Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 1, 2011 8:51 AM

May 2009
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
I knew the fashback would end this chapter. Hopefully the plot will start progressing now, and this whole arc will end soon. I seriously wish they were in the New World already.

Oh, and Luffy wis kind of a jerk for not giving a shit about Otohime's story.

Edit: And it's good that a random human killed Otohime. The Decken theory was lame. I thought it was Hodi, but it's better this way.
Jun 1, 2011 8:55 AM

Nov 2010
Thank god the flashback ended... There'll be action in the next chapter...
Though we have to wait for 2 weeks
Jun 1, 2011 9:03 AM

Jul 2010
I'm also glad flashback ended. time for some action in fishman island and then i really want to see new world, other rookies and captain smoke.
Jun 1, 2011 9:05 AM

Nov 2008
finally the flashback ended, and damn, he's still alive, thought Zoro would have beat him up much worse

can't wait to see the crew in action and get over with this arc
was looking forward to the fishman island arc, but then it just turned out to be too average
Jun 1, 2011 9:11 AM

Dec 2009
I'm happy that the whole flashblack is finally ended. I want to see more actions now.

Jun 1, 2011 9:16 AM
Feb 2010
I thought for a second the a World Noble had shot Otohime when Jimbei wanted the murderer to be unknown. There was no point in Vander Decken or Jones being the shooter, there would be nothing gained.
Goodbye, Fullmetal Alchemist
Jun 1, 2011 9:17 AM

Feb 2010
for OP standarts it was a lackluster flashback and i#m glad it is over and i expected a break^^
Jun 1, 2011 9:20 AM

Mar 2008
viral_hun said:
I thought it was Hodi, but it's better this way.

I wouldn't cross out Hodi just yet. :)
Jun 1, 2011 9:20 AM

Aug 2009
Luffy being Luffy taking a nap.
Jun 1, 2011 9:24 AM

Jun 2009
Arcanus said:
viral_hun said:

ya he semas lie the type that would frame humans jsut to amke the other hate them and give hima reaosn to kill them
Jun 1, 2011 9:27 AM

Feb 2010
Waiting for the motive of that human to be revealed.
Jun 1, 2011 9:35 AM

Jan 2009
Arcanus said:
viral_hun said:

What he said ^ for all we know, Hordy could have shot Otohime and just used the human as a cover up. Guy looked like he was trashed up b4 getting shot.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but Hordy wasn't around when the signatures were burned up, or when Otohime got shot.

but that's just my assumption. :p

and loolz at Luffy taking a nap, what a rude bastard. xD
Jun 1, 2011 9:52 AM

Jun 2010
A little surprising the human was well a 'nobody' I figured he would have a more important role, still then again someone else might've been pulling the strings.

Nice bit on Nami and Shirahoshhis relating to one another give their past traumas. And of course Jinbe being a man's man lol.
Jun 1, 2011 10:23 AM

Mar 2011
Arcanus said:
viral_hun said:

Agreed and nice end to the flashback
Jun 1, 2011 10:57 AM

Feb 2008
finally its over....next...
Jun 1, 2011 12:12 PM

Jan 2008
I have to agree with others that it's just too coincidental that the human pirate who "had a gun" was the one who shot the queen. Really? That's just way too easy, and pointless a death. I think some strings were pulled there, or at least some scapegoatism.

And Luffy napping is so Luffy. Kind of like when he walked away from Nami's backstory.

Bring on the battle.
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.
Jun 1, 2011 1:47 PM

Mar 2010
So much drama and Luffy is sleeping xD
Sorry for my English ^^' If you notice any mistakes, please tell me about it ^^ Thanks for corrections ^^
Jun 1, 2011 1:52 PM

Apr 2009
lol luffy sleaping cracked me up..

a human shooting the queen makes sense actually in all this racism story
Jun 1, 2011 2:27 PM

Jul 2009
Thank god the flashback is over with. I don't really like this arc that much. Too much backstory.
Jun 1, 2011 2:39 PM

Nov 2007
Wasn't Hodi the one who picked up the human and told everyone about it? From what I read, Jimbei was trying to stop him from causing more hatred.

Anyway, glad the flashback is over. It wasn't bad, but I want the main storyline already. We finally got our crew back so having to leave them again kind of sucked.

Seems like there's no chapter next week though >: Got to be patient /sigh

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Jun 1, 2011 2:43 PM

Jun 2007
That was a really touching and mature speech prince. You're ok in my book.
Nami also showed a lot of maturity this chapter. Great stuff all around. Too bad One Piece is on a break next week ;-;
Jun 1, 2011 5:56 PM

Jan 2009
bskbob said:
for OP standarts it was a lackluster flashback and i#m glad it is over and i expected a break^^

Pssh. Far from Lackluster. It's probably the heaviest backstory written so far. It's definitely the one that closely mimics real-life. Was amazingly well done.

