Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 21, 2010 12:12 PM

Feb 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Just came back from the cinema. Loved the movie.
Great visuals and sound. And it sure was long. :P
The aliens reminded me of these god creatures from Kamichu! Obviously, it's the same director.

(Producer) Tomonori Ochikoshi, (Character Designer) Masashi Ishihama & (Director) Koji Masunari with my Yuuko-chan

Stuff I brought back from the movie:

May 23, 2010 10:24 AM

Mar 2008
Watched this yesterday at the BFI, gorgeous animation and brilliant story. Koji Masunari and Tomonori Ochikoshi were on stage after the film for a Q&A which was cool.

I hope it gets licensed for the UK, can't wait to own it on disc :)
Jun 25, 2010 4:02 AM
Dec 2007
The first 23 minutes looked very impressive and even better than Kamichu!. The animation is really detailled and the characters are already well-introduced and developped after one fifth of the movie. I'm really looking forward to the whole thing, especially since the beginning has not that many fantastic elements.
JacutJun 25, 2010 8:06 AM

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Aug 2, 2010 4:04 PM

Feb 2008
Saw it at Otakon and it was very enjoyable. Just happy it was over before the fire alarm went off

Oct 2, 2010 1:57 PM

Oct 2010
Proxy_One said:
Saw it at Otakon and it was very enjoyable. Just happy it was over before the fire alarm went off

Haha, I know! It went off a minute after it let out. Maybe it was somebody from that theater that pulled the alarm.
Feb 11, 2011 1:09 AM
Dec 2007
One of the most moe moe moe moe moe movies ever. The screenplay was also pretty good, with a nice SENSE OF WONDER all over the place.

All in all, an excellent movie.
Feb 19, 2011 9:33 AM

Jun 2009
That was really enjoyable. I love it. And Pochi is so adorable <3

Feb 19, 2011 5:46 PM

Sep 2010
Very great movie, a treat for my eyes!

I was troubled to find Mario Galaxy, Rayquaza (pokemon) and ROB in the same movie!
Feb 19, 2011 7:22 PM

Sep 2008
It felt like a breath of fresh air for me.
The aspect of space adventure was great and the characters were very likable. It doesn't hurt that the space show looked fantastic.

The ride back home was one of my more favorite scenes. It's like all the kids matured just a little bit and found a place in life. <3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 19, 2011 11:47 PM

Jul 2008
It was really long, but the second half was good. I like Ink though. She's really cute.
Feb 20, 2011 11:35 PM

Jan 2009
that is a nice movie, and ye the second half is engaging
Feb 21, 2011 2:55 PM

Aug 2010
This movie was fantastic. I actually enjoyed the first half just as much as the second, so no complaints about how long it was from me. I think my only complaint is the seemingly quick resolution during the final battle. It's like, "oh you kicked me, guess I'm done fighting." But then again it's a movie for kids so I can't complain about the lack of violence.

I really want more from this team. Kamichu! and Space Show are both amazing.
Feb 25, 2011 8:44 PM

Feb 2009
A very rare and magical piece this is, in other words, what a beautiful and brilliant anime movie have I seen. Even thought been rated G,
I personally from start to finish was amazed by it. The story and it's meaning, the art and animation, the music, the characters and their development, everything was flawless. This movie is a treasure that you must find and see for yourself.
Feb 25, 2011 11:00 PM

Sep 2009
I enjoyed this quite a bit. I just decided to check it out. I'm glad I did.
Mar 2, 2011 9:12 PM

Mar 2010
Best movie I have watched in quite awhile! Absolutely beautiful. I wish more movies were this spectacular~
Mar 14, 2011 3:47 AM

Nov 2008
I was charmed at first by the setting, and I would've rated it high if it were only for the first half or so. But then it turned into a crappy save the world plot hax with evilish people that comes out of nowhere, whose motivations are cliched and not even well explained, and some pseudo message about keeping courage, trusting others people blablablah... that feels naive and cliched.
The dumb finale and the forced happy ending were so much of a let down, it felt like the author absolutely wanted some action in the movie and didn't know how to introduced it, he just went for the quickest and laziest way possible and threw all the stereotypes of the genre.
I would've loved this movie if it were only for the exploration of its setting, but it had to kill all the joy and destroy what was the real charm of this movie in the end.
Apr 3, 2011 8:02 PM

Jun 2010
I couldn't tolerate it anymore after about an hour. Nothing happens and slowly, too. A bunch of colorful stuff moving around the screen doesn't make a worthwhile film. It's also pretty annoying that there seems to be some sort of plot in there, but it refuses to advance it more than once every 15 minutes. If the entire movie was a meandering wander through over-designed environments, at least it'd have purity of concept. This way it's just half-assing a plot.
Apr 10, 2011 3:53 AM

Feb 2008
It was an alright movie, in spite of the many logical inconsistencies and the nudist pedo dog.
Apr 23, 2011 6:53 AM

Feb 2009
Awesome film,I really enjoyed it.Beautyful art and animation and very very moe,indeed.

"Only the dead have seen the end of war".
~Plato~
May 27, 2011 5:42 PM
Aug 2007
Just watched it. It was quite long (I wouldnt mind if it was a great movie) and it was very very cheesy at times. Seriously.. the characters were not build up properly, I mean, one second the helpful guy is all "yeh, we'll help each other and stay together etc" and then he's all ":'( WE HAVE TO GO BACK :'("

The storyline was atleast a bit interesting.. and Pochi was a good character..

7/10 overall..
Jun 19, 2011 1:57 PM

Aug 2010
Great visuals! I really got hooked once the movie started. I did not care so much for the story I was just interested in the art that was all over this movie.

If only our moon was like that and aliens were spotted everywhere in the universe.
Jun 23, 2011 9:43 AM

Aug 2010
I thought it was a great movie, those 2 hours were spent well.

