Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: Second Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 17, 2013 8:24 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

She's back~ I remember her from Nisemonogatari.

Decent start to this new arc imo. Nice to see Shinobu in this obviously along with Araragi-kun. I just love the OST of this episode though. Looks like Shinobu and Araragi traveled through time. All my S;G vibes. I'm pretty curious how well this arc will go. So far, I'm hooked~

Shinobu is cute as hell :>
Aug 17, 2013 8:33 AM

Nov 2012
finally!! some real episode! XD I have been waiting for this! XD
grr.. I'm fired up like karen now XD LOL! XD

nice to see ononoki in this episode.. hmm never thought if she were human if I'm not wrong.. I need the sub to make sure of it :p

and the most of all.. shinobu and araragi XD
Aug 17, 2013 8:34 AM

Sep 2012
Yotsugi speaks a bit differently compared to Nise.....
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Aug 17, 2013 8:39 AM

Apr 2013
Wow, I didn't expect to see Ononoki this episode. And I started kind of late, who was Araragi talking to in the beginning of the episode? Was it Yozuru?

I'm beyond happy to see Shinobu, she's so cute. That scene where Shinobu made that doorway to time travel was pretty intense.

The scenery and animation this episode was superb. All the detailing they put into the setting is amazing. Great intro episode for the new arc.
Aug 17, 2013 8:56 AM
Dec 2012
LOL@"Nobuemon" Wonder what those Baobab trees stood for. A long period? The art was impressive always, especially in the last half. Didn't imagine they would travel back in time eleven years. Curious to see how they handle it in next episode.
eminagnamAug 17, 2013 9:03 AM
Aug 17, 2013 10:32 AM

Sep 2012
Mills said:
Wow, I didn't expect to see Ononoki this episode. And I started kind of late, who was Araragi talking to in the beginning of the episode? Was it Yozuru?
That's Ougi Oshino! Ougi 扇 means folding fan. She is played by Mizuhashi Kaori.

85 pages on the dot. 4 episodes for this arc so it is moving a bit faster through the novel than shorter Neko Shiro did with 5 episodes.
hpulleyAug 17, 2013 11:03 AM
Aug 17, 2013 10:44 AM

Nov 2012
mugimugi said:
So is that episode 6 or 7?

it is supposed to be episode 7 now,, well..I dont really know.. what important is.. we can watch the new arc now XD
Aug 17, 2013 11:08 AM

Nov 2011
Aug 17, 2013 11:16 AM

Jun 2013
AAAND OUGI IS A GIRL. CALLED IT.
Aug 17, 2013 11:50 AM

Aug 2008
Looks like some fine story finally. Quite frankly I always hated Kanbaru and both Hitagi and Hanekawa were quite boring lately, so it's a nice chance of pace to see a story with Shinobu, Mayoi and Araragi.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Aug 17, 2013 11:54 AM

May 2013
Can't wait for the next episode!
Aug 17, 2013 11:58 AM

Feb 2012
Awesome.
Aug 17, 2013 12:04 PM

May 2012
Yum...Shinobu. And Time Travelling Araragi? lol sounds fun.
Aug 17, 2013 12:08 PM

Jul 2013
I liked when Yotsugi would say "I said with a posed look", guess she just got tired of it. She is very different compared to when she appeared in Nisemonogatari. Also, I didn't think Shinobu would have the ability of time travel, but it appears that they traveled to the wrong time, now this will be interesting to see what happens next =)
Aug 17, 2013 12:28 PM

Sep 2012
mugimugi said:
45Ravager said:
I liked when Yotsugi would say "I said with a posed look", guess she just got tired of it. She is very different compared to when she appeared in Nisemonogatari.

Someone told her saying that sounds stupid.
She watched the Sisters Arc of Railgun S...

Says episode #7 on the storyboard and note the filename thumb_yokoku07.jpg:

http://www.monogatari-series.com/2ndseason/special/index.html
hpulleyAug 17, 2013 12:41 PM
Aug 17, 2013 12:35 PM
Sep 2011
Who is this Ougi Oshino? I don't recall her being mentioned before in this franchise but this episode just tosses her in without a proper introduction, seemingly expecting us to know who she is. But well, Shaft and NisioIsin have never been known for doing things conventionally and after looking up her character description I'm glad her entrance was done this way.

