Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 6, 9:57 AM

Nov 2011
A reminder that Holo can be such a badass wolf when she needs to be. This was one of those episodes where she had to transform.

Lawrence managed to survive this ordeal but this definitely reminds us how dangerous their world can be. I also love how the VA was able to protray Holo's personality in her role. There's also deeper lore this episode, which imo overall enhances the world fiction of the show.
May 6, 9:58 AM

May 2020
I guess it’s plain obvious at this point that neither Holo nor Lawrence no longer wants to have anything to do with the huge sum of profits they “might” have earned or would do, from the deals they made with Milone, as I mean it has, all of a sudden, became a matter of life and death, in a very english way too at that. People chasing underground, chanting after ruthlessly stabbing people and…

… everything which comes with that package. That actually felt really hopeless, when the “bad guy who thinks he’s doing a good deed”, Yarei and his pals got both Holo and Lawrence surrounded. Though, what bad luck of these people lol. Didn’t feel an ounce of bad feeling for them.

Holo’s transformation and what followed thereafter was absolutely dope. Should’ve killed them all but oh well, still the trauma is here to stay lol. Lawrence’s uneasiness and then Holo appearing out of nowhere in the end was absolutely worth it.

And hey, Lawrence made a huge profit too, or at least he had:) Wonderful end to the arc.
May 6, 9:58 AM

Dec 2021
Yep, a wild beast behind that cute facade.

With the help of the Milone Trading Company, Lawrence successfully retrieved Holo. However, before they could even celebrate their reunion, they found themselves pursued by the Medio Trading Company, and the two of them were forced to flee through underground waterways. As they made their way towards the surface, the voices of their pursuers drew nearer... And just when they were blocked and cornered, an unexpected figure appeared before them. That unexpected figure in the OG was Chloe... seems this was around the time that OG started going off the rails ig.

Though, both Chloe and Yarei still had the same change on the story, they both arrive and attempts to persuade Lawrence to hand over Holo in exchange for sparing his life and offering lucrative wheat purchasing opportunities. When he refuses, Chloe commands her men to recapture Holo and, if needed, to kill Lawrence. To shield Lawrence, Holo morphs into her wolf form and wreaks havoc among their pursuers before vanishing, leaving Lawrence unconscious from his injuries. He regains consciousness in the branch headquarters of the Milone Trading Company, where Marlheit informs him that Holo led rescuers to his location before departing.

The deal didn't go as well as hoped, but they made enough money to keep going, or should I say, Spice and Wolf made enough money to keep going. :)
IzanaSolosMay 6, 5:43 PM

May 6, 11:23 AM

Feb 2019
We’ve reached the end of volume 1 and what a send off it was!

Thought everything was good after we got Holo back last week, but nope, Medio trading company still wanted to pursue she and Lawrence in the sewers.. even when faced with a life or death situation, Lawrence refused to give up Holo. As weak as he may be, he felt like the strongest in the room this episode.

Holo had to remind mfs that she’s not called a god for nothing. Holy shit that transformation was awesome. As they say, if you back a dog into a corner it’ll come out. Her true form really lives up to the legend, and Kevin Penkin’s OST during the scene makes it even better.

Yarei thought he had it all figured out with his little henchmen and shit just for them to all get wrecked by Holo 😂. You’d think someone from the village would be better prepared for Holo’s true power. Medio goons got off easy imo, but Lawrence and Holo shouldn’t have anymore problems with them or the church for the foreseeable future, PLUS the pepper to trade which is only going to be more valuable in the winter. Excellent bit of manoeuvring from the wise Wolf and merchant.

