Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 24, 2021 7:28 AM

Jul 2017
The final battle between the Heike and the Genji at sea...it's a bloodbath battle of Dan-no-ura in the Shimonoseki Strait.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Dan-no-ura

This battle reminds me of Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End with the Maelstrom sunkenness, and that where the sea creatures go, there the losing side will be with the winds tide of change. And all these are happening within what the eye can see from afar, with the Emperor Antoku's position being challenged if the Genji won (which they will), and Biwa has no chance to stop it (even if she has a choice to) but she can only dictate the sequence of events that has occurred through her Biwa singing.

All the women, including Tokuko and dragging Emperor Antoku along, chose to end their lives through suicide, except that Biwa still saw a future within her to save her from death. This is the resulting end of the Heike Clan as they were surrounded on all sides, and loyalty to their own clan rather than letting the Genji crucify their tradition.

Tokuko is saved and living within Emperor Go-Shirakawa's quarters, and she's more contempt to being a Shiraboyshi nun to live her days of recluse. Maybe one day, Tokuko would get out to tell the story of the Heike to generations, and Biwa would continue her songs of stories on the Biwa.

This might just be the best episode ever yet, and IT HAS TO BE THE FINALE EPISODE. I feel TOTALLY SATISFIED with this resolution.
KANLen09Nov 24, 2021 7:48 AM
Nov 24, 2021 7:29 AM

Feb 2021
Damn was that the finale? Funimation said it has 11 total episodes...

But what a finale that was, really emotional.
Seeing Tokuko watching her child die and becoming a nun was really heartbreaking, and then she even tells the emperor how much she has suffered...

Really liked this series, one of the best of the year seriously underrated.
Nov 24, 2021 7:33 AM

Nov 2007
This Tweet says the ep. released today is finale.
https://twitter.com/heike_anime/status/1463522801705529348

tsubasaloverNov 24, 2021 7:46 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Nov 24, 2021 7:46 AM

Jun 2019
If this was actually the end of the show then this might be the best ending to this show. In the end, there was nothing that Heike could do other than suicide and die with pride. All the women and even the emperor committed suicide. What a sad scenery to witness. And, for what, scared treasures? Long gone... at this point. Tokuko is alive but the Heike has met its demise.

I'm very satisfied with the ending. I've nothing else to say other than that it was a really intriguing story from the start to finish. Loved everything about it. From the beautiful animation, Science Saru, the GOAT to the beautiful OST thanks to Ushio Kensuke, a literal god, everything was just beautiful. I'm so sad that there wasn't much hype around it and not many people know about this show. I hope this gets the attention it deserves.
Pre_YumNov 24, 2021 7:52 AM
Nov 24, 2021 8:23 AM

Jan 2021
Damn, what a wild ride. OSTs in this episode were so good!

7/10 Kinda sad, how underhyped it is.

Also!!! That opening was 11/10, one of my favourites now.
KiR4TNov 24, 2021 8:52 PM
Nov 24, 2021 8:31 AM
Jan 2021
What a beautiful end to a beautiful show. I was honestly speechless while the ED was rolling. The path Tokuko has to take was disheartening, but very well done in my opinion. I have nothing to complain about from this show. The soundtrack, the pacing, the characters, the finale, I loved every second of it.
Nov 24, 2021 8:36 AM

Nov 2020
A absolute masterpiece. Never expected I'd love this show this much when starting the first episode. From the art, to the music (including an all-time great OP), the characters, the perfectly executed narrative... what a miracle.

10/10. AOTS.
Nov 24, 2021 8:37 AM

Jul 2011
Thats one scene that I want to see in person, toppling a huge boat.

I just think suicide by drowning is kinda anticlimactic.

Well at least 2 of the 3 regalia were recovered.

While Tokuko survived and got the nun cut, Sukemori survived and kept that stupid mustache.

