Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 4 Discussion

WorldEnd: What Do You Do at the End of the World? Are You Busy? Will You Save Us?
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 2, 2017 1:32 PM

Nov 2016
Dat hug was really heartwarming, but the obligatory tsundere slap wasn't really necessary tho.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 2, 2017 1:42 PM

Dec 2013
Reading comments I thought the slap scene was worse, but it actually made me smile, I didn't find it "strange" as in other anime.

Anyway, another excellent episode !
What do you think about the planetarium? That beautiful twinkling of eternity that will never fade, no matter when....
May 2, 2017 1:43 PM

Apr 2016
Butter cake flag destroyed apparently (they still must bake and eat it)! Premonitory dream with water dropping on a rainy day flag destroyed! All good!

The bartender joke and the ending with the cliché slap weren't so funny but the most important is they are alive, nephren too and the city sightseeing was fun :)
May 2, 2017 1:44 PM

May 2015
Why are people complaining over a slap?

May 2, 2017 1:44 PM

Jul 2014

Thanks for the explanation. The part about how the guild controls the weapons does explain stuff.

Though him not knowing about the rank doesn't really negate that he has it and the authority that comes with it. And the job not being liked also doesn't change the fact that he can access the swords and affect their wielders all the while being the last remnant of the lost race that made the swords and created the need for them in the first place (according to the lore so far), which isn't something that makes you think about stability, being easily accepted by the fairies or faithfullness to their course. Important military bases usually require background and psychological checks.
May 2, 2017 1:46 PM

Dec 2014
Fai said:

Anathor said:

It was cut from the anime but he was bluffing. He doesn't know how much authority his rank gives him

It was pretty clear that he was bluffing tho in the way he handled himself in that scene. He points to the shoulder patch indicating rank in an unsure tone and only after the soldier reacts the way he does, does Willem regain composure and ask about it in firmer tone.

He seemed awfully confident when he said it tho.
Knowing what he was thinking I can't say if others noticed it, without being able to outright read it; so just cleard the doubt.

@deadoptimist Won't say that everything makes sense, however some stuff you will see it later on. Nygglatho is still there in the warehouse, so the fairies are not left alone with the army dudes. She is still an orc, and as you saw with the bartender today people do fear her. The faries themselves scare people away. Both due to their nature and their powers.
AnathorMay 2, 2017 1:58 PM
May 2, 2017 1:52 PM

Sep 2014
Very good wrap-up. That saved the episode for me, because the sightseeing and the appointment were slow and somewhat boring, at least for the most part.

On a side note, this MC is crazy fast. This guy must be a discipline of Corvo Atano or something, because damn.
May 2, 2017 1:55 PM

Dec 2016
That part just killed me

Also, how does his rank so damn high?

shit!! he got me! that fucking Poly
boomed me! he's so good! (x4)
May 2, 2017 2:00 PM

Jul 2014
Anathor said:
@deadoptimist Won't say that everything makes sense, however some stuff you will see it later on. Nygglatho is still there in the warehouse, so the fairies are not left alone with the army dudes. She is still an orc, and as you saw with the bartender today people do fear her.

Look forward to it. And hope to see Nygglatho in her battle mode. Though Willem is a former yuusha with an experience of wielding one of the op swords, so he should be able to beat her, well, logically, if they thought about it.
May 2, 2017 2:04 PM

Sep 2015
man what a rollercoaster of emotions. It starts out depressing with his nightmares. Then all cute but with a sad undertone nonetheless with Tiat. Cute lolis. This show have the best lolis in history of anime. Which makes it so much more sad.

And then the operation failed but they survived? Going to need clarifications next episode. But it is amazing how in a few episode(got to like all of them after the first 2 episode tbh) I got to really like the cast and it works so well with the tragic circumstance they are in.
Most animes can't do this so quickly. So really bravo. I love this. Honestly it is the highlight oft he season.
TBH I was expecting Alice to Zoroku to be the family anime(before this season started) that I would get all emotional over but nope. This one takes the cake.

