Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 19, 2022 2:16 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
It's common for people to customize their profiles, talk on the forums and ask other members as friends on MAL. But beyond Stats tabs, it isn't really that useful. Which is why I wonder, how do you concretize friendships on MAL? Do you do so by starting conversations, and moving to social media or to games or something?

Jul 19, 2022 2:18 AM

Aug 2014
Friendships are liquid, not concrete. Don't be surprised when they drift away or crash into your face.
Jul 19, 2022 12:22 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
SmugSatoko said:
Friendships are liquid, not concrete. Don't be surprised when they drift away or crash into your face.

Sure, they're consented and can fluctuate or change over time.
Still, it's a functionality that I believe can have value, if one knows how to use it

Jul 19, 2022 12:32 PM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
Not counting the ones I made since the pandemic I can only safely say I have 4 solid friends on this site.

We started with small chat and eventually got used to each other, we even talk about what little irrelevant shit there is to share and we just ended up adding each other on other places like discord or facebook.

2 of those 4 I mentioned mostly chats with me on fb rather than here because irl. The covid-made friends have yet to reach that level, but honestly with how the world is right now I'd rather keep it that way
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Jul 19, 2022 12:44 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah I think it's particularly difficult when the only known interest between you and the other person is anime as all your conversations can be kept to MAL messages/profile comments. I too struggle with getting friendships from that beginning stage onto a more advanced stage such as adding on social media. As lame as it is I think the best advice is to just let it happen naturally and not try to force anything.
Jul 19, 2022 12:58 PM

May 2021
I never thought about the friends that I've had on here to be real friends, since I didn't really know them that well.
Jul 19, 2022 1:04 PM
Jul 2018
I don't think there's a single person on MAL that I met, and became a particularly close friend.
Jul 19, 2022 7:19 PM
Jul 2018
Mostly from forums, but I can confidently say I have probably 2 concrete friendships from here.
Jul 19, 2022 10:36 PM

Mar 2021
mwinner said:
Mostly from forums, but I can confidently say I have probably 2 concrete friendships from here.
*blush*

I do have the social media pages of quite a few MAL users. That's not exactly "concretizing" the friendship, though; that's on a case-by-case basis.
"Molly Ringwald" out right now - check my Linktree!

Jul 19, 2022 10:50 PM

Jun 2019
I would say that most users who I have met on MAL that I would actually consider friends are ones I actively talk to on Discord.
Jul 19, 2022 11:11 PM

Dec 2020
That's simply not possible as you can't ever concretize friendships. Unless you bring in lawyers and draft a contract or something. With ties that are inherently so weak, why people put a lot of thought into it is beyond me. I believe every man for himself.
Don't know what I want, but I know how to get it
Jul 20, 2022 1:07 AM

Oct 2008
I made a request to all my MAL friends a month ago:

Let's message eachother more, comment more. Just share our thoughts and opinions on anime related stuff. Everyone who sends me a friend request, I now message them saying:

Let's keep in touch as much as possible, because if we don't, what's the point of being friends here. And while I'm not actively sharing with them l, after something anime related happens since, I still expect them to. Unfair right?

I did get several people who wanted to chan on Discord. But I told them I'm only available here on MAL. Now it's quite again and I'm considering removing all my friends and denying any further friend requests. I'm just a controversial person in the end.
Jul 20, 2022 2:03 AM

Feb 2020
There's probably two on here that are pretty solid friends? One I knew already from PSN, but he's in the states, the other is Scottish. Nothing really has progressed past just messaging eachother though. I think my age probably would hinder true friendships... since I'm usually at least 10 years older than whomever I'm speaking too😥
Jul 20, 2022 2:42 AM

Mar 2016
5 out of the 20 people in my friendlist i can easily say they're a solid.
i know them outside of mal aswell
Jul 20, 2022 3:53 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
zsxa said:
5 out of the 20 people in my friendlist i can easily say they're a solid.
i know them outside of mal aswell

On my 800+ friends on MAL, I must know on an individual basis like, 20 of them. And keep in touch with like 5...

