Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: Second Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 28, 2013 8:25 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Nadekoooo

I find the snake to be pretty amusing, even if it seems sinister.
Dat reunion with Arararararagi-kun and Nadeko. Great reunion. I think Kana Hanazawa did a really good job this episode with her role. "Koyomi-niichan"

"Kakakakaka"
Sep 28, 2013 8:32 AM

Dec 2009
Sep 28, 2013 8:43 AM

Nov 2012
yey yeah :3 gonna wait for the sub for this one :3
I want more fight scene :3

Akiyama said:
( ´∀`)つhttp://folderman-x.com/s/xf9568.jpg

hmm ;3

After Watched :3
KAKAKAKAKA~~ :3
Kyuuketsuki PUNCH! XD
love this episode so much.. damn shinobu wearing a new dress. :3 I like it! XD really like it.. and koyomi too.. black.. all black.. grr.. Really Really Love it! XD
YokamotaOct 1, 2013 1:29 AM
Sep 28, 2013 10:27 AM

Sep 2012
makarov52 said:
yey yeah :3 gonna wait for the sub for this one :3
I want more fight scene :3

Akiyama said:

hmm ;3

You got a fight scene right there, too bad it was over with one vampire punch (uppercut) LOL

And who needs tentacles when you have snakes???
Sep 28, 2013 10:38 AM
Dec 2012
Decent episode. Glad the character development of Nadeko was not rushed. She was fairly innocent back then. Hard to imagine she turns out a formidable enemy to Araragi later. Kuchinawa a bit reminded me of Draig from High School DxD.
Sep 28, 2013 10:52 AM

Jul 2013
Akiyama said:

what the... i dont even...

dear god no, i can see doujins coming >_>
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Sep 28, 2013 11:14 AM

Mar 2010
Urek said:
Akiyama said:

The doujins have been out there for so long already.
Sep 28, 2013 11:34 AM

Nov 2012
Hehe, she seemed really excited to sleep on his bed. XD Laughed so hard at Shinobu putting an end to araragi's pervy ways in stylish fashion. Also, really liking the snake, since I love anything reptilian and like the conversations it has with her, since it forces her to speak more, while she's more reserved with people..

Sep 28, 2013 11:37 AM

Apr 2013
Nadeko is sooo cute. Shinobu's uppercut on Araragi haha <3
Sep 28, 2013 11:41 AM

Jul 2013
Nadekoooooooooo <3

Seems like Tsukihi got her short hair back. Hmmm I wonder if Koyomi creeps on his sleeping sisters every night?
Sep 28, 2013 12:15 PM

Nov 2012
yukaru00 said:
Urek said:
Akiyama said:

The doujins have been out there for so long already.

new one :3
Sep 28, 2013 5:51 PM

Mar 2013
I want more Nadeko, hopefully the snake can get her to talk more since she's pretty shy and reserved. Wonder how she developed into that state
Sep 28, 2013 6:27 PM

Aug 2012
before this episode i really didn't know what to think about nadeko's character...she always seemed kind of boring and bland to me but thanks to shinobu breaking down her character at the end i have a much better understanding of nadeko. i personally loved this episode 5/5 imo
Sep 28, 2013 7:11 PM

Jan 2011
tankoubon-feind said:
before this episode i really didn't know what to think about nadeko's character...she always seemed kind of boring and bland to me but thanks to shinobu breaking down her character at the end i have a much better understanding of nadeko. i personally loved this episode 5/5 imo
my thoughts also was kinda Meh on her untill shinobu broke her down like that bit more interested in her change now.

despite the serious talk i was dying when not only shinobu knocked out araragi-kun but started dragging him out
Sep 28, 2013 7:25 PM

Mar 2012
This episode gave me a new appreciation for Nadeko. She's still #worstgirl, but she's more interesting than I thought. I enjoyed the dialogue between her and the snake.

