Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 12, 2011 9:42 PM
Dec 2007
cleo said:
darkerealm said:
For some reason, I wrinkled my nose when Chiba mentioned surgery. That's not cool.
It's all fine and dandy when you have an identity crisis at a tender age. Not so great when you're a grown-up.

I disagree.
She's in love with the guy, so it's natural she wants to understand him.
There's a difference between a guy who just likes to crossdress, or a guy who feels like he's a girl trapped in the wrong body.
Up to now she's fine with him crossdressing and thinks he looks cute that way.
But if he's seriously considering surgery, it becomes a different story.
So yeah, I can see why knowing his thoughts about that are important for her.
Indeed. Basically she was prodding, trying to see how serious he is in this. After all, if he feels he's a woman then he will have to act against his own body and that does mean surgery.

As for my take in this triangle, I can't symphatize with Takatsuki here. Both Chiba and Nitori have been open about their feelings yet Takatsuki rejected Nitori while at the same time constantly giving him a false sense of hope. I'm not saying she's doing it on purpose but just how the closeness of their friendship and the ambiguous reason of her refusal are enough to keep a spark of hope in his heart. To tell the truth, regardless of how nasty Chiba's reactions are, if things were just she'd be the one who gets Nitori. Too bad love is not so simple.

Feb 17, 2011 8:44 AM

Nov 2009
Rhypo-oniichan said:
Oooh the drama! It's really more interesting than I expected it to be .

Hooray, I feel less akward while watching this now!

Yup it's interesting to watch but feels awkward at the same time.

The character interaction is also quite complex. Like
what his sisters friend gave to Nitor.
darkzero999Feb 17, 2011 8:57 AM
Mar 29, 2011 12:24 AM

Mar 2009
Really good ep.
Jun 17, 2011 5:23 PM

Sep 2009
Huh.. got a little teary-eyed there with that bathroom stall scene.
Nitori was trying so hard to show his true emotions. Really sweet.
Gosh, this show just gives me a toothache. Love everyone's purity.
Jul 9, 2011 5:00 PM
Apr 2011
I like the concept of this show, it's just... for such a topic, overwhelmingly bright and idealistic. Maybe it's the age? I know that after puberty the topic is a lot more painful to people with that transgender characteristic. I could go on; it's a decent series, but lacks realism, which may not always be necessary in anime, but if it's going to cover a serious topic like this, it should be a little more realistic.

Maybe by bringing a lighter perspective to this topic it would make people more comfortable talking about it? I may be overthinking this, but really; this isn't the kind of topic one goes over lightly unless it's for comedy, and this show isn't really a comedy, either.

Meh. Maybe that's a show I'll find later. This isn't bad per se, just... meh. I'll keep watching it anyways.
HaibaneRenmeiFanJul 9, 2011 5:07 PM
Jan 4, 2012 9:27 AM

May 2009
This has to be the cutest thing ever. I actually like Chiba.

Sometimes I can hear my bones straining under the weight of all the lives I'm not living.

May 27, 2012 4:58 AM
Nov 2011
The last scene was really well done. Finally people are actually talking, instead of avoiding the subject.
Nov 19, 2012 11:31 AM

May 2012
Decent episode the ending was rather nice!
May 11, 2013 4:04 AM

Oct 2011
I do find it a bit unrealistic how all of the friends know about Nitori and Takatsuki and are all OK with it. Still, the confessions from Takatsuki and Chiba were really nice. I actually feel pretty sorry for Chiba now.
Jul 19, 2013 10:13 AM

Dec 2012
aidoru said:
I do find it a bit unrealistic how all of the friends know about Nitori and Takatsuki and are all OK with it. Still, the confessions from Takatsuki and Chiba were really nice. I actually feel pretty sorry for Chiba now.

I'm not sure if this is right, but I read around that the anime starts in a later phase of the manga, so anime only viewers are out of the loop on the back stories. That's the only thing putting me off about this series so far, although if I like this enough I'll probably read the manga to get a better idea of what's going on. Otherwise, I'm enjoying this so far.

