Forum Settings
Forums

What is the biggest epiphany you have ever had in your life?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Dec 2, 2012 6:21 PM

Aug 2009
When I realized that someday I'm going to die, so it's time to stop giving a fuck what others think and do what makes me happy.

And that religion is bullshit and shouldn't even exist because it makes people hateful.
Dec 2, 2012 6:22 PM

Oct 2012
BloodRequiem said:
eldest said:

if it were abolished and had never even existed, the would be no wars, no mindless killing, economic problems, corruption, and man would be a space faring (borderline colonizing) race
see

I'm not religious but the highlighted part of your statement is retarded.

This.
Seriously, zero corruption? AMONG HUMANS?
That's very absurd.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Dec 2, 2012 6:27 PM

Sep 2012
Tavor said:
BloodRequiem said:
eldest said:

if it were abolished and had never even existed, the would be no wars, no mindless killing, economic problems, corruption, and man would be a space faring (borderline colonizing) race
see

This.
That's very absurd.

okay then, think about every current war going on right now. (just look at the middle east)
think about the causes for both world wars.
tell me they didn't boil down to religion.
and all the scientific advancement currently and in the past condemned by the church.
and yes, if man hadn't been set back during the dark ages, just look at the exponential scientific advancement of today and give that another few hundred years head start.

all of you can criticized my post but if you're not gonna back anything of what you say with proof, don't post
Dec 2, 2012 6:33 PM

Sep 2011
eldest said:
Tavor said:
BloodRequiem said:
eldest said:

see

This.
That's very absurd.

okay then, think about every current war going on right now. (just look at the middle east)
and all the scientific advancement currently and in the past condemned by the church.
and yes, if man hadn't been set back during the dark ages, just look at the exponential scientific advancement of today and give that another few hundred years head start.

all of you can criticized my post but if you're not gonna back anything of what you say with proof, don't post

Religion can be a contributing factor, and a tool for people to deceive others, but it's definitely not a prerequisite for war. War is about power. And doesn't the former Soviet regime sort of prove you wrong, about everything?

The dark ages for Europe was the Middle East's golden age, and there were culture flourishing elsewhere.

But seriously, religion is the cause of all the world's problems? That's simply not true. I'll post this again
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Dec 2, 2012 6:34 PM

Apr 2012
eldest said:
Tavor said:
BloodRequiem said:
eldest said:

see

This.
That's very absurd.

Correlation does not imply causation. There has been evidence of conflict even before the establishment of any sort of religion.
And for you information, there are other wars: Korean wars, Vietnam wars that didn't boil down to religion.
Shitty economy? Blame greed and capitalism.
I agree with your scientific advancements point though but that depends on whether or not industrialization would happen earlier.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Dec 2, 2012 6:38 PM

Sep 2012
BloodRequiem said:
eldest said:
Tavor said:
BloodRequiem said:
eldest said:

see

This.
That's very absurd.

Correlation does not imply causation. There has been evidence of conflict even before the establishment of any sort of religion.
And for you information, there are other wars: Korean wars, Vietnam wars that didn't boil down to religion.
I agree with your scientific advancements point though but that depends on whether or not industrialization would happen earlier.

okay then, fair enough on your points there, but if you take it back to the part about scientific advancements, had man kept going at that rate, those particular wars wouldn't have ever happened. the world would be a far better place.
Dec 2, 2012 6:42 PM

Aug 2012
eldest said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Certainly religion has had a part in most of the wars that have occured throughout history.

Saying that there wouldn't be mindless killing without religion, is mindless in itself. People would still kill eachother over drugs, or because they thought that someone had stolen a few dollars. Whether or not we would be space faring is debatable.

Wars would still occur, their motives would just be different. As far as economics goes, you are completely wrong I'm afraid. Econonies revolve around more than religion. Saying "religion = bad economies" is a flawed statement that trivializes the complexities that actually make up an economy.

In fact, to use your logic against you, (Particularly, your assertion that religion is responsible for both wars and bad economies) the second world war, and its military industrial complex are a big part of what got America out of The Great Depression.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Dec 2, 2012 6:44 PM

Apr 2012

It wouldn't have gone at that rate without calculus. And now we come to a question no one can answer: Would people come up with Calculus before Leibniz/Newton?

