Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 29, 2011 9:31 PM

Jun 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
WOAHHH Hisoka is pretty badass with those cards

Finally, Leorio beats Kurapika at something

Killua is just beast i love him

And damn gotta love that mexican guitar music for Hisoka :)
Oct 29, 2011 9:47 PM

Jul 2010
AWESOME!

Pace really slowed down. Hisoka's really cool :) Phase Two next time!
Wow.. only 148 remaining.

I love the whole 'exam' atmosphere, that's why I loved some parts of the first season of Naruto so much. Seeing it done so much better here is awesome.. I love it!
Oct 29, 2011 9:56 PM

Nov 2006
Whoo, a couple frames of Menchi!
She looks better with pink hair... though I think it's actually her tan that's throwing me off

Hisoka raping people was great except I wanted to see some blood ;-[

Pika fanservice

Oct 29, 2011 10:32 PM

Mar 2009
Next week on Hunter x Hunter: suddenly, Aya Hirano!

Great episode. The fight with Hisoka was well done. And his seiyuu did a great job as well.
Oct 29, 2011 11:04 PM
Jun 2010
LOL I somewhat liked this episode. Looks like Hisoka does keep a lot of his perversion in this version. Did you guys see the way he looked at Gon when he was choking him. He got off on just his facial expression while choking him. Still as sadistic as ever.

"There is someone that I must meet again. And until that day... not even Death himself can take my life away!"
Oct 29, 2011 11:09 PM

Feb 2008
i forgot that the first few episodes till they get into the Nen abilities are kinda boring. still this was fun to watch.....

no blood though.
Oct 29, 2011 11:37 PM

Jun 2009
I'm sure some fans of the original anime will still somehow complain. But, really, I don't know how this could have been done better. Sure there wasn't any blood, but Hisoka was still without a doubt killing the shit out of all those people and he still keeps his perversion.

Great episode.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 29, 2011 11:54 PM
Jun 2009
I'm not sure I understand why there isn't any blood. I'm not saying there needs to be but if you're going to show people getting eaten, impaled by spikes, and cards thrown into their heads it kind of makes a bit more sense.
Oct 30, 2011 12:50 AM

Oct 2007
I can deal with the lack of blood in this episode because Hisoka was freaking awesome! He was creepy and perverted and gorgeous and exactly what he's supposed to be in this episode. If they'd changed his personality that much, I wouldn't have had any hope for the series, but I see that's not the case and am super excited.

Just not in that way. Geez, I wish they'd worded Gon's lines a bit better; the translation I had included him saying excited and while it's okay for Hisoka to be creepy, it's too much for them to have Gon reciprocate it, even if he doesn't exactly mean the same thing.

That was a great episode. Totally looking forward to next week!
Oct 30, 2011 12:52 AM

Oct 2011
Great episode but we need blood
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 30, 2011 12:57 AM

Dec 2007
Menchi without her fishnet top?

:( :( :(
Oct 30, 2011 1:16 AM

Mar 2007
I like everything so far except I still can't get used to that bg music for Hisoka. -_-
Oct 30, 2011 1:22 AM

Jan 2009
hisoka is more loli in this version i see.
for a second when he punched Leorio i thought omg the first blood in this anime but nah it was just an effect.i shouldn't have expected it since Hisoka alrdy pulled his cards out of the dude's brain without any drop of blood
Oct 30, 2011 1:31 AM

Aug 2009
there was blood, in the scene were gon hit hisoka
Oct 30, 2011 1:34 AM

Mar 2011
yess Hisoka being awesome made this episode for me!!

seeing mass people getting killed without blood is weird though
Oct 30, 2011 1:52 AM

Jan 2009
pokymon said:
there was blood, in the scene were gon hit hisoka

oh i was stunned by the funny expression Hisoka was making before that.Yoshihiro is very proud of the studio by now i think.but at least they used blood ( even though it was very little and it was just for a second ) in the important scene
amirhossOct 30, 2011 2:56 AM
Oct 30, 2011 2:01 AM

May 2009
This episode made me happy.
Oct 30, 2011 2:29 AM

Feb 2010
Hisoka trolling ppl never gets old^^
Oct 30, 2011 4:06 AM

Jun 2011
awesome episode! yet another painful week to wait.
going to rewatch it again, really like HXH xD
Oct 30, 2011 4:28 AM

Mar 2011
good episode, but i hope for better music >
Oct 30, 2011 4:35 AM

Aug 2011
insan3soldiern said:
I'm sure some fans of the original anime will still somehow complain.

