Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 16, 2011 1:47 PM

Aug 2010
Character art&animation sucked, but the backgrounds were amazing :O Really liked Ringo in this episode, I want her to stay with Shoma :D

The plot deepens and I get even more confused about what is going on XD
How will they get the diary back if they don't know who has it now? :/
Sep 16, 2011 2:06 PM
Jun 2011
AidanAK47 said:
What interests me though is that while Kanba was being lead down the stairs someone else contacted Ringo and collected the diary. So if Masako was in the Basement....who collected the diary?

My impression was that while Kanba was going down from the terrace Masako made the call to Ringo then rushed from ground floor to the basement getting there just before Kanba entered.
Sep 16, 2011 2:35 PM

Jul 2010
GhostReader1714 said:
Uh.... might i point out something? it's No.1 that was fishing the panties and being the pervert and all. No.2 was with Shoma all the time.

So i wasn't the only who thought it was No.1.
Sep 16, 2011 3:18 PM

Aug 2010
This was a great mind ****ing episode! The character art changes were very noticeable, and Kanba seems to look very Asian like. While for Himari, just slight changes that seems to make her a bit more youthful looking. The backgrounds were extraordinary as well!

My mind = blown when Masako dived in for the big kiss scene, same with Esmeralda! I say this series will be the Steins;Gate of Summer 2011 in a positive way, imo. :D
Sep 16, 2011 3:22 PM

Jul 2007
This show continues to hurt my head every week. >_<

The penguins make each episode enjoyable though and the twists are welcomed, I guess, but I really have come to dislike all the main characters. They're all just hiding things from each other & continue to wear these facades in front of each other. I feel inclined to say "Happy Family my ass." :P
Ani-BlastSep 16, 2011 3:31 PM
きみ は だれ だい?
ぼく は ラムボ!
ぼく は だれ だい?
きみ は ラムボ!
ラムボ なんでし!
Sep 16, 2011 3:25 PM

Aug 2010
Quality of this ep was pretty horrible, I hope they fix that a lot on the blurays.
Sep 16, 2011 3:29 PM
May 2009
Why can't I hold all this QUALITY. Seriously, episodes were usually done neatly, what happened this time?
I guess the Mario part was pretty obvious, huh? But I still feel cool for predicting it, derp. Also, I still think he's that "fated person" of Himari's.

Esmeralda <3 perfect name, seriously. Also I lol'd at penguins when "mouth rape" happened.

Also, now what Natsume wants? She began "I want..." and then kissed Kanba, and then there was that title "because I love him", she wants Kanba? But what does that have to do with the diary part again? Is she in a similar situation as Takakura siblings, with her younger brother being sick or something and searching for Penguindrum? And what is her "Project M", because I guess it's not bearing someone's... wait. DOES PROJECT M CONTAIN KANBA AND NATSUME GETTING LAID? I'm in.
Sep 16, 2011 5:12 PM

Apr 2009
All i really have to say right now is that im starting to warm up to Ringo's character a lot more than i did early on. As for episode 10, it was quite good. Can't get enough of those penguins either doing their thing.lol. This show has really turned into a must watch for me.
Sep 16, 2011 5:30 PM

Mar 2011
Why is Kanba so ugly in this episode? ;___;

This episode is so-so, not much speculation because I'm too dense for that.I'm happy that finally there's some Kanba x Natsume though. I totally ship those two. They make a good match. And their penguins too
And Ringo is getting closer with Shouma here. Although it seems that she's not giving up with the whole Takakura-sensei thingy (next week's preview), it seems that she sees Shouma in a different light now. I like, I like.

One thing that caught me is when Himari whispers at Kanba, saying that she "is at her destination already, so Kanba should stay with Shouma" or something like that.
I have this feeling that the sentence has double-meaning. Heck, I'm pretty SURE that it has a double-meaning.

