Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 4, 2008 3:58 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
You did it, Shion!

Very nice final episode, I really enjoyed it. Watching Hani lose and Shion speak was just great.

I really enjoyed the whole series, I was highly anticipating every new episode so this gets an easy 9/10 for me. :D

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Jul 4, 2008 8:48 PM

Jul 2007
Gah, this series has been a great ride. Such an awesome finale and she spoke, gah that was great.

Hani epic loss made the episode even more enjoyable.

9/10
Jul 5, 2008 1:59 AM

Jan 2008
DESTROYED! Shion can speak! Hani's a freak! Horrah!

When I first started this series I didn't expect much, but I'm shocked how blown away I am :o

9/10 for me
Jul 5, 2008 3:47 AM

Aug 2007
Great ending. 21 Episodes without talking and she can talk now? And with that fluency? A bit exagerated tho... Well she was going for the title.

9/10 for me

PS: Finnaly i can be be proud of having claimed her ^^
Jul 5, 2008 8:54 AM
Jun 2008
Awesome episode. I'm so glad it didn't take another month or two to get subbed. Shion kicking Meijin's ass was great, especially when he was losing his cool to the point of looking absolutely psycho. I loved how his brother also punched him in the face. But man, can't believe shougi made the Meijin so obsessed with winning. He's crazy. Shion talking in the end was the best and now that has made me want another season. Great series.
Jul 5, 2008 11:21 AM

Jan 2008
cyruz said:
I really enjoyed the whole series, I was highly anticipating every new episode so this gets an easy 9/10 for me. :D

And that's the true test of the worth of this series. We were still tied into it, even with the interuppted subbing releases. It would be a month between releases, and when one came out, the story line and story excitment was still with me.

8/10 from me - which is very high in my scale.
Jul 5, 2008 2:01 PM

Oct 2007
I just watched the final episode of the series and it was a good episode for the ending – it wrapped up the series rather nicely. Although, I wrote that I didn't want Shion to win the match a couple of episodes ago, because I found it won't realistic if she did – I'm glad she did. The behaviour of Hani Meijin was deplorable and had me rooting for Shion all the way. The motive was rather farfetched, but sadly, I have heard that people have been murdered for less. Shion speaking at the end was rather great and the epilogue showing what happened to the main three protagonists was great too, albeit a tad rushed.

In the end, I think I gave the overall series an eight – had the animation been more consistent the score might have been higher. All in all, I think this was one of the better anime of the season it aired in. =)
Jul 5, 2008 3:07 PM

Jul 2007
9/10
Jul 6, 2008 12:45 AM

Jun 2007
Nice ending but i wanted Hani to go all crazy, instead he just said that to Shion.
9/10 I enjoyed it n_n
Jul 6, 2008 8:31 PM

Jul 2007
Nice ending, anyway the entire series was great and I enjoyed each and every episode, it gets a solid 9/10 from me^^,
Jul 7, 2008 5:05 PM

Nov 2007
when you skip through a lot of minutes of the final episode of a series you know it was a total waste of time. Plus the OP song is horrible. Blargh.
Jul 7, 2008 6:36 PM

Apr 2007
That was a great series and I enjoyed every minute of it. It was nice to hear Shion finally speak as well.

Like almost everyone here I scored this 9/10. Now I have to find time to watch it all together >_<
Jul 7, 2008 10:17 PM

Dec 2007
Yay for Shion! I liked how Shion finally speak. I liked the ending, and I really enjoyed this series so far. 9/10
Jul 7, 2008 10:23 PM

Jan 2007
a bit exaggerated like the last episode, but still quite enjoyable none the less. I wonder how far the manga is compared to the anime. Easily a 9 from me.
Jul 7, 2008 11:47 PM

Feb 2007
Finally finished. YAY! Good work Shion!