As always Tokuko took the worst jobs till the end.
Nov 24, 2021 9:02 AM
Mar 2021
I loved every single episode of it.Really good,amazing masterpiece and I hope more people enjoy it because its a really underappreciated gem right now.
Go watch it!
Nov 24, 2021 9:22 AM
Feb 2020
It really has been such a long time since I felt like this after finishing a show. This has been a true masterpiece all throughout.
Nov 24, 2021 9:58 AM

May 2015
What a great ending to what is easily the best NEW show this season if not year. It's an absolute shame more people aren't watching this
Nov 24, 2021 10:13 AM

Jul 2017
The melancholic ending was solid and refreshing compared to the other kinds of anime airing this year and fit the show well, but was not enough to redeem the rough experience for me with this series despite the potential it had for me before ending. If only the pacing was so much better for this series along with the characters.
Nov 24, 2021 10:29 AM

Sep 2016
This was such a well done show. I had read about the Genpei War before, I knew how it would end all along yet I couldn't help but tear up. Solid 8/10
Nov 24, 2021 10:39 AM
Jul 2015
I'm sure this was the last episode.
Nov 24, 2021 11:45 AM
Mar 2015
All things must pass
Nov 24, 2021 12:04 PM

May 2021
Great episode! The final battle between the Genji and the Heike was a large battle at sea. Blood was spilled everywhere. This was just an amazing finale episode. Seeing everyone (including the emperor) committing suicide by jumping into the sea was just... an unexplainable feeling.

Absolutely amazing finale and one of the best series this year. Such a beautiful series.
AISHITERU...REM!
Nov 24, 2021 1:02 PM
Dec 2020
One of best historical anime i watched....
Nov 24, 2021 1:37 PM

Apr 2009
I remember when I watched the NHK drama Yoshitsune, the scene of the Taira clan committing suicide by jumping into the river was the most memorable one. The anime did a great job in animating this very tragic part of history.
Even though the sword is supposedly back in the hands of the royal family, nobody actually knows how and when or if it ever really got retrieved afterwards. As only the royal family is allowed to see the regalias, the box containing the sword could be very well empty and is just symbolically presented publicly during the crowning ceremony.

Overall the anime was enjoyable enough, though the pacing is too fast that it makes it hard to connect to any of the characters. I still feel that Biwa's character and her powers were kind of pointless addition though.
The animation quality was top-notch, as you can expect.
shiroi-ookamiNov 24, 2021 1:45 PM
Nov 24, 2021 1:59 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Damn, after reading the previous comments I feel kinda bad that in the end I didn't end up enjoying the show overall. Most of the time I was lost on who was who, the pacing was weird with lots of details happening off screen, so keeping track of them was a chore.

Plus, Biwa's character didn't end up amounting to anything (she was even the only one whose appearance didn't change with age, in relation to the rest). Her powers were severely underused plot wise and her character felt really out of place.

Still, at least the animation was distinct from other shows, the soundtrack certainly contributed to the atmosphere and some of the scenes (despite all my questioning) were genuinely emotional. For newcomers I suggest looking up some of the historical details before watching this for a better experience.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
Nov 24, 2021 2:13 PM

Jul 2020
one reason why I loved this show sm was how fresh it was. It really was a nice break from all the other stuff we get, and dam did it go out well as well
Nov 24, 2021 2:18 PM
Nov 2021
Damn they all committed suicide.
Nov 24, 2021 2:39 PM
Nov 2019
Tearjerker!
I rewatched the last 3 mins over and over again...
It's just so heartbreaking.
Harakiri in Japan was very common back in those days
Nov 24, 2021 4:02 PM

Jun 2021
What a beautiful ride. These last 3 episodes were phenomenal.

Really happy that Yamada came back and brought us this beauty. I was hyped to see what type of a product Yamada x Science SARU would produce, and they did not disappoint.
Nov 24, 2021 4:04 PM
Nov 2021
a question, sukemori survived? the one with the mustache at the end looked like him
Nov 24, 2021 4:14 PM
Oct 2013
How can one overcome suffering? Where are we heading?

As expected, this anime did not disappoint. Tears are constantly flowing in the second half. After finishing this, there are lots of questions in my mind, mostly the cultural and symbolical aspects. Time to read the source material I guess. I went into this from having zero interest and knowledge on this historical tale to knowing most of the Heike members as if they were my family. I feel Biwa is a good example of self insert character that serves both viewers appreciation and creators expression. She may not grows physically, but she sure does mentally/emotionally. A bit of mystery do make this story more interesting.
Nov 24, 2021 4:39 PM

Apr 2015
Beautiful and yet sad end.

The last scene with everyone committing suicide is so sad and felt bad for Tokuto, but I feel she finds some peace in the end.

