Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 18, 2016 7:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The monsters in this series gave me a similar vibe to Sousei no Onmyouji...

Matoi still trying to get used to her magical powers...although I think she needs some improvements. Claris is still the most badass girl imo from this show.
Oct 18, 2016 8:39 AM

Apr 2010
Pretty intense episode and Matoi got found out after which she exposed her identity.
The question is what will the organisation do with her.

Anyway what was that English word Luciela used during her teaching she mentioned the meaning but she mentioned it in a broken way so i didn't understand what she was saying.
I never heard that word before.
Oct 18, 2016 9:18 AM

Jan 2015
Aaww, Yuma isn't that bad after all. She really did bring change of clothes for Matoi.
Now she got more things to handle, especially with that Luciela. And after saw her at Shingo's house, shw might not be that bad to become Matoi's new mom. LOL
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Oct 18, 2016 9:25 AM

Sep 2015
Eventhou Claris transformation is not a god, If I'm not wrong Claris's is actually Odin and confirmed to be one after she used the lighting spear. Anyway Claris really is op op, especially that final skill matching with the ost.

Luciela-sensei and the anti-creeds are not the same department from the start huh but they seem to know each other. I must say Yuma is totally my favourite character<3
valvravetruthOct 18, 2016 9:40 AM
Oct 18, 2016 9:35 AM

May 2012
I liked this episode. Claris is pretty badass, but I'm not sure if I'd go as far as calling her op yet

I bet Matoi's mom was a badass. Wonder if she's "trapped" somewhere or something.

Aversa said:
Anyway what was that English word Luciela used during her teaching she mentioned the meaning but she mentioned it in a broken way so i didn't understand what she was saying.

Apotropaic? Pretty much warding off evil or such, which makes sense when she calls her an "exorcist girl."

I've never really seen it used much either, especially in anime, and I think I only recall seeing it being used occasionally in games like the Elder Scrolls games or such. Fantasy games, y'know what I mean?

Oct 18, 2016 10:52 AM

Mar 2014
Olem said:
I liked this episode. Claris is pretty badass, but I'm not sure if I'd go as far as calling her op yet

I bet Matoi's mom was a badass. Wonder if she's "trapped" somewhere or something.

Aversa said:

Apotropaic? Pretty much warding off evil or such, which makes sense when she calls her an "exorcist girl."

I've never really seen it used much either, especially in anime, and I think I only recall seeing it being used occasionally in games like the Elder Scrolls games or such. Fantasy games, y'know what I mean?

what about Matoi's mom be that kami floating in Matoi's head, the kami have curls and when Matoi is transformed, she looks like her mother, anyway is pretty early but is possible.
Oct 18, 2016 11:11 AM
Jul 2018
That soundtrack before the ED. I want to listen to the full version.
Oct 18, 2016 12:00 PM

Dec 2014
well things progressed a little ...but episode was ok ..with little more information on demons and stuff
Oct 18, 2016 12:07 PM

May 2012
Joycdonnell said:
what about Matoi's mom be that kami floating in Matoi's head, the kami have curls and when Matoi is transformed, she looks like her mother, anyway is pretty early but is possible.

I was thinking the same, but then Matoi and and Yuma keep referring to it as "he" and "him" so I'm not so sure now either lol

Oct 18, 2016 1:08 PM

Jun 2015
Much better episode than the previous two. Things are getting more interesting now.
Oct 18, 2016 6:20 PM

Dec 2014
Pretty intense episode actually.

Still though, shout out goes to the slice of life scenes for being so damn charming.
Oct 18, 2016 7:40 PM

Apr 2011
Decent episode. Matoi better get use to fighting.
Oct 18, 2016 10:54 PM

Sep 2013
A lot of interesting developments are happening. Though I'm sure Claris is going to be the "avenger" category, I'm still interested in her story. Haruka is working for some company with motives that are unknown at the moment. The relationship between Matoi/Shingo is explored a little more. Yuma is entertaining and that Creed Killer gives me the Millennium Earl vibes.

3/5- Much better episode. Got a little character development and that final scene was more intense than what we've seen thus far. I thought it was a great choice to have Matoi saving Claris in the end but not be the one who defeated that demon. So many times before we have seen a main character get brand new powers and defeat the enemy over the person who has the same powers longer but failed to win. As soon as she transformed I immediately thought, "don't you fucking dare beat that thing newbie." I'm glad she didn't.

Matoi just distracted that demon while Claris recuperates.
TehSnawnOct 18, 2016 10:59 PM

Oct 18, 2016 11:13 PM
Jul 2018
Things are sure getting interesting! Claris is such a badass!
Oct 19, 2016 12:06 AM

Jun 2013
I dont think that i will ever understand the anime that MAL hates, this was a really good episode and this is a very solid series.
Oct 19, 2016 1:21 AM
May 2016
So that makes sense why Matoi calling his dad "Shingo-kun", they've been part for long because of Shingo's work in th past. Matoi's mother dissappearing still in mystery.

