Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 20, 2018 9:58 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Aww, I love the character chemistry this episode. These girls have come really far in the show and they all developed through their experience together. Closing into the show, they learned so much.

It's noticable that Hikari isn't anywhere to be found and with the festivals drawing closer, the atmosphere got somewhat tense. However, I loved the rhythm of the song this episode and it sounded refreshing and heartwarming.
Sep 20, 2018 12:17 PM

Dec 2014
Kinda depressing how there's only 1 episode left, only hoping it turns out to be the greatest.
Sep 20, 2018 3:07 PM

Oct 2014
Ah they forced the story to go this way by adding an extra info regarding Starlight.
And btw, Hikari is really bad at thinking things through, huh? The same way she shut Karen away during her match vs Tendou, and now this lol.

It's still fun, though. Karen breaking apart scene is very powerful.
Sep 21, 2018 3:16 AM

Dec 2014
Revvie-chan said:
Ah they forced the story to go this way by adding an extra info regarding Starlight.
And btw, Hikari is really bad at thinking things through, huh? The same way she shut Karen away during her match vs Tendou, and now this lol.

I thought the starlight story changed after Hikari made her wish?
Sep 21, 2018 3:56 AM

Oct 2014
Jacob194 said:
Revvie-chan said:

yeah, the ending of Starlight Gatherer was changed by Hikari.
That's why I said it's an extra info, for that slight but pivotal change in the lore changes everything we knew about Starlight, and thus change the whole outcome (back to the "the girls rewriting the story each time" thing, the changes Hikari made this time changed the whole plot and meaning of Starlight Gatherer, which directly changed the system this "Revue" audition has (since it's a mirror of that.))
Now... that change is new. The writer decided to update the story of Starlight Gatherer so that the anime could continue this way.
But the new Starlight Gatherer has a rather open ending (Claire trapped in tower forever) so with all the infos we have now, anyone can easily guess: "But then Karen can just rewrite Starlight Gatherer again, and then Starlight Gatherer can get a closed end."
Which... is probably what the writer is intending to do here on the last episode: Happy ending for all.
Isn't that purposefully driving the story from meta so that it can end that way?

That's also why I said Hikari didn't think things through lol.
She unconsciously left a loose end. Bcs of many reasons.
But she probably didn't mean to be rescued. That's why I said she didn't think things through lol.

Well, but unless they wanna put one last sad twist lol.
After all, if you want much, you give much in return. Who knows how much will the cost for Flora/Karen to save Claire/Hikari be?
Revvie-chanSep 21, 2018 4:00 PM
Sep 21, 2018 4:37 AM

Jun 2013
This episode is a build-up for the climax and it did a great job doing that.

The song in the background and the direction make it really easy to understand the chemistry between everyone and how important one to everyone is.
I loved the way they portrayed that.

4.5/5 I am really looking forward to the last episode.

Karen really can't speak or read English at all, damn...
Sep 21, 2018 8:25 AM

Dec 2014
Revvie-chan said:
Jacob194 said:

That's why I said it's an extra info, for that slight but pivotal change in the lore changes everything we knew about Starlight, and thus change the whole outcome (back to the "the girls rewriting the story each time" thing, the changes Hikari made this time changed the whole plot and meaning of Starlight Gatherer, which directly changed the system this "Revue" audition has (since it's a mirror of that.))
Now... that change is new. The writer decided to update the story of Starlight Gatherer so that the anime could continue this way.
From what was a tragedy to Flora, to a tragedy to Claire. (Claudine and Maya switching role is also sign to this.)
But the new Starlight Gatherer has a rather open ending (Claire trapped in tower forever) so with all the infos we have now, anyone can easily guess: "But then Karen can just rewrite Starlight Gatherer again, and then Starlight Gatherer can get a closed end."
Which... is probably what the writer is intending to do here on the last episode: Happy ending for all.
Isn't that purposefully driving the story from meta so that it can end that way?

But she probably didn't mean to be rescued. That's why I said she didn't think things through lol.

After all, if you want much, you give much in return. Who knows how much will the cost for Flora/Karen to save Claire/Hikari be?

That's what I mean..

Revvie-chan said:

They didn't force anything as we already knew they are re-writing their own story.

Revvie-chan said:

I mean, Hikari changed the story not the writer.
Sep 21, 2018 8:30 AM

Oct 2014
Jacob194 said:
Revvie-chan said:

From what was a tragedy to Flora, to a tragedy to Claire. (Claudine and Maya switching role is also sign to this.)

That's what I mean..

Revvie-chan said:

They didn't force anything as we already knew they are re-writing their own story.

Revvie-chan said:

I mean, Hikari changed the story not the writer.

ah. Perhaps you're right.
Sep 21, 2018 9:48 PM

Oct 2015
Wow! That was message filled and very symbolic. I love this episode contained inspirational message about starlight dreams and hopes, also failure and despair.

