Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 28, 2008 12:25 AM

Jan 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was awesome. Seriously, if I thought about it more, I probably would've figured that Satoru's plan was to trigger Shion's memory. It all makes sense. Now we go back to the main question as to who the killer is. Man was that last part pretty freaky. I need moar.
Feb 28, 2008 9:01 AM

Nov 2007
this episode was so great because we find out that the obvious killer Satoru isnt the killer at all. Now Im wondering if its the Meijin.... guess we'll see~
Feb 28, 2008 11:59 AM

Sep 2007
That was awesome. Especially at the end when she realized shougi wasn't her bond with her family/father but with the murderer instead. How sad is that =(
Feb 28, 2008 12:08 PM

Aug 2007
I couldnt never saw that Ending coming. Seems that Satoru is less evil than we thought hun? :p
Feb 28, 2008 1:39 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Static said:
I couldnt never saw that Ending coming. Seems that Satoru is less evil than we thought hun? :p

Just cause he didn't actually kill Shion's parents? The way he 'tortured' Shion before makes up for that. Even if Shion is strong enough to not let it get to her.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Feb 28, 2008 1:52 PM

Jun 2007
The animation of the actual characters seems to not be getting any better. When they first introduced Satoru, he looked good. Now his face is being distorted in a weird way (9:10), and the rest of the time him and everyone else just look different.

Feb 28, 2008 7:25 PM

Oct 2007
A rather fascinating episode – it's good to finally know why the Hani brothers, especially Satoru, are interesting in Shion, in particular to the deaths of her biological parents. Having his fiancée's death connected to the murders would give him the motivation to find out the circumstances of it – she probably gave the same good luck charm to both Satoru and Shion.

Although, we more or less, have eliminated Satoru as a suspect in the murders, which I always thought was a red herring, in my eyes, he's still a #@$%@&! for acting the way he does, especially towards Shion and to a lesser degree to everyone in general.

It's rather eerie to find out that during the night of her parents' murder she played shougi with the murderer and I wonder how that revelation would affect her life – would she quit the game, because her shogi was based not on her adoptive parents, but on the murderer of her biological parents?

In any case, I'm looking forward to the next episode, especially to the conclusion of the rematch between Shion and Satoru and how the Shougi Institute would handle Saitou's deception.
Feb 28, 2008 8:57 PM
Dec 2007
it's a shame the deterioration of the animation is so distracting. I'm really losing focus on the story because of it.
Feb 28, 2008 9:57 PM

Feb 2007
reflectia said:
The animation of the actual characters seems to not be getting any better. When they first introduced Satoru, he looked good. Now his face is being distorted in a weird way (9:10), and the rest of the time him and everyone else just look different.

bakabito said:
it's a shame the deterioration of the animation is so distracting. I'm really losing focus on the story because of it.

You two are just not looking at the animation from a positive perspective. The overall animation is messier than ever, but the details and poses are quite imaginative (though a bit exaggerated).

Another great episode. Looks like Satoru's motives have been revealed.
Feb 28, 2008 10:18 PM

Dec 2007
Nice episode but I agree, the animation was a bit over exaggerated and just plain sloppy. The intro scene made me think I was watching some fan created episode, just looked unprofessional really. What makes it worse is they keep swapping between the two styles. Studio DEEN strikes again.
playconnFeb 28, 2008 10:57 PM
Feb 29, 2008 7:43 PM

Jun 2007
For a moment i thought his father was the murderer but it came out really good how Satoru was just trying to make her remember really good chapter
Mar 1, 2008 1:36 AM

Nov 2007
the animation is making me go.. what? o_O;

other than that great episode! :3 didn't except that ending with the whole connection with the murdered just wants me want to know who the killer is more! and only 4 episodes to go! x_x why is ending so soon ;_;
Mar 1, 2008 10:47 PM
Dec 2007
Yes, the animation sucked for the most part, especially in the beginning. It was almost laughable.

