Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Asterisk War (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Oct 10, 2015 9:58 AM

Dec 2009
One of anime's bad habits is trying to cram too much source material into one cour, probably due to budget reasons, and stuff often gets rushed and not idealy adapted...

Even this particular anime is still faster paced than almost all visual novels in japan. And reality check: there are more VN's in existance than anime. And that's not counting LN's and oh hell all the manga you could stack to the moon and back a few times...

Having a well paced anime once in a while is very refreshing.

And again, Saya>all. <3
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Oct 10, 2015 10:01 AM

Jul 2015
Kirigaro92 said:
Saya is the loli version of Yuki from Shinmai maou lol

XD
Oct 10, 2015 10:01 AM

Jan 2013
GenesisAria said:

Real life is full of cliche's too. No reason to be annoyed by them.

Made me cringe. Are you serious? You're going to use that as a way to excuse complete lack of any creativity in character/story writing?
Jeez some people.

GenesisAria said:

There's more of familiar things because watchers and writers alike desire those things, so they keep showing up.

Yup, and what do we learn from that? The people watching the same magic light novel show over and over again have really low standards. It's understandable to use the same things over and over again if your target audience doesn't give a shit and will be entertained by the good old copy paste story anyway.

Why would you want to work hard and be creative if there is barely any incentive to do so...
A sad thing really.
Oct 10, 2015 10:05 AM

Aug 2015
They finally introduced Saya.I knew people would love her!
Oct 10, 2015 10:07 AM

May 2015
I'm loving Saya, she's super cute and interesting. However I really hope this doesn't become a generic harem, as this episode seems pretty uneventful tbh.

Oct 10, 2015 10:08 AM

Aug 2014
Honestly this show is more boring than the other ones with knights, schools and shit.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai

Dec 2009
TheNaturalPerm said:
Why would you want to work hard and be creative if there is barely any incentive to do so...
A sad thing really.
Please refer to my prior post.
And who's divine rule says there needs to be some imaginary non-existent perfectly original story?
IT'S ENTERTAINMENT, NOT AN ART SHOW.
It's for enjoying, not impressing all the sour people that it's so unique and not done before...
It's only once in a blue moon that someone gets a golden idea and manages to deliver it in a way that everyone doesn't gripe that it's too weird and hard to understand. For the rest of the time you can enjoy somewhat less original stories with some new flavours, as we see plenty of.
Even in western entertainment, those magical releases are few and far between. It's like going to a beach and expecting there to not be any water. It's part of the package, take it or leave it sheesh.

ps: even huge names like star wars, lotr, star trek, etc are extremely unoriginal, but it was just dilevered in a way that nobody seemed to notice or care.

Jan 2014
HOLY FUCK Claudia is 100% bangable.
I'm surprised Julis still hasn't slapped Ayato.

OP AND ED ARE BOTH AMAZING WHAT THE HELL
Seriously, one of the best.

I'm gonna say, this feels like Mahouka Koukou 2.0

HORRIBLESUBS WHY SO MUCH MEMES
NakatoshiOct 10, 2015 10:14 AM
"The one true, unchanging righteousness in the world is..cuteness! Cute makes right! All our needs, desires, and instincts seek cuteness, and it is for cuteness that we will give everything we have! That's just the way men are!" - Sora
Oct 10, 2015 10:12 AM

Mar 2014
Despite how generic this show seems currently, I fel like the small hints of something big and evil looming in the distance can be evidence that this show will evolve into something much better in later episodes. Mainly finding out what happened to the sister (Hopefully it turs out into something more than generic bad guy killing kind sister)

Saya is cute and has a way with words. Heard the "Bed was holding me hostage" thing before on Facebook.

Claudia is still best girl. Already taking action to get the D before the others do. I don't ship these two together, I ship Julis and MC. His personality works well with her tsun

Anyone else think of Julius Orange (The smoothie place) when they see Julis?

ED was really nice.
"Fuck this shit, fun things are fun!"
Oct 10, 2015 10:16 AM

Dec 2009
Visualized said:
that's sad.

Oct 10, 2015 10:17 AM

Jan 2014
GenesisAria said:
Visualized said:
that's sad.

why tho
"The one true, unchanging righteousness in the world is..cuteness! Cute makes right! All our needs, desires, and instincts seek cuteness, and it is for cuteness that we will give everything we have! That's just the way men are!" - Sora
Oct 10, 2015 10:20 AM

Aug 2015
Ahh the childhood friend. Thought they would add her in later.

