Forum Settings
Forums

Why many people don't like to watch old Anime?

New
Jul 20, 2016 5:43 AM
Jul 2015
I haven't watched many old anime but for me it is very interesting but to other people are not. I'm a person who likes older anime (1970s-1990s) and wouldn't consider at my age of 17 just because I'm too young or fresh in watching older anime. I just find old anime good and first step in my journey watching anime. I'm planning to watch older anime like Ashita no Joe and Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu.
MarcSenpaiJul 20, 2016 5:56 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 20, 2016 5:44 AM

Feb 2013
i dont get your post
if you like older anime then why haven't you watched any
Jul 20, 2016 5:45 AM

Jan 2008
Same reason modern day kids don't touch old classic games. Cause it doesn't visually appeal to them. Remake a sequel in HD with updated animaton/artwork and I'm sure they will.

I'm sure a good majority of those who watched the new versions of Hunter x Hunter or JoJo haven't even seen the older versions nor want to.
Jul 20, 2016 5:46 AM

Apr 2015
Same for me, but I've heard lots of complaints about the art and animation of older anime so guess that's one of the bigger reasons.
Jul 20, 2016 5:46 AM

Jul 2015
->the animation and art style are not for me
->people watch wathever they enjoy
Jul 20, 2016 5:48 AM
Jul 2015
Well. Not enough free time to watch anime but planning to watch in my leisure time. Ohh and I have watched Ranma 1/2.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 20, 2016 5:48 AM

Oct 2015
For me, the biggest negative point in old anime is soundtracks.
Since I've only watched about a handful of old anime, one major difference I noticed was that the older anime like to remain silent. They don't apply enough OSTs. Newer anime have soundtracks for almost every moment.

And well, most people prefer newer art style over the older one.
Hisoka said:
True love is finding someone whose demons play well with yours.
Illumi said:
Jul 20, 2016 5:50 AM

Jan 2015
I mean, I haven't watched much anime in general, but I must say that I prefer the late 80's to early 90's in terms of aesthetic value. It's something to do with the shadings and palettes they choose. It looks more...drawn, I guess. I like that. For example, I am absolutely enamoured by Mobile Police Patlabor's colours and style at the moment, that I just can't get over it.

I wouldn't say that I therefore exclusively like anime from that era, as that would be pretty ignorant, but yeah, lot's of people like older anime man. I do find it rather ignorant when people exclaim "huehue it's got an old artstyle, not gonna watch, huehue", but I digress. It's kinda like not reading classic literature, a missed opportunity.

You're not the special snowflake you wanted to be lauded as, OP. Plenty of kids enjoy the classics.
Status_EffectJul 20, 2016 5:55 AM
Jul 20, 2016 5:50 AM
Jul 2015
That's the problem because I don't have enough time to watch so many anime because Old anime has probably 100+ episodes. I just want to watch old anime.
Jul 20, 2016 5:51 AM

Sep 2015
Because I prefer cute moe-blob anime over everything else
Jul 20, 2016 5:52 AM

Jun 2016
Because they don't like the animation, its pretty obvious.
Jul 20, 2016 5:55 AM

Oct 2015
Status_Effect said:
You're not the special snowflake you wanted to be lauded as, OP. Plenty of kids enjoy the classics.
Exactly OP. It does sound like you wanted to standout as a teen who enjoys classics.
Hisoka said:
Illumi said:
Jul 20, 2016 6:00 AM
Jul 20, 2016 6:07 AM

Feb 2013
MarcSenpai said:
That's the problem because I don't have enough time to watch so many anime because Old anime has probably 100+ episodes. I just want to watch old anime.
old tv anime maybe.. and even so there are many relevant 4 cour and below (rose of versailles, sdf macross, ideon, ie naki ko, silver fang, millions more in the 90s)

and there are many old movies and standalone ovas that are even shorter than that.. like barefoot gen, angel's egg, gosenzosama, video girl ai, golden boy, armitage,..
Jul 20, 2016 6:09 AM

May 2010
coz they're long
I hardly find any motivation to complete ~25 episode series that aren't great. Hokuto no Ken, Saint Seiyaa, LotGH, Ranma½, Lupin the 3rd, Astro Boy and many more titles are 100+ episodes.
Jul 20, 2016 6:13 AM
Aug 2014
One said:
Since I've only watched about a handful of old anime, one major difference I noticed was that the older anime like to remain silent. They don't apply enough OSTs. Newer anime have soundtracks for almost every moment.

