Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 19, 2013 12:28 PM

Jan 2010
YumeNoMonogatari said:
I hope this anime won't kill too many characters.

Please not LEDO!

May 19, 2013 12:42 PM

Sep 2009
AoiMizu said:
It feel like deja vu to me.. what anime use this kind of theme...=,= gurren langan??

It feels familar to me with the vajra from macross frontier
May 19, 2013 12:46 PM

Jul 2010
Things certainly picked up this episode. All that conflict between Ledo and the community. Seems Pinion has an ultimate motive which I think will backfire in the end.
May 19, 2013 1:01 PM

Mar 2013
WOW. All that tension and suspense , looks like I'm watching a completely Different anime.
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
May 19, 2013 1:03 PM

Feb 2011
Finally things are starting to get a little interesting again.
May 19, 2013 1:05 PM

Feb 2013
For someone who's supposed to be the creme da la creme of humanity, Ledo is a bit of a dense fucker is he not?
May 19, 2013 1:05 PM

Mar 2013
AoiMizu said:
YumeNoMonogatari said:
I hope this anime won't kill too many characters.

Well, since urobutcher is in this I have bad news for you.
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
May 19, 2013 1:07 PM

Nov 2012
Damn he's spazzin out.
May 19, 2013 1:08 PM

Jul 2009
NFlorianWirthG said:
AoiMizu said:
It feel like deja vu to me.. what anime use this kind of theme...=,= gurren langan??

For me it's more familiar with Hoshi no Koe (Voices of a Distant Star).

Gargantia is getting more interesting with each episode aired, i wasn't expecting such thing but it's great to watch.
Jonny_MhlMay 19, 2013 1:16 PM
May 19, 2013 1:09 PM

Jan 2010
I don't care if other people die or whole fleet in flame!
But not by Ledo's death!

May 19, 2013 1:09 PM

May 2012
SnK and now this.. great.. cant wait for next ep..

May 19, 2013 1:13 PM
Oct 2012
This animation drives me crazy.

I want to like it, there is a lot of reasons to like it, but every episode there is something in it that makes me want to tear out my hair.

Everyone has the things that makes an animation good or bad for them, this differs between people and as such something that makes one person love something can make someone else hate it. Neither is wrong per se as long as one can articulate it. For me I love seamless plots, the type that shows that the author at least thought about what is happening and where it is going. I doesn't have to be perfect mind you, a lot of shows have contradictions, but as long as the author does a job of glossing it over, I don't mind. There can be cracks, but as long as the author uses lacquer there is no problem.

This show though has cracks the size of Texas, and far from the author glossing it over, he seems determined to jam a crowbar in them and make them even wider.

This episode had several such points. First, after Ledo kills the whalesquid the author makes a big deal about how to the people on this ship this is almost a profane act. Okay fine, but then in the next episode you have a group of residents talking about salvaging into the watersquid zone without nary a mention of the ONE thing that is supposed to be Taboo for these people. And then they immediately switch back to "oh this is taboo". Which is it? Not saying that there wouldn't be some people whose greed overcomes the profane, but they wouldn't be so open about it. It would be like someone during a witch craze go on about how they want to go to a witches sabbath to see if there is anything useful. They would have been torn apart.

And then they make things even worse. The whalesquids are not only "sacred" but they are the source of the substantiate that keeps the fleet alive (fish and electricity). This highlights what really drives me crazy. This fleet has survived SOLELY based on the whalesquids, for generations this has been the case, but all of a sudden everyone starts acting like they never noticed this. One can go back and point to similar examples nearly episode: it's like there is no backstory to this show, as if this entire world spontaneously sprang into existence when Ledo arrived. Hell Pokemon has a better backstory to it than this.

