Forum Settings
Forums

How long will it take for politically correct/ sjw to invade the Anime industry?

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jan 29, 2018 8:52 PM
Jul 2014
cageofroses said:
Using the term sjw seriously in 2018... do any of you actually go outside

Most pieces of media are political in one way or another. Sorry to tell ya. Also can I get some examples of 'sjws' ruining cartoons and movies and stuff or are you just complaining about people that don't usually get represented.... being represented?

I've seen people talking about how Funimation is dubbing incorrectly and adding stuff about patriarchy and sexism in Kobayashi Dragon maid and others. I'd prefer subbing and dubbing be done correctly without unnecessary additions.
Jan 29, 2018 9:10 PM
Jul 2014
I said something similar and got essays of insults and racism thrown at me. Then, the mod got offended and tried to say it was against the rules and deleted it, and wouldn't comment. You seem to be pretty lucky so far. I think it will happen eventually. They already tried to get Japan to ban sexual abuse or something along those lines in manga and anime, but Japan can't just get rid of the tentacle monsters and high school girls.
Jan 29, 2018 10:34 PM

Dec 2015
Pullman said:
mruize85 said:

This is not about you or me. This is about the average of the 7.500.000.000 people living in this planet. And whites are only 1/7 th of the whole. Ask to Abraham or Muhammad if they will be happy to see their daughter dating a <put some other race/ethnic group/culture/religion/etc. here>...

Well, I'm not saying it's not how things are in a lot of places, I'm just saying it doesn't have to be like that. As a society, as individuals the choice is up to us, at least in democratic countries. There already has been a lot of progress compared to historical times, which was only possible because people did not see the status quo as unchangeable.

You do realize this topic is one big circlejerk, right? Even if I agree with everything you said you of all people should know you can't win nor learn anything in this subject because people are too afraid thinking about what you said. I'm surprised you even got reactions.
Jan 29, 2018 10:55 PM

Feb 2010
holysauron said:
Pullman said:

Well, I'm not saying it's not how things are in a lot of places, I'm just saying it doesn't have to be like that. As a society, as individuals the choice is up to us, at least in democratic countries. There already has been a lot of progress compared to historical times, which was only possible because people did not see the status quo as unchangeable.

You do realize this topic is one big circlejerk, right? Even if I agree with everything you said you of all people should know you can't win nor learn anything in this subject because people are too afraid thinking about what you said. I'm surprised you even got reactions.

Well, you gotta try sometimes.
I enjoy writing my walls of text anyway, because I'm that self-indulgent, so there's no harm done :>
I probably regret this post by now.
Jan 29, 2018 11:04 PM

Apr 2016
Since Japan doesn't give a fuck about the outside world and their bullshit, it's never gonna happen. Good thing too.
Jan 30, 2018 7:10 AM

Apr 2012
BadSuns said:
cageofroses said:

Most pieces of media are political in one way or another. Sorry to tell ya. Also can I get some examples of 'sjws' ruining cartoons and movies and stuff or are you just complaining about people that don't usually get represented.... being represented?

I've seen people talking about how Funimation is dubbing incorrectly and adding stuff about patriarchy and sexism in Kobayashi Dragon maid and others. I'd prefer subbing and dubbing be done correctly without unnecessary additions.

That's a funny choice since I know there are those (that some people in this thread would call 'sjws') that got upset about a line change in that as well.

Personally if something that's localized keeps the same feel or idea behind a scene, then I don't see the issue unless it's something huge like changing the entire plot, character relationships, etc.

On the other hand I also don't mind changes that get rid of or change racist imagery, sexualization of kids, and such.

let's live heroically, let's live with style
Jan 30, 2018 7:29 AM

Jul 2015
Pullman said:
holysauron said:

Well, you gotta try sometimes.
I enjoy writing my walls of text anyway, because I'm that self-indulgent, so there's no harm done :>

Is it just me or OP abandonned his sinking thread right after you fired your volley? Maybe it doesn't feel like a safe space anymore...
Jan 30, 2018 1:23 PM

Feb 2015
*Still waiting for Japs to care for Western audiences and their opinions*

>monthly/weekly sale of anime in the west when?!

Jan 30, 2018 2:02 PM

Nov 2017
_Ako_ said:
*Still waiting for Japs to care for Western audiences and their opinions*

>monthly/weekly sale of anime in the west when?!

I don't. It's their media, made specially for them, and this is what makes it what it is. Globalism is a World destructor.
Jan 30, 2018 3:06 PM

Nov 2014
Pullman said:
Yeah MAL, I don't really frequent reddit or tumblr at all. But really, are SJWs dominating reddit? I thought that was all trump voters these days. Isn't that where the alt-right was born basically?
You're thinking of 4chan.