Goryo said:

In fact, to use your logic against you, (Particularly, your assertion that religion is responsible for both wars and bad economies) the second world war, and its military industrial complex are a big part of what got America out of The Great Depression.

Uhh...the Great Depression was before WW2 and I'm pretty sure that getting out of the depression had more to do with the reparation paid by the losers.
BloodRequiemDec 2, 2012 6:48 PM
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Dec 2, 2012 6:45 PM

Sep 2012
Goryo said:
eldest said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Certainly religion has had a part in most of the wars that have occured throughout history.

Saying that there wouldn't be mindless killing without religion, is mindless in itself. People would still kill eachother over drugs, or because they thought that someone had stolen a few dollars. Whether or not we would be space faring is debatable.

Wars would still occur, their motives would just be different. As far as economics goes, you are completely wrong I'm afraid. Econonies revolve around more than religion. Saying "religion = bad economies" is a flawed statement that trivializes the complexities that actually make up an economy.

and as i retorted before, had religion not existed back before the dark ages, all of this would be a non factor, as none of it would have happened and man would have been a far advanced race.
Dec 2, 2012 6:48 PM

Sep 2012
BloodRequiem said:
eldest said:
BloodRequiem said:
eldest said:
Tavor said:
BloodRequiem said:
eldest said:

see

This.
That's very absurd.

okay then, fair enough on your points there, but if you take it back to the part about scientific advancements, had man kept going at that rate, those particular wars wouldn't have ever happened. the world would be a far better place.

It wouldn't have gone at that rate without calculus. And now we come to a question no one can answer: would people come up with Calculus before Leibniz/Newton.

i read a good quote somewhere before, it said, if the world was destroyed and was eventually rebuilt, with no prior knowledge of the past, old religions would never be recreated the same. math and science on the other hand would, they are alway true regardless of time frame or interpretation. you could destroy the world and recreate it with a whole new race of people, and math would still be the same, 1+1 would still equal 2, and calculus would still be discovered eventually. the religion would be another completely different thing though since its based on unprovable bullshit.
Dec 2, 2012 6:50 PM

Aug 2009
I do think we would be a lot farther advanced in science and technology if it hadn't been for such strong religious beliefs in the past, since the answer to any unknown question was "GOD DID IT."
Dec 2, 2012 6:54 PM

Aug 2012
eldest said:
and as i retorted before, had religion not existed back before the dark ages, all of this would be a non factor

Wrong. just because you say it wouldn't have been a factor doesn't mean it would not have been. Arguing about what could've happened if only we had done things a certain way is pointless, primarily because it's impossible to say for certain what actually would've happened. For all you know, we would've had just as many wars in your alternate reality as we've had in this one. There's no way to tell. You said that religion = bad economies. In this reality, that statement is false.

Besides all of that, there's still the fact that if we had no wars, out technological innovation wouldn't have been as steep as it is shown to be on that timeline/graph of yours. Many technological advancements have come about because of conflicts.

mattbenz99 said:
Dec 2, 2012 6:58 PM

Sep 2012
Goryo said:
eldest said:
and as i retorted before, had religion not existed back before the dark ages, all of this would be a non factor

Wrong. just because you say it wouldn't have been a factor doesn't mean it would not have been. Arguing about what could've happened if only we had done things a certain way is pointless, primarily because it's impossible to say for certain what actually would've happened. For all you know, we would've had just as many wars in your alternate reality as we've had in this one. There's no way to tell. You said that religion = bad economies. In this reality, that statement is false.

Besides all of that, there's still the fact that if we had no wars, out technological innovation wouldn't have been as steep as it is shown to be on that timeline/graph of yours. Many technological advancements have come about because of conflicts.

irrelevant, there would be instead of a few decades of rapid technological advancement, several hundred years. it would reach a certain point then become exponential.
Dec 2, 2012 7:19 PM

Aug 2012
eldest said:
irrelevant, there would be instead of a few decades of rapid technological advancement, several hundred years. it would reach a certain point then become exponential.