Older anime can still have great soundtracks, examples being LOGH and Utena.
Jul 20, 2016 6:19 AM

Jan 2009
I love to watch old anime, it's hand drawn and most of the shows are funny and uncensored but the problem lies in the source, no where to download or buy.
Jul 20, 2016 6:24 AM

May 2015
-People aren't fond of the artstyle/animation
-Old anime is not as easy to find if you aren't a classic or have a cult following
-and sometimes people are just plebs
every single one of my forum posts is dumb and invalid except for 1, I don't claim them it was a different person it was all fake
Jul 20, 2016 6:28 AM

Oct 2015
Kona_Kana said:
One said:

Haven't watched those two yet.

That aside, I noticed Berserk and Hunter x Hunter 1999 have so many moments of silence. It kind of does suite some shows, but it turns people off sometimes, since sound is a great and immersive medium to add to animation.

And as some other people mentioned, the length. So many old anime are 4-cour or more. I hardly have the motivation to watch 2-cour anime now, so 4-cour+ is a big deal.
Hisoka said:
Illumi said:
Jul 20, 2016 6:33 AM

Jan 2015
One said:

Mate, Cowboy Bebop literally has the best OST out of any anime ever, and it was made over 25 years ago.

I mean, it's the best if you like Jazz, at least.
Jul 20, 2016 6:33 AM

Feb 2013
One said:
Kona_Kana said:

Haven't watched those two yet.

That aside, I noticed Berserk and Hunter x Hunter 1999 have so many moments of silence. It kind of does suite some shows, but it turns people off sometimes, since sound is a great and immersive medium to add to animation.

And as some other people mentioned, the length. So many old anime are 4-cour or more. I hardly have the motivation to watch 2-cour anime now, so 4-cour+ is a big deal.
solution: watch movies and ovas, not tv shows

Status_Effect said:
Mate, Cowboy Bebop literally has the best OST out of any anime ever, and it was made over 25 years ago
*18 years
Jul 20, 2016 6:37 AM

Oct 2015
Status_Effect said:
One said:

Mate, Cowboy Bebop literally has the best OST out of any anime ever, and it was made over 25 years ago.

I mean, it's the best if you like Jazz, at least.
Did I ever say 'all of them don't have soundtracks'...?
Hisoka said:
Illumi said:
Jul 20, 2016 6:37 AM

Jan 2015
romagia said:
Status_Effect said:
Mate, Cowboy Bebop literally has the best OST out of any anime ever, and it was made over 25 years ago
*18 years

Yeah, you're right! Damn, that's embarrassing. Even in my head I thought it was 21, I thought it came out in 95, but that's when NGE came out. :3
One said:

Well, you didn't say "most" or "a few" either, but nah you didn't :3
Jul 20, 2016 6:41 AM

Oct 2015
Status_Effect said:
One said:

Well, you didn't say "most" or "a few" either, but nah you didn't :3
One said:

Quoting myself again since people like to interpret everything their own ways.
Hisoka said:
Illumi said:
Jul 20, 2016 6:44 AM

Feb 2015
One said:

But is that really a bad thing? IMO it makes the moments where music actually plays much more meaningful in contrast.
Jul 20, 2016 6:45 AM

Oct 2015
JonasTheJay said:
One said:

But is that really a bad thing? IMO it makes the moments where music actually plays much more meaningful in contrast.
One said:
Sigh.. Quoting myself yet again.

30charlimit
Hisoka said:
Illumi said:
Jul 20, 2016 6:48 AM

Feb 2015
Same reason why old books are not read much compared to the contemporary:

A common reader will not delve into reading all Trollope books or even try to read the books in the 1400s. You cannot even get past through Thackeray's work excluding Vanity Fair.