Sucks about the break, excited to see where things go from here. Can't wait to see the pirates fully back in action and kicking some ass.

Also, calling Koala from awhile ago being big mum.
Jun 1, 2011 7:57 PM

Feb 2008
so... did zoro lose?
Jun 2, 2011 1:37 AM

Apr 2009
Liked it. and

CottonCandyLover said:
did zoro lose?
Jun 2, 2011 1:00 PM

Jun 2008
RaionStar6430 said:
Arcanus said:
viral_hun said:

What he said ^ for all we know, Hordy could have shot Otohime and just used the human as a cover up. Guy looked like he was trashed up b4 getting shot.

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but Hordy wasn't around when the signatures were burned up, or when Otohime got shot.

but that's just my assumption. :p

and loolz at Luffy taking a nap, what a rude bastard. xD

Yeah Hodi is still very suspicious.
So now everything is actually clear about Luffy destroying the fishman island. His actually gonna destroy the whole thing by leading the fishmen under the sun.
The prediction wasn't wrong, just not clear enough.
Jun 2, 2011 7:00 PM
May 2009
Well, the flashback is finally over...

I just can't stand how much time is spent generally in the story on flashback. I can usually tell the type of person each character in the flashback is and predict what will happen to each character, so it feels like the story is draggin on.
Jun 2, 2011 7:22 PM

May 2011
This flashback really got to me. The saddest part of this flashback is the realism. Human nature is really like this, the way queen Otohime suffered and struggled for 8 years and then finally seeing the light of hope at the end... just to get shot by some faggot. The never ending discrimination and hatred in the blood of all living things, seriously Oda is a genius. Not only is he writing a fantasy/adventure manga he is giving us reality checks and history lessons. All of these things have happened in the past.
On another note... I really like jimbei but I hope he doesn't join the crew but rather stays as an ally.
Zoro DID NOT lose in a fair 1 on 1, hes too badass for that.
Also I am starting to love Nami even more (if thats even possible lol)
Jun 3, 2011 4:03 AM

Feb 2008
Just LOL with Luffy sleeping.. XD

Hody is still alive, I hate it. I thought he was beaten by Zoro already...
Jun 3, 2011 8:53 AM

Jul 2009
Well I didn't expect it to be a random human who killed Otohime. But I guess it makes more sense than Vander Decken doing it really.
Jun 3, 2011 12:42 PM

Apr 2009
Monad said:

So now everything is actually clear about Luffy destroying the fishman island. His actually gonna destroy the whole thing by leading the fishmen under the sun.
The prediction wasn't wrong, just not clear enough.

heh so the arc will end with all the fishmen people going 'out' in the world ? :D thats why the island will be destroyed ? shit awesome idea man)

damn Oda confusing us at the beginning
Jun 3, 2011 3:10 PM

Aug 2010
Zack-Fair said:
This flashback really got to me. The saddest part of this flashback is the realism. Human nature is really like this, the way queen Otohime suffered and struggled for 8 years and then finally seeing the light of hope at the end... just to get shot by some faggot. The never ending discrimination and hatred in the blood of all living things, seriously Oda is a genius. Not only is he writing a fantasy/adventure manga he is giving us reality checks and history lessons. All of these things have happened in the past.
On another note... I really like jimbei but I hope he doesn't join the crew but rather stays as an ally.
Zoro DID NOT lose in a fair 1 on 1, hes too badass for that.
Also I am starting to love Nami even more (if thats even possible lol)

Thats very true. And I totally agree that jimbei shouldn't join the crew. He's good and all but he doesn't match with the crew.
Jun 3, 2011 3:15 PM

Jan 2010
burntlettuce said:
bskbob said:

Seconded.
Dear Math,
I'm not a therapist. Solve your own problems.

Oh, and Algebra?
Stop asking us to find your ex, she's NEVER coming back.
Jun 4, 2011 8:18 AM

Jul 2010
flame_master_14 said:
burntlettuce said:
bskbob said:

Seconded.

If that Lola from Thriller Bark Arc is daughter of big mum then there is no way Koala is big mum. i mean how many years its been passed when Fisher Tiger rescued all slaves. when honcock and her sisters were captured that time she was 12 years old. after four years fisher tiger rescued everyone. that time hancock was 16 years old and Koala seems to be much younger than her. (probably 7/8 years old) that means big mum is nearly 23/24 right now. then she's quite young and also her body structure seems quite different in yonko's preview. i wonder if that small girl grew up like that in just 15 years.
Han-yuuJun 4, 2011 8:28 AM
Jun 4, 2011 1:45 PM
May 2010
I think Koala is Jewelry Bonney, rather than big mum.