Looking forward for the next episode. Clarus was badass
Oct 19, 2016 5:20 AM

Jun 2013
So I guess we will be seeing a lot of Matoi naked in public and trying to get out without being spotted. Lol her topless streak got so many views on YouTube. Her life will be so ruined if people find out the identity of the topless mahou shoujo.

That English class lol. Yuma and her mistranslation. And that woman started off with a "bonjour" lol. Some English teacher. She probably forgot that this wasn't english before saying it. And she was talking about the exorcist girl while looking at Matoi and she was like "why're you looking at me?"

We also learn about the relationship between Matoi and Shingo. Matoi lived away from Shingo all this time and only recently started living with him which is why she's uncomfortable in calling him "dad". And now Matoi knows that Shingo does think about mama so maybe she'll start calling him "dad" soon. Shingo knows that they're not that close which is why he stopped when he was about to scold her for being too close to something dangerous.

And why did Matoi even go near that dangerous beam of light when she doesn't want anything to do with all this nonsense? She should really learn to say "no" to Yuma. And now the sensei knows that Matoi is the topless mahou shoujo. And those who were observing her have now met her too. And they're up against some weird fat guy.

This is getting slightly interesting but it still feels pretty bland overall. The comedy is getting a bit okayer. I'm gonna give it one more episode before deciding its fate.
Oct 19, 2016 12:01 PM

Aug 2014
I liked the backstory and sol stuff! The pacing is pretty frustrating thou :/

The characters are my favourite part, all well written (except possibly baddies, was that the penguin? Guess it depends on their motives), and Yuma is awesome! Can't wait until she gets powers like in the op!! :)
Oct 19, 2016 2:40 PM

May 2015
Pretty intense episode. Nicely done fight to be honest.

Good episode.

Oct 19, 2016 3:40 PM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm a pretty good episode that advanced the plot by introducing some new plot elements and characters while also reinforcing existing ones.
I love how the episode introduced the reason why Matoi and Shingo seem to be stiff for a father and daughter.

Having Luciela teach Yuma and Matoi English was a smart idea.
I wonder though about the organisation that she works for IATO.
Which side are they on i wonder.
Took them long enough to find out that Roy was a traitor.

So Clarus's power comes from her divine weapon that is stored in her briefcase
thats called from her bracelet
love her transformation though
brief but flashy

Combat scenes is as good as always
Hmm so Clarus's duty is to defeat the demons at all costs even at the cost of her life harsh but necessary i guess

Man that demon was powerful but im glad that Matoi gave the chance for Clarus to recover and summon her powers.

Wow what an entrance for Matoi

I love the fact that Matoi's first reaction isn't to shoot like most people do but diplomacy.

Looks next episode will introduce Clarus's reason for fighting and also give Matoi a reason to fight.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 19, 2016 10:53 PM

Jan 2011
this show is decent like the music and the animation is kinda nice
Oct 20, 2016 11:31 AM

Jul 2016
I can understand people may feel bad about stuff like animation (which though I feel it's still good) and fanservice (is now every naked scene supposed to be fanservice? I don't think so but one sometimes wonders). But to say this series is "bland", as some have put it, sounds frankly excessive to me.

The characters are surprisingly interesting and not stereotyped for a Mahou Shoujo series. In particular:

1) We finally get a main character who is not an all-loving heroine! I don't know about you, but after years of carbon copies of the same archetype like Nanoha, Madoka, Yuuna, and the MC of MS Raising Project (whose name I can't even recall right now), I got pretty sick of it. To finally see a character react - like, I dunno, a normal person? - to the whole Mahou Shoujo business is a breath of fresh air
2) Adults are not useless! Ofc, they're not in there doing the big fighting, but at least they're not fully out of the loop either like in Puella Magi Madoka. Or female-only (mostly) like in Lyrical Nanoha. Not that it's bad how it is in those two shows, but I appreciate Soushin Shoujo Matoi being different in this sense

I'm sure there may be more points ot make, but I wanna keep my post short-ish. The bottom line is, Soushin Shoujo may appear to have "bland characters" when compared to, I dunno, Death Parade maybe. But as far as Mahou Shoujo series go (especially over the last decade), it's pretty much among the very best. Or are you coming here and telling me Lyrical Nanoha, Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero, or Mahou Shoujo Raising Project have a better cast? It seems to me that, to put it bluntly, many of the characters from SS Matoi supporting cast are less flat or "bland" than several Mahou Shoujo main characters from other shows (Yuuki Yuuna is a Hero or Umi Monogatari, anyone?)
ZaratorOct 20, 2016 12:12 PM
Oct 20, 2016 12:52 PM

Aug 2014
Nice break down!