The reason is that, there is no more source, It has long withered. There are few titles that are preserved though, and some are well-watched, actually. But then, there are still more reasons, but most of it is because it's long obsolete, some parts (especially the culture and trends) aren't interesting when watched in the 21st century.
Jul 20, 2016 6:48 AM

Aug 2015
Old animation , hard to find , too many episode & blabla bla bla

WHERE'S MY MOEBLOB !!!!!
Jul 20, 2016 6:51 AM

Jan 2011
I have seen people who don't wanna watch the original EVA because it looks "old" and just wanna rebuild.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jul 20, 2016 6:55 AM

Feb 2016
the animations, execution and pace are not as good as recent animes though I enjoyed ranma 1/2 and city hunter a lot.
Jul 20, 2016 6:55 AM

Dec 2015
I think its mostly due to the artstyle. I mean its the same reason why some people refuse to play ff1-9 which are instant classics and great games, but the same people with say ff13 is teh best ff ever -_-. All the old FF1-6 were out of my age range when they were initially released, so it was a new frontier to play games like that with dumbed down graphics, but I enjoyed the hell out of them.

The same goes with anime, some people just can't get past the artstyle, but then they miss out on great anime like Berserk or Cowboy Bebop.
Jul 20, 2016 6:57 AM

Feb 2013
jenkkk said:
the animations, execution and pace are not as good as recent animes though I enjoyed ranma 1/2 and city hunter a lot.
if only old anime were as well animated, paced, and executed as mahou shoujo naria☆girls...
Jul 20, 2016 6:58 AM

Mar 2016
Some people like to give priority to animation over story, and characters. Others have a peculiar taste that just doesn't include older anime.
Jul 20, 2016 6:58 AM

Jan 2011
Cejara said:
I think its mostly due to the artstyle. I mean its the same reason why some people refuse to play ff1-9 which are instant classics and great games, but the same people with say ff13 is teh best ff ever -_-. All the old FF1-6 were out of my age range when they were initially released, so it was a new frontier to play games like that with dumbed down graphics, but I enjoyed the hell out of them.

The same goes with anime, some people just can't get past the artstyle, but then they miss out on great anime like Berserk or Cowboy Bebop.
As a FF13 fan I will never say that. I love 7 the most but need to play the other FF games.
Jul 20, 2016 7:00 AM

Jan 2015
Cejara said:

Yoshitaka Amano's art is certainly not "old" or "dumbed down" though, it's expressively vibrant and colourful. I actually don't know why it's not more popular than the generic designs of the characters post 6. They're certainly more akin to the intricacies, lines and details the kids are enjoying these days. If there is one thing that Amano is good at, it's drawing bishie boys.

Ah, to get a modern FF game with art by Amano would be a dream, but I digress.
Jul 20, 2016 7:07 AM

Dec 2015
Status_Effect said:
Cejara said:

Yoshitaka Amano's art is certainly not "old" or "dumbed down" though, it's expressively vibrant and colourful. I actually don't know why it's not more popular than the generic designs of the characters post 6. They're certainly more akin to the intricacies, lines and details the kids are enjoying these days. If there is one thing that Amano is good at, it's drawing bishie boys.

Oh yeah, I don't mind it at all and like it. Its just how I felt when I started backtracking to "older" games like the first FF's. Now I know better haha. I feel more comfortable in those old school graphics rpg games than I do with the newer stuff, but I can enjoy the beauty in the newer stuff as well. I wish Squaresoft was never taken over to become SquareEnix, that's when the games started to decline in quality.

@MasterHavik

I didn't mean all of the ff13 fans, but I have seen quite a few that haven't played a FF before 10 and will call it the best ever. FF13 still had its moments and was good, but it just didn't feel like a FF game.
Jul 20, 2016 7:26 AM

Apr 2014
Itadakiimasu said:
I love to watch old anime, it's hand drawn and most of the shows are funny and uncensored but the problem lies in the source, no where to download or buy.

Try bakabt. They always have people seeding the most obscure of animes. Also, I think kissanime features many of them.
Jul 20, 2016 7:51 AM
Sep 2015
Joms said:
Same reason why old books are not read much compared to the contemporary:

A common reader will not delve into reading all Trollope books or even try to read the books in the 1400s. You cannot even get past through Thackeray's work excluding Vanity Fair.

The reason is that, there is no more source, It has long withered. There are few titles that are preserved though, and some are well-watched, actually. But then, there are still more reasons, but most of it is because it's long obsolete, some parts (especially the culture and trends) aren't interesting when watched in the 21st century.