Anyway, she did quite an impression on me, possessing a similar appearance to Hanekawa and the sharp tongue of Senjougahara. Her face is so unlikely any other in this series, her pale face and dead eyes make it seem as if she is wearing a mask, bearing no resemblance to her supposed uncle Oshino Meme.
What she says isn't any less interesting with the contrasting facts about traffic lights. The "trivia" about the three seconds of no lights during the intersections of those are very likely to play an important role for the circumstances surrounding Hachikuji and tie in very well into the whole time-traveling business with the disrupted light signals.

I also liked how Ononoki Yotsugi pointed out the analogies between her, Hachikuji and Araragi. All of them have died at some point but continued remaining conscious, either by becoming immortal, getting reincarnated or continuing existing as a ghost with human origins. No doubt that this conversation was the cause for Araragi pondering about the Snail girl during the time travel ritual and influencing the final outcome as a result. Speaking of Ononoki, it's interesting to see another character after Hanekawa to getting her catch phrase dismanteled, though in this case her catchphrase has been conflicting with her appearance to begin with. So many contrasts in this episode.
EudaimoniaAug 17, 2013 2:04 PM
Aug 17, 2013 12:48 PM

Feb 2012
I dare say they arent in Kansas anymore
Aug 17, 2013 1:30 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I can see where this is going. Very interesting. Shinobu is one powerful being for sure being able to manipulate energy to time travel like that.

I wonder if the new girl with the dead eyes is going to become an important player at any point in the series? She was pretty smart yet something about was a bit...off, I'd say.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Aug 17, 2013 1:37 PM

Jul 2013
Pretty neat first episode of a new arc. Should be really interesting how they're going to get out of the 11 years into the past thing.

Ougi's dark, blank, black eyes honestly creeped the living shit outta me during that whole first scene XD
Aug 17, 2013 1:48 PM

Nov 2008
Don't be surprised. It's just a simple time traveling...
Aug 17, 2013 1:49 PM
Apr 2010
OMGAHD. CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THIS IS THE START TO MAYOI JIANGSHI WHEN

I ask because Kabukimonogatari is right after Nekomonogatari: shiro
Aug 17, 2013 1:49 PM
Sep 2011
mugimugi said:
Eudaimonia said:
Who is this Ougi Oshino? I don't recall her being mentioned before in this franchise but this episode just tosses her in without a proper introduction, seemingly expecting us to know who she is. But well, Shaft and NisioIsin have never been for doing things conventionally and after looking up her character description I'm glad her entrance was done this way. Anyway, she did quite an impression on me, possessing a similar appearance to Hanekawa and the sharp tongue of Senjougahara. Her face is so unlikely any other in this series, her pale face and dead eyes make it seem as if she is wearing a mask, bearing no resemblance to her supposed uncle Oshino Meme. What she says isn't any less interesting. The "trivia" about the three seconds of no lights during the intersections of traffic lights are very likely to play an important role for the circumstances surrounding Hachikuji and tie in very well into the whole time-traveling business with the disrupted light signals.

It's her first appearance in the series.

Oh I'm sure it is, I certainly wouldn't forget someone with such a distinct character design like this.
I was just baffled (and also pleased to see) how nonchalantly she was introduced to the audience. There weren't any more words needed to convey her personality or who she was because all of that could be picked up simply from the dialogue.
Aug 17, 2013 1:53 PM

Feb 2008
This is why time travel is dangerous lol

45Ravager said:
I liked when Yotsugi would say "I said with a posed look", guess she just got tired of it. She is very different compared to when she appeared in Nisemonogatari. Also, I didn't think Shinobu would have the ability of time travel, but it appears that they traveled to the wrong time, now this will be interesting to see what happens next =)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Aug 17, 2013 2:03 PM

Nov 2012
Laughed so hard at the teaching superior quote. XD Wanted to see some senjougahara but oh well, was a big surprise to see Yotsugi once again, liked it.
Going to be fun to see everyone as kids. XD

Aug 17, 2013 2:09 PM

Dec 2012
the blue-haired girl reminds me so much of utsu-tsu from gatchaman crowds.

all in all a really nice episode. i didn't like the beginning so much, but the rest was nice. i was also glad to see shinobu again. i always love to see her interact with araragi :)
and this whole time-traveling stuff sounds really interesting. i also liked how they talked about the paradoxes right at the beginning (if there are two versions of araragi now and if they will be able to travel back into the past again if they use the energy from the past now and all this) because that is something every show deals with differently and it's nice to clarify these things right from the beginning (well, shinobu didn't seem to be so sure about all this, so maybe she's wrong, but we'll figure that out sooner or later, i guess).
Aug 17, 2013 2:09 PM

Oct 2012
Oh, I wasn't expecting Ougi to look like that at all. She genuinely looks creepy, though I guess that's just the eyes that make her seem that way. I wonder what role she'll have in this arc...

