Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Forest of Piano
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 29, 2018 8:32 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A beautiful display of piano performance again this episode.

Kai continues to wow the audience at someone his age. When he's playing that piano, it feels like he's in a different world. The training paid off quite well and I'm impressed by his progress.

I personally liked the transition scenes between the forest and the piano playing. It really captured the magic of the show.
Apr 29, 2018 3:03 PM
Aug 2015
The piano competitions I've been in are a lot more Your Lie in April than Piano no Mori, but it's really nice to think that there could be something like this. The anime has a very magical feel.
Apr 30, 2018 9:20 PM
Mar 2015
Kai could have qualified if he just followed Ajino Instead he found his own and was able to banish Mozart's ghosts Loved the way he was transported with everyone to the forest

Loved the way they turned the Keyboard for Takano into Wendy's tail
Apr 30, 2018 10:19 PM

Mar 2010
this episode showed a perfect example of stuffy old traditionalists getting in the way of progress, how can anyone listen to a performance of that level and say "nah he took his shoes off so lets fail him".
May 1, 2018 12:59 AM

Mar 2013
what an amazing performance by human wendy. those 6 judges are bitches giving kai a zero because of "etiquette". the episode left me wanting more (like every episode), takako and amamiya made it to the finals but kai sadly didn't even though he gave the best performance out of everyone not only that but he conquered his fear of mozart. his performance was a little rocky at the beginning sure but even amamiya admitted that kai should have won. I wonder how amamiya is going to feel when he finds out kai isn't going to the finals? honestly human wendy did an amazing job playing away from the norm and I actually enjoyed the cg in this episode mainly because it was used really well with the transition from the stage to the forest.
May 1, 2018 1:04 AM

Apr 2016
I like it. Lol at old people. Sucks that Kai couldn't play in the final round, but something tells me that Ajino knew this would happen and did it on purpose. I didn't like the CGI in this episode. Seems pretty off to me, but the music was cool. Kai had an ant in his shoe or something lmao. Dude got extra comfortable.

I like how Shuu recognized Kai will always be better, but doesn't resent him for that. But it also sucks that he feels down about it too.
[
May 1, 2018 1:36 AM

Dec 2011
With this episode.They finish the movie and i can't wait to see the time skip animated..
I really hope to see Maria xD
May 1, 2018 2:11 AM

Jul 2017
The CGI was godawful but the transitions between the concert hall and the forest looked really magical.

The performance was very good and whilst I expected Kai to lose out of technicalities, it still was a nice performance to witness.

Best episode of this show so far.
May 1, 2018 2:45 AM

Nov 2016
A really good episode this week. Takako overcoming her fear was well done. Her performance was so sweet.

Kai's perfomance was the big one. He could have pass if he played like Ajino. But the scene after that was amazing, the transitions between the forest and the stage were gorgeou and magical. By far the best performance, felt really special. He finally played is own music.

The ending was sad, he didn't pass to the next phase. Wasn't expecting that.
May 1, 2018 3:17 AM

Jan 2016
This was superb

I got a bit teary-eyed when they failed Kai because his performance was spectacular. Disgusting judges, like the dude who protested, said, what's the point of having humans play the piano if they're only supposed to follow the sheat.

May 1, 2018 6:32 AM

Jul 2017
Good episode, however that full body CGI when Kai was playing completely took me out of the music.

Kai would have passed if he continued playing like Ajino, instead of playing his own Mozart. While i felt bad for Kai, I understood why the judges failed him. There’s a set crititeria that all the pianists have to adhere to. It’s not a concert. If one person doesn’t follow the formalities of the competition then it sets a precedent where everyone won’t. However, the judges giving him 0 points based off etiquette is reaching hard.
FlexstyleMay 1, 2018 9:33 AM
May 1, 2018 8:25 AM

May 2015
What the hell with this CGI? It really pisses me off.
But not only that. 4th episode already and I still can't bring myself to care for any of the characters. The adaptation itself feels very lackluster not only in art but in storytelling too.
I hoped it would be something great, really moving and inspirational. But so far it's plain boring and seems like I've already seen something like that million times before.
May 1, 2018 9:12 AM

Jul 2017
OMG are we witnessing more of the CGI that doesn't quite connect well with the 2D visuals...one PARTICULAR area where Kai's interaction with his back facing with the ghost Mozarts is/are quite off-putting.

Other than that, the movie exposition is done, am looking forward to what comes next.
May 1, 2018 9:27 AM

Nov 2016
Pretty good episode.

