Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 21, 7:58 AM

Jul 2017
The first shrine visit of the year...and Nokotan has ascended to becoming a Deer God.

The old granny of Hino, 88-year-old Inukai Mitsu, finally has her proper introduction, and everyone is duped into Nokotan being the blessed Deer God lols. As expected, a Shikagami shrine will only have antlers, and everyone comes along for fortune-telling and amazake in the form of antler soup. Plus, the ceremonial fire with the deer crackers is so bizarrely absurd that Koshitan is the only insane person around lols.

The typical New Year's tradition of playng a board game: the Game of (Deer) Life, along with the Smash Bros. reference, everyone becomes deer for a moment, and Nokotan sure got a case of deja vu all over again, in game form. Even Anko's fantasy comes alive in the game, all while Bashame makes her rice and mochi. The life part comes into reality, and all 3 girls take different routes...while Nokotan becomes moose in Alaska, converging with America's girzzly bear lols, and Koshitan becoming the idol that she wanted to be, if not for the last space of an "outrageous" scandal. At least the girls had fun.

Other than Nokotan's antlers literally becoming OP, this is a great episode not going too outlandish on absurdity, though it has its moments.
Aug 21, 7:59 AM

Dec 2021
Koshi being surprised about Nokotan becoming a goddess makes no sense. She's always been and always will be a goddess.

And even though we have so many couples this season, no DOUBT this one is the best of the season.

Aug 21, 8:57 AM

Mar 2021
Nokotan is the cutest Deer god all Hail goddess Nokotan. I would play the game of life deer edition it looks so fun.
Aug 21, 9:31 AM

Mar 2022
I mean... this show is a riot as it was, but this EP.... I have no words. 10/10
Aug 21, 9:47 AM

Jul 2011
Isn't antlers soup awfully close to how glue was made in the past?

American attained freedom.

Harejikanoko Nokonko Koshitan
Aug 21, 10:10 AM

Feb 2019
I lost brain cells watching this episode as usual lmao, won’t have many left by the end of the season. I think this was one of the more consistent Nokotan episodes in that it was largely one seamless experience of the girls bringing in the new year together, but also consistently funny. The shrine trip and board game were really fun and definitely a very Nokotan spin on a traditional New Year’s experience

Nokotan becoming a deer idol, the US presidential bear handshake, etc. I think it had just the right amount of absurdity in today’s episode and didn’t get overly cringe with it.

Poor Bashame over there about to choke on Mochi.. too slow for her own good lmao
Marinate1016Aug 21, 10:31 AM
Aug 21, 10:23 AM

May 2019
"Upon visiting the shrine, they saw that Nokotan had become a goddess." I'm sorry, wasn't she one before? How can you explain everything else that has happened up to this point? Whatever, here are the eye catches for this week's episode:

Pre-CM:
Post-CM:

So we got a New Year's themed episode and greeting even though, as of this writing, we're only 4 months away from the next new year. But as is tradition in Japan, we get the 初詣 or "first shrine visit of the New Year," though as on brand, everything from the shrine maidens to the おみくじ (fortune slip) and even the antler soup is deer-themed. And as if on cue, the Deer Club and the Student Council unexpectedly bump into each other while getting their fortunes, with Nekotan getting the bad luck equivalent and slipping immediately to punctuate that fact, probably due to her oversized clothing in my opinion. After the bonfire of antlers and deer senbei in a closing ritual, Nokotan comes up out of nowhere and offering antler soup as if nothing ever happened. Man, the amount of Koshitan gaslighting is crazy yet entertaining and I'm apparently all for that.

The opening part of the "Wild Game of Life" segment had a mixture of low-effort to over-the-top animation, with arguably lazy transitions on the "circling the characters" type of shot to an absolute reference to the Smash character intros. But for what it's worth, for me, this is probably my most favorite segment so far and it had just the right amount of absurdity that it didn't get too carried away with it. For one, we get to see Koshitan, Koshian, and the delinquent girls in antlers that's not just only the Dark Souls reference in the OP animation. And the different event spaces were well varied: Koshitan becoming a deer idol and racking up all the deer senbei before being exposed as a capybara at the last moment, Nokotan getting doing a presidential handshake-esque photo shoot, and Koshian conquering the mountains with all its inhabitants under her control. All of this is intermittently interjected with Bashame cooking rice to make mochi presumably for お雑煮 (New Year mochi soup) before nearly choking on one and Koshitan with a plunger in hand. What was she going to do wit that, is she バカ?
Aug 21, 10:48 AM

Jul 2022
All praise to the deer goddess… I don't know about you, but that antler soup made me hungry. Although Koshitan's move in the game of life was almost perfect, he couldn’t stand a chance against the United States and the mighty antlers of a moose.

