Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 31, 10:55 AM
Nov 2022
I've heard this term used a lot, but I'm having difficulty understanding what it means. Is it someone who likes anime only because it's trendy? Someone who can only speak about anime in memes and buzzwords (eg "peak", "trash")? Someone who likes degenerate anime but uses "irony" as a fig leaf for their degeneracy? Or both or something else entirely? Thank you for any help.
May 31, 1:22 PM
Jun 2021
Ironic weebs, are, on the contrary, not the degenerate weebs.
An ironic weeb actually claims to like anime because of "realism" or "depth" rather than just enjoying the whole package. Another thing they oftentimes do is watch shows for the clout. If a new anime gets shilled by the anime press on sites like ANN, those weebs will immediately jump on and claim that the anime is somehow "the best", even though not everyone enjoys the same shows, and their experience with the genre the show's in is basic, to say the least. Like, to give you an example, look what happened to Frieren. It's been hyped up as a 10/10 show by ironic weebs who keep scouring season after season to find the next show to cloutwatch, even though I bet none of them has even heard of the manga.
Hot Blood saves lives.
May 31, 1:47 PM

Sep 2018
I never heard of the term ironic weeb. I imagine it has 2 main types.
1. People who try to identify as a weeb, but clearly deny demographics and push for censorship in media to suit a "modern audience."
2. Someone who are a newbie to anime who tries to act elite despite consuming less than 50 anime.
May 31, 2:49 PM

Jun 2017
I've never heard of the term. But I would choose to decipher in this manner:

a) A non-ironic weeb is just a weeb who enjoys anime and is sincere in doing so.

b) an 'ironic weeb' to me would be someone who is 'into' anime in an ironic way, in that they don't genuinely enjoy or appreciate it but express themself enjoying anime in a (usually exaggerated) way that is parodic, satirical, or unserious.

c) Whereas post-ironic weebs might convey (b) but in actuality are sincere in their enjoyment (a), or simply express themselves in a way that intertwines between (A) and (B). I
May 31, 3:11 PM
Aug 2018
I take the term at face value, probably someone who is into anime and Japanese culture in a mocking and exaggerated way, not genuinely.

Maybe there are other meanings to the term, but I don't know.
May 31, 3:27 PM
Nov 2022
Reply to TheMechaManiac
Ironic weebs, are, on the contrary, not the degenerate weebs.
An ironic weeb actually claims to like anime because of "realism" or "depth" rather than just enjoying the whole package. Another thing they oftentimes do is watch shows for the clout. If a new anime gets shilled by the anime press on sites like ANN, those weebs will immediately jump on and claim that the anime is somehow "the best", even though not everyone enjoys the same shows, and their experience with the genre the show's in is basic, to say the least. Like, to give you an example, look what happened to Frieren. It's been hyped up as a 10/10 show by ironic weebs who keep scouring season after season to find the next show to cloutwatch, even though I bet none of them has even heard of the manga.
@TheMechaManiac So ironic weebs are anime elitists who feel there's "proper" or "right" anime to watch, and the rest is subpar?
May 31, 3:59 PM

Jul 2017
If an unironic weeb is someone who genuinely and sincerely is a weeb and doesn't try to hide that at all, then an ironic weeb would probably be someone who isn't who they actually say they are. The way that I see it, an ironic weeb could be someone who is afraid of being labeled a weeb and expresses their disinterest/hatred of anime, but actually really loves anime deep down and watches a lot of anime. I guess it's another way of saying "closet weeb" or "weeb in denial" lol
May 31, 4:21 PM
Jun 2021
Reply to IdeDial
@TheMechaManiac So ironic weebs are anime elitists who feel there's "proper" or "right" anime to watch, and the rest is subpar?
@IdeDial Yeah, you could say that. They care only about the shows that maintain their status of "smartness" and "matureness" while disregarding everything else.
Hot Blood saves lives.
May 31, 4:39 PM

Apr 2020
Sounds like someone who likes anime but not anime-anime, like trashy isekais and the moe artstyle. They probably like aot, jjk, dbz, etc shounen and also the three seinen: Vinland, berserk, and vagabond.
Sounds like an Instagram anime fan, sounds like me tbh 😭
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 31, 5:21 PM

Feb 2019
What is degenerate anime? what things like naruto?

