Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 8, 2020 1:36 PM

Dec 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episodes 6-10 were streamed on Netflix Japan on June 8th.

lol, the whole part with Edamura becoming a honest man was pretty funny, honestly. so this case is gonna be about air racing, huh. looks promising so far
and the show just continues to be as colorful and gourgeous as ever. good stuff
Jun 10, 2020 5:58 AM

Jan 2016
Edamura can't escape them.
Jun 10, 2020 6:51 AM
May 2015
I enjoyed honest man edamura while it lasted lol. Happy birthday Chris <3
Jun 10, 2020 7:35 AM

Jun 2019
My dude just wants to live a peaceful life. But I guess they're not gonna leave him alone. But the team is so good. I love all the characters introduced so far in this show. It's freakin' awesome.
I'm sayin' it once again. This anime is gold. Pure Gold.
Jun 10, 2020 8:09 AM

Sep 2017
Poor Edamura though he could escape them, oh boi he was wrong

That little side-story with the single mother was nice though

The new arc looks promising !
Jun 10, 2020 9:21 AM

Jul 2017
The next case, air racing in glorious Singapore, yours truly's home country. But before all that...

For Edamura, the brief stint in LA has him deported back to Japan, and after his release from jail, to rescindle his motivation to live a "honest man" life, and away from the conman lifestyle, while Laurent's gang is going in full swing.

Happy "glorious" birthday money to the single mother though.

To think that Makoto would be tricked to land in Paula's land, looks like his time as a "honest man" doesn't live long, HEH. A money-laundering air race-cum-trip to Singapore, expanding the world.

Can't wait to see how this case shapes up though!
Jun 11, 2020 1:44 AM

Feb 2017
Once you get in, you can't get out. Con man life won't leave Edamura no matter how much he tries.
Jun 11, 2020 1:53 AM

Oct 2017
Another entertaining episode. Abby was lit once again, can't get enough of her. Also I feel bad for Edamura lol. He finally started leading a straight life but already got roped into a shady job.
Jun 11, 2020 3:31 AM

Jul 2017
Average episode again. New case has started, but like the start of the first case, it's just not interesting enough to captivate me whatsoever from the start. I know it's a slow build and you need to plant seeds but at least that's where the characters should shine and carry the interest but I'm still not sold on them as entertaining or compelling (except Paula, she's head and shoulders my favorite from this show so far). HOWEVER, the last 2 episodes of the first case were decent and the start here was slightly better than the first arc so hopefully, it does pick up again; maybe a little quicker for this particular case.

Also the music was better in this episode so that's a promising sign for the future for me. That's been a major complaint for me with the first arc so a little more variety and toning down was nice to see.
animejasJun 11, 2020 3:37 AM
Jun 11, 2020 6:52 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
This show is awesome, all these characters and how they present the plot are compelling.
Jun 11, 2020 8:06 AM

Mar 2019
for how long was edamura on the big house??
Jun 11, 2020 10:44 AM

Jan 2009
welp i wonder whats so special about Edamura that they keep wanting him to become part of the Robin Hood group they are in
Jun 11, 2020 7:19 PM
Jun 2017
edamura living a normal life... then all of a sudden he meet the same con team... hahaha.. i am really enjoying this series
Jun 13, 2020 3:21 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Great episode of getting back into the swing of things. Edamura served his debt to society and is trying to be a decent guy who works honestly. I have to had it to him, he's a really respectable guy. A huge change from how he was the first episode. Looks like he got out earlier than expected, only serving two years.

As for Laurent and the gang, they're still doing what they do best. Screwing over fat cats who think they can get away with anything. It was nice to see them helping out that small family.

It's good to see Abby is as spicy as ever, and the Paula Dickens chick is so fine.

So Laurent is purposefully trying to get Edamura back into the fray huh? Excited to see how they're going to take down their next targets.
Jun 18, 2020 5:27 AM
Dec 2019
Does anybody knows the name of the song playing in the background on the Edamura and Abigail scene with the airplane?
Jun 18, 2020 6:07 AM

Nov 2016
Textbook scam, but that dude had it coming.