EDIT: Thinking about Natsume, I keep thinking that she's Kanba's ex from her actions, even when she appeared for the first time. But since Mawaru is such a mind-fuck, I think my guess is wrong.
anaagaSep 16, 2011 5:36 PM
Sep 16, 2011 5:53 PM

Jan 2011
Ok this is definitely the best show of the season. Now that Ringo doesn't seem so creepy and stalker-ish I don't mind her, let's hope she doesn't have a relapse. They did a different mix of the ending song, it sounds pretty good although I prefer the original.
Sep 16, 2011 6:01 PM

Apr 2010
Orulyon said:
this episode had a very poor art. i hope they improve it next week.

As for the episode, im just glad that Shou is okay:) Im Kanba x Himari, so i didnt enjoy the kiss between Kanba x Natsume.

Ringo definitely is AWESOME.

im sry but u support incest?? but anyways what ever floats ur boat, ur entitled to ur opinion xD

i for one didnt like that at all, almost dropped the show cos of that very first episode... glad i didnt though!

anyways roll on next week :D
Sep 16, 2011 6:05 PM

Nov 2007
aaaaaaand pantysniffer no. 1 strikes yet again. i love how he pretty much lost his soul when he got those granny panties LMAO.
Sep 16, 2011 6:34 PM

May 2009
To see Kanba on the wrong end of such a one-sided fight (if you could call it that), was a little shocking. Masako got him good.
Poor Shouma...though the live feeds were hilarious.
Ringo!!! What happened to the ultra creepy crazy girl we've all come to know? LOL.
Sep 16, 2011 6:38 PM

Apr 2011
I hope Ringo doesn't make 180 to become normal girl, her yandere and obsession with the "perfect family" is what enticed me continue this show, but I'll settle with Shouma x Ringo w/ hint of yandere.

To be frank, I don't support incest between the brother and sister, even if they might not be blood related.
Sep 16, 2011 6:56 PM

Sep 2011
I'm interested in Kanba x Himari... I wouldn't say I ship them, but that kiss in the first episode had me intrigued. :x I also like Kanba x Shouma. Considering that director is Ikuhara I wouldn't be surprised if both happened at some point. XD
Sep 16, 2011 7:22 PM

Nov 2009
So Ringo has lost her Crazy Bitch title to Natsume..
Sep 16, 2011 8:42 PM

Jun 2010
Blacksaber said:

Looks that way, hell I ain't complaining about it. XD

Man this anime rocks, not one episode disappointed me so far.
Sep 16, 2011 9:18 PM

May 2011
perverted penguins still make me lul

Sep 16, 2011 9:50 PM

Jan 2011
greenmush said:
aww man oh well it was kinda obvious that Natsume and Kanba had something going on with each other , but who is the person that took the diary? Natsume couldnt be in 2 places right? hmmm weird oh well

i'm still very confused with this show,but if you look closely when ringo drops the dairy the person that picks it up has short hair or is tied up and is in a long dress my only guess would be that blonde girl the teacher married :S.
Sep 16, 2011 10:07 PM

Sep 2011
Yeah! Shoma is alive~ TTWTT
*Is happy*
But Dang! He goes through a lot of crap. >__<

I hope Ringo will snap out of it and be badass again~

Repeat forever. Promise forever
That you'll keep me in your heart.
Sep 16, 2011 11:53 PM

Apr 2011
Blacksaber said:
That would suck, I hope Ringo snap out of it and be crazy bad ass again, or maybe for the right reasons! XD

Natsume so far, is stirring up the commotion, but otherwise, she ain't interesting, unless her back-story covers as much as Ringo screen time >_>
Sep 17, 2011 1:28 AM

Jun 2009
vansonbee said:
Blacksaber said:
That would suck, I hope Ringo snap out of it and be crazy bad ass again, or maybe for the right reasons! XD

Natsume so far, is stirring up the commotion, but otherwise, she ain't interesting, unless her back-story covers as much as Ringo screen time >_>
Judging from the preview (She knows she can kill), I think that you'll get your wish next episode.

But keep in mind that Ringo wasn't really that compelling of a character when we first met her in episode two either. Natsume has gotten very little development so far and we're not even halfway finished.

