Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 11, 2008 1:24 AM

Apr 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Downloaded the raw, as knowing Ureshii it's gonna be a while till we see their first ep.

I'll admit i got rather bored at some parts, thou i don't know if that's because the show was boring or simply because i was so sleepy. Thank god it lived up to what i was expecting from this in the end thou, i hold really high expectations with this show.

On another note, i didn't like the op first watch (loved the song thou from the trailer), but after watching it a few more times i like now. Very artistic op. Gotta get the ed and op songs when there released. Background music was awesome as well, loved it. Animation was definitely iffy at parts, i was expecting amazing animation from this one to go with the uniqueness of it all, but it definitely looked better in the late 2nd half.

I didn't understand much dialogue wise but i was able to create my own guesses, which i'm sure were somewhat close to what they were saying. I really like Kaiba's design, the unimportant side characters thou, really could use improving. Oh well. Kaiba's power (? or whatever it was) was totally awesome. I might actually watch raws the whole way through with this show, then again with Ureshii's subs (unless some other good and faster group subs the show). Definitely looking forward to more.

edit:super acidic fanta makes good weapon
SiingApr 11, 2008 1:33 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 13, 2008 5:31 AM

Dec 2007
I can assume what you're referring to as "boring parts" but I think this was one of the strongpoints of the directional work. I really like the scences where Kaiba was left alone and the villagers were busy with finding their friend's memory, having relationship issues and such.
This was a very believable portrait of being thrown into a very strange world where you do not know anybody and do not know what's going on so that you can only sit down and observe.

The OP video was awesome with its permanent change of characters.
Apr 19, 2008 6:38 PM
Jun 2007
Where are mah Ureshii subs? Dammit all!

Also, why are people rating it without having seen it?

Apr 20, 2008 12:31 PM

Feb 2008
What the fuck did i just watch? :S
Apr 20, 2008 12:42 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Weirdest animation ever. The OP and ED are beautiful though. And yes, I also have no idea what's going on. Looks like it's related to some kind of cyber space story... they were talking about capacity etc.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 20, 2008 1:33 PM

Apr 2007
I loved this first episode. I actually found the concept of people being able to switch bodies and the exploitation that can come of it very intriguing. It was funny in the beginning with the guy who tried to pretend he was the little kid's brother and run away with the body.

The animation is old school which I don't mind. It's actually refreshing to see a break from the current mold.

I can't wait to see more of it. I hope they can weave an entertaining story as it goes on.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Apr 20, 2008 1:42 PM

Nov 2007
It`s quite unique new title. I found it cute since I did my homework by reading the review -.-
In the recent years there aren`t many such shows and I really looked forward this one. It was pretty good start for classical sci-fi plot^^
OP and ED were so good~~
Apr 20, 2008 2:21 PM

Jan 2008
What....the.....hell. Anime on some serious acid. The opening song is one of the best this season.

"There is a road in the hearts of all of us, hidden and seldom traveled,
which leads to an unknown, secret place."
Apr 20, 2008 2:43 PM

Oct 2007
Weird animation, very interesting though. Nice concept story wise. Bit ironic subs released on 420 for this show.

Apr 20, 2008 3:44 PM
Dec 2007
I'm still deciding if i like it or not.

It's really hard to tell whats going on compaired to other animes, but i got the gist of what was happening -_-" If it gets better, i'll keep watching, but if it stays like this, i'll probably drop it
Apr 20, 2008 5:42 PM

Jan 2008
Very cool. 60's Peter Max / Yellow Submarine animation style, SciFi - meaning of conscience plot. Future classic? We'll see... tsusuku
Apr 20, 2008 7:03 PM

Jul 2007
wow, wat a wierd anime... the first idea thought that crossed my mind was that i did not want to continue this. Chances are though, ill watch another episode before making a decision.

but wow, imean, theres some really deep stuff here, but its kinda boring and i cant quite grasp the genre or the story.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 20, 2008 7:13 PM

Jan 2007
what a funky show. took me a little bit to get warmed up to it. can't wait to see how this will turn out.
Apr 20, 2008 8:00 PM

Jan 2008
fyrga said:

I have no idea, that has to be one of the trippiest pieces of animation ever created. It seems so damn interesting, plus the bgm is freaking awesome.
Apr 20, 2008 11:43 PM

Mar 2007
Totally loved it. It's a good candidate to become my most favourite series of 2008.
Apr 21, 2008 2:43 AM
Jun 2007
I waited for the matroska version.

FUCKING AWESOME.

Lived up too my expectations 150%.

I just love it.