It was clear that Kai wouldn't make it to the finals,despite his outstanding performance.Some people are just too stubborn to look past standard criterias.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 1, 2018 10:31 AM

Sep 2015
I think the judges are right at excluding him but wrong at not acknowledging he was the best, especially the old hag.
May 1, 2018 10:45 AM

Jan 2015
Another really enjoyable episode... I think the thing that I most enjoyed, was the surprise in Kai's not being included in the end, for the final round of the competition. After everything he faced, internally. After the support he gave Takako, which led to her own overcoming her fears. And then, the way he played so boldly, so successfully, his own interpretation of the piece. It was just awesome. But sadly, not enough to see him move forward. Of course, I too continue to have problems with the transitions to 3D CGI, during those piano segments. They must not've had a full body female render for Takako, eh? Since her entire sequence remained 2D. And I thought her segment was beautifully animated, with the addition of the ghostly Wendy resting her head in Takako's lap, empowering her. As well as the floating stream of piano keys, as she played. That's proof right there, that you don't need such convoluted CG to bring out the artistry of the music. I will say, though, that the one CG shot, beginning above the tree tops of Kai's imagined forest, and circling down around he and the piano, was very dynamic. It was the one, singular CG shot they've done that I really liked.
sXebluesMay 1, 2018 10:52 AM
~ sXeblues - Reviews on Youtube ~
May 1, 2018 12:42 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode.

Kai's performance could've admittedly been presented much better but it was still really enjoyable to watch. I love how Kai just stops and begins playing his own style of the piece.

Real shame the judges chose to fail him, the guy who was protesting against failing Kai is right, why even let Human's fail if all they're supposed to do is follow the sheet.
May 1, 2018 5:40 PM

Mar 2010
Y'all bitching about the CG, how bout you try an animate 10 fingers moving on a keyboard and get back to me.
May 1, 2018 6:51 PM

Mar 2012
ten said:
But not only that. 4th episode already and I still can't bring myself to care for any of the characters. The adaptation itself feels very lackluster not only in art but in storytelling too.
I hoped it would be something great, really moving and inspirational. But so far it's plain boring and seems like I've already seen something like that million times before.

Really? This episode had me feeling quite sympathetic for Kai... I'm loving his character. A lot. I'm surprised you haven't been able to relate to any of them.
May 1, 2018 10:34 PM

Mar 2017
tf that judge was so annoying af.
I feel so sorry for Kai ;w; hope he gets another chance to enter a competition.

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

May 1, 2018 10:47 PM

Oct 2008
oh man! where's the justice! this is so unfair.
Majority went for the formality and didn't even consider that Kai's level is only happening once per decade! that's extremely rare!
Maybe the judges are in denial because they couldn't accept there there's someone who is so great but could not follow proper etiquette that's they turned bind eyes! oh man! time for Kai wreck them all and prove himself that Kai doesn't need formality/proper etiquette in order to be dominating on the world of piano competitions!
5/5.

May 2, 2018 3:48 AM

Oct 2015
It was expected that he would be disqualified for the lack of etiquette but not acknowledging his performance because it didn't follow the score? That's just low and stupid.
May 2, 2018 3:58 AM

May 2015
SparkleDuck said:
ten said:

Really? This episode had me feeling quite sympathetic for Kai... I'm loving his character. A lot. I'm surprised you haven't been able to relate to any of them.

I actually gave it some thought yesterday because it bothered me too. And I found my reasons behind not beeing able to like this anime.

CGI is really a huge problem for me here. I am usually more forgiving and I can certainly handle crappy animation at times. But here it's not just awkward, it's completely wrong.

Characters don't feel like real people. Yes, they are all in anime, but when in one moment character has one design and then he looks completely different (should I say alien?) and then back again looking normal. It's not only annoying but really disturbs the process of trying to relate to a character.

The story itself is so oldschool. Manga is old, traditions put into storytelling and character designs are old as well. It's not a bad thing, it's actually very good. But you either surround the viewer with nostalgic atmosphere from start to finish or change everything to accommodate to modern CGI technique. They do neither, instead half-assing everything.

To better convey my thought let me compare this to another anime that has oldschool vibe too. Imagine Megalo Box with 3D hands flying here and there just because it's hard to draw all the right movements. That's not an excuse. Yes, production values are very different, but it's something more philosophical, I guess. Why should I care about something when creators themselves didn't bother to put much thought and effort into it?

Maybe I sound bitter, but truly it is sad. Music is one of my favorite themes in anime and I really hoped to enjoy this one.
May 2, 2018 11:12 AM

Jan 2012
I just wish she'd stop calling him Wendy... Somehow this is really irritating me.
May 3, 2018 3:56 AM

Nov 2009
Just finished watching the movie from 2007 which, as it turned out, adapts this first arc (episodes 1-4). Surprisingly, overall, I find the TV series better. The movie does provide a bit of additional info and the atmosphere isn't bad, but the TV version is better at amplifying the atmosphere and at adding lots of timely little scenes. Also, I like voice acting in the TV series better.