And they did it! They said the thing! Spice and Wolf is officially here.
Marinate1016May 6, 12:59 PM
May 6, 11:38 AM
Sep 2015
I'm confused but at least I get to see shirtless Lawrence.
May 6, 11:50 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Best episode yet. Good animation of the wolf. Hyped for next week :)
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
May 6, 12:09 PM

Mar 2023
Good adaptation. Transformation looked solid.
Onto volume 2.
watsymMay 6, 1:10 PM
May 6, 12:10 PM

Feb 2022
Reply to IzanaSolos

With the help of the Milone Trading Company, Lawrence successfully retrieved Holo. However, before they could even celebrate their reunion, they found themselves pursued by the Medio Trading Company, and the two of them were forced to flee through underground waterways. As they made their way towards the surface, the voices of their pursuers drew nearer... And just when they were blocked and cornered, an unexpected figure appeared before them. That unexpected figure in the OG was Chloe... seems this was around the time that OG started going off the rails ig.

Though, both Chloe and Yarei still had the same change on the story, they both arrive and attempts to persuade Lawrence to hand over Holo in exchange for sparing his life and offering lucrative wheat purchasing opportunities. When he refuses, Chloe commands her men to recapture Holo and, if needed, to kill Lawrence. To shield Lawrence, Holo morphs into her wolf form and wreaks havoc among their pursuers before vanishing, leaving Lawrence unconscious from his injuries. He regains consciousness in the branch headquarters of the Milone Trading Company, where Marlheit informs him that Holo led rescuers to his location before departing.

The deal didn't go as well as hoped, but they made enough money to keep going, or should I say, Spice and Wolf made enough money to keep going. :)
@IzanaSolos
IzanaSolos said:
That unexpected figure was Chloe.

Chloe arrives and attempts to persuade Lawrence to hand over Holo in exchange for sparing his life and offering lucrative wheat purchasing opportunities. When he refuses, Chloe commands her men to recapture Holo and, if needed, to kill Lawrence. To shield Lawrence, Holo morphs into her wolf form and wreaks havoc among their pursuers before vanishing, leaving Lawrence unconscious from his injuries. He regains consciousness in the branch headquarters of the Milone Trading Company, where Marlheit informs him that Holo led rescuers to his location before departing.

Chloe?, not in this version
May 6, 12:14 PM

Jul 2017
Good episode and a nice way to conclude this arc. Only thing was that Yarei was not a character that did much for me in this episode and arc, even with the tie-ins that were presented in the episode for his motives, but the rest of it was very good. The transformation for Passione-standards looked fairly good, music was a bit over-the-top at times in the middle but mostly very good to bring out the intensity of what was taking place in this episode. And the ending was a satisfying little conclusion to the arc as Lawrence and Holo join up again to continue on their journey together for Holo to 'repay her debt' and Lawrence to 'fulfill his contract'. As an adaptation, for a first volume, not perfect and I still prefer the atmosphere in the first season but this was respectable to say the least. I hope the other volumes are done justice too.

One thing that was a mixed bag for me was the design of the wolf compared to the original anime. The original's wolf definitely looked more striking, intimidating and badass to scare the others away and truly showcase Holo being intimidating to human and other animals alike. This one looked a lot more 'cute' but fell flat given what was happening, and the moment with Lawrence stopping Holo from killing Yarei being a little weaker for me as a result by a touch. It was a bit distracting but overall, the episode itself was good enough to not have this be that big of an issue for me. Plus, Holo's voice acting was really good in this episode and sounded great in pure wolf mode.
May 6, 12:14 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Man the wolf howl was a great way to even the odds by taking away their hounds. Still that chase through the sewers sure was tense. That transformation scene was damm well done. In the end im glad that the villains were punished and that Lawrence and Holo's split was a temp one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 6, 12:20 PM

Jan 2023
We conclude this week the adaptation of the first book with a really good and intense episode.

In the sewers below the city, Holo and Lawrence soon find themselves chased and even completely cornered by the bad guys, Lawrence getting gravely injured in the process.
But in a beautiful scene that follows he completely refuses to sell Holo to save his life, and so she decides it's time to finally show her true form to save her favorite 'fool' and we see the real Holo for the very first time.
Understandingbly the villains scatter in fear, and even Lawrence shakes a little, but ultimately his desire to be with her still takes over his fear and he calls out to her before she leaves, making it clear he likes more the Holo he sees everyday than he fears her wolf form.
That ending is super cute and adorable, I mean she basically accumulated more 'debt' with him just so she could continue to travel with him haha.
And yes, the guy says the name of the show, gotta love it when they do that.

