Forum Settings
Forums

Reject Generic Isekai, Embrace Classic Anime

New
Aug 17, 2021 11:05 AM
Jul 2020
I started watching anime back in 2015 and since then I have dedicated a larger chunk of the daily spare time to anime. But as I grew older, my tastes began to mature in a way I never expected. From frowning upon Gintama to making it one of my top 3 shows, let's just say a lot has happened. But over the course of time I began to notice a trend. Isekai. Every year we are being bombarded with tons of isekai shows to the point that we are burnt out. Look I am a not saying that I can't enjoy isekai. I really do enjoy them and shows like Mushoku Tensei and Re Zero make my time watching them worth while.

What I am complaining about are generic isekai shows like I'm Standing on a Million Lives. Every year every season we are being spoon fed such shows with no break in between and I think this is a sentiment shared by many. However, as you would have it, something good also came out of it. I began to watch more and more classic shows Gintama and Vampire Hunter D. I feel like there is a need for us to go back to the past titles and appreciate them even more. Recently, I started to watch the original Dororo and I can't help but feel that this show, despite all its technical weaknesses is much superior to all those generic SAO clones.

Similarly, Aishteruze Baby is another underappreciated gem. Yes, the main female lead can sound disinterested at times but the show makes up for it with the wholesome story. Then I have to talk about Baka Baka Baka na Sekai, a film that is criminally underrated. It is film that can only be referred to as pure literature that encompasses and satirizes the human follies. We also cannot ignore Denpa-teki na Kanojo and Kurenai. Both of these shows have the ability to draw you into their world. Yes, these shows do have flaws but these never take you out of the experience.

When it comes to movies, I have to talk about Detective Conan Movie 6. It one of the most creative movie treatments the Detective Conan franchise ever got and it also did Virtual Reality way before SAO. I also want to highlight the original Golgo 13 movie. If you are into assassination movies, do give it a try and always go for 480p print as it creates a classic atmosphere. In the end, I feel like we are missing out on some quality gems that the past has to offer. Isekai is good but too much of anything can be bad and it's about time we reject generic isekai and go back to the past.
OtakughoshAug 17, 2021 11:11 AM
Aug 17, 2021 11:15 AM

May 2019
Classics, like Fushigi Yuugi, 12 Kingdoms, Rayearth, Escaflowne, El Hazard...
Aug 17, 2021 11:37 AM
危ないお兄さん

Nov 2016
Before atomic bomb, japan known as cruelest folk ever but afterwards over time become cutest place ever. U ask them to change their mindset but ur ancestor who made them become fragile like it, how ironic u are

Aug 17, 2021 12:03 PM

Oct 2010
reject humanity, return to monkey. some old anime are shit though, people should watch what they want
Aug 17, 2021 12:07 PM

Jul 2020
Nice blogging bruh................

Scordolo's Recent Reviews
To your eternity
Vanitas no Karte
Aug 17, 2021 12:07 PM

Jun 2016
Why not watch classic isekai instead?
Inuyashabros assemble
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Aug 17, 2021 12:49 PM
Jul 2018
Catalano said:
reject humanity, return to monkey. some old anime are shit though, people should watch what they want

Preach.

There are shitty old anime too and not every new one is a generic isekai. I don't see a reason for that dichotomy... other than nostalgia glasses and a sense of superiority for watching "the classics" maybe.

It's their time, so they should consume what they want.

Theo1899 said:
Inuyashabros assemble

PREACH lol
Also include 12 Kingdoms please.
Aug 17, 2021 12:51 PM

May 2013
It's funny. I never hopped onto the generic isekai bandwagon so the genre still seems very fresh to me compared to older anime haha.

I guess it is a matter of perspective.

