Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 11, 2023 10:27 AM

Nov 2011
Truthly, the skills of Ai is remarkable in this show, even in areas of craft such as smithing.

I do like how this anime explores old school professions rather than focusing on advanced technology, although the Ai themselves represents that. The school cleaning segments were also amusing. 
Aug 11, 2023 11:42 AM
Sep 2015
For the first part there are multiple angles that can be looked at.
The first interpretation is the simplest one, using robot/AI to replace human's job. No need to give any example.
The second interpreation is more sophiscated, using AI to preserve human's personality, some real world examples are these news: people are recreating deceased loved ones with AI and Son races deceased father's ghost in Xbox racer, makes internet cry Fortunately that craftsman doesn't die yet in this story (but he will eventually, someday...)
The third interpretation is likely the correct one, teaching AI to surpass human so that human can learn from AI, likely inspired by board game AI, like Go, Chess, etc.

I don't find any "moral of the story" from part two, but it just shows the behavior of deep learning AI, it can do many advance things beyond human but also failed at some basic tasks that human have no problem with, of course if it can improve itself by keep training. I'm not sure which industry Perm-kun will be deployed, maybe it's for general use, judging from the need for Perm-kun to have high flexibility and adaptability.
Aug 11, 2023 1:19 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
The first half involving the learner robot and the craftsman is something that Japan could implement in the near future in an effort to preserve their skilled professions among the ageing population. Perm-kun in the second was there to learn and adapt to school life.
Aug 11, 2023 1:40 PM

Feb 2019
Another relevant and thought provoking episode of Ai no Idenshi. This time about AI and machine learning. It really feels like this show came out at the perfect time in history.

The first half with learner-kun and the knife maker apprenticeship was really interesting. If you look anywhere in the news you’ll see concerns about AI replacing manual labour. Having people teach robots their job knowing that they’ll likely replace them one day is cruel, but in some industries like the traditional knife making industry, it may one day be necessary.

The second half with Perm-Kun was also really good. I was Lowkey scared that he was gonna go crazy and hurt one of the kids because he was being bullied in the other schools/grades that his consciousness was connected to.

Thankfully he didn’t and we got a rather happy ending. Perm will never forget those 6 months he spent in that class or the kindness they showed to him.

I don’t think we’re near the point of having robots attend school with kids, but still a really good episode that shows a very positive relationship between AI and people. I think both sets of people, the students and the knife maker were exceptionally kind.

Most people probably wouldn’t react so positively to being in an environment with a robot like that. Especially the knife maker knowing the end goal is to have robots enter that labour force. I liked how he was more concerned about a friendly completion with learner kun rather than being upset.

TLDR: honestly could go on and on about this episode and show for a while, should probably just make a video on it 😂 love it.
Aug 11, 2023 1:52 PM
Dec 2020
The first half is really intriguing. "The blacksmith and the robots learn from each other." My interpretation is that robots can simulate human skills with minimal error so the product will be "perfect". It can achieve perfection but not innovation. In the end there needs human creativity to make advance. The old blacksmith has been satisfied with his work for long time and never think of innovation (and thus find the job boring), but the presence of the robot brings competition to him and now he finds the passion to make better knives.
Aug 11, 2023 2:29 PM

Dec 2018
a much happier episode this time; this show continues to be fantastic.
Aug 11, 2023 2:40 PM
May 2020
I hope we are all digging this wonderful series. I am so onboard with the anthology approach through Hikeru's focus.

Aug 11, 2023 3:48 PM

Sep 2018
A show that keeps on getting better and better with every episode.

This is one of the best episodic anime I've seen in some time, I was a little skeptical in the beginning, but the interesting self contained little stories with the overarching narrative, makes for a good watch.
GakutoDeathGlareAug 11, 2023 3:54 PM
Aug 11, 2023 3:53 PM
May 2022
Pretty solid series so far for the first half. I hope the main plot and main character play a bigger part in the second half.
Aug 11, 2023 4:55 PM

Sep 2020
The next episode is going a complete reversal of this week's episode, isn't it?
Aug 11, 2023 5:19 PM

Sep 2016
That was a good episode, I like the idea of tradition preservation through Robots
Aug 11, 2023 6:27 PM

Apr 2022
perm boy lowkey creeped me out at first ngl, i thought he was gonna snap at some point, but all is well.
Aug 11, 2023 7:30 PM

Nov 2010
  • This episode consists of chapter 24 and 25 of the source material. The theme of the episode seems "Teaching others teaches yourself". It may be different from the original theme of chapter 25, but it's fine.
  • Actually, it's hard to put skills into words. The most typical examples are "how to swim" and "how to do sakaagari". (I can't find proper common translation for that.)
  • There was a line that passed as if it were nothing special in the 2nd part: "It was the most beautiful moment of all my half years". Although the author may haven't had such an intention, but it's a scary part in a sense. Every man can have only a life in his life, but it doesn't go for AIs. Of course, man can have collective intelligence, but AIs can have collective thinking (and emotion!?) easily.

