Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Interviews with Monster Girls
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jan 8, 2017 12:58 PM
Mar 2016
The first episode of this show felt really refreshing and a great way to start this season. I was a bit nervous, mainly because this genre can be done poorly (Rosario to Vampire).

And oh my god, Hikari's voice is just perfect. I swore she sounded like Hatoko from Inou-Battle wa Nichijou-kei no Naka de. Am I the only one?
Jan 8, 2017 1:24 PM
Nov 2016
Fai said:
People trying to compare this to trash like monmusu literally are making me depressed. there are literally zero similarities.

I agree with you there, literally the only similarities is that it has the same kind of monster girls living with humans setting, everything else is different. Hell, even the monster girls seem to have a different kind of variety, since it's less focused on animal and human mix girls and more focused on the classical demi-humans.

Fai said:
So far way too light-hearted and comedy focused. Does not seem to capture the more somber surreal tone of the manga. A LOT of rearranged stuff in the first episode for maximum trope-ness too...A lot of the social messages and themes in terms of psychology, adolescence, etc seem to be toned down.

I mean if this was done properly the whole first episode WOULD have been the interview. But the additions and alterations and swapping material from further along into this do not really make sense.

And what of the interview IS there lacks style needed for it to work as the director is clearly struggling(or maybe not interested) in portraying those things.
As a result this almost feels like a completely different product than the manga was :[
I can only hope the Centaur manga won't be as badly handled in form of adaptation.

6/10 at best so far. I am afraid at how they will handle the things that come after the first chapter. Because subtle or well handled this was not and the further along manga handles a LOT of touchy and problematic subjects from our society. I literally can't imagine this tone working for

As I haven't read the manga, I feel like I should point out the difference between this being a good adaptation and a good anime. IMO this is an amazing start on its own without having read the manga, and if the first episode had just been the interview for the entire episode, it wouldn't have worked nearly as well.

As far as I'm concerned, this was a great first episode and a good jumping off point to get into the other tones you mentioned in your post, which I have a feeling that the director wants to gradually take a more somber tone, as that has been the case with a lot of modern anime in the past couple of years; start off with a nice lighthearted, even comedic tone to pull in the viewers before setting the drama loose.
Jan 8, 2017 1:49 PM

Nov 2009
So good. I now have an addiction to cute monsters doing cute things
Jan 8, 2017 2:46 PM

Nov 2015
Very charming and funny first episode.
It's nice to see something individual again.
Definitely will stick to this anime.

4/5
Jan 8, 2017 3:32 PM

Dec 2014
Well, that was a surprise. Here I thought it was going to be a raunchy comedy like some other monster series, but this I can totally stick with.

Characters are all definitely fun.
I need sleep.
Jan 8, 2017 3:41 PM
Dec 2013
So light hearted, so cute, it just gives me a warm, fluffy feeling when watching it. I hope it doesn't go down the ecchi route (a few bits here and there are okay), because I really like how its trying to show how Demi girls live, rather than showing their... 'assets'
Jan 8, 2017 6:28 PM

Jul 2010
I'll rate this episode Macchi/5. Best girl.
“Are there some unseen roles that we have unknowingly set ourselves into, dictating the rules of engagement whenever we see each other, inevitably leading to us hurting each other?”
Jan 8, 2017 6:57 PM

Sep 2013
Holy shit. All these girls are adorable as hell! I just wanna hug all of them! hehe.

Hikari is definitely my favorite. She's just all over the place in a very cute way. The sounds she makes is also pretty funny as well and her over the top reactions are great.

4/5- Great premiere episode with a good bit of comedy. I like the introduction to the demis that they are practically part of society. Sensei seems like a cool guy. Hikari entertained me a great deal and she is so fun! I look forward to seeing her more.

Jan 8, 2017 7:37 PM

Jan 2008
If cute girls doing cute things wasn't enough, they make them all monster girls. I liked the interactions between the teacher and Hikari, it was amusing. Doesn't look like we'll get any more monster girls from the opening but I hope they at least show some more even if side characters.
Jan 8, 2017 9:43 PM

Oct 2012
What a pleasant surprise. Color me intrigued. I really like the girls, their interactions with each other and the biology teacher. Especially liked the analogy between vampires that don't drink blood and vegetarians.
Jan 9, 2017 1:16 AM

Dec 2014
at first i wasn't expecting anything from this show. i'm just randomly downloading this show and found out that it was interesting. the first episode is quite good, filled up with cute girls and the sensei is good person too. i love the first episode so far.
Watch aria the animation and it's sequel.
Jan 9, 2017 2:00 AM