Shinobu is as awesome as ever.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Sep 28, 2013 7:48 PM

Aug 2012
Shinobu's breakdown of Nadeko's character was awesome. That back and forth was quite nice and shed some much needed light on Nadeko's character. Shinobu giving Araragi an uppercut was great, had me laughing. This was 5/5 episode for me.

Sep 28, 2013 8:01 PM

Jul 2012
SHINOBU, put down the real talk!!!!

Great episode!!!
Sep 28, 2013 8:27 PM

Jan 2011
http://i.imgur.com/adacyde.png
Cool room, nice view.

Just like with Hanekawa its interesting to see how Shinobu interacts with the other girls. I noticed some foreshadowing mixed into that conversation. That's also a nice new outfit she has.

http://oi42.tinypic.com/ozsrp.jpg
Dat seductive Nadaeko, I don't blame Koyomi for giving into his lust.
http://i.imgur.com/LXfbg2d.gif
Goddamn not even her baggy overalls can hide that butt.
http://oi41.tinypic.com/1zd2cys.jpg
kyuuketsuki punch!
VioLinkSep 28, 2013 9:00 PM
[center]
Sep 28, 2013 8:42 PM

Jun 2012
Stitches327 said:
Shinobu's breakdown of Nadeko's character was awesome. That back and forth was quite nice and shed some much needed light on Nadeko's character. Shinobu giving Araragi an uppercut was great, had me laughing. This was 5/5 episode for me.

Ditto.

I'm not sure if they ever had revealed this in the anime before this episode, but I was surprised that Shinobu feels Araragi's pain. I wonder if it's vice versa. I knew that the two were tied to each other, but I was never sure to what point it was.

Damn, I love this anime. :3
Sep 28, 2013 8:44 PM

May 2013
Yay for Shinobu!!!! Didnt have much interest in the episode until she showed up.
Sep 28, 2013 8:52 PM

Jan 2013
Shinobu's upper cut lol! And Shinobu's breakdown of Nadeko was good. This episode was good.
Sep 28, 2013 9:20 PM

Aug 2010
KYUKETSKI PUNCH!!!!
I need a gif of that NAO!
Sep 28, 2013 9:46 PM

Jul 2013
Czechbiohazard said:
I'm not sure if they ever had revealed this in the anime before this episode, but I was surprised that Shinobu feels Araragi's pain. I wonder if it's vice versa. I knew that the two were tied to each other, but I was never sure to what point it was.

I remember it being explained in Nisemonogatari when Karen was beating the living crap out of Koyomi XD

kuuurt said:
Well, first part of this episode was pretty boring, to be honest. Nothing really ever happened in the first part, except the fact that Nadeko lied. Or maybe I'm missing something. Is the first part supposed to show the true nature of Nadeko? I'm not really sure, but let me just speak my mind while I'm typing this. Was the first part there to actually give a character for Nadeko, and the second part to make her realize her true self? If that's the case, then I'll accept it. The second part was perfectly done. The humor, the portrayal of Shinobu (ignoring the fact the she's my 5everwaifu) and the breaking down of Nadeko's nature was amazing.

I don't really know myself, but I believe they were emphasizing on how much Kaiki's curses affected that class and shows how the class views Nadeko. I think it has something to do with how the class always looks at Nadeko as the 'victim' and that subconsious thought of wanting to get taken care of. That subtle black and white smile on Nadeko's face at the park when she found out Koyomi was looking for her says some things. And I guess the very first part shows what the snake's favor is.

I still haven't truly analyzed on all the new character development of Nadeko in this episode so this is just a hypothesis or something of the sort.
Sep 28, 2013 10:07 PM
(Gamer)

Aug 2009
Shinobu was great this episode. Gotta love Maaya Sakamoto's voice acting. <3

Sep 28, 2013 10:10 PM

Nov 2012
Damn these characters freak me out. Sengoku was so timid and she gets so nervous when people talk to her. Most of the characters in this anime has some really deep psychological issues.
Sep 28, 2013 10:30 PM

May 2013
creep staring at his sister while she sleeps........lol
Sep 28, 2013 10:47 PM

Aug 2010
TassadarV said:
Yay for Shinobu!!!! Didnt have much interest in the episode until she showed up.