Now I wonder how much of the manga this show is going to adapt. The manga is like 26 volumes (I didn't read it, just looked up the volume number), and I kinda doubt 12 episodes is enough for all that...
ったく、嫌な世の中だよ。
May 3, 2018 12:18 PM

Dec 2014
ok this was where the movie almost ended... now the performance seemed better in the movie but regardless good episode
May 3, 2018 11:08 PM

May 2015
This is not saying much, but this was the best episode so far…. Artistic wise, they didn’t do anything outstanding with Kai’s performance, but music wise, it was good. This episode adapted up to chapter 40, page 24.

Now my question is, will I get to see Sae-chan? I really hope so... Although, if she appears, I get the feeling that all of her characterization will be omitted to the point of making her irrelevant.

CG said:
Just finished watching the movie from 2007 which, as it turned out, adapts this first arc (episodes 1-4). Surprisingly, overall, I find the TV series better. The movie does provide a bit of additional info and the atmosphere isn't bad, but the TV version is better at amplifying the atmosphere and at adding lots of timely little scenes. Also, I like voice acting in the TV series better.

I’d say this, neither the movie nor this are really great adaptations of the manga. What the movie has over this is better production values (well it is a movie, so of course) and better directing thanks to Masayuki Kojima.

Both, this and the movie, adapted the first 5 volumes of the manga (if not mistaken). The TV version within the span of 4 episodes (25 minutes each), and the movie within the span of 1 hour and 40 minutes. Basically the same amount of time.

CG said:
Now I wonder how much of the manga this show is going to adapt. The manga is like 26 volumes (I didn't read it, just looked up the volume number), and I kinda doubt 12 episodes is enough for all that...

The very beginning of the 1st episode shows you a grown up Kai (17 years old at that moment) playing the piano at the 15th International Chopin Piano Competition. That is from a very late chapter in the manga (Volume 15, chapter 136). So yea, they are planning to adapt a lot. We only got 8 more episodes left, and I’d say that that isn’t nearly enough to adapt the content leading to that point in the series in a satisfying and compelling way. They will need to do a lot of skipping and/or rushing to get there; even more than before. I really wish that’s not the case though, but...

Even the OP and ED shows you that they are planning to adapt a lot by giving you a glimpse of some of the contestants of that competition already (Sofie Ormesson, Wei Pang, Lech Szymanowski, and Shuuhei, of course).

Now, will they actually adapt the whole thing (26 volumes) within this cour? I doubt it and I hope not. They should at least try to make another 12 episodes for the rest, or just leave it there.

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
May 5, 2018 7:55 AM

Feb 2016
Okay I'm done, I guess I'll stick with the movie and read the manga because I just can't, this is just disappointing.

Dropped
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
May 5, 2018 7:57 AM

Feb 2016
Jryou said:
Y'all bitching about the CG, how bout you try an animate 10 fingers moving on a keyboard and get back to me.

The problem is not using CG, but how bad it looks and the terrible transitions between 2D and 3D models. I believe the Movie didn't even use CG, and if it did it was polished greatly
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
May 25, 2018 9:59 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
For me, continues to be the best series of this spring season!!!
Another episode that ended very quick, although the Kai not passed the cut, very normal, because in a competition is very important the security of the player/pianist and this case the stop meant doubts, although it was a kids competition and the judges could "raise the hand", but finally happened the best for Kai, because for the next competition he will know how will can do it!!!
Great episode and the tears and smiles of Takako helped too!!!
Dec 26, 2018 9:30 AM

Aug 2013
Great episode.

Kai's performance was great to watch. It's sad that he didn't made it to the final round.

Mar 27, 2019 7:05 PM

Dec 2013
This is the best episode so far, I think. Takako is annoying at first but when she hugged KAI, she's really cute. I just hope she would stop calling his as Wendy, KAI not be able to enter the finals although he would really like to play Chopin was really sad. Can't wait for the next episodes

★━━─
𝘏𝘰𝘸 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘐 𝘣𝘳𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘱𝘦𝘢𝘤𝘦 𝘵𝘰 𝘮𝘺 𝘩𝘦𝘢𝘳𝘵?
𝘞𝘩𝘦𝘯 𝘐 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘯𝘬 𝘢𝘣𝘰𝘶𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘦𝘷𝘦𝘳𝘺 𝘥𝘢𝘺?

Sep 13, 2022 8:43 AM
Nov 2020
oke ccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

More topics from this board

» Movie or TV????

Half-MagePrince - Apr 17, 2018

9 by burstfadehc »»
Feb 15, 10:06 AM

Poll: » Piano no Mori (TV) Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 27, 2018

4 by Raid41 »»
Oct 10, 2023 3:39 AM

Poll: » Piano no Mori (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 8, 2018

119 by dragnpiano »»
Jul 27, 2023 4:17 PM

» On Episode 8: This is probably a question for manga readers... What happened 25 years ago?

removed-user - May 28, 2023

2 by removed-user »»
May 30, 2023 12:34 PM

» What age group is this anime ok for

EliseW - Dec 27, 2021

3 by EliseW »»
Dec 27, 2021 1:52 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.