Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Oct 4, 2017 1:39 PM

Oct 2010
Fantastic first episode. Top tier fight scene animation. I'm not so sure she's actually dead yet. She was all over the promo art, after all. Even if she's revived though necromancy, I think she will still be around.

I honestly expected it to be complete garbage with such a generic plot and crazy character designs. But it was very enjoyable. Can't wait for the real ending theme by actual musicians, Do As Infinity.
Oct 4, 2017 1:44 PM

Dec 2016
Well! I love a good killing game so I guess I found my guilty pleasure for the season. It's probably not going to be anything spectacular but i'm sure it's going to be pretty darn entertaining.

Plus the action/fight scenes are really really well done so far imo. As long as the animation quality remains consistent, I'll be sticking with this one. Apparently my zodiac thing is the year of the rat but while he's sleeping I'll be #teambunny until he inevitably dies.

Anime was the catalyst of my life's downward spiral.
Joining MAL was the nail in my coffin.

Every day I keep screaming into the void,
but god just tells me to shut up.
Oct 4, 2017 3:17 PM

Jul 2017
Reminded me of Mirai Nikki, but hoping that this is better because there ain't no yandere hard-carrying a weak mc named Yuki
Oct 4, 2017 3:18 PM
Jul 2014
I watched the first episode and I give it a 4/10. All edge and no story makes for a very trash story. The episode starts with Inonoshi walking to the Juni Taisen building and gives no explanation whatsoever for 500k missing people, only that it goes across it like we the viewers know but we don't. I'm not a fan of the whole gather all 12 zodiacs in one room for lunch and discuss how everything is gonna work. Not a very good way to start things and comes across in my opinion that they ran out of time and couldn't be more creative in their approach? Its only episode 1 and we already got on info dump about the boars past, but we know nothing about her outside of her family. Also she is hurting herself just using two guns. In the flashbacks, she was way stronger when using hand to hand. The info dump on the first episode was completely not needed and just ate time up. I suppose you could see the boars death coming from a mile away. For a battle royale anime, there was nothing at all this episode that screamed battle royale. It was a talk fest and flashback fest. The combat that did occur was just some one sided anticlimatic bullshit that resulted in the "death" of the boar without her firing a single shot or getting the chance to defend themselves. I feel cheated. So far from what I have watched, it can hardly be called a battle royale anime. You got 12 zodiacs, but other than the boar we know nothing about them. If each episode we are gonna see a 12 minute flashback for every single one, then this anime has already failed. For an anime with such a big named cast, the start of Juuni Taisen is bland and falls flat right on itself. No creativity, no story, bad pacing, character info dumps with no natural or transitional explanations. All it has is edge, and edge without any form of substance is just edge. I will give this one more episode and then I am dropping this.
Oct 4, 2017 3:48 PM

Jun 2013
damn that was a really good first episode
Oct 4, 2017 4:30 PM

Apr 2015
I never thought the boar will be the protagonist so Im okay with her dying. The first episode was just her episode and thats it. There is at least 3 other characters who are more suitable to be the protagonist. Im really curious how this will be handled, cant wait for the next episodes.
Oct 4, 2017 7:53 PM

Jan 2014
Loooooooool, I did think it was weird that she was exclusively getting backstory. That alone raised death flags. It was predictable, but in a good way. I like that it went that direction.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Oct 4, 2017 7:55 PM

Aug 2013
Kind of hoping Boar didn't die right off the bat there.

I'm a biased sucker for any Hikasa Yoko character, so for her to get so much screen time, and to be narrating it so much made me enjoy the episode even more. I liked her character enough that I wouldn't mind if they continued showing a lot of it from her point of view either. As a competitor she's knowledgeable about most of the characters too.

sarroush said:
Good riddance to Boar honestly.

I liked her when she wasn't a grade A jealous bitch who manipulated her sister to kill herself. She was waifu material when she wasn't insane.

