Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Ghost in the Shell
Available on Manga Store
New
May 25, 7:10 AM

Jan 2009
maybe its a faithful anime adaptation of the manga this time?
May 25, 7:38 AM

Jun 2011
Looks like it's going to be in 2D.
May 25, 7:45 AM
May 25, 7:59 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
@Old_School_Akira They're all pending approval as you can see at the top. This means they're user-submitted pages and will be removed by a moderator in time. 👍

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
May 25, 8:17 AM

Oct 2017
As long as it's more great stuff I don't care.
May 25, 8:28 AM
May 2009
Please no Kuvshinov this time.
May 25, 8:36 AM

Nov 2015
Reply to Taosu
Please no Kuvshinov this time.
@Taosu why? You hate his character designs?
HACKs! 🤢🤮
May 25, 8:51 AM

Aug 2014
What is this? A remake of ghost in the shell?
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
May 25, 8:59 AM

Jul 2023
Reply to RPWPA
What is this? A remake of ghost in the shell?
@RPWPA while we dont know for sure yet, the choice to announce it using manga panels suggests it will be a direct adaptation of the manga and not a remake of the 1995 film
May 25, 9:01 AM

Jul 2023
Hopefully it will be 100% faithful even down to the atmosphere and tone, the somewhat goofy Motoko from the manga is my favourite version of the character and i'd love to see her animated
May 25, 9:05 AM
Jan 2018
Wonder if they will censor or remove a certain scene
May 25, 9:06 AM

May 2010
Science Saru lmfao. Well we know all the elitists will give this (minimum) 8/10, if not higher. @Andocommando here's some fap material for you

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
May 25, 10:49 AM

Jun 2012
Reply to Mattinator95
Wonder if they will censor or remove a certain scene
@Mattinator95
It's Science SARU, and while idk if Yuasa himself will direct this, I think there's a very real possibility they won't censor it.
May 25, 11:18 AM

Dec 2012
Only gripe is 2026
May 25, 11:26 AM

Aug 2018
That's quite some time to wait.
May 25, 1:21 PM

Jul 2016
science saru, i have high expectations
May 25, 2:25 PM

Dec 2019
i have high expectations
May 25, 3:20 PM

Jan 2021
I'm still weirded out that Saru is the studio instead of I.G. Also, Saru has a history with overloading their employee, another reason I'd prefer I.G over them anytime.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/artist-rights/former-science-saru-animator-studios-workload-led-to-horror-stories-207324.html
May 25, 3:37 PM

Aug 2011
Reply to fudish123
I'm still weirded out that Saru is the studio instead of I.G. Also, Saru has a history with overloading their employee, another reason I'd prefer I.G over them anytime.

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/artist-rights/former-science-saru-animator-studios-workload-led-to-horror-stories-207324.html
@fudish123 IG is producing this though. I think they're working together.
May 25, 4:27 PM
Dec 2022
2 year wait AHHHHHHHHHHHHH
May 25, 4:41 PM

Oct 2013
If done right, it will be kino. Heck, I will be surprised if it won't be done right. Just look at it this way: new 2D GitS anime, adapting the original manga, done by Science SARU that has been recently acquired by TOHO. What can go wrong?
May 25, 10:29 PM
Oct 2011
Reply to Johan
Science Saru lmfao. Well we know all the elitists will give this (minimum) 8/10, if not higher. @Andocommando here's some fap material for you
@Johan That's what happens when 90% of the industry output is brain-dead happy-go-lucky shounen crap that is more derivative than an AI-generated story derived from an AI-generated prompt.
May 25, 10:33 PM
Feb 2021
Johan said:

I’m not a big fan of Yuasa, but Ghost in the Shell is peak fiction, so…
May 25, 10:33 PM

Aug 2011
It's kinda crazy after all this time they NEVER probably adapted shirow masamune GITS.
May 25, 11:48 PM

May 2010
Reply to drakenation
@Johan That's what happens when 90% of the industry output is brain-dead happy-go-lucky shounen crap that is more derivative than an AI-generated story derived from an AI-generated prompt.
@drakenation very sane and rational comment