Butthurt nostalgia fags will always exist.
Oct 30, 2011 4:56 AM

Oct 2011
x5exotic said:
Great episode but we need blood

I agree with you, it would be great if they showed us some blood
But oh well, awesome episode though
Still don't like Hisoka's bgm
I don't think I'm going to get used to it
Oct 30, 2011 5:07 AM

Aug 2009
does anyone know when the dvds usually come out ?
i'd like to have it if it'is less censored on it
pokymonOct 30, 2011 7:26 AM
Oct 30, 2011 5:16 AM
Nov 2010
The episode was pretty nice...:)
Oct 30, 2011 6:58 AM
May 2007
Shoryuuken said:
This episode made me happy.

As long as Hisoka gets excited, I'm happy ♥
His BGM reminds me of Zorro. The sword was replaced by cards. He is a hero, Lol.
Oct 30, 2011 7:35 AM

Dec 2009
Hisoka was awesome xD He seems strangely lovable in here.
Or is it that I've grown to love his warped personality...?
Oct 30, 2011 7:46 AM
Sep 2011
Decent episode, but I still havent gotten used to hisoka's new voice and I still hate the music; it was a pretty decent episode though but in my opinion not as good as the previous ones.
Oct 30, 2011 8:32 AM

Feb 2011
O rly? THEY attacked Hisoka first? No Kurapika card dodging? No detailed slicing? Dat BGM?
*hate grah grah*

No honestly, I just don't like this. I'll wait for Killua's tower part, before I change it to "hate".

Just Awake is my only salvation, at the end of every episode.
Oct 30, 2011 8:50 AM
Nov 2008
They kinda failed the whole "more faithful to the manga than the original" thing. *sad*

Needs blood and better BGM, and if the whole idea behind a full remake is to be more faithful to the manga you should stick with it for more than 4 episodes... jesus.

Hisoka's VA was doing an impressive job though. So at least I can't complain about that :).
Oct 30, 2011 8:57 AM

Sep 2007
Hisoka's so pedo.

And while no blood is okay, I'm just hoping they'll start adding more for the more crazy bloody stuff later in the series! :3
Oct 30, 2011 9:03 AM

Jun 2008
This was kinda completely different from the manga...
Oct 30, 2011 9:40 AM

Feb 2011
Somehow BGM is getting better and also Hisoka is awesome in this episode. His expression and face when choking Gon is epic.

But, WE NEED BLOOD! And WTH is that Hisoka's kagebunshin?! (is this some kind of ninja anime?)

Also, is it just me or the animation is kinda poor for 2011 anime? IMO the battle scene and motion scene looks bad or even static. Somehow I feel this anime is kinda low budget even tho Madhouse is the producer studio.

Oh, and also some scenes is much different with Manga, but that's not a major part though.
kuruta_tribeOct 30, 2011 9:50 AM
"To some, online is more important than seeing friends, eating and even breathing."

<!--link--><a href="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/kuruta_tribe&sclick=1">

Oct 30, 2011 9:41 AM

May 2010
I don't read manga neither I remembered those scenes from the original but still liked it tho.

Hisoka is DA TROLL!! =p

And I think next phase would be about
Oct 30, 2011 9:53 AM

Aug 2011
StormViruz said:

And I think next phase would be about

I haven't watched this episode yet, but yes, I think it is.
Tiago97Oct 30, 2011 11:39 AM
Oct 30, 2011 10:16 AM

May 2009
Menchi's hair is green. lol Madhouse loves green. [?]

Oct 30, 2011 11:22 AM

Jul 2009

Hot guy... I wish the author will someday make a standalone series featuring Hisoka and "him". It's certainly more entertaining to watch that rather than skipping the entirety of every ep just to find their segments...