I get what you're saying, started reading Dracula and I didn't expect it to be so goddamn tedious. Like I get that it set the foundation for the vampire genres, but that's the point, most books after Stoker's novel have borrowed these classical tropes and improved on them greatly, I'm already used to the polished versions and to read them it their raw form feels like regress.
OT: For me it's the pacing, apparently 80s cartoons liked to take their sweet time doing anything (or should I say nothing?) and also what I mentioned about Dracula is imo true for anime as well.
Jul 20, 2016 8:00 AM

Feb 2015
They're low quality (only 480P, or 720P if you're lucky).
They're usually slower paced and tend to have a higher episode count.
I'm not fond of the 90s art style.
The 90s comedy doesn't do it for me most of the times.

I do appreciate the handdrawn art and animation, but I prefer the look of modern anime (both quality-wise and the artstyle).
Jul 20, 2016 8:02 AM

Feb 2015
TiaDee said:

I get what you're saying, started reading Dracula and I didn't expect it to be so goddamn tedious. Like I get that it set the foundation for the vampire genres, but that's the point, most books after Stoker's novel have borrowed these classical tropes and improved on them greatly, I'm already used to the polished versions and to read them it their raw form feels like regress.

I wonder, I agree that Dracula became really plodding, but I don't think of it as a bad book; I even consider it as the pinnacle of Gothic Horror in English literature. Gothic horrors tend to be melodramatic, and character-driven. The reason why it became more unexciting because in hindsight, we are all informed of what kind of vampire Stoker was depicting--a blood-sucking-curse-spreading-misogynist.

Though I shouldn't be saying this because I haven't read any Vampire-theme novels that borrows the trope. But yeah, you got a point, since Dracula is the founder of this theme, we could expect some flaws and of course, the later works could polish it for the betterment.
Jul 20, 2016 8:09 AM

Nov 2015
I heard great things about fist of the north star but the animation ticks me off.

"The longer you live, the more you realize that reality is just made of pain, suffering, and emptiness." -Madara Uchiha
Jul 20, 2016 8:29 AM
Sep 2015
Joms said:
TiaDee said:

I wonder, I agree that Dracula became really plodding, but I don't think of it as a bad book; I even consider it as the pinnacle of Gothic Horror in English literature. Gothic horrors tend to be melodramatic, and character-driven. The reason why it became more unexciting because in hindsight, we are all informed of what kind of vampire Stoker was depicting--a blood-sucking-curse-spreading-misogynist.

Though I shouldn't be saying this because I haven't read any Vampire-theme novels that borrows the trope. But yeah, you got a point, since Dracula is the founder of this theme, we could expect some flaws and of course, the later works could polish it for the betterment.

It's not bad, it's just... Stoker being so bad at managing suspense and pacing. Since it's also a mistery novel the story emphasizes the dire necessity for the characters to meet and pierce the information together and I'm only halfway through, but it already happened. The writing style is epistolary so I as a reader get to know what and how much each character knows and also get a overall idea on the situation, but now another character knows as well and knows just as much as I do (actually they know more) and since I'm just halfway through I keep wondering what else could Stoker use to fill the rest of the novel and why does the novel need to continue another 200 pages for? And as I said that pacing is dreadful and all characters (no exception) are too nice, they don't know each other but already act like they're blood brothers or something. And frankly the only two interesting characters in there are Van Helsing and Dracula and the novel being epistolary means I never get to see Dracula's perspective which seems like a wasted opportunity to me.
All in all, Dracula looks like a long series of poor writing choices and lost opportunities that might have been popular (even praised) at that time, but which now have become redundant and piffling.
(Why do you say he's misogynistic though? He didn't give me that impression as of yet. If there's one - just one - thing that this novel manage to surprise me with is how progressive, for that time, is in terms of portraying female characters and how male characters view them).
Jul 20, 2016 9:07 AM

Feb 2015
TiaDee said:
Joms said:

It's not bad, it's just... Stoker being so bad at managing suspense and pacing. Since it's also a mistery novel the story emphasizes the dire necessity for the characters to meet and pierce the information together and I'm only halfway through, but it already happened. The writing style is epistolary so I as a reader get to know what and how much each character knows and also get a overall idea on the situation, but now another character knows as well and knows just as much as I do (actually they know more) and since I'm just halfway through I keep wondering what else could Stoker use to fill the rest of the novel and why does the novel need to continue another 200 pages for? And as I said that pacing is dreadful and all characters (no exception) are too nice, they don't know each other but already act like they're blood brothers or something. And frankly the only two interesting characters in there are Van Helsing and Dracula and the novel being epistolary means I never get to see Dracula's perspective which seems like a wasted opportunity to me.
All in all, Dracula looks like a long series of poor writing choices and lost opportunities that might have been popular (even praised) at that time, but which now have become redundant and piffling.
(Why do you say he's misogynistic though? He didn't give me that impression as of yet. If there's one - just one - thing that this novel manage to surprise me with is how progressive, for that time, is in terms of portraying female characters and how male characters view them).

Yeah, that restricted perspective is really underwhelming, but what impresses me are his vivid descriptions about the places, about what's happening, and that's truly the main focus of Gothic novels, to produce noir-like settings.

That unrealistic relationship between them is only about Mina and Harker towards Van Helsing and Seward. Note that Seward, Arthur, Lucy and that laconic guy Quincey are actually acquaintances, and Van Helsing connected with Seward.

he used uber-goody good characters probably to create a contrasting image towards Dracula-- he intend to make him more notorious because he don't want to make an appealing antagonist, since that impression is essential towards the denouement. Read on, it's worthwhile, actually, just focus on reading through the words and you may find the changes on the latter part of the story.

I said him a misogynist, rather an irony because he prefer his victims being a woman. He intended to make the male characters to be super mangina in order to make another contrast, because Dracula is depicted as a tainting menace, defiling every sacred woman on his sight, and these boys shall do everything to protect the gals.

It seems like Stoker is just a mangina himself. Lol
Jul 20, 2016 9:14 AM

Jun 2014
Probably the art style, but I personally enjoy it :/

s t a t i c n o i s e

Jul 20, 2016 9:16 AM

Apr 2015
Because I have enough shit to watch by watching airings and I'm busy in real life.
Jul 20, 2016 9:35 AM
Jul 2018
People can't handle the animations / art style.... which is why they don't watch old anime. Most of them are introduced / recommended to the newer versions of animations / art style that they don't ever get introduced to the older styles before it's too late.
Jul 20, 2016 10:08 AM

Nov 2015
Wtf you like older anime but you don't watch them ?
Jul 20, 2016 1:03 PM

Jan 2011
Cejara said:
Status_Effect said:

Oh yeah, I don't mind it at all and like it. Its just how I felt when I started backtracking to "older" games like the first FF's. Now I know better haha. I feel more comfortable in those old school graphics rpg games than I do with the newer stuff, but I can enjoy the beauty in the newer stuff as well. I wish Squaresoft was never taken over to become SquareEnix, that's when the games started to decline in quality.

@MasterHavik

I didn't mean all of the ff13 fans, but I have seen quite a few that haven't played a FF before 10 and will call it the best ever. FF13 still had its moments and was good, but it just didn't feel like a FF game.
Oh okay.:) I can respect that. I hate people who do that. It is so ignorance.
Jul 20, 2016 1:50 PM

Jul 2015
I don't like much the animation and art style in first place, plus, atleast for the ones I know, old anime was really focused in action, mecha, sci-fi, war settings, episodic formats and similar stuff that I generally dislike a lot (always with some exceptions).

From earlier than 2000 I only watched Lain, GTO and Golden Boy, that for their synopsis got my interested and I found them nice, I also watched the first episode of NGE, let's see if I like it (I don't expect much tbh).
Jul 21, 2016 5:19 AM

Jun 2016
Always the same reason- the animation. I thought too that I will not be able to bear the animation but I watched/rewatched several ones and they are good.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» why are women being so unseen as audience ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Yesterday

88 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
45 seconds ago

» Angels or Demons? 😇😈 ( 1 2 )

Serafos - Oct 1

54 by Hikinekomori »»
3 minutes ago

» Does the anime culture that "brought you in" still exist?

thewiru - 3 hours ago

9 by SawronZXZ »»
14 minutes ago

» Favorite "Companion Bot" in anime?

TheBlockernator - 3 hours ago

8 by aReviewer »»
35 minutes ago

» New Anime Streaming Service from Japan

alpo42ab - Sep 6

24 by MadanielFL »»
55 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.