Apr 21, 2008 6:52 AM

Nov 2006
seriously disturbing...but definitly going to see this through

And I was thinking that Mononoke was weird... o.0
Apr 21, 2008 7:34 AM

Oct 2007
Pleasantly surprised.
"But at my back I always hear,
Time's winged chariot hurrying near,
And yonder all before us lie,
Deserts of vast eternity."
-- Andrew Marvell, "To His Coy Mistress"
Apr 21, 2008 9:21 AM

Mar 2008
AWESOME !
Apr 21, 2008 9:26 AM

Jun 2007
fyrga said:

I don't know if I'll really be able to watch this but maybe some more episodes..
Apr 21, 2008 10:47 AM

Mar 2008
to tell the truth, i wasn't really going into this anime with high expectations due to the interesting art style. however, the animation was actually a strong point imo and after watching it i must say that this is one of the better animes out this season thus far. can't wait for more.

op and ed songs were also fantastic.
Apr 21, 2008 11:29 AM
Oct 2007
Very nice start! I was expecting a lot less too, however this anime really kicks off nicely. I'm going to watch it for a few more episodes for sure!
Apr 21, 2008 3:05 PM

Jul 2007
yes yes yes.
this is the thing i like!
hope the story will stay sloppy..
or i might end up normal..
Apr 21, 2008 5:17 PM

Dec 2007
Words can't describe its greatness.
Apr 21, 2008 8:07 PM

Oct 2007
Definitely a contender for best anime of 2008. The opening is godly, and the animation is fantastic as well. I can't wait to see more.

Apr 22, 2008 3:21 PM

Dec 2007
i loved the show and the animation (pretty unique)
can't wait for the second episode!
Apr 22, 2008 4:18 PM

Oct 2007
Wow, I was tentative about starting this, but I loved it. Totally exceeded my expectations. It has a really nice tone to it I think, the OP and ED are amazing, and the animation...which I thought was gonna be a weak point because of its differentness...is also good.

One of the best I've seen this season.

Apr 22, 2008 4:23 PM

Nov 2007
THE best I've seen this season.
If I had to abandon them all to follow only one, it would be this one...
Everything here fits perfectly : the animation, the godly music, the mood, the characters, the ideas, the voices, every damn thing...
They are neither plants nor animals.
They differ from other forms of life such as the micro-organisms and the fungi. Instead they resemble the primeval body of life and are generally known as Mushi. Their existence and appearance are unknown to many and only a limited number of humans are aware of them.
Apr 22, 2008 6:34 PM

Nov 2007
The animation looks different for the sake of being different. It's not that good either... and this episode was kind of boring. Let's see how the next episodes fare.
Apr 22, 2008 7:40 PM

Apr 2007
definitely something different, guess will continue watching it since its only 12 episode long.
Apr 24, 2008 12:04 AM

Sep 2007
I'm interested in the story, not quite decided about the art style yet. I'll definitely keep watching
Apr 24, 2008 8:45 AM

Mar 2008
Loved this episode. Also, seeing as how the show only has 12 episodes scheduled, there's a good chance they'll keep this up. Really looking forward to seeing more, I might rate it a 9 if it's as good as I hope it will be. Originality should be rewarded after all.

spiesc said:
The animation looks different for the sake of being different. It's not that good either... and this episode was kind of boring. Let's see how the next episodes fare.

You have a point, but I think it's a good thing this show looks so different. The anime's theme is likely to be something like "don't judge a book by its cover". After all, characters in this show are not limited to the look they're born with. Anyone can be anything. I think the art style does put a lot of people off, because they judge this show by its artstyle and not by its overall content. So the show's theme also applies to the show itself. I'd say that's pretty crafty.
PBz0rApr 24, 2008 8:51 AM
Apr 24, 2008 7:48 PM

Feb 2007
The Spring Season is just continuing to impress me. Kaiba was probably going to be the most 'out there' show of the lot, and its first episode was brilliant. Probably the best first episode of the season.

Best OP this season so far, great art style and there is going to be a lot of mature themes throughout these 12 episodes.
Apr 25, 2008 3:39 AM
Jun 2007
BlueYoshi said:
The Spring Season is just continuing to impress me. Kaiba was probably going to be the most 'out there' show of the lot, and its first episode was brilliant. Probably the best first episode of the season.

Best OP this season so far, great art style and there is going to be a lot of mature themes throughout these 12 episodes.

I didn't really like the OP first time I saw it, then it was just average, and now I really like it.

Apr 25, 2008 2:19 PM
Apr 2008
A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

It will be the best anime this year by far! Superb and very unique animation, original world, nice plot and characters (I can't say much because it's only the first episode...), good music (I don't like the OP song thought...), etc.