And on the topic of cakes he better of had made it.
And since the slap was brought up by others. yea i didn't think that was a good way to end it. I kind of see why they put it there? But I don't think it entirely fit very well and a bit overused tbh. I more heartwarming response would of been better.
May 2, 2017 2:08 PM

May 2015
Pretty touching moment at the end, so glad that they made it back alive!

Great episode.

May 2, 2017 2:51 PM

Jul 2013
Meh, I expected deaths. I got baited hard.
May 2, 2017 3:44 PM

Oct 2014
Illyricus said:
Meh, I expected deaths. I got baited hard.

Its the point of the series. You never know when someone is gonna kick the bucket just like Willem himself didn't know.
May 2, 2017 4:25 PM

Dec 2016
A lot of people are afraid of Nygglatho lol, really want to know what she did to get the eating everyone reputation.

Interested to learn more about this tuning that Tiat is going through, might learn more about it next episode.

Thank goodness they all returned alive, feared the worst when I heard the mission failed.

That was one hell of a hug he gave her, he got to Chtholly using with Sonic the Hedgehog speed.
May 2, 2017 5:21 PM
Dec 2014
I like the Org Doctor he seems like a cool dude so far these monsters just look scary but are nice on the inside :) I like characters like that.
May 2, 2017 6:03 PM

Dec 2014
Wasn't particularly surprised they made it back alive, but it did still feel good to see the older kids. The first half was kind of a snooze-fest though.
I need sleep.
May 2, 2017 6:52 PM

Dec 2014
wilhelm showing a glimpse of his power...hope to see him in berserk mode

May 2, 2017 7:01 PM

Apr 2014
You could say, he's fast as fuck boi...

May 2, 2017 7:18 PM
Jan 2017
Holy fuck! Seeing Willem shocked like that was very sad; good thing the girls made it back. The scenes with Tiat were very sweet and I also appreciated all the world-building used in this episode. The music was beautiful and the voice performances were amazing.
May 2, 2017 7:43 PM

Jan 2016
Glad to see the girls are still alive and Chtholly you know you want that hug girl..
May 2, 2017 8:32 PM

Feb 2017

I want to say that this episode was rather good but, for me, the pacing seemed a little off.

Anyways. I get that Willen is extremely preoccupied for the three girls that went to battle, especially for Chtholly, and his reaction at the end of the episode is only natural (the thing that it's not natural at all is his speed, damn!). Nevertheless, I got more invested with Tiat and her plot line. Again, she's just a little kid, but she's so eager to be all grown up in order to be a soldier/fighter like Chtholly. And she just has this heroine crush that makes her so happy, while Willen is witness of how the war is going to destroy this child's life.
May 2, 2017 9:50 PM
Apr 2017
4 episodes already
and we didn't see the main villain "yet"
Is the villain is that big thing in willem flashback?
Btw pretty good episode, just like usual
Have potential for being AOTS though
May 2, 2017 10:03 PM

Jul 2007
darksidemlz said:
4 episodes already
and we didn't see the main villain "yet"
Is the villain is that big thing in willem flashback?

ITs not an action show so why should it have a main villain?
May 2, 2017 10:44 PM

Apr 2015
Personally, I think Willem deserved the slap. He jumped in out of nowhere, didn't even ask, and wouldn't let go. I would've slapped him too.
May 3, 2017 12:08 AM

Mar 2016
With the dream and the news of failure in battle my heart sunk with Willem at the thought of losing the girls but seeing them was a happy moment at the end! We are really starting to get the feeling of how deeply Willem cares for these girls and I can't wait to see the relationships develop more and more as time goes on
I shall rule over the realms of anime and manga! Mwahhahahahaha!!!
May 3, 2017 12:13 AM

May 2015
It's not often that we see a story that shows what happens at home rather than on the battlefield. Great worldbuilding, and I was completely sucked in. I was honestly really tense throughout the entire episode, waiting for the result of the battle. Imagine waiting for someone you care about to come home from battle, only to learn that they failed. That's devastating...