Although, I'm not sure who put Natsume as a main character. She really shouldn't be yet since we waited until episode 6 to upgrade Ringo even when we already had novel spoilers to confirm her importance. I guess the Natsume fans are a bit more impatient than the Ringo fans. I find that to be incredibly ironic.
Sep 17, 2011 2:32 AM

Sep 2008
Natsume X Kanba nahh...
For me I was cheer on...Kanba X Himari
L don't really care incest or not I think it more intersting this way
Sep 17, 2011 2:54 AM
Jun 2011
katsu044 said:
greenmush said:
aww man oh well it was kinda obvious that Natsume and Kanba had something going on with each other , but who is the person that took the diary? Natsume couldnt be in 2 places right? hmmm weird oh well

i'm still very confused with this show,but if you look closely when ringo drops the dairy the person that picks it up has short hair or is tied up and is in a long dress my only guess would be that blonde girl the teacher married :S.

Well if one of the conditions of project M is getting pregnant off the teacher then that would make a lot of sense, also explains why the voice had to be changed on the phone and Masako has got an accomplice who she talks on the phone with too...
Sep 17, 2011 5:48 AM

Nov 2008
the whole episodes art looked really strange or was that just me??
Sep 17, 2011 8:13 AM

Apr 2008
mrjiggles said:
SammyG said:
for whoever might be interested..the distorted tune actaully was from Antonin Dvoraks Symphonie No. 9 "From the new World", Movement II. Largo

Speaking of which, it's used in a crosswalk in Japan signaling "all clear to walk", according to this. It has to have some deeper meaning, I mean you can't use Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 for just anything.

Snowley said:

That tune really hurts ears.

Played in that way, yes, yes it does.

The tune, like the rest of the scene, is supposed to suggest nostalgia and act as a sort of trigger to make Kanba remember all the times he shared with with Natsume. That sort of clears up the whole "sniping" incident with the two ex-girlfriends a couple of episodes ago, too. The distortion seems to be suggesting that the negative times he had with Natsume in the past are overshadowing the pleasant ones. Or maybe they're just playing the music at a ridiculously loud volume.

I can't wait to see what happens when Ringo and Natsume meet. Ringo was pretty crafty, but could she put her love interest through a soul search of surreal proportions? I don't think so.
Sep 17, 2011 8:15 AM

Apr 2008
PnkRxPrncss said:
the whole episodes art looked really strange or was that just me??

No, there was some QUALITY animation to that episode. It was especially prevalent at the beginning to the point where it was distracting.
Sep 17, 2011 8:23 AM

Jun 2011
This show is getting more and more interesting by the episode. Although I don't fully understand what's going on I'm glad that it decided to get more....Serious, in a way.
Sep 17, 2011 8:33 AM

Jun 2009
Nevermind animation and art, this episode was so awesome that i couldn't care less for QUALITY.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Sep 17, 2011 8:39 AM

Aug 2010
These symbolism...insanity! @_@
Sep 17, 2011 8:40 AM

Feb 2009
Oh god, the art this episode was fucking awful. Normally I can let this stuff slide, but Kanba didn't even look like himself a lot of the time.

Anyway, glad to see Ringo becoming a bit more... considerate? Still not sure how to feel about ShomaxRingo (I still think this pairing will get trolled in the end and won't happen), but I might be warming up to it a bit.

I'm also glad to see the show getting more intense and serious. Blow me away, Penguin Drum, because I've been losing a tiny bit of interest since that first episode.
Sep 17, 2011 9:30 AM

Aug 2010
Kanba x Himari moment, Shouma x Ringo moments, Natsume x Kanba moment o_o
wow this episode was pretty good though I agree with the lower art quality not that it matters that much
I demand a background story between Natsume and Kanba as well as a proper intro to that Mario person DX
Ringo's pretty reasonable now, I don't know if that's a good or bad thing ._.
honestly now I wouldnt even be surprised if some weird pairing comes up =__=;
oh and lol @ #2 eating the thermometer + mercury poisoning
Sep 17, 2011 9:59 AM

Sep 2009
Aggghhh, the animation and art was tough to look at this episode. Ringo's decision seemed a bit out of character, but once again, Penguindrum leaves me with the thought of "gotta keep watching to find out more."
Sep 17, 2011 2:08 PM
Aug 2011
Great episode, a lot is revealed and a lot to ponder upon. Glad this show is longer, if it wasn't and was rushed it would of been terrible.
Sep 17, 2011 11:28 PM

Feb 2010
Ahhhh this SHOW. Excellent episode. Every single episode gives me a "0_0" moment, and that's a good thing.