To be fair though she went through shit loads of rigorous training and all kinds of traumatic abuse to basically be groomed to follow in her fathers footsteps. And then got fucked over because her crazy little sister had a penchant for killing animals with no remorse and seemed to lack the "mercy" that the father was so disgusted by.
Oct 4, 2017 8:05 PM

Oct 2013
I fucking love battle royale anime, and this show looks like it's going to be a good one. The entire premise of a battle to the death is ruthless, and it would require a peculiar individual to willingly participate in that, so I'm glad that they didn't hold back in the brutality department.

First episode gets a 9/10 from me, but there's still plenty of time for the studio to fuck it up so we'll see how it pans out.
Oct 4, 2017 10:32 PM
Oct 2007
Wow!!! This is a lot cooler than I expected despite the very cliche title!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 4, 2017 11:00 PM

Aug 2014
oh boyyy, its been a good minute since there's been a gory action packed thriller. This season is looking prettttty damn good so far.
Oct 4, 2017 11:16 PM

Jan 2009
the boar died this early when the previous boar was the previous champion
Oct 4, 2017 11:39 PM

Jul 2012
JansenTV said:

It is written by Nisio Isin (The guy who wrote Monogatari, Katanagatari etc) so you can expect great characters. Nisio Isin is known for great characters, anticlimactic endings and tons of dialogue/monologue. Otherall his writing style is rather unique.

Hm, still not expecting much considering what this anime is about and the number of episodes...but hey I like a good surprise!
(Funny tho I didn't like bakemonogatari so lol)

I wonder what papa boar wish was. I mean, he could wish for no more battles or for his familly to always be the wwinne.

Oct 4, 2017 11:51 PM

Jan 2010
Xenocrisi said:
Usage guy is so hot tho...

YASS.

Pretty sure I'm gonna enjoy this one.
Not expecting anything.

Just the bunny guy + mindless action and gore.

But if this turned out to be more than that, then I'm so ready!
Oct 4, 2017 11:57 PM

Nov 2014
It's first episode.. and They killed "Alice" already.. god damn !!!
Oct 5, 2017 1:22 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Good start to the show, in my opinion although I wasn't pleased by the death of the Boar after only she got all the character background. On the other, the godtier twist in the end was one unexpected and intriguing twist, so let's hope this will just be like a one off special kind of an episode and not one that will follow throughout the season. Stunning animation, particularly with the womderful choreographed action sequences, and a perfect setting with the battle royale theme and without a main character also makes this a unique entry to ''tis Fall Season.
Will keep watching!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Oct 5, 2017 1:28 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Fai said:
Skyguardian said:

In which universe was RE:C ever fatelike?
How is this fatelike? Not every battle royale is a Fate copy.

This is literally Zero minus historical servant mumbo jumbo. The whole idea of ~X number of people designated by some sort of class bs and having magical powers gathering into a city to basically murder each other to get a wish fulfilled. It even h as a fake-out prologue like pretty much every fate work(except zero) did.

Recreators also tried that but that show lost itself in its pointless purple prose and writers thought they are smarter than they were. So they shied away from the main draw(the battle royale) to try to be like fate(and fail). What resulted from that was awful dredge of pointless exposition dialogue about how "meta" the show is, that led nowhere and had no point. When your only worthwhile episode that lives up to the setting is RECAP you know its bad.

This on other hand knows exactly what it is and does not shy from battle royale idea. It is not trying to deliver a profound message(so far) and it is not mired in exposition and whatever dialogue is there is okay enough and the narrative knows the genre's main draws.

Agree. Re: Creators became a drag to watch. They completely forgot The ”show, don’t tell rule”

I hope Juni Taisen doesn’t fall into that trap and lives up to what it delivered in this first episode. Oddly enough, the score is pretty low (for MAL standards of course). I suppose the gritty violence hate brigade has started the downvoting as we speak.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Oct 5, 2017 1:43 AM
Nobody

Jul 2013
It was alright first ep.