Ink was my favorite character.

8/10
Jun 27, 2011 10:11 AM

Apr 2009
HooHiraiBunny said:
I was charmed at first by the setting, and I would've rated it high if it were only for the first half or so. But then it turned into a crappy save the world plot hax with evilish people that comes out of nowhere, whose motivations are cliched and not even well explained, and some pseudo message about keeping courage, trusting others people blablablah... that feels naive and cliched.
The dumb finale and the forced happy ending were so much of a let down, it felt like the author absolutely wanted some action in the movie and didn't know how to introduced it, he just went for the quickest and laziest way possible and threw all the stereotypes of the genre.
I would've loved this movie if it were only for the exploration of its setting, but it had to kill all the joy and destroy what was the real charm of this movie in the end.

I have to agree with your post in it's entirety though I still enjoyed it without thinking much of the plot on the second half.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 24, 2011 1:06 AM

Sep 2008
Awesome animation. Plot was pretty dull though and lots of things unexplained.

Reminded me of American cinema in terms of story. Sloppy and shallow.

All that aside, it was still pretty good.

Ink was the best character by far.
Aug 21, 2011 4:52 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
This movie was freakin' long.

Not a big fan of the "plot" though. Slightly wasted potential.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 13, 2011 1:36 AM

Jul 2007
Beautiful movie, but yeah, it was too long. They could've pared down the plot a lot. I almost wish it were more of a slice-of-life space adventure where each kid figured out what they want to do with life, rather than the degrade into a "we have to save the universe!" type of story.

I also sort of wish for an epilogue; I want to know if Amane and pedo-Pochi ever meet again, and especially if Kouji and Ink meet again!
<---made of awesome!
Aug 27, 2013 3:01 PM

May 2012
Really awesome movie! I enjoyed every bit of it, the beginning to the ending was one hell of a great trip with a great adventure made in space! Very beautiful art and just great animation together with very lovely voice acting made this a very good movie!
Mar 17, 2014 5:54 PM

Jun 2009
Pochi was a good character build. Animation / Soundtracks were good.

Yes the story was a bit cheasy for the "save the wolrd' kind of theme. But i thought hey. It wasn't that bad. and it was a good refreshing watch.

Didn't get anything " big" out of this movie but at least it was entertaining
LET JUSTICE BE DONE; THOUGH THE HEAVENS MAY FALL
Jan 3, 2015 7:33 AM
Dec 2011
i love this movie watch it subs now dubs... and will watch it again ... this is a masterpiece,,, what a concept "the space show" wow i love it amazing characters...everything is perfect in this movie and is out of the world :3
Sep 30, 2015 9:52 AM

Oct 2007
The visuals are rather nice, but the characters aren't very interesting, and the story - whole two hours of it - is inane drivel.
May 23, 2020 9:39 PM

Mar 2020
Utterly empty experience with the nicely drawn backgrounds being its only strong point.

Half assed attempts at creativity without essence or meaning to it. "Oh hey here is a planet populated by anthropomorphic dogs that looks just like country side on earth", "here is a futuristic city populated by all kinda blobs but they have buildings chair and everything just like on earth, but hey skyscrapers are round that makes it sci fi", feels like it came straight out of 1960's.

Forgettable characters, one dimensional villains, no tension during scenes that were meant to be tense, bad music that hurt my ears.
Sep 6, 2021 9:18 AM

Aug 2017
One of the worst movies I've ever seen. The pacing is extremely inconsistent, too pointless stuff at the Moon and in the ship train and after that the pacing is too fast. The gang's antagonist subplot was quickly resolved and suddenly we need drama between the sisters. I wonder if Neppo could have captured another human from Earth and not Amane and her rabbit, its obvious the movie needs to force the kids into the "plot". And those kids were never in danger during the last battle.

Also, the fact two kids can defeat two aliens in seconds and single-handedly is the worst part of the movie. And wtf the sudden land on Earth in 30 minutes? The only positive thing in this movie is the animation.

Cringe characters, cringe plot, cringe movie. 2/10 for the movie.

NurguburuSep 6, 2021 9:25 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 11, 2022 1:21 AM

Jan 2021
It's not the same but I feel like this is something we'd more or less get if Spirited Away and My Neigbor Totoro were combined.

I LOVE THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN KOUJI AND INK OMG THAT'S SO ADORABLE!!!! And of course Pochi with the kids (especially Amane-chan :p) is also very cute and heartwarming.. I hope they all can meet again :"")

Also it has great visuals, fun characters and nice ost & background music~

If your childhood dream was to work or live in space, or if you really like adventure in general, this would be a fun and very enjoyable show ♡

Aug 9, 2022 6:00 AM

Aug 2017
What about time dilation though?

Some people truly are unable to enjoy a movie, it seems.
Nov 6, 2022 6:34 PM
Jul 2014
I like Ink and Kouji relationship so much. I thought some of the quick scenes that summed up the strange experiences on the moon were fantastic and wished they would’ve done more with that. Someone else said they would’ve preferred if it was a slice of life where each character learned more about their interests, and I agree! A better movie than I was expecting, but definitely for kids.
Apr 19, 2023 8:55 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Got a ghibli vibe pretty quick, and the the space battle, suddenly reminds me of gundam. Never expected this to be original, and also produce by A-1. No wonder its so wack with the plot xd.

Not the best experience i've ever got, but the rural-village Ghibli vibe was so clear to the point that i can't give this a bad review. Even though all things messed up, still they've got the point, and i can see that as a good resolve under those 'space' plot.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges

More topics from this board

» Neppo's plan (and a few related questions)

evileivind - Apr 19, 2019

0 by evileivind »»
Apr 19, 2019 5:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.