Forum Settings
Forums

What anime awoken something in you or made you fascinated with a particular genre?

New
May 16, 2:47 PM

May 2016
For me the original Macross, Nana, and Rumbling Hearts made me very interested in Love Polygons. Something about seeing a character's heart being pulled in two different directions while struggling with the possible guilt of hurting either love interest is just so humanly fascinating to me. The drama that ensues from seeing them have to make an almost impossible decision is oh so intriguing.

Also Bakemonogatari, Kiss x Sis, and probably Oreimo as well awoken my interest in incest anime. I can't really explain why I enjoy it. I guess because it's taboo? I don't know, but that toothbrush scene in Monogatari and some of those kissing scenes in Kiss x Sis did something to teen me.
May 16, 2:52 PM

Jul 2013
Probably Senran Kagura because it made me interested in sexy,female anime ninja girls...
May 16, 2:53 PM

Jul 2021
Domestic Girlfriend broke something in me...
JaniSIrMay 16, 2:58 PM
May 16, 3:05 PM

May 2016
Reply to JaniSIr
Domestic Girlfriend broke something in me...
@JaniSIr Was it your sanity that was broken?
May 16, 3:05 PM

May 2019
Queen's Blade and Bikini Warriors have awoken my love and fascination with bikini armors and erotic skimpy outfits like bdsm suits and belly dancer's attire.

May 16, 3:07 PM

Jul 2022
The first harem anime I ever watched was Quintessential Quintuplets, and now I can't get enough of them.

Even the bad ones (insert joke about them all being bad here) give you plenty to argue about and discuss with other viewers, which is 90% of the fun for me in watching anime in the first place.
May 16, 3:11 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Reshiram_IX
@JaniSIr Was it your sanity that was broken?
@Reshiram_IX Well, I basically ended up reading smut for the plot. So you could say yes.
May 16, 3:16 PM

May 2016
Reply to alexw1020
The first harem anime I ever watched was Quintessential Quintuplets, and now I can't get enough of them.

Even the bad ones (insert joke about them all being bad here) give you plenty to argue about and discuss with other viewers, which is 90% of the fun for me in watching anime in the first place.
@alexw1020 People love to hate on Harem shows but there are some really good ones. Even the divisive ones are enjoyable
May 16, 3:18 PM

May 2016
Reply to JaniSIr
@Reshiram_IX Well, I basically ended up reading smut for the plot. So you could say yes.
@JaniSIr Ahaha. Well as long as you found it enjoyable. I still need to finish reading it.
May 16, 3:21 PM

Jul 2013
I enjoyed the Queen's Blade anime very much...
May 16, 3:41 PM

May 2016
Reply to DesuMaiden
I enjoyed the Queen's Blade anime very much...
@DesuMaiden Hmm. I guess I should check out Queen’s Blade then
May 16, 4:02 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Reshiram_IX
@JaniSIr Ahaha. Well as long as you found it enjoyable. I still need to finish reading it.
@Reshiram_IX I read DomeKano in a week. Turns out I picked one of the longest mangas ever for my first... And I was working full time too.
May 16, 4:10 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to Reshiram_IX
@DesuMaiden Hmm. I guess I should check out Queen’s Blade then
@Reshiram_IX where are you gonna find it btw??
May 16, 5:37 PM

Sep 2016
https://myanimelist.net/anime/54722/Mahou_Shoujo_ni_Akogarete

awoke my sleeping yuri passion.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
May 16, 5:39 PM

Dec 2021
Kyou kara Ore wa!! made me love delinquent anime. I still consider it a must-watch for anybody who likes delinquent anime. People who liked Great Teacher Onizuka might enjoy that aspect of it.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 16, 6:38 PM
Aug 2018
The Garden of Words. Feet fetish awakened.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/16782/Kotonoha_no_Niwa
May 16, 6:48 PM

May 2016
Reply to DesuMaiden
@Reshiram_IX where are you gonna find it btw??
@DesuMaiden Is it available to watch anywhere?
May 16, 6:48 PM

Feb 2016
Foreign visitors to Japan often find it difficult to understand why Japanese people like comics so much. . . . One explanation for the popularity of comics in Japan, however, is that Japan had Tezuka Osamu, whereas other nations did not.

