Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 19, 2015 9:17 AM

Jun 2014
The ending promised some back story *yay*
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 19, 2015 9:25 AM

Jul 2014
I still dont know what the rules for that tournament was. Did anyone win??
Shirayuki= Most Perfect Female MC ever
Jan 19, 2015 9:34 AM

Jan 2008
Didn't expect the teacher to be the culprit.

Lol. Toru, an Avenger. I'm guessing this Otoha will be codenamed Loki? I'm already imagining their new teacher with an eyepatch.
Jan 19, 2015 10:36 AM

May 2014
I knew it! I knew that bunny-girl teacher was a psycho
"I lost all of what you could call feelings of love. They weren't sealed, so they can't be released. They weren't broken, so they can't be fixed. That which is lost, cannot be recovered." Shiba Tatsuya
"There are no regrets. If one can be proud of one's life, one should not wish for another chance." Saber
"No matter what happens, no matter how crazy things get, I'll always try to restore balance." Korra
"It's madness to let others take what's yours and accept it blindly." Baatar Jr
"Instinct is a lie, told by a fearful body, hoping to be wrong." Zaheer
"Partner in crime, partner in time" Chloe Price and Max Caulfield
Jan 19, 2015 10:52 AM

Aug 2013
The Duo of Tooru and Julie is really strong, but the most impressive is that besides the force the past of them is also similar, I was more curious now about the development of the story ..
Jan 19, 2015 12:26 PM

Jun 2014
The first few fights were super lame. holy shit that girl has a HUGE blaze. I'm surprised shes able to lift it at all!
The fight with the teacher was rather intense too. Though i think the subs messed up the translations of the "confession" of Tor to Julie. either that or I missed something. What did Julie mean when she said it was their practice of "En and To"
I LOVE the animation of the OP. Its amazing. Btw.
And yeah I noticed the change too.
Oh shit the little Loli has a nasty ass (glowing?) scar!
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Jan 19, 2015 12:32 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
That was a good episode. Really intense fight at the end there. Professor Bun Bun kicks ass. At first I thought she was evil, but I'm guessing this is actually just part of the test.

Nice development with Julie at the end there too. Can't wait to see more Blaze fights.
Jan 19, 2015 12:38 PM
Apr 2013
Sure this anime is super generic, but it atleast does it well-ish unlike world break.
Jan 19, 2015 12:54 PM

Apr 2012
LAME! This episode sucked. None of the characters make any sense.

If someone's Blaze is supposed to be a materialization of their soul, how does the faint-hearted, unconfident, meak Miyabi Hotaka end up with lace larger than her that it looks like she can barely use properly, who did she beat to get past the entrance ceremony; and how does supposed revenge-seeker Tooru Kokonoe end up with a shield???

None of this makes sense, and on top of that, pretty much the whole episode was HORRIBLY executed, dull, boring, and majorly cliche, especially the fight scenes. I am done with this anime.
Jan 19, 2015 12:57 PM

Feb 2014
Didn't think the teacher was bad... I really liked her :/
Jan 19, 2015 1:03 PM

Apr 2010
It's a real shame that this was so rushed in particular the fight with Tomoe and Miyabi was way better in the Light Novel.
They also did a bad just with bringing out Rito's personality during the fight her fight.

Seems they ignore Blaze level completely which would have added some depth but i guess they didn't have the time to explain.
Jan 19, 2015 1:07 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
never trust a rabbit

that fight felt kinda poorly executed in general though :/
Jan 19, 2015 1:18 PM

Aug 2013
Interesting episode! I didn't trust Bunny-Sensei anyway. She's funny and I still like her.

makoa69 said:
Absolute shit.

Lol!
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Jan 19, 2015 1:19 PM
Jul 2010
Man, that sensei is brutal, so is she finish or not yet?
yeo
Jan 19, 2015 1:21 PM

Nov 2014
The battle against that teacher was awesome!!! I'm surprised bunny teacher ended up being an evil and crazy!

I really wanted Tomoe & Miyabi to beat Tooru & Julie even though I knew that wasn't gonna happen. xD

I can't wait to meet the blonde girl in the next episode, so excited. :3
Jan 19, 2015 1:31 PM
Sep 2012
Nothing much to say except the light novel depicted the fights a whole lot better.