Not a bad episode but I still don't feel this entire series.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Sep 22, 2018 12:26 AM

May 2015
Why is the giraffe a stamp? Did I miss something or is that the school's mascot?

The cast for Starlight hasn't changed...

Waaait....Hikari's missing...are we going to pull a Starlight where after so long, Hikari and Karen reunite but have to go through the play again? Or actually...the class practicing for Starlight...is actually the play itself!? No...the anime IS Starlight!

Uhh...if they're doing plays written in English, shouldn't being able to read English proficiently be one of the requirements of getting into the school?

Keyword of this episode is "Stage". Interpret that as you will..

Next episode is the last episode. And given how this episode progressed, they're about to dump a whole lot of budget into the final performance. Everybody ready?

Sep 22, 2018 9:24 AM
Dragon Idol

May 2017
Tarotist said:
Why is the giraffe a stamp? Did I miss something or is that the school's mascot?

Pretty sure it means these guys are all perfectly aware what's going on, it's just they cannot talk about it, hence the indifferent attitude.
He gave permission for her resignation, which is probably part of what you need before the giraffe will just "let you leave". Because as they said, all stage girls are connected.
Sep 22, 2018 10:09 AM

Jul 2017
Only one more episode left for this show, and that sucks. This show has truly been a gem and this episode was beautiful. Hikari seems to have left and the 100th festival is coming in close.
Sep 22, 2018 12:55 PM

Aug 2017
This episode was a bit melodramatic. I don't like it so much.

Did Hikari been down there this entire time? lol
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 22, 2018 2:04 PM

Sep 2017
So it seems as though only Karen lost her 'shine' from coming in second. At the same time, you could argue that she was actually just feeling that way because Hikari was gone. I think that's actually what has gone down since Hikari re wrote the story, which apparently gets her trapped, but at the same time prevents the audition from literally taking the girls shine and memories away. Silly Hikari should have known Karen would come looking for her.

This was quite interesting, and it was nice to Karen with basically no drive. Also Karen was descending to the stage had a kinda surreal vibe to it. Those girls weren't actually showing up out of know where, right? It was probably like a vivid thought, like the stage bringing her thoughts to life (we know the stage can take shape based on the persons actions or shine or whatever).
Sep 22, 2018 5:33 PM

Dec 2016
Ohhhh mannnnnn am I looking forward to the final episode
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Sep 22, 2018 5:41 PM

Jan 2011
boy this episode had a lot to unpack was depressing seeing our main girl so empty but all this build up should make for a great finale.

like the small detail of making karen look so serious and determined in the ED
Sep 22, 2018 9:16 PM

Aug 2013
I noticed two things that could be of significance.

"The Starlight Gatherer" stated that "Grasping the Star means forgiveness for your sins." And yet, the new addition to the book said "She[Claire] became the new prisoner to atone for their sin." But that's slightly different from what Karen said as she was reading the book. Karen said that Claire was imprisoned to atone for the sin of trying to grasp the Star. So if these statements are all valid, then, assuming that Hikari is playing the role of Claire, Hikari really hasn't grasped the Star, or the Top Star in context of the audition. It all fits together so nicely, because in reality, Hikari didn't take the "fuel" or the "shine" from all of the participants of the audition. This meant that the others didn't have to suffer for their sins of trying to grasp the Star, and that only Hikari had to, given the last scene in the episode.

I also noticed that Karen didn't exactly finish reading/translating "The Starlight Gatherer." Looking at the scene around 15:25, where the addendum to the book is introduced, there are still a large number of pages left in the book. And then Karen runs off in search of Hikari. So the story is not over yet and likely won't end in a tragedy like in the original. I'm guessing that in the final episode, Karen and Hikari will grasp the Star together and do "Starlight".
Sep 23, 2018 3:36 PM
Dec 2014
skeyupower said:
I noticed two things that could be of significance.

"The Starlight Gatherer" stated that "Grasping the Star means forgiveness for your sins." And yet, the new addition to the book said "She[Claire] became the new prisoner to atone for their sin." But that's slightly different from what Karen said as she was reading the book. Karen said that Claire was imprisoned to atone for the sin of trying to grasp the Star. So if these statements are all valid, then, assuming that Hikari is playing the role of Claire, Hikari really hasn't grasped the Star, or the Top Star in context of the audition. It all fits together so nicely, because in reality, Hikari didn't take the "fuel" or the "shine" from all of the participants of the audition. This meant that the others didn't have to suffer for their sins of trying to grasp the Star, and that only Hikari had to, given the last scene in the episode.