I have some minor complains about the series:

The main one is the pacing, i feel it would be much better if they detailed a little more the story, characters and historical facts for people that don't know shit about the Heike story. New characters came and go without too much impact some times and a lot of time skip.

About Biwa I got what she represents, but i think the eyes power thing adds almost nothing to the story. They could still use the same spiritual and religious impact the same way.

Overall enjoyable and hidden gem in the season 8/10. Must watch for historical anime fans.

Also I want the full opening song.
ScarRufusNov 24, 2021 4:43 PM
Nov 24, 2021 5:04 PM

May 2021
The last sequence was impressing, the soundtrack played really well into the final message with all the voices intertwining the principle of people, the intensity crescendo was amusing and the awkward afterthought of serenity could be felt

The anime was fine? I suppose that the story cant be really told with this approach and so it was doomed to fail in terms of being able to be understandable at many points. One can just feel some sort of satisfaction with the impressive visuals and atmosphere, but the story itself fell flat just by concept

Nov 24, 2021 5:11 PM

Sep 2011
Damn, that was a good finale. This was a very good show but it has some issues that are a lot worse for people who don't know anything about the original Heike Monogatari or that period of Japanese history. A lot of characters blend together due to their small amount of screentime and similar character designs.

Still a really strong show and Aoi's performance was stellar. 8/10
Nov 24, 2021 6:21 PM
Jul 2015
Tokuko just living the the emperor now? "sorry for killing almost ur entire clan btw i just wanted treasures"

probably should have paid attention more but I don't understand the motive for wiping out the Heike
Nov 24, 2021 7:32 PM
Oct 2014
This show is a true masterpiece in so many ways. What a beautiful adaptation. I'm so honestly blown away. Every frame of this show is Hokusai-level beauty that mimics the ukiyo-e look. The way they wove in bits of the original verse with the biwa as an homage to their source material... the script and just like.. literally everything about this show has me blown away. A new all-time fav for me, esp for historical dramas.
Nov 24, 2021 8:37 PM
Nov 2015
Great Art style and animation and also Great emotional moments. But man I wish we got more action heavy scenes, the show skips a lot of it. Genpei war is not a common theme in anime and God I wish this show have double the episodes so they wouldn't have to skip most of the battle scenes.
Nov 24, 2021 8:48 PM

May 2018
wtf is japan's obsession with suicide
Nov 24, 2021 8:59 PM

Jul 2019
From my personal experience, I really had no problems keeping up with the state of characters, plot points, and narration. I think it's a better experience that I decided to watch every episode twice because I was very intrigued by this anime in the beginning.

Overall, Heike Monogatari is the most standout anime of this fucking season. And I loved it.

-[ ~♫~ ll Credit ]-
Nov 25, 2021 1:15 AM
Dec 2020
masterpiece, a perfect ending, suicide and dying with pride. dialogue was amazing. soundtrack together with the flute, absolutely perfect.
Nov 25, 2021 2:43 AM

May 2020
At a time where almost every conclusion to a story feels out of place or too rushed to even comprehend, this was quite an outstanding end to a series which was full of potential but the condition of knowing many things beforehand made me somewhat reluctant to keep continuing it initially but still glad i did. Atleast got something new to see other than your average seasonals filled with same ol' fantasy, isekai or whatever.

Music was top notch and so was the animation, so 7/10 for now.
Nov 25, 2021 2:59 AM

Apr 2020
rasterman7 said:
Damn, after reading the previous comments I feel kinda bad that in the end I didn't end up enjoying the show overall. Most of the time I was lost on who was who, the pacing was weird with lots of details happening off screen, so keeping track of them was a chore.

EXACTLY how I feel too
I don't know how signatures work

Nov 25, 2021 5:26 AM

Oct 2016
Man, what a great finale and a great show overall.

It was honestly really hard to keep up at the start of the show, it was very overwhelming, but as we went along, little by little I was finally able to keep up. Very depressing, but very powerful conclusion to the Heike. It did feel fast super fast paced, I am sure the source is much more detailed, but they were able to convey what they wanted to convey in 11 episodes, and they did it amazingly.