Same here. She really looked good in her black clothes. I just noticed that Shinobu's been getting a lot of screen time this season.
Sep 28, 2013 10:48 PM

Jul 2013
Boring episode until the KYUKETSUKI PUNCH! lol

Shinobu saved the show.. although it'd be interesting to see Koyomi and Nadeko sleep in one bed, she's my favorite girl outside of Shinobu. Too bad she's becoming a monster -_-
Sep 28, 2013 11:06 PM

Apr 2013
I'm starting to understand Sengoku now. This seems quite better than her Bakemonogatari arc which, I guess, didn't give anything about her character.
Sep 28, 2013 11:45 PM

Feb 2012
These story archs always end up with someone evaluating/exposing the subtext of the victim. I guess that's what makes this series interesting and deep but it's starting to feel predictable to me. I'm probably just dumb from realizing it just now.
kickmesignSep 28, 2013 11:51 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 29, 2013 12:41 AM

Jul 2011
all I can say Is that I really like the snake!

and also, this season seems to be taking characters I didn't really care about or like before, and giving me a much better appreciation for them.

Again, the snake's pretty awesome!
Sep 29, 2013 12:50 AM

Jan 2013
Great episode.
Really like that Nadeko is the only character not to be clever and well spoken. If I was in her place, I wouldn't really know what do say either. Though, I wouldn't have lied.
Sep 29, 2013 12:56 AM

Mar 2010
Czechbiohazard said:
Ditto.

Damn, I love this anime. :3

They are bound to each other's mind and body.
They can read each other's thought and feel the other's pain.
Even though it is mostly too Shinobu's advantage.
Sep 29, 2013 1:04 AM

May 2013
This was a nice episode. Love how Shinobu is pulling an unconcious Araragi lol.
Sep 29, 2013 1:06 AM

Nov 2010
Haha, Vampire Punch!
As deadly as Touma's Falcon Punch

Shinobu's Logic:
Airhead + Cute = Enchanting
Sep 29, 2013 1:10 AM

Mar 2010
1lau said:
Haha, Vampire Punch!
As deadly as Touma's Falcon Punch

Shinobu's Logic:
Airhead + Cute = Enchanting

Who's airheaded?

kickmesign said:
These story archs always end up with someone evaluating/exposing the subtext of the victim. I guess that's what makes this series interesting and deep but it's starting to feel predictable to me. I'm probably just dumb from realizing it just now.

Oh, believe me, it is pretty unpredictable actually.
You won't believe the twist at the end later on.
Sep 29, 2013 1:17 AM
Sep 2011
This episode certainly didn't hold back on depicting Nadeko as a hopelessly flawed character who possesses at least four major negative personality traits hidden under her endearing outer appearance: Selfishness, irresponsibility, laziness and ignorance.

Selfishness: She lies to her beloved Koyomi, not because she doesn't want him to worry (in fact this thought never graced her mind in the first place as her reaction to the snake god questioning her indicates) but to avert suspicion from herself. Her apologies aren't genuine but rather serve the purpose to be done with whatever unpleasant matter she is occupied with quickly.

Irresponsibility: While admittedly it wasn't her own choice to get assigned as the class rep, she doesn't even try to make the least of an effort to fulfill this position despite being asked to do so vehemently, reassuring herself that she isn't obligated to take action because that role was "forced" on her.

Laziness: Partly this has been covered by the second paragraph already but also when she is asked to search for the deitiy's corpse she is just shown sluggishly poking around the sandbox, whining in the process. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that she didn't find anything with that sort of attitude. She does what she is told like "a good girl" but doesn't put her heart into it.

