Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Oct 18, 2007 9:56 PM

Oct 2006
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The beginning was very creepy and the rest of it was kind of strange. Still waiting for subs.
Oct 19, 2007 11:57 AM

Jul 2007
creepy in a good way?
Oct 21, 2007 8:32 AM

Apr 2007
itainteazy said:
Still waiting for subs.
逃げちゃ駄目だ。
Oct 21, 2007 1:22 PM

Jul 2007
Anyone know who going to sub it?
I've just read around and it perked my interests so yeah...
Oct 21, 2007 9:58 PM

Apr 2007
Shinsens subed it. I'm interested in watching it but I'm gonna hold out for the HD version so long as it doesnt take too long :P
Oct 22, 2007 12:32 AM

Jul 2007
I just watched it....its really creepy but it is piquing my interest...real good brain churner
[center]
Oct 22, 2007 2:04 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
eppyomega said:
...real good brain churner

Yep.

And that psychologist looks pretty damn similar to the one Tarou saw when he got kidnapped in his dream. I'm pretty sure his dreams sort of resemble what happned to him and his sister and the part he wants to remember is maybe what she said back then?

Definitely looking forward to more, especially since at least Genjo will do the HD subs.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Oct 22, 2007 9:27 AM

Jun 2007
Interesting first episode. Definitely looking forward to the next one. :D
Oct 22, 2007 9:35 AM

Sep 2007
I didn't know what the heck was going on. The girl at the end reminds me of Enma Ai... >.>
Oct 22, 2007 10:07 AM

Oct 2006
That was the best and most interesting episode from all the shows in the Fall season IMO.
I love the art, I loved how the episode was directed. Creepy and psychological. The characters seem quite interesting too. The only negative aspect I can think of is the OP theme. Really meh :P. But otherwise I'm pretty impressed. Definitely looking forward for more.
Oct 22, 2007 11:29 AM

Jul 2007
Very interesting first episode, it definitely has grabbed my attention.
Those astral projection type moments Taro has are pretty creepy and interesting, anyways I will be following this series very closely^^,
Oct 22, 2007 12:12 PM

Mar 2007
I might have to rewatch it, because I could not pay attention to the episode at all. It just has such a... slow feeling to it, which makes it seem boring to me. From what I watched, I didn't sense any creepy things in it... closet thing was the psychiatrist.
Oct 22, 2007 2:06 PM
Jun 2007
Some of you need to learn what Psychological means. This was NOT Psychological, at all. It was just artsy-crap. A horrible attempt at post-modern BS. The story didn't go anywhere. Horrible first episode. It's like some of you see it as "it's so weird and completely retarded that it MUST have some deep and psychological meaning to it all."

I bet this show will turn out to be a pile of crap, because Mushiuta was. And this show reminds me a LOT of Mushiuta.

Oct 22, 2007 2:44 PM

Oct 2006
AnimusNathan said:
Some of you need to learn what Psychological means. This was NOT Psychological, at all. It was just artsy-crap. A horrible attempt at post-modern BS. The story didn't go anywhere. Horrible first episode. It's like some of you see it as "it's so weird and completely retarded that it MUST have some deep and psychological meaning to it all."

I bet this show will turn out to be a pile of crap, because Mushiuta was. And this show reminds me a LOT of Mushiuta.
I was even going to put an argument, but after seeing your ratings there's no need. You win.
Oct 22, 2007 3:55 PM

Aug 2007
creepy but very interesting. Can't wait to see what happens.

I remember doing a little search on "Lucid Dreaming" and it is very interesting.
I think I might try it out ;P
Oct 22, 2007 3:58 PM

Aug 2007
Kayrhandros, allow me. Psychological in terms of media is used basically as a counterpoint to action, and has nothing to do with meaning whatsoever. Psychological thrillers or horrors therefore take place mostly in the minds and/or speech of the characters and are told through a focus on cinematography and dialogue, rather than the story being told through a focus on the character's actions. That is what makes (for example) Silence of the Lambs or Serial Experiments Lain psychological thrillers, the fact that for the most part, their stories are told and their atmospheres created through a mix of cinematography and dialogue. This, by that token, is pretty much textbook psychological. What it's not is postmodern; it seems fairly conventional in many ways, simply very polished in its execution.

