Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Feb 8, 2018 7:17 AM

Jan 2014
her past just show up, damn cliffhanger
Feb 8, 2018 7:21 AM
Dec 2017
WieczornyKac said:
Why is this episode is so rushed. Why they give such important mission Violet? Why Violet is soooo good at writing about love? I don't get it...

1 not that rushed
2 because she is still better than the other two dolls that work with her and the best doll is working for the princce
3 she said she studied many books about love and thing like that so she probably wrote like what she was reading still without getting it complete
Feb 8, 2018 7:24 AM

May 2010
Possibly she didn't keep track. People call her a "child" in previous episodes, but I figured she was around 17.

I thought the relationship between the prince and princess was sweet, but the relationship between Charlotte and Alberta was a pleasant surprise and I thought that was even more moving.
Feb 8, 2018 7:34 AM
Mar 2015
A Beautiful love story from Charlotte's heart
Feb 8, 2018 7:42 AM
Varangian Guard

Mar 2015
Damn, KyoAni and Netflix are too good in terms of artwork. This show is animated masterpiece.
Feb 8, 2018 7:54 AM

Nov 2007
Hulek46 said:
Damn, KyoAni and Netflix are too good in terms of artwork. This show is animated masterpiece.

Netflix didn't produce it. They just got the worldwide broadcasting right.

Looks like Netflix really got it through to the fans with their "Original" claims.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 8, 2018 8:08 AM

Jan 2015
A couple of things:

1. Did they seriously do a several months timeskip? It completely ruins the narrative, just the last episode Violet still was incompetent and unable to understand human's feelings, now she writes actual letters, sent to a job of an utmost importance and actually able to smile and understand emotions. Like embarassment
2. Violet was 14 when gifted to he major and didn't think of adding the past years when asked for age? It sounds like a plausible explanation I've heard on reddit. Because otherwise it is really uncanny, because Violet looks like an adult girl in early twenties
3. It seems some juicy drama is starting. I think it's major's brother and he's really angry and revenge-hungry

Otherall an enjoyable episode mostly because of the letter exchange and the ending credits scene with the princess. Still have to say again that I hated the time skip
Feb 8, 2018 8:31 AM

Mar 2017
I loved how the townspeople really got invested in the love story. xD
Also.... I'm not crying .... Just was recently cutting onions is all... lklfjaklwje
Feb 8, 2018 8:31 AM

Apr 2016
superzombie23 said:
I found it hard to believe Violet is handling something so diplomatic already. Seems like yesterday she didn't even know how to write a letter. Now she's responsible for a letter that could make two countries hate each other? If I were her boss I would never send her on a job like that. She isn't ready in my opinion. And when she writes a letter properly, it's a spontaneous moment that is completely out of her control. Maybe she's learned that she has to get to the truth of the matter with her client, which requires asking the right questions. But, something like that is not guaranteed to work every time. It's never really conveyed that she developed a method of interviewing her clients, nor did they show anything to indicate that she has improved as a writer. We just have to assume that she's human so she must have gained at least SOME insight into human emotions and love by this point. Plus, she can't be 14. Compared to the other characters, she seems very mature. But now that I think about it, the way she carries herself and talks probably does age her up. If she was a normal girl which the typical quirky voice and expressions, 14 is kind of believable. I did read this is filler or anime original so maybe that's why this logically did not sit right with me. I never read the source material.

chiefbigcorn said:
I feel like we've progressed way too fast to get to the point where she can write good letters. And have the capacity to go and act independently for the well being of the writting contractee.
(She's actually 14, what the fuck man??? The ages of everyone are really fuck because all the art looks equally beautiful. Difficult to tell 14 from 24. Thankfully the FBI isn't knocking down doors in their world.)

Anyway seeing the smile was nice but I totally couldn't feel it.

My point exactly. I hope the show doesn't continue to throw in random character progression as it goes on because this was unrealistic.

Well according to Hodgins she has 'gained lots of experience in the past few months'. I'm assuming she has carried out a number of adventures before, aside from what happened in the first 4 episodes. They've skipped in time to a Violet who is already close to an expert.