You make it sound as if religion never occurred, that Earth would be a paradise full of sunshine and rainbows, and I'm telling you that religion isn't the only factor that contributes to the negative aspects of our society or technological advancement.

Saying that religion is the root cause of all of the things you listed is ridiculous, and although the probabilities of us being more technologically advanced would likely increase, there's too many variables to be saying it as confidently as you are.

Technology isn't the end all be all of things that we as humans strive for, Religion is an experience that was necessary. An experience that we as a species can learn from and carry on into the future. We were bound to ask ourselves these questions that center on our existence and reality at some point in our story, and create religion in an attempt to answer them. I'm glad that we went through this experience early in our history, rather than at some point in our future.

We are where we are, religion is here, and our technology is where it's at because of a number of different variables. I think instead of pointing fingers and blaming people, we just need to move on. I think that blaming someones beliefs for our current circumstances would just lead to even more conflict, wouldn't it?

mattbenz99 said:
Dec 2, 2012 7:22 PM

Sep 2012
Goryo said:
eldest said:

You make it sound as if religion never occurred, that Earth would be a paradise full of sunshine and rainbows, and I'm telling you that religion isn't the only factor that contributes to the negative aspects of our society or technological advancement.

Saying that religion is the root cause of all of the things you listed is ridiculous, and although the probabilities of us being more technologically advanced would likely increase, there's too many variables to be saying it as confidently as you are.

Technology isn't the end all be all of things that we as humans strive for, Religion is an experience that was necessary. An experience that we as a species can learn from and carry on into the future. We were bound to ask ourselves these questions that center on our existence and reality at some point in our story, and create religion in an attempt to answer them. I'm glad that we went through this experience early in our history, rather than at some point in our future.

We are where we are, religion is here, and our technology is where it's at because of a number of different variables. I think instead of pointing fingers and blaming people, we just need to move on. I think that blaming someones beliefs for our current circumstances would just lead to even more conflict, wouldn't it?

i think it boils down to 2 people having a different opinion.
ill leave it at that.
Dec 3, 2012 9:29 AM

Feb 2010
The biggest epiphany I've had in life was realizing that I always had epiphanies; every unknown was significant and all the knowledge is meager.
Dec 3, 2012 10:43 AM

Feb 2009
JustALEX said:
I believe everyone in their life will eventually come to a sudden realization, some are small and insignificant, others change everything about you.

For me it happened when I challenged my faith and I realized how deeply flawed it was.

What about you?

Not wanting to be anti religious, but, the greatest moment in my life came when I had to accept that yet again religion had lied to me. I had been Mormon for a couple of years, but it fell apart when a friend showed me they were no different than the rest.

I made peace with my 30 years of science and got over it. There is no god, and I am not obliged to prove this kooky notional person is not here. It's for the idiots that insist he IS here to prove it or shut the fuck up.

I also don't have an invisible, weightless, heatless, noiseless dragon in my garage.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Dec 3, 2012 2:23 PM

Jun 2012
Looks like my faggot comment has disappeared.
Dec 3, 2012 8:18 PM

Oct 2012
Shuhan said:
You made a faggot comment? That's quite a faggot thing to do.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Dec 4, 2012 2:27 AM

Oct 2010
when i realized the voice in my head speaks a bastardized version of english that resembles lolcat speech
dont ask questions, just do answers
Dec 4, 2012 3:03 AM

Sep 2011
Lord_Joshua said:
when i realized the voice in my head speaks a bastardized version of english that resembles lolcat speech
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Dec 4, 2012 6:48 AM

Jul 2011
I believe the biggest epiphany in my life happened when I was 2.5 years old and my brother was born, I got to know that me and the cat weren't biological siblings.
Shook my world upside down.
Dec 4, 2012 7:46 AM

Jun 2012
katsucats said:
Shuhan said:

Takes a faggot to know a faggot.
Dec 4, 2012 7:52 AM
Dec 2012
I woke up one morning and realized that hated living in America. From that moment on, I wanted to travel and find a place to call home.
Dec 4, 2012 12:01 PM

May 2012
When I realized that there's no point in giving a shit what people think of you. Of course, I'm not going to act like a retard in public, or purposely do obnoxious shit, but I stand up for what I believe in and fuck you if you try to tell me I'm wrong. Unless you're right of course.
SkyKyz said:
Finding out that Blue from Blue's Clues is a girl, Life Changing Moment.