May 2013
Finally, an anime that I think I can thoroughly enjoy. It's been a while since I've watched an anime I immediately like from the start. If the following episodes are like the first (which, unfortunately, I don't think they will) then I'd say this has the potential to be my favorite anime of the season.
Insert philosophical quote or exceptional picture here.
Jan 9, 2017 3:08 AM

Nov 2011
nobody tried interviewing Demis before?
Are there any fansub groups picking this?
So far the best this season but this season seems to be shit so that's not saying much.
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Jan 9, 2017 4:48 AM

Apr 2015
The Episode Was Amazing.The Opening Was Superb And The Characters Are So Cute...:)
Jan 9, 2017 5:47 AM

Apr 2011
Is it really a good idea for a succubus to be a teacher? She even knows that she can't be near lots of people. Also, I think covering up just makes her more "seductive". Just saiyan'.

All in all, this was a better first episode than most of the stuff I've seen this season so far which, admittedly, isn't that much (yet). Also, that ending song was amazing.
Jan 9, 2017 5:54 AM
Jan 2016
Fai said:
Story literally starts just with Hikari(and a lengthy and quite interesting dialogue between her and MC about vampires that explains a lot about personality). The MC is not even supposed to interact with any of other demis till after that(beyond seeing them maybe from afar). Altering that literally destroys the punchline of the first chapters.

Aside from him trying to (and failing) to approach Sakie, the first episode still has him really only talking with Hikari. How does this destroy the punchline?

The additional scenes also clash quite a bit with characterization - Hikari is not supposed to be THIS CHEERY till at least she opens up more and feels more safe to talk about stuff or be THIS FRIENDLY yet as a lot of it should come off naturally with what happens over course of story.

In the first chapter Hikari's literally at max cheerfulness and friendliness as soon as she hears Takahashi is happy to have met demis. If anything the anime has made her personality more consistent by establishing that's what she's like all the time, rather than going from kinda upbeat to hyper cheerful after one compliment.

I don't think it makes sense for her character to be THAT friendly with dullahan till Dullahan interview considering Hikari's behavior in that part literally clashes with this as a lot of Hikari's behavior in that part of story can only be classified as "mean".

It makes perfect sense. Machi suddenly shows up out of the blue in chapter 4 and near the end Hikari runs off to tease them, nobody does that to complete strangers unless they're a sociopath; it's clear that Machi and Hikari are already friends by that point, the anime just clarifies how they become friends, how Machi learns she can consult with Takahashi about her situation, and furthermore it shows the audience her dilemma rather than just have her tell it.

I think you might have to revisit the manga, the anime isn't as divergent from the source material as you're making it out to be.
Jan 9, 2017 6:54 AM

Nov 2009
ernst said:
nobody tried interviewing Demis before?

It seems that some traits of Demis are public knowledge (like vampires getting blood packs from the government), at least for people as interested in the topic as the teacher, but others are not.
Maybe it's the paywall, maybe it's the language barrier (that is, the only interviews available might be in French, and nobody bothered to translate them to Japanese).
Overall, it's surprising how many things we do not know even in the real world.

ernst said:
Are there any fansub groups picking this?

AniDB says that besides HorribleSubs, a group named NotAjin is subbing this anime. Which is apparently an alias of a group named Glue.
Jan 9, 2017 9:32 AM

Aug 2012
So refreshing to watch.

Jan 9, 2017 12:43 PM

Nov 2010
Episode 1 : Ch. 1-3

HAHAHA. This is so cute so far. The opening theme is nice. He's a teacher who's interested in learning about ajins. The beginning opens up with Takahasi and another teacher talking while the boss tells the instructors that there will be a new teacher. Sato. A math teacher. She's a succubus. OOOOH.
SATO-SENSEI IS SO CUTE. Is she afraid of---yes. She's ---HAHAHHA. OMG> HER VOICE. I LOVE HER. She dresses this way and tries to refrain from approaching others because of who she is. HAHA. She's just avoiding him at all costs.
HHAHAH. OMGGG. This anime.Takanashi has got that preppy, rich-girl laughter down. She's so animated. I love her, too. BAHAHAHA. Takanashi brings Takanhashi around to an injured student and he finds that the student is a dullahan. OHHH. A Yuki Onna is a snow woman. I was wondering what that was.
AHHH. MEETING ADORABLE LITTLE TAKANASHI HIMARI. She seems to be human. Yeah. They just confirmed it.OH, WE GET TO MEET THE DULLAHAN. She's so cute. Just reasting her head on the pillow. Looks like the Dullahan is trying to make some friends but the black-haired girl is doing her best not to seem freaked out.
Now in a classroom, the Takas are speaking to each other and comparing their vampire knowledge. HAHAHA. She loves garlic, thinks crosses are so middle-school, and would probably die from a stake at the heart. Probably.
So Takanashi thinks about drinking the Yuki Onna. Awww. It's something like sexual desire to them. At least she has restraint. THEN SHE JOKES ABOUT BITING HIM. HAHA.
Oh, her head and body are pretty much different beings. oh. well. Hikari is so adorable for being so polite to Machi.She's so nice to be able to help Takahashi, too. He's going to get his dream of interviewing all of these demi's. omg. i love this teacher.
I'm going to go ahead and count Chapter 3 because, in the manga, that's when we met the sister.
omggg. the ending song is so niceee.
Jan 9, 2017 6:29 PM

