arc fuck toei
Mar 31, 2019 10:12 AM

Jul 2008
How many times have the redone the beginning episodes again? 20?
Mar 31, 2019 11:07 AM

Apr 2015
The fuckin' butchered it.I was so hyped to see everyone's reaction animated and they fucked it up with a 13 min, and milked the shit out of few pages for the remaining 8 minutes.
"You are the leaves bathing in the sun, I am the roots that grow in the dark."
Mar 31, 2019 11:21 AM

Jan 2017
from today,,i officially quit one piece anime,,fuck Toei,,they are the worst,,i will be follwoing the Manga!yea i can see that they recreated the scenes of luffys back story and all,,but i feel like the modern animation and grafix just does not suit One Piece!there is like a delay in the animation!!tbh!back in the days the animation was more smoother and soothing!i dont know,,maybe am crazy,, :_: ,,whatever!i dont care about the anime anymore --___--
Mar 31, 2019 1:14 PM

Jul 2007
Usopp8000 said:

I am not sure you really understand the significance of how the studio destroyed this moment. Its not so much the flash backs as it is the material was represented a bit differently in the anime as opposed to the manga. The tension build-up to luffy indicating that his bounty went down is what had manga readers in total disbelief until the massive reveal at the end that reverberates across the sea's which signifies truly that a new emperor has arrised. Not only did they not include the scene that luffy's bounty went down but they also played some of the events out of order as well.

Next episode they may reveal it, but it don't have the same impact being split into two episodes, this really should have only been 1 episode.

Mar 31, 2019 1:14 PM

Mar 2012
I think the voice actor of Shanks is hard to find when demanded. Shanks just stays silent in most episodes that he appears in.
Mar 31, 2019 1:58 PM

Jun 2014
Very disappointing episode.
Cazador75Mar 31, 2019 2:02 PM
Mar 31, 2019 3:07 PM

Nov 2018
Man over half the episode is remake.
Mar 31, 2019 5:10 PM

Jul 2013
A little bit sad that the first half was just a flashback, even if I haven't seen it in a long time. Second half was better. To see all the reaction which will go on in the next episode.

So I guess it's just the people of the newspaper who spread the infortmation with the 5th yonko even if it would be really cool. I'm happy for Sanji. He finally reached an appropriate bounty. But of course there's also a reason why. "Vinsmoke Sanji" hahaha.

I also wonder what's exactly in that can Luffy had in his pocket. Hopefully next episode will be no flashback.

Mar 31, 2019 5:18 PM

Oct 2015
This was a bad episode no matter how you look at it. We have seen that Luffy/Shanks flashback a gazillion times, please stop it already! My word it wasted more than 15 min on just an overrated flash back, I'm disappointed by Toei! The animation lackluster and wasn't consistent at all.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Mar 31, 2019 5:33 PM

Jan 2008
LunyRem said:
link9us said:

kevin_video said:
It looks like each episode will be half recap and half new material.

I'm actually worried that this might become the format of the upcoming episodes of this arc.

I surely hope these recaps won't cover much of the upcoming episodes because if the studio keeps doing this format, then this would become a terrible adaptation of this arc. I'm assuming Toei plans to stretch this out so the Wano arc can begin by July? That won't be cool. A small filler arc before Wano would have been fine but stretching out these next episodes with recaps is totally unacceptable.

They made some slight chances with the OP now that we're entering this arc, and they were alright. Looking at this one part gave me goosebumps.

I'll have to go back and watch the opening. I completely skipped it because I thought it was the same as always. Wasn't going to bother until we got a whole new one. I'm so tired of that song.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Mar 31, 2019 5:50 PM
Jan 2018
Honestly, this episode was pretty bad. I was super hyped for the announcement, but 80% of the episode was recap and they didn't even show why Luffy was depressed from the article. Also, I'm not sure if it was just me but the animation in this episode, especially during the recap, was noticeably bad. All the characters looked stiff even compared to the original episodes that aired 20 years ago. I love One Piece, but these stretched episodes and ehh animation are really annoying.
Mar 31, 2019 7:29 PM
Dec 2013
what chapter in the manga would this episode relate to? Curious to see how different it was.
Mar 31, 2019 8:56 PM
Jan 2019
What memories! This episode was super good. He had many surprises and I felt nostalgic. I'm too excited!
1. Makino has a son. Will it be from Shanks ?.
2. About Sanji:
- They left you a Ride Suit? Luffy and Chopper acted very funny.
-Now he is the second member of the crew, after Luffy, with the highest reward. About his last name on the poster, I hope you will not stop calling him "Black Leg". By the way, I wonder what Luffy's new reward will be.
-The happiness he felt when he beat Zoro was very funny. "Moss head" LOL.
3. Did Zeus follow Nami? WHAT?. I did not expect that. If we told him, there would be 11 crew members.
4. The Reviere is approaching, there will be many familiar faces and very famous people to meet. I'm anxious about it.
5. About Luffy:
-Luffy is a celebrity on Gyojin Island. Officially they recognize him as their protector and that makes me happy.
- "extraordinary personal magnetism and leadership"? "He has a brain that allowed him to destroy Big Mom's castle with a well calculated strategy"? ... Hahaha, do not stop laughing with those words. LOL. The bird, Morgans, did a great job in his newspaper 😂.
- "The Fifth Emperor of the Sea emerges!" I know it's not official yet, but I loved the idea. It was something that moved me too much 😁.

Shanks knows that Luffy is getting closer and closer to achieving his dream.

"It's something precious to me, take care of it a lot, come and bring it to me one day, once you become a great pirate, that's our promise, Luffy!"
Apr 1, 2019 6:21 AM

Apr 2011
*Sigh* This is why I dropped this. Why? Why do people keep letting Toei get away with this? This is so terrible, they completely butchered everything.

TimeApollo said:
what chapter in the manga would this episode relate to? Curious to see how different it was.

Chapter 903.

euls said:
it's mostly recap because the anime is catching up to the manga and that I understand.

What are you talking about? The pace One Piece goes at, which is never more than 1 chapter per episode, it will never catch up. The manga is at 938 right now, this episode adapted less than half of 903.
Apr 1, 2019 7:19 AM

Nov 2016
Maniacreator said:
SuperRed said:

Toei has the capacity to hire any decent script writer to make competent filler that flows well.

I disagree with this comment, I do not think it is easy to make a filler for OP without ODA observing or checking the script if it is not prepared from previous chapters and the reason should be obvious... (and that is the reason I believe they stretch episodes like Luffy!)

But this chapter was pretty odd for me, voicing felt different, seems to not have enough Ommph in it :(

Exactly it isn't easy, hence you would need competent script writers.

yhunata said:
euls said:

What are you talking about? The pace One Piece goes at, which is never more than 1 chapter per episode, it will never catch up. The manga is at 938 right now, this episode adapted less than half of 903.

The manga is taking breaks far more often...

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1105 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - May 18

59 by MegamiRem »»
1 hour ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1104 Discussion ( 1 2 )

AhriTheS3xyFox - May 11

56 by MegamiRem »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1103 Discussion

IzanaSolos - May 4

47 by MegamiRem »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1102 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Apr 27

51 by MegamiRem »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Episode 1101 Discussion ( 1 2 )

phantom346 - Apr 14

51 by MegamiRem »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.