All we need now is a loli and another huge tit chick, then his harem will be complete ^^
Oct 10, 2015 10:22 AM

Sep 2013
I feel bad for Saya's voice actor she'll need speak in monotone for the whole season lol.
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Oct 10, 2015 10:23 AM

Nov 2010
I don't usually "complain" about something being generic (or if that buzzword is used too much, probably I'll use "very tropey"), but this is the epitome of following all the basic formula for a LN lol. Not that I am protesting, but I think it's simply the characteristic of this LN (while Rakudai in contrary is trying to subvert the tropes with various degree of success/failures).

But yeah, this show would be a better mindless entertainment if some of the lines reworked so I don't have to faceplam in some parts of the scripts. I honestly also prefer if the harem elements is reduced a bit and more focus given to more "shounenish" part so it could be an interesting shounen rather than become a very typical LN, but of course that is just a wishful thinking.

Anyway, I'm here for the Rasmus x Maaya from the first place, and holy f*ck, if I was shown that song before watching this I won't believe it came from a very typical LN Magic School anime. Egh, I guess this is more series that I keep watching just because of the songs (I hope the fights at least would be entertaining).
Oct 10, 2015 10:35 AM

Mar 2013
Ranoom said:

Rakudai Kishi no Cavalry's guy need to catch up soon.

Rakudai Kishi isn't a Harem.

Anyway better than the frist episode but so far still think Rakudai Kishi is the better series so far.

Oct 10, 2015 10:36 AM

Mar 2014
might just be the subs but the dialogue was hilarious sayas a really good comedy relief. exactly my kind of humor which is the dry and deadpan delivery. 5/5, as always. julis is still the best ;9
edit: why the comparisons between rakudai and asterisk idgi it was okay first episode but its just childish now youre not evaluating asterisk for what it is youre evaluating it for what rakudai is.
yuiyuigahamaOct 10, 2015 10:39 AM
Oct 10, 2015 10:47 AM

Nov 2011
the ending made me felt as if i was flying through time into the future.
Hate Keeps me warm
Oct 10, 2015 10:53 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
When have i seen this before, hmmmmmm. Basically every other school battle magic anime with good animation. It's still enjoyable somewhat.
Oct 10, 2015 11:05 AM

Oct 2009
Both OP and ED are really good!
Oct 10, 2015 11:14 AM

Feb 2015
getting interesting.
i love the op. the ed was really nice too.
can't wait for the serious action
Oct 10, 2015 11:28 AM

Jun 2013
the weapon is much bigger than the loli lol good ED
Oct 10, 2015 11:33 AM

Jun 2015
Drop for me this only let me with rakudai
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 10, 2015 11:33 AM
Oct 2010
Was that convo between the MC and the princess after the journalist guy left them cringey to anyone else? "So you do laugh like that sometimes" the fuck? This dude met her only a few hours ago and pretending like he knows her for weeks now. I also don't understand how the princess has no friends at all, that seems super weird to me because of her status at the school and her status in general.

And of course they introduce one of those types.. I don't know why you call them but basically the emotionless girls with the annoying voices and drawn out manner of speaking. Production values kinda went to shit this episode as well.. A-1 pulling their old tricks again.

Also why is this dude so surprised he's finding girls in these compromising states when he insists on jumping through their windows and going directly into their bed rooms? Wtf? Oh yeah and it seems the MC is the new Tatsuya.. cool. I'll give it one more ep I guess.. but holy shit.
GD1551Oct 10, 2015 11:41 AM
Oct 10, 2015 11:41 AM

Mar 2014
skudoops said:
Was that convo between the MC and the princess after the journalist guy left them cringey to anyone else? &quot;So you do laugh like that sometimes&quot; the fuck? This dude met her only a few hours ago and pretending like he knows her for weeks now. I also don't understand how the princess has no friends at all, that seems super weird to me because of her status at the school and her status in general.

And of course they introduce one of those types.. I don't know why you call them but basically the emotionless girls with the annoying voices and drawn out manner of speaking. Production values kinda went to shit this episode as well.. A-1 pulling their old tricks again.