And lol, nice try Edamura, but no escape.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 18, 2020 9:45 PM
Feb 2015
Man I feel genuinely sorry for Makoto. He's been tricked by these guys over and over and they keep trying to make him feel less capable than what he really is, treating him as useless and nothing more than a con though they keep running back to him
Jun 21, 2020 6:08 PM
Jul 2016
I need the ost music name not yhe ending
Jun 23, 2020 1:28 PM

May 2018
Looks like Edamura despite of wanting an honest living, keep on getting back to Laurent's monkey business......
Jun 28, 2020 6:14 AM

Jun 2013
I wonder if Edamame will have a situation which will tempt him to become a con man again all on his own volition. So far, he was dragged unwillingly into it but the prospect of scamming 200 mil usd definitely made his ears perk up. As much as I love the craziness in this series, I want some darkness like deaths of some of the main cast.
臭い-
Jul 1, 2020 4:31 PM

Sep 2016
this anime feels like it's messing something and it appeared in this episode the most,
i don't know what but i feel like the characters lack something.. they feel like a fake characters,
i don't feel the chemistry between them at all hell it almost feels robots talk to each other.
also i didn't like the cuts between the scenes doesn't feel smooth at all.
it almost feels like the workers that worked on this anime were rushed wanted to finish it fast so badly and didn't care much about it.
it's a good anime but it has these thing that i didn't notice in any anime i watched before.
EDIT: Spelling and Grammar Fix
sager225Jul 1, 2020 4:44 PM
Aug 1, 2020 11:41 AM

Mar 2012
Mixed feelings about this one. I know it's for the "plot" but Makoto always being screwed over even when he wanted, tried, and is leading an honest life. Which begs the question why Laurent wants him so much, even if Makoto is talented, he should still respect his opinion. I thought they only screw people who does bad things ala Robin Hood style?
Aug 26, 2020 7:43 AM

Oct 2016
Respect to Edamame for trying to live an honest life but, boy you can't escape Laurent no more lmao. I really like Cyntha though, she seems like a really fun character. F for our boy Edamame though, keeps getting screwed over for our entertainment keep at it Edamame.
Aug 31, 2020 2:25 AM
Oct 2019
So how long was her in jail/prison? Did he train to become a mechanic while he was locked up? Otherwise he picked that up super quick...

Abbie loved Soybean riding on her lap.
Sep 7, 2020 11:52 AM

Mar 2010
If only he kept the money he could have escaped and never be found again. He should ask the red head to fuck him tbh. Might as well

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Sep 11, 2020 2:48 AM

Feb 2016
Sep 11, 2020 3:18 AM

Feb 2016
dzn018 said:
Mixed feelings about this one. I know it's for the "plot" but Makoto always being screwed over even when he wanted, tried, and is leading an honest life. Which begs the question why Laurent wants him so much, even if Makoto is talented, he should still respect his opinion. I thought they only screw people who does bad things ala Robin Hood style?

I don't know why some people like to complicate every little thing,

Dude he obviously needed him in the first operation and as for why he wanted him back it's easy he just likes the guy and so do i

You won't enjoy most of the shows out there if you criticize every little thing like this coz i guarantee you most of animes don't make sense at all more than this one...

It's just a mere anime just sit back and enjoy why can't people just do this it's not a hollywood movie or a hpo series for goodness' sake
Kja95Sep 11, 2020 4:31 AM
Sep 11, 2020 3:22 AM

Mar 2012
Kja95 said:

I don't know why some people like to complicate every little thing,

Dude he obviously needed him in the first operation and as for why he wanted him back it's easy he just likes the guy and so do i

You won't enjoy most of the shows out there if you creticize every little thing like this coz i guarantee you most of animes don't make sense at all more than this one...

It's just a mere anime just set back and enjoy why can't people just do this it's not a hollywood movie or a hpo series for goodness' sake

Wow, who hurt you? Lmao. If you don't agree with it, you can just you know, ignore the comment? Guess who's making it complicated now. Lmao. Are we just supposed to watch and not comment about the shows?
Sep 17, 2020 6:50 PM
Jul 2018
This episode just felt like buildup to the next episode...without really much happening.
I don't understand why Abby is such an asshole; at first, it was kinda interesting, but now she's just unlikeable. She's not the charming kind of asshole like Kazuma: although I think the subtext is she's an asshole to the MC, because she finds him to be weak.
Oct 10, 2020 10:50 PM
May 2012
Kenokiri said:
Man I feel genuinely sorry for Makoto. He's been tricked by these guys over and over and they keep trying to make him feel less capable than what he really is, treating him as useless and nothing more than a con though they keep running back to him

Exactly, he was never really a conman to begin with, not by choice. It would have been better if they just let him be. Great pretender.....ironic because this Anime is pretending to be slick when it isn't at all. Lady luck is their bitch.
Dec 5, 2020 9:37 AM

Jul 2017
After a really good first case in the rewatch, this time the case is called Singapore Sky and like the name suggests, its seemingly related to air racing in the sky and Makoto who was released after being in prison for two years and desired a peaceful, normal life, was trained to be a mechanic for this heist all along. Poor guy wanted to change himself and forcibly got roped into the world of being a con artist yet again by Laurent and the others.

