Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Tesla Note
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 3, 2021 7:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Yeah, definitely not impressed by the CGI style of this show but it's watchable. Not going to lie, but this does have a catchy theme song.

What a strange organization though. And with Botan's personality, it's sometimes hard to take her seriously. Also not impressed by Kuruma so far but at least the anime is approaching the story with a serious tone. The show definitely has to prove itself more imo.
Oct 3, 2021 7:30 AM

Jul 2017
I have to get this out of the way: If you are here to rant about the 2D-3DCG mixing style of Ex-Arm, while it's still here, don't be. At least this new studio Gambit does the execution infinitely better than some Visual Flight "studio" early in the year. It's still bad, but watchable.

Masafumi Nishida (Tiger & Bunny) is back from last season's Re-Main for the adaptation of his own creation of a work that's written together with Tadayoshi Kubo that just started this year.

I quite like the OP though, it has a cool lick to it. ED is fine.

Getting introduced to the MCs Botan Negoro and Kuruma, and this Mission "T" derived from the founder himself (Nikola Tesla) to retrieve the crystal Fragments of Tesla, and it's such a weird relationship that doesn't waste anytime dabbling on pacing, this is good.

The novice intelligent agent-cum-spy that is Botan on her first assignment impersonating the scientist researcher Luise to figure out the train incident that purged out of nowhere from space through a warp, that was a vailant effort to escape unscathed.

Pretty much Chapter 1 in a nutshell (from known English translations), and it's so much better than Ex-Arm.

But still, make your judgments on whether you'd think that Tesla Note is trying to be the spiritual successor to Ex-Arm. Which I personally think it isn't.
KANLen09Oct 3, 2021 8:30 PM
Oct 3, 2021 8:33 AM

May 2009
Oct 3, 2021 8:47 AM

Mar 2018
Fun game: Take a shot every time someone mentions Ex-Arm in this discussion thread. You will die.
Oct 3, 2021 8:51 AM

Nov 2016
Damn, Botan can throw hands. She's also cute at that.

The CGI is kinda funny to look at which is better than nothing or mediocre CGI. But compared to Ex-Arm I'm also at least somewhat intrigued by the story.

Groenboys said:
Fun game: Take a shot every time someone mentions Ex-Arm in this discussion thread. You will die.

The legacy lives on.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Oct 3, 2021 8:59 AM

Apr 2009
Nice 2D animation for 30 seconds fakeout. That was awful lel.
Oct 3, 2021 9:05 AM
Sep 2015
I don't know why the OP song sounds like South Korean boy band song. But the truth is this is the first song from the new artist Tokyo Monsters, which I assume from the name that they're Japanese.

Usually the first episode has the best visual, so it'll get worse from now on (yes, it can get worse than this). In previous season Night Head 2041 recover some of the 3DCG reputation by pulling a nice work, but I'm afraid this anime will pull it down again.

But it's too early to judge the story yet, but it has a so-so conversation, which is supposed to be compensated by hot characters, unfortunately there are only a few of them.
Oct 3, 2021 9:06 AM

May 2018
Wow, the spiritual successor of Ex-Arm?
Best fall surprise yet!
Oct 3, 2021 9:26 AM

Jan 2015
Visuals are bad enough, but then you got the guy that was at the helm of Re-main making the show, recipe for disaster.
Oct 3, 2021 9:34 AM

Jan 2019
Not as good as Ex-Arm, but an honorable contender.

Inevitable jokes aside, I actually like this episode. The story and characters are captivating, and I want to see more of it. Just hope they stop blatantly mixing 2D and CGI in the same frame.

The movement is also awkward or uncanny sometimes. See the gif above. People don't bob like that while walking. She's not on the ocean or an irregular terrain.

CGI also has the fault of less facial expression, which they worked around with 2D shots in more exaggerated scenes, but that's odd. High Score Girl and Shinigami Bocchan do a good job on expressing emotion with that style. These studios could be inspired and learn more from their predecessors.
Oct 3, 2021 9:42 AM
Apr 2015
The 2D/3D melding is about as bad as ex-arm, but the comparison ends there. pretty much every other aspect of its execution is far better
Oct 3, 2021 9:43 AM

Mar 2018
The OP is definitely lit and seems the Full OP is out already, nice. The ED is quite funky which is also loveable.

The anime itself... well... I would appreciate it if they stop using mixed styles within the same frame(s) because that is not pleasing to the eye at all. Let's see where the story will bring us.