The thing is, even the source material does that, but you could say it's worse. There is a massive time gap between the moment Violet is introduced to her fellow workers and the first adventure they show us. So I guess the anime did a bit better on that, but I do agree with you that the placement of this episode was not the best. They could have adapted one of the adventures available from the novel which involved less important matters, but I don't really know why they didn't.

allenjke said:
While i think it was a good episode, kinda strange that there was a big time skip (at least i think so considering how Violet wrote such a letter). Plus the story also felt a bit rushed and seeing people say that it's anime origiinal want to question that original source doesn't have enough of content? And again i think the episodes are fine, especially this one was quite good, just the overall format feels strange and questionable. Another thing, thought that this episode wasn't about Violet, like it wasn't about her progression at all and she was just a side character.
Really surprised that she is 14 ...
The scene with Violet trying to make a smile, made me chuckle a little bit =/

The source material has more than enough chapters for a 14-episode series. 13 chapters, with at least 2 or 3 which are pretty long, enough for 2 episodes.

KyrenDuNord said:
Has the show started adapting the light novel yet? I am enjoying this so far but I feel like they need to work on the pacing a little. The final scene got me dying for next episode.
4/5

No, they still haven't started adapting any material aside from Chapter 8, which was episode 1 but massively reduced.

sadl1fe said:
A couple of things:

1. Did they seriously do a several months timeskip? It completely ruins the narrative, just the last episode Violet still was incompetent and unable to understand human's feelings, now she writes actual letters, sent to a job of an utmost importance and actually able to smile and understand emotions. Like embarassment
2. Violet was 14 when gifted to he major and didn't think of adding the past years when asked for age? It sounds like a plausible explanation I've heard on reddit. Because otherwise it is really uncanny, because Violet looks like an adult girl in early twenties
3. It seems some juicy drama is starting. I think it's major's brother and he's really angry and revenge-hungry

Otherall an enjoyable episode mostly because of the letter exchange and the ending credits scene with the princess. Still have to say again that I hated the time skip

I guess they could've shown a few minutes of her helping out and building experience before showing this.

As for the her age when she was given to Gilbert, she was considered to be '10' by Dietfriet. Here's some quotes about her age.

Major_GilbertFeb 8, 2018 8:45 AM

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Feb 8, 2018 8:33 AM
Dec 2013
sadl1fe said:
A couple of things:

It wasn't years but probably a few months. She's had more experience now and was great at writing letters.

Though Violet's situation holds true for many authors. One can write a Romantic prose but never experience what it is nor understand it completely. There will be a sense of emptiness.
Feb 8, 2018 8:49 AM
Oct 2017
At the end scene Catteya told violet it was hard to convince the prince to do it.

What does it mean 'to do it'? Handwrite letter?
Feb 8, 2018 8:58 AM

Nov 2007
cowicowi said:
At the end scene Catteya told violet it was hard to convince the prince to do it.

What does it mean 'to do it'? Handwrite letter?

Yes. Initially it was perceived that he was busy but in reality he lacked confidence in writing love letters himself, if you notice the letters, they became longer and more personal from one to the next. Cattleya was referring to convincing the prince to write himself initially because of his lack in confidence.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 8, 2018 9:01 AM

Jul 2012
Major_Gilbert said:

The source material has more than enough chapters for a 14-episode series. 13 chapters, with at least 2 or 3 which are pretty long, enough for 2 episodes.

You mean it like the whole original source to cover all 14 episodes, cause if yes i still don't understand why are they doing these anime-originals. To show Violet's progression better so then novel just skips it? And even if they're adding it, why was it rushed, seems even more strange. I mean there was some kind of progression, but the episode felt like it wasn't about Violet at all ...
Feb 8, 2018 9:20 AM

Jun 2016
Amazing episode as expected.
Feb 8, 2018 9:28 AM

Apr 2016
allenjke said:
Major_Gilbert said:

You mean it like the whole original source to cover all 14 episodes, cause if yes i still don't understand why are they doing these anime-originals. To show Violet's progression better so then novel just skips it? And even if they're adding it, why was it rushed, seems even more strange. I mean there was some kind of progression, but the episode felt like it wasn't about Violet at all ...

I agree that most episodes have felt rushed. They seem to have put too much effort in trying to make side-characters get as much development as possible, which is at the cost of Violet's development.