♡ Harder Daddy ♡
Aug 17, 2021 1:00 PM

Oct 2010
_Maneki-Neko_ said:

Theo1899 said:
Inuyashabros assemble

PREACH lol
Also include 12 Kingdoms please.

preach,
also include el hazard please.
all hail jinnai!!!
Aug 17, 2021 1:09 PM

Nov 2008
Isekai is worse in the LN and WN mediums, just looking at a list of untranslated LNs and WNs will sour your love for the genre because it gets incredibly bad and even cringy, same with little sister LNs, you'd wonder how these mediums haven't crashed yet with the constant one-upping and lack of originality.

Aug 17, 2021 1:10 PM
Jul 2018
There is something the people in west don't know.Opinions of westerners don't change the current trend in Japan.I think anime taste in west and anime taste in Japan are different in general.I asked anime recommendation to a Japanese girl and she recommended Konosuba and SAO.Perhaps Isekai could be so popular in Japan.So the producers are making Isekai.
removed-userAug 17, 2021 1:16 PM
Aug 18, 2021 9:35 AM
Dec 2017
Yes thank you for saying this like god there's alot of really great stuff like Twlight Of The Dark Master for example.

Aug 18, 2021 9:39 AM

Oct 2019
Why not both instead? Classics and Isekais(Classics) are good.
"Diving deep in the ocean of ACGL"
Aug 18, 2021 10:07 AM
Feb 2014
Raneria said:
There is something the people in west don't know.Opinions of westerners don't change the current trend in Japan.I think anime taste in west and anime taste in Japan are different in general.I asked anime recommendation to a Japanese girl and she recommended Konosuba and SAO.Perhaps Isekai could be so popular in Japan.So the producers are making Isekai.

Exactly. This is the reality. This is why I have stopped thinking about it. I just try to avoid the trash and enjoy the rest. It will probably take the Japanese audience another decade or so to change this trend.
Aug 18, 2021 10:10 AM

May 2018
"Embrace Classic Anime"

Define classic! Like for many people Dragon Ball is classic and it it as generic as it gets.
Aug 18, 2021 10:18 AM

Aug 2018
tried Aishteruze Baby and it feels so dated, it was impossible to watch. Same deal with stuff like Kimagure Orange☆Road. Detective Conan and Golgo-13 do not interest me at all.

Also, it's weird that you bring up early 2000s anime. Do those really qualify as "classics"..? Anyway, Denpa-teki seems way too edgy for me and Kurenai was one of the WORST shows I've ever seen.

I recently gave a 90s fantasy adventure show called Eden's Bowy a try and it was truly awful and extremely generic. I'd much rather watch the currently airing isekai, Iruma-Kun.
epidemia78Aug 18, 2021 10:21 AM
Aug 18, 2021 12:54 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Reject people telling you what you should watch based purely on anecdotes on how their taste developed

Like, really OP? Really?

Aug 18, 2021 1:03 PM
Jul 2018
Good for you. I'm glad you felt the need to share your essay. But how about just not giving a crap about what people watch and just not watch isekai?
Aug 18, 2021 1:09 PM

Apr 2018
SAO is a modern classic by now. so EVERYBODY WATCH SAO!
Aug 18, 2021 1:13 PM

Mar 2016
Embrace trashy harem animes, come on.

just wanna feel wanted by someone other than the police 😫
Aug 18, 2021 1:18 PM

Aug 2018
To everyone currently reading this thread:

Every era of anime has its fair share of shit shows, people just don't dive head first into 80s anime like they do with modern day stuff.
AtlosAug 18, 2021 1:21 PM
_______I like rocks__
Aug 18, 2021 2:13 PM

Dec 2016
alshu said:
"Embrace Classic Anime"

Define classic! Like for many people Dragon Ball is classic and it it as generic as it gets.

Right, because there were so many anime similar to it before it came. It offered nothing new by then.
Aug 18, 2021 2:23 PM

Aug 2018
SoldierDream said:
alshu said:
"Embrace Classic Anime"

Right, because there were so many anime similar to it before it came. It offered nothing new by then.