Weird to think that I was looking for a show similiar to Higurashi when I looked through the Fall07 anime 9 months ago, and found a show that delivered 100%, when Shion no Ou has no real similarities, other than the Studio DEEN twisted face syndrome, which I love by the way. xD

Masterpiece, 5th anime to get a 10/10 from me, and I'm being really generous about it. May go back down to a 9 in the future, cause the animation and overall added tension from the last two episodes might have just spoilt it from keeping that 10 forever.
Jul 8, 2008 8:00 PM

Nov 2007
woot it finally finished! what a great series this was! :D

i liked the ending where shion spoke and where ayumie and nikko (sp?) where both "shion wait for me" :D

haha hani you failz xD;

haha the animation was :/ but i think the everything else made up for it~

great show! i loved it
Jul 9, 2008 12:12 AM

Nov 2007
This really hit the spot with me. My second ten for the year. <3 Shion was great, and the series was concluded well. Though to get nitpicky, if she hadn't talked for eight years, her vocal cords wouldn't have allowed the outburst at the end. =p But it was still awesome.
Jul 10, 2008 5:59 PM

Sep 2007
datsunvic said:
We were still tied into it, even with the interuppted subbing releases. It would be a month between releases, and when one came out, the story line and story excitment was still with me.

9/10 for this very reason.
Aug 16, 2008 11:24 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
a bit predictable at the very end....

Studio Deen killed it....the animation was beyond horrible....the last two episodes' mood was completely destroyed by the inconsistency of the animation....

I would have given it a 10 except that the last two episode made me change ideas....

but now I would give a 9/10 instead...
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Dec 17, 2008 7:00 PM
Mar 2008
Loved the series, would give it a 10 for story, characters, execution, but the animation was inconsistent, the end made me cringe at that a bit. Liked the way they produced it, made me think who, how and why to the end and was intense to the end. Plus you don't even need to know shougi to understand what's going. Hani is one effed up mofo and Shion was cute through out. 9/10
Dec 30, 2008 6:07 PM

Jun 2008
I hate you Studio Deen! You ruined this episode ;_;

Jan 1, 2009 11:30 AM
Oct 2007
8! Good anime but bad animation and a tad slow at the beginning. Hani is such a freak. The ending left me wanting more tho but it's pretty obvious Shion, Ayumi, and Saori will continue to do well. Poor Hisatani, lol.
Jan 1, 2009 3:20 PM

Dec 2008
Great series! Of course, like many people, I started to suspect at some point in the last few episodes, but when he was first shown he seemed a rather wholesome character.

The only thing I didn't like is that nothing was done anymore with the Saori-Hani subplot. Quite a bit of effort was put in showing how well she liked him and that he was looking out for her. Weird that it wasn't referred to at all.
Mar 11, 2009 9:34 AM

Feb 2008
wow. this was very interesting. i like how they hid the culprit till near the end. at some point, i thought his adopted father might have done it since he didn't have any kids of their own, but that quickly went away. i wish there were a couple more episodes.
May 30, 2009 1:18 PM

Feb 2008
Great series, never a dull moment and everything wrapped up nicely. 9\ 10

“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Dec 15, 2009 5:26 PM

Oct 2007
Loved this from begin to end. I don't usually marathon shows but I made an exception for this one. Before I knew it I was completely immersed and couldn't stop watching it.

8/10 for this show.

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Feb 3, 2010 12:59 AM

Mar 2009
great <333 10/10
Mar 15, 2010 12:42 PM

Jun 2009
It was a very nice serie to watch, even for people like me who doesnt know anything about the game, because of the mistery about who was the killer...

I did not liked meijin's motive to kill her parents, could have been something better.
May 26, 2010 9:41 AM
Jul 2009
Finally got around to the last ep, I lost track of this series at first and couldn't get to the last ep for whatever reason. But I finally got the last ep it was great, Shion pulled out the best moves and showed him who's boss, I knew she could speak by now she just didn't want to yet. I wish there was a sequal or movie after this part, I would like to see her play more beyond this.
Jun 29, 2010 6:54 PM

Mar 2010
such an intense anime i should give it a 9/10 but since i dont understand shougi i couldnt fully comprehend the games so it prob only gets a 7 but not do to any lacking on the anime's part lol

"I am the bone of my sword,
Steel is my body and Fire is my blood,
I have created over a thousand blades,
Unknown to Death,
Nor known to Life,
Have withstood pain to create many weapons,
Yet, those hands will never hold anything,
So as I pray, unlimited blade works"
Jul 17, 2010 6:42 AM

Aug 2008
Decent series, but lacked intensity at times, and the only character that was interesting was Shion. I'm giving it 6/10... Completed 22 eps in 9 hours exactly.
Aug 8, 2010 10:48 AM

Jul 2009
spudnick2010 said:
but since i dont understand shougi i couldnt fully comprehend the games

Same here. But I like story and last ep was great ^^
So whole anime was good, I give it 7/10

Also DEEN really like to torment their characters.. poor Shion (
Sep 10, 2010 9:25 PM

Jun 2009
spudnick2010 said:
such an intense anime i should give it a 9/10 but since i dont understand shougi i couldnt fully comprehend the games so it prob only gets a 7 but not do to any lacking on the anime's part lol
All you really needed to do was spend around 20, 15 if you already know the basics of chess, minutes looking on wikipedia and you'd understand pretty much everything you needed to for this anime. It's kind of ridiculous to waste 8 hours watching an anime and not spend the 20 minutes it would take to make that 8 hours enjoyable.

