Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Shangri-La Frontier
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Nov 5, 2023 1:30 AM

Nov 2011
They really had to tap into info about MMO and more game mechanics. Well...I suppose the show wants to educate its audience.

In the present timeline, we got Arthur facing off against Sunraku. There's obviously a skill gap between the two and the episode didn't waste much time to show what she's capable of. Sunraku did the logical thing by running away but Arthur didn't that well. Animalia deserves some credit for courage this episode though.
Nov 5, 2023 2:37 AM
Jul 2023
Animalia was really want to go for it.
Nov 5, 2023 3:20 AM

Dec 2017
ffs not just late subs but also another cliffhanger.
welp looks like pencilgons desire to battle psyger-0 won't be fulfilled this time with that final/(secret?) attack of animalia.
❝Kabo-chan is ran by the MAL staff team and does not respond to individual comments made on her profile.❞
I was immensely devastated.
Nov 5, 2023 3:25 AM

Apr 2011
Virgin Rei: "I am so happy I can meet with Sunraku. Now we talk and maybe even hang out in future!"

Chad Pencilgon: "I am so happy I can meet with Sunraku. Now I can ambush and murder all these high level players he hang out with!"

Also is it just me, all was there slightly drop in animation quality?
Nov 5, 2023 3:26 AM

Feb 2008
Nothing much the battle was fast pacing and so on .

They actually put a flavor limit in a VR game huh lol.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Nov 5, 2023 3:34 AM

Feb 2021
This came out an hour later that usual on CR for some reason. Oh well.

阿修羅 (ashura) - "Asura; demigod; anti-god; titan; demigods that fight the Devas (gods) in Hindu mythology​"
会 (kai) - "society; association; club"
廃人 (haijin) - "cripple; disabled person; invalid" (Derogatory)
狩り (kari/gari) - "hunting"

SHE FOUND HIM LET'S GOOO
Oh hey, this is my favorite yojijukugo (四字熟語 - "four-character compound word (esp. idiomatic)")! 日進月歩 (nisshin geppo) - "steady progress; rapid advance"

Feeling flavor in games is actually OP as hell, as in you can eat only healthy food irl, then go into a game and eat all the junk food you want with no harm to your health.
Good episode!
Nov 5, 2023 4:17 AM

Dec 2021
Just want to put it out there that’s subs will probably be late from now on due to daylight savings ending.

Honestly, I couldn't help but feel a bit sorry for the underperforming game in this episode, even though some of the issues were caused by the creators themselves.

And I really appreciate the music during the Pencilgon fight. In many video game storylines, PKers are portrayed as ruthless villains, but here they're more about bad manners than being truly evil, and the music reflects that.

Nov 5, 2023 4:26 AM
Oct 2016
So many characters converging on Sunraku right now. First he had that shaman animal lover girl fiending for where the bunny kingdom is. Next came the max level player killer Arthur Pencilgon whom Sunraku already knows from a previous game where they fought. Which I love getting those backstory moments showing Sunraku in previous trash games fighting people whom he's now running into while playing Shangri la Frontier. This Arthur lady being the next one since her and Sunraku fought to a draw in that post apocalyptic game and now here she has the level and stat advantage. Sunraku does well to keep Arthur at bay with all the skills he picked up from tons of trash games. Having to adapt to shitty games for so long has honed Sunraku skills to make playing in a god tier game a breeze. Arthur with her higher stats would probably beat him eventually but all Sunraku has to do is get into town for safety. Very cheap move by Arthur bringing henchmen from her guild to stop Sunraku too. Which brings in yet another player to this fight of Psyger 0 aka Rei the girl that likes Sunraku irl and has been trying to find him in game. Thankfully she's super strong in Shangri la Frontier so jumping in to help Sunraku is a great benefit to him now. Sunraku has gotten some nice reinforcements he just needs to make it to the town.
Nov 5, 2023 5:16 AM

Oct 2017
Things just got crazy with Pencilgon's appearance and now even Psyger-0 is here. That animal obsessed girl is quite strong too. The backstory for them was neat. Also it's nice that they are explaining the gaming terms for non gamer viewers.
Nov 5, 2023 5:31 AM

Apr 2022
okay, pencilgon seems to be more of a baddie than i initially thought, like her chemistry with sunraku as well. emul's cuteness just never gets old and it's still irresistible. took 6 episodes but psyger-0 has finally made it to sunraku, wonder how things will play out now.
Nov 5, 2023 5:49 AM
Nov 2018
Cue the "aw yeah, it's all coming together" meme. PvP, clans, old friends. Wish the episode had gone on a bit longer and we didn't have to wait to see the conclusion of this pvp fight outside of the 3rd town.
Nov 5, 2023 6:35 AM