WHAT?! Alright scratch that, that's my new greatest epiphany.
PapasPastaDec 4, 2012 12:05 PM
Dec 4, 2012 12:05 PM

Sep 2011
Shuhan said:
katsucats said:
Shuhan said:

Takes a faggot to know a faggot.
HOLY SHIT!!!! Is no one seeing this, its remarkable, 2 cigarette are talking to eachother, HOLY SHIT

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 27, 2023 7:40 AM
Jul 2018
That my childhood wasn't normal, and that my mother left my father to escape his abuse.

And my father's sider of the family are nothing but gaslighting deniers that their own flesh and blood could be capable of abusing his own children.
Apr 11, 2023 5:22 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
When I look out to the stars And confront my own mortality, I'm overwhelmed by desire to live, To do something more, to give...
But time is short and I'll soon be dead Or living in my uncles pool shed. I get scared and I start to cry
Then I go to my room and get high. But just look at the shape I'm in. I wouldn't even know where to begin.. I've been living so long in sin so I think I'll go and get high again..

Apr 11, 2023 9:41 AM

Oct 2019
That life and especially youth is too brief and I don't have time, or a real reason, to care about things and people that I don't care about or hurt me.
Apr 11, 2023 9:51 AM

Jan 2020
BryanBossling said:
That animu isn't as gay as I thought

Naw man anime is totally gay. Homosexual, I'd dare to say.

Anyway, the moment I realized nobody gives a f*ck about me, so I finally felt free to live the way I wanted!
Apr 11, 2023 1:22 PM
Jul 2018
Dunno if I'd call it an epiphany but overwhelming nihilism has gradually developed as I realise more about the world.
That life as a whole is just a feral arms race and that the organisms that survive are always the most selfish.
That that humans are simply biological machines despite human ego thinking there must be something 'different' or 'supernatural' to make us special.
That politics is just a game to control the masses and all political parties are usually in bed with each other.
That in the next 5-10 years what I'm doing now won't matter because AI is going to radically fuck over every human purpose imaginable.
It's a very basic summary.
Apr 13, 2023 2:00 AM

Dec 2019
Nothing in life really matters, so just do what you want. We're free to do anything, though others are free to punish you for whatever you do, so in my opinion, just be a decent human being at the very least.

CharonLRdraws said:
And my father's sider of the family are nothing but gaslighting deniers that their own flesh and blood could be capable of abusing his own children.

It's all the same on my dad's side as well. Generations of abuse and not a single one of them gave a fuck or thought they were in the wrong for doing so. At least my dad put in the effort to be different from his ancestors. Yet guess who pays the consequences for his ancestor's actions? Dad, you don't deserve this, THEY DO.
Apr 14, 2023 12:39 AM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
That the government hates you, and can take away your rights at any given moment so long as you allow them. And that people will allow them to, provided that they are fearful enough.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Apr 14, 2023 1:34 AM

Dec 2022
That breakfast is actually break fast. 
I am not a native speaker, so learned the word before I learned the meaning of fasting. It also sounds different from break in breakfast. 

And then I was like oh
This is your reminder to drink water 💦 or eat some fruit  🍒 🥝
Apr 14, 2023 3:35 AM

Aug 2021
bitch u gay af NO WAY REALLY deadass lmaooo
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

» Are you e-famous? Are you an Internet celebrity? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 18

63 by mahreenkohkar »»
48 minutes ago

» why is being idealistic always considered as a taboo in this world?

FruitPunchBaka - 8 hours ago

5 by JaniSIr »»
1 hour ago

» Real Life Shipping: Have you ever done it or had it happen to you?

TheBlockernator - 6 hours ago

7 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
1 hour ago

» Anime convention stories

PAPOrr - Apr 19, 2023

23 by SmugMiri »»
2 hours ago

» My recent piano practice

philtecturophy - Jun 4

11 by philtecturophy »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.