That said I'm not sure how many of them are actually alt-right, it's just that SJW tend to display their stupidity in the public, shouting people down at events and parading with stupid signs (sometime wearing stupid costumes or just going topless altogether), so they are easier to meme. Alt-righters are keyboard warriors.
I'm not a lolicon, you're just projecting your tendency to lewd 2D characters.

If your favourite character is Tsutsukakushi Tsukiko, you are my soul mate.

Been a long time since I've been here, I'll continue expressing myself freely and believe everyone should too.
My MAL Interview
Jan 30, 2018 3:55 PM

Feb 2010
BurningSpirit said:
Pullman said:
Yeah MAL, I don't really frequent reddit or tumblr at all. But really, are SJWs dominating reddit? I thought that was all trump voters these days. Isn't that where the alt-right was born basically?
You're thinking of 4chan.

That said I'm not sure how many of them are actually alt-right, it's just that SJW tend to display their stupidity in the public, shouting people down at events and parading with stupid signs (sometime wearing stupid costumes or just going topless altogether), so they are easier to meme. Alt-righters are keyboard warriors.

Oh yeah, admittedly those two kinda blend into one in my head. I suck at the nuances of internet culture ^^.
Jan 30, 2018 3:56 PM

Apr 2011
Japan actually cares about making money instead of pandering to degenerates and losers...

wait a minute...

forget what I just said.
Jan 30, 2018 3:58 PM

Sep 2009
Jan 30, 2018 5:49 PM

Oct 2014
cageofroses said:
BadSuns said:

That's a funny choice since I know there are those (that some people in this thread would call 'sjws') that got upset about a line change in that as well.

Personally if something that's localized keeps the same feel or idea behind a scene, then I don't see the issue unless it's something huge like changing the entire plot, character relationships, etc.

On the other hand I also don't mind changes that get rid of or change racist imagery, sexualization of kids, and such.

Well changes did at times made it only worse like Prison School with the Gamergate line.

But SJW's never ruined things.
Political correctness doesn't ruin things, Bad writing does but ppl rather blame it on being SJW instead of being poorly written.

Just look at Steven's universe, it is pretty dam Political correct, is it bad? NO!!!
In fact many ppl find it veery well written and enjoyable.

Oh and Devilman Crybaby was made and streams on Netflix, so Will Japan get hit by SJW? Nope.
Jan 30, 2018 5:58 PM

Jan 2018
From the videos I've seen about SJWs, I would say they are rash people that fight in terms of their emotional overview rather than logic, and statistics. I wouldn't be scared about their involvement to take away our enjoyment because in the end, these shows are just characters drawn and written: they are simply just fiction.

Moreover, it seems no one really know that when debating with an SJW, you evidently 'lose' regardless if you were factually superior. It's just in their nature to be right through hypocritical means of morality.

TL:DR
SJWs are unreasonable, so you shouldn't care.

「 what comes after the rain? 」
add meanime listmanga list

Jan 30, 2018 6:22 PM

Apr 2012
Bourmegar said:

Well changes did at times made it only worse like Prison School with the Gamergate line.

But SJW's never ruined things.
Political correctness doesn't ruin things, Bad writing does but ppl rather blame it on being SJW instead of being poorly written.

Just look at Steven's universe, it is pretty dam Political correct, is it bad? NO!!!
In fact many ppl find it veery well written and enjoyable.

Oh and Devilman Crybaby was made and streams on Netflix, so Will Japan get hit by SJW? Nope.

Now this whole post is something I can agree on.

People get so scared of political correctness that the moment there is any, people scream SJWs, regardless of if the writing is good or not.

Jan 30, 2018 10:40 PM
May 2017
This sounds like a clash of cultures type of deal, and Japan is pretty well known for not giving a shit about other cultures when it comes to stuff like this.
Jan 30, 2018 10:42 PM
Jul 2018
Why do anime fans get pissed at the thought of something trying to be, "politically correct"? It's immature and juvenile. These same people criticize anime that try to be, "edgy" yet their reactions are often as, if not more, edgier.

To answer your question, I doubt it'l lever happen. Japan didn't give a shit about foreigners a couple 100 years ago. It still doesn't seem to give much of a shit about it now.

@mihyon

Entertainment influences people, at least on a subconscious psychological level.

To label all SJW's as irrational, is an insult to Martin Luther King Jr, Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, and countless other historical figures.
Without SJW's, nobody would have rights: in America, women wouldn't be allowed to vote, or drive in Saudi Arabia.

@Bourmegar I feel like you are one of the most rational people on MAL, even more rational than me.

@GlennMagusHarvey Oh hey, another shitposter who posts purely to increase their post count and complain.
removed-userJan 30, 2018 10:49 PM
Jan 30, 2018 10:53 PM

Jan 2018
NihilisticLoner said:
Why do anime fans get pissed at the thought of something trying to be, "politically correct"? It's immature and juvenile. These same people criticize anime that try to be, "edgy" yet their reactions are often as, if not more, edgier.