Again, its not that the writer doesn't fill in the backstory that drives me crazy. It's that whenever he mentions it he then contradicts it the very next scene as if on purpose. For a detail oriented person such as myself, this is maddening, it makes me want to drag the writer down into the pit with two doors and put a tiger behind both of them.
May 19, 2013 1:13 PM

Jan 2010
Jonny_Mhl said:
NFlorianWirthG said:
AoiMizu said:

For me it's more more familiar with Hoshi no Koe (Voices of a Distant Star).

Gargantia is getting more interesting with each episode aired, i wasn't expecting such thing but it's great to watch.

Marcoss frontier and Hoshi no Koe! Yes...indeed those also got a familiar theme, alien, mech and people that try to protect the planet!

May 19, 2013 1:16 PM

Jan 2011
Was not expecting a split, lets see how this goes.
[center]
May 19, 2013 1:17 PM

Nov 2012
I understand where the people of Gargantia are coming from and why they're pissed at Ledo. He's constantly acting on his own when it comes to these decisions and he doesn't share the same perspective or co-existence policy as theirs but I just can't help but side with Ledo here.

Bellows didn't even explain anything about the whalesquids to him. It's not as if his reaction was completely unexpected. I mean he pulled a gun on a dead one during the festival. She was there. She saw that

And the people are so damn hypocritical. The whalesquids are sacred to you? Then why did you eat them? Why do you have them on your 'special banquet' menu? They use Ledo for everything crucial and then bitch about it when he 'ruins their peace'. He protected their ships from the pirates. He was able to insure they were able to have much more drinking water. He's the reason they can go salvage that crap from the sea. Yet they barely acknowledge him. One or two paychecks yet no explanations. They treat him as if he's supposed to know their culture and understand what to do and not do.

And from Ledo's point of view, they're the ones in a standstill. They're the ones that refuse to understand he's a soldier- through and through. How else do you expect a soldier of that caliber to react? Moreover, they don't even want to know about his culture or what he believes in. Ledo sees himself moving forward. And he is, according to the Alliance's policy- even if it may be wrong. He's doing his job, he's doing what he was born (or maybe cloned) to do. Yet they disregard all that. All of that is part of his culture and who he is. If you disregard that and call it wrong, aren't you disregarding his whole being? Aren't you just waving off all that he is just because it doesn't make sense to you? Aren't you then, calling him an empty shell of a soldier? How else is he supposed to feel?
SpiraiMay 19, 2013 1:32 PM
May 19, 2013 1:22 PM

Nov 2012
Hybridbloodszak said:
So they spend half the season to give Ledo humanity only for his old soldier persona to resurface and conflict with it...

What I find interesting is it could be argued Ledo's hatred for the Hideauze is even stronger now since he can properly process why his anger is there in the first place. Before he was just a soldier with a mission but now he has something to fight for and is emotionally invested with a personal vendetta(friends on Gargantia, himself, past comrades) even if it means separating himself from people who have come to care about him. This couldn't have happened if this was the Ledo from episode 1 or 2

Exactly! And it kind of pisses me off that the people of Gargantia don't realize that. He even said he was prepared to go off alone. He also mentioned that there are other humans in the Alliance fighting for the sake of all humans yet what does Amy and the echelon do? Brush it off because the other humans are probably like him and don't 'understand' them.
May 19, 2013 1:24 PM

Oct 2012
This show could have been amazing. The two main problems are it's only 12 episode and out of those 12 half of them have been pointless, no plot driven episodes.
May 19, 2013 1:25 PM
Oct 2010
And just like that, this show got back interesting again.
May 19, 2013 1:26 PM

Mar 2013
Takuan_Soho said:

I want to like it, there is a lot of reasons to like it, but every episode there is something in it that makes me want to tear out my hair.

Everyone has the things that makes an animation good or bad for them, this differs between people and as such something that makes one person love something can make someone else hate it. Neither is wrong per se as long as one can articulate it. For me I love seamless plots, the type that shows that the author at least thought about what is happening and where it is going. I doesn't have to be perfect mind you, a lot of shows have contradictions, but as long as the author does a job of glossing it over, I don't mind. There can be cracks, but as long as the author uses lacquer there is no problem.