As for the slap? Eh, I'll let it pass. Chtholly did just come back from battle, so she's probably still recovering from the fight. Willem gives her the lightning-quick hug, and Chtholly gets shocked. The slap was probably a message to Willem to give her some space.

I also love how this anime makes you look in the perspective of each of the characters. Willem learns that the battle was a failure. What is he feeling right now? Chtholly just came back from battle. What is she feeling right now? It doesn't really need to explain it. You have to empathize with them, and that makes the impact even greater when you realize it. This is something that I really appreciate about this anime.

Good job Satelight. Keep it up!
TarotistMay 3, 2017 12:22 AM
May 3, 2017 12:19 AM

Aug 2013
Great episode, I get really excited about this plot, but I'm also very excited about the characters, Willem shows an affection above the expectations for the girls, also shows great potential for combat too, I want to see how he will act from now on, after this brief suffering when separating from the girls.

In addition to the older girls, also is need to think of the younger ones that can go to the battlefield, I hope to see a different approach for these girls, and great development for this anime, my expectations are high ..
May 3, 2017 1:00 AM

May 2015
That slap lol a very tsundere action indeed. Not much to say though this episode feels like the calm before the storm. We'll have to see.
May 3, 2017 2:03 AM
Sep 2015
Heartwarming reunion between Willem and the girls. It's pretty amusing to watch him interact with them. And Tiat was sure cute this episode.

Overall, though, still not sure what to make of this series so far. It's got me tuning in each week, but everything just seems a bit bland and uninspired, especially the connections between characters.
Sandwich-donoMay 3, 2017 2:14 AM
May 3, 2017 2:15 AM
Jan 2016
Awesome episode, absolutly amazing
May 3, 2017 2:37 AM

Jun 2016
interesting episode

00.00- 16.00 : cute thing
16.00- 18.00 : drop jaws
18.00- end the show : whuuu THEY save. for now

and willem is the fastest man in the show ( that jump hug XD )
May 3, 2017 2:56 AM
Apr 2017
Next episode and please see romance haha
May 3, 2017 2:56 AM
Apr 2017
DragonSlayer_19 said:
Just why Satelight ? Kutori never slapped willem after their reunion .
They're really pushing the tsundere moves over kutori when she's actually not one herself . I mean in the LN she was embarrassed and that's very understandable, but she never slapped him and that was unneeded imo.
I'm a bit bothered also they disregarded the true ending of volume 1, but that may be due to not adapting vol 4 which is related to that ending.
Well otherwise, it was a pretty decent episode.

It's in the light novel, probably translation error or translator missed it...it's proven by some people that original light novel did mention the slap. I read both chinese and english translation and it's in there tho.
May 3, 2017 4:53 AM

Dec 2013
So here's the question.
The girls will have some sort of prophetic dream which indicates to everyone that they are fit to use the dug weapons? And once they have said dream, they are ferried over to the big city for checkups and "tuning"? So what does this tuning entail? Do they suddenly get upgraded from tweens to teens or something? Or is it some sort of internal adjustment that happens that you cannot really see?

Also, can someone explain what happened when they said that the mission to defend Area 15 or whatever failed? How is it that the girls who were suppose to be on the front line managed to still survive? Shouldn't they be the ones trying to hold off the threat?

Things look alright now, but we all know that the tragedy is right around the corner. Lets see what happens next after this..
HESTIAAPPROVES
May 3, 2017 5:14 AM

Mar 2016
L-Ryoshi said:
So here's the question.
The girls will have some sort of prophetic dream which indicates to everyone that they are fit to use the dug weapons? And once they have said dream, they are ferried over to the big city for checkups and "tuning"? So what does this tuning entail? Do they suddenly get upgraded from tweens to teens or something? Or is it some sort of internal adjustment that happens that you cannot really see?

Also, can someone explain what happened when they said that the mission to defend Area 15 or whatever failed? How is it that the girls who were suppose to be on the front line managed to still survive? Shouldn't they be the ones trying to hold off the threat?

Things look alright now, but we all know that the tragedy is right around the corner. Lets see what happens next after this..