May 31, 6:25 PM
Nov 2022
animegamer245 said:
I don't think that the term ''weeb'' should be seen as a positive thing or worn with a symbol of pide.
I agree. It's a very negative term that originally referred to people who were obsessed with Japan and Japanese people on a decidedly superficial level, despite only knowing about Japan through anime, manga, and video games. Adopting "weeb" for yourself can cause undue guilt if you're sincere about your enjoyment of anime, and it makes all people who like anime seem like they unduly mythologize/eroticize Japan. Calling yourself a "weeb" is the same as saying "Anime is trash and so am I", which is a sign you're ironic.
May 31, 6:37 PM

Aug 2021
I have never seen this term used, and from the definitions.. It doesn't necessarily sound like irony?? Weird term.
certified yaoi-ist
prev briqk
May 31, 6:38 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to IdeDial
animegamer245 said:
I don't think that the term ''weeb'' should be seen as a positive thing or worn with a symbol of pide.
I agree. It's a very negative term that originally referred to people who were obsessed with Japan and Japanese people on a decidedly superficial level, despite only knowing about Japan through anime, manga, and video games. Adopting "weeb" for yourself can cause undue guilt if you're sincere about your enjoyment of anime, and it makes all people who like anime seem like they unduly mythologize/eroticize Japan. Calling yourself a "weeb" is the same as saying "Anime is trash and so am I", which is a sign you're ironic.
@IdeDial
There is nothing wrong with enjoying other cultures or governments, just it gets annoying when someone is really wrong about things they idealize which I only see Conservatives and fetishists do for Japan. Still even when they are I think they are better than American Nationalist Patriots and Japanese Nationalists that deny well documented war crimes by a long shot. I hate the term weeb or weaboo, it just sounds terrible when spoken or even reading it.
May 31, 7:11 PM

Feb 2021
Fake anime fans who pretend to like anime but doesn't watch anything more than shounen or the occasional seinen.
May 31, 7:50 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to MadanielFL
Fake anime fans who pretend to like anime but doesn't watch anything more than shounen or the occasional seinen.
@MadanielFL Why is the type of shows they watch indicative of whether or not they're a fake fan? That argument makes about as much sense as saying someone who doesn't have hundreds of entries on here is a fake fan.

I would consider a "fake fan" more along the lines of someone who only watched anime as a kid and still acts like they know anything about the subject. Or someone who bought a Pokemon plushy one time and is like "see, I like anime". Anything like that is more fake than only watching shounen imo.
May 31, 7:59 PM

Feb 2021
FanofAction said:
Why is the type of shows they watch indicative of whether or not they're a fake fan? That argument makes about as much sense as saying someone who doesn't have hundreds of entries on here is a fake fan.
They usually only watch these shows, but even some people who watch more obscure shows are still fake anime fans.
What matters is if they complain about tropes that have been present in anime for decades, like fan-service and so on.

animegamer245 said:
ot only is this statement narrow-minded & judgemental, but also incredibly misinformed. Shounen & Seinen are demographics not genres.
When did I say they were genres?
May 31, 8:02 PM
Jul 2018
Ironic weaboo... Maybe someone pretending to be a fan of anime with the intent of causing trouble within the community and/or purposefully being an awful person to make real anime fans look bad?
May 31, 8:05 PM

Feb 2021
animegamer245 said:
It was implied. Shounen & Seinen are made of all kinds of diverse genres and themes, but according to you anyone who exclusively watches those types of anime is a fake fan. That statement reeks of elitism
No not really, it's more so that the people who usually complain about fanservice and "problematic" things in anime usually only watch shounen, they very rarely watch new original anime or light novel adaptation.
May 31, 8:09 PM

Oct 2013
@MadanielFL OK...So why didn't you say all that in the first place instead of going straight to the most cliche target for statements like that?
May 31, 8:11 PM

Jan 2011
The type that will denigrate themselves and the entire animanga sphere in an attempt to appear as "self aware" and "one of the good ones" to normies in a desperate approval bid despite claims of hating them.
May 31, 8:16 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to Zamus_Edits
What is degenerate anime? what things like naruto?

@Zamus_Edits I'd argue against this, but Jiraiya and Orochimaru exist, so I can't in good faith.
May 31, 8:28 PM

Feb 2021
animegamer245 said:
you care way too much about what other people think about your favorite shows
No I literally don't care what people say about my favorite show, I literally have "my taste is trash" on my profile.
What I find annoying are people pretending to like anime when it's clear they hate most of the stuff that makes anime anime.

Seriously you can't have one anime set in high school without these new anime fans asking why that show couldn't be set in college.
May 31, 8:55 PM
Nov 2022
Reply to MadanielFL
animegamer245 said:
It was implied. Shounen & Seinen are made of all kinds of diverse genres and themes, but according to you anyone who exclusively watches those types of anime is a fake fan. That statement reeks of elitism
No not really, it's more so that the people who usually complain about fanservice and "problematic" things in anime usually only watch shounen, they very rarely watch new original anime or light novel adaptation.
@MadanielFL That's false. I complain about those things, and I exclusively watch mecha. I don't really talk about fanservice anymore since it just stresses me out, and there's no debate/equivocation to be had on the subject. I always skip fanservice/nudity scenes, so why focus on my least favourite thing in anime when I could talk about the other things I do enjoy? I don't think complaining about fanservice qualifies you as "ironic" unless your complaints are elitist in nature.