Apr 2023
I'm enjoying this show so much more than I thought I would! The music at the start of the fight and before Psyger-0 logs on were great!
Nov 5, 2023 6:43 AM
Apr 2022
I am anime only with this series and I just realized with this episode that this series can go in tons of directions by being able to bring in different games into the story line. This is shaping up to be a great series, glad I decided to watch it this season.
Nov 5, 2023 7:07 AM
May 2015
This episode was the most boring one of the series so far for me. It just dragged on and went nowhere... literally. It started and ended outside the gates of Third Town and nothing super revealing or exciting happened. I'm sure next week will be better, but rather disappointed this week.
Nov 5, 2023 7:47 AM

Feb 2021
She's a attack master? That means She have a huge damage when attacking someone XD
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Nov 5, 2023 7:53 AM

Dec 2016

It reminds me of the meta comedy in Boring Girlfriend where the cast laugh at trash anime tropes, but they also use it in the show as a "hey look aren't we zanny" kind of comedy.

Guess this is going to be the format to pad in 25 episodes, long worthless infodumps in the middle of a battle and 2nd takes repeating the same events from a different POV that add absolutely nothing to the story or the characters.
Nov 5, 2023 7:54 AM
Jul 2014
Although this eps had less SLF progression due to ambush from PKs, it's an important eps in terms of character development.
Much of Pencilknight's character is revealed through the backstory of his/her history with Sunraku - tyrannical, dominant, competitive, banters with Sunraku, nowhere close to Sunraku's base game skill etc.
I hope more watchers understand that truly god-tier anime takes time to build their world. If you're only after action and dopamine, I recommend watching fight scenes on YT instead!

What I liked:
- Emul transforming back within 5 mins, as stated
- Sunraku fending off a lvl 99's flurry of attacks with pure skill & experience despite having outclassed equipment & being out-levelled
- Sunraku being witty, relying on his acumen to bet on the Animalia clan leader for helping them escape from Pencil
- Pysger-0 having an older sister who's also seemingly a passionate SLF player

What I think can be improved:
- I don't think the scene of Nanaさん & Rei talking at the game store, needs to be repeated (it was shown in eps 4 too)
- I think Rei's soliloquy about "I could never play a game with Hizutome because all his games are too difficult for me" is more suitable if voiced over a scene of her rushing to Sunraku instead
- I don't think the repeated animation of Psyger-0 one-shotting the PK is required. I think it'd be more natural to switch to the dust cloud behind Pencil & Pencil's soliloquy about "Sunraku's skills are more valuable than unique items/equipment" after Psyger-0 jumps for her attack
- I think the continuity is flawed between 11:55-12:35. Animalia leader was further from the city when Emul hopped on Sunraku. Yet Animalia leader appeared nearer to the city after blocking Pencil with a blast
Nov 5, 2023 7:56 AM

Jan 2009
arthur is sexy hot eh

finally the love interest of sunraku is here too
Nov 5, 2023 7:59 AM
Feb 2022
So Pencilgon is supposed to be a griefer/toxic/troll player? I guess her behaviour was kind of positive for the game she met Sunraku in and in this one only negative? I'm confused.

Also I bet she's that gameshop keeper IRL.
Nov 5, 2023 8:03 AM

Mar 2013
And so the stalker girl finally saved her crush in the nick of time!!!
Two possible heroines in a single episode... another harem, perhaps? if you add Animalia, she could be the 3rd one... lmao (you could add the Vorpal Bunny as a 4th if you're into it, lol)
It's not that I dislike this genre but... to add unnecessary fan services to/in/for heroines
and ultimately destroys her character and personality; their purity tarnished because of it,
is the only thing I hope to not happen to them. For that sole purity is my fan service.
Nov 5, 2023 8:21 AM

Mar 2016
Reply to Embient
This came out an hour later that usual on CR for some reason. Oh well.

阿修羅 (ashura) - "Asura; demigod; anti-god; titan; demigods that fight the Devas (gods) in Hindu mythology​"
会 (kai) - "society; association; club"
廃人 (haijin) - "cripple; disabled person; invalid" (Derogatory)
狩り (kari/gari) - "hunting"

SHE FOUND HIM LET'S GOOO
Oh hey, this is my favorite yojijukugo (四字熟語 - "four-character compound word (esp. idiomatic)")! 日進月歩 (nisshin geppo) - "steady progress; rapid advance"

Feeling flavor in games is actually OP as hell, as in you can eat only healthy food irl, then go into a game and eat all the junk food you want with no harm to your health.
Good episode!
@Embient Daylight time ended last night, you should expect all your shows one hour late for the next six months because of that.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Nov 5, 2023 9:07 AM

May 2020
Not like we already knew it, but still they confirmed it nonetheless, that status or equipments within this game wouldn't be a concern for our protag, as his experience from playing hundreds and hundreds of trash games have already put him in a separate league within the hierarchy of this game... so very convenient lol.