What happened on island 15 will be revealed soon enough maybe not next episode but the one after it.
The dream is like an omen. Seeing themselves in a different place talking to a certain someone. That is their predecessor most likely. Once they have that dream, they bring them in for a checkup and assess their compatibility with the dug weapons. It's not a physical adjustment since Willem teased Tiat telling her she won't get taller lol.
May 3, 2017 6:05 AM

Oct 2016
AAAAAAAAA!! The hug was too adorable and heartwarming! <3

I'm really glad that no one died! I was so sure that they died because of the amount of death flags last episodes...

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

May 3, 2017 8:02 AM

Dec 2014
I am happy that the girls are alive...but did they shrink or something
May 3, 2017 8:07 AM

Feb 2008
At least they made it back safely. Sightseeing with Tiat was also fairly amusing, she definitely loves lizards...
May 3, 2017 9:04 AM
Mar 2015
This episode was very heart rending. Having nightmares about the girls dying. Even taking the little girl for her physical he realizes that soon even the cute little girl will become a soldier and face death. The worse part was when he thought that the girls had died. When he saw them he could not wait to get to them and would not let go of them
May 3, 2017 9:06 AM

Jul 2016
Felt bad for Wilhelm, already lost his love ones, then gonna experience another lost. This got really extremely feared him. Damn that dash was so fast. I'm quite enjoying the shifting of mood and atmosphere.
May 3, 2017 10:22 AM

Oct 2015
Damn that one warm hug, happy to see that they survived. But the next one is definitely gonna blow :o
May 3, 2017 11:31 AM

Mar 2017
HecticLeo said:
Does it make anyone else mad that he didn't hug the other two as well?

Me too, all of them deserve to be loved. And the slap in the end was unnecessary.
May 3, 2017 12:31 PM

May 2016
I'm going to have to be honest here.

The ending of this episode felt really over exaggerated and rather out of character for Willem. I mean yes, I get that that he's gotten attached to these girls in the short time he's been with them, especially Cntholly, and I'd be pretty torn up too if one of them had died but honestly, what did he expect? That all of them would return without a scratch and all happy smiles?

Willem was a soldier in his past life. He of all people should know the risk of going to war and never coming back because of being killed in battle. Now I understand that he feels a great sense of guilt being the very last human being in the world and how he wasn't able to keep his promise to those he cared about going to battle but honestly that's not an excuse.

It's his job to both raise and train these girls to become soldiers because that's what they're created for. You can get close to them sure but get too close to them and you'll end up making a mistake you can never undo.

In the end, I understand that Satelight is trying to get the audience involved through emotional impact but there were better ways to do it with Willem's character's. Had he'd been anyone else, then yeah I would buy his reaction. A real soldier would have kept his emotions to himself. Willem should have should have relief yet proud that his girls had made it back safely without injury thanks to his guidance, not breaking down crying and hugging Cntholly as he did here.
"You talk too much. Think too much."
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"If you're not going to be nice to me, don't expect me to be nice to you."
"I'm a soldier, not a superhero. Don't ever think of me as one."
"The world doesn't revolve around you. Get that through your thick skull."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
"You want something go get it. Period."
May 3, 2017 1:25 PM

Oct 2014
DirectorK said:
I'm going to have to be honest here.

The ending of this episode felt really over exaggerated and rather out of character for Willem. I mean yes, I get that that he's gotten attached to these girls in the short time he's been with them, especially Cntholly, and I'd be pretty torn up too if one of them had died but honestly, what did he expect? That all of them would return without a scratch and all happy smiles?

Willem was a soldier in his past life. He of all people should know the risk of going to war and never coming back because of being killed in battle. Now I understand that he feels a great sense of guilt being the very last human being in the world and how he wasn't able to keep his promise to those he cared about going to battle but honestly that's not an excuse.

It's his job to both raise and train these girls to become soldiers because that's what they're created for. You can get close to them sure but get too close to them and you'll end up making a mistake you can never undo.