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Oct 3, 2021 9:43 AM

Jul 2021
The cgi got me chocked up even if it's combined 2d and 3d, I wouldn't mind watching this if there is further character and/or story development because animation aside, the story is pretty mysterious and decent I guess so assuming that in the following upcoming episode, the story will either flop or might b surprisingly good, who knows 🤷‍♀️
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Oct 3, 2021 10:31 AM

Nov 2017
I watched 2 minutes and 31 seconds of this, wtf lmao. Why have 3D and 2D mixed together....the manga art was so good. Deserves a better adaptation.
"he has it big as a cactus
but he won't let go of my head
and I puke on his cock bitch" - Boy by Fishball 
Oct 3, 2021 10:33 AM

Sep 2020
This was.... horrifying.
Oct 3, 2021 10:38 AM

Mar 2016
Just the bad CG is hilarious, I think I'll stick here a while
Groenboys said:

I asked my liver, he said "bring it on, bitch!"
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Oct 3, 2021 10:50 AM
cote goat
Mar 2018
Let me get this straight: it looks like shit. However, it only LOOKS like shit. I don't see any flaws in the animation, only the visuals. The character's voice acting is fantastic and so are the timing of the jokes; I can't believe I actually laughed at some parts. I'd even argue that the horrible visuals play into the jokes as it gives a feeling of not taking it too seriously. Sound design and music are pretty good too. The one thing I hated about it is the obvious horrible 2D to 3D transitions, or even both in the same scene. They should've just kept the foreground and characters CG and the background 2D or traditionally drawn.
Bocchi is my spirit animal :)
Oct 3, 2021 11:01 AM

Jul 2011
This one 3DCG is just depressing after past season had 2 visually good 3DCG shows.
The problem is the character don't blend with the world.

I dont even know if I will try to follow the 3 episode rule, the story sound cool, but the visuals stretch too much the goodwill.
Oct 3, 2021 11:01 AM
Dec 2007
Dropped it precisely at the line "a scientist born in Yugoslavia in 1856." It's like saying "born in the USA in the 13th Century", totally anchronistic and makes literally no sense (Tesla was born in Austria Hungary long before Yugoslavia was even created - should it have even existed in the first place is the real question, but let's not open this debate...)

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Oct 3, 2021 11:04 AM
Jul 2018
People are overreacting , its not that bad , ye some scenes were shit but its watchable 10x better than ex-arm and say whatever you want but some still frames are gorgeous
Oct 3, 2021 11:39 AM

Aug 2020
i must be brain dead but i actually really enjoyed this LMAO

the ed is actually a bop like wow
Oct 3, 2021 11:39 AM
Jul 2021
Wow purple hair's awkward CGI model popping up in a 2D classroom was extremely off-putting, it doesn't mesh at all and almost looked like it was slapped in there last minute. This could well have a decent story but that awful in-your-face animation right off the bat is going to drive a lot of people away. Why would they do this?
Oct 3, 2021 11:41 AM

Aug 2020
Sheklon said:

Inevitable jokes aside, I actually like this episode. The story and characters are captivating, and I want to see more of it. Just hope they stop blatantly mixing 2D and CGI in the same frame.

The movement is also awkward or uncanny sometimes. See the gif above. People don't bob like that while walking. She's not on the ocean or an irregular terrain.

CGI also has the fault of less facial expression, which they worked around with 2D shots in more exaggerated scenes, but that's odd. High Score Girl and Shinigami Bocchan do a good job on expressing emotion with that style. These studios could be inspired and learn more from their predecessors.
completely agree. The first scene was so jarring lmao. It was fine until fmc showed up and looked super out of place.

also the ed slapss harddd
Oct 3, 2021 11:44 AM

Jan 2019
dompsterfire said:
Sheklon said:

completely agree. The first scene was so jarring lmao. It was fine until fmc showed up and looked super out of place.

also the ed slapss harddd

Yeah, jarring is really the word I was looking for.

I liked the OP and the ED too, pretty good music. Also, I only notice now that maybe more of these kinds of silhouette animations are done with CGI and I never realized? Dunno. lol
Oct 3, 2021 11:56 AM
Jan 2020
legitimately what the fuck
Oct 3, 2021 12:27 PM

Jul 2019
I have no idea why but I enjoyed this more than I should.
Oct 3, 2021 12:51 PM
Nov 2019
The story is interesting but will it be good enough to distract from the bad visuals?
At least there isn't any fog everywhere...
Oct 3, 2021 1:02 PM

Nov 2012
The acting was great and the writing pretty good. The story itself is ok. Normally, that would be enough, but the CGI might be too crappy to be overcome.

If she's on assignment in another country, why was she wearing a school uniform? For some reasn that annoyed me.
dragynfaerieOct 3, 2021 1:11 PM
Oct 3, 2021 1:24 PM

Apr 2021
oh my lord haha wow. that moment really caught me off guard. interesting series, art aside haha. also why is the op and ed so good.
Oct 3, 2021 1:40 PM
Jan 2009
Like the OP, like the character interactions. Hate the CG. Idk how long I'll be able to continue.