From an Asahi Shinbun column "Tetsuwan Atom no Message," translation by Frederik Schodt.
その目だれの目?
May 17, 5:27 AM

Mar 2023
Discode awoke my love for chicks with dicks.
May 17, 5:31 AM

Feb 2020
Hidamari Sketch / K-On! = CGDCT
Love Live! = Idol
Tropical-Rouge! Pretty Cure = Mahou Shoujo
Strike Witches = Ecchi
May 17, 5:43 AM

Apr 2024
probably K-on!
that made me re-watch for so many times.
May 17, 5:46 PM
Jun 2021
Transformers Galaxy Force was it when it comes to mecha. This was some 20 or so years ago, back when I was still a kid. Thanks to Transformers and the TFwiki I found out about the Yuusha franchise and GaoGaiGar, the rest was history.
Hot Blood saves lives.
May 17, 6:45 PM

Jul 2013
Reply to Reshiram_IX
@DesuMaiden Is it available to watch anywhere?
@Reshiram_IX i cannot link you those sites...for obvious reasons...maybe you can find it on torrenting sites??
May 18, 12:03 AM
May 18, 12:10 AM

Dec 2021
Reply to ST63LTH
Douluo Dalu and Yao Shen Ji awoken my favoritism to CGI chinese anime. They get so bingeworthy
@ST63LTH I've only watched one CGI donghua so far (Zanting! Rang Wo Cha Gonglue), so I guess I might as well add those to my queue. Just judging from the cover images for both on MAL, I think I might really enjoy them! I like how they're doing their own thing with the style, rather than just doing the usual "It's the generic anime artstyle, but 3D!!!1!1".
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.
May 18, 1:05 AM

May 2015
One Outs was a deep dive into the world of Sports anime. Also, Shokugeki no Souma got me interested in exploring more of the Gourmet genre.
May 18, 1:38 AM

Jan 2022
Isekai awakens something in me sometimes because i'm a loser nobody who wants to go to a fantasy world become a famous hero and get lots of slave wives with ease, because i need to be compensated for my current shitty life in this hell world. Although isekai doesn't make me feel good anymore because I've watched so much of it before and i find it all generic now.
May 18, 1:42 AM

Mar 2021
Reshiram_IX said:
What anime awoken something in you or made you fascinated with a particular genre?

The 1st time I saw "Agent AIKa" in the late 90s made me reminisce about the times when my parents took me with them on missionary work in Japan in the 80s when I would often watch tokusatsu (live action) TV like "Space Sheriff Shaider" as a kid simply because I was bored and had nothing else to do. I also lived there for a short time period but not long enough for my family to be considered permanent residents. Anyways there was this actress named Naomi Morinaga who played a character in "Space Sheriff Shaider" named Annie who went around wearing a costume with a very short skirt and often times would do action scene without caring how often the viewers would get to see her panties (like it was in almost every episode I got to see gratuitous camera angles where she would be flashing her panties). But "Agent AIka" took this type of fanservice to an absurd level beyond obnoxious to the point it was just simply comical. This was the 1st time I saw an actual Ecchi Anime not even realizing at the time what I was actually watching was an Ecchi Anime. Much like how I use to watch plenty of Hentai titles before Hentai was even coined in the west in the very early 90s (Most Hentai was simply just normal Anime with nudity and mild sex scenes but actually included an actual story that didn't always revolve around sex). "Agent AIka" was truly the 1st Ecchi title I ever watched and the 1st Ecchi Anime that actually made me want to watch more Ecchi Anime like it as well.
ColourWheelMay 18, 1:46 AM
May 18, 1:44 AM