This show though has cracks the size of Texas, and far from the author glossing it over, he seems determined to jam a crowbar in them and make them even wider.

This episode had several such points. First, after Ledo kills the whalesquid the author makes a big deal about how to the people on this ship this is almost a profane act. Okay fine, but then in the next episode you have a group of residents talking about salvaging into the watersquid zone without nary a mention of the ONE thing that is supposed to be Taboo for these people. And then they immediately switch back to "oh this is taboo". Which is it? Not saying that there wouldn't be some people whose greed overcomes the profane, but they wouldn't be so open about it. It would be like someone during a witch craze go on about how they want to go to a witches sabbath to see if there is anything useful. They would have been torn apart.

And then they make things even worse. The whalesquids are not only "sacred" but they are the source of the substantiate that keeps the fleet alive (fish and electricity). This highlights what really drives me crazy. This fleet has survived SOLELY based on the whalesquids, for generations this has been the case, but all of a sudden everyone starts acting like they never noticed this. One can go back and point to similar examples nearly episode: it's like there is no backstory to this show, as if this entire world spontaneously sprang into existence when Ledo arrived. Hell Pokemon has a better backstory to it than this.

Again, its not that the writer doesn't fill in the backstory that drives me crazy. It's that whenever he mentions it he then contradicts it the very next scene as if on purpose. For a detail oriented person such as myself, this is maddening, it makes me want to drag the writer down into the pit with two doors and put a tiger behind both of them.

The people who are wanting to savage in the whalesquid area are not the ones crying taboo!
Where does it say that whalesquids are the one that fuel the electricity?
May 19, 2013 1:26 PM

Nov 2012

lol that's exactly what I was thinking when he started coughing. I was like, is it Light's doing? Or his descendant? =P
May 19, 2013 1:28 PM

Mar 2013
Spirai said:

And the people are so damn hypocritical. The whalesquids are sacred to you? Then why did you eat them? Why do you have them on your 'special banquet' menu?

That was octopus not whalesquid
May 19, 2013 1:29 PM

Nov 2012
prosit said:
how has chamber's battery not died yet?

Maybe it's solar powered? And probably some other stuff, but since they're in space and they're probably going to be huge suns there, I think solar powering is a possibility. I'm more concerned how Ledo's going to get that gunk off of Chamber.
May 19, 2013 1:35 PM

Apr 2008
Best episode in the entire series yet. Finally the plot has returned and it has returned in FORCE.
May 19, 2013 1:36 PM

Sep 2012
StrawHat_ said:
If Ledo traveled back in time and was the one that started the war this anime would be insanely retarded. It would be very illogical and ruin the entire anime for me.

I don't see a SINGLE reason why that would be illogical and retarded. But I highly doubt Ledo traveled to the past because of the frozen Earth situation.

Spirai said:
And the people are so damn hypocritical. The whalesquids are sacred to you? Then why did you eat them? Why do you have them on your 'special banquet' menu?

What's wrong with you? The thing on the table was a simple OCTOPUS, not a WHALESQUID.

Takuan_Soho said:

There are TWO people wanting to invade whalesquid territory, everybody else thinks it's wrong.

Takuan_Soho said:
And then they make things even worse. The whalesquids are not only "sacred" but they are the source of the substantiate that keeps the fleet alive (fish and electricity). This highlights what really drives me crazy. This fleet has survived SOLELY based on the whalesquids, for generations this has been the case, but all of a sudden everyone starts acting like they never noticed this.

Where the fuck did that come from? What gives them electricity are nanomachines left behind by the ancient civilization. It never once said it were the walesquids.
Fenryr19May 19, 2013 1:49 PM
May 19, 2013 1:49 PM
Oct 2012
civilization said:
The people who are wanting to savage in the whalesquid area are not the ones crying taboo!