To answer your question, I doubt it'l lever happen. Japan didn't give a shit about foreigners a couple 100 years ago. It still doesn't seem to give much of a shit about it now.

@mihyon

Entertainment influences people, at least on a subconscious psychological level.

To label all SJW's as irrational, is an insult to Martin Luther King Jr, Mahatma Gandhi, Nelson Mandela, and countless other historical figures.
Without SJW's, nobody would have rights: in America, women wouldn't be allowed to vote, or drive in Saudi Arabia.

When I refered to SJWs, I'm talking about modern day ones. The ones that recieved all the coverage and hate through the media. The ones we perceive that are irrational and crazed.

If you read what I wrote, I said "from the videos I've seen", sorry if you were offended but I truly didn't mean any harm.

Political correctness isn't an issue, but if it's enforced overwhelmingly then that's an issue. It's a form of censorship, where one can't speak openly about controversial topics. It restricts free speech and the ability to have an open mind.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

Jan 30, 2018 10:59 PM
Jul 2018
mihyon said:
NihilisticLoner said:

@mihyon

When I refered to SJWs, I'm talking about modern day ones. The ones that recieved all the coverage and hate through the media. The ones we perceive that are irrational and crazed.

If you read what I wrote, I said "from the videos I've seen", sorry if you were offended but I truly didn't mean any harm.

Political correctness isn't an issue, but if it's enforced overwhelmingly then that's an issue. It's a form of censorship, where one can't speak openly about controversial topics. It restricts free speech and the ability to have an open mind.

Sorry. I read the part where you mentioned videos specifically, but at the moment, I was just pissed so I...glossed over it?
I dunno, anger's a weird thing. Well, I'm hot-headed, so yeah.

Okay, fine: so I understand why people hate crazy sjw's.
But why does the MAL community seem to always lose their fuck shit the moment anybody mentions anything relating to sjw's or race or gender representation?

I once made a thread asking why the anime community excuses misrepresentation of skin color, and many people were blowing up.

WTF is wrong with telling people that you wish that the entertainment you enjoy, improved itself?
Jan 30, 2018 11:06 PM

May 2009
NihilisticLoner said:
@GlennMagusHarvey Oh hey, another shitposter who posts purely to increase their post count and complain.
I don't give a flying fuck about my post count, and you can see my entire post history if you want, by looking up my name.

And I stand by my comment. I'm tired of this stupid shadowboxing against SJWs. I see people complaining about SJWs like 10000 times more often than I see the fabled "SJWs" they so hate (I think I've seen a grand total of one on this forum, and that was months ago).

Not to mention that some people use opposition to political correctness to shield themselves from criticism when other people tell them that they're being rude and obnoxious, so I have every reason to be skeptical of their motives.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jan 30, 2018 11:07 PM

Jan 2018
NihilisticLoner said:
mihyon said:

Sorry. I read the part where you mentioned videos specifically, but at the moment, I was just pissed so I...glossed over it?

But why does the MAL community seem to always lose their fuck shit the moment anybody mentions anything relating to sjw's or race or gender representation?

I once made a thread asking why the anime community excuses misrepresentation of skin color, and many people were blowing up.

WTF is wrong with telling people that you wish that the entertainment you enjoy, improved itself?

I'm not sure if I fully understood what you wrote, but below is what I thought.

I haven't been a member of MAL for the time you've spent here. But from what I've seen before in other medias, people just like to defend what they like.

Say someone purchased shoes for $500, and they told their peers. Obviously, there will be some backlash on why they spent $500 on shoes. In the end, the person defends his purchase to justify his actions.

It could be said the same for anything really. People just have a sense of duty to protect what they enjoy.

Anyways, I'm going to leave it like this. Thanks for a good discussion!

Jan 31, 2018 1:02 AM

Nov 2014
Pullman said:

Oh wow. I can't believe you bothered with such a reply to stupid topic like this, that will just reappear again with in few days with different poster and title.
Anyway, I have nothing to add here. Wish I could just +1 it.
Jan 31, 2018 3:58 AM

Oct 2014
NihilisticLoner said:
mihyon said:

@Pullman
Well some ppl just want to protdct their hobby from what they believe is bad (even if they are wrong) and like to label ppl.

And that label came from the crazy SJWs and asking about such stuff as race fits in that label it seems.

It is just easy for them to blame a group instead of looking what actually ruined "their Medium" like bad writing (Like with Marvel comics).
Steven's universe is Political correct and nobody comllains about it, why? Because many ppl found it to be well written with enjoyable characters.

Plus The west is not completely PC. Stand up comedians are still Political incorrect and now even get Netflix contracts just to name an example.