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
May 26, 12:00 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to Talgikiwi
@fudish123 IG is producing this though. I think they're working together.
@Talgikiwi But the studio is still Saru. I.G is taking the role of producer and based on the article, Saru does not take their anime lightly, they're always big productions, but they don't have the necessary staff to do so healthy (and that's to blame the industry as a whole which pays dimes to most studios), so yeah, let us pray this won't go into a production chaos. At least, if they adapt the manga faithfully, it'll probably struggle to reach 24 episodes, so nightmare is "over".
May 26, 12:01 AM
Oct 2011
Reply to Johan
@drakenation very sane and rational comment
@Johan Thank you. I strive to only make comments that are peer-reviewed and published in scientific journals, and it seems my highest-of-standards are paying off.
May 26, 1:31 AM

Aug 2013
It will be a generic conveyor-tier trash. Only original GITS movie from 1995 was great, both GITS seasons were pretty weak and naive, even second GITS movie from 2004 was much weaker, it was just slightly good. After 'remake' seasons and two attempts for a cash grab with 'remaster' of original GITS and passable at best Hollywood movie there is no any hope.
May 26, 6:18 AM

Dec 2008
So another remake? Perhaps retconning things again, in the "great" tradition of comic books and movie and film adaptations? Funny how we are still catching up to the time periods of so much "sci fi/sci possible" in real life. Still a handful of years off from GHosts 2029 and the 2030s of 1st and 2nd gig, but as long as I can have robo limbs and retire while plugged into an adult fantasy dark mmorpg, so be it! lol ^<^
May 26, 9:13 AM

Dec 2012
Hoping its something similar to stand alone complex.
May 26, 10:44 AM

Feb 2017
I don't have much in terms of expectations since we still have no info on who will be helming this, but it's Saru so I am sure it will at least look miles better than Sola's crap. Though I am very interested in seeing the manga adapted faithfully for the first time.
May 26, 12:10 PM
Nov 2017
I mean, I see it this way personally: they've announced it at least a year and a half (probably longer) before they plan to release it, they're using the manga art for promotional material which means there is a good chance they will stick to that style for the anime (and possibly story-wise too), and it's by Science Saru, who to me seem like a great studio for both the art style and tone of the manga.

Those all sound like great things to me, as a big fan of the manga. That's not to say I don't like the Oshii films or the first 2 seasons of SAC either, I love both of those just as much. It's possible that I'm being too optimistic, but there are multiple pretty solid positives about it already imo. Still, we'll just have to wait and see.
May 26, 2:24 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to Lawgun
It will be a generic conveyor-tier trash. Only original GITS movie from 1995 was great, both GITS seasons were pretty weak and naive, even second GITS movie from 2004 was much weaker, it was just slightly good. After 'remake' seasons and two attempts for a cash grab with 'remaster' of original GITS and passable at best Hollywood movie there is no any hope.
@Lawgun You're either trolling or full of crap, maybe even both. Calling Saru generic is a stretch way beyond reality and shows how you've never read the manga.
May 26, 2:26 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to BigBossQb
Hoping its something similar to stand alone complex.
@BigBossQb It won't. It'll be something similar, I hope, to the ps1 games FMV. All GITS anime were edgy and overly serious, which is NOT how the manga is. I really suggest you to read it before getting disappointed.
May 26, 10:51 PM

Mar 2021
Well, I don't think it will be a hit...the PS1 game animation was good, so if it was an anime adaptation at that level, I'd probably watch it every week.

May 27, 12:44 AM

Jul 2009
Not a fan of SARU, I dislike the unshaded, blob-like quality of their animation. And Yuasa loves making things more pretentious than they have to be.
I'll probably skip this one.
May 27, 12:57 PM
Mar 2011
2026 wtf? we dont have quarentee for even tomorrow! this dickheads saying we will air in 2026!
May 27, 11:45 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to AnchientProphet2
So another remake? Perhaps retconning things again, in the "great" tradition of comic books and movie and film adaptations? Funny how we are still catching up to the time periods of so much "sci fi/sci possible" in real life. Still a handful of years off from GHosts 2029 and the 2030s of 1st and 2nd gig, but as long as I can have robo limbs and retire while plugged into an adult fantasy dark mmorpg, so be it! lol ^<^
@AnchientProphet2 Judging by the teaser trailer and KV, it'll be a faithful adaptation rather than retconning SAC again like Arise and SAC 2045 did.
May 28, 10:38 AM
Oct 2006
Today I learned GitS is based on a manga. Who knew.
May 28, 1:02 PM