Well, I enjoyed this episode and I'm really looking forward to see what happens in Kabukimonogatari. I've only read what's translated of this arc, which is about half, so I'll be in the dark from the next episode onwards. Also, I wonder when we'll get to see the new OP?
KoybzAug 17, 2013 2:14 PM
Aug 17, 2013 2:14 PM

Jan 2008
That OST when Araragi was talking to Yotsugi while eating icecream reminded me of FF7's ancient forest theme.

Kinda sad there wasn't a opening. Was expecting a new one. The ending visuals appear to be different though.

Anyways, all this because Araragi didn't do his homework. Summer homework is serious business.
Aug 17, 2013 2:15 PM
Aug 2010
mugimugi said:
45Ravager said:
I liked when Yotsugi would say "I said with a posed look", guess she just got tired of it. She is very different compared to when she appeared in Nisemonogatari.

Someone told her saying that sounds stupid.

「"I felt something was odd, but I think you were talking in a slightly unusual way the last time we met. I mean, you were always adding "I said with a posed look" at the end of your lines or something."
"Shut up."
Someone said concisely in a low voice.
The voice was so low I didn't recognize it.
It was overflowing with emotions.
Regret, or distress, bitter emotions.
"That's my dark history……"
"…………"
I see. So that's how it is.
She realized how pathetic it was……
I don't know if she realized it by herself, or if someone pointed it out to her, but somehow, from the faintness of that voice, it appears to be the latter case……
"I will never make another posed look……"
"No, it's not like you ever did in the first place. ……So, Ononoki-chan,"
I wanted to poke fun at her a little more, but I restrained myself after giving some consideration to her feelings, and quickly moved on to the next topic.」

harrysoung said:
OMGAHD. CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THIS IS THE START TO MAYOI JIANGSHI WHEN

I ask because Kabukimonogatari is right after Nekomonogatari: shiro

Kabukimonogatari = Mayoi Jiangshi
so yes, we should be seeing

Pretty excited about this, only read the translated chapters of Kabukimonogatari but this is supposedly the best of the series and the one that cements the nature of Araragi and Shinobu's relationship. There is actually not much Mayoi in the book at all btw
TwEeDAug 17, 2013 2:20 PM
Aug 17, 2013 2:15 PM

Sep 2012
If you read the novel you'd know that...

And speaking of time yes, no time for the OP this episode!

And technically they aren't Loli versions, they're themselves 11 years earlier as children! There is a difference you know...
Blackbird said:
This is why time travel is dangerous lol

45Ravager said:
Aug 17, 2013 2:18 PM
Apr 2010
From the end of Nekomonogatari Shiro, Araragi came with a badass sword. Does this mean he knows how to fight now? Will he stop being a punching bag and actually fight back and WIN for a change? Just in case a fight happens
Aug 17, 2013 2:21 PM
Aug 2010
harrysoung said:
From the end of Nekomonogatari Shiro, Araragi came with a badass sword. Does this mean he knows how to fight now? Will he stop being a punching bag and actually fight back and WIN for a change? Just in case a fight happens

There is a frame in the episode that pops up briefly where shinobu and him are both standing with swords in each hand
Aug 17, 2013 2:22 PM

Aug 2009
harrysoung said:
You are missing the point.
So far in Bake,Nise and Neko Black he didnt want to hurt the other side.I DONT know what he faced during Neko Shirou but I know that if HAS to fight then he CAN fight.Like in the opening scene of Bake ep1.
Aug 17, 2013 2:26 PM

Oct 2012
TwEeD said:
harrysoung said:

There is a frame in the episode that pops up briefly where shinobu and him are both standing with swords in each hand

Aug 17, 2013 2:28 PM

Sep 2012
^^^ How many of those swords can Shinobu swallow? LOL
Aug 17, 2013 2:30 PM

Sep 2010
A very strong and cliffhanger episode to start a new arc ^_^
Aug 17, 2013 2:31 PM

Jul 2012
Damn, that's a really interesting start to this arc. It was something I totally did not expect.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Nov 2012
Damn ive never seen anybody fuck themself that hard before. Steins gate situation was 10x better than this at least he could send text to stop himself but araragi is screwed with a capital S.
Apr 2010
ssjokg said:
harrysoung said:
So far in Bake,Nise and Neko Black he didnt want to hurt the other side.I DONT know what he faced during Neko Shirou but I know that if HAS to fight then he CAN fight.Like in the opening scene of Bake ep1.

