Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 1, 2009 11:33 AM

Mar 2007
According to a press release ADV sent out today, it looks like ADV has sold off/split apart all its assets to a bunch of smaller companies or something:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

A.D.VISION, INC. CONCLUDES SERIES OFASSET TRANSACTIONS

HOUSTON, September 1, 2009 – A.D. VISION, INC. ("ADV" or the "Company") announced today that June 1, 2009, the Company concluded a series of transactions that are expected to result in seamless delivery of home video products and television programming to customers.

Through an asset purchase agreement, AEsir Holdings, LLC (“Aesir”) acquired a subordinated interest in selected programming from ADV’s film library together with other intellectual property subject to all liens and security interests of the Company’s senior secured lender. The transaction requires Aesir to assume specific obligations and scheduled liabilities of the Company under legacy license agreements associated with the acquired programming.

Concurrently, the Company concluded an asset purchase agreement with SXION 23, LLC, doing business as “Section23 Films,” a home video distribution company, under which it assumes account servicing and distribution operations in connection with the library acquired by Aesir, subject to all liens and security interest of the Company's senior secured lender.

John Ledford, ADV’s President and CEO, states “We believe the actions we initiated and completed provided the same or more value to the Company’s secured lender and its programming licensors while giving other key stakeholders such as employees and customers some potential value or the reasonable probability of realizing value.”

In a separate transaction, Valkyrie Media Partners, LLC (“Valkyrie”) acquired a 100% equity position in Anime Network, Inc. (“ANI”), formerly ADV’s television unit, pursuant to a stock purchase agreement between ADV and Valkyrie. That transaction includes an assumption by Valkyrie of specific liens and security interests of the Company's senior secured lender.

In another separate transaction, Seraphim Studios, LLC acquired Amusement Park Media, the production unit of A.D. Vision, Inc.

Further announcements are expected from the respective acquiring entities over the coming days.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. They mention 'seamless delivery' so stuff may not be going away, just owned by different sources or something. I think ANN and Mania probably have a better analysis of today's events.
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?p=1640444

But they are essentially out of the anime business. Farewell, ADV.
MagicalEmiSep 1, 2009 11:43 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 1, 2009 11:34 AM

Aug 2008
So - even ADV is downsizing.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Sep 1, 2009 11:48 AM

Mar 2007
More than downsizing, they are pretty much gone, I think :(
Sep 1, 2009 11:50 AM

Jun 2009
this sucks, because even just glancing at my DVD collection, more than half of the best ones were from ADV, quite a shame, really.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!

Jul 2007
Bye.

Aug 2008
So, that leaves us with Funimation -- who was still able to afford getting a booth at Anime Expo. It was disappointing not seeing any other major distributor -- well -- maybe Crunchyroll and smaller others... but still.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Sep 1, 2009 11:53 AM

Jun 2009
KyuuA4 said:
So, that leaves us with Funimation -- who was still able to afford getting a booth at Anime Expo. It was disappointing not seeing any other major distributor -- well -- maybe Crunchyroll and smaller others... but still.

What about Geneon? Or are they done for as well and I'm just out of the loop (a lot happens when you sleep till 3, apparently).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the General Forum Guidelines!
Sep 1, 2009 11:54 AM

Jun 2008
As long as the Japanese companies making the anime don't close down those companies can close for as much as i care.
Hope Funimation goes down soon.
Sep 1, 2009 11:56 AM

Jun 2009
Monad said:
As long as the Japanese companies making the anime don't close down those companies can close for as much as i care.

you don't buy too much anime, I take it.
Sep 1, 2009 12:01 PM

May 2009
Monad said:
GTFO. I recently started actually buying my anime and I got a lot of recommendations to check them out. Can't say I'm sad or anything but it would have been better if they were still around

Don't recommend me something that is still publishing, unless its close to being finished. Don't recommend me anything that isn't licensed.
Sep 1, 2009 12:03 PM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Goodbye, ADV.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 1, 2009 12:03 PM

Jun 2008
mightykid218 said:
Monad said:

No, i just don't live in America and i don't like dubs.
Sep 1, 2009 12:13 PM

Jun 2009
Monad said:
mightykid218 said:
Monad said:

No, i just don't live in America and i don't like dubs.