The only 2 things I wish These SJW would not do is:
censorship of free speech and being obnoxious.
Jan 31, 2018 4:05 AM

Jul 2015
Neet said:
SJW's are never relevant. But anime has gotten more politically correct lately, you see a lot more gay characters or "trap" characters etc nowadays. Which is hardly a concern imo.

That's due to demand. Anime/Manga might not be politically correct in the western sense but it's been kinda "by misfits, for misfits" for a long time now.

Afaik there is no socio-political pressure to produce more gay stuff in Japan but there does seem to be market incentives, just check out YoI sales.
Jan 31, 2018 8:58 AM

Feb 2010
Bourmegar said:
NihilisticLoner said:

@Pullman
Well some ppl just want to protdct their hobby from what they believe is bad (even if they are wrong) and like to label ppl.

And that label came from the crazy SJWs and asking about such stuff as race fits in that label it seems.

It is just easy for them to blame a group instead of looking what actually ruined "their Medium" like bad writing (Like with Marvel comics).
Steven's universe is Political correct and nobody comllains about it, why? Because many ppl found it to be well written with enjoyable characters.

Plus The west is not completely PC. Stand up comedians are still Political incorrect and now even get Netflix contracts just to name an example.

The only 2 things I wish These SJW would not do is:
censorship of free speech and being obnoxious.

I wish nobody complained about Stevens Universe because I love the show and it's become one of my alltime favorites, but I've seen a lot of people shit on it. On the one hand just for being, well, open-minded and tolerant and having a fat MC (people fucking hate fat MCs, see Accel World reception) as well as for including topics like homosexuality and diversity.

But I've also seen SJW essays of X pages analyzing how deeply racist SU apparently is.

Just goes to show that the maniacs on both sides will never be satisfied unless they can shit on something. Shitting on stuff and ranting is what gives their life meaning and it's funny that they don't realize how similar they are to each other, how dependent they are on the other side to provide them with situations to complain about.
Jan 31, 2018 9:05 AM

Jun 2008
cageofroses said:

Sjw detected. Especially with the "represented" bullshit.
Go away you evil being.

Jan 31, 2018 9:17 AM
Aug 2013
-Elegant- said:
zodd0 said:
These threads are always so retarded. They serve no point other than for "nationalists" to rant like drooling morons and pat each other on the back.

"-Country : Sweden"

Okay.........

SWEDEN
YES

what a classic, laughed my ass off
Imagination is a weapon. Those who don't use it die first.
Jan 31, 2018 11:35 AM

Apr 2017
Monad said:
Go away you evil being.

That intellectual level of yours...
Jan 31, 2018 12:28 PM

May 2009
Bourmegar said:

There have been people saying that anime was for deviants long before "SJW" was a thing.
Monad said:
cageofroses said:

Go away you evil being.

SJW detected. Posting a show with a female protagonist.
Jan 31, 2018 12:35 PM

Apr 2012
Monad said:
cageofroses said:

Go away you evil being.

the use of buffy is so fuckin funny considering the topic.

Anyway you wanna answer the question or nah?

Jan 31, 2018 1:08 PM

Oct 2015
Please no, that's what I like about anime.
Jan 31, 2018 1:53 PM

Jun 2011
cageofroses said:

well there is the comic division of marvel, their need for "representation" has become a joke about how many things they could jam into one character, sure its the bad writing and decisions being made thats the problem, but it was all made because of the SJW way of "representation", killing off or otherwise sidelining/changing popular characters that are especially popular due to current movies/tv just to push a more SJW approved character in their spot (with the assumed hope that the original characters popularity will be helpful in pushing their ideology). They also hired writers partly due to their race and sexual orientation (openly admitted). Due to their priorities most of the things that were created would be considered subpar to the point that even store owners were complaining how this affected their business..... of course they tried to lay the blame of their failings on the fans and some even attacked the fans in the comics, but luckily a lot of these comics are FINALLY getting cancelled

also as someone who pretty much watches all of the comic tv shows the clear and annoying SJW-shit in Legends of tomorrow and supergirl made me have to drop them, like seriously its so over the top (i assume you havent watched them if you have to even ask this question lol)

in short, dont fall into the same trap that racism deniers often do "i havent seen any sign of it around me so obviously its not a thing"
Jan 31, 2018 2:23 PM

Apr 2012
Killaclown said:
cageofroses said:

well there is the comic division of marvel, their need for "representation" has become a joke about how many things they could jam into one character, sure its the bad writing and decisions being made thats the problem, but it was all made because of the SJW way of "representation", killing off or otherwise sidelining/changing popular characters that are especially popular due to current movies/tv just to push a more SJW approved character in their spot (with the assumed hope that the original characters popularity will be helpful in pushing their ideology). They also hired writers partly due to their race and sexual orientation (openly admitted). Due to their priorities most of the things that were created would be considered subpar to the point that even store owners were complaining how this affected their business..... of course they tried to lay the blame of their failings on the fans and some even attacked the fans in the comics, but luckily a lot of these comics are FINALLY getting cancelled

also as someone who pretty much watches all of the comic tv shows the clear and annoying SJW-shit in Legends of tomorrow and supergirl made me have to drop them, like seriously its so over the top (i assume you havent watched them if you have to even ask this question lol)

in short, dont fall into the same trap that racism deniers often do "i havent seen any sign of it around me so obviously its not a thing"

You do know you can be more than one thing, right? You can be black and gay, hispanic and bi, etc. Like what you call jamming things into one character is that. People like that exist. When it comes to comics, most of them are legacy characters. There can be more than one person that plays the role and not all of them have be the exact same thing.