"Le vent se lève!... Il faut tenter de vivre!"
- Paul Valéry, Le Cimetière Marin -

Feb 8, 2018 9:39 AM

Dec 2017
Dietfriet looks so good with his eyes and that long hair.... too bad he's an asshole.

I don't know what to feel about princess Charlotte, I liked the episode though.

I can't believe Violet is 14... I thought she was 16-17. I think she doesn't care about age gaps because Gilbert is older than her too. But it wouldn't surprise me if she actually is 17.

I'm happy Violet didn't mess up with the letters like in the first episodes and Charlotte told her she's good at writing letters. The scene at the end wasn't a flashback, was it? At least I hope so. It would be interesting to see a conversation between Violet and Gilbert's brother.
Feb 8, 2018 9:44 AM
Jan 2018
Major_Gilbert said:
allenjke said:

I agree that most episodes have felt rushed. They seem to have put too much effort in trying to make side-characters get as much development as possible, which is at the cost of Violet's development.

They are probably expecting to roll 2nd season based on source soon enough, so they save it up for later.

(or smb got really unstatisfied by next screening ep and they are throwing in prepared original episodes (100% my assumptions based on time skips and that last 2 eps didn't draw from source material, according to other posts, as originals are easier to produce, as they were written with tech and the fact of being animated in mind)
Feb 8, 2018 10:00 AM

Dec 2017
That was a surprising episode. Writing a letter like that while she's only written a single one that was brief, it's like things went from 0 to 100. Also nice to see her take the iniative herself and make them send genuine letters to each other.

Dis girl is growing, also facially :]

Feb 8, 2018 10:09 AM
May 2015
Well, I can´t help myself to think, that so far, this seems like one of the best anime I´ve watch yet.

Btw. Am I only one thinking, that at the end of this episode... It would be strong as hell, if she replied to that guy, that those "killing" hands she doesnt have anymore?

I think, I may be give a try to this light novel, after the anime is over. :)
(if its at least half as good as Goblin slayer (LN), in terms of the story telling, it would be shure nice to read.)
Feb 8, 2018 10:13 AM
May 2017
Little by little, this ready recipe of "presenting minor characters, presenting any little bit, developing porcally, and then finalizing", will end up losing the effect. They want to do too much, and they end up doing nothing.
Feb 8, 2018 10:20 AM

Feb 2014
This was a really fascinating episode. The whole romance between Damian and Charlotte was lovely. =)

The normal letters didn't reflect on how both of them felt, so thanks to Violet, the two wrote letters to each other, expressing their real emotions and faults about each other. An honest approach that had not only me enthralled by it, but also the townsfolk from the respective cities both kingdoms.

The best moment for me was after the credits, with Violet speaking to Cattleya, reflecting on the whole experience. Violet's smile was simply beautiful and took me by complete surprise. =3

What I didn't expect to see after that scene, was Dietfred. I can't really blame him for acting hostile at Violet after what happened during the war. It does make me worry that he might do something that would screw over her career as an Auto Memory Doll or worse.

Either way, that cliffhanger has be eager to see what the next episode has in store. =)
Feb 8, 2018 10:31 AM

Jun 2015
I forgot this was an anime for a second, forgot that japanese love underaged girls. (I know that marriages like that are common back then; I just wanna rant.) The music and art is once again beautiful. 8/10
Feb 8, 2018 10:38 AM

Jan 2015
I know this was a marriage between two kingdoms but I still found the fact that everybody was reading their letters kinda weird.
Feb 8, 2018 10:45 AM

Dec 2009
This episode got me tearing. Blew the other 4 episodes out of the water.

The letter fight had me smiling the whole time. I really felt like one of the citizens. I'm glad they got their love sorted out. I was way too invested in their romance.

Violet smiling warmed my heart.
Feb 8, 2018 10:53 AM

Sep 2017
I loved this episode ,Violet actually showed some sort of emotion until she arrive at the port and met that officer or whatever he’s called.

Also,Im really excited for the next episode,seems like its going to be a little bit more dramatic:)

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Feb 8, 2018 11:08 AM

Feb 2016
Meh Episode, not good not bad. But after 4 episodes of filler, we are finally going to see something relevant to Violet again. Hope it is worth because so far everything has been really dissappointing... I.e Wasted budget on scenes that aren't meaningful (like that one in last week's episode where Violet greets the parents of that girl with brown skin which name I already forgot)
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Feb 8, 2018 11:10 AM

Feb 2016
Delhinho said:
Little by little, this ready recipe of "presenting minor characters, presenting any little bit, developing porcally, and then finalizing", will end up losing the effect. They want to do too much, and they end up doing nothing.