Jul 20, 2022 6:54 AM

Jun 2022
I would, for sure. I think MAL provides enough options with messaging and clubs and whatnot that there are enough tools to keep in touch with someone and get to know someone just on here if that's all that it is. But I'd be open to connecting on other platforms as well if it goes there.

There are some cool people here. I'm happy to have met a few of them in particular and enjoy talking with them outside of the forums.

I guess that's concrete?
Jul 20, 2022 10:39 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
dragonmade said:
I would, for sure. I think MAL provides enough options with messaging and clubs and whatnot that there are enough tools to keep in touch with someone and get to know someone just on here if that's all that it is. But I'd be open to connecting on other platforms as well if it goes there.

There are some cool people here. I'm happy to have met a few of them in particular and enjoy talking with them outside of the forums.

I guess that's concrete?

Now that you mention it, the phone update for conversing through clubs seems like a good update, never really got to use it tbh

Jul 20, 2022 11:43 AM

Dec 2019
Random friend requests I accepted and never bothered to interact further with aside, I have about 12-15 friends on here I can actually consider as friends. I only interacted with about 7 of my MAL friends on other sites. 2 of which I became close friends with and one of those two actually forming a close relationship with (she confessed to me holy shit) but she left the online world entirely a year ago and it still bums me out. A few others I've only interacted with on MAL via profile comments, DM's and forums. So I only really have 1 friendship that's concrete.

Rant incoming.
Jul 20, 2022 12:22 PM
Jul 2018
Well I wouldn’t even know how to concretize an online friendship to begin with so no. I do have 2 friends I’ve made off of ps4 through playing with them on mic for an extended period of time. Haven’t met them but would be down to if it was possible.

@TheAngryNerd You seem pretty chill and easy to talk to on here so try not to be so hard on yourself. You can turn something like that around easily, with time. So by all means if you want to be more social or go out more then try to put yourself out there, ask your friends to do stuff, pick up a hobby that requires more socializing etc. I think being social with people can take a bit of working on for anyone so try and be patient with yourself.
removed-userJul 20, 2022 12:31 PM
Jul 20, 2022 5:08 PM

Nov 2013
if u aren't making voodoo dolls of all ur MAL friends and sticking pins in their eyes and hanging them out on the washing line in the rain when they rate ur fave anime 4/10 how can it ever truly be real
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Jul 20, 2022 5:26 PM
ああああああああ

Apr 2013
I don't. If I have something I want to say to someone, I will say it, and others can do the same. Simple as.

This ground is soiled by those before me and their lies. I dare not look up for on me I feel their eyes
Jul 20, 2022 5:31 PM

Jul 2022
What's the meaning of friendship...

I don't know... But i think if i made someone's day better... Or maybe worse... (never happens)...that's valuable.

"A person who cannot give up anything, can change nothing."
Jul 20, 2022 5:45 PM

Oct 2018
I have an old school friend on MAL who I talk to regularly but I've not seen him in person in years. I've also met one other person from MAL face to face a few times to hang out n shit but that's really it.
And when creation goes to die
You can find me in the sky
Upon the last day

And you will be okay
Jul 20, 2022 6:04 PM

Sep 2019
I don't think about it too deeply, it just naturally happens I guess, all about the vibes ya know?

More topics from this board

» Are conventions still worth it?

GatoDeBarro - Dec 17, 2022

21 by ISeeLifePeople »»
5 minutes ago

» The growing link between extreme rain and respiratory health in Japan

Meusnier - 7 hours ago

5 by LoveYourSmile »»
13 minutes ago

» What is one thing your country is famous for that you wish it wasn't ( 1 2 )

MadanielFL - Mar 31, 2023

64 by Noboru »»
20 minutes ago

» Why don't you have a cat/dog?

tsukareru - May 31

29 by tsukareru »»
28 minutes ago

» What is the point of participating in the community when the returns are negligible?

PostMahouShoujo - Jun 1

19 by DesuMaiden »»
59 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.