Also why is this dude so surprised he's finding girls in these compromising states when he insists on jumping through their windows and going directly into their bed rooms? Wtf?

it wasnt cringey at all i thought it was cute. he got the first impression that julis was a hardass because she tried to kill him instead of doing something sane like reporting him. i think thats normal? if someone tried to kill you i dont think youd peg them as the person to laugh and make casual banter. that also explains the fact that julis has no friends. obviously shes rude to everyone. with you on the drop in animation looks like they expended all their budget on the first episode... hes surprised because she called him to her room and left the door open duh. i mean an open door is an invitation for you to go in isnt it? if it was closed he wouldve knocked but why would he stand outside like an idiot when its obvious she wanted him to come in? its already been established that claudias a conniving temptress too so
Oct 10, 2015 11:44 AM
Oct 2010
yuiyuigahama said:
skudoops said:
Was that convo between the MC and the princess after the journalist guy left them cringey to anyone else? &quot;So you do laugh like that sometimes&quot; the fuck? This dude met her only a few hours ago and pretending like he knows her for weeks now. I also don't understand how the princess has no friends at all, that seems super weird to me because of her status at the school and her status in general.

Also why is this dude so surprised he's finding girls in these compromising states when he insists on jumping through their windows and going directly into their bed rooms? Wtf?

it wasnt cringey at all i thought it was cute. he got the first impression that julis was a hardass because she tried to kill him instead of doing something sane like reporting him. i think thats normal? if someone tried to kill you i dont think youd peg them as the person to laugh and make casual banter. that also explains the fact that julis has no friends. obviously shes rude to everyone. with you on the drop in animation looks like they expended all their budget on the first episode... hes surprised because she called him to her room and left the door open duh. i mean an open door is an invitation for you to go in isnt it? if it was closed he wouldve knocked but why would he stand outside like an idiot when its obvious she wanted him to come in? its already been established that claudias a conniving temptress too so

She didn't try to kill him though, she just wanted to duel him for revenge, doesn't seem to out of place that she would use a campus sanction fight to take out her anger. Again, he only knew her for a few hours there's no way he could know her personality from that.

For the room thing, remember he jumped up about three stories and entered through her balcony door, why is he shocked that she's like that in her bedroom? Can this dude use a front door?
Oct 10, 2015 11:49 AM

Aug 2013
Good episode, new characters were introduced, even without expression on the face, the Saya's tone of voice was great, I also like this angry side of Julis, the harem will only increase, I'm looking forward to the next episodes ..
Oct 10, 2015 11:52 AM

Jul 2015
Nice improvement comparing with the 1st ep. Will keep watching.
Oct 10, 2015 11:54 AM

Jul 2015
still kinda eh but I liked it more than the first episode

╳ ╳ ╳
Oct 10, 2015 11:55 AM

Mar 2014
skudoops said:

She didn't try to kill him though, she just wanted to duel him for revenge, doesn't seem to out of place that she would use a campus sanction fight to take out her anger. Again, he only knew her for a few hours there's no way he could know her personality from that.

For the room thing, remember he jumped up about three stories and entered through her balcony door, why is he shocked that she's like that in her bedroom? Can this dude use a front door?

bro she literally said "then...prepare to die." i rewatched the first episode it was only after he dodged her initial murder attempt that she challenged him. its also a first impression. he sees her as the type to not let bygones be bygones hence its new and interesting for her to laugh like that hes just learning more about her personality. he expected her to totally berate him for not knowing where the dorms were.

idk sure he could use a front door but wouldnt it be the same? shed answer in her pjs or whatever and hed just be like oh my god a half naked girl wow this totally caught me off guard wow oh my god!!! its not even the issue of where he entered but just claudia being claudia.
Oct 10, 2015 12:00 PM

Feb 2015
Saya is too cute. Love her character design.

Anime | Profile | Manga
「The day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday I saw a deer, and today, you.」

Oct 10, 2015 12:08 PM
Jul 2018
Ayato got three girls liking him already.

It was a lot better than the previous episode.
Oct 10, 2015 12:13 PM
Oct 2015
I just hope this anime dont becomes into a harem...