6/10 I like that small little change in the opening.
5/10 Without the change.
Jan 19, 2015 1:54 PM

Apr 2012
This episode was intense. Currently one of my favourites this season :3
Jan 19, 2015 1:57 PM
Apr 2010
0 plot.
Everyone has the strenght of a baby.
It looks like a 9-year-old child made this chapter.
Jan 19, 2015 2:30 PM

Jan 2013
Not bad, I do like the interactions with Tooru and Julie
Jan 19, 2015 2:41 PM

Jul 2012
The plot certainly is not amazing but it was enjoyable to see that evil bunny fight.
Tom's Hardware graphics veteran++ (Legacy)
i7 6700K@4.0 GHz, ASUS Z170 PRO GAMING, RTX 2080, G. Skill RipJaws V 3200MHz 16GB,
Noctua NH-D15, CorsairRM 850x, Win10x64, 1920x1080

MyAnimeList!
Jan 19, 2015 2:53 PM

Apr 2010
Jan 19, 2015 3:19 PM

Aug 2014
I'm a little surprise to know that Julie is an avenger like Tooru...
Besides it's nice they could defeat their sensei. I love the different battles they have done :)
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Jan 19, 2015 3:58 PM

May 2014
L-Ryoshi said:
Is it just me, or is the pacing of this show just god-awful?

First off, why in the world did the Sensei suddenly go full Bat-shit Crazy? They're having an official battle, they breeze through all types of opponents (seriously, was the nurse thing in the LN? They tried seducing Tooru to win? What the heck?), end up reaching the lasst couple, only to have the sensei switch to Yandere-mode, no explanation at all, and start trash-talking and murdering her own students.
Then suddenly, the battle is over, and the school authorities have captured said teacher. Why? Who is she? Was she really bat-shit crazy? Or was she putting on an act to get her students to work better together? Literally no explanation provided for anything.

I feel like this show is skipping any and all explanations and is just running away at break-neck speed with the fights here. Apart from the most base of info-dumps, we really know nothing about this world much, not in the least why they need a school for these Blazes, what these Blazes purpose is exactly. AND why the heck some crazy teacher would want to slaughter her own students (I mean, her mentality was like "I'm the only one who should have a blaze, I'll F'ing Kill all the noobs!").

Suddenly we've skipped to the next day where Tooru is so injured that his arm is in a sling and they're having tea?!?! No, "I wonder why our teacher attacked us and tried to slice our asses off". Just a simple "she was caught" "oh, okay", end conversation...... er.... what?
Julie then stands up after his exclamation of pain and suddenly trips over him (it was crazy fast animated, like 2 seconds max), then the girls come in and your regular harem misunderstandings ensue.

Aaaand then suddenly Tooru and Julie are Avengers...... well that escalated quickly....

The lack of proper explanation of things that are happening, the low budget animation, and the weird way we are transitioning from one scene to the next is getting on my nerves.
Right now the one thing holding my interest here is Tooru's flashback of the bladed swordsman and his currently "mysterious reason" for becoming a Blaze.

QFT ^^
If you hadn't posted this, I probably would have.
I have nothing to fill this space with yet except empty words implying there will be something better here soon.
Oh well.
Grin and bear it.
Jan 19, 2015 4:42 PM
Mar 2013
diegofiuzab said:
That was one of the worst action scenes I've ever seen and the rest was just stupid.
If these are bad, then I wonder, which anime has the best fighting scenes?
Jan 19, 2015 4:56 PM

Dec 2013
All of the nit-picking about this series makes me wonder... What exactly were you expecting when you went into this series? I mean, it was pretty clear from the start that this wasn't going to be some masterpiece of modern anime- the ecchi/harem tags should have given that away.

But, enough of that. From my perspective unless you went into this with, like, super high expectations it's a rather good series. One of my favorites from this season thus far, that may change depending on how this season develops but so far this is one of the top shows for the season for me.

I enjoyed the fights, though the first few went by rather quickly the bunny-sensei fight made up for it rather nicely. Decent development in telling us more about the Blaze's strengths, the way bunny-sensei talked about the way they can change you can see some kind of power-up for Toru coming down the road.

Looking forward to seeing what happens next.
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Jan 19, 2015 5:02 PM

Jan 2013
pizzapunt said:
diegofiuzab said:
That was one of the worst action scenes I've ever seen and the rest was just stupid.
If these are bad, then I wonder, which anime has the best fighting scenes?

Fate/Zero, SAO, Darker than black, (Angel beats, Pandora hearts,) Magi, Hunter x Hunter.. just to name a few.