Wolfenstein was a really unique game when it first came out too.
Aug 18, 2021 2:27 PM

Oct 2018
>really do enjoy them and shows like Mushoku Tensei
>What I am complaining about are generic isekai shows
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Aug 18, 2021 2:38 PM

Oct 2013
Or, and this may sound crazy, I could just watch all the newer anime that aren't isekai.
Aug 18, 2021 3:13 PM

May 2018
SoldierDream said:
alshu said:
"Embrace Classic Anime"

Sarcasm?
How about the better anime like Vampire Hunter D, Ai Shoujo Pollyanna Story, Uchuusen Sagittarius, Hokuto no Ken (1986), Kidou Senshi Gundam ZZ, Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa ect shows from the same year?
Better visually and as writing.

...or you prefer DB's mediocrity just because is mega-popular?

epidemia78 said:
SoldierDream said:

Wolfenstein was a really unique game when it first came out too.

Comparing anime to game technical advancements is even less convincing in the case of DB which did nothing new in the visual department and even being somehow below average for the standard at the time.
Aug 18, 2021 3:27 PM

May 2009
Otakughosh said:
I started watching anime back in 2015 and since then I have dedicated a larger chunk of the daily spare time to anime. But as I grew older, my tastes began to mature in a way I never expected. From frowning upon Gintama to making it one of my top 3 shows, let's just say a lot has happened.
It arguably says something else about you that you see "opinion on Gintama" as a proxy signal maturity or something. Not that there's anything specifically wrong with Gintama per se, but yeah.

Otakughosh said:
But over the course of time I began to notice a trend. Isekai. Every year we are being bombarded with tons of isekai shows to the point that we are burnt out. Look I am a not saying that I can't enjoy isekai. I really do enjoy them and shows like Mushoku Tensei and Re Zero make my time watching them worth while.

What I am complaining about are generic isekai shows like I'm Standing on a Million Lives. Every year every season we are being spoon fed such shows with no break in between and I think this is a sentiment shared by many.
Honestly, they're far more enjoyable if, instead of trying to watch all of it, you just don't watch any of it, unless you really want to.

Like, seriously, this is an example of why I don't bother with "seasonal" watching. There's no need to keep up with whatever is currently airing. There's no need to try to watch all or as much of it as possible. You don't try to eat everything at a buffet and complain about there being too many dishes, do you?

And I ain't backing down on my having a positive opinion of Isekai Cheat Magician. Though I sometimes surmise it may have to do with my not having watched...almost any of the other isekai shows people keep complaining about. I'm pretty sure if I'd forced myself to watch Re:Zero, Smartphone, Blesser of Einherjar, Arifureta, Maou-sama Retry, etc. etc. etc. before I watched that, I would have been plenty sick of the premise by that point. So the problem isn't isekai; the problem is simply oversaturating oneself on it.

(I do plan to watch Re:Zero. Once I read more of it. This is taking a while.)

That said, I do like that you're going back to appreciate a bunch of older shows. There's so much interesting stuff that people don't talk about anymore. Makes for lots of stuff to explore.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Aug 18, 2021 5:33 PM

Dec 2016
alshu said:

Sarcasm?
How about the better anime like Vampire Hunter D, Ai Shoujo Pollyanna Story, Uchuusen Sagittarius, Hokuto no Ken (1986), Kidou Senshi Gundam ZZ, Tenkuu no Shiro Laputa ect shows from the same year?
Better visually and as writing.

...or you prefer DB's mediocrity just because is mega-popular?

I was being sarcastic because accusing DB of being generic makes little sense when it actually helped defining a whole type of anime and was the original inspiration of many others to come later.

Also you are comparing apples to oranges when you mention all those other shows. We are talking about the nekketsu series here, those shounen series with young boys getting stronger, defeating enemies, fighting for good causes and so on. What does any of that have to do with Castle in the Sky, for example?