Complaining about them hiring minorities and people in the LGBT community to write stories for them is so weird. If they want to expand their characters and said characters' backgrounds, it makes sense to hire people that would actually know what they're talking about. What would you want instead? For them to only hire straight white people for everything? like? From your view point it seems that if anyone is hired at all and they're not straight or white, it's some sort of SJW power move.

I don't watch a lot of the live action super hero tv shows, no. The cartoons were always more my thing. So I can't give any opinion on that unless you wanna give some examples of this 'annoying SJW-shit'.

Not falling into any trap, lol, you guys just get so ruffled by the smallest of things and scream SJW just because you don't like something.

Jan 31, 2018 2:28 PM

Jan 2014
I mean there was that time when UN legit tried to ban the production/distribution of hentai/doujins so the spoke with Japan about it and the Japanese representative basically told them to fuck off. So no, I think Japans good.
AstZeroJan 31, 2018 2:32 PM
The beauty of humans is that they say one thing then do another, but at the same time that can also be their ugliest side.
Jan 31, 2018 3:15 PM

Jun 2008
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Bourmegar said:

There have been people saying that anime was for deviants long before "SJW" was a thing.
Monad said:

Go away you evil being.

Hmm...the fact that you find any issue with an anti-sjw expression having a pic of a female protagonist just shows your and possibly general ignorance of what sjw and what anti-sjw people are or stand for.

cageofroses said:
Monad said:

Go away you evil being.

the use of buffy is so fuckin funny considering the topic.

See the above. You are no advocate for any good for women or humanity in general if you are an sjw. Sjw are self-indulging in a pretense that they supposedly care about some good to make them-selfs feel important. But in reality all you are if you are an sjw is illogical, unrealistic and destructive.
Nothing is funnier than an sjw claiming the big white knight for women card while turning the eyes away with women getting raped left and right by Muslim gangs because "ma diversity". Now that is truly ironic.
MonadJan 31, 2018 3:25 PM
Jan 31, 2018 3:25 PM

Jun 2011
cageofroses said:
Killaclown said:

You do know you can be more than one thing, right? You can be black and gay, hispanic and bi, etc. Like what you call jamming things into one character is that. People like that exist. When it comes to comics, most of them are legacy characters. There can be more than one person that plays the role and not all of them have be the exact same thing.

Complaining about them hiring minorities and people in the LGBT community to write stories for them is so weird. If they want to expand their characters and said characters' backgrounds, it makes sense to hire people that would actually know what they're talking about. What would you want instead? For them to only hire straight white people for everything? like? From your view point it seems that if anyone is hired at all and they're not straight or white, it's some sort of SJW power move.

I don't watch a lot of the live action super hero tv shows, no. The cartoons were always more my thing. So I can't give any opinion on that unless you wanna give some examples of this 'annoying SJW-shit'.

Not falling into any trap, lol, you guys just get so ruffled by the smallest of things and scream SJW just because you don't like something.
sure you can, but when people are doing it so often and with no subtlety whatsover it kind of becomes a joke where you can just imagine them ticking off boxes, or there talking with their friends "ooh make him handicapped too......wait did i say him?" both "oooooooh", just like its ridiculous when they do that with other things like powers or something, at a certain point it becomes humerous and is far from limited to only being made fun of when sjws do it. And yes they can and have done that with characters, never all at the same time (to this extent) though, and why, when and how they do it are important things that everyone who uses that argument clearly overlooks, though ive already explained how the way they went about it was TERRIBLE (as the sales agree)

nah nah nah dont try and twist my words cathy newman
hiring the best for the job should obviously be the main requirement, and when you change all these characters races and sexuality and even try to see how many points that you can fit into one character you are going to have problems when trying to match it with the writers.... also i would imagine it would put a lot of people out of the job, but hey whats wrong with hiring and firing people based on their race/sex/sexual orientation right?