I also noticed that Karen didn't exactly finish reading/translating "The Starlight Gatherer." Looking at the scene around 15:25, where the addendum to the book is introduced, there are still a large number of pages left in the book. And then Karen runs off in search of Hikari. So the story is not over yet and likely won't end in a tragedy like in the original. I'm guessing that in the final episode, Karen and Hikari will grasp the Star together and do "Starlight".

I would be fine with either, tbh. I think a bittersweet ending where Karen switches places with Hikari would be fitting, since it was the latter trying to protect the former that caused things to go a bit south.
"Thorkell has no resistance to getting kicked in the f-in head. To be honest, neither do I." -Captain Mack

"You've faced many life-and-death situations. But that does not make you an adult. Finding more fallen-out hairs on your pillow, watching your favorite stuffed-bread disappear from the convenience store... the accumulation of those little despairs is what makes a person an adult."-Nanami Kento
Sep 24, 2018 1:11 AM
Jul 2018
hm, i noticed that at the stairs scene, the background changed for each characters' dialog, which was identical to each previous revues

Sep 25, 2018 3:18 PM
Jul 2018
Well, they didn't pull a Madoka but my other prediction kinda hit the mark with Karen going back to the audition stage to save Hikari. Now all I can do is wait and see how they'll manage the last episode, but given the build up of this episode I'm guessing it will be a happy ending. Well, as long as they handle it well and it isn't too tropey then I'll be more than fine with a happy ending.
removed-userSep 28, 2018 2:30 PM
Sep 26, 2018 4:01 AM

Oct 2007
For a moment I thought giraffe stole Karen's "shine" for fuel... but I guess Karen's depression happened naturally, because her waifu disappeared.

How did Hikari manage to survive half a year in the basement... Giraffe gave her food? And why in the world is she naked?
Oct 20, 2018 9:53 PM

Jul 2016
It was an interesting episode although it seems Hikari didn't know Karen all that well... I mean, of course she would come to rescue you.

So basically, Hikari took the bullet instead of the rest of the girls, which is an interesting decision since in that way, they all would keep their shine and hopes. Well, except for Karen, who can't live without her due to Hikari being an important part of her motivation.

Now, I'm wondering how the story will end since Karen decided to go rescue her.
Nov 3, 2018 2:01 PM

May 2012
Great buildup for the next and last episode I must say! Really nice episode and I do now really wonder what will happen in the last episode.
Oct 9, 2019 11:37 AM

Nov 2018
Hikari cutting her hand like that.
Even the police officers in this show are women lol. Wonder how Kirin got away with having a male seiyuu.
Wait. Ironically the starlight is going just like Nana wanted it to.
They sure get told about the lead and main roles in advance. More than 6 months.
what is a Bananancier even
Oh Karen is experiencing the same feelings Hikari did. Ah. Because Hikari chose to lose them herself, it affected her too as her soulmate.
Oh my God Nana stop adding Bananas in everything.
Oh translating that novel to english actually gave away the hint where Hikari is. Impressive work by Karen. Wonder how much her english skills improved doing that.
Again a parallel to how Hikari forced her way in that stairway entrance with the tool.
Wow Junna appeared too out of nowhere, as expected of best girl of the series. Oh seems like everyone is appearing one by one by the order of their episodes, okay then.
Hikari is naked. I officially don't like Kirin, what is he even making her do.
May 12, 2021 4:18 PM

Feb 2020
Very touching episode.

Hikari was imprisoned for this whole time. Interesting.

SerafosDec 23, 2023 3:36 AM
Dec 28, 2021 6:44 AM

Jun 2021
Damn, it actually did take a seriously dramatic turn (retiring from school and missing in action for six months) . Trying to laugh somehow, i wanted to listen to more of Karen's broken english on the phone. Also, i finally remember to praise the great art style of the ending, and it's because it was used also for the wonderful Love Live Nijigasaki's Neo Sky Neo Map two years later even if i watched it before.
_untitledDec 28, 2021 6:54 AM
May 27, 2023 11:06 PM
Aug 2016
Best mahou shoujo
Jan 25, 8:36 AM
Jun 2016
Is it actually possible to translate from English to Japanese using only a dictionary? Like, the two languages are pretty dissimilar.

I wonder if The Starlight Gathering is inspired by the story of the Tower of Babel in The Bible.
Mat2468xkJan 25, 8:41 AM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 1 Discussion

EGOIST - Aug 8, 2018

28 by mo_lave »»
May 15, 9:00 PM

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 6, 2018

49 by Mat2468xk »»
Jan 24, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 23, 2018

87 by Mat2468xk »»
Jan 24, 9:51 AM

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 9, 2018

37 by Mat2468xk »»
Jan 24, 8:38 AM

Poll: » Shoujo☆Kageki Revue Starlight Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2018

86 by AlexGecko »»
Nov 25, 2023 5:09 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.