And no, I don't prefer DB because it's mega-popular. If I liked anime just because of huge popularity levels I'd be loving recent hits like Demon Slayer and Jujutsu Kaisen, where the case is exactly the opposite.
Aug 18, 2021 5:43 PM

Jul 2021
Happy you mentioned "Electromagnetic Girlfriend".

I don't know much about classics and isekais tho. I'm just a SOL watcher, so I don't care about them too much.

The only classic thing I know is "Dennou Coil", which delves upon virtual reality but in a more creative & childish way. I think it's pretty great.
Aug 18, 2021 5:46 PM
Jul 2018
Gintama is far from what you call classic anime. In fact it makes a mockery of the term "classic"
Aug 18, 2021 5:56 PM

Mar 2020
There has always been generic anime. Going back just changes the aspect ratio, animation, and genre. So watch what ever.

The reason I think these threads get made is it is easier to cherry pick from older anime than test the waters with newer anime. The older stuff has tons written about it so it is easy to pick the best out of it, newer stuff you either have to wait or you try it and like every season lots of it is very meh.
Aug 19, 2021 3:42 AM

May 2018
SoldierDream said:

I was being sarcastic because accusing DB of being generic

I am not accusing it, being generic is fact.

SoldierDream said:
makes little sense when it actually helped defining a whole type of anime and was the original inspiration of many others to come later.

This type of anime existed before it, this is why I mentioned Hokuto no Ken.
What DB helped define was some trends inside battle shounen, not the whole type itself.
And you using the word "inspiration" is ridiculous since this franchise promoted and made mediocrity a norm. It showed to other authors how to use optimised watering down techniques and shortcuts disguised as stylistic choice.
I fail to see that as a good thing.

SoldierDream said:
Also you are comparing apples to oranges when you mention all those other shows. We are talking about the nekketsu series here

Like Hokuto no Ken?

SoldierDream said:
those shounen series with young boys getting stronger, defeating enemies, fighting for good causes and so on. What does any of that have to do with Castle in the Sky, for example?

Yes, this is one of the plot points in Castle in the Sky (along with young girls getting stronger, defeating enemies, fighting for good causes and so on) just not watered down to 1000+ episodes.

SoldierDream said:
And no, I don't prefer DB because it's mega-popular. If I liked anime just because of huge popularity levels I'd be loving recent hits like Demon Slayer and Jujutsu Kaisen, where the case is exactly the opposite.

I guess even battle shounen fans got bored after several decades of recycling those same 10+ ideas.
Aug 19, 2021 3:59 AM
Jul 2018
There are some good isekai like The vision of Escaflowne and Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku.
Aug 19, 2021 4:06 AM

Feb 2020
Watashi, Nouryoku wa Heikinchi de tte Itta yo ne!, Isekai Shokudou, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear and Slime 300 are pretty good imo.
Aug 19, 2021 5:31 AM

May 2018
"Reject Generic Isekai, Embrace Classic Anime"

Nah, I'll just watch whatever I find entertaining
Aug 19, 2021 5:35 AM
Jul 2018
Atlos said:
To everyone currently reading this thread:

Every era of anime has its fair share of shit shows, people just don't dive head first into 80s anime like they do with modern day stuff.

true, there are so many trashy OVAs from the 80s.
Aug 19, 2021 5:40 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
Reject thinking embrace trash within you

Aug 19, 2021 5:41 AM

Mar 2020
Some people sure act like every anime pre 2010 was second coming of jesus
Here is the thing trahses exist then trashes exist now and number of trash or midcore shows outnumber good shows in every era in any medium of entertainment people trend to forget that
also i will decide what i am gonna watch dont care if a show is perfect if i myself can have a fun time with it then whats the point of watching anime
AnimeFA78NAug 19, 2021 5:49 AM
Aug 19, 2021 10:13 AM