Well some dubs are good, if not, better than the original japanese cast. FMA and Samurai Champloo come to mind.
Sep 1, 2009 12:16 PM

Apr 2009
Man that sucks. So has anyone noticed a drop in the number of anime available at their stores with all these shutdowns?
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Sep 1, 2009 1:30 PM

Aug 2009
thats cause this whole time the american anime industry had a crappy misled foundation, not until recently has prices/dvd quality (extras/bonus features etc) been good, for a very long time itd be 4 episodes per disc for 20-30 dollars, movies with B-rated features and of course 90% crappy dubs

and anime dubs not getting picked up on cable television without heavy editing and being aired at night

not many are gonna buy dvds just randomly, people need to have seen it on tv atleast

im more concerned for the american manga industry which imo is worth the money, $9 for a well drawn 200page book is good deal, i hope the manga industry gets better
Sep 1, 2009 1:50 PM

Dec 2008
Annnnnnnnndddddddd bid for Evangelion rights.......Go!!!!! (I'm staring at you in the face Bandai.)
Sep 1, 2009 1:52 PM

Feb 2009
Ahh gone are the days of comically joking, 'can't spell advertising without ADV'.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Sep 1, 2009 1:53 PM

Jun 2008
Sukunai said:
Ahh gone are the days of comically joking, 'can't spell advertising without ADV'.

Hey, thats actually pretty good.
I'm back.
Sep 1, 2009 2:06 PM

Oct 2008
Well joking aside, lol, they did have some pretty good titles. I hope it is a clean transfer of assets for the most part, and too many of their titles don't go OOP, if any.
Sep 1, 2009 2:31 PM

Jan 2009
T~T *sigh* ADV was so awesome I loved there dub's
Sep 1, 2009 3:06 PM

Jan 2009
I guess overpricing the EVA sets didint save them after all....
Sep 1, 2009 3:26 PM

Sep 2008
Yay now we don't have to deal with their shitastic dub jobs or their moral crusade against fan subbing!
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
Sep 1, 2009 4:08 PM

Mar 2007
ANN speculates and discusses what is going on with ADV in some more detail:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/editorial/2009-09-01/what-happening-with-adv-films
Sep 1, 2009 4:09 PM

Apr 2007
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2009 4:14 PM

Jul 2007
I will be very mad if I am unable to purchase the Welcome to the NHK boxset in the future... D:
Sep 1, 2009 4:15 PM

May 2009
Neverender said:

;_;
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 1, 2009 4:16 PM

Dec 2008
Neverender said:
[Teary-eyed Gendou Ikari.]

Nice.

So this announcement leaves how many -live- players still in R1 anime? Funimation, obviously. Bandai... and I guess Media Blasters? And those two aren't licensing much these days.

I can't help but wonder if there's any market for R1 anime DVD's left? By 2010 is Funimation going to be the only one left, if even?
Sep 1, 2009 4:19 PM

Aug 2007
case649 said:
Neverender said:

Nice.

So this announcement leaves how many -live- players still in R1 anime? Funimation, obviously. Bandai... and I guess Media Blasters? And those two aren't licensing much these days.

I can't help but wonder if there's any market for R1 anime DVD's left? By 2010 is Funimation going to be the only one left, if even?

You forgot Viz.
Sep 1, 2009 4:27 PM

Jul 2008
Aww, I'm gonna miss buying their stuff. :(
Sep 1, 2009 4:30 PM

Dec 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:
You forgot Viz.

Check out the video section of Viz's new releases page:
http://www.viz.com/products/newreleases/

Not really what I'd call "active", at least if we're talking anime DVDs. Little Media Blasters has more new releases/new licenses than Viz does.

AnimEigo also released the Yawara season 1 boxset a little while back, but that's their only new release of the year that I know of. Seems to me Viz is headed in that direction.
Sep 1, 2009 5:01 PM
Oct 2008
case649 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
You forgot Viz.

Not really what I'd call "active", at least if we're talking anime DVDs. Little Media Blasters has more new releases/new licenses than Viz does.

AnimEigo also released the Yawara season 1 boxset a little while back, but that's their only new release of the year that I know of. Seems to me Viz is headed in that direction.

Viz is active they just don't have the amount of licenses that other licensing companies like Funimation or Bandai have. Their main focus, at least with anime, seems to be with the series that are currently airing on adultswim.