I def think that was Yuri who picked up the diary... I KNEW that bia was no good!

The kiss(Natsume<33) was HOT and I really felt (imo) there was some flirty/sexy/tension between Himari x Kanba when she was knitting. I LOVE Kanba filled episodes.

Ringo's willingness to give up her precious diary made me REALLY respect her and actually like her. Poor Shouma... hit by a car... poisoned... and GAGGED....rough times for this guy!

Fantastic episode. This show is GOLD and I cannot wait to see more.

More mindf*ck... please?
Sep 18, 2011 1:31 AM

Aug 2008
Without the shadow of a doubt -- Vaginas are warm. LOLOLOLOLOL

MusashiRose said:
The kiss(Natsume<33) was HOT

Actually, that was kinda creepy. Too bad, Kanba didn't take the chance to... oh.. I dunno... grab her to see what was going on.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Sep 18, 2011 5:16 AM

Mar 2011
It seems that Himara not the only one who wears a hat
Sep 18, 2011 7:41 AM

Jul 2011
omg i bet lots of people who put kanba as their favorite character, will remove him from their list immediately after seeing his FACE in this episode!!! LOL LOL LOL SO FUGLY!! what the heck is happening with the character design and animation quality? !!

they should correct everything in bluray!! this is the first episode of mawaru penguindrum that i cant really enjoy, not because of the story, but because the ART, yuckkk
Sep 18, 2011 9:03 AM

May 2008
Blazingluke said:
MorningGlory said:
ew... what happen to the picture/art quality this week

I was wondering the same thing. Things look a little off....
So I wasn't the only one noticing it~

I really hope for some Major development for Ringo from now on~
Sep 18, 2011 12:32 PM

Aug 2011
greaty great!!! Loved this episode!!!
Sep 18, 2011 3:54 PM

Nov 2008
Pretty good episode. I preferred episode 9, but I am pleased that we are starting to get into Masako's storyline now.

One of the things I liked about this episode was that bit of foreshadowing. In one scene, #2 ate a thermometer and got mercury poisoning through it. In the scene just after that, Shouma ate a spiked pudding, knocking him out for the second time in three episodes (two if you don't count episode 9)

With that scene, and somebody over on TVTropes making the connection between #1's panty collection and Kanba's chances of getting the dairy, I wonder if the penguins represent fate somehow, as their actions seem to mirror what happens to the brothers in the near future.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Sep 19, 2011 2:22 PM

Mar 2008
Hohoho, so Gabriel played the Horn in this eppy! The Judgement day has come for you, Kanba! LOL

No, I mean, seriously, if one keeps looking for religious symbolism, it's pretty easy to discover. Do you remember the very first seconds of the very first eppy? That angel with a horn over Himari's bed? And now all those tubes in the hospital playing Dvořák with Penguingroup.Inc logo inside...

In the ep9 comments, I called Penguingroup.Inc-penguins angels, while PenguinForce-penguins - daemons. Now, if one sticks to that metaphor, it really looked like angels were playing horns in this episode, announcing the arrival of the end of time. Notice, by the way, that Gabriel's Horn also symbolises the link between finite and infinite, e.g. life and death.

It also gave me a feeling as if it was Kanba who actually got judged. He started on the snow-white-sheet windy and airy roof (heaven side) and ended in the dark basement (underground side). And during all his way down it was obviously painful for Kanba to remember all those hated presents he received in the past. I wonder if those were the presents of his different ex's or were those from Natsume? Whatever, this staircase to hell really looked like a divine punishment xD Serves you right, siscon lolwomanizer ^^

By the way, one thing about Dvořák. The tune playing was from his 9th symphony. I'm really curious if this has something to do with the Curse of the ninth or this is merely a coincidence and I'm seeing things.