Sure, but that wouldn't save you from being torn to shreds if you went to India, killed a cow, and then started to flambe it there on the street.

civilization said:
Where does it say that whalesquids are the one that fuel the electricity?

The whole "Heaven's Gate" scene in episode 2. Though its the larvae form of the whalesquid, the sea is the exact same color as when the whalesquid's appeared in this episode. These people have relied on this for generations, they would have noticed the similarity and made the connection even if it wasn't true. After all their existence depends on it.

Litrydow said:
There are TWO people wanting to invade whalesquid territory, everybody else thinks it's wrong.

Nope at least 6 were interested in the plan, they just didn't think it was feasible. But you are missing the point I made above with my first comment. If people respect and fear the whalesquid as much as the show indicated, that conversation would never had occurred in public.
Takuan_SohoMay 19, 2013 2:00 PM
May 19, 2013 1:55 PM

Nov 2012
civilization said:
Spirai said:

That was octopus not whalesquid

Either way, they look similar. Bellows should have remembered to tell Ledo about the sea creatures. Especially if that's how he reacted to an octopus.
May 19, 2013 2:00 PM

Nov 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
The whole "Heaven's Gate" scene in episode 2. Though its the larvae form of the whalesquid, the sea is the exact same color as when the whalesquid's appeared in this episode. These people have relied on this for generations, they would have noticed the similarity and made the connection even if it wasn't true. After all their existence depends on it.

Wait, I think I am missing something, so you are saying that the larvae form of the whalesquid is how they get the energy. I thought it was "nanomachines left behind by the ancient civilization."
May 19, 2013 2:07 PM
Oct 2012
jose21 said:
Wait, I think I am missing something, so you are saying that the larvae form of the whalesquid is how they get the energy. I thought it was "nanomachines left behind by the ancient civilization."

Went back and checked. She said "hikari mushi" which translates to "light bugs" and she specifically called it a "ikimono" which translates to "a living thing". So no, not nanotechnology, and again, given how they both create light under the sea (the only two things that appear to do so), the connection would have been made.

People acting as if they live in a world of bounty even though in at least 3 episodes they mentioned the real threat of scarcity (electricity, water, fish) is one of the gaps the writer continues to widen every time he brings it up.
Takuan_SohoMay 19, 2013 2:14 PM
May 19, 2013 2:07 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Great episode. I think they've raised the stakes by showing in previous episodes how the daily life in Gargntia can be blissful, and now they can threaten that way of life.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 19, 2013 2:08 PM

Nov 2012
prosit said:

i've been wondering that since the anime started
May 19, 2013 2:10 PM
Feb 2013
prosit said:

I'm guessing that chamber runs on a (semi)self-sustaining power source, since energy consumption hasn't been a concern thus far. In fact, Ledo seems to use it quite freely, seeing how he is constantly using his laser pistol to carve flutes. The only finite resource appears to be oxygen.
May 19, 2013 2:24 PM

Nov 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
Went back and checked. She said "hikari mushi" which translates to "light bugs" and she specifically called it a "ikimono" which translates to "a living thing". So no, not nanotechnology, and again, given how they both create light under the sea (the only two things that appear to do so), the connection would have been made.

Well, Technically nanotechnology could be batteria based, so "a living thing" fact is quite irrelevant, but you are right, the way they produce the same light under the water is quite suspicious.
May 19, 2013 2:29 PM

Jan 2011
Gargantians still continue to piss me off.
May 19, 2013 2:35 PM

May 2011
I think i understand more about the previous episodes being somewhat of a Ledo growth and acceptance phase into the Gargantia society.

This would then offer a stronger conflict when he realizes that the humans there live a symbiotic co-existence with the hidaeuze/whalesquid, rather than being their mortal enemies as he's been brought up to believe. I think Chamber surmises this during the episode. However, Ledo can't bring himself to deal with it. His soldier indoctrination still holds a firm grasp on his psyche.