I found that main woman talking in her head all episode annoying me for some reason. Hoping shes actually dead.
Oct 5, 2017 1:45 AM

Oct 2015
Was going to watch it because of my zodiac being pig :( dayum why so early t.t
Oct 5, 2017 1:50 AM

Dec 2013
Pretty nice start to the series. Didn't expect them to get into the nitty gritty from the off.
And telling Boar's back story just raised a bunch of death flags from the get go there.
HESTIAAPPROVES
Oct 5, 2017 2:27 AM

May 2012
How the hell this is rated only 7.35 ?!

Best 1st episode of the season. It is much brutal and violent than what I thought
Oct 5, 2017 3:12 AM

Feb 2015
A Nissio Issin show to break my sabbatical.Seems legit.

The kind of personality Boar has,those type of individuals tend to die first in anime shows.Props to her for making her sister a successful edgelord.

I have a gut feeling that sleepy looking dude is probably the strongest out of the lot.
laidellentOct 5, 2017 3:19 AM
Oct 5, 2017 3:30 AM

Aug 2013
they give those flashback just to kill her instantly lmao
so.. for what

idk about this show tbh
Oct 5, 2017 4:25 AM

Jul 2015
Omg if this animation and quality can stay consistent that would be freaking WONDERFUL. Such a cool and powerful start like this is... not that rare, and from my own personal experience, it usually doesn't last, but even if they are able to keep just half the quality, that would be excellent.

I like the style of this as well, killing off the girl you'd think was the MC so early but having enough time to explain her backstory and get the battle started. I expect them to focus on the various characters and their backstories through each episode. Also watching someone slowly lose themselves and just become psychotic killing machines until suicide is great. Its so dark and edgy, but not the super stupid kind of dark and edgy, just what I needed for this season.
A Wild and Small Otaku has Appeared!
Oct 5, 2017 4:35 AM

Dec 2014
Okay first episode. Boar was way too confident so I knew things weren't going to go her way, but I'm not convinced yet that she's really dead (the fade out to the ED before it was completely clear). Wouldn't mind if she did die though. (and after Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku backstory followed by death doesn't surprise me anymore.)

I love Okamoto Nobuhiko especially when he voices crazy characters, so that is a plus. The character designs aren't my cup of tea but as long as the story stays interesting it's all good. Can't wait to see how this is going to play out.
Oct 5, 2017 6:01 AM

Oct 2014
I have my reservations with some of the character designs but holy shit this was a great episode. The animation was really good and the little sister suicide scene was VERY well realized. Boar's character was fleshed out excellently in just one episode. I'm not gonna jump the gun because I don't know whether this will be good as it goes on but at least it'll probably be one of the most fun shows this season.
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Oct 5, 2017 6:35 AM
Aug 2017
Todd_ said:
That was ok. The animation was certainly impressive, but that was about it. Hits most of the death game cliches. I hate the personality type of the boar, it's so cringey, so if she dies then good riddance. But I have my doubts that she goes down that easily. Not when an almost entire episode was dedicated to her backstory. Pretty sick what she did to her sister.

The monkey is a cutie, and so is the Rooster. Inb4 the Monkey is pure evil because that shit always happens for some reason; but hopefully not this time.

So isn't there supposed to be a Dragon zodiac? They said all the players were there, but there were only 11 Zodiac. The twins were considered one, the Snake. Guess we'll see.

Not a big fan of gory sadistic shows, so I wonder if I'll last.

One twin is dragon, the other on is snake.
Oct 5, 2017 6:42 AM
Aug 2017
TheServant said:
The animation & cinematography were definitely something. And the inner exposition from the the protagonist was definitely something too, something awful that is. When she's talking, someone else talking. When someone else talking, she's talking. What an awful way to cram exposition.

I am still going to watch the next episode, but probably not for the story & more for the action scenes. Because it seems this anime is going to be a mess of an edgy story without any effort to make proper characterization.

sarroush said:
I liked her when she wasn't a grade A jealous bitch who manipulated her sister to kill herself. She was waifu material when she wasn't insane.

Me too. And her change from normal to crazy was not told that well. I blame the blazing fast backstory. And if she's actually died, then it would be a cherry on top on how awful the writing is.