Ignorance: She utters several remarks that show how much she lacks self-awareness saying things like "I'm a shy, quiet and meek girl" with her lies to herself and to others steadily piling up during this single episode alone. As the snake points out she just disregards things that displease her, sweeping them under the rug and avoiding conflict by not acknowleging these. She averts her eyes, hiding them under her bangs, hoping that by not looking at problems they will go away eventually.
With no doubt this kind of behaviour won't work out anymore and fittingly the search for the corpse could be seen as Nadeko's progress she makes as a person.

The visuals were excellent once again. That double helix staircase with Nadeko on top as the head of the snake image it was imitating was brilliant. Her standing alone in a vast class room surrounded by an army of desks and chairs was only one of many stunning shots this episode.

EudaimoniaSep 29, 2013 2:26 AM
Sep 29, 2013 1:51 AM

Jul 2013
awesome episode, still, i have no idea where to put nadeko's character now...

doesnt she want trouble for others or herself, which is why she lies? what does shinobu mean with that she is more scarier than an actual monster/kaii?
current LN reading:
Death March kara hajimaru isekai kyousoukyoku
translated here
for those who are interested in other forums about animes, check randomc.net, reddit.com/r/anime and forum.animesuki.com
Sep 29, 2013 2:31 AM
Sep 2011
Urek said:
awesome episode, still, i have no idea where to put nadeko's character now...

doesnt she want trouble for others or herself, which is why she lies? what does shinobu mean with that she is more scarier than an actual monster/kaii?

I think the key word here is "enchanting". Nadeko puts others under her spell with her cute and endearing demeanor and thus is able to "manipulate" them to do what she wants by using her charms (looking helpless and innocent among other things). While apparitions appear as threatening from the get-go most of the time and can get singled out as such, Nadeko's "threat" is much more inconspicious and as a result more scary.
Sep 29, 2013 3:54 AM

Apr 2013
Akiyama said:

Damn :o

I really like the conversation between Nadeko and Shinobu.

Araragi - K.O.
Sep 29, 2013 5:04 AM
Jul 2013
Even though she's flawed, you can't help but feel sorry for Nadeko.

Actually, you can't help but feel sorry for every girls in this series....

Tsubasa Hanekawa ~ :c....

Wait.... she's still good friends with Hitagi and Koyomi..... skip that then :P.

Anyway...

Wonder why all the hate on Nadeko from the characters themselves? Just because she's cute and all? o-o
Sep 29, 2013 6:14 AM

Feb 2013
dat vampire punch, I really liked the interaction between Shinobu and Nadeko. I wonder if she'll find the snakes body anytime soon
Sep 29, 2013 6:19 AM

Jan 2012
Oh my poor Nadeko-chan, how low will you sink? The pain I felt while watching this episode was palpable, the lecture at the end from Shinobu was brutal but completely hit the nail on the head. This isn't going to end well.

Eudaimonia said:

Selfishness
Irresponsibility
Laziness
Ignorance

So Nadeko has flaws, just like any other genuine human being on the planet, quick prepare the lynch squad!
ReasonDesuSep 29, 2013 6:30 AM
Sep 29, 2013 6:29 AM

Nov 2012
Eudaimonia said:
This episode certainly didn't hold back on depicting Nadeko as a hopelessly flawed character who possesses at least four major negative personality traits hidden under her endearing outer appearance: Selfishness, irresponsibility, laziness and ignorance.

Selfishness: She lies to her beloved Koyomi, not because she doesn't want him to worry (in fact this thought never graced her mind in the first place as her reaction to the snake god questioning her indicates) but to avert suspicion from herself. Her apologies aren't genuine but rather serve the purpose to be done with whatever unpleasant matter she is occupied with quickly.

Irresponsibility: While admittedly it wasn't her own choice to get assigned as the class rep, she doesn't even try to make the least of an effort to fulfill this position despite being asked to do so vehemently, reassuring herself that she isn't obligated to take action because that role was "forced" on her.