Ultimately Holo and Lawrence bond grew a lot stronger through a few key scenes these last couple of episodes, and it's clear they will keep traveling together for a while.
Next week, a new arc start, can't wait to see Nora :)
May 6, 12:30 PM

Jan 2018
Finally, Holo transforms into her wolf form for the first time in this adaptation. Gotta say she looked much more terrifying in the OG. The Remake version makes her look more gentle which seems to be a theme with her human form too.

I think I prefer the music in the remake more. I don't think the original's music is bad but it's way too loud very often. I think the remake's OST sounds pretty similar so it could be different arrangements of the same music. I could be wrong tho. Overall the audio design in the remake seems better. Holo's howl to fend off the dogs was more terrifying here.

It's good that Milone didn't betray Lawrence and Holo. Tho the profit they made was quite small. There was no way they were gonna get rich this early.

I'm glad Lawrence was able to convince Holo to stay with him. Not having the Wise Wolf beside him would've been a tremendous loss.

Poor Lawrence's best clothes tho. At least Holo got some new clothes.

The title drop was funny once again. And looks like I was right about this episode being the end of book 1 based on the other comments.
Can't wait to see what's in store next. Hope we don't see Yarei again tho.
0451May 7, 8:06 AM
May 6, 12:50 PM

May 2015
Reply to IzanaSolos

@IzanaSolos so in your pathetic attempt to be 1st in the comments you can't even get the characters right. There is no Chloe in this adaptation
billybubMay 6, 12:59 PM
May 6, 12:51 PM

Dec 2012
He said the thing! He said it!

Jokes aside luckily the wolf animation was not 'bad CGI'.
May 6, 1:22 PM

Jul 2012
After all these years of not remembering the original show (or perhaps, I never actually finished it), I understand the "Spice and Wolf" title!
May 6, 1:26 PM

Jun 2019
This episode was so intense yet ended beautifully somehow. I loved it so much. Holo again being the cutest and then she protected Lawrence as well. My girl. Her transformation was amazing. I was scared for a second that she might have left Lawrence on his own but I'm glad that wasn't the case. They need to stay together forever. I love them so much. An incredible episode overall and such a great remake it has been. Sasuga Passione.

SPICE AND WOLF. Title drop was so beautiful.
May 6, 1:34 PM
May 2023
Milone trading is such bruh xD For those who don't understand the deal between Milone and Medio: Imagine Milone Trading with all the effort negotiating, urgently collecting 307.212 silver coin to obtain the priviledge from king Trenni just to get robbed by 1000 silver coin from its competitor, Medio Trading. In fact Medio Trading hasn't even collected those coins yet and they are in despair to get the priviledge (Tarriff exemption from wheat) by using Holo as prisoner.
InspiredChildMay 6, 1:45 PM
May 6, 1:34 PM
Dec 2023
OH MY GOD THEY DID THE THING. THEY SAID THE THING.
May 6, 2:22 PM
May 2017
this episode was perfect !!!!!!!
May 6, 3:25 PM
Feb 2020
phantomfandom said:
I'm confused but at least I get to see shirtless Lawrence.

A lot of part may be hard to understand due to the fact a lot of what goes on is inside Lawrence’s head. The books help a lot.
May 6, 3:40 PM
Sep 2021
this episode had me put the biggest smile on my face in a while

May 6, 3:45 PM
Deadhead

Dec 2018
Had a feeling the Medio Trading Company boys wouldn’t just let their wolf be taken without a fight, the sewer chase was pretty intense all the way up to the final confrontation with Yarei, but Holo knew what had to be done, and I gotta say that transformation was nicely done, it was both cool and upsetting to see our cute Holo become such a giant beast, although you could argue she still looked cute in this form lol, I’m not surprised to hear she looked scarier in the OG anime but I still think it was done well here. It was satisfying seeing her wreck those guys that were ganging up on her and Lawrence moments before, and although it would have been pretty metal to see bloodshed, I figured she wouldn’t go that far, it makes more sense that she wouldn’t do that too.