It is Nisio Isin style so I suggest you get used to it.
Oct 5, 2017 7:06 AM
Jan 2016
Himawari9 said:

Which one do you mean? The bad characterization? The badly-crammed exposition? The edgy story? The less-than-stellar characterization? And by the way, I have watched Katanagatari, none of those exist in that one.

Toa_of_Gallifrey said:
The animation was really good and the little sister suicide scene was VERY well realized. Boar's character was fleshed out excellently in just one episode.

Suicide scene was well-realized? You mean visually well-realized?
Boar character characterization was not properly fleshed out. We got her backstory, but that's just one aspect of characterization. And her backstory had a bad pacing anyway, so it's unfortunate.

DuoraDoll said:
I like the style of this as well, killing off the girl you'd think was the MC so early but having enough time to explain her backstory and get the battle started. I expect them to focus on the various characters and their backstories through each episode. Also watching someone slowly lose themselves and just become psychotic killing machines until suicide is great. Its so dark and edgy, but not the super stupid kind of dark and edgy, just what I needed for this season.

It would be a very nice twist if who we thought would become the protagonist killed off in the first episode, but without proper characterization, that's just not good. It's more for a shock value than properly built-up story.
Again, nice to see a character gets corrupted, but without proper development, meaningless & just bad edgy stuff.
The 1st episode is stupid edgy. It's quite obvious that the original author deliberately made this a stupidly edgy story, because his other work has shown that he knows how to write proper story. In short, the author probably knew this was bad & embracing that badness.
Oct 5, 2017 7:11 AM

Oct 2014
TheServant said:
Himawari9 said:

Which one do you mean? The bad characterization? The badly-crammed exposition? The edgy story? The less-than-stellar characterization? And by the way, I have watched Katanagatari, none of those exist in that one.

Toa_of_Gallifrey said:
The animation was really good and the little sister suicide scene was VERY well realized. Boar's character was fleshed out excellently in just one episode.

Suicide scene was well-realized? You mean visually well-realized?
Boar character characterization was not properly fleshed out. We got her backstory, but that's just one aspect of characterization. And her backstory had a bad pacing anyway, so it's unfortunate.

DuoraDoll said:

It would be a very nice twist if who we thought would become the protagonist killed off in the first episode, but without proper characterization, that's just not good. It's more for a shock value than properly built-up story.
Again, nice to see a character gets corrupted, but without proper development, meaningless & just bad edgy stuff.
The 1st episode is stupid edgy. It's quite obvious that the original author deliberately made this a stupidly edgy story, because his other work has shown that he knows how to write proper story. In short, the author probably knew this was bad & embracing that badness.

I'm focusing on visuals, yes. It's incredibly over-the-top and inane but the way it's directed makes it work.
RainyRai said:

>not appreciating how much of a cunt Asuka is
How disgusting tbh
Oct 5, 2017 7:21 AM
Jan 2016
Toa_of_Gallifrey said:
I'm focusing on visuals, yes. It's incredibly over-the-top and inane but the way it's directed makes it work.

I would even say the whole 1st episode was really good in term of visuals. No doubt.
Oct 5, 2017 7:21 AM

Jun 2016
LOL ,and I got attached to the boar and she died just like that. oh shit.
Oct 5, 2017 7:40 AM

Sep 2016
cool.... better action than recreators and fate/a already
so... any reason to continue now the best hot blonde bitch already dead?
also who the fuck translate 12 as "juni". does the translator even finish genki book for grade schooler? sakura quest translator?
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Oct 5, 2017 8:21 AM

Feb 2014
I'm waiting for the twist to happen, coz if Boar dies on a single episode then this ain't funny!
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Oct 5, 2017 9:22 AM
Oct 2017
How can i like the sleeping rat? I think, he's hiding his power there ! Huu
Oct 5, 2017 11:03 AM

Jul 2013
i don't know how to feel about this.

it was a pretty decent episode overall, but i think i'm going to need one more episode to make up my mind on whether to stick with it or not...

i fear that it'll bring me the same disappointment that re:creators did: start strong and then end averagely.
Oct 5, 2017 11:05 AM

Jan 2015
this looks like it could be pretty great. the action is so fast paced and fun to watch. i'm in yo
Oct 5, 2017 11:43 AM

Mar 2017
So...who is the Main Character?
Oct 5, 2017 11:51 AM

Feb 2016
danangafnan said:

There's no MC. Or they're all, it's the same
Oct 5, 2017 12:25 PM
Dec 2014
Excellent!

MOARRR!
Oct 5, 2017 12:28 PM

Aug 2012
Simple story but the action was great 5/5

I already expect Boar is gonna failed because she imagine how to kill that Usagi

Hoping to see longer fight in the near future
Oct 5, 2017 1:37 PM
May 2016
After the disappointment that was re:creators it's good to see an actually interesting ensemble cast+battle royale. And no boring/annoying "mcs" to take screentime from them. I'm sure a lot of expectations will be subverted in good and bad ways because Nisio, but at least it won't be boring.
Oct 5, 2017 1:46 PM

Jun 2014
Looks like someone wasn't ready to get attacked at any time from any angle.
I hope she stays dead. Anything else would feel like plot armor and would undermine the impact of every upcomming death.
She can still join the fight as a mindless zombie, but that's about it.
Oct 5, 2017 2:13 PM

Jul 2016
it's an alright first episode, nothing lacking but my attention hasn't been grabbed yet. confused about the brother not reacting all too much to his other brother's death? had my eyes on nezumi from the start so i hope he turns out to be a good character. i like saru as well.
also.. what is with the usagi's character design? seriously? nearly naked, on muscle steroids with that kind of risque outfit lmfao
Oct 5, 2017 4:48 PM

Apr 2011
danangafnan said:

the one who is going to win in the end

assuming there is going to be one
Oct 5, 2017 7:19 PM
Jun 2016
I think the animation is amazing and the character building was really well-done without any info dumps or excessive information. I hope it can keep my attention by coming up with interesting backstories and twists for the other characters.
Oct 6, 2017 2:36 AM

Apr 2011
Came into this not expecting much but came away pretty happy. Didn't really look into the series and I'm pleasantly surprised by the star-talent in the voice acting department. The animation looks great and art style seems unique. I haven't looked into the creation of the series but, am I the only one who thinks this is entirely 3DCG with a filter over it to make it look like more traditional 2D animation? Would explain the overall style (and consequently the "hiccups" in animation) as well as the smoothness of certain scenes, imo.
Oct 6, 2017 3:00 AM

Jul 2013
Usagi at the end was dope, fuck the boar.
Oct 6, 2017 4:47 AM

Aug 2015
A bit predictible but quite entertaining. Let's see who wins this Battle Royale.
Oct 6, 2017 6:32 AM

Jan 2017
Fuck them fuck them fuck them
From a 9/10 to a 3/10 just because they made her die in the first fucking el
If it appear that she didn'the die later I will give this Anime a 9/10 again if she actually died fuck them the score may become a nine again even if she actually died but that will probably not happen :(

Fuck you bunny and fuck you Monkey.

I won't rate this Anime after watching this ep I will wait to see if she died or not

If boar actually died fuck the author if she didn't well I will give the author an award for making an Anime and an anime character that had so much impact on me

If she died after they showed us all of those things it will be like a message and it will be kinda realistic to be honest
AkerakaaaaiOct 6, 2017 7:00 AM
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

» Should I avoid watching the ED until after I've finished the series?

Jax - Jan 22

4 by StarlightShiba »»
Jan 31, 7:01 AM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2017

211 by Stuntdrath »»
Dec 27, 2023 5:04 PM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 7, 2017

197 by Bakunoaato »»
Jul 28, 2023 7:28 AM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 31, 2017

112 by Bakunoaato »»
Jul 28, 2023 6:41 AM

Poll: » Juuni Taisen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 10, 2017

222 by Bakunoaato »»
Jul 28, 2023 5:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.