The fighting scenes in this, so far, have probably been worse than the worst Bleach ever did, so not really hard to beat.
Jan 19, 2015 5:20 PM

Dec 2014
Well that was just very mediocre.
Jan 19, 2015 6:00 PM

Aug 2013
WHAAAT? NO MORE BUNNY TEACHER?! DROPPED.

Anyway, Julie have a serious case of autism. It's still below Mashiro autism level, but still... She just can't read the mood at all.

I found it hilarious that Tooru casually started talking with Miyabi while Julie and Tomoe were fighting x)
I see that the being in duo constraint is really exploited... Also, I loved their sense of tactic : ''We could make an embush, we could isolate an adversary, we could try to see their weakness... Naaaah, let's just go berserk on whoever we meet, lol.''
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Jan 19, 2015 6:22 PM

Dec 2012
antonn said:
Such godly animation.

You mean the OP, right?

The_Bif said:
All of the nit-picking about this series makes me wonder... What exactly were you expecting when you went into this series? I mean, it was pretty clear from the start that this wasn't going to be some masterpiece of modern anime- the ecchi/harem tags should have given that away.

An entertaining anime show.
I agree, but that does not mean people cannot criticize this anime show.
I like anime.
Jan 19, 2015 6:49 PM

May 2014
Now I liked the voice actress for Tsukimi, but was a little weird in some parts were she was using the KuroUsa voice with the ShiroUsa face. I expected her glare to be more sharp than the way they made

The fights were too rushed, AND WE ALREADY FINISHED VOLUME 1 oO
KurukuJan 19, 2015 7:00 PM
Jan 19, 2015 7:09 PM

Oct 2010
Ugh, the Kirito voice is really irking me.

And there goes Usagi-chan, one of the better characters. If only they would just focus on Julie and forget about the rest of the plebs. I honestly couldn't care less about Titty-chan and her inferiority complex. I'd rather have some backstory on Usagi-chan.

Jan 19, 2015 8:27 PM

Mar 2013
I feel like I'm one of the few people here just watching it for entertainment value rather than just to pick holes in every little thing. Yes it has its pitfalls but it's still fun and doesn't rely on endless over the top fanservice to get by. If you want a bad anime this season go watch Yurikuma Arashi.
Slice of Life Anime about the everyday life of a German Philosopher: Nietzschijou.
Jan 19, 2015 8:28 PM

May 2013
I just really want to drop this because of the unnecessary fanservice.

Watch that scene again where Julie falls on Tooru. She basically jumps on top of him.
*insert cringey anime reference here*
Jan 19, 2015 8:47 PM

Jul 2010
Tamura Yukai was freaking good this episode.

The bad thing is that it doesn't make too much sense, I hope to see some explanation in the next episode, and I swear if the teacher comes back like nothing happened I'm gonna drop this.
Jan 19, 2015 8:59 PM

Mar 2013
I'm not going to lie, I actually enjoyed this episode.
Tsukimi was all along a bitch indeed....never liked her in the first place...
I'm curious as to how she got the job as a teacher.
Jan 19, 2015 9:26 PM

Dec 2013
A nice moment between Tooru and Hotaka, she has the best boobs.

That fight with Bunny-sensei had some horrible choreography. Her voice was really annoying anyways, so i'm glad she's gone, and lol that tone change, felt forced imo but whatever.

Overall a predictable episode, i eye rolled a few times but they introduced an interesting plot point, Blazes can kill people depending on the user's intentions.

3.3/5 MC STOP HAVING FLASHBACKS ABOUT KIRITO PLEASE
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 19, 2015 10:19 PM

Aug 2012
Amazing fight choreography and animation. I especially liked the part where Toru stood in place holding his shield up like a statue the whole time.
Jan 19, 2015 10:33 PM

Mar 2012
Wow. This has to be one of the worst action-centered episodes I've ever watched.

The problem isn't that AD isn't flashy. A great many series have done well with its action scenes despite not being flashy (e.g. Akame ga Kill), but AD's battles were just poorly orchestrated. Perhaps part of this was because the LN itself wasn't that well written, but it's still hard to deny that the production company cut a lot of corners in this episode when it should've been a relatively interesting fight.