MadanielFL said:
What I find annoying are people pretending to like anime when it's clear they hate most of the stuff that makes anime anime.

If it's animated in Japan with significant Japanese creative involvement, it's anime. G1 Transformers and GI Joe are anime, this site's criteria notwithstanding. People who complain about high school stories and fanservice have valid complaints. Most people in the West don't look back fondly on high school except for people who "peaked in high school"; they prefer college stories because it's a much more enriching and liberating period than high school. It's not like all anime has teenage main characters; Votoms, Dorvack, and Xabungle come to mind as ones that don't.
May 31, 11:02 PM

Mar 2021
IdeDial said:
What is an "ironic weeaboo"?

Regardless what a real or actual "ironic weeaboo" is, I have likely been coined as one before being a man who has an unconventional appreciation for the culture, has actually lived in and visited Japan multiple times in my life, and is even married to a Japanese woman for over two decades now and even have a half Japanese daughter... etc... simply because I am not Japanese (I am actually Korean who has spent a majority of my life living in North America).

The 1st time someone ever called me a "Weeb" in real life, I had no clue at the time what they were even talking about.
ColourWheelMay 31, 11:54 PM
May 31, 11:51 PM

Mar 2008
Reply to ColourWheel
IdeDial said:
What is an "ironic weeaboo"?

Regardless what a real or actual "ironic weeaboo" is, I have likely been coined as one before being a man who has an unconventional appreciation for the culture, has actually lived in and visited Japan multiple times in my life, and is even married to a Japanese woman for over two decades now and even have a half Japanese daughter... etc... simply because I am not Japanese (I am actually Korean who has spent a majority of my life living in North America).

The 1st time someone ever called me a "Weeb" in real life, I had no clue at the time what they were even talking about.
@ColourWheel
If you didn't name your daughter after an anime character you failed at your chance.
Jun 1, 12:05 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to traed
@ColourWheel
If you didn't name your daughter after an anime character you failed at your chance.
@traed
traed said:

The irony is my daughter could coincidentally have a name shared by a fiction Anime character. Though, if she does, it wasn't done intentionally.
Jun 1, 9:18 AM

Sep 2016
Ironic weebs pretend to be a weebs, but they don't truly think so of themselves, even though they actually are.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 1, 11:54 AM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
The term "weeb" lost all of its meaning over a decade ago, so an ironic weeb is also a meaningless term.

Weeb used to refer to a "delusional fan of anime who is obsessed with japan and looks down on western society, and often thinks he's basically japanese, and wants to live in Japan despite not understanding the language or culture".

But people very quickly started throwing this word left and right at whoever enjoyed watching anime. So it's now commonly used as a derogatory label placed onto anyone who watches anime.
Jun 1, 9:44 PM

Apr 2024
I never heard of this term but well.
for all the description, it's more like another "sarcasm word" that pointed directly to new-gen anime fan like:"libta*ds, zoomers, moral ..., zealot, shounentard, het haremtard, etc, ... xD
Jun 1, 11:10 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to MadanielFL
animegamer245 said:
Yes, I agree to a certain extent. Perhaps, it's more accurate to say that people who only watch mainstream/popular anime and ironically popular anime is mostly shounen. These people who only consume popular anime think they know everything about anime and I cannot stand people like this.

π•Šπ•™π•šπ•£π•  - π•Šπ•–π•šπ•€π•™π•¦π•Ÿ'𝕀 ℙ𝕝𝕒π•ͺπ•π•šπ•€π•₯
"Time doesn't heal anything, it just teaches us how to live with pain." —Itachi Uchiha
Jun 1, 11:57 PM
Sep 2013
It's people who make "weebs are dumb/degenerate/etc" jokes. The irony being that they themselves are weebs.
Self depreciation basically.
Jun 2, 8:57 AM

Jan 2022
If you post on the internet you're an ironic weeaboo, and I don't make the rules.
Jun 2, 9:08 AM

Jul 2013
Not sure what is an "ironic" weeaboo, but one of the main reasons I like anime is because of the cute anime girls in it. Like Senran Kagura, Hyperdimension Neptunia, Kantai Collection, Nekopara, etc. I love moe anime girls very much.
Jun 4, 3:37 PM

Nov 2020
An ironic weeaboo is a weeaboo in denial.

More topics from this board

» Idolizing Villains

SimplyBrazen - Yesterday

39 by SimplyBrazen »»
3 minutes ago

» Do y'all fw Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

IssyBoy - Jun 17

92 by Estefan »»
4 minutes ago

» did your anime watching habits change over time gradually ? ( 1 2 )

ame - Jun 17

52 by tmoverbeck »»
12 minutes ago

» Best anime from your favorite year

Spunkert - 2 hours ago

5 by Nirinbo »»
24 minutes ago

» Create Your Perfect Staff: ( 1 2 )

APolygons2 - Yesterday

57 by TRC_Randy »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.