And it seemed like Holo was gone afterward with Lawrence recovering and finding out they didn’t make much money after successfully thwarting that silver coin scheme, I guess there wouldn’t be much of a show if they broke the bank this early lol, but thankfully Holo left a message only Lawrence would understand which led to that very nice reunion to end this first major arc on. And thanks to Marlheit we got the show’s name said within the show “Spice and Wolf” and the credits rolled, it’s not a joke this time lol, only there’s more show to go and this isn’t the end. And that was it for this first arc, as a new fan of the series I’m definitely looking forward to seeing what’s next.
TheColonel76May 6, 3:56 PM
May 6, 3:48 PM

Mar 2020
Holo transforms to save Lawrence, and the intensity increases...

The adaptation of the first novel is done, and the arc wrapped up with the Medio Trading Company continuing their pursuit of Lawrence and Holo, only for Holo to transform in order to scare everyone off. I do wish the transformation had some more polish to it, but for Studio Passione’s standards, it looks good enough. I’m glad that after Lawrence and Holo were separated, they found one another again after the incident and decided to “fulfill their contract” by travelling together once again. Overall a fine episode but I know this could be even better with a higher level of production quality.
May 6, 3:50 PM
Jul 2015
I feel like they leaned a bit too hard into dog-like features for the wolf form in this one, but it wasn't crappy CGI so I'll take it lol
May 6, 4:01 PM

Sep 2016
Amazing episode.
May 6, 4:07 PM

Sep 2017
That's the first volume bb. I'm glad they gave it the time it deserved with 6 episodes. The "Spice and Wolf" line was not spoken out loud by a character in the book (was just narration) but I liked how they included it here. Next volume is honestly one of the best in the entire series so I'm pretty hyped.
May 6, 4:18 PM
Sep 2021
Who's the idiot who translated this? Lawrence's contract with Milone was that he gets 5%, not 50%. 120 out of 2400 is 5%
May 6, 4:43 PM
Oct 2016
Holo reveals her true from to save Lawrence! Continuing the couple's daring escape attempt in the sewers. Lawrence was able to get Holo back within his grasp but that was just the beginning of their escape. There's still the issue of being pursued down in the sewers and finding a way out. Very intense scenes with Lawrence trying to figure out a way through this labyrinth of sewers. Holo getting more and more worried about where could they escape from, each turn in a direction not leading to freedom. The pursuers chasing them had a lot of men devoted to this, leading to them cornering Lawrence and Holo and Lawrence getting stabbed in the arm. A brave move by Lawrence diving in front of Holo to take the blade himself. Holo ultimate decision to transform so she could save him was so heartbreaking. You could tell she didn't want Lawrence to see her that way but it was her only choice. Knocking all the henchmen around and even the traitor Yarei. Lawrence got a good relationship with this trading company out of this whole thing, the silver coin profits weren't much but of course Lawrence could spin that into some nice pepper he can turn for even more profit. Reunited with Holo they're back on the road north.
May 6, 5:37 PM
Mar 2021
IzanaSolos said:
The deal didn't go as well as hoped, but they made enough money to keep going.

With the help of the Milone Trading Company, Lawrence successfully retrieved Holo. However, before they could even celebrate their reunion, they found themselves pursued by the Medio Trading Company, and the two of them were forced to flee through underground waterways. As they made their way towards the surface, the voices of their pursuers drew nearer... And just when they were blocked and cornered, an unexpected figure appeared before them. That unexpected figure was Chloe.