They've also been putting A LOT of their focus into their manga.

Lemons said:
Annnnnnnnndddddddd bid for Evangelion rights.......Go!!!!! (I'm staring at you in the face Bandai.)

I imagine Funimation will try to rescue that series, considering that they have the rights to one of the movies and it would be easy for them to get the dub cast if they ever wanted to do some sort of re-release.
Sep 1, 2009 5:17 PM

Apr 2009
asandari said:
I will be very mad if I am unable to purchase the Welcome to the NHK boxset in the future... D:
It shouldn't, given that Welcome to the NHK is licensed by Funimation...
Confucius say man who stand on toilet is high on pot.
Sep 1, 2009 5:29 PM
Forever Fearless

Apr 2007
Wow and i thought ADV bought it a year ago. Sucks, ADV had most of the good stuff too. We just need to get someone to bring Newtype back. I miss that shit!
Speed is Life - 1st ID... patch on my shoulder.

Sep 1, 2009 5:39 PM

Jul 2009
Monad said:

Why would you want it to go down if you dont even care?:'D
If Funi goes down i cry.
Sep 1, 2009 5:54 PM

Jun 2008
Aw, I liked ADV...
Sep 1, 2009 5:56 PM

Oct 2007
Sayonara. They were actually a decent company.

Sep 1, 2009 7:20 PM

Mar 2007
Sony releases the occasional title, too. Such as Blood+.
Sep 1, 2009 7:22 PM

Jun 2008
case649 said:
Neverender said:

Nice.

Anime Works is still alive, as far as I know. They release some pretty cheap sets.
I'm back.
Sep 1, 2009 7:31 PM

Dec 2007
mightykid218 said:
KyuuA4 said:

What about Geneon? Or are they done for as well and I'm just out of the loop (a lot happens when you sleep till 3, apparently).
Geneon was really the first big one that went, showing that the American anime industry wasn't doing too well.

I remember seeing that ADV was releasing something later this fall but I can't remember what it was. Sucks to see them go but I saw it coming for awhile, Clannad was the only show they released recently and they couldn't afford a dub cast for it.

#NBHNC
Sep 1, 2009 7:50 PM

Jul 2007
case649 said:

Nozomi.

oh, these little earthquakes
Sep 1, 2009 8:18 PM

Jun 2008
Ughh... Do you guys think that even Funi will go out of business, and we'll have to start resorting to fansubs again for ALL our new anime needs?
I'm back.
Sep 1, 2009 8:50 PM
Oct 2008
Sick_Bastard said:
Ughh... Do you guys think that even Funi will go out of business, and we'll have to start resorting to fansubs again for ALL our new anime needs?

Funimation and Bandai both seem to be doing very well at the moment.Funimation, at least seems to be doing pretty good with most of the recent thing they've been doing. I think there was a report earlier saying the drop in DVD sales was lower in comparison to last year...plus Funimation, Bandai, and Viz all own big titles which bring them in money. FUNimation probably being the one that has some of the most. They also from one interview I read, are much more careful about how many licenses they can take and what would be ok to license which is probably why they can take up a few titles that may not bring them in much.

ADV and Geneon had numerous problems which is probably one of the reasons they ended up going down. With Geneon it was definitely the pricing of their DVDs and with ADV, they just had too much going on at once. They had a channel, magazine, etc. and they where IMO taking too many licenses at once. Most of these licenses not being anything that would really sell well in the current market.
Sep 1, 2009 9:13 PM

Apr 2007
Capellabun said:
with ADV, they just had too much going on at once. They had a channel, magazine, etc. and they where IMO taking too many licenses at once. Most of these licenses not being anything that would really sell well in the current market.
Agreed. Although I liked ADV, they often displayed some of the worst qualities of companies who overextend themselves in times of plenty only to come crashing back to reality shortly afterward. All one had to do was look at one of their elaborate, multilevel booths at Anime Expo with a nonstop swag flow to see a superficial sign that they likely believed that the industry would continue its huge growth unimpeded. While they were supposedly busy rounding up half of the $120 million budget for the Evangelion live-action film, the industry was changing right in front of them and they were slow to react.