For some reason I can't blink when I watch CG or the very bright colors, then my eyes hurt.
Oct 3, 2021 2:00 PM
Jul 2018
The before and after image of watching Tesla Note.
Oct 3, 2021 2:19 PM

Jun 2020
Very enjoyable first ep, the visuals felt awful for the first minute or two but I actually accepted them quickly enough, much better than Ex-Arm imo, the CGI characters feel much more expressive
This anime shit is addictive
Oct 3, 2021 2:24 PM

Feb 2017
i had to stop this episode 3 minutes in and have a good hearty laugh @ the animation

i think the first episode itself was interesting but bruh im really disappointed. there's something about this cgi which is just throwing me tf off. beastars and shinigami bocchan both looked fine to me and i quite enjoyed them but this really aint it chief. pls and its been so long since i dropped an anime; hopefully the plot continues to be interesting otherwise im not putting up with this for another 10+ weeks

nitpick but male MC's beauty mark is ginormous like why

placeholder text
Oct 3, 2021 2:47 PM
Apr 2014
I'm sorry! The CGI animation style is outright terrible! This show surely will be compared to Ex-Arm and Gibiate in how poorly executed this episode was. Both Cestvs and Night Head 2041 shines in comparison.

The story wasn't impressive either. It felt like a poor copy of James bond or Mission Impossible.

But as a Train fan from Sweden, I have to give props for the animators to properly represent the BM73 trainset shown in the 1st episode.

I am stacked with the number of shows I'm gonna watch this fall and I have no time to waste on garbage. Sorry but I drop this show outright!
Oct 3, 2021 2:48 PM
Jul 2015
I liked the story but the animation pissed me off. What's the point in doing that kind of animation? We don't need another EX-ARM!
Oct 3, 2021 4:12 PM

Jun 2021

This is a nightmare. I love it.
Oct 3, 2021 4:26 PM

Nov 2018
People comparing this to Ex-Arm are really jumping the gun. Yes the weird motion capture cg looks super jarring, but this actually has competent directing and decent dialogue. Definitely interesting even if not particularly great.
"Otaku search for patterns within data presented and draw conclusions. Anime fans only see clones and copies."
-artificialnightsky
Oct 3, 2021 4:51 PM

Jun 2021
The characters are also better at emoting, so it's not EX-ARM tier. Still, it's fun to imagine and hope for the next EX-ARM. We're all chasing that high.
Oct 3, 2021 5:02 PM

Jan 2020
I did not like this. I've seen worse stories but man... the visuals really just sadly hold everything back

Oct 3, 2021 5:55 PM
Mar 2021
Alot of ppl are simply hating bc of the CGI. To me, it is awkward but watchable (I've felt this way about all CGI anime btw). But as an anime fan, I look at all aspects of the show when judging. When I look at the OP of this show, I think the characters are interesting. I really liked Botan's personality and found her to be awkwardly funny. The 2nd MC (can't remember the name) was a bit annoying and kind of a hater but I think him and Botan's characters actually mesh well, so it should work. The little bit of action we got was nice and fresh. The show is quite fast paced, which I also enjoyed as well. So, all in all, good 1st episode
Oct 3, 2021 6:30 PM
Apr 2021
The comparisons to Ex-Arm are warranted
but I think they might be intentional

the animation is undoubtedly terrible. We're talkin season 1 RWBY levels of poor animation. It's got a level of jank to it, like unedited mocap data (which is probably exactly what it is). All the characters have ADHD. You see the difference between 2d and 3d is that 3d sits in 3d space. And once it does there's a whole new level of requirements in order for it to work. Humans do not stay perfectly still. There's always a teensy bit of movement. Your body balancing its weight to stay upright, the movement of your chest as you breath, etc. etc. But this show takes it beyond that. They're constantly moving about like they can't keep still. Massive energetic and janky motion during scenes where in 2d animation they would be completely still.
Some of the comping was just awful. Characters running at faster speeds then they're moving through the scene, making it look like their feet are sliding nonsensically. That classroom animation posted above where her walking bob was far too dramatic and exaggerated to feel natural.
Then the physics of the animation was also off. I won't go into detail there because it's so instinctual that anyone could pick it up.