well its been awhile so i cant give that many examples but for the record i really tried with these 2, left somewhere in the 2nd season of both, at a certain point it just started to feel like a chore. For supergirl i remember in the first episode the boss character was being interviewed and of course the interview her calls her the most powerful woman in the city, which she then corrects to person in the city, which of course i would do to but the writers put that in there for obvious reasons that are so apparent considering how its done and how often. their were a lot with a lesbian character that came out but i can only remember a recent one since it was from the crossover where she has a one night stand with the lesbian from legends of tomorrow and then tells her sister that she feels like such a guy "gross". one of the worst offences has to be supergirls boyfriend who was like a walking example of "toxic masculinity", he even was called "the frat boy of the universe" lol. I wont get into any of the details of legends, ill just say due to the time travel aspect there was soooo much talk about sexism and racism it really felt like class instead of a superhero show... also constant reminders that one of the members was lesbian (and they killed off my fav. character!!!! not related lol)

you were the one that didnt believe that it happened at all just because it didnt happen to you, sounds like the same thing.... hey if i cant complain about people ruining my geeky hobbies then i ask you WTF is the internet for? (besides porn of course) :p
Jan 31, 2018 3:32 PM
Jan 2014
Fantastic writing flawlessly integrated into the work. It's so well done it's like you can't even tell there's an agenda! I hope anime gets writing this good soon.
Jan 31, 2018 3:46 PM

Apr 2012
Monad said:
See the above. You are no advocate for any good for women or humanity in general if you are an sjw. Sjw are self-indulging in a pretense that they supposedly care about some good to make them-selfs feel important. But in reality all you are if you are an sjw is illogical, unrealistic and destructive.
Nothing is funnier than an sjw claiming the big white knight for women card while turning the eyes away with women getting raped left and right by Muslim gangs because "ma diversity". Now that is truly ironic.

hey.... buddy.... I don't know how to tell you this but........... I'm a woman. You do also know that you can be aware of and care about all of these things right? The mention of one does not signify the forgetting of the other.

Like these are completely different topics you're throwing together. I would even comment on the Muslim thing but that was just so completely out of left field and not at all what the thread is about and deserves its own conversation.

I was also more taking note of the fact that Buffy, with its inclusion of what back then would have been considered strong female characters (and lots of them), along with some of its gay characters, definitely would have been called SJW pandering if the term had existed.

Jan 31, 2018 3:47 PM

Jan 2017
LOL cry more please. i swear to god people like you are more annoying than SJWs.
Jan 31, 2018 3:48 PM

May 2009
Monad said:
GlennMagusHarvey said:

Hmm...the fact that you find any issue with an anti-sjw expression having a pic of a female protagonist just shows your and possibly general ignorance of what sjw and what anti-sjw people are or stand for.

The fact that you responded in such a way shows that you couldn't tell I was in fact snarking at you. With reasoning that anti-SJWs have actually rather commonly used -- criticizing things for having female protagonists by alleging that said protagonists were shoehorned in on the basis of their gender.

Since it wasn't clear the first time, I should mention unambiguously that such reasoning is a load of crap.
Jan 31, 2018 4:26 PM

Apr 2012
Killaclown said:
sure you can, but when people are doing it so often and with no subtlety whatsover it kind of becomes a joke where you can just imagine them ticking off boxes, or there talking with their friends "ooh make him handicapped too......wait did i say him?" both "oooooooh", just like its ridiculous when they do that with other things like powers or something, at a certain point it becomes humerous and is far from limited to only being made fun of when sjws do it. And yes they can and have done that with characters, never all at the same time (to this extent) though, and why, when and how they do it are important things that everyone who uses that argument clearly overlooks, though ive already explained how the way they went about it was TERRIBLE (as the sales agree)

nah nah nah dont try and twist my words cathy newman
hiring the best for the job should obviously be the main requirement, and when you change all these characters races and sexuality and even try to see how many points that you can fit into one character you are going to have problems when trying to match it with the writers.... also i would imagine it would put a lot of people out of the job, but hey whats wrong with hiring and firing people based on their race/sex/sexual orientation right?

well its been awhile so i cant give that many examples but for the record i really tried with these 2, left somewhere in the 2nd season of both, at a certain point it just started to feel like a chore. For supergirl i remember in the first episode the boss character was being interviewed and of course the interview her calls her the most powerful woman in the city, which she then corrects to person in the city, which of course i would do to but the writers put that in there for obvious reasons that are so apparent considering how its done and how often. their were a lot with a lesbian character that came out but i can only remember a recent one since it was from the crossover where she has a one night stand with the lesbian from legends of tomorrow and then tells her sister that she feels like such a guy "gross". one of the worst offences has to be supergirls boyfriend who was like a walking example of "toxic masculinity", he even was called "the frat boy of the universe" lol. I wont get into any of the details of legends, ill just say due to the time travel aspect there was soooo much talk about sexism and racism it really felt like class instead of a superhero show... also constant reminders that one of the members was lesbian (and they killed off my fav. character!!!! not related lol)

you were the one that didnt believe that it happened at all just because it didnt happen to you, sounds like the same thing.... hey if i cant complain about people ruining my geeky hobbies then i ask you WTF is the internet for? (besides porn of course) :p

If people wanna make their characters diverse, then, honestly, let them. I really don't see the huge issue. It certainly makes them more interesting, and if there's someone out there that sees the character and is like 'hey this is just like me!' and gets a smile out of it, then all the better. The only bad thing would be if someone, in trying to be inclusive, ended up just making their characters racist caricatures or offensive instead.