And yeah, I feel Chiba is getting the short end of it all.
Aug 15, 2013 11:52 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Chiba kind of scares me because of her straightforwardness, but I guess it just shows how much she likes Nitori. And poor Nitori trying to confess to Takatsuki again, but it kind of just goes over her head. Still, at least he tried :)
May 4, 2014 6:41 AM

Jun 2011
I'm starting to find the story a bit too boring, though I love the plot and how the issue of gender-bending is tackled.

Im still confused about who Takashina visited, how is she related to that couple?
Jun 24, 2014 6:37 AM

Nov 2011
Plot giving that advances in Chiba, the role of goad for the protagonists.
Narrative that moves by jumping between different contexts and keeping the focus on all the characters, not bad.
Just a shame that it is not with eleven episodes will have time to talk in depth of all the secondary characters.
Technical and graphics, excellent.
Go to the next! :)
Dec 5, 2015 12:49 PM

Sep 2014
This series is such a surprise for me. The drama is so well handled and thoughtful. Honestly, for teenagers the characters are incredibly mature in how they are handling all this difficult stuff. But at the same time you feel that they are still teenagers. Very great take and I really love the cast and their dynamics.

Kanade-chan said:
Saori-chan confessed to Nitorin ^^

That wasn't a confession. She just answered his question, kind of. She confessed to him before episode 1.
Mar 10, 2016 11:59 AM

Jan 2014
Oh. How surprising.
Mar 10, 2016 12:25 PM

Oct 2013
Chiba's prayer in the church was adorable. I feel bad for her; she seems to be the one getting the worst of it. ;-;

Really liked how she directly asked Nitori if he's going to get an "operation." It makes the gender identity crisis seem more real instead of being able to play it off as childish delusions.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Mar 28, 2016 5:23 AM

Jun 2013
Why the heck are they calling that little keychain creepy? It's so fucking cute!

Now we know that Nitori wants to be recognized as girl and wants the boy Takatsuki to love him/her as a girl.

Chiba, I'm still confused with her, I think maybe she thinks Nitori is just going through a phase but she wants to love the boy Nitori as a girl (her being the girl of course).
BibimbapskiMar 28, 2016 5:29 AM
臭い-
Nov 26, 2016 7:51 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Zadion said:
Chiba's prayer in the church was adorable.
I don't know if I would call it 'adorable', but I do think it was awesome.
Feb 16, 2019 6:52 PM

Jun 2015
i dont know how to feel about chiba. on one hand i can feel sorry for her, but on the other hand.. not really.
Apr 10, 2020 3:23 PM

Jan 2010
That was a pretty powerful episode with some sharp questions from Saori. The relationships are getting more and more complicated as the details of Shuuichi's and Yoshino's wants and desires are being confronted. There are no easy answers to any of the characters' problems that'll leave everyone satisfied, and I'm glad that these issues are being left ambiguous.
Aug 8, 2020 9:26 AM

Nov 2011
I couldn't agree more with the first post, this anime is really really good.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jul 15, 2021 4:39 AM

Mar 2016
i think this strap is absolutely adorable
Apr 6, 2022 6:36 PM

Jun 2014
Chiba really won't take no for an answer, will she? She thinks that she owns Nitori, and can somehow convince her to not transition, and be with her.

Chiba is fighting a losing battle.

May 20, 2023 9:43 PM
May 2023
tbh Chiba is right because 6 people is too many to write one script 
Jun 16, 9:23 PM
Sep 2016
Gotta say it's hard to tell who's doing what sometimes. The artstyle is super cute but they do look similar. When the 2 protags were out on their date i could tell who was who lol but otherwise same haircut during the day. Need more context clues a lot of the time.

other than that complaint my heart goes out to these sweet trans kids. They're trying their best.
Jul 20, 4:49 AM

Feb 2015
Rewatching it after 6 years. I didn't remember it being so well crafted, on top of having genuine funny moments. Impressed.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

HawthorneKitty - Jan 20, 2011

89 by aliwhytho »»
Sep 24, 6:24 PM

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Samu-tan - Mar 31, 2011

135 by AkiFosu »»
Jul 24, 8:36 AM

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Jan 13, 2011

261 by C1922 »»
Jun 10, 11:06 AM

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Aversa - Mar 10, 2011

61 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 1, 8:02 PM

Poll: » Hourou Musuko Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yumekichi11 - Feb 17, 2011

56 by Jonas-K »»
Apr 1, 9:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.