Aug 11, 2023 11:24 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Both segments were really heartwarming and genuine. I think this is because I expected the humans to react negatively (jealous/dispirited due to a robot being able to emulate the craft so easily, or that the new robot classmate is good at many things/was different), but then we were shown the good side of humanity. The robot in the first segment motivated the knife forger to do better, whereas the children in the second segment were incredibly considerate of the robot and treated him like a real friend. It was simple, yet sent a beautiful message that those who kept an open mind grew as people (quoted from my friend about this episode).
Aug 11, 2023 11:32 PM

Mar 2008
That's an interesting idea to preserve traditional trade methods through robots. I was expecting the old guy to die in this episode but regardless he eventually will and it seems he passed on not only a trade but part of his own personal touch to it so in a way a part of himself especially since the robot even took it upon himself to adopt some of his daily rituals. Seems he had fun getting to find how to improve even after so long working his craft.

Perm was one goofy robot. But seriously why would you make a robot feel pain and fear? It makes sense for sentient humanoid AIs but the robots are more limited so they wouldn't really need that level of awareness to operate properly would they? It just seems cruel. There is a difference between sensing damage and assesing risks than actually feeling pain and fear.
Aug 12, 2023 12:25 AM

Jun 2015
I felt I watched two whole episodes here. The first part was so wholesome who the old man and the robot, especially with the daily exercise scene, then the second part with the school learning robot which had that dark moment where it was linked with other robots in other schools at different grade levels and it wouldn't use the knife any more. Then clutch moment with skipping rope and friends. Darn, those feels were for real.
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Aug 12, 2023 1:01 AM

Jun 2019
I tend to find people who always have this mentality toward everything irritating, and I personally hate falling into this mentality myself, but I do have to say that in the second half I just had this niggling feeling in the back of my mind waiting for it to somehow somewhere take a dark turn. And I'm honestly glad it didn't. Sometimes the absence of a forced surprise is the nicest surprise of all.

It also occurred to me that even if humanoids feel closer to humans (biological humans) than they do robots, and are likewise viewed that way by humans, it's still evident that in a society which accepts and integrates humanoids, elevates them to equal status and confers upon them the right of personhood, it's a reasonable assumption to make that on average, there would be less ingrained intolerance and aversion in a group setting to mixing with out and out robots during a learning trial in the field like this. You can default to saying "Oh, well, they're kids so they would not have learned societal prejudices yet and be inherently more accepting", and in some individual instances that could even be true, but human children can be extremely discriminating, vicious, and exclusionary as they struggle to discover their own identity and define it by what it is not by contrast. And that entails enforced exclusion/avoidance on grounds far less intrinsic than blood vessels vs. electronic circuits. Such as even height, weight, and the clothing they wear.

On the other hand, I can see them being kind to Perm-kun, because there is only one of him (in this school anyway) and while still kind and genuine, he's still seen somewhat more as a novelty, a curiosity, and kind of like a more sophisticated adopted "class pet" than a competitor trying to replace them or act "too" human in a way that would probably rile up some people.

WatchTillTandavaAug 12, 2023 1:17 AM
Aug 12, 2023 1:28 AM
Oct 2019
I really thought this gonna be a sad episode, but it was surprisingly wholesome.

Ngl i really expect the kids to bully the robot immediately.
Aug 12, 2023 5:13 AM

Feb 2012
The first part reminded me of the Sushi story in Kamen Rider Zero-One.

I do like the scientist's line comparing their experiment to writing recording words and video recording vision, if their experiment is successful, then AI can make a record of human movements to accurately preserve crafts like metalworking.

Seems the care robot got bullied at a different school and learning to fear was fed back into the peaceful situation he was in.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Aug 12, 2023 1:39 PM

Jan 2021
Well one of the AI worked at an smithing place and he even worked harder than the man who owned the shop apparently, but the man wants to keep him around.

A kid robot got introduced to the class and at first he was happy to be there and he was a quick learner but overtime his personality began changing because he went from school to school, i guess he got bullied at other schools so he transferred a lot. I'm glad that the 3 other kids wanted to stay friends with him, even if it meant letting him rope jumping for 2000+ times lol. That was a nice farewell as well.
Aug 12, 2023 2:16 PM
Nov 2022
This episode was focused on learning technology which is not very different from the way of training current AI's.