(I loved Cat Soup, Kemonozume, Mind Game and Noiseman Sound Insect so much; the author of Kaiba was involved in these 4 animes)
Apr 25, 2008 7:11 PM

Aug 2007
Whoa that was pretty trippy.

I'm definitely interested in the story, and the OP and ED's are beautiful.
Apr 26, 2008 4:16 AM

Jul 2007
Somehow reminded me of Zettai Shounen...
Apr 28, 2008 3:08 PM

Jul 2007
Wow, that was even more wtf than I expected. That said, I really like the premise and it's very stylish, so I have a feeling it will go from wtf okay to wtf awesome.

oh, these little earthquakes
May 12, 2008 12:50 PM
Dec 2007
Great anime as expected, even better than Kemonozume for now :D

If you don't understand what you are watching, begin by watching some other Masaaki Yuasa stuff like Mind Game or Kemonozume, you'll find it highly disturbing but really rewarding in the end. I'm not his biggest fan myself, but I understand he does awesome series/movies, very personnal and complex. He's like the UFO of japanese animation, and that what makes him interesting !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
May 12, 2008 1:53 PM
Jun 2007
Jacut said:
Great anime as expected, even better than Kemonozume for now :D

If you don't understand what you are watching, begin by watching some other Masaaki Yuasa stuff like Mind Game or Kemonozume, you'll find it highly disturbing but really rewarding in the end. I'm not his biggest fan myself, but I understand he does awesome series/movies, very personnal and complex. He's like the UFO of japanese animation, and that what makes him interesting !

Except that Kemozume and Mind Game aren't similar too Kaiba. They're all a bit "out there" but in their own way. You can't just define somethings genre or style simply because it's by Yuasa.

May 12, 2008 10:36 PM

Feb 2008
What ... The ... F**k

I think this episode is giving me flashbacks and I've never dropped acid. Definitely unique whether it's for better or worse. I'm looking forward to seeing where they go with this.
May 13, 2008 5:58 AM

Feb 2008
I have to say that this was really weird (especially the art/animation), but I still enjoyed this first episode.
May 25, 2008 2:29 AM
Oct 2007
Woah...

what the hell was that...

o_0

I did enjoy it though
Jun 8, 2008 9:42 PM

Apr 2008
That was really refreshing.

Though, the emu/type-thing at the end made me sad, just the look it had when it couldn't get in. Strange show. Must watch more.
Jul 19, 2008 5:26 AM

Mar 2008
Wha-?
This episode made me feel like I was tripping or something, it must be one of the weirdest anime I've ever seen...

Despite that, or perhaps even because of that, I enjoyed it. The artwork was a bit of a disappointment, I thought it would be really outstanding and it was, but it didn't interest me at all. I did like the pace of the anime, though.

Overall, it reminded me of a mixture of The Jetsons, Brave New World and anything apocalyptic.
Jul 28, 2008 3:55 PM

Jan 2008
Really good start. Nice sci-fi, unique animation, lovely music.

What I loved most was the lack of endless exposition. Instead, we see the way the world works as observers along with the main character, there was only minimal explaining involved.

Poor below, rich above is stale, hope the story turns into something else later on.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 7, 2008 6:36 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
THIS IS HOW you do a SF story...

The use of estrangement right in the first episode was disorienting but extremely WELL DONE...

very very unique....I should have started it earlier....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 15, 2008 1:42 PM
Mar 2008
i am entranced like an eight year old watching astro boy and eating cheerios.

animation was unexpected but very interesting. i enjoyed the way they just threw you into it, hardly explaining.

seems like it will be an interesting "trip".
Mar 21, 2009 6:24 PM

Jan 2009
It seemed to be a bit slow and rather uninteresting at first, but once it picked up, I was glued on the screen. It has this sort of strange appeal with its art style that makes it eye catching, but at the same time, having to think while watching this and forming theories about the story makes this the type of science fiction I want to watch.
Apr 10, 2009 1:45 PM

Mar 2009
This show is awesome. It feels like some of those animated shorts / movies except it's a full sized serie.
Great OP&ED too. 5/5

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» I’m indifferent to the point of dropping it

Sagepool - Apr 13

0 by Sagepool »»
Apr 13, 6:11 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Netforce - Aug 7, 2008

153 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 5:30 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Trojun - Aug 7, 2008

64 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 4:57 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 10 Discussion

8GaugeBrett - Jul 31, 2008

43 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 4:02 PM

Poll: » Kaiba Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

freedo- - Jul 4, 2008

64 by Archean-Return »»
Mar 20, 3:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.