Seriously, I’m running out of things to say about each episode this anime is so random that it's burning out all my brain cells.
Aug 21, 1:22 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Happy new deer year!! The deer game was actually fun, even though it went very far, obviously lol.
Aug 21, 1:22 PM

Nov 2023
Another hilarious episode.

Nokotan being god is very appropriate because she is indeed a deer comedy god.

I also loved their game part it was fun. Koshi tan bottled it at the last moment unfortunately.
I need somebody who can love me at my worst
No, I'm not perfect, but I hope you see my worth
'Cause it's only you, nobody new, I put you first
And for you, girl, I swear I'll do the worst

If you stay forever, let me hold your hand
I can fill those places in your heart no else can
Let me show you love, oh, I don't pretend, yeah
I'll be right here, baby, you know I'll sink or swim
Aug 21, 2:31 PM

May 2015
That elderly lady trying to go from a background character to a reoccurring character. I support the upward mobility! Speaking of upward mobility, that deer game of life segment was tons of fun.

That super smash bros styled intro to the catastrophic downfall of Idol Koshitan who was actually a capybara pretending to be a deer...how does the author come up with this stuff!
Aug 21, 2:42 PM

Jul 2016
Yep, you can never go wrong with "Game of Life" parody segments. Easily the only segment that made me feel entertained while watching this show.

Also, only 12 confirmed episodes. Thank god.
Aug 21, 2:59 PM
Jul 2024
She was actually a capybara! ROFLMAO
Aug 21, 3:25 PM
May 2020
We all must bow to the Deer God!

Aug 21, 3:28 PM

Feb 2020
OMG DigiPoke reference

NerdasonAug 28, 4:35 AM
Aug 21, 3:54 PM

Sep 2017
Lmao that smash bros reference caught me way off guard. Shit was hilarious.
Aug 21, 4:34 PM
plɹoM pǝʇɹǝʌuI

Sep 2020
Episode was aight compared to the rest of the series. I haven’t been a fan of it so far, so my apologies to anyone offended by my statement.
Aug 21, 4:50 PM

Sep 2018
Pretty solid episode. Nokotan has pulled some holy feats so she was fitting as the shrine maiden. I wonder if antler deer soup is a real thing. The scandel ending for Koshitan and smash bros references were gold. 5/5
Aug 21, 4:52 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Well this was certainly an episode, I can say that much lol. I really wasn’t that big a fan of the deer god shrine visit, I’d rather Nokotan be a goofy ass like usual than trying to be a god, I didn’t really find her antics fun in this one. Koshi is shocked at what’s going on around her as always, and Anko and Bashame just go with the flow, not much we haven’t seen before really, although I did like the old lady’s creepy face that one time.

Now the game of deer like segment was a fun time, I didn’t find much of it funny but it was a silly and entertaining segment, I liked seeing what wild paths each girl ended up taking, all of them ended up being wildly different from each other, but of course Koshi would lose out in the end lol. And the super smash bros intros I gotta give some points for, they were well done, it wasn’t a reference = comedy situation but I did like it.
Aug 21, 5:19 PM
Jul 2023
So far this is my favorite episode just because of the board game part, the part of the new year was kinda mid. And I didn't expect that Smash Bros reference.
lolwareAug 21, 5:28 PM
Aug 21, 6:25 PM

Mar 2008
Ankotan's New Year's wish was to do naughty things with her sister lol

...wait so if Nokotan can become a moose...can she also beccome a kangaroo? I mean they are just deer that hop on two two legs.
Aug 21, 11:00 PM
Oct 2019
MAY THE ANTLERS BE WITH YOU!!
Aug 22, 2:22 AM

Jan 2024
This one was actually a quality episode.
The deer game was brilliant.
"You can't beat America"_ japanese instincts
Aug 22, 3:07 AM
Jul 2024
shikanoko nokonoko koshitantan
Aug 22, 3:26 AM
Jan 2022
I want that game! it looks fun
Aug 22, 4:03 AM

Jun 2023
Smash Bros reference is just peak
Aug 22, 4:47 AM

Jul 2023
oh deer, another weird episode
Aug 22, 5:07 AM

Nov 2013
I'm intrigued with Shika religion, or having Shika as US president.
Aug 22, 7:27 AM

Aug 2022
What the fuck was that game? Lol.
Aug 22, 8:46 AM
Jul 2024
Peace is restored to America.
Aug 22, 11:55 AM
Jan 2023
Holy schmoly shika 🦌
Aug 22, 12:40 PM
May 2024
So cute, she should keep that dress.
Aug 22, 1:41 PM
Sep 2022
this series just keeps getting unfunnier
definitely an overhyped anime
Aug 22, 6:22 PM
Nov 2019
Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan
Aug 22, 10:47 PM
Nov 2018
Reply to Allmibar
So cute, she should keep that dress.
@Allmibar I haven't watched a single episode, but she is best girl, isn't she?
Aug 22, 10:48 PM
May 2024
Reply to DualSide
@Allmibar I haven't watched a single episode, but she is best girl, isn't she?
@DualSide Yes (not ironically) I really like Nokotan but Koshi is too cute.
Aug 22, 11:50 PM
Sep 2021
The Smash Bros bit was great.