History seems good, like this anime :)
Oct 10, 2015 12:23 PM

Feb 2015
really enjoyable episode. the soundtrack is particularly good with a very nice ED. Animation quality is very good which is typical of A1 these days. It doesn't bother me it's cliché in parts
Oct 10, 2015 12:38 PM

Dec 2010
Average episode..very up and down voice acting..animation also improved..ending very good..claudia undoubtedly the best girl and has the best voice actor..2.5/5..average voice acting+uneeded fanservice in the middle..
Mim
Oct 10, 2015 12:50 PM

Oct 2014
I went in to this blindly, well, i'm not disappointed.. yet. This show has a great OP.. i just hope it keeps this up until the end, good char dev, cool action

Oct 10, 2015 12:58 PM

Jan 2014
[size=250]THAT ED SONG!!!! Holy shit that was beautiful[/size]

Oct 10, 2015 1:02 PM
Aug 2012
skudoops said:

Well they removed part about Claudia telling Ayato to come through that route..........not his fault. He was shocked because normally a girl would be dressed properly since she arranged the meeting but Claudia likes to troll. Stop making a fuss about simple things.

Btw do you walk in a girl's dormitory through the front door late at night especially to meet someone famous? My good you must be pretty badass in your imagination.

nakedfoxspirit said:
I went in to this blindly, well, i'm not disappointed.. yet. This show has a great OP.. i just hope it keeps this up until the end, good char dev, cool action

Full versions of OP and ED are pretty good as well.

Oct 10, 2015 1:09 PM
Jan 2012
Ending song is great.
Oct 10, 2015 1:34 PM
Jul 2018
I only like Saya so far in the anime. Other characters are pretty meh.
Oct 10, 2015 1:45 PM

Jan 2009
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
Ophis said:

Kirin > Julis

Nope she is still behind Claudia and a certain someone.

Julis is still on top though.

Oct 10, 2015 1:46 PM

Feb 2012
Officially watching this for Saya. She probably smokes weed everday
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 10, 2015 1:52 PM

Dec 2011
Looks like the weapon of his sister passed down to him.
Seriously can't wait once we have more battles... but it looks like we will have to see more of the characters.
Oct 10, 2015 1:53 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Still pretty generic but much better than the first episode at least. The main thing that stands out is the production value though.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 10, 2015 2:14 PM
May 2012
Saya so cute <3 and great scene with Ayato fight with that sword.
Oct 10, 2015 2:42 PM

Mar 2014
This was actually way better than the first episode of you ask me. I'm really enjoying the BGM/OST's from this anime. That ending song is also just.. ♥
As soon as that Ogre Lux was shown - it was pretty much confirmed that Ayato would receive it in the end.

That big guy is also obviously going to turn into an antagonist..
Oct 10, 2015 2:47 PM

Apr 2014
Saya is here yay!
So Ayato gets the same weapon as his sister huh and damn 97%...
Saya's weapon is too op haha
Best girl ranking: Claudia>Saya>Julis (Kirin not yet introduce so not sure on where she belong in yet)...I don't like Julis at all.
Oct 10, 2015 2:55 PM

Apr 2014
TheNaturalPerm said:
GenesisAria said:

Real life is full of cliche's too. No reason to be annoyed by them.

Made me cringe. Are you serious? You're going to use that as a way to excuse complete lack of any creativity in character/story writing?
Jeez some people.

GenesisAria said:

There's more of familiar things because watchers and writers alike desire those things, so they keep showing up.

Yup, and what do we learn from that? The people watching the same magic light novel show over and over again have really low standards. It's understandable to use the same things over and over again if your target audience doesn't give a shit and will be entertained by the good old copy paste story anyway.

A sad thing really.

Can I ask why you are still watching these cliche anime? As you can see, some people like it so don't go and ruin the fun for them people like me. Have a nice day.
Oct 10, 2015 2:58 PM

Sep 2010
Wow, Ayato is overpowered from the beginning, huh?
I look forward to the next episode! =D

"to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -a magnet
Oct 10, 2015 3:22 PM

Jul 2014
So the next episode name is "A Holiday for Two" hope it isn't obligatory fanservice beach/pool/hot spring/swimsuit episode
ED was kinda nice but OP is unskippable for me to damn catchy
Oct 10, 2015 3:25 PM

Apr 2013
Oh boy now it's a harem.
Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Dec 19, 2015

203 by Neemesis_2 »»
Aug 22, 5:23 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 12, 2015

119 by Neemesis_2 »»
Aug 22, 4:45 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 5, 2015

111 by Neemesis_2 »»
Aug 22, 4:19 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2015

113 by Neemesis_2 »»
Aug 21, 9:19 AM

Poll: » Gakusen Toshi Asterisk Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 21, 2015

117 by Neemesis_2 »»
Aug 21, 8:50 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.