Anyway, I thought it was great. I knew that I'd enjoy the dark drama/mystery but the fact that even the Shoji could be made that suspenseful completely caught me off-guard. Might drop it down to 9/10 later, but, for now, it's a solid 10/10.
Oct 15, 2010 4:03 PM
May 2010
I'm extremely glad I picked the anime up - it was one hell of an entertaining ride even though it's hard to understand the games they played. Still, it wasn't really about shougi - and you don't really need to know much about it for the show to be great.

It was a good ending to a good series, but I honestly thought they could've made a better ending - I would've loved if it was more dramatic by the end of the episode. He left a bit too quietly if you ask me - I wish the police had stormed right after the match ended. Still, it was really enjoyable.

I don't think this is a masterpiece, but it really isn't that far away - it definitely deserves a rating of 9 out of 10. One of the best main characters I've seen so far in anime series - how can you not love her? The rest of them were not too bad either, but she definitely is the pearl of the characters in the series.

To cut the story short - Shion no Ou is a superb anime that definitely deserves to be watched, and should be watched.
Mar 10, 2011 8:34 AM

Dec 2007
Like hell she haven't spoken a word for more than 8 years and now she can scream like that...that's one think that really pissed me in this episode, and..... yeah is there gonna be a sequel :D
Apr 28, 2011 1:15 PM
Mar 2011
Well, I can't say the plot was really original. It was pretty clear that Shion will go to the finals, though she might have lost there. About the mystery, I started suspecting Hani Makoto around episode 15, and became sure he was the killer after Shion's second match against Hani Saori (not sure that was the name, I'm refering to the Mejin's brother). It wasn't realistic at all, neither the murder motive, nor Shion's play.
Nevertheless, I was kept in suspense, although I knew who the murderer is, and I cheered for Shion pretty much all the time, although (most matches) I knew beforehand she would win (and I don't understand Shougi)...
So, despite it's shortcomings, it was a very interesting series for me - 8/10. The finale could have been stronger.

PS> It was surely happy end, however, I was left the impression that after Shion told Hani Makoto she wasn't like him and he responded something like "We'll see.." he had a good point there...
Jun 5, 2011 7:55 PM

Apr 2011
Weird that after not speaking for more or less 8 years, she easily shouted like it was nothing. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me. The ending could've been much stronger.

Also, it was kind of predictable halfway through. It doesn't really take a rocket scientist to figure out who's the real killer; and killing for Shion's sake to become stronger than him? Doesn't really make any sense.

Had some dull moments. IMO, it would've been better if it was shortened to about half a season for a more fast-paced heart-pounding thriller. Still had me interested with what's going on though.

The ART. It was terrible at times. It definitely needs polishing.

Anyway, it still had its good points. A 6/10 for me. =)
Jul 2, 2011 7:17 PM

Jan 2010
This show made me learn the rules of Shougi, pulled a few surprises along the way, and gave one hell of an experience. There were definitely a few things off about the art and story, but I only figured those out after getting over the last episode. Who knew Shougi could be so interesting?
Jul 8, 2011 1:42 PM
Mar 2011
this anime seriously had me hooked, but the last episode was a sort of let-down. there are some loose ends. like gbrandelero, i didn't like hani-meijin's motive for murdering shion's parents. i don't see why hani-meijin had to kill his brother's lover. i was hoping for an explanation more sophisticated than "hani is mad" for this point. and how is shion able to talk in the end? how did hani manage to keep shion's mouth shut for 8 whole years to begin with?
that said, this anime had me rooted to my seat in a way no anime has in quite some time, which is why i have given it a score of 8.
Nov 12, 2011 11:19 PM