Aside from the battle scene itself, there are two other parts where things looked awkward and out of place. First, that part with Hotaka coming out and ending with ONE thrust. It's especially ridiculous that Tooru actually complemented Hotaka despite that she was completely useless in the fight. At least give her a few more seconds of action before having her give up. Second, that part where the teacher slashed up Tora's Blaze. Blazes have never been destroyed so easily. Maybe it had to do with how Tora's Blaze was out of his hands by the time it was being cut up, but in any case it would've made no sense because the teacher's was destroyed in one punch when it was in her hands. Does Tooru's punch have some special property? When he punched the tree, it didn't look like it was stronger than hitting something with a Blaze.

Anyway, maybe the source material was weak too, but they are sure screwing up this adaptation. In general though the series this season are just exceptionally weak.
Jan 19, 2015 10:48 PM

Apr 2009
AlexTheRiot said:
Amazing fight choreography and animation. I especially liked the part where Toru stood in place holding his shield up like a statue the whole time.

That was some epic shit right there.

Honestly, I enjoyed this episode for all the wrong reasons. The fights were so intensely bad I started laughing by the time I got to the chain whip blue hair girl fight part. Then her partner stabs her gigantic lance into his dinky shield thing! and she gives up after a few seconds.

Also they have not explained a damn thing. What are they even training to fight against? Why is the teacher randomly evil? Why did they all have to fight all the other students anyway? Just because? What a mess.
Jan 19, 2015 11:29 PM

Jul 2014
Usagi Sensei insta fav character.
nice episode.
Jan 19, 2015 11:36 PM

Jul 2014
Riotstarter said:
I feel like I'm one of the few people here just watching it for entertainment value rather than just to pick holes in every little thing. Yes it has its pitfalls but it's still fun and doesn't rely on endless over the top fanservice to get by. If you want a bad anime this season go watch Yurikuma Arashi.

Completely agree, see plenty of hypocrites who slag off Absolute Duo, yet they gave the soulless, unfunny and unaware Seirei Tsukai no Blade Dance a freaking 8/10.

Absolute Duo is a fine example of its genre that doesn't devolve into exploitative dribble or overcompensating machismo, and the characters - as charicatured as they are - have a working chemistry that makes it more engaging and developed.
Jan 19, 2015 11:48 PM

Dec 2013
The_Bif said:
It's called criticism. What do expectations have to do with anything? If i see something mediocre, i'm gonna call it out for what it is, the same way i'd praise good execution and laugh at funny moments.

With the exception of the tags and summary, i didn't have any prior knowledge before watching this series, so i wasn't expecting something particularly good or bad.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 20, 2015 1:51 AM

Jul 2014
Lolz what a crazy rabbit.
Jan 20, 2015 2:13 AM
Jan 2012
So... She wasn't a vampire like I was thinking.... I probably should have figured that... Julie and Thor did a number on her anyway, so all is good, especially since her Blaze has been destroyed... On that note, is Tora officially screwed..? Or does he have enough soul left to call upon another one..? I'm not really sure how that works...

Watching Julie and Thor dancing in the Opening made me smile. Good stuff right there.
Jan 20, 2015 7:05 AM

Jan 2013
Riotstarter said:

Ehhhem Yurikuma arashi is a lot better than this. It has cute bears.
Jan 21, 2015 2:03 AM

Mar 2013
That Some crazy bunny!?!,
nice episode, as always rush and full with fanservice,
but lovely ending :)

so what happend in the end with their teacher and Tora team?
Jan 21, 2015 4:02 AM

Feb 2014
So I have read all these comments about how bad the action in this episode was and then I watched the episode... really, this was one of the worst action oriented episodes I ever saw.
Jan 21, 2015 4:14 AM

Jun 2013
Very good episode! Large improvement from the first two episodes :)
Jan 21, 2015 4:23 AM

Dec 2014
3/5 and i drop absolute duo.
Jan 21, 2015 5:02 AM

Aug 2014
liked this episode, the new partner "julie x tooru" winner in test of the dead.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Absolute Duo Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Jan 4, 2015

284 by Dark__Abysse »»
Sep 24, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Absolute Duo Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2015

220 by Baka_God »»
Sep 11, 7:33 PM

Poll: » Absolute Duo Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 15, 2015

99 by Baka_God »»
Sep 11, 6:52 PM

Poll: » Absolute Duo Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 8, 2015

120 by Zwavel »»
Mar 18, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Absolute Duo Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 1, 2015

114 by Bidoof_PMD-EOS »»
Mar 2, 5:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.