Laziness: Partly this has been covered by the second paragraph already but also when she is asked to search for the deitiy's corpse she is just shown sluggishly poking around the sandbox, whining in the process. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone that she didn't find anything with that sort of attitude. She does what she is told like "a good girl" but doesn't put her heart into it.

Ignorance: She utters several remarks that show how much she lacks self-awareness saying things like "I'm a shy, quiet and meek girl" with her lies to herself and to others steadily piling up during this single episode alone. As the snake points out she just disregards things that displease her, sweeping them under the rug and avoiding conflict by not acknowleging these. She averts her eyes, hiding them under her bangs, hoping that by not looking at problems they will go away eventually.
With no doubt this kind of behaviour won't work out anymore and fittingly the search for the corpse could be seen as Nadeko's progress she makes as a person.

The visuals were excellent once again. That double helix staircase with Nadeko on top as the head of the snake image it was imitating was brilliant. Her standing alone in a vast class room surrounded by an army of desks and chairs was only one of many stunning shots this episode.

Thanks for deconstructing it like this, was looking for an analysis like this.

Sep 29, 2013 6:54 AM
Sep 2011
ReasonDesu said:

Eudaimonia said:

Selfishness
Irresponsibility
Laziness
Ignorance

So Nadeko has flaws, just like any other genuine human being on the planet, quick prepare the lynch squad!

Don't misunderstand me, I'm neither trying to denunciate her nor painting her as a devil (though I do think she is portrayed as a spoilt kid). In fact I think these are welcome attributes that make her more interesting as a character and thus more compelling to watch, especially since I thought she was pretty bland in her first arc. And let's face it, she's a 15-years old teenager, so her behaviour isn't that uncommon nor is it totally unexcusable (as you implied).
EudaimoniaSep 29, 2013 7:04 AM
Sep 29, 2013 6:59 AM

Mar 2013
ReasonDesu said:
Oh my poor Nadeko-chan, how low will you sink? The pain I felt while watching this episode was palpable, the lecture at the end from Shinobu was brutal but completely hit the nail on the head. This isn't going to end well.

Eudaimonia said:

Selfishness
Irresponsibility
Laziness
Ignorance

Having flaws makes a good character. For one thing flaws destroy the possibility of the character being a mary sue which is a good thing
CederzSep 29, 2013 7:03 AM
Izayoi’s personal philosophy is “To suppress and control both the strong and weak.”
Sep 29, 2013 6:59 AM

Mar 2010
Nadeko is not really a lazy person.
She just doesn't put effort on something that doesn't interest her.
Sep 29, 2013 7:09 AM
Feb 2013
whoa, do you mean that the 12 episode was a prequel to the Nadeko Medusa?

I wonder if Koyomi was peeking underneath her sister's Kimono while she taking lying down on her bed talking on her cell?
Sep 29, 2013 7:14 AM
Sep 2011
yukaru00 said:
Nadeko is not really a lazy person.
She just doesn't put effort on something that doesn't interest her.

Maybe I would see her in a different light if she had shown some ambition in other subjects or made her position clear as to why she actively (in opposite to going with the flow) chooses to do things this way. Instead she is shown lounging on her bed and lazing around in her free time when not occupied with supernatural stuff, doing things she is assigned to half-heartedly and choosing the easy way out in general.
EudaimoniaSep 29, 2013 7:28 AM
Sep 29, 2013 7:42 AM

May 2013
Shinobu is too kawaiiiiii <<<<<3333333

LOL with her jealous faces, and what a cute upper cut

and LOL when she said "you are the next cute thing to me" !!! LOL

5/5
na358999Sep 29, 2013 7:47 AM
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2013

418 by SouthRzVa »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 13, 2013

296 by SanessyAdversary »»
Yesterday, 5:17 AM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Barion-Zara - Nov 8, 2013

122 by SouthRzVa »»
May 23, 8:06 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 6, 2013

434 by SanessyAdversary »»
May 23, 2:04 AM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2013

212 by eblf2013 »»
May 22, 3:27 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.