Aug 2013
Reply to fudish123
@Lawgun You're either trolling or full of crap, maybe even both. Calling Saru generic is a stretch way beyond reality and shows how you've never read the manga.
They made one 'outstanding' trash anime - Devilman: Crybaby and a very few of some so-so niche anime when all of the rest are really generic so I don't know what about you talking with your unhealthy delusions. And I don't see how quality of manga is related to the quality of anime which could become literally anything. I didn't even check on which studio exactly decided to fail measurably in making 'remake' of GITS since it's about TIMES which have changed but now when you remind me about Saru I am certain that it will be unbelievable trash since this studio has it in its nature.
May 28, 1:11 PM

Jan 2009
reminder that yuasa is no longer with science saru https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/fsz1h7/news_masaaki_yuasa_resigns_from_president_of/

so all those simple character designs from yuasa is no longer with science saru in the future

science saru is making dandadan anime too anyway
May 29, 1:37 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to Lawgun
They made one 'outstanding' trash anime - Devilman: Crybaby and a very few of some so-so niche anime when all of the rest are really generic so I don't know what about you talking with your unhealthy delusions. And I don't see how quality of manga is related to the quality of anime which could become literally anything. I didn't even check on which studio exactly decided to fail measurably in making 'remake' of GITS since it's about TIMES which have changed but now when you remind me about Saru I am certain that it will be unbelievable trash since this studio has it in its nature.
@Lawgun Your value judgement is your own. The studio makes top tier anime, whether you like them or not, and I'm not a fan of their style, but I know a good studio when I see one. I have no "Unhealthy delusions". About the manga, both the teaser and KV heavily hints on this anime being faithful to the manga. It's not a "remake" since GITS was never actually properly adapted. Mamoru created something of his own, and so did SAC. Saru doesn"t make "unbelievable trash", that's GEMBA and Deen.
fudish123May 29, 3:03 PM
May 29, 2:02 PM

Dec 2008
Reply to fudish123
@AnchientProphet2 Judging by the teaser trailer and KV, it'll be a faithful adaptation rather than retconning SAC again like Arise and SAC 2045 did.
@fudish123 Hmmm well, good. It should at least bring the franchise back into the public mindframe and make it relevant again. Whom knows, if its successful, we might finally get something else actually new and great from GiTS too down the line. Good stuff. ^<^
Jun 4, 10:46 AM

Sep 2016
Just noticed this is a thing, decently hyped already.

Hopefully it's gonna be more like the original movie and focus on philosophical themes.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jun 8, 2:59 AM

May 2019
I hope it's faithful and accurate to the manga.
Jul 6, 8:45 PM

Jan 2013
Hoping it's 2D and animated like the cutscenes of that ps1 game, expecting a fusion of Arise and sac 2045.
Jul 27, 10:56 AM
Feb 2012
Reply to Airs
Only gripe is 2026
@Airs Upside is... We don't have to wait 2+ years for a release timeframe.

Aug 29, 5:16 AM

Apr 2011
I have high expectations for this, it seems like its going to be a big budget faithful adaptation of the manga. Theres been so much success with adaptations of GitS, but never a faithful adaptation of the manga. They all implemented their own ideas and style different from the source material. With how culturally significant GitS has become over the years this is well deserved, and hope they dont skimp or cut corners. Sure wish they didnt announce these so early though, hope its at least early 2026 but im sure it all depends on how production goes.

Im definitely in agreement with the people hoping it ends up looking similar to the ps1 games cutscenes which were the most faithful to the manga. Might end up replacing the 96’ film on my favorites if they pull it off.

More topics from this board

» i assume from the pictures and art that this is gonna be directly based on the manga?

Neostorm_Y - Aug 20

25 by anizawa89 »»
Sep 3, 5:10 AM

» The big return of the Ghost in the Shell?

Osamunau - May 26

27 by JCDenton1989 »»
Jul 28, 9:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.