Chloe arrives and attempts to persuade Lawrence to hand over Holo in exchange for sparing his life and offering lucrative wheat purchasing opportunities. When he refuses, Chloe commands her men to recapture Holo and, if needed, to kill Lawrence. To shield Lawrence, Holo morphs into her wolf form and wreaks havoc among their pursuers before vanishing, leaving Lawrence unconscious from his injuries. He regains consciousness in the branch headquarters of the Milone Trading Company, where Marlheit informs him that Holo led rescuers to his location before departing.

is this an AI post?

there's no Chloe here😭 wrong version!
May 6, 5:45 PM

Dec 2021
Reply to billybub
@IzanaSolos so in your pathetic attempt to be 1st in the comments you can't even get the characters right. There is no Chloe in this adaptation
@billybub Yeah my bad, it's 1 AM where I live when this airs, so I make mistakes. The point I was trying to get across was the differences, but I was half-asleep making this, so I forgot to say some stuff.

May 6, 5:53 PM
Jan 2024
very good wow the spisode is ....
May 6, 6:03 PM
Feb 2023
amo su relacion🥺
May 6, 6:08 PM
May 2017
Another excellent episode! The man is faithful to his goddess. The goddess fights for her man. What a couple, Lawrence and Holo!
Mene, mene, tekel, parsin
May 6, 6:16 PM

Jul 2016
Reply to MrHunterxHunter
IzanaSolos said:
The deal didn't go as well as hoped, but they made enough money to keep going.

With the help of the Milone Trading Company, Lawrence successfully retrieved Holo. However, before they could even celebrate their reunion, they found themselves pursued by the Medio Trading Company, and the two of them were forced to flee through underground waterways. As they made their way towards the surface, the voices of their pursuers drew nearer... And just when they were blocked and cornered, an unexpected figure appeared before them. That unexpected figure was Chloe.

is this an AI post?

there's no Chloe here😭 wrong version!
MrHunterxHunter said:
is this an AI post?
I bet it is, the guy asks ChatGPT to write a review for him just so he can be the first to comment, as @billybub said. pathetic indeed
May 6, 6:28 PM
Feb 2020
Ehentalix said:
I feel like they leaned a bit too hard into dog-like features for the wolf form in this one, but it wasn't crappy CGI so I'll take it lol

Honestly passion has decently surprised me with the animation. Some parts are amazing and perfect and others are iffy CGI. Overall decently impressed with the studio for how bad their reputation is.
May 6, 6:31 PM
Feb 2020
0451 said:
Finally, Holo transforms into her wolf form for the first time in this adaptation. Gotta say she looked much more terrifying in the OG. The Remake version makes her look more gentle which seems to be a theme with her human form too.

It's good that Milone didn't betray Lawrence and Holo. Tho the profit they made was quite small. There was no way they were gonna get rich this early.

I'm glad Lawrence was able to convince Holo to stay with him. Not having the Wise Wolf beside him would've been a tremendous loss.

Poor Lawrence's best clothes tho. At least Holo got some new clothes.

The title drop was funny once again. And looks like I was right about this episode being the end of book 1 based on the other comments.
Can't wait to see what's in store next. Hope we don't see Yarei again tho.

I will say tho the transformation sequence in remake was def better. The fact her jaw dropped open in a supernatural way with the creepy teeth combined with the distorted vocal sounds was amazing.
May 6, 6:49 PM
Jun 2012
This episode was A-ma-zing!

The transformation scene was definitely a step up from the original.

I definitely prefer Yarei over Chloe for this episode. The character felt much more real.
Could also be down to better animation of facial expressions and modern audio recording.
I also never really liked Chloe (as a character) in the original anime.

Looking forward to next week.
May 6, 6:50 PM

Jul 2022
How beautiful to see them defending themselves and caring for each other. I expected Holo to use her wolf form when she was cornered, but I didn't expect Lawrence to know how to defend himself. They both played their roles equally well. I'm glad they didn't end up separated again; it would have hurt to see them suffer after all they've built. Let's see how their journey continues. Will they have more peace? I doubt it, but as long as they're together, I'll enjoy it.