Besides Killua who is a decent character at the beginning then sux donkey balls afterwards, the rest of the main cast is simply horrendous... Togashi somehow just has a bad habit of creating boring main characters while having a vast arsenal of interesting side-characters. One of the many exceptions is Yu Yu Hakusho where Kurama and Hiei are lovely sweetharts... But then again, seeing how Shounen c**ts crave for these types of bollocks as MC(s), I guess the man gotta comply in order to make a living... Alas I digress...

Lessee...

They totally PHAIL in portraying the waiting-frog and the hypnosis butterflies. Moreover, as I've feared, they took out a huge portion of Hisoka's charm by censoring all teh FUKKEN flying limbs... He's still a sexy beast though.... Can't say the same for Killua since one of my favorite scenes of his will be ruined at this rate...

So happy to see that dumbass Leo getting spanked. Despite my intense dislike towards a certain homosexual-looking guy, I gotta admit he was smarter than that dumbass Leo in this ep...

If he's not with us, he's AGAINST us!!!

Oct 30, 2011 12:15 PM

Apr 2009
Why we need to know names of these monsters? It almost feels like pokemon/digimon anime. Fight scenes were just as static as in original, and what the hell was that perverted expression of Hisoka when he was strangling Gon? Are they trying to make him some comedy character or what?
Oct 30, 2011 12:22 PM

Dec 2007
x4m said:
Fight scenes were just as static as in original, and what the hell was that perverted expression of Hisoka when he was strangling Gon? Are they trying to make him some comedy character or what?

You claim to have seen the original, yet you are oblivious to Hisoka's perversion? lolwut.

Anyway, this episode was certainly a step down. I won't be too hard on it. I will start complaining if we're still in 'no blood' territory when we're a bit further on in the Hunter Exam.
Oct 30, 2011 12:55 PM

Apr 2009
Meddigo said:
x4m said:
Fight scenes were just as static as in original, and what the hell was that perverted expression of Hisoka when he was strangling Gon? Are they trying to make him some comedy character or what?

You claim to have seen the original, yet you are oblivious to Hisoka's perversion? lolwut.

Anyway, this episode was certainly a step down. I won't be too hard on it. I will start complaining if we're still in 'no blood' territory when we're a bit further on in the Hunter Exam.

In original Hisoka's perversion wasn't revealed until much more later in series. At first he was just a badass clown, and only later they showed perverted side of him. And now we see him as a perverted bastard from the start, so that's the difference, and a big one.
Oct 30, 2011 1:26 PM

Apr 2011
Great episode. And Kiullua is officially my fav character :D
Oct 30, 2011 1:46 PM

Jul 2011
"Hide your wife, and hide your kids, 'cause Hisoka is coming for Gon."

Hisoka is so creepy... gotta love him. XD

@BitchMaster: lol. Hatin'. 8D
@x4m: If you read the manga, Hisoka is perverted from the start. 8D

and the ending is growing on me...

Hikarusuke said:
Great episode. And Kiullua is officially my fav character :D

Yes. Killua ftw. :3

and...and... lol@ her hair. It's green. XD
MirorinOct 30, 2011 1:54 PM
Oct 30, 2011 3:26 PM
Sep 2011
Censoring in an anime that airs at 11 am, I can't believe it !
Oct 30, 2011 4:29 PM

Sep 2009
Interesting that Hisoka's hair color is red from the beginning in this version, while he had grayish hair, which later turned red in the 1999 version. No biggie though, just mentioning it.

Oh, and the corresponding episode of the 1999 version, episode 8, had almost no blood in it. The fake examiner had a little blood on his face, but Hisoka's slaughter was bloodless.

I am keeping my hopes up. I ain't giving up on this one just yet.
“They will say that I have shed innocent blood. What’s blood for, if not for shedding? With my hook for a hand, I’ll split you from your groin to your gullet.” - Candyman
Oct 30, 2011 4:42 PM

Aug 2008
Great episode~ Hisoka's creepiness was top notch. It made my day when he showed tiny bit of concern when he accidentally strangled Gon :P I ca put up with no blood part...first series didn't have much too. I think his voice actor is doing great :) Can't wait for the next episode~ ^_^
Oct 30, 2011 5:24 PM

Mar 2011
Nice Episode.
Oct 30, 2011 5:59 PM

Jul 2010
I just want to say, that i will always hate Hisoka's new voice and bgm.This is just...horrible.