But to hell with the symbolism for now. My mind is really puzzled at the moment as I still can't put all those symbols in a single row and see the picture as a whole... This episode alone left so many questions..

WHO picked up the diary?
- Yuri?
- Nah, Ringo'd have recognized her.
- Masuko herself?
- Nah, she was on the roof/in the basement busy with Kamba.
- Another zombie of hers with a red bullet between the eyes?
- Well, that could probably be the case... and I'll probably stick to this version for now, but let's see...

WHAT is the penguindrum? Is it really the Diary or still something else?

HOW are all characters related... this is now a real mess. Somehow, Momoka, Child Broiler, Those two small kids in the broiler, Momoka's diary, Library, Himari and her fated one, Mario and Masuko, Kamba and Shouma, Ringo, Ringo's parents, Takakura siblings parents, Takakura siblings uncle, Tabuki-sensei and Yuri, hats and Sanetoshi - my mind just can't hold of them together. But there must be certain connections between all of them. The sole fact that Takakura siblings are now living alone, without their parents, should have a meaning. I have a constant feeling of abandoned children, aborts, children-parents-family relationship conflict are a vital part of the show.

On a side note, I loved the vibes of the Bakemonogatarish art in this episode. Many complained about the quality. I, however, really adored those simplified backgrounds - they made the entire episode stand out on its own. The hospital was like from another world and I found it good. I don't know how much of this was intended, but I without a doubt like how it was presented. And, how should I put it, I'm not the tiniest bit surprised to find out that Takeuchi Nobuyuki worked on this episode.

On another side note, remixed ED felt even better than the original one!
Sep 19, 2011 3:29 PM

Aug 2008
Sep 20, 2011 4:08 AM

Sep 2009
Who is Mario?
Sep 20, 2011 9:20 AM
Jan 2011
this is getting complicated
Sep 20, 2011 10:24 PM

Mar 2010
Fuck, if it was this easy to get the diary they should have just kidnapped Ringo's dad in the first place. -____-
I'm reallly glad Shoma's okay, I was worried about him~c':

Though the coupling...The romance between Himari and Kanba and Ringo and Shoma I mean, it's no place for me to criticize, but I hope it doesn't end up that way...>>

Diggin this shota Mario btw~♥

Sep 23, 2011 6:52 AM

Oct 2010
I really like the way they execute the story. All those plot jumps and psychological attack and symbolisms... truly a delight to be watched.

I also have some complains for the chara design this time, but none about the animation whatsoever.

Last time we get to see deeper, the lower stories of Himari's past, this time we got a glimpse of Kanba through similar recipe. Shouma's the last of the three siblings not to get one. I'm waiting for it, though.

When Natsume jumped him, I was continuing her sentence in my mind like... "What I'm after is... your love!" Or something along that line. Lol. This is a truly shoujo story, packed wonderfully.

There is a very high possibility of Shouma and Ringo ending up together but man, I'm stubborn about characters I like and I don't like him being paired up with her, yeap.

I noticed Mario. Himari's gone to queen mode and back, what will this boy do, then? King mode? Lol, waiting eagerly for his role.

And the unexpected Yui's version of the ending was refreshing, though I always liked the original op and ed, they fit so psychedelicly perfect.
Sep 23, 2011 6:38 PM
Apr 2011
The whole scene when Kanba was remembering his past as he descended down the stairs--Was there some kind of factor that trigger it?
Sep 24, 2011 11:55 AM

Oct 2010
really intresting. Can't wait for the next episode. O.o
Sep 28, 2011 11:14 PM

Jul 2010
So she's also following Project Maternity. I can support this pairing. The ending was shock... Mario-sama.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

RainbowMagnet - Oct 13, 2011

218 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Yumekichi11 - Sep 1, 2011

217 by jumbosan »»
Apr 13, 6:58 AM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Blackbird - Jul 14, 2011

176 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 11:17 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - Jul 7, 2011

351 by jumbosan »»
Apr 12, 10:26 PM

Poll: » Mawaru Penguindrum Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Yumekichi11 - Dec 22, 2011

544 by FarCritical »»
Mar 29, 1:56 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.