Forum Settings
Forums

Favorite works that come from genres/themes that you hate?

New
Mar 17, 2023 1:11 PM

Jun 2021
For me:
Ecchi/Harem/Hentai: Neon Genesis Evangelion (tagged as such in some manga websites), Grisaia and Sora no Otoshimono.
GL: Adachi to Samamura
BL: Seven Days , Koimonogatari, Shimanami Tasogare.
Sports: Diamond no Ace, Ping Pong and Haikyuu!!
R everse Harem: Akatsuki no Yona (Hak is great!) and Bakarina.
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010#Kirisuna Nico Nico no Hyouryuuken!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsHeAUgW0lgREhidvVfUeeXb2M5WTADZ (Music about God).

*Bill Clinton's voice* I did not have sexual relationships with that anime girl. *Hilary Clinton's voice* waifu's rights are human rights, and human rights are waifu's rights. *God Emperor Donald Trump's voice* Yaoi anime will soon be illegal. All fujos will be arrested.

Mar 17, 2023 1:15 PM

Sep 2020
I don’t hate mecha, but just don’t like it that much.
My top 3 are probably Gurren lagann, Eva, and 86.
Mar 17, 2023 1:18 PM
Aug 2014
I don't exactly hate ecchi/harem stuff but find it kind of pointless most of the time, with the exception of Monogatari Series which is actually pretty well-written and directed. That's the first thing that comes to mind for me. That show is just so stylish yet trashy at the same time, and the characters are great.
Mar 17, 2023 1:33 PM
Mar 2021
Not a GL or Sports anime guy usually but Birdie Wing is top tier, one of my favorites from last year.
Generally not a fan of the CGDCT genre but I absolutely love Nichijou, it's great.
Mar 17, 2023 1:43 PM

Aug 2018
3-Gatsu no Lion is tagged Iyashikei by MyAnimeList, although I slightly disagree with this naming. Well, I don't like the Iyashikei genre in general at all, so I believe that counts as an example, since the work is in my TOP 10.

Sora Yori mo Tooi Basho might fit the same criteria. It is a work tagged as CGDCT, whose name I disagree with. I hate this subgenre, so it fits as an example here, being my favorite despite disagreement.

In the case of Ecchi and Harem, two other genres that I definitely don't like, my favorites would be, respectively, Prison School and Nisekoi. I quite like these two.
Mar 17, 2023 1:47 PM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
I'm not big on mecha and yet my fave of all time is a mecha.

"𝚃𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚖𝚒𝚡 𝚍𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚔𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎 𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚜."
☆ 𝙰𝚗𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝙻𝚒𝚜𝚝 ☆
☆ 𝚅𝙽𝙳𝚋 ☆
☆ 𝙱𝚊𝚌𝚔𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚢 ☆
Mar 17, 2023 2:05 PM

May 2019
Not a fan of mystery and suspense but i like Death Note.
Mar 17, 2023 2:32 PM
puer aeternus

Sep 2021
Isekai: No Game No Life
Ecchi: Prison School
CGDCT: Joshiraku
Slice of Life: Amagi Brilliant Park
Mar 17, 2023 2:33 PM
Jul 2018
Ecchi: Maybe Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt, Kill la Kill (I started it like two years ago but didn't finish it, but I like it), Darling in the Franxx

Harem: Steins;Gate feels like a harem at least, I know it's not tagged as such

Sports: Yuri on Ice, who would have thought. Also Skate, Tsurune and Welcome to the Ballroom
Mar 17, 2023 2:44 PM

Mar 2023
Typically tend to hate on Mecha anime but
Code Geass, Evangelion, Guilty Crown, and Gurren Lagann were soo good
~♡~ Wonderful to meet you, feel free to add me I love making friends ! ~♡~

Mar 17, 2023 3:06 PM

Jun 2019
I wouldn't say that I "hate" any of these genres as I don't hate or even dislike per se entire genres as a whole, but more that I'm well acquainted with my own interests and tastes by now and these are easily the ones comparatively to the others which offer the least amount of series proportionally that I'm interested in watching.

Ecchi - Kodomo no Jikan first and foremost as it's a Top 25er for me. After that, No Game No Life and Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation.

Harem - Without checking back over the entirety of my list right now, I don't have any that I consider and rated anything higher than a 6/10, but the closest would be something like Onegai Twins. There are a number of series I consider undesignated "stealth harem" though, such as Goblin Slayer, Steins;Gate, etc. which I vastly prefer and rate higher. It's more like in these the romantic or sexual aspect of the harem dynamic isn't focused on over other aspects of the plot, but a harem-style dynamic exists nonetheless. 