I believe a lack of skill is also a large part of the reason why he loses his fights. For example, that EXTREMELY colorful fight he had against Suruga when she was possessed by the Devil. She was supposed to be free from her curse as long as her wish of killing Araragi didn't get fulfilled. He couldn't afford to be a punching bag there but he still got destroyed anyway.

I'm just REALLY hyped up after he made that appearance with the sword. Stuck in my head, badass Araragi mode.
Aug 17, 2013 2:41 PM

Aug 2009
harrysoung said:
ssjokg said:
harrysoung said:

I believe a lack of skill is also a large part of the reason why he loses his fights. For example, that EXTREMELY colorful fight he had against Suruga when she was possessed by the Devil. She was supposed to be free from her curse as long as her wish of killing Araragi didn't get fulfilled. He couldn't afford to be a punching bag there. But he still got destroyed anyway.

I'm just REALLY hyped up after he made that appearance with the sword. Stuck in my head, badass Araragi mode.

But he wasnt planning to beat her.Hec ould either let her(rainy devil) kill him(kinda next to impossible with his regeneration) or cut her arm.You know very well what he chose and the only reason he is alive is because of Meme.He cant NOT fight seriously and still NOT become a punching bag against something that strong.
Aug 17, 2013 2:55 PM

Aug 2012
Shinobu.............. finally have a proper screentime for her ...... <3....great to see ononoki as well.....how long has it been ..... >.< hanekawa was getting too much screentime.
Aug 17, 2013 3:02 PM

Jul 2010
It's finally time for Shinobu and Hachikuji (?)! i already love this arc, even though nothing much really happened yet.Also, a great moment with Arararararagi and Shinbu holding hands :D
Eh...yet another week of waiting.This show deserves longer episodes.
Aug 17, 2013 3:10 PM
Apr 2010
ssjokg said:

But he wasnt planning to beat her.Hec ould either let her(rainy devil) kill him(kinda next to impossible with his regeneration) or cut her arm.You know very well what he chose and the only reason he is alive is because of Meme.He cant NOT fight seriously and still NOT become a punching bag against something that strong.

Maybe, but his fights are sooooooo one sided that even if he wanted to win, I don't think he could.
Aug 17, 2013 3:18 PM

Feb 2012
Nice opening of the new arc, looking forward to this time travel stuff.
Aug 17, 2013 3:20 PM
Jun 2013
Great start for another amazing arc.

Shinobu was just purely awesome. Loved every second of her screen time ^^.

Really excited for what is to come!
Aug 17, 2013 3:35 PM

Mar 2013
harrysoung said:

Yes Kabukimonogatari and Onimonogatari will cover Araragi's timespan during Neko Shiro.
Aug 17, 2013 3:49 PM

Feb 2013
So, Arararararagi is stuck 11 years in the past now. Here's to hoping I get to see something like Araragi trying to convince Senjougahara that he will be a good boyfriend in the future.
Aug 17, 2013 3:57 PM

Dec 2012
Kinda got the Steins;Gate feels in this episode. Great for Shinobu to finally get some long awaited screen time, though i would like to see her in full form :) put araragi and hitagi up and it will be really good :)
Aug 17, 2013 4:22 PM

Jul 2013
So Ononoki made an appearance from last time in nisemonogatari, that's awesome. Looks like this arc is going to be about Mayoi, I hope it will be interesting. It is nice to see a lot of screen time for Shinobu as well as Araragi which focus on them interacting.

Aug 17, 2013 5:04 PM

Dec 2009
Time travel always makes me interested.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Aug 17, 2013 5:50 PM

Jul 2013
nice~~
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 2, 2013

150 by SouthRzVa »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2013

211 by SouthRzVa »»
Yesterday, 6:33 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 3, 2013

408 by eblf2013 »»
Yesterday, 2:23 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2013

132 by SouthRzVa »»
May 16, 5:05 PM

Poll: » Monogatari Series: Second Season Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 6, 2013

433 by eblf2013 »»
May 14, 7:17 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.