I mean he should've suffered something just for the sake of it when he was fighting against level 99 Pencilgon. Anyways, I hope that girl does muster up the courage to tell Sunraku about her true identity... though I doubt she'd actually do something like that.
Nov 5, 2023 9:34 AM

Dec 2020
Sunraku is at a low level but he can easily dodge the attack of Arthur and the other high level players.
Sure now that Psyger-0 has come is getting better and better.
Amalia was also nice but yeah she no chance.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Nov 5, 2023 9:35 AM

Sep 2016
Sunraku eating a burger was great XD
Nov 5, 2023 9:38 AM
Mar 2015
Idk I don't really care about the PK theme and that Giant Killer guild. This ep was slow and nothing really important to me happened. Ok that girl from his school can meet him but let him go do the quest I want to see it. Also, kind of wish he wouldn't play with that Pencil Knight, she seems annoying as hell. I also wish he will never tell anyone about the unique scenario.
Nov 5, 2023 9:52 AM
Dec 2021

How cool was this episode! This wouldn't be an MMORPG without the PKs <3. The PKs scene was brilliant! This series, it never fails to amaze me.
Nov 5, 2023 9:58 AM
Aug 2023
i like this anime, but episode 6 disappointed me, in my opinion the flashback scene to the past was too long, it took away the drama of the moment, this is just my opinion or Because I lost patience.
Nov 5, 2023 10:03 AM
Dec 2021
Reply to Mainnus
Animalia was really want to go for it.
@Mainnus I loved your comment haha. I'm curious about Animalia clan, they seem fanatic about mobs <3
Nov 5, 2023 10:24 AM
Oct 2023
man this anime is slow af
Nov 5, 2023 10:41 AM

Mar 2021
Lots of people complaining about the pacing - gonna let you know now that it's not gonna speed up. They're already adapting 3 chapters per episode. This is just how the manga is paced. Some stuff will take multiple episodes to resolve. Also we got a valuable introduction to best girl Arthur.
Nov 5, 2023 11:37 AM
Oct 2022
Was Animalia's max HP 128 at Lvl 99, or was that due to some curse(s)?

If your enemy thinks you're beaten because you used 4 curses, and you have the chance to attack, make it a surprise attack, don't tell them you still have an attack. I don't know, is it possible to write a good story that keeps that in mind, or do you have to alert your enemy to keep the story interesting for viewers?
LucenProjectNov 5, 2023 11:42 AM
Nov 5, 2023 11:52 AM

Nov 2020
Pencilgon is as good as the OP makes her look. What a real surprise this anime has been so far!
Nov 5, 2023 12:25 PM
Dec 2021
This anime is incredible! One of the best of the season, if not THE best.
Nov 5, 2023 12:27 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Sunraku has lured in quite the pack of players in such a short notice. From the animal lover to a clan of PKs featuring a player from a past game, both preventing him to get into the city. All seemed lost until finally Psyger-0 made her appearance and now the fight will go on... or be cut immediately, whatever works best.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Nov 5, 2023 1:02 PM

Jul 2017
Not a bad episode but dragged on way too long for my liking. What should have been more fun and intense lost steam towards the end because of how slow and repetitive it felt despite the action being alright and Pencilgon being decent here.
Nov 5, 2023 3:49 PM
Jul 2021
Gl0rp said:
So Pencilgon is supposed to be a griefer/toxic/troll player? I guess her behaviour was kind of positive for the game she met Sunraku in and in this one only negative? I'm confused.

Also I bet she's that gameshop keeper IRL.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
-DxP-Nov 10, 2023 9:07 AM
Nov 5, 2023 4:00 PM

Oct 2018
Im so happy this is 25 eps, already has me looking forward to more.
Nov 5, 2023 5:34 PM
May 2022
The rating is biased due to having caught up to the manga before rating it, but I would've hoped to have seen even more than what we got from Pencil Knight/Arthur Pencilgon, even knowing that she was one of the main focuses in the episode. She's such a fascinating character and I very much appreciate this anime having no shortage of skilled women gamers like her and Psygo-0 & even the shaman from SF-Zoo.
Nov 5, 2023 6:39 PM
Apr 2023
The intro characters are finally coming in.
Saiga also finally able to encounter Sunraku so I can't wait for Katsuzo to debut too.
Nov 5, 2023 7:10 PM

Mar 2007
Another great episode! So happy she found him and just in time too.

Emul is just too cute, I don't blame everyone for wanting one.
Nov 5, 2023 7:24 PM

May 2021
Reply to Tenzen12
Virgin Rei: "I am so happy I can meet with Sunraku. Now we talk and maybe even hang out in future!"