Agree, it happens on many anime, specially comedy ones, where they abuse their recipe a lot, wasting it until it doesn't have any effect, is like telling a really funny joke, you know its funny, and you keep using it over and over until it is no longer funny
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Feb 8, 2018 11:29 AM
Varangian Guard

Mar 2015
shanimebib said:
Hulek46 said:

Netflix didn't produce it. They just got the worldwide broadcasting right.

Looks like Netflix really got it through to the fans with their "Original" claims.

Well, I'm quite aware of that. What I wrote was just mind shortcut.
Feb 8, 2018 11:29 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
That cliffhanger at the end. I was wondering when her back would come to haunt her.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 8, 2018 12:18 PM
Jan 2018
This is the best episode so far...
I can't wait for the next,and i hope Kyoani keeps plot like this

Anyway when She smiled was the best scene this episode
Feb 8, 2018 12:29 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
A wonderful episode that demonstrated the power of genuine letters.

Took me by surprise hearing Charlotte was actually in love with the prince, rather than the usual hating him. It was a bit refreshing to be honest. I'm sure living a life as royalty comes with numerous difficulties, especially in the form of disingenuous people. No one caring about who you really are or what you truly think.

Charlotte and Alberta's relationship was a complicated, yet strong one. Without really saying it, it sounds as though both of Charlotte's parents are dead. It must be difficult acting as both a mother figure and a servant to the Princess. This made Alberta stay pretty stoic even during some of the most emotional moments; despite her wishing the same as Charlotte most likely.

The one thing that tripped me up was the fact Violet all of a sudden knew how to write fairly well. When did this happen? It hasn't really shown her practice or anything, so it felt a bit unjustified. Regardless, this episode really helped improve Violet's emotions; working hard for the princess despite that not being her "direct orders".

I really enjoyed the letter responses segment, it was just fun to listen to their replies.

I'm just glad everything worked out and it was a happy ending. Overall, a very good episode.

Also, I don't believe she's 14. I've always thought of her around her early 20s. At least that's how she looks.
Feb 8, 2018 1:37 PM

Jul 2016
Wow, Violet's age came as a surprise. I hope she's wrong, I'm having a hard time accepting this after thinking the whole time she was above 16.

Mixed feelings about the episode. The entire love story would've been way more enjoyable if it wasn't for the fact that they were 14 and goddamn 24.

The scene with Charlotte and Alberta at the end was pretty nice though.
Feb 8, 2018 1:50 PM
Jun 2017
Good episode. Cant wait for next week
Feb 8, 2018 1:55 PM

Jul 2014
the most emotional episode so far...!!
i love how they delivers those scenes in this episode, each episode is getting better and better at all :D
9/10
Feb 8, 2018 2:00 PM

Jan 2018
Major_Gilbert said:
Rinkx said:
Is this another anime original?
[Edit] Anyway, this episode's princess looks really similiar to Ai from Kyoukai no Kanata for me.

Don't you remember... Episode 3, at the start, the flashback... He's Gilbert's brother, the one who found Violet in the first place.

I remembered, but I don't understand how he behave. Why did he said that
Feb 8, 2018 2:05 PM

Jan 2018
reziar said:
Where are you guys watching this?

It's on Netflix! That's the only legal way to watch it for me ^.^
Feb 8, 2018 2:52 PM

Jan 2014
So,.. all countries are actually on the Australian continent, including the Principality of Lippe, which in the anime is called "Drossel", and the princess of which is to mary the prince of a neighboring state, named after a pink alcoholic beverage popular among teenage clubbers.
"I'm a middle schooler bartender!"
- Mishima Hitomi
Feb 8, 2018 3:04 PM

Jun 2007
camellia is my favourite flower but this is too much. the princess was reading books to understand whom is better to marry LMAO. wow so romantic a 10 y o and 20 yo fall in love with each other! but heeey it's just the world they live in.... they can make steel arms but weeell.... not everything's progressing that smoothly shikatanai arimasen so i guess I HAVE TO overlook their ages and shed a tear seeing a pretty fourteen years old bride :] so romantic :]
and so Gilbert fell in love with a fourteen years old girl... so romantic and sweet gosh :]
see you, space cowperson . . .
Feb 8, 2018 3:38 PM

May 2015
Probably the best episode so far, despite it being another anime original. That ending with the princess and Alberta was beautiful.