Hell, even when he and Abigal took a plane to the skies that Makoto repaired himself, Laurent planted a chemical capsule and that led to the plane exploding with Abigail just parachuting on time with Makoto. Rough for him, despite him being involved now in a plan that could fetch 200+ million dollars if it all goes well. Laurent clearly likes having Makoto around to help him given the fact that he spent 2 years of his own choice in prison and still thought about him for this particular mission, especially by having him be trained to be a mechanic.

On another note, loved Cynthia in this episode. She was bewitching, charming, cunning against that manager Danny when they were in Vegas, and helped the lady who was fired and treated badly by Danny by giving her a ton of his money that she made by scamming him along with Laurent and the others with rigged underground fights.

I disliked the case when I watched it previously, a lot more than the average first case back in the day. I still feel a little less in love with the start of this case than the first case after the rewatch, but it has been a lot better again in general.
animejasDec 5, 2020 9:40 AM
Dec 10, 2020 5:29 AM

Apr 2020
So Edamura being a mechanic was Laurent's plan
Dec 31, 2020 7:22 AM

Sep 2017

Cynthia is good in this episode.

And I think Laurent and Abby had a relationship in the past, judging by how Abby tries to sabotage that con just because.

Cynthia says as part of her con that she wants to sabotage Laurent's underground den since she had something with him in the past and now, Abby tries to sabotage Laurent's con. And once it is done, Abby complains about Laurent fucking anything that stands. Someone's JEALOUS.

This con is probably involving explosive plane due to something put in the fuel.

But taking the entire inheritance of the mid eastern dudes is gonna be damn tough. I dunno how they will do that.

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Jan 1, 2021 10:05 PM

Jul 2016
Don't tell me. The guard who first recommended Makoto the mechanic job was also a friend of Laurent, right?

Honestly, Laurent is like the plague. Makoto finally found a job and was about to start living a honest life like his deceased mother wanted...

Well, guess it's time for "lone wolf" Abby to receive some much needed characterization.
Jan 13, 2021 5:32 AM

Mar 2015
So begins another arc, looking good! Cynthia such a femme fatale!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Jan 31, 2021 2:36 PM

Feb 2019
It looks great, but I hate this new Makoto. I would much rather he still loved to make money :/
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Feb 22, 2021 5:26 AM
Nov 2014
Laurent and co can fuck themselves honestly. Dude just wants to live an honest life unlike his old man but they just keep screwing with him
Mar 11, 2021 10:00 AM
Oct 2019
Accelerator48 said:
Laurent and co can fuck themselves honestly. Dude just wants to live an honest life unlike his old man but they just keep screwing with him

Exactly what im thinking right now
Apr 21, 2021 3:50 AM
Jul 2018
So... Edamura went home to Japan and turned himself in. He got out many many days later and became a mechanic. He got recommended by his boss to fix for airplane stuff. But he didn't know that he traveled to an island and became suspicious about the familiar looking island? These twists are just way too good, in my own opinion.
Jul 6, 2021 3:36 PM

Jul 2015
Lmao for a second I actually believed Edamame did pretty well as mechanic only for the old man to be paid by Laurent to fool him. So far I don't really like Abby's personality much but I kinda like the crazy stuff she does.

Jul 6, 2021 4:00 PM

Apr 2018
Edumama became a honest and good person, started working as a mechanic but ended up as a swindler again. xD

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Sep 11, 2021 4:11 PM

Jul 2010
I like the anime so far but something is bugging me. The team is too toxic and I feel bad for Edamura. It reduces my enjoyment of the show. I was expecting something like Leverage but things are going too anime-ish.

Don't know what to expect from the whole show, but I am guessing that things will take a dark turn towards the end.
Mar 26, 2022 2:14 PM
Jan 2016
Lol I knew that there had to be something fishy with the mechanic, who goes from repairing cars to repair planes in 2 months and then gets sent away cuz he is just "too talented" xD It's kinda hard to root for makoto when he is this naive but at the same time I feel bad for him.
Dec 4, 2023 7:32 AM
Nov 2023
Damn he cant even live peacefully lol
Feb 4, 10:20 PM

Nov 2022
Liked the episode, feel bad for Edamura for finally leaving his quiet life behind, but I'm also glad that the shenanigans will continue. High hopes for this case
May 21, 11:12 PM

Mar 2013
How long was he in the jail for? Lol
I don't why Laurent is so insistent on getting the dude in his team...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 18 Discussion

uninstallthegame - Sep 20, 2020

42 by RawrOMG »»
Yesterday, 1:47 AM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 17 Discussion

40 by RawrOMG »»
Jun 12, 8:10 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 16 Discussion

31 by RawrOMG »»
Jun 8, 6:42 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 21 Discussion

34 by RyogiSHIKI7 »»
Jun 5, 12:04 PM

Poll: » Great Pretender Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

SingleH - Sep 20, 2020

246 by landofthekwt »»
Jun 3, 8:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.