Alright but what if these people were the best for the job for what they wanted? Also, again, most of these heroes are legacy characters so it's not like it's the exact same people in the hero role. Different people.

man I don't want to offend you but I can't process or comprehend anything that you wrote in this paragraph about the shows outside of the supergirl's boyfriend part, and now I really wish I'd watched the shows so I could give a better reply and analysis of this.

It's more that I was interested in what exactly some people deem to be SJW antics. Because depending on the person it can range from something like there being a black main character in a piece of media to a character mentioning their sexual orientation during a conversation.

Remember, you can complain, but that's not gonna stop people from complaining about your complaining!

Jan 31, 2018 4:33 PM

May 2009
cageofroses said:
If people wanna make their characters diverse, then, honestly, let them. I really don't see the huge issue. It certainly makes them more interesting, and if there's someone out there that sees the character and is like 'hey this is just like me!' and gets a smile out of it, then all the better. The only bad thing would be if someone, in trying to be inclusive, ended up just making their characters racist caricatures or offensive instead.
Some fans are pretty strongly attached to a particular vision of the work.

I know that feel.

Just that I tend to be in the minority with my opinions on stuff like anime so I guess I'm used to having to acknowledge the fact that my tastes aren't the only tastes in the world.

Still, I can't deny that it's gratifying to rant on the internet about it.

cageofroses said:
Remember, you can complain, but that's not gonna stop people from complaining about your complaining!
it's complaints all the way down~
Jan 31, 2018 4:41 PM

Jun 2008
cageofroses said:
Monad said:

hey.... buddy.... I don't know how to tell you this but........... I'm a woman. You do also know that you can be aware of and care about all of these things right? The mention of one does not signify the forgetting of the other.

Like these are completely different topics you're throwing together. I would even comment on the Muslim thing but that was just so completely out of left field and not at all what the thread is about and deserves its own conversation.

I was also more taking note of the fact that Buffy, with its inclusion of what back then would have been considered strong female characters (and lots of them), along with some of its gay characters, definitely would have been called SJW pandering if the term had existed.

yes, i have released you are a female. why to you think you need to tell me?

It will be called pandering only if the intention was so. There is no issue with the character being anything if that indention is not so.
Also it will be nice if you pondered why the term exist now and not before. Because then we go into the question on "who started it". Who brought this division and hatred?
Who called others names first and started criticizing what they were watching and what they liked and made fashionable the outrage culture?
Cause it sure as hell wasn't any of the people you accuse of using terms you dislike.

GlennMagusHarvey said:
Monad said:

The fact that you responded in such a way shows that you couldn't tell I was in fact snarking at you. With reasoning that anti-SJWs have actually rather commonly used -- criticizing things for having female protagonists by alleging that said protagonists were shoehorned in on the basis of their gender.

Since it wasn't clear the first time, I should mention unambiguously that such reasoning is a load of crap.

Which as i said before shows your unfounded ignorance.
Both on you idea of anti-sjw people view of things and because my answer was clearly an answer to your snarking attempt and yet you failed to detect even that much and actually thought i didn't see it.

And also it is beyond ironic to try to bring on other faults you have in much bigger dosage.
Because if anti-Sjw can object to a role they found as pandering in some occasions then sjw do it about everything ALL THE TIME and for millions of reasons.
Is like the biggest fat guy ever trying make fun of a guy that put a few pounds during the holidays about being overweight. Stop it, is just ridiculous.
You don't criticize the ones that finds fault at everything and criticize the ones that try to stop them from finding faults and trying to change everything? I mean the reason itself that the second group ended forced to criticize some things is because the first group criticizes and wants to change everything to their liking.
Trying to criticize the backslash instead of the initiator is not the correct order of doing things.
Jan 31, 2018 4:49 PM

Apr 2012
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Some fans are pretty strongly attached to a particular vision of the work.

I know that feel.

Just that I tend to be in the minority with my opinions on stuff like anime so I guess I'm used to having to acknowledge the fact that my tastes aren't the only tastes in the world.

Still, I can't deny that it's gratifying to rant on the internet about it.

Oh yeah, I def get it if it's something you've always been used to and got attached to it, but letting other people experiment with franchise can lead to some good things as well!

Hell, comics is such a... interesting subject for people to complain about character-wise since dc and marvel have so many different universes and legacy characters that a well-known character could be represented by literally anyone. Which I feel really opens up the creativity flow.