Koshitan’s still my favorite character, just tryna be a normie and turn her life around while everyone else is batshit crazy.
Aug 23, 6:58 AM
Jun 2022
very stupid and random, but in a good way!
Aug 23, 9:49 AM

Mar 2021
Me, trained in first-aid: Heimlich maneuver!!
Koshi: *toilet suction*

Game of Life: Deer Version should def be merch. I love how everyone chose to venture out of the zoo. Thought Koshi would get trampled by a car or arrested by police or sthg city-sad tho. :P
Aug 23, 12:05 PM
Mar 2022
That deer life board game looks interesting. I might buy it.
Aug 24, 10:05 AM
Jan 2022
this ep was so wired but in a good way, funniest one till now had a good time watching🤣🤣 Happy New deer guys🤣....
Aug 24, 3:21 PM
Aug 2024
I love this show sm the references are funny and the characters are cute
Aug 25, 1:21 AM
Jan 2024
peak anime love it
Aug 25, 12:04 PM

Apr 2012
If we got a real Dungeon Mechi restaurant, how about we actually release their board game as merch, lmao?

@IzanaSolos But she's just a deer!111 (c)

@Marinate1016 What if I told you that even a show like this could start lore wars on the internet, lmao?
RobertBobertAug 25, 12:08 PM
Aug 25, 2:24 PM
Oct 2013
Finally a fine episode, I'm watching a dubbed version and that made it actually funny. Still too many deer cracker and antler jokes.
Aug 26, 1:26 AM
Sep 2018
The deer shrine bit in the first part of the episode was nice, but the real highlight was definitely the 'game of life: deer edition' bit that pit Anko, Koshitan and Anko against each other.

The antics they found themselves in each stage were hilarious and I loved how they reached high levels of bonkers. (Also, Bashame making mochi in the background was adorable).
Onion_StoryAug 26, 1:29 AM
Aug 26, 4:23 AM
May 2024
PEAK BRAIN ROT!!!!
Aug 27, 1:13 AM

Feb 2016
Nokotan supremacy as always 🙏

I adore Nekoyamada so much, she is so goofy ❤️

I was hoping they would throw a line like "This episode was 1st aired on August!" in the middle of the new year jokes lol

Nokotan, Koshitan and Nekotan are 3rd years, since this episode is about the begining of a new year it means they will leave the school in April. How are they gonna handle this? I doubt we will see them graduate, maybe they will do a joke like "this is a comedy anime so stuff like that don't matter" lol, can't wait to see. Having those 3 in university would be so fkng insane lmao

Smash memes in 2024? Those died in 2019 and were peak cringe... I have to accept that joke was lame af
Sorry if my english is bad (っ˘▽˘)っ~~~
Btw, cry about it.

Aug 28, 6:17 PM

Jul 2013
Wait? Not one mention of the "Mononoke Hime" reference? Did no one in this comment thread catch upon it or was it not a good reference?

Here is it:
HellindiuMAug 28, 6:28 PM
Aug 28, 7:45 PM
May 2023
Good episode, I love how they saved resources/budget by presenting literally empty (blank) characters haha
In this particular episode I felt that the "sexual" tone between Koshi and his sister was raised too high... these Japanese/Asians like this stuff and the general public.
Good game of life game, my favorite part was Shikanoko making friends with the bear and being rewarded by everyone hahaha I didn't understand anything... it was pretty random, I liked it

PS: Since I like the references they put in from time to time, like the one from A Perfect Storm, although I didn't see it but I did see images like that I realized, I think that part must be quite iconic
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Aug 28

53 by nightlord6 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » best brainrot anime of all time?

asdewqw3erfgt - Aug 29

36 by vainothegamer101 »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jul 17

147 by DolFunDolphinVT »»
Today, 12:05 AM

Poll: » Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Jul 10

206 by DolFunDolphinVT »»
Yesterday, 11:11 PM

Poll: » Shikanoko Nokonoko Koshitantan Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Aug 14

70 by FrutiTuti »»
Yesterday, 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.