About episode, it was really good.Great animation and everything.
4/5 i saw ending about 423423 times :D.
btw.Aya Hirano as Menchi? cant wait.
Oct 30, 2011 6:29 PM

Nov 2007
I must say that I defended the bgm in the beginning, but yes, the more I hear it, the less I like it.
Too bad this show doesn't have a good budget. The art is polished but there are so many shortcuts in the animation. It's a bit jarring.

Well anyway, no real comment about the episode. I liked it alright and that's about it.
Oct 30, 2011 8:14 PM

Oct 2010
Ok, I'm fully on board now. I approve of Hisoka's new voice actor. The original will always be the original and amazing but I think new guy is on track to delivering something good also.

I didn't noticed if the Flamenco Guitar Hisoka theme was in Episode 4, but I thought it fit pretty well here in episode 5. It's a slight improvement over the BGM we have been getting... The more they avoid that Pop-eye tune and the Pirates of the Caribbean ripoff the better.
Visit my blog for my anime and video game sheet music! http://robusab.blogspot.com
Oct 30, 2011 8:28 PM
Aug 2007
Well I've been going on a roller coaster of "ok" and "disappointed." I haven't hit hate yet but I was feeling really "meh" after episode 5.

People want to say it's "better" than the original but other than the fact that we got into the exam much faster than before I don't see it as a better series. They're pretty much the same except I liked the characterization better in the original. The pace was indeed a better one but episode 5 seemed like a disappointing adaption to the manga chapter and Episode 8 of the older HxH feels like a better one.

Manga Highlights
- Gon and Killua at the front hear the screams of those attacked by the monsters
- Monsters' names and killing methods are posted. I mean mushrooms that absorb and feed off decomposition after creating explosions that kill people? Butterflies that leave their larvae in the sleeping people?
- Hisoka attacks people left and right saying that he'd act as the Examiner, culling the amount of examinees.
- Leorio takes a card to his arm as Kurapika fights them off.
- Leorio stops and attacks Hisoka after all three examinees left from the massacre (dude, Leorio, Kurapika) say they'd run and escape. Hisoka dodges and Gon saves Leorio from the menacing Hisoka-hand.
- Dead animals and examinees on the trail + Leorio's cologne = easy for Gon to find the right path
- Gon is excited after having faced Hisoka and thinking he might die.

New/ 2011 Highlight
- The strawberry monster. Actual strawberries!
- Disappointing one!: Mushrooms that didn't blow up, they were named Claymore Mushrooms but they just sprayed fungus that poisoned/killed people. Where were the explosions??
- Disappointing!: Gon and Killua get swallowed by the frog monster. What?!
- Disappointing: Leorio and Kurapika too? They gotta fight the "Noggin' Luggin' Tortoise"... er. what.
- Disappointing!: Hisoka was NOT the one to attack and act as judge/jury/executioner first. He was attacked first. It's all just self-defense!
- Hisoka kills the people in one move. Kills the coward and Leorio is saved by Gon from Hisoka's hand.
- Excited Hisoka and Gon was excited by the encounter too!
- Disappointing!: Hisoka didn't leave any dead birds and examinees behind as Gon and Kurapika followed the trail (only Leorio's cologne)

I feel like instead of expanding and making Gon and Hisoka fight a bit that they really could have just left Hisoka preying on the examinees. While most of the other episodes were ok adaptions, I felt like this one was sub-par.

I really wish I could get rid of 90% of this BGM though. It's the one thing I hate. Well, that and the ED song. I like the ED animation but man is the song and the BGM grating...
KageOct 30, 2011 8:34 PM
Oct 30, 2011 8:36 PM
Oct 2009
This episode lack any tension that the original had. Felt I was watching the 4kids HxH version. Lame. Also why is the OST for this series so bad? Hope they fire the guy who did the OST and get a new guy.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Knov's shoes

Guaxinito - Sep 22

3 by Cory0905 »»
Yesterday, 4:59 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 105 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 19, 2013

150 by oozePOP »»
Sep 22, 9:47 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 131 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 27, 2014

1046 by Ougi0Best0Girl »»
Sep 20, 3:25 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 100 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ValeBreck - Oct 15, 2013

162 by samagra7 »»
Sep 19, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

933 by LizIsListing »»
Sep 18, 1:42 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.