Ugg, that whole Captain having a heart-attack could have been done better. It was way to contrived to be taken seriously.They even had scenes earlier in the episode that could have been used to illustrate warning signs of him being in ill health.

But HEY, all you gen fans got your first death. Maybe now with a dangerous mission we might see more.
May 19, 2013 2:36 PM

Sep 2008
I.LOVE.THIS.SHOW.

If there's one thing I want from anime it's that characters are consistent and they don't change their life views based on a few days in life.
And Ledo didn't do it. He remained what he was. He fought his whole life and he didn't decide to let it all go just due to few days spent on Gargantia.
Consistency. I love it.
Can't wait to see what's going to happen next. Great show.
May 19, 2013 2:42 PM
Oct 2012
jose21 said:
Well, Technically nanotechnology could be batteria based, so "a living thing" fact is quite irrelevant

True, it is irrelevant, but it is irrelevant for a different reason for the people on the boat: they wouldn't know the difference. For them bacteria/nanotechnology would be the same thing. You know the difference, they do not, so they would just assume it was a life form.

I am only bringing this up because it addresses the point I am trying to make about the writer: these people don't act like they would if they lived in the world that has been described to us. In most shows the author would gloss over this fact, here however the writer seems completely ignorant of the fact because he always highlights it. For a plot driven, detail oriented person, it is extremely frustrating, its like having salt poured into an open wound.
May 19, 2013 2:43 PM

Apr 2008
At least the plot is developing with this latest episode. I have a suspicion that the Hideauze originated from Earth and pretty much only attack when provoked. But the idea of them also attacking because they need energy is also a possibility. Also how convenient for the Fleet Commander to have a heart attack right at the end. -_-

May 19, 2013 2:47 PM

Apr 2011
Takuan_Soho said:

I don't think whalesquid hold as much reverence as you think. Although their existence may depend on the squid, they have already seen the alternative through Ledo and his advanced technology. The reason for the taboo may simply be that they have no means of fighting the whalesquid, until now. There are still people who think of it as taboo because they recognize the potential danger of such an action but opportunity converts the more capitalistic in society. Their desire (even if for profit) to reclaim humanity's ancient glory would triumph over something like tradition, much like the enlightenment thinkers desire for progress prior to the revolutions. With Ledo’s arrival, it has confirmed the very real possibility of existing without being bound by the whalesquid. In the third world we see many people throwing away their cultural identity and destroying their sacred lands in the name of economics. The people of Gargantia want to play catch up with Avalon, and who could blame them?
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
May 19, 2013 2:47 PM

Apr 2013
Good episode.. but the heart attack was meh.. In a darker show I would've love to see Pinion or the commander that wanted to leave with him kill the captain.
May 19, 2013 2:48 PM

Jun 2008
Oh shit, things are gonna start going down. I wonder if, assuming they explore Whalesquid/Hideauze territory, they'll find some sort of evidence regarding why the galaxy is the way it is? I'm kind of expecting that. But first comes some internal drama with Fleet Commander looking like he's about to die.
May 19, 2013 2:56 PM

Feb 2013
I have to say that I both like and don't like this episode. I can see both sides of their argument, but I still don't like it. Gargantia seems to hold the whalesquids as sacred, and yet are afraid of them. Red is still a soldier and as he finds out that the whalesquids and the Hideauze are the same he swears to kill them all before they destroy the Earth. Gargantia seems to hold that as long as they don't bother them and keep all power off, they won't be harmed, but Red argues that they haven't been attacked yet because they aren't developed enough. Are the Hideauze attracted to energy and power? And since the Alliance is more developed and can't "power down completely" seeing as they are in Space, I can see this solution not working for the Alliance.

Gargantia is just too different, they live life too simply for Red's life rules to apply, and their rules wouldn't work in space. Red can't stop being a soldier, it's who he is. He's doing it to save lives, but Gargantia is trying to do the same. I don't think it was fair of Bevel and Amy to try to guilt Red as if by "being his own person" he wouldn't be a soldier. He's seen his people killed and ravaged by these things, he can't just let it go. And he doesn't want anything to happen to the people of Earth.