Now for the "plot". We begin pretty solidly with that first scene but beyond that I have problems with pretty much everything else. Botan's entire introduction was the setup for a bad joke. She didn't talk and wore flashy glasses (in the most literal sense, because they honestly had no style). So the payoff for the joke is that she's actually a super immature and laid back person. But the problem here is that before she responded they showed us a "schematic" of her characteristics and it included such tidbits as "likes cute things" and from that piece of information alone the twist was already kind of spoiled. Because of the decision to make her introduction an elaborate joke we know almost nothing about her. What's her motivations? How does she feel about her current life? That said I feel like her personality is pretty clearly portrayed throughout the rest of the show.
Then our next introduction is Kuruma, who is just an obnoxiously overexaggerated character. He's the opposite of a spy. Loud, obnoxious, gloating, and just ridiculous. It stretches the suspension of disbelief to consider that he could ever be a spy. His introduction doesn't really tell us anything about his character other than he's obnoxious, has a high self opinion and claims to have a strong moral compass. What are his motivations? Who is he as a person? Who knows? I sure don't. To top this off we aren't shown him doing any impressive enough to warrant his self-absorbed behaviour in the rest of the show. He spends the entire time putting Botan down and claiming he's so much better but from what we've seen he's completely pathetic. This will probably change as he actually has shit to do later in the story, but this is one of the worst character introductions I have ever witnessed.
The next big problem is the world building. Sci-fi elements are introduced as they're necessary. We don't learn about Tesla until just before his weird shit is introduced into the story. This show doesn't understand setup, only payoff.

That said, it is incredibly fun to watch. The show doesn't take itself seriously and the creators seem to be having just as much fun as I was. Characters are hyper and the pacing is even more hyper. It's never boring and there's a lot going on so you can miss just how shit this garbage is if you only pay attention to the surface level. Most of the jokes landed for me, and there was a lot of... unintentional comedy to appreciate as well. This is probably the easiest "so bad it's good" watch I've ever seen. Usually with this kind of stuff, bad directors hold scenes far too long, and so even if the content is entertainingly bad it can often be draining to watch because of the slow pacing. This show fixes that. It's like a "so bad it's good" series for the time-rushed zoomer generation.
Oct 3, 2021 6:50 PM
Jul 2018
A Tesla anime that's different from high expectations for the next episodes.
Oct 3, 2021 6:53 PM

Sep 2013
Another surprise after Ex-Arm. The plot piqued my interest a bit and most likely I'll keep watching until the end.

Voice acting is decent but I haven't seen anything impressive in the cast so far in terms of personality. Hope they'll grow on me.
Oct 3, 2021 7:13 PM
Aug 2018
It’s nothing like Ex Arm people the cgi is jarring but the characters actually can make emotions and it doesn’t look that horrible after that first scene, can we not ruin the score like Ex Arm please, Ex Arm deserves its score but this isn’t that bad please I actually liked it, reminds me of Rwby where animation was a bit jarring but the content was actually entertaining and I don’t want to see this with a super bad score like at least keep over a 5 (the fact that I have to beg anime incels to actually look at an episode fully before judging hurts cause y’all shouldn’t be this dumb yet here we are)
Oct 3, 2021 7:31 PM
Apr 2020
I think episode 1 is all I can take... It's much better than Ex-arm but the way how they do the CGI makes it unwatchable. I just hope they do the CGI just like the recently finished D_cide Traumerei....

Well at least the OP is great. Alright I'mma leave on this anime and forum so goodluck on making throughout this.. anime...
Oct 3, 2021 7:40 PM

May 2020
Masterpiece of epic proportions

signature by
nightshadekait
Oct 3, 2021 7:45 PM

May 2010
I just want to mention the words Ex arm just in case someone is taking the challenge
Oct 3, 2021 8:12 PM
Aug 2019
I don't think I'll watch this. The CGI really reminds me of the first RWBY seasons lol. I liked the comedy, but I felt that she story went like... way too fast. I liked the OP and ED though, and the voice acting was nice too. And the comedy was good!
Oct 3, 2021 9:33 PM

Dec 2019
looks like a PlayStation 2 game... Another work with a very good proposal being spoiled by the CGI...
Oct 3, 2021 10:08 PM
Jul 2017
I don't even bother with these shows anymore, as soon as I notive they are 3DCGI which isn't difficult I drop them. Utter waste of my time and it must be a waste of the creators time as well.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tesla Note Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 28, 2021

12 by AshRayKay »»
Apr 29, 9:13 PM

Poll: » Tesla Note Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 21, 2021

13 by AshRayKay »»
Apr 26, 2:45 PM

Poll: » Tesla Note Episode 7 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 14, 2021

16 by imblench »»
Jan 1, 2023 4:57 PM

» It's really sad

Ikutaayase - Dec 21, 2021

16 by MrPerfectOtaku »»
Mar 20, 2022 10:43 PM

Poll: » Tesla Note Episode 13 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 26, 2021

23 by smoodflamez »»
Feb 8, 2022 4:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.