I can't help but feel bad for Tokuko, though, while I am glad she survived contrary to Biwa's vision from the very beginning of the show, it felt very cruel to bring her back after accepting death. But, as Biwa said, she still has purpose, to make sure the Heike is not forgotten.

Rest in peace Sukemori, Tomomori and everyone else that went on ahead. 9/10
Nov 25, 2021 5:33 AM

Sep 2013
It's very refreshing to observe a story of Taira clan from a totally different standpoint, compared to what I knew. Good watch!
Nov 25, 2021 6:40 AM

Nov 2010
The opening passage of "the tale of the Heike" is told with a background of "the threads of five colors". The threads converge into a thread coming from Tokuko's hand. It is believed that the threads between Buddha and a prayer lead the prayer to the land of bliss. The moment that Shigemori's tasteful voice joins the recitation is quite emotional.
Nov 25, 2021 6:40 AM
Jul 2021
Rick_0f said:
a question, sukemori survived? the one with the mustache at the end looked like him
Yes, he survived. He was also not present in the last scene where the whole family gathered in another world.
Nov 25, 2021 6:54 AM
Jun 2021
Reminds me of The Piano ending scene
Nov 25, 2021 6:57 AM
Jul 2021
rasterman7 said:

Plus, Biwa's character didn't end up amounting to anything (she was even the only one whose appearance didn't change with age, in relation to the rest). Her powers were severely underused plot wise and her character felt really out of place.

Still, at least the animation was distinct from other shows, the soundtrack certainly contributed to the atmosphere and some of the scenes (despite all my questioning) were genuinely emotional. For newcomers I suggest looking up some of the historical details before watching this for a better experience.
The relationships of this story could be understood with a little care. In my opinion, if you can only recognize Shigemori's children and His sister and father, it will be enough to be impressed.
Nov 25, 2021 7:03 AM
Jul 2021
It was definitely a masterpiece. And those who understand this, must try that introduce this masterpiece to the people, because unfortunately it has received little attention.
Nov 25, 2021 8:46 AM
Oct 2019
What a Tragic End for Tiara Family.
Suicide Together...

For me as non japanese and not really familiar with the Historical Event.
It's kinda hard to keeping up with who is that guy, who is this guy all the time.
But i kinda get the overall story, probably.

Maybe if i familiar with the History, i would definitely enjoying it more.

It's 6/10 fine series for me.

But the Opening though it's 11/10 for sure.
Nov 25, 2021 11:51 AM

Nov 2019
Time to revisit Brad Pitt and his battles.

SgtBateManNov 25, 2021 12:31 PM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Nov 25, 2021 2:56 PM
Apr 2021
Rick_0f said:

At around 16:35, we can see what looks like Sukemori in his armor with another individual; throwing themselves into the rapids.

According to the Japanese Wiki Corpus, Sukemori did commit suicide in 1175 at the rapids of Dannoura.

So I'm not sure who they may allude that Sukemori has survived the Battle.
Nov 26, 2021 5:21 AM

Oct 2008
Masterful episode! at least Tokuko survived...RIP to those who didn't.
5/5.
8/10.

Nov 27, 2021 5:45 AM

Aug 2021
the epilogue hits especially hard when considered within the context of naoko yamada's own survival
Nov 27, 2021 7:03 AM

Mar 2010
This is a good reminder to not overuse your power, and to not let others take your life, but rather choose your own death. These old ways of honor are what make stories get passed down. And to bear that pain is but the price to pay.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Nov 27, 2021 11:09 AM

Feb 2017
this was a pretty good show but i felt i couldnt appreciate it enough because i was getting really confused by the characters. i found it hard to follow along at many points because i dont know the original story.

placeholder text
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Why have the dates when this series aired been changed from the autumn of 2021 to the winter of 2022?

WatchTillTandava - Nov 16, 2022

5 by Rexnihilo »»
Apr 19, 7:22 PM

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 5 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 13, 2021

35 by Andrzej2 »»
Apr 10, 5:07 PM

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 7 Discussion

KANLen09 - Oct 27, 2021

26 by L01MK »»
Jan 14, 11:16 AM

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 9 Discussion

KANLen09 - Nov 10, 2021

40 by Hydre_Ito »»
Dec 28, 2023 5:05 AM

Poll: » Heike Monogatari Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Sep 22, 2021

54 by silent_lurker »»
Nov 12, 2023 5:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.