BUT, the episode was fantastic anyway. The plot development and the ending was both awesome and creepy. I think that's the first time we got to see Shion's parents. I wonder if they have anything to do with Shougi. There's got to be some kind of connection between them and the foster parents and Satoru's lover that led to the murder or something.

I miss the female version of Saitou.
Mar 2, 2008 3:22 AM

Nov 2007
Mac109 said:
this episode was so great because we find out that the obvious killer Satoru isnt the killer at all. Now Im wondering if its the Meijin.... guess we'll see~

I've been thinking the same thing over the past few episodes. The more time that goes by, the meaner the meijin seems. The question is why would he do it?
Apr 4, 2008 9:51 PM

Nov 2007
interesting match... Wonder who will win?
Well.. I'm sure this will get more interesting

Sep 15, 2008 5:46 PM

Apr 2007
Maybe it's just me, but I've been too engrossed in the story to focus on the animation.

That was one hell of a revelation in the end. That's got to shake her up quite a bit. On to the next episode...

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jan 22, 2009 5:20 PM

Dec 2008
bluethree said:
The more time that goes by, the meaner the meijin seems. The question is why would he do it?

To make Shion the ultimate shogi player to upset the balance of the Association with their separate categories? That does seem a ridiculously implausible reason to kill, but I can't come up with anything else. I wonder what motive Hani could reasonably have?
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
Jun 29, 2010 4:54 PM

Mar 2010
dam how do u continue u playing when you realize you learned your style of playing from your parents murder

"I am the bone of my sword,
Steel is my body and Fire is my blood,
I have created over a thousand blades,
Unknown to Death,
Nor known to Life,
Have withstood pain to create many weapons,
Yet, those hands will never hold anything,
So as I pray, unlimited blade works"
Feb 5, 2014 8:41 AM

Aug 2013
Ahh I knew it. Satoru was being a d-bag to draw our Shion's memories. I still hate him though.

That revelation in the end...poor Shion :(
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Nov 18, 2015 12:15 PM

Jul 2009
So, all that Satoru wanted was to make Shion remember, coz his girlfriend was close to Shion's parents. He was not bad. So, I believe Makoto is the killer, damn him!
Feb 7, 2017 2:47 AM

Nov 2013
I knew Satoru is not the killer. I think young policeman is the killer.
Apr 25, 2021 12:18 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
She really played a match with the killer... well it's still really mysterious, I wonder who it is :/
May 17, 2022 1:38 AM

Jan 2020
Satoru is actively helping Shion now. It seems like the main reason he's been so abrasive toward her is out of a resentment. He may even blame her, at least somewhat. I guess that mostly depends upon if Kazumi was also murdered by the same person as Shion's parents.

I am somewhat confused about why the murderer would play Shogi with Shion. He was essentially inviting her into the world of Shogi, but why? Was he giving her a chance to catch him? Was he hoping that by playing with her it would reinforce her selective mutism? I don't think he was doing it because he was insane or anything. I think he had to have some motive for it.

It's really starting to get good now.

"...Is your mother worried? Would you like us to assign someone to worry your mother?"

Nov 16, 2023 3:32 PM

Dec 2022
I didn't think this anime could keep getting even more enthralling, but it continues to impress. What a realisation for Shion, to now come to terms with having bonded through shogi with the killer, even to the extent of influencing her play style.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shion no Ou Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jul 4, 2008

62 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 16, 2023 6:30 PM

Poll: » Shion no Ou Episode 21 Discussion

Zel - Jun 29, 2008

21 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 16, 2023 5:41 PM

Poll: » Shion no Ou Episode 20 Discussion

cyruz - May 20, 2008

25 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 16, 2023 5:03 PM

Poll: » Shion no Ou Episode 19 Discussion

FireReaverX - Apr 18, 2008

24 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 16, 2023 4:36 PM

Poll: » Shion no Ou Episode 18 Discussion

cyruz - Mar 10, 2008

36 by Archean-Return »»
Nov 16, 2023 4:04 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.