Apr 2017
I can agree in the sense that in a recent season, there were a whomping 5 isekai anime and 4 of them had absolutely 0 memorability to them.
There's no inherent right or wrong in this universe, but when we think with emotions rather than logic, we make things so.
Aug 19, 2021 10:20 AM
Jun 2016
I agree. Isekai is an awful genre, and people often fail to appreciate old anime or even watch it at all. Not all old anime is good though, especially old comedy and ecchi.
Aug 19, 2021 10:23 AM

Dec 2016
AnimeFA78N said:

Well, a lot of them were very close to.
Aug 19, 2021 10:25 AM

Mar 2020
SoldierDream said:
AnimeFA78N said:

50/60 shows at best from three decades worth of content is not a lot of them
Aug 19, 2021 10:28 AM

Dec 2016
AnimeFA78N said:
SoldierDream said:

Well, not many anime was being produced each season and/or year prior to 2000, which makes the (great anime)/(total anime produced) ratio of that time period way higher than what it is today.
Aug 19, 2021 10:31 AM

Mar 2020
SoldierDream said:
AnimeFA78N said:

Well, not many anime was being produced each season and/or year prior to 2000, which makes the (great anime)/(total anime produced) ratio of that time period way higher than what it is today.

well true on that but i still dont remember lots of great anime pre 2010 i watch handful of good anime or watching currently from that tho i will deep down a little bit more before coming into a proper judgement for myself
Aug 19, 2021 11:11 AM

Mar 2021
Otakughosh said:
What I am complaining about are generic isekai shows like I'm Standing on a Million Lives. Every year every season we are being spoon fed such shows with no break in between and I think this is a sentiment shared by many.

There is a simple explanation for this. Some time in the the late 2000's more and more anime studios suddenly came out of the woodwork and over the course of the past decade the global market for anime almost doubled reaching over $23 billion. To you it might seem like you are being spoon fed generic isekai shows. But the reality is we are just being spoiled with so much anime that one person alone can barely keep up with everything being constantly released. We are getting twice as much and sometimes more anime then we have ever gotten a decade ago.

In all honesty you should be glad we get so much anime released each year even if some of it is generic isekai titles.

Edit: The year is barely half way over and I have watched/watching these titles that have released this year alone so far...

Isekai Maou to Shoukan Shoujo no Dorei Majutsu Ω
Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon S
Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear
Kumo Desu ga, Nani ka?
Log Horizon: Entaku Houkai
Mairimashita! Iruma-kun 2nd Season
Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu 2nd Season Part 2
Mushoku Tensei: Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu
Slime Taoshite 300-nen, Shiranai Uchi ni Level Max ni Nattemashita
Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken 2nd Season
Meikyuu Black Company
Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta... X
Seijo no Maryoku wa Bannou Desu
Sentouin, Hakenshimasu!
Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki

Quite frankly I actually really enjoyed/enjoying most of these titles this year.

And I know there are still some Isekai titles released this year that I have yet to explore. If you asked me that's quite a lot of anime to watch that has already been released in just a half a years time and there is still another half year to go with lots more Isekai titles to come....

We are basically being completely spoiled with anime these days that's it's really easy to think that we are simply just being spoon fed generic titles. A decade ago we wouldn't even see half this many Isekai titles being released in a year.
ColourWheelAug 19, 2021 12:22 PM

More topics from this board

» Do you find immoral anime fun to watch?

LenRea - 10 hours ago

21 by alshu »»
2 minutes ago

» Would anime be better if they started to use more adult casts?

Thy-Veseveia - 7 hours ago

10 by alshu »»
14 minutes ago

» ➢Is there an anime that you liked when you first watched it, but hate it when you look back?

Gashadokur0 - 8 hours ago

6 by MeguSae38 »»
20 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9144 by appledude1221 »»
30 minutes ago

» Have you ever considered picking up drawing anime as a hobby? ( 1 2 )

Anjuro - Jun 3

86 by Fyk0 »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.