After reading chapter 590 with that "I have my nakama" part I can't see anyone new joining the crew, but Jimbe would be the most possible candidate if that happend. However it would be nice if they took in Surume ;)

And human sent by tenryuubito killing Otohime is more logical than Hordy doing so.

Will fishmen go to Sabaody if Luffy really destroys island in the end ?
Jun 4, 2011 2:54 PM

Apr 2009
Tsuki-Hime said:
i wonder if that small girl grew up like that in just 15 years.

nope, good theory, though not valid..

still its interesting if Koala was just a side character or will appear later
Jun 4, 2011 5:24 PM

Jul 2010
smokes said:
Tsuki-Hime said:
i wonder if that small girl grew up like that in just 15 years.

nope, good theory, though not valid..

Well, it is, unless one of the yonko is around 25 years old. i have a feeling, nobody in yonko is that young.

smokes said:
still its interesting if Koala was just a side character or will appear later

Yeah, i think she was.
she's not big mum neither jewelery bonney. she was required for fisher tiger death. characters like that we have seen in almost every arc. it will be really surprise for me if any of theory become true and she is big mum or some renown pirate.
Jun 4, 2011 8:56 PM

Aug 2008
Just goes to show that it only takes one a-hole to f*ck everything up. I didn't mind the flashback, but it is nice to see some of the Strawhats again. There's still so much ground to cover.
Jun 5, 2011 3:53 PM

Jun 2011
Luffy and I both fell asleep during the series of flashback chapters, but at least it's done and now we might see some fighting...or at least a jet pistol or two
Aug 29, 2012 5:00 PM

Oct 2011
A normal human shot her...good

All this flashback about not hating and all and Nami is still full of hate and shit..are you kidding me, what's the point :/

Hope hody is a good villain for a change
3/5
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 2, 2013 5:29 PM

Aug 2012
Haha, love Luffy's lack of fuck about backstories. Anyway, even though most people seem to be detesting this flashback, I honestly think it's been the strongest part of the arc by far (particularly the Fisher Tiger portion). Wasn't really that long either but regardless, I too am happy to be back to current events. Oh, and Nami was also great in this chapter. Perfect reason why she's probably my third favorite member of the Straw Hat crew and One Piece.
Aug 23, 2014 9:14 AM
Oct 2011
x5exotic said:
A normal human shot her...good

All this flashback about not hating and all and Nami is still full of hate and shit..are you kidding me, what's the point :/

Hope hody is a good villain for a change
3/5
She hates ARLONG but not ALL Fishman. While she can't let go of what he did to her at the same time she doe NOT transfer her hate onto others who don't deserve it just because they are the same race. SO, no there WAS a point

Also any one else note the parallels that the Otohime and Tiger Fisher had with Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X respectively.
Dec 28, 2017 6:40 AM

Feb 2013
Luffy didn't listen to the story, lol, he was sleeping.
Nami doesn't blame Jinbe, that's nice.
Mar 1, 2020 4:52 PM
Mar 2019
I mean the flashback being over is great and I think it was a bit long, not sure, didn't feel long I was just enjoying all of it. Otohime and Tiger's deaths hurt and their motives were very nice to see. My friend told me this arc was pretty good because he asked where I was and I'm seeing it, there's still more left though.
Dec 1, 2020 11:14 AM

Jun 2017
I have no negative criticisms about the flashback at all. I thought the story expounded the reaction humans get from the citizens of "Fish-Man Island."

But ever since Luffy arrived there, I have this feeling that things had improved the way they were so hospitable to the Strawhat pirates. Maybe it's got something to do with White Beard.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Oct 22, 2022 12:16 PM

May 2021
No way the human was the one who killed the Queen. Strings being pulled here.

May 15, 5:24 PM

Jun 2009
So I am back on the One Piece Train after a long absence. Really liking this arc so far and especially this flashback was excellent imo. Otohime was a really memorable character and it's cool to see her husband and children carrying forward her dream. Let's see how it plays out.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1116 Discussion

FMmatron - May 28

47 by Charlyhehehe »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 1016 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Mei-o_Scarlett - Jun 10, 2021

68 by Charlyhehehe »»
6 hours ago

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 60 Discussion

VARIAchan - Jul 8, 2010

16 by Dumb »»
Today, 1:26 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 59 Discussion

VARIAchan - Jul 8, 2010

14 by Dumb »»
Today, 1:22 AM

Poll: » One Piece Chapter 58 Discussion

VARIAchan - Jul 8, 2010

19 by Dumb »»
Today, 1:19 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.