Dec 2021
Yorimoi made me interested in CGDCT

Girls' Last Tour made me interested in Post-apocalyptic Slice of Life

"𝑰𝒇 𝒂𝒏𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈, 𝑰 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆 𝒔𝒐𝒎𝒆𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒘𝒉𝒐 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘𝒔 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒔𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕𝒔 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒆, 𝒐𝒓 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘𝒔 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒔𝒉𝒆 𝒍𝒊𝒌𝒆𝒔, 𝑰 𝒈𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒔?"
» [JELEE] «
0:00 〇────── 4:47
↺ |◁ II ▷| ♡

May 18, 3:09 AM

Nov 2023
Main genres: "Oshi no Ko"- Idols

Sub genres:

Made in Abyss- Bait and switch, journey about going deep into a rabbit hole, journeys about finding something.

Girls' Last Tour - Liminal space girls, ishevekai

Eizouken- Behind the scenes of an industry

May 18, 11:46 AM

May 2016
Reply to ColourWheel
Reshiram_IX said:

The 1st time I saw "Agent AIKa" in the late 90s made me reminisce about the times when my parents took me with them on missionary work in Japan in the 80s when I would often watch tokusatsu (live action) TV like "Space Sheriff Shaider" as a kid simply because I was bored and had nothing else to do. I also lived there for a short time period but not long enough for my family to be considered permanent residents. Anyways there was this actress named Naomi Morinaga who played a character in "Space Sheriff Shaider" named Annie who went around wearing a costume with a very short skirt and often times would do action scene without caring how often the viewers would get to see her panties (like it was in almost every episode I got to see gratuitous camera angles where she would be flashing her panties). But "Agent AIka" took this type of fanservice to an absurd level beyond obnoxious to the point it was just simply comical. This was the 1st time I saw an actual Ecchi Anime not even realizing at the time what I was actually watching was an Ecchi Anime. Much like how I use to watch plenty of Hentai titles before Hentai was even coined in the west in the very early 90s (Most Hentai was simply just normal Anime with nudity and mild sex scenes but actually included an actual story that didn't always revolve around sex). "Agent AIka" was truly the 1st Ecchi title I ever watched and the 1st Ecchi Anime that actually made me want to watch more Ecchi Anime like it as well.
@ColourWheel That’s very interesting story. Is there like a term/genre for shows like Space Sheriff Shaider?
May 18, 12:36 PM

May 2021
citrus helped me discover yuri, and the disastrous life of Saiki K made me realise I actually found comedy anime very enjoyable when I’d always been told it was super unfunny
May 18, 1:29 PM

Mar 2021
Reply to Reshiram_IX
@ColourWheel That’s very interesting story. Is there like a term/genre for shows like Space Sheriff Shaider?
Reshiram_IX said:

Just Tokusatsu TV. Meaning like special filming or entertainment that uses special effects. More commonly known in the West as just live action TV. It was basically just tokusatsu superhero TV. much like what people know in the West such as the westernized "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers", where there is a use of martial arts and Mechas and they fight monsters and other worldly beings. There is a whole slew of TV series in Japan that revolved around these type of themes from "B-Fighter Kabuto" to "Space Sheriff Gavan". In much of them, there was always a token young female character mixed with a bunch of young male characters where often times the female would always be wearing a costume that would always include a very short skirt. So whenever action scenes were filmed there was just simply no regard of caring about the audience seeing their panties every time there was high kicking action. This was just normal entertainment for young kids to watch in Japan at the time.

If "Space Sheriff Shaider" was made into an Anime today and was animated the way it was filmed back in the 80s, it would likely fall under Ecchi in the West simply because Annie shows off her panties so much in action scenes. Like literally almost every episode I remember watching back then.
ColourWheelMay 18, 2:21 PM
May 18, 1:39 PM

Aug 2013

So yeah in conclusion anime reassured me what I already knew since birth -> I'm as straight as a bullet.

I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

STEAM's GOTY 2024 the Ghost of Tsushima
May 18, 1:53 PM

Apr 2024
Made in Abyss motivated me to start watching anime.

Madoka Magica broke my heart. Black★Rock Shooter (TV) repaired it.
Black★Rock Shooter (TV) is beyond its time arthouse fantasy/psychological drama/psychological horror/action. Should you watch it? See my review.