It's certainly slow-moving, and I'm not at all certain I'll like this, but given that Production IG usually delivers very nicely, I think it deserves a few more episodes to get moving before I decide whether or not to abandon it. It's weird, but to call it retarded is ridiculously judgemental and impatient; there's clearly just more to it than can be explained in one episode, and anyway it's already obvious that Ghost Hound is not something that is going to hand out explanations on a plate.
Oct 22, 2007 4:04 PM

Jul 2007
Looks like this could be a pretty intense show, interesting so far. I really like the opening theme.
Oct 22, 2007 4:25 PM

Feb 2007
I didn't like Lain but this seems better....

The animation is nice, and it seems interesting...

So long as it still means something in the end, it'll be good.
Oct 22, 2007 4:38 PM

Sep 2007
I loved what I saw. Although it was slow-paced, it grabbed my attention 100%. Production IG doesn't disappoint at all. I'm sure the rest of the show will be the same. ^_^
Oct 22, 2007 4:40 PM

Jan 2007
This can turn out really interesting or really boring for me, but so far so good.
Oct 22, 2007 5:01 PM

Nov 2006
Faust721 said:
This can turn out really interesting or really boring for me, but so far so good.
I agree.
Makoto is so awesome....why am I drawn to ones named Makoto......sigh.
Oct 22, 2007 5:08 PM

Jun 2007
pretty nice ep as expected... what i really liked is the way they showed out-of-body experience.
Oct 22, 2007 9:52 PM
Sep 2007
windy said:
Faust721 said:
I agree.
Makoto is so awesome....why am I drawn to ones named Makoto......sigh.

Its a cute name? Lol beats me, I like the name though :P

Did you guys pay attention to the sound in this anime? Its jaw dropping! Never heard so much detail simply in the sound done for an anime! A really interesting show in this almost totally boring anime season (except for Gundam :P)
Oct 22, 2007 10:52 PM

Aug 2007
This one of the few new ones this season I've really been wanting to see and it didn't disapoint at all. Love the odd angles, in/out blurring, and overall style of the animation. Can't want to see where the story goes.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." R.I.P. Hunter S. Thompson
Oct 23, 2007 12:27 AM

Apr 2007
I probably would have enjoyed it more if i wasnt so sleep deprived while watching it (which was 5 minutes or so ago, my heads really paining... need sleep...)

But it was overall what i expected after watching the trailers, i bet im gonna really like this one as the episodes go on, pretty neat first ep, go production i.g again~
looking forward to more. ^^
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2007 1:38 AM
Jun 2007
Kayrhandros said:
AnimusNathan said:

I was even going to put an argument, but after seeing your ratings there's no need. You win.

Ad Hominem attack. Bravo.

Oh and to Yourmessagehere, I know it's not post-modern. At the time I was just really ticked off and I wasn't really thinking about what I was writing. Although I appreciate the constructive argument(for the most part). :P

I didn't really want to respond but apparently some people think disliking someone elses opinion is fair grounds to attack them. Mature, seriously.

Oct 23, 2007 5:00 AM

Aug 2007
I loved the opening and ending. I also loved the three main boys. It was a bit scary, but then again, I loved Jigoku Shoujo.
I gave it a 4 out of 5 because I actually expected something big to happen at the end, but it didn't. I'll continue to watch it and you never know, I might love it.
Oct 23, 2007 7:02 AM
Oct 2007
So far I'm seeing more potential in this than I have seen in most IG television offerings since Windy Tales, if only for how inherently visual the storytelling ends up being as even without dialogs the nuanced narrative keeps the main grasp of plot at the reach of those without understanding of Japanese... and that's something amazingly valuable in my book. Hell, I even got from my original RAW watching the fact that three guys are related to a tragedy in the past and that what I believe to be Tarou's sister died and left quite a strain in her family's relationship.