PS: From the viewer's perspective, Holo's wolf form is beautiful, haha, although I imagine how terrifying it must be in real life.

PS2: I loved that they revealed where the anime's name comes from, and even more so that someone said it. It gives a strange sense of pleasure.
May 6, 7:12 PM

Apr 2022
they went crazy with the ost, transformation was good. damn lol people getting so mad over a mistake from third post.
May 6, 7:26 PM

Oct 2022
"lawrence stand back i am beginning to korb" -korbo the wise wolf
fgsfds
May 6, 7:42 PM

Nov 2023
He said the thing, he said Spice and Wolf!

On a serious note, this was a great episode, one of my favorites so far.
May 6, 7:44 PM

Feb 2010
good episode, visually some highs and lows, but pleasant highs

at the beginning of the episode I thought "oh, it's understandable they put 10 animation directors, they've stepped up the animation, it's at least 2 or 3 times better animated than the eps before" but it didn't last long 🤣 the shots where they were running were rather well animated and drawn that said

also lots of little moments I didn't remember, I don't know if I forgot or if they were cut from the old anime, like the little story that leads to the title drop (and the title drop itself), among others

on the other hand the wolf looks like a dog, it lacks snarls in his eyes lol but the scene where she leans over him goddamn

“Read as little as possible of critical or aesthetic works. They are either products of a close-minded spirit, petrified and devoid of meaning in their lifeless hardening, or clever verbal games [...]. Works of art are of an infinite solitude; nothing is worse than criticism for approaching them. Only love can grasp them, keep them, be just toward them. Always give precedence to your own feeling against these analyses, these reviews, these introductions. [...] You must let every impression, every seed of feeling, ripen within you, in the dark, in the inexpressible, in the unconscious, those regions closed to understanding. Wait with humility and patience for the hour of the birth of a new clarity. Art demands of its faithful followers as much as of its creators.”
— RAINER-MARIA Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet (letter dated April 23, 1903).
May 6, 7:49 PM
Jan 2022
great episode as always...
May 6, 7:51 PM
Nov 2023
Good animation on the transformation scene, though I think the same scene hade more impact in the 2008 version. I also really liked the 2008 wolf design, it looked savage, intelligent and ancient, whereas the remake version almost seems like a cute domestic dog in comparison. Also I have to say that Chloe was a more compelling and interesting character than Yarei despite being an anime original character. Still enjoying this remake though.
May 6, 8:13 PM
Oct 2019
Holo transform!!
Thank god it's not CGI.
Kevin Penkin Godly OST 🔥

And he said the Thing!!
BEAUTIFUL TITLE DROP.
May 6, 8:32 PM
Mar 2015
Holor saved our boi and promised to repay him after she made it back home
May 6, 8:34 PM
Jan 2022
every episode only gets better💥💥💥
May 6, 8:40 PM
Mar 2024
I thought this was going to be some generic romance and anime, and i cannot be more wrong, this anime is actually peak.
May 6, 9:12 PM

Jun 2021
Ah another anime where I didn't notice the Title drop. Not that it matter since it wasn't some epic moment or anything.

My doctor has always told me to smoke. He even explains himself: “Smoke, my friend. Otherwise someone else will smoke in your place.”

May 6, 9:34 PM
Sep 2021
Reply to Knighthammer619
@IzanaSolos
IzanaSolos said:
That unexpected figure was Chloe.

Chloe?, not in this version
@Knighthammer619 chloe is not in LN, yarei was there
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» How does this compare to the original?

anizawa89 - May 10

35 by Isekai-Enjoyer »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 13

64 by RioFS »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 20

48 by olokinprime »»
Today, 4:45 AM

» Rating

AshTheChamp - Yesterday

5 by KayKimii »»
Yesterday, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Apr 29

94 by LuisSV23 »»
May 23, 9:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.