I don't understand people calling this bland, maybe they only watch anime for super-dramatic plot, action or fanservice and aren't interested in characters? I have a fair few friends like that. They miss out on the best parts imo haha
Oct 21, 2016 1:28 AM

Dec 2015
Beings from another dimension? Always liked this kind of thing (I know it's "worn out" for most people)
I don't understand yet why the other warrior girl seems to draw her powers differently than Matoi (and later Yuma) but this will be likely explained in her coming past story.
About Shingo being the genetic father, I am a bit disappointed.

Enjoyment: 3/5
Estimated score : 6/10 (+1) This is starting to look like a possibly decent series, great.
Oct 21, 2016 1:24 PM

Nov 2015
I loved Yuma in this episode

Oct 21, 2016 6:05 PM

Jul 2009
Meh, I didn't really like this episode that much. We got a bit of explanation from Luciela, but honestly everyone acted pretty dumb this episode ... like Clarus not fighting back until the end for some reason, everyone just WALKING away from the demon, and then of course everyone just letting Matoi waltz back in there. I guess we got some good tidbits like the Creed/Anti-Creed thing and how Matoi and Shingo lived apart for 10 years, which would sort of explain their relationship I guess. Still, I hope next episode gets a bit better :P
Oct 21, 2016 9:15 PM

Oct 2008
Nice Action Episode!
Matoi joined the fight and helped Claris.
on the next ep looks like the fight isn't over and another stronger foe suddenly appeared!
OST is a bit nice on this show!
And yes, as what others comments, Creed Killer looks like Earl Millenium!
4/5.

Oct 22, 2016 3:35 AM

Jun 2014
This series is fucking great, probably my second favorite from this season so far. It's a shame almost no one is watching it.
:3
Oct 22, 2016 9:19 AM

May 2012
Good episode. The rating should be higher
Oct 22, 2016 12:43 PM

Aug 2013
I like how Matoi is clearly a very powerful person, but I also like that just because she got powers doesn't mean she knows how to use any of them yet.
Oct 23, 2016 2:11 PM
Mar 2013
is that tessho genda who is the seiyuu of creed killer
Oct 24, 2016 4:09 AM

Apr 2015
Matoi + Yuma combo is just adorable.
>I had no brain when I was 12
>Then everyone must had no brain when they were 12
>I experimented 100 samples and proved that they had no brain when they were 12
>Therefore children cannot consent

This is what science has done to humanity.
Oct 24, 2016 2:19 PM
Sep 2015
This was a really flashy episode! I couldn't keep my eyes opened...
Oct 25, 2016 7:56 AM
Mar 2016
I don't get why the score is 6.46.

What's wrong with it? The art is nice, the characters are cute, everything else is cute too. Are people hating it because they're hardcore with their own religions?
Oct 26, 2016 3:43 AM

Nov 2012
a much better episode than the previous two, it helps that there was less unnecessary fanservice.
Oct 27, 2016 2:45 AM
Feb 2013
TehSnawn said:
I'm sure Claris is going to be the "avenger" category

she looks like a cute jeanne alter
Oct 30, 2016 2:37 PM

Dec 2012
It was a fun slice of life episode until the last part. I think it can be good that Matoi's power was discovered because she will surely learn how to use her power
Nov 10, 2016 7:22 AM

Nov 2011
Definitely, it still fails to make me partaker the plot, it is too jarring the combination that you want to accomplish in the narrative. Quality not constant drawings, one of the best scenes. I hope it can better tailor in the future, as it is now, it's not that great.
Nov 30, 2016 6:09 AM

Apr 2009
Disgusting incest and pedophilia propaganda. If it stays like that, I'll have to drop.
Dec 13, 2016 11:25 AM

Jul 2009
This episode was a bit better than the other ones...gonna try some more.

Renato said:
Disgusting incest and pedophilia propaganda. If it stays like that, I'll have to drop.

I know, they kinda ruined it with that boob grab scene in the 1st or 2nd episode...
Mar 21, 2017 1:45 AM

Nov 2013
So we have three factions: Luciela's group, Anti-Creed and the demons. Interesting.

How Claris and the dude observed Matoi after the bank incident was pretty creepy.
TheBigGuyMar 21, 2017 2:08 AM
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Mar 21, 2017 2:17 AM

Nov 2013
Renato said:

Incest propaganda? Just nope! And you don't know what pedophilia means. Stop using words without knowing the meaning.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi

More topics from this board

Poll: » Soushin Shoujo Matoi Episode 12 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 20, 2016

47 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Oct 20, 2021 5:27 AM

Poll: » Soushin Shoujo Matoi Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2016

35 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Oct 20, 2021 4:30 AM

Poll: » Soushin Shoujo Matoi Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2016

46 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Oct 19, 2021 4:20 AM

Poll: » Soushin Shoujo Matoi Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 4, 2016

108 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Oct 18, 2021 11:22 PM

Poll: » Soushin Shoujo Matoi Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Nov 29, 2016

26 by RukakoisBestGirl »»
Oct 30, 2020 10:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.