Aug 2013
Need to catch up with the rest, but so far it was easily within the 3 best episode one this season.
Jan 9, 2017 7:12 PM

Oct 2011
Learned a lot about hikari in that interview. Yay Celty....Machii is next
Jan 9, 2017 7:25 PM

Jun 2015
This is cute. It warmed my dead heart up for 24 minutes.
Jan 9, 2017 7:29 PM

Aug 2015
That was really cute. It seems this show doesn't rely on over the top fanservice to entertain the viewer so I think I'll continue watching.
Jan 9, 2017 7:59 PM

May 2015
heartwarmimg for some reason
Jan 9, 2017 8:53 PM
Jan 2017
Great start, very interested in this series. The dialogue felt pretty natural and was enjoyable to listen to, and you start to get a sense of the characters.

Not sure why there are some odd comparisons to Monster Musume (yes they both have monster girls but the tone of the show is very, very different) not bashing on Musume since I actually enjoyed it, but ecchi is ecchi. Here's hoping for great things!
Jan 9, 2017 9:56 PM
Jan 2016
version15 said:
Great start, very interested in this series. The dialogue felt pretty natural and was enjoyable to listen to, and you start to get a sense of the characters.

Not sure why there are some odd comparisons to Monster Musume (yes they both have monster girls but the tone of the show is very, very different) not bashing on Musume since I actually enjoyed it, but ecchi is ecchi. Here's hoping for great things!

Because whoever translated the title needs to be beat with a stick.

"亜人" is not "monster", it's "sub-person". The title is more literally translated as "Talking with Miss Subhuman", but since it was translated as "Monster Girls" people assumed it would be like the other "Monster Girls" anime.
Jan 10, 2017 12:33 AM

Mar 2016
I enjoyed watching the first episode. Can't wait to see the rest.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 10, 2017 1:02 AM

Aug 2014
You know the anime is good when you want to see the next episode ASAP after finished watching the current one.
I want MOOOOAAAARR!
Jan 10, 2017 1:42 AM

Mar 2014
So if food goes in the dullahan's mouth, how does it end up in its stomach?
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jan 10, 2017 7:24 PM

Mar 2014
I literally had a smile on my face the whole time. I went in expecting Monster Musume junior and got that to an extent but we also got so much more. It's cute, HILARIOUS, A-1 pictures <3, the list goes on. This episode one truly sucked me into the series ;)
Jan 10, 2017 8:45 PM

Feb 2013
I basically had no plans on watching this one, but I saw it on crunchyroll and thought, eh I'll give it a shot.

I'm so happy that I did!!! This was so fucking cute. I love it so much already.
Jan 11, 2017 6:54 AM

Nov 2011
As a start, it seems to have chosen the right foot, to advance. The narrative, while "not being" nothing exceptional, tells of everyday life lived in a school, still can be very fun and bursting with joy in every situation. Drawings and animations, really good as quality. The soundtrack is very catchy, as they are so cute the opening and ending.
Jan 11, 2017 8:58 AM
Jul 2016
That was cute, Hikari best girl in this Anime, and her Voice i liked it so much. 9/10 for now
Jan 11, 2017 11:19 AM
Oct 2007
Pretty interesting story outline. Looking forward to see how it unfold!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 11, 2017 6:16 PM

Feb 2016
Shows like this are the reason i watch anime. A solid 4/5.
Jan 11, 2017 7:36 PM

Mar 2009
This was great. I love monster girls and this seems like a very thoughtful type of monster girl anime.