In any event, I'll have several fond memories of them, including taking chances on things like Nadia, which, considering their position then, they didn't have to. Every time I've had a chance to speak to a member of their central staff, they have been extremely courteous, knowledgeable, and enthusiastic. You always got the feeling that they were, first and foremost, anime fans, who just happened to run a video company. Hopefully whatever direction they go from here they can catch a little of the magic of the early days.
Sep 1, 2009 9:15 PM

Aug 2007
Who?
Sep 1, 2009 11:08 PM

Aug 2007
Capellabun said:
case649 said:
Drunk_Samurai said:
You forgot Viz.

Viz is active they just don't have the amount of licenses that other licensing companies like Funimation or Bandai have. Their main focus, at least with anime, seems to be with the series that are currently airing on adultswim.

Lemons said:

I imagine Funimation will try to rescue that series, considering that they have the rights to one of the movies and it would be easy for them to get the dub cast if they ever wanted to do some sort of re-release.

Fuck Viz manga. I hope they go out of business so somebody good can get the rights to their manga.
Sep 2, 2009 2:09 AM

Dec 2008
Capellabun said:

Funimation and Bandai both seem to be doing very well at the moment.Funimation, at least seems to be doing pretty good with most of the recent thing they've been doing. I think there was a report earlier saying the drop in DVD sales was lower in comparison to last year...plus Funimation, Bandai, and Viz all own big titles which bring them in money. FUNimation probably being the one that has some of the most. They also from one interview I read, are much more careful about how many licenses they can take and what would be ok to license which is probably why they can take up a few titles that may not bring them in much.

2009 DVD releases, coutesy ANN

Not counting re-releases, Bandai has scarcely had 10 new products out so far in 2009, and they're having trouble meeting the release dates even on that small number of products. I preordered Sola, which was originally supposed to be out the third week of August. It got pushed back to the last week of September with no announcement..

Sick_Bastard said:

Anime Works is still alive, as far as I know. They release some pretty cheap sets.

Anime Works is an imprint of Media Blasters, which I mentioned. :P Media Blasters also has their Kitty Media imprint which I believe is also still licensing hentai, so might as well go ahead and talk about the parent company as a whole.

Anomalous said:

Nozomi.

IDK about Nozomi. They've had a great run the last year or so, during a really bad business period, no doubt. But currently they're just finishing up Aria and Mariasama, and the only two new licensed they have to work on beyond those are Gakuen Alice and Rental Magica. Respected shows, sure, but not quite as prolific as tjhw two biggies they're nearing completion on.

Time will tell, whether they pick up something bigger once they finish their longer series off, I guess.

Capellabun said:

Yeah, Viz has always been more of a manga company than an anime company. Someone told me today that in terms of sales, they are #2 after Funimation even with their tiny catalog.

That's great I guess, but for me, from a DVD collector's standpoint, that still means there's not much to look forward to from them in months and years to come..
Sep 2, 2009 9:22 AM
Aug 2008
Jigero said:
Yay now we don't have to deal with their shitastic dub jobs or their moral crusade against fan subbing!

Stay classy, Internetz.
Sep 2, 2009 9:25 AM

Jun 2008
Man this is truly a sad day. They were one of the few companies that I actually liked dubs on, and they had a ton of great titles that they brought over. They will definitely be missed! :*(
Sep 2, 2009 9:31 AM

Jul 2007
Mawootad said:
asandari said:
It shouldn't, given that Welcome to the NHK is licensed by Funimation...

"the anime became one of over thirty ADV titles acquired by Funimation Entertainment."

I see. I missed the memo.
Sep 2, 2009 9:50 AM

Jan 2008
Its sad to see ADV go. I mean they always got a hold of some really good anime to bring over here to the States.Seeing ADV go is like having someone stab me in the heart. Hell quite a bit of my anime DVD collection are ADV titles. I mean ADV has been around for what 15+ years and putting out quality stuff. Wasn’t it ADV who had a part in NEWTYPE USA. A great Magizine that went bye-bye. When that happened it had me wondering when ADV itself would go. But even before that ADV sold off some of its titles to get some cash together a while back.. I thought things were ok with them. Now with ADV gone I really think this shows how bad the American Anime Industry is doing. I really do not want to see the day when we have no anime here in the States. With ADV gone it has me wondering when Funimation will be going belly up.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.