And look who we've got here in this episode too. Dietfriet.

Feb 8, 2018 3:47 PM

Feb 2015
That was so good it felt like a different anime.
Feb 8, 2018 4:42 PM
Jan 2018
Petalview said:
reziar said:
Isn't it aired on Netflix?

It wasn't on Netflix until 8th Feb, I was wondering how people were watching it the day before.
Feb 8, 2018 4:43 PM
Jan 2018
yuuriviktor said:
reziar said:

It's on Netflix! That's the only legal way to watch it for me ^.^

I am fully aware it's on Netflix, I watched it on there as soon as it came out but people watched it the day before it was released on Netflix and I wanted to know how.
Feb 8, 2018 4:44 PM

Sep 2017
Violet is 14? What the hell, she looks so much older. This also makes the military thing a lot more messed up. This was a pretty good side story. Obviously a 14 year old marrying a 24 year old would be a no go here, but you have have to think of the cultural differences.

Violet stretching her face to be 'expressive' was pretty funny; however, at the end of the episode we get a genuine smile from Violet, which is cute, but also a nice development.
Feb 8, 2018 5:33 PM

Apr 2015
It's much easier to tolerate Violet when she isn't acting completely socially retarded/someone else calls her out on having no emotions.

I wasn't sure that I liked the princess at first, but I had genuine sympathy for her, having to celebrate her 10th birthday by getting courted by older men. The prince who found her really seemed like a genuine guy. The two of them broke traditional royal custom bullshit, shared their honest feelings, and fell in love via their words.

And now someone from Violet's past has returned...I wonder if that guy's going to tell her the Major is dead.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Feb 8, 2018 5:36 PM

Oct 2014
Hulek46 said:

KyoAni and money, you mean?
Feb 8, 2018 5:42 PM

Jun 2012
The girl being 14 got lucky and I mean really lucky. The princesses could marry even earlier, like 10 and would have to consume their marriage when they got their first period no matter what age. And if they even got more unfortunate than all that, their husband could be in their fifties.
Oh and funny thing the public letters were like a soup opera back in the day I think.
Feb 8, 2018 5:47 PM

Sep 2012
So she's fourteen, huh. Pretty decent episode, I'm not certain if there was a couple of months time skipped but Violet sure has gotten alot better at percieving others emotions.
Feb 8, 2018 6:01 PM

Jan 2011
Revvie-chan said:
Hulek46 said:

KyoAni and money, you mean?

woah woah woah ^ this is more accurate ,next people are gonna start thinking this was actually made by netflix at this rate even their co produced stuff is still mainly done by the big studios just with a fatter wallet
Feb 8, 2018 6:13 PM
Jul 2015
I like this show but like wtf is going on? before it seemed like this was gonna be an almost day-by-day viewing of Violet's growth but now we've skipped ahead so much? I'm aware the novel focuses on snip-its of her life and so the show would naturally turn out this way but 1. I wish they had wrapped up her first arch of becoming a Doll cleaner and 2. Not make the timeskips so huge I have no idea whats going on? I have no problem with doing an in-depth look into how the character got there and then doing timeskips, but this show did not handle the transition well. and KyoAni knows how to do it, look at Miss Kobayashi, that was like a week in their life then it was just important holidays so they know how to do it, I understand Violet is a different show but like cmon guys, I want to like this show so bad and its getting hard. Super entertaining but it makes no goddamn sense. To make the emotional impact it wants it needs to stop confusing me
Feb 8, 2018 6:42 PM

Dec 2016
interesting episode but the ending was easily the best part
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2018

636 by BlaizeV »»
Sep 18, 11:15 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 4, 2018

506 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 30, 7:09 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2018

238 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 30, 6:38 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2018

253 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 30, 6:16 AM

Poll: » Violet Evergarden Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2018

292 by HiljainenSipuli »»
Aug 29, 5:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.