The vampire girl reminds me of Youko in Jitsu wa Watashi wa. Both of them defy the typical vampire rules and lore.
Jan 11, 2017 9:47 PM

May 2015
I'm reading the manga and I gotta say that I love the way the 1st episode was handled... Transitions between scenes were neat, color scheme was really pleasing, music was on point, new additional content was great, etc....

At first, I was afraid, but the director has proven to be doing a good job with it so far, so kudos to him. I'm just glad one of my two most anticipated new series for this Winter didn't disappoint.

Anyhow, I'd say that this and Little Witch Academia (TV) are hands down my favorite series (sequels excluded) of this Winter season so far... I’m hoping Scum's Wish will also make the cut, but we’ll see (the fact that they are planning to cram the whole thing into 11-12 episodes is already a big disappointment for me with that one, but that's another story).

Looking forward the next episode.

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Jan 12, 2017 2:49 AM

Jul 2015
Is it bad if the first thing i thought when i saw the girl carrying her head is that she can lick herself ?
Jan 12, 2017 5:25 AM

May 2015
I wanna cover my body in cold compresses too!
Jan 12, 2017 1:32 PM

May 2010
This is really refreshing with the interviews and all. Like how its more about the problems of demis than all that monster hype and all. Good stuff.
Jan 12, 2017 6:25 PM

Oct 2013
And there I was thinking Winter 2017 would be a slow season and that I would probably stick with 3-Gatsu no Lion and Little Witch Academia. Now I'm watching this and three other oddball fantasy/moe shows.
Last year was pretty good, but in the current year I think we'll keep winning, and we'll win so much we'll get tired of winning.
Jan 13, 2017 7:57 AM

Jul 2016
I actually had low expectations for this one since comedy and school SoL anime look so boring for me this days and finding an actually interesting one is rare. But gotta say this looked pretty nice despite the low expectations and I'm quite impressed and this has the potential to be a good anime. Waiting for next episode now I guess.

It also reminds me of Monster Musume except it looks more enjoyable. I came, I see potential, and now I wait for next episode!
Futari wa Milky Holmes was a mistake
Yoshii did nothing wrong

Jan 13, 2017 5:53 PM

May 2008
I'm so glad I decided to give this series a chance! I thought I'd drop it after one episode but ended up loving it instead. The mood was nice and characters are interesting. The voice acting is good and nice to see Suwabe Junichi in a role like this after all those evil and/or seductive characters.

Didn't remember I had the manga version in my PTW list, I have to give it a try too.
Jan 13, 2017 8:02 PM

Oct 2008
ok wow, THIS was amazing. Amazing writing and understated direction. There's a moment towards the end of the episode when the vampire girl starts talking with the headless girl in the classroom, and as we slowly pan out this beautiful string-driven music takes over. It's an incredible moment, so delicately handled.
Jan 14, 2017 2:43 AM

Dec 2012
This one looks promising, Hikari was so fun and the voice acting is very good.
Jan 14, 2017 5:40 AM

Feb 2015
This was SO cute. Really looking forward to more.
5/5

Jan 14, 2017 10:57 AM

Mar 2013
Whew I really enjoyed the episode. The characters were nice. I love how Hikari is positive, energetic and fun to be around.
But most of all, I loved the ambiance of the show. It seemed so soothing.
Jan 14, 2017 12:13 PM

Feb 2014
I'm a simple man, I fell in love with hikari's design & voice at first sight, so I'll keep watchin'.. for now
Jan 15, 2017 3:07 AM

May 2016
Hikari's face and voice is so cute !!! I need her in my life
Jan 15, 2017 7:22 AM
Mar 2012
OP trysail lyrics by Okada Mari, wonder subs when.
Vamp chan adorable the energetic kind (lol not anemic at all...), like Chollette from Art Club.
The interview ideas & cultural interactions quite interesting.
Another A1 show everyone's working on, Mappa, wit, lidenfilms, dogakobo, ufo, paworks etc.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Demi-chan wa Kataritai Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2017

94 by LordCrueltyV »»
Sep 8, 3:22 PM

Poll: » Demi-chan wa Kataritai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 25, 2017

216 by VetrandR »»
Apr 11, 4:58 AM

» This series would probably be better with at least SOME ecchi... ( 1 2 )

--ALEX-- - Feb 14, 2017

55 by tectacles »»
Feb 18, 4:06 PM

Poll: » Demi-chan wa Kataritai Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 28, 2017

147 by tectacles »»
Jan 31, 5:57 AM

Poll: » Demi-chan wa Kataritai Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 21, 2017

142 by tectacles »»
Jan 30, 7:03 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.