I found it very interesting, this could easily be a reality in the medium term._.
Aug 13, 2023 12:25 AM

Jun 2021
I see robots are learning as well. Of course faster than a human could acquire.
Aug 13, 2023 8:23 PM

Oct 2022
Makes you think experiences shape what some people call a soul/individuality/consciousness regardless organic or artificial means.

Aug 14, 2023 10:53 AM

Jan 2011
For everyone who has stuck with this show. You guys are the real MVP. This show is special and it deserves to be more popular. Outside of its banger OP, you got a show with heart that is willing to give you a balance perspective of AI. The good and the bad. It also doesn't hold back on making you feel sad. First the teddy bear and now Perm. This show along with Masterful Cat are so underrated man. These are some real gems.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Aug 14, 2023 11:20 AM
Aug 2020
this episode was really great, it was really interesting to see the first part then the other one was even better than the first part for me.

ready for the next one...
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
Aug 14, 2023 4:11 PM

Nov 2011
Not sure what this episode was about...
Aug 16, 2023 1:01 AM

Feb 2008
Marinate1016 said:
TLDR: honestly could go on and on about this episode and show for a while, should probably just make a video on it 😂 love it.
Ohh, you should! I liked your latest video. I mostly agree with your points, and it would be interesting to watch what you think about this latest AI no Idenshi episode. This show keeps getting better and better.
Aug 16, 2023 1:07 AM

Feb 2019
KimRiPark said:
Marinate1016 said:
Ohh, you should! I liked your latest video. I mostly agree with your points, and it would be interesting to watch what you think about this latest AI no Idenshi episode. This show keeps getting better and better.

Thanks a lot buddy, I actually probably will next week, already got a short seasonal update video for this week
Aug 16, 2023 7:58 AM
Jul 2021
StateofOhayo said:
a much happier episode this time; this show continues to be fantastic.

Man wtf is this anime rating so low
Cuz of that many people just ignore it
Aug 19, 2023 5:47 AM

Jul 2017
Dr. Sudo inspecting a Humanoid working as a metal worker, robot repairs aren't his suit.

The learner robot of Learner-kun learning from the old master of Kiriyama in metalworks, the adequacy for adapting human works to Humanoids is a work in progress, certainly better than what his descendents have done and worked as smithing craftsmen making well-refined kitchen knives. And the result of that shocked Kiriyama to the point that he worked far more than he ever could to bring back the glory days from his old man. And if that was an experiment, it was good apprenticeship.

Perm-kun the care robot coming to school trying to adapt to school life, this is again another referral from Hikaru. Though Perm could do things of technological marvel, the simple things like filling out the sums on a blackboard have to be taught manually. But overtime, Perm starts experiencing abnormal things, and it's the class people of Sasayan and his classmates trying to put him in his place to have fun and relieve tension. It was a quick half-year, and that experiment in and of itself is also a success too.

Different situations, same AI adaptability course. The saying of "old is gold" applies here.
Sep 2, 2023 1:13 PM

Oct 2017
This time focus on robots and how they learn from watching humans. First half was meh, second half was better. Will we get to know what Perm kun will be doing next?
Oct 26, 2023 9:56 PM

Apr 2016
This show would have been better as a comedy, robot friend is sad so let's make him jump the rope since he loves it so much meanwhile we get tired of it was a hilarious scene, sadlt this show lacks more of that type of silliness.
Mar 14, 1:46 AM
Jun 2022
Sayonara AI , Some Bits Sure Were Amusing.

Mar 14, 1:48 AM
Jun 2022
Reply to Safrichh
This show would have been better as a comedy, robot friend is sad so let's make him jump the rope since he loves it so much meanwhile we get tired of it was a hilarious scene, sadlt this show lacks more of that type of silliness.
@Safrichh Exactly!

More topics from this board

Poll: » AI no Idenshi Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2023

28 by RGreatDanton »»
Mar 14, 1:06 AM

Poll: » AI no Idenshi Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2023

52 by RGreatDanton »»
Mar 14, 12:30 AM

Poll: » AI no Idenshi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2023

58 by RGreatDanton »»
Mar 13, 8:29 PM

Poll: » AI no Idenshi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2023

59 by RGreatDanton »»
Mar 13, 7:17 PM

Poll: » AI no Idenshi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2023

128 by RGreatDanton »»
Mar 13, 9:11 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.