Hentai - Kodomo no Jikan (the coincidentally identically named but completely unrelated to the TV series OVA one)

Sports - Hanebado!, followed by Ping Pong the Animation

Comedy - This is the most difficult one to identify because I feel as if the Comedy genre tag is overused and misused in being applied to a lot of series which aren't primarily comedies or even the second or third genre in focus, and I wouldn't want to choose those as they don't seem representative of genuine exclusive comedies or predominant comedies. Maybe also No Game No Life as a comedy? I would consider that one almost equal parts Ecchi + Comedy + Fantasy. The series I actually found funniest though, even though I really don't look at it as a comedy as a whole, is Flying Witch, for its very subdued humor.
Mar 18, 2023 10:47 AM

Jun 2021
OmegaOtaku said:
What is the problem that you have with mecha? If I may ask?
ねえ、それはあなたです! あなたがカズマやトーマが好きなエッチ/ハーレムファンなら、女性を「平等に」扱うので、女性を殴る/軽蔑する2人のマッチョな男性か、Free!/YOIが好きだがフェアリーテイルの悪を話すTumblrファンガールです/ DxDとSAOは、ファンサービスがあり、アニメやマンガでBL / LGBTQ +ファンサービスが好きで、自分を「フェミニスト」と呼んでいるためです。自分は偽善者に過ぎず、価値観を再考し、これらの二重で停止する必要があることを知ってください。標準。 真剣に、それを止めてください😁。 #MenHaveTheRightToWorkInShortsInHotDays #MALMemberSince2010#Kirisuna Nico Nico no Hyouryuuken!
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMsHeAUgW0lgREhidvVfUeeXb2M5WTADZ (Music about God).

*Bill Clinton's voice* I did not have sexual relationships with that anime girl. *Hilary Clinton's voice* waifu's rights are human rights, and human rights are waifu's rights. *God Emperor Donald Trump's voice* Yaoi anime will soon be illegal. All fujos will be arrested.

Mar 18, 2023 11:05 AM

Jan 2021
Not a massive magical girl fan. Not sure why, it just not a genre that I can get overly into. 

Madoka Kaname Madoka Magica GIF - Madoka Kaname Madoka Magica Pmmm ...

However Madoka Magica is one of my favourite shows, and I actually like all the Madoka stuff I've seen. 
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Mar 18, 2023 11:13 AM

Mar 2021
fucking hate shojou but kaichou wa maid sama was pretty good 
Mar 18, 2023 11:21 AM

Jul 2017
I'm not really into music anime, but Bocchi was amazingly good. However, I must admit that it does not focus too much on the musical aspect of the show. I mean, it kind of does, but it's more of a comedy
i'm dead inside

green potato curry is dope though
Mar 18, 2023 11:28 AM

Jul 2017
zemeck said:
Have you ever seen Yona of the dawn? I'm not too fond of shoujo either, but I remember watching it on my mom's phone when we were on vacation, and I liked it
i'm dead inside

green potato curry is dope though
Mar 18, 2023 11:32 AM

May 2021
Harem: I Don’t Have Many Friends, haven’t seen the second season tho but i liked the first season

Isekai: The Devil is a Part-Timer

Reverse Harem: Ouran Host Club

Magical Girls: Madoka, Cardcaptor Sakura

Sports: Yuri on Ice

Music: Carole & Tuesday, Your Lie in April, Bocchi the Rock! 

hate wouldn’t be the word tho they’re just not my preference 

JessicaKariMar 18, 2023 11:54 AM
Mar 18, 2023 11:35 AM

Mar 2021
yuggieyoghurt said:
zemeck said:
Have you ever seen Yona of the dawn? I'm not too fond of shoujo either, but I remember watching it on my mom's phone when we were on vacation, and I liked it
just looked it up, read the synopsis, actually looks really interesting might check it out 
Mar 18, 2023 11:36 AM
Jul 2018
Don't like battle shounen, but FMA:B was mostly great.
Mar 18, 2023 11:55 AM

Nov 2021
ecchi : zero no tsukaima , mushouku tensei , kore wa zombie desu ga?

third picture :re:zero reddit ( [Media] Emilia & Subaru in kimono by@51senre)
Mar 18, 2023 12:06 PM
Dec 2021
Darling in the frankxx and 86 from mecha genre theme were good.
Mar 18, 2023 12:07 PM
VA-11 HALL-A

Aug 2014
Kazu-chan-san said:
OmegaOtaku said:

There's no deeper meaning or reason as to why I'm not a fan of the genre. I just don't find the concept of large pilotable robots fighting all that appealing.
I love Gurren Lagann, Evangelion and Full Metal Panic but with those I love them not because of the mecha aspect, but more for the ideas, characters and other messages that are present within. The mecha aspect is just window dressing for me.

"𝚃𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝚝𝚘 𝚖𝚒𝚡 𝚍𝚛𝚒𝚗𝚔𝚜 𝚊𝚗𝚍 𝚌𝚑𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎 𝚕𝚒𝚟𝚎𝚜."
☆ 𝙰𝚗𝚒𝚖𝚎 𝙻𝚒𝚜𝚝 ☆
☆ 𝚅𝙽𝙳𝚋 ☆
☆ 𝙱𝚊𝚌𝚔𝚕𝚘𝚐𝚐𝚎𝚛𝚢 ☆
Mar 18, 2023 12:34 PM

Jun 2021
OmegaOtaku said:
Kazu-chan-san said:

There's no deeper meaning or reason as to why I'm not a fan of the genre. I just don't find the concept of large pilotable robots fighting all that appealing.
I love Gurren Lagann, Evangelion and Full Metal Panic but with those I love them not because of the mecha aspect, but more for the ideas, characters and other messages that are present within. The mecha aspect is just window dressing for me.
Ah ok then. Most people have issues with mecha because of their internalized hatred and racism against the Japanese thinking that mecha is "outdated" and "pandering/too much fanservice" while having shitshows like Berserk and Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu and Fate Series in their favorites that pander to Neo-nazis through thin-veiled manners (e.g. "superioty of a certain race/gender/ideology.) Pretty dumb if you ask me. 