The old captain seems to be in trouble too, and in a way, his philosophy of "live and let live" is what's wrong with Gargantia. You can't just live life without a care in the world without ever trying to advance, just surviving. And then when trouble comes you hide your heads in the sand. That's no way to live.

I'm interested in how the Earth spawned the Hideauze and how they were able to go to Space? What will Pinion and Red find when they go into whalesquid territory? Will it be the secret behind the Hideauze?

The show is still in the just okay section, but it's beginning to pick up. I give this a 7.75/10.
IreneshardaMay 19, 2013 3:05 PM
May 19, 2013 3:03 PM

Sep 2012
Damn I really thought ledo was going to attack, there wasn't much action but was still a great episode. I found it funny when ledo pushed amy out of the way
May 19, 2013 3:07 PM

Apr 2013
I personally liked it, it's pretty intense now and it's got me curious for the next episode.
Honestly, if he wants do destroy the whalesquids he's got the rights to do it even though it would be cruel i suppose. Idk honestly they are just a bunch of squids who are related to the Hideauze that got Ledo on edge. Just destroy them already or something.
-I've always wanted to go to japan one day... :/
(Help on how to get an animated gif on signature here would be nice. :)
May 19, 2013 3:12 PM
May 2011
somehow this plot remind me of attack on titan,
most people are afraid to whalesquid, similar to human race in SnK afraid of Titan...

they believe if they just live in peace, nothing gonna happen...

yet ............
May 19, 2013 3:13 PM

Jun 2012
AoiMizu said:
I feel sorry for Ledo it not his fault that he automatic kill that whalesquid! His experience from war with Hideauze make him trauma and kill them.....TT^TT

BTW...Ledo got tanned now. His skin a bit darker from before.
>>>>

Nice I diddnt even notice lol. Damn that was a lot of "whale squid" and it seems the fleet will be divided and that's probably not a good thing.

Ledo really diddnt do anything wrong, how was he supposed to know that they don't kill that particular creature. And the captain is probably dead so that more bad news.
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

May 19, 2013 3:18 PM

Dec 2009
I guess this shift in mood will stay with the series for now. Not sure if I liked it, though. Didn't feel natural (even a bit forced) and the characters acted like... ugh.

I guess they'll find Ledo's techs deep underwater and it turns out this may be the future or something.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

May 19, 2013 3:19 PM

Nov 2009
Hmm even if Gargantia fights with the whalesquid, they have nothing to fight, not even a weapon. With the current technology and life style, it's hard enough to even survive (electricity depends on light bugs, water is harvested from rains, etc). If a war started, the whalesquid would exterminate them.

The only reason for them to not attack on the fleet is that the civilization is underdeveloped so they technically ignore Gargantia fleet(and people on Earth). It's a matter of time before they strike, but even then what can Earth people do? It's logical for them to co-exist with the whalesquid, at least at the current time.
May 19, 2013 3:20 PM

May 2009
Serioulsy, his tan was noticed last week
May 19, 2013 3:32 PM

Apr 2009
This show just did a straight vertical rise in terms of drama and suspense.. loved it!!
May 19, 2013 3:32 PM

Apr 2013
bastek66 said:
Serioulsy, his tan was noticed last week
lol @ ep 12
Pages (9) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jun 30, 2013

502 by Titadou »»
Sep 24, 8:43 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2013

346 by Titadou »»
Sep 21, 11:24 PM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2013

670 by Titadou »»
Sep 20, 11:57 PM

» Gargantia Season 2 Cancelled

DawnJ - Apr 5, 2015

37 by Drakath_V »»
Sep 16, 2:47 AM

Poll: » Suisei no Gargantia Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 21, 2013

579 by Titadou »»
Sep 6, 11:15 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.