GlennMagusHarvey said:
it's complaints all the way down~

Haha, no kidding

Jan 31, 2018 4:53 PM

Jun 2011
cageofroses said:

Alright but what if these people were the best for the job for what they wanted? Also, again, most of these heroes are legacy characters so it's not like it's the exact same people in the hero role. Different people.

man I don't want to offend you but I can't process or comprehend anything that you wrote in this paragraph about the shows outside of the supergirl's boyfriend part, and now I really wish I'd watched the shows so I could give a better reply and analysis of this.

It's more that I was interested in what exactly some people deem to be SJW antics. Because depending on the person it can range from something like there being a black main character in a piece of media to a character mentioning their sexual orientation during a conversation.

the issue is that they didnt just make characters, they sidelined everyones favorites to push their agenda, these are freaking geeky fans we are talking about here, you dont fuck with their shit, as an anime fan i would have assumed you would know this. "it certainly makes them more interesting" that is the exact opposite of what happened, they didnt become a racist caricature they became a walking propaganda symbol that was only skin deep, their identity was so tied up in pushing the ideology that they forgot to create an actual character it seems.

that sounds statistically VERY unlikely, and again the work speaks for itself, they weren't. yes they are legacy heroes but you still are ignoring the how, why, and when of changing them.... these are important parts, it doesn't get washed away just because they CAN change them, when did i say they cant?

doesnt matter, you wouldnt agree anyways, you would simply say they have the right and ignore how constantly being preachy doesn't make for good television, i swear its like people have forgotten the importance of subtlety in entertainment. not like you even mentioned anything about the BF anyways, its annoying how often women empowerment seems to include attacking men and male traits (and of course she had to "fix him")

that wasnt a good RANGE example lol, you didnt even add anything that would make you think "ok you may have a point there"

well i wont apologize for complaining, especially when its warranted.... hopefully others will learn from Marvels mistake, i know they did (though they will just try and be better at it unfortunately), they almost didnt learn anything, one of the important people straight up said that the fans dont want diversity (due to the low sales), obviously apologized for that one lol.
Jan 31, 2018 5:25 PM

May 2009
Monad said:
You don't criticize the ones that finds fault at everything and criticize the ones that try to stop them from finding faults and trying to change everything? I mean the reason itself that the second group ended forced to criticize some things is because the first group criticizes and wants to change everything to their liking.
Trying to criticize the backslash instead of the initiator is not the correct order of doing things.

It is when I see far more complaining about "SJWs" than "SJWs" themselves -- far more complaining about people who advocate shoehorned demographic representation than people actually advocating shoehorned demographic respresentation, far more complaining about people who want to remove sexual fanservice from anime than people who actually want to remove sexual fanservice from anime, and so on.
Jan 31, 2018 5:31 PM

Dec 2016
You should read the comments of Citrus episode 1 on Crunchyroll lol
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jan 31, 2018 5:34 PM
Feb 2017
Oh they already have. You should meet my cousin. She loves anime but name any popular show and she'll go on a 10+ minute rant on how sexist and bullshit it is
Jan 31, 2018 6:26 PM

Apr 2012
Monad said:
yes, i have released you are a female. why to you think you need to tell me?

It will be called pandering only if the intention was so. There is no issue with the character being anything if that indention is not so.
Also it will be nice if you pondered why the term exist now and not before. Because then we go into the question on "who started it". Who brought this division and hatred?
Who called others names first and started criticizing what they were watching and what they liked and made fashionable the outrage culture?
Cause it sure as hell wasn't any of the people you accuse of using terms you dislike.

Thought I'd feel the need to remind you since you're complaining about the 'big white knight for women' card when... I'm a woman lol

And news flash, everything is pandering to something. Doesn't make something bad. Buffy itself was made because Whedon wanted to make a movie/show about an empowering woman, and the show had its own metaphors and opinions on men.

The term exists because others wanted something dumb to call people they didn't agree with. Like just try calling someone a Social Justice Warrior in public and see the weird looks you'll get.

And I dunno, I've seen people throw around racial slurs to black actors when they become main characters of a franchise that didn't have main black characters before.

I also didn't know being critical of media you consume was a bad thing but man you sure are teaching me a lot.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Favorite openings of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - 3 hours ago

5 by kusairo »»
9 seconds ago

» Best anime of 2024 so far?

Fukoku - 3 hours ago

19 by deg »»
28 seconds ago

» Saddest Anime Character Deaths

Henrique-Senpai - 4 hours ago

9 by Zarutaku »»
57 seconds ago

» Favorite word

JoeChip - Yesterday

18 by ArpitPatel »»
4 minutes ago

» What cartoon did you come to learn was actually anime

JaniSIr - 8 hours ago

15 by Spunkert »»
14 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.