May 18, 2:13 PM

May 2021
Jujutsu Kaisen which made me realize how fucking cool anime can be. Hadn't felt this way since elementary school.
Baki made me understand the concept of "the strongest" and potential of men i guess.
May 18, 2:13 PM

Nov 2018
After watching Fist of the North Star, it really got me yearning for shows with martial art fighting. I usually enjoy romcoms, scifi and military genre, so it was nice to see something new for a change.

May 18, 5:40 PM

Jun 2023
Strawberry Panic! got me into yuri when I was a teen. I honestly haven't seen a lot of yuri/shōjo-ai, but it's what started my fondness for it.

Tenchi Muyo! got me into harem before I even knew what it was. They're usually hit-or-miss, but there really are some good ones.

May 18, 6:05 PM

Jul 2013
I got fascinated with Vocaloids by looking at videos of Hatsune Miku online...on Youtube, of course...
May 18, 6:18 PM

Oct 2014
For me anime was just a one or two shows a year kinda thing before stumbling onto Girls & Panzer (almost 10 years ago now). First CGDCT & also first subbed anime. That opened the floodgates.

Fast forward a few years and it was getting routine until I fired up:

Maria-sama ga Miteru.

The story-telling, emotions and deep character lineup (with top voice actors to go along with it) was head and shoulders above anything I'd seen up to that point. After this watershed anime event yuri ruled my viewing/reading for a solid couple years (and it's still the only thing I'll go to manga for).

Marimite AMV

Avatar: Anzu Kadotani from Girls und Panzer.

May 18, 6:35 PM

Jul 2013
Probably Hyperdimension Neptunia made me interested in moe/cute anime girls hehehehehehe...
May 18, 6:40 PM

Aug 2010
Clannad, Wolf Children = story focusing on family
May 18, 6:46 PM

Sep 2023
A Place Further Than The Universe and Laid-Back Camp really awakened and enhanced the wanderlust feeling in me.

Be safe and well travels,
Chris
May 18, 6:48 PM

Mar 2008
Ryza no Atelier awakened my need for more girls with nice thighs and slow paced adventures.

DesuMaiden said:
I got fascinated with Vocaloids by looking at videos of Hatsune Miku online...on Youtube, of course...

There is way more vocal synths than just Vocaloid these days, though same community. But that's a little off topic a bit.
May 18, 9:18 PM
Oct 2023
When I first started reading manga and watching anime I was against watching any gay shit. Basically feeling that if it wasn't a man and a women then the romance genre would not interest me. I eventually relented and had to have a long talk with myself and basically realized I was just trying to avoid the obvious. So I think watching BLs made me realize I was in fact bisexual and trying to avoid it.
May 19, 7:05 AM

Feb 2021
One Punch Man got me into anime

Violet Evergarden made me more reflective on life in general.

Girls und Panzer got me into CGDCT anime. Since I'm a fan of WW2 history and Military themes, it got me interested.

The Perfect Duo - has one who thinks and one who do's.
To have a party, there's at least two 

When the world is dark, and you feel near to end.
Just remember there's hope, in the form of a friend.

May 19, 10:50 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to traed
Ryza no Atelier awakened my need for more girls with nice thighs and slow paced adventures.

DesuMaiden said:

There is way more vocal synths than just Vocaloid these days, though same community. But that's a little off topic a bit.
@traed i only pay attention to Vocaloids though...

More topics from this board

» Favorite word

JoeChip - 55 minutes ago

9 by CutieAnshin »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you agree that One Piece being the top 1 currently airing anime suggests this Spring is weak?

18927 - 1 hour ago

8 by The_Keyman-1 »»
10 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 )

Anjuro - Jun 3

89 by Fyk0 »»
17 minutes ago

» A character who is impossible to love?

torsan88 - 5 hours ago

18 by oappo »»
17 minutes ago

» Do you unironically think that hentai can be art?

Spunkert - Mar 11

45 by DesuMaiden »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.