Chad Pencilgon: "I am so happy I can meet with Sunraku. Now I can ambush and murder all these high level players he hang out with!"

Also is it just me, all was there slightly drop in animation quality?
@Tenzen12 drop in quality has been going on continually. Just barely noticeable.
Nov 5, 2023 7:27 PM

Mar 2008
Took forever for Sunraku's love pursuer to track him down.

A game you can taste the food? How the heck does this thing work? There is no controllers so it just reads your brainwaves and puts info right into your brain?
Nov 5, 2023 7:41 PM

May 2021
Thank you everyone for transcribing this episode for the 67th time in a row, one after another. It's not like the rest watched the episode before coming here.

That said, a bit better episode than the last one. Still many shortcuts in animation and plenty of still shots. At least pacing was okay and shots were consistent. What we didn't need was yet another game and explanation of its rules which will never be used again. Do authors think this counts as world building? I mean sure, you can treat it like that but it's pointless and boring. Speaking of pointless, that rabbit did jack-all entire episode. They could have easily shown previous duel in parallel with this one or presented it in some other way without explaining the pointless rules. Who cares that people looted NPCs in some game you will never see or hear about again. Such a waste of time on already short episodes thanks to those little sketches after outro. Those are even more useless.

So far thirsty girl is the only one with some logic and goal left in her head, even though she's lusting way too much. Also, this is giving off a really bad stench of upcoming harem twist. Every single supporting character is female and they all want something from him and are starting to fight over him.

Overall it was meh. Far from the "best anime of the season" like many are saying. I did get fewer urges to fast forward this time, than on previous episode. So that's something.
Nov 5, 2023 7:54 PM

Feb 2019
she finally crossed paths with sunraku, and it's all thanks to that viral screenshot that other player took lol
Nov 6, 2023 1:11 AM

May 2019
With the level difference I would've thought that Sanraku had no chance against both Arthur and her teammates but he was able to stand his ground at least until Psyger-0 showed up. I wonder who is stronger between Arthur and Pysger-0 but it looks like that pet loving girl will interrupt Arthur and has a trick up her sleeve so that match-up may have to wait.
Nov 6, 2023 2:50 AM

Sep 2023
My favourite episode thus far!
Great saves!
Super cute facial expressions by Emul too. :P
It used to be WTF is meaning, all I know is loyalty.
Now it's all I know is meaning, and I'm loyal to that.
Nov 6, 2023 2:54 AM

Sep 2023
Reply to Kimurah

It reminds me of the meta comedy in Boring Girlfriend where the cast laugh at trash anime tropes, but they also use it in the show as a "hey look aren't we zanny" kind of comedy.

Guess this is going to be the format to pad in 25 episodes, long worthless infodumps in the middle of a battle and 2nd takes repeating the same events from a different POV that add absolutely nothing to the story or the characters.
@Kimurah I guess I agree with the repeating event POV, but I don't find the 'infodumps' to be padding, they add substance imo
It used to be WTF is meaning, all I know is loyalty.
Now it's all I know is meaning, and I'm loyal to that.
Nov 6, 2023 3:56 AM
Sep 2021
So psyger-0/rei saga comes to the rescue of sunraku/Hizutome, and it's time for the fight.
Nov 6, 2023 4:50 AM

Apr 2015
I'm not really getting the reasoning behind the fighting, seems pointless to me.
Or rather it feels more like an isekai fight than a video game PvP.
Nov 6, 2023 5:34 AM
Mar 2023
Damn cliffhanger, I want him to talk to her, I think from the first one she's been waiting, but knowing Sunraku he's going to use her to escape, although if he sees the emblem on her back maybe he'll cooperate with her at least in this fight, although I don't know if He read the message, I think it was in the forum of the capture, it was not a personal message, I don't remember anymore. Let's see if the crazy animal girl achieves something, it would have been better for her to just do it, so as not to give Pencilgon time to react, who by the way, surely also wants to conquer Shangri-La or something like that.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shangri-La Frontier: Kusoge Hunter, Kamige ni Idoman to su Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 8, 2023

129 by romzanalimohon »»
Sep 25, 12:07 AM

Poll: » Shangri-La Frontier: Kusoge Hunter, Kamige ni Idoman to su Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 1, 2023

199 by romzanalimohon »»
Sep 25, 12:06 AM

Poll: » Shangri-La Frontier: Kusoge Hunter, Kamige ni Idoman to su Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 31

119 by oozukimaru »»
Sep 14, 4:24 PM

Poll: » Shangri-La Frontier: Kusoge Hunter, Kamige ni Idoman to su Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 3

52 by ShinyGzilla »»
Sep 11, 7:18 PM

Poll: » Shangri-La Frontier: Kusoge Hunter, Kamige ni Idoman to su Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 11

161 by Ardi8 »»
Sep 8, 7:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.