As for the mood, the Lain-ish vibes are there but they're rather understated and the whole thing is amazingly lighthearted in its overall mood. Like a cynic magical-realist take on the slice-of-life genre. Surprisingly I didn't feel the show as pretentious at all and it even stroke me as one of the most simplistically honest premiers of the shows Konata has composed in his career. Despite not so much happening during the episode you could guess there is a lot of subtext running behind the cast even without any kind of dialog. I also really enjoyed the dream sequences, they were rather nice and even the nightmarish scenes managed to be atmospherically involving without becoming creators of dementia tension.
Oct 23, 2007 7:11 AM

Aug 2007
SamuraiTom said:
I didn't know what the heck was going on. The girl at the end reminds me of Enma Ai... >.>
i was thinking the same thing XD. not rly sure yet if this anime is good or not. cant wait for the next ep XD
Oct 23, 2007 8:40 AM

Aug 2007
I liked it. I wasn't expecting too much story/character development in this episode so I wasn't disapointed. I thought the CG was very well done and blended into the anime to a point where it was bearly noticeable. This could be a great series if they get the transition from light to dark right, I think there is a good chance of that as Shirow is the creator.

Oct 23, 2007 9:17 AM

Jul 2007
I thought this episode was merely okay, but I see a lot of potential in the show, and I'm definately interested in seeing what will develop. I liked that the show is already aiming for a creepy atmosphere (via music and visuals mostly) but I don't think it's quite there yet.

oh, these little earthquakes
Oct 23, 2007 10:44 AM

Sep 2007
I liked it. The show really shows promise, lets just hope it can live up to what it promise, lets just hope it doesnt get cheezy
Oct 23, 2007 11:00 PM

May 2007
Its pretty dark and makes you think and wonder looking forward to next ep to see what happens =D
Oct 24, 2007 3:43 AM

Feb 2007
Siing said:
I probably would have enjoyed it more if i wasn't so sleep deprived while watching it

Yep, same thing for me.

But still, a decent start. I knew it was going to start slow, and I have a feeling it will take a couple episodes before this show begins to get really good. Animation and Music was great.
Oct 24, 2007 4:23 AM

Sep 2007
AnimusNathan said:
I didn't really want to respond but apparently some people think disliking someone elses opinion is fair grounds to attack them. Mature, seriously.

Seriously, if you're so mature, then why do you fuss about it? -__-

Plus, you've just seen an episode and you generalize right away. Mature, seriously.

EP01:
This is one of the anime I've been looking forward to. For the first episode, I admit I got... bored. There were too many "silent scenes" making the pacing of the story rather slow, but the things they flash back about the past of the main character and such makes one interested to know about it. Looking forward to see how things will unfold.
Oct 24, 2007 12:36 PM

Oct 2007
I wouldn't call the pace slow, I'd say that it takes its time to build up the tension, and it does it very well. Have really high expectations on this show. Ought to be a masterpiece!
Oct 24, 2007 8:41 PM

Sep 2007
Agronopolos said:
I wouldn't call the pace slow, I'd say that it takes its time to build up the tension, and it does it very well. Have really high expectations on this show. Ought to be a masterpiece!

I know that style. I've watched a ton of titles already. My point is, they made use of that "technique" too much.
Oct 25, 2007 11:00 PM

Jul 2007
I watched this show with no exposure to this series other than Masamune Shirow's interview on Production IG's website and little idea what to expect. I don't like Lain and I'm not a Ghost in the Shell fangirl but I enjoyed this first episode immensely. I didn't find it either confusing or boring. I think this first episode did a very good job explaining most of the mysteries introduced and it does it in a visual way. For example, I can deduce that Tarou's dreams are supposed to be real, the girl can see people/things that are not there but nonetheless real, and Oogami's backstory though none of it was spelled out by the script. The evidence is all there for you to connect the dots on your own. Obviously the "why" is not clear since this is the first episode but the "what" is.
Oct 27, 2007 8:13 AM

May 2007
Siing said:
I probably would have enjoyed it more if i wasnt so sleep deprived while watching it (which was 5 minutes or so ago, my heads really paining... need sleep...)

Ahh same issue with me. I was sleepy and the ep was moving quite slowly. Some of the sounds was giving me a headache because of how sleepy I was >.>. But it looks like this series COULD show promise. So far though, I'm not impressed.
Oct 28, 2007 9:38 PM
Jun 2007
SamuraiTom said:
The girl at the end reminds me of Enma Ai... >.>

That's exactly what I thought as soon as I saw her.
Oct 29, 2007 9:57 AM

May 2007
What should I say...