It's good to know that you don't hold any grudges against our beloved asian-nipponic shows and animes.

Say, do you or anyone else in this tread, like TokuSato?

Mar 18, 2023 12:36 PM

Jul 2015
If Banana Fish can be considered BL, then it's that.
I'm not a yuri fan, but Bloom Into You is a masterpiece.

Mar 18, 2023 1:12 PM

Jan 2008
Not a favourite but I enjoyed Azumangah Daioh enough for a cgdct (And the only example of it I manged more then one episode of)

Ecchi: Interspecies reviewers

Female Idol: One Piece: Film Red

Reverse Harem: Ouran High School host club

Shoujo: Banana Fish

Mar 18, 2023 9:49 PM

Mar 2023
Gonna be Re:Zero, it’s the only one of its genre that I manage to finish after all (and go past the first episode for that matter). It’s not really my favorite but I think it’s pretty decent.
NinnkigalMar 18, 2023 10:05 PM

Mar 18, 2023 9:53 PM

Dec 2019
Don't like Ecchi as i used to back in the day but Highschool DxD is definitely the one that i always think of everytime someone mention Ecchi
Mar 18, 2023 10:18 PM

Apr 2022
don't hate ecchi, it's just almost always dumb. but golden boy and no game no life were pretty good.
also idols - one piece film red was solid.
Mar 18, 2023 10:50 PM

Apr 2015
Hate is a bit too strong of a word for my feelings towards some of these genres, but more like it's hard for me to find good anime/manga from among them- 

Ecchi: Food Wars
Harem: The World God Only Knows
Reverse Harem: Yona of the Dawn, Ouran High School Host Club, Romantic Killer
BL: Given, Sasaki to Miyano (kind of)
GL: SQ: Begin W/ Your Name

"As promised, all that you seek, all that we desire, is prepared up there. On top of the Tower."
Mar 18, 2023 11:58 PM

Jul 2021
Hate sports, but Keijo!!!! is good.
Mar 19, 2023 1:45 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
Most Recently is isekai os-san.. I like this anime and it was more of a sitcom than isekai

Mar 19, 2023 12:59 PM
Mar 2023
Not a Fan of mecha Animes but Code Geass is very very good
Mar 19, 2023 5:21 PM

Mar 2022
Kaiju 8-gou is tagged as horror, and I enjoy it. (I really doubt it's horror, though.)
The siren of a flightless bird

Quietly destroying its cage

Dance, until tonight, with a raised voice-

For I don't want to lose hope!

-Utsuro wo Aogu, Vivid BAS SQUAD
Mar 19, 2023 5:28 PM

Oct 2019
well, sonny boy and death parade would both be technically isekai
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Mar 19, 2023 5:46 PM
Dec 2022
I wouldn't say I hate any genre, but Mecha doesn't usually peak any interest in me. But "86" is one of my favorite anime I've watched so far-
Mar 19, 2023 7:41 PM

Jan 2020
Not a fan of harem but I liked 5-toubun no Hanayome's sister dynamics.
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Mar 19, 2023 7:50 PM
Jan 2016
BLoom into you maybe from yuri genre

and 86 from mecha
Mar 20, 2023 6:16 AM

Feb 2020
Avant Garde: Yami Shibai (seasons 1, 6, 9)

Harem: Nisekoi
Mar 20, 2023 6:40 AM

Mar 2012
Ecchi: On going through my list that's my highest rated ecchi Sankarea and that's because it's horror

BL: Uraboku, I wouldn't have hated the genre as much as I do if more BL relationships were as sweet as Luka x Yuki (just a personal preference, I know it's kinda tropey)

Isekai: Juuni Kokuki, I've yet to come across an isekai that's better written than this one

Battle Shounen: Kimetsu no Yaiba, Law of Ueki, Flame of Recca
Mar 20, 2023 3:35 PM

Jul 2019
Have a hard time getting into Sports anime, but I did watch and enjoy Free quite a bit, though admittedly, I started for the fanservice, lol.

More topics from this board

» Create Your Perfect Staff:

APolygons2 - 1 hour ago

8 by APolygons2 »»
1 minute ago

» If the world was ending tomorrow

JoeChip - Yesterday

34 by SgtBateMan »»
13 minutes ago

» Idolizing Villains

SimplyBrazen - 4 hours ago

11 by WatchTillTandava »»
27 minutes ago

» Do y'all fw Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

IssyBoy - Jun 17

75 by Jackof-allspades »»
31 minutes ago

» What are the requirements for an anime to get "reanimated"?

Ventus_S - Jun 15

21 by Ventus_S »»
49 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.