Feb 2010
Uhm , it was a good show.
Apr 16, 2012 6:50 AM
Apr 2011
I honestly didn't expect much of this series, but boy did it get me hooked. Marathoned the whole series since I have free time today, and I'm left with wanting more! I loved the tension, and only realised Hani-meijin was the murderer the last 5 eps more or less. I didn't really like his motive though, kinda farfetched that he'd murder the family just so that Shion would get better, which would in turn make Hani-meijin better. I don't really get why he wanted to kill Satoru's fiance (forgot her name), and why she was scared of him when he appeared at her door, since they were close enough for her to call him onii-san. If he intended for her to die so that Shion would have nobody left, just like him, why didn't he kill the Yasuoka family as well? :/

The thing with Nikkaido didn't really end that well too. Cause it seemed like she really liked Hani-meijin and all, yet her reaction was normal when they arrested him. There was that one episode also that some other players pointed out that Hani-meijin must love/care for her in a special way, so what happened to that?

Either way, 10/10 for me cause it's been awhile since I've really gotten this into an anime. Will probs drop down to 8 or 9 soon though haha. Good series, loveddd it.
Oct 12, 2012 1:43 PM

Oct 2010
Man this is one of the best animes i ever saw in my life. Its definitely a top 10. Im not an animation freak but damn this story was brilliant. Shion is one of the few how to do a strong female character with emotion perfectly.

10/10

I wish we can get more female leads in anime that acts like Shion strong, not weak willed, but has emotion.
Dec 23, 2012 2:06 AM

Jan 2012
sports/detective/tranny is an unusual combination of genre and yet it blends well together. did not expect that he was the culprit. the series did a great job on leading us to other characters that was a false culprit. the golden moment when she spoke again was very rewarding. kinda wish there is a 2nd season to her journey of being the (first?) female meijin. I dont know anything about shougi i wish they at least explain some of the things they were doing than just having these "reactions." Its very niche appealed. I could have enjoyed the series more if I knew what was going on.

Okaa-san poppin' poppin' her collar out of 10.
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Mar 4, 2013 5:48 PM

Jan 2013
Absolutely fantastic!
"What color do you want to be?" -Shiina Mashiro
Mar 14, 2013 6:54 PM

Jul 2011
Happy Ending! Yay!! :D

It was a nice episode, seeing Shion beat the meijin dude in shougi was great.

And I got teary from hearing Shion speak for herself against hani.

but the scene with Satoru and hani speaking/fighting with each other, the animation was really crappy.

Great series. very great. 9/10
Oct 23, 2013 8:37 PM

Nov 2011
So glad Shion won that match. And yay, she's talking again! Anyways, rating this a 6/10. I was more into the mystery rather than the games itself from this series. Also, seems like the other supporting characters from the beginning began to lose roles as this series progressed :/

Great themes though.
Feb 5, 2014 8:58 PM

Aug 2013
It was a good show. But I honestly don't like the meijin's shallow reason/motive to kill Shion's parents. It was so stupid...but he's not right in the head so I guess that's to be expected.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Oct 1, 2014 10:56 PM

Apr 2014
Meijin is soooo creepy and pathetic.....shion was amazing though, what a great anime.

I would give it 10/10 but it gets 9/10 because the art is terrible lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 11, 2015 8:44 PM
Sep 2014
Great show, even though i dont know a thing about Shougi, it was still fun and tense to watch. Script was good so they explained most of the stuff they do so us without any knowledge can enjoy it. Plus good sub group made "notes" explaining stuff. The motive of murder is retarded, but it usualy is so i went past it.
Aug 17, 2015 5:55 PM
Sep 2009
I don't mind Hanii's reason for killing her parents, common. Though expecting a 4 year old child to give you a boost is a bit silly but whatever.

However, I still don't get why he tried to kill Satoru's girlfriend. What did she have to do with any of it?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shion no Ou Episode 21 Discussion

Zel - Jun 29, 2008

21 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 16, 2023 5:41 PM

Poll: » Shion no Ou Episode 20 Discussion

cyruz - May 20, 2008

25 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 16, 2023 5:03 PM

Poll: » Shion no Ou Episode 19 Discussion

FireReaverX - Apr 18, 2008

24 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 16, 2023 4:36 PM

Poll: » Shion no Ou Episode 18 Discussion

cyruz - Mar 10, 2008

36 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 16, 2023 4:04 PM

Poll: » Shion no Ou Episode 17 Discussion

Faust721 - Feb 28, 2008

23 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 16, 2023 3:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.