Faust721 said:
Oct 29, 2007 1:03 PM

Oct 2007
The incredible use of sounds in the first episode has highly impressed me --- though that was kinda expected. I'll be watching the second episode sometime tonight. I should be as pleased.
Oct 29, 2007 10:22 PM

Oct 2007
Well, pretty much everything i thought about this episode has been said already, but here goes. First of all I absolutely loved the opening song, it reminds me of some other song in english that i cant place the name of but in any case it was good. I noticed right away the huge attention to detail on the background sound effects, i bet they spent like an entire week just recording people walking on floors. o.o; The dreaming outside of his body is rather interesting, as I've had a couple experiences like that myself in the past. The episode did seem to move pretty slowly which isnt entirely a bad thing, but not so great for a first episode i think... Also, it kind of annoyed me in the shinsen sub, they translated yakusoku as "date", seems like theyre trying to force makoto's character off as gay. Anyways, this definatly seems like an interesting series so far. We'll see what future episodes bring.

edit: even if you liked the opening theme, dont bother with the album. jesus her other songs are annoying as hell!
ShikenOct 30, 2007 12:05 AM
Nov 13, 2007 5:42 AM

Aug 2007
It was a bit slow-paced but grabbed my interest. The art was great, and wow, the sound was really excellent(!) in conveying a creepy mood throughout the episode. Hmm...liked the opening theme too, while the closing theme felt like a lullaby. If this keeps up, I'm definitely checking out the soundtrack.

Also, I really enjoyed the dream sequences / OBE scenes. They give off a really unique atmosphere and perspective by using odd angles and a first-person viewpoint. ^^ It's really done well.

I'm glad I picked up this show now. I've always been fascinated by dreams, so I'm definitely looking forward to watching this. ^_^

Edit: Just wanted to mention this, the psychiatrist is really creepy. It's his eyes, they seem like lifeless marble ones. @_@
gothicpsycheNov 13, 2007 5:53 AM
Apr 16, 2008 11:42 AM

Aug 2007
It's a bit creepy and mysterious. I still don't understand what's going on yet but I will in time.
Jul 6, 2008 2:42 AM

Jan 2008
The OP theme is kinda catchy. XD
pretty creepy.
the animation was great. XD
Aug 23, 2008 11:30 PM

May 2008
For how slow moving this show is, it's actually quite interesting.
Needs more mindfuck, less boring school and home life.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
Nov 1, 2008 8:15 PM

Oct 2008
Hum..in the beginning i was kinda confused a little bit ~~" not even creepy as mentioned by many here...(the only thing which give me the creeps was this psychologist...he and his hairdo IS creepy lol...)
Mhh nothing more to say at thispoint, but could get very interesting
Dec 26, 2008 6:09 AM

Jan 2008
Lynchian levels of sound editing. Really liked this episode. Did feel like the longest twenty minute episode I've ever watched for some reason, but I enjoyed it.

Great soundtrack.

Character art doesnt suit the story at all though, wish it was different.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Feb 11, 2009 9:17 PM

Dec 2008
I have mixed reactions for this show right now.
This episode was very confusing, and I could not tell what was going on half the time.
I love the idea of Lucid dreaming. And I would like to study dreams when I grow up.
So, I will watch the second episode.
This is either going to be something I love or hate.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost Hound Episode 20 Discussion

naikou - Apr 14, 2008

40 by susururu »»
Mar 31, 5:26 PM

Poll: » Ghost Hound Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

nihil - Apr 22, 2008

150 by omorashi »»
Dec 29, 2023 9:49 PM

» How many episodes before it's gets good??

RjtheGreat14 - Nov 1, 2023

8 by RjtheGreat14 »»
Dec 28, 2023 6:59 AM

Poll: » Ghost Hound Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

melancholy - Feb 10, 2008

52 by Namiszon »»
Nov 22, 2023 6:41 PM

Poll: » Ghost Hound Episode 19 Discussion

Uuchie - Apr 1, 2008

39 by tingy »»
Sep 28, 2023 10:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.