In the end, I understand that Satelight is trying to get the audience involved through emotional impact but there were better ways to do it with Willem's character's. Had he'd been anyone else, then yeah I would buy his reaction. A real soldier would have kept his emotions to himself. Willem should have should have relief yet proud that his girls had made it back safely without injury thanks to his guidance, not breaking down crying and hugging Cntholly as he did here.

The whole point behind the scene is that they were gone for an entire month, with no communication back to the warehouse, and Ithea even states that they should have made contanct a while before they got back home. Thats what caused Willem to freak out when he heard that Island 15's defense failed.

Next ep preview shows he's not happy with Chtholly slapping him, either.
May 3, 2017 3:55 PM

Mar 2013
Poor Willem's heart almost stopped. And he showed some of his power :0
I'll squeeze you to death! Death by hugs
May 3, 2017 4:28 PM

Jan 2017
A great episode. Though, I found the ending a bit too constructed. So everyone was worried about the news of the battle at island 15. Nobody knew anything about survivors. And then they walked in only several seconds later? (or did Willem keep that dog lady worrying about him in the rain for hours?)

But anyway, it wasn't too bad a thing. And of course, it helped emphasize that roller coaster of emotions Willem must have been on when learning about the battle's outcome and then suddenly hearing their voices.

As for the slap, the much I hated it after seeing it happen the much he deserved it. Wasn't he the one rejecting Chtolly's approach on him as childish (when she asked him whether or not he'd be nicer to her if she had only days to live)? And now he shows the same childlike, rushed behavior towards her, regardless of it being totally understandable. I don't think it is tsundere behavior, it is just her own ongoing confusion about the change Willem induced in her since he became part of her world.
May 3, 2017 4:54 PM

May 2016
AsuraDestructor said:
The whole point behind the scene is that they were gone for an entire month, with no communication back to the warehouse, and Ithea even states that they should have made contanct a while before they got back home. Thats what caused Willem to freak out when he heard that Island 15's defense failed.

That still doesn't excuse his behavior. In any military operation things can, and always will, go wrong at any given moment. You're a leader of these of girls and they need have someone to look up to, especially when their time comes to go into battle. Willem's emotional outcast was both uncharacteristic and, military wise, unacceptable.
"I don't care how justified you think your reasons are. I won't tolerate liars or thieves."
"People who live by their emotions go nowhere in their lives. They only find misery.
"If you don't like the way your life is than do something about it instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself."
May 3, 2017 5:15 PM

Oct 2016
DirectorK said:
That still doesn't excuse his behavior. In any military operation things can, and always will, go wrong at any given moment. You're a leader of these of girls and they need have someone to look up to, especially when their time comes to go into battle. Willem's emotional outcast was both uncharacteristic and, military wise, unacceptable.

You should realize he's not a real soldier and he'd only gotten the empty title of Second Technician through connections (namely, Grick and Nygglatho). He's formerly a quasi brave but that's different from being in the military, and he's very much aware of that fact when he signed up for this job.
May 3, 2017 5:23 PM

Sep 2013
Tiat is the most adorable thing this season has to offer. I'm drawing a blank on who is more moe than her to be honest.

Glad to see the girls return home and that was a nice reunion after Willem thought they died. He's usually so level headed and calm around everyone so to see him react this way was very nice.

May 3, 2017 5:38 PM

May 2016
Germs_N_Spices said:
You should realize he's not a real soldier and he'd only gotten the empty title of Second Technician through connections (namely, Grick and Nygglatho). He's formerly a quasi brave but that's different from being in the military, and he's very much aware of that fact when he signed up for this job.

And yet he still fought those very same monsters that the girls are fighting in his past life. We all saw that he did before he was frozen. Therefore he should know exactly what these girls are going through and will be going through as the others get older.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2017

463 by burjl14 »»
Oct 15, 9:50 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2017

268 by 2ndKnight »»
Jun 18, 1:48 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 9, 2017

163 by DELLspencer »»
Jun 13, 8:49 AM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2017

133 by toralbabs »»
Nov 6, 2023 7:11 PM

Poll: » Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii desu